Male HQ

Tablet (like ipad) vs laptop

chsrted

Will you still want to buy a laptop or will you buy a tablet like ipad? Nowadays, tablets got so many free apps and apps that Windows environment would not have, such as tik tok. Is there value in getting a laptop? Even the office app in a tablet, although incomplete functions, seems powerful enough... 

Edited by chsrted

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NeverAsk said:

Actually I quite like tablets, but wonder how long are tablets last? Laptop seems to last longer...  I'm not good in these, struggle to learn more, as I need to buy for kids for their study and project... With very tight budget now days.  

Student do get special school student discount right? That also includes software too. Depending on how reluctant you are about them gaming on them. Have to take that into consideration too. If they are using this for school, you might need to find out which OS or computing devices they use. You do not need too much Processing power depend on what applications they need it for, I doubt it is a lot compare to say those into Pre-U, Poly or Uni. Size is also an issue if they are really young and not want to carry a heavy notebook. If you can get away with a tablet for their use, the better. Less security problem and other setting which can be more easy to screw up in the notebook. Less function with tablet makes it more easy and safer to use.. if the applications suit their school work and school tech setup.

I think without much information, no one here is able to tell you what to get and likely that would be someone who has kids and are already setup for use for their kids. The more practical and precise price to pay, depends very much on the information you share on what it's used for and your kids' studies details. If you leave it to the kids, heheh if they have well off kids, the sky's the limit for the most awesome power computer heheh. I have friends with kids who manage to con their parents to buy something to use but more for gaming of high-end games and parents who know little about computers, bought pricey ones thinking this was what they need for school.

Something to think about.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

10 hours ago, upshot said:

Student do get special school student discount right? That also includes software too. Depending on how reluctant you are about them gaming on them. Have to take that into consideration too. If they are using this for school, you might need to find out which OS or computing devices they use. You do not need too much Processing power depend on what applications they need it for, I doubt it is a lot compare to say those into Pre-U, Poly or Uni. Size is also an issue if they are really young and not want to carry a heavy notebook. If you can get away with a tablet for their use, the better. Less security problem and other setting which can be more easy to screw up in the notebook. Less function with tablet makes it more easy and safer to use.. if the applications suit their school work and school tech setup.

I think without much information, no one here is able to tell you what to get and likely that would be someone who has kids and are already setup for use for their kids. The more practical and precise price to pay, depends very much on the information you share on what it's used for and your kids' studies details. If you leave it to the kids, heheh if they have well off kids, the sky's the limit for the most awesome power computer heheh. I have friends with kids who manage to con their parents to buy something to use but more for gaming of high-end games and parents who know little about computers, bought pricey ones thinking this was what they need for school.

Something to think about.

Thanks for the advice, actually that's true, my kids still in primary school, don't want to invest in something expensive, well especially while facing pat cut + unpaid leave. My expectations are, simple and enough for school projects, and thats all.

I wish I know more about computers or IT stuffs, as an uncle at almost 50, sometimes really need these kind of advice, thanks 🙏

37 minutes ago, NeverAsk said:

Thanks for the advice, actually that's true, my kids still in primary school, don't want to invest in something expensive, well especially while facing pat cut + unpaid leave. My expectations are, simple and enough for school projects, and thats all.

I wish I know more about computers or IT stuffs, as an uncle at almost 50, sometimes really need these kind of advice, thanks 🙏

Any chance you can get to visit the school to ask the teachers? Most would have IT staff at the school to help them setup their tech devices.  They should be able to give you a good indication as to what computer and software is needed IF THAT IS WHY you buying it for? Or was it you who feel they need something for their school work?

You might want to consider this to help you save some money as there are some student incentive scheme for IT devices and software at discount.
https://www.sp.edu.sg/sp/student-services/it-services/it-support/specifications-promotions

Hey man, its a tough year 2020 I know the feeling. Not a time to buy stuff to show off but keep to practical items and useful for them to use and be training to get use to IT stuff. It is the future. I am still on unpaid leave till 2021... this year I am almost basically ownself eat ownself hehe....

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

12 hours ago, upshot said:

Any chance you can get to visit the school to ask the teachers? Most would have IT staff at the school to help them setup their tech devices.  They should be able to give you a good indication as to what computer and software is needed IF THAT IS WHY you buying it for? Or was it you who feel they need something for their school work?

You might want to consider this to help you save some money as there are some student incentive scheme for IT devices and software at discount.
https://www.sp.edu.sg/sp/student-services/it-services/it-support/specifications-promotions

Hey man, its a tough year 2020 I know the feeling. Not a time to buy stuff to show off but keep to practical items and useful for them to use and be training to get use to IT stuff. It is the future. I am still on unpaid leave till 2021... this year I am almost basically ownself eat ownself hehe....

It is tough for me this year, well, I never wanted to buy those very advanced or expensive products even when in those good days, but suddenly laptop and mobile became so in demand on daily life, for kids and myself  😅

Thanks again, definitely good suggestions here. 

40 minutes ago, NeverAsk said:

It is tough for me this year, well, I never wanted to buy those very advanced or expensive products even when in those good days, but suddenly laptop and mobile became so in demand on daily life, for kids and myself  😅

Thanks again, definitely good suggestions here. 

Sure thing man...

Ya, give them a look and check with the school if this is somehow a requirement by them for your kids to use. Arm with that just get something reasonable and get the best or second best. Firstly it's your kids first notebook and being kids how they are taught to care for them at home and school will determine the life span too so take that into account plus what other peripherals you might have to get to go with it so, use that to not over pay for a unit and then find you also need other accessories and software. You might also have to put in some security and check to make certain features in the device off limit to them or those they might share this unit with at school. Personal security and such are important especially if they use it to get on the internet and not just the schools VPN.

7 hours ago, upshot said:

Sure thing man...

Ya, give them a look and check with the school if this is somehow a requirement by them for your kids to use. Arm with that just get something reasonable and get the best or second best.

Sorry man.. I mean do not get the best or second best which is pricey.. something cheaper these day .. as a basic notebook is already good enough. The school might also have a brand a model for you if not the shop might if other students have been there to buy too...

2 hours ago, upshot said:

Sorry man.. I mean do not get the best or second best which is pricey.. something cheaper these day .. as a basic notebook is already good enough. The school might also have a brand a model for you if not the shop might if other students have been there to buy too...

Cool bro 🙏

Ipads "free" apps are not free, they are just approved spyware ,either US spy you or china spy you.

PC/MAC  have windows /mac open source freeware which can run circles around  IOS.

Since work demands confidentiality , PC is still king when it comes to actual work being done securely.

How many WFH can really be done on a IPAD, even if use IPAD 100% of them will use it a slow console remote desktop to a PC workstation

located in office.It just does not have the horsepower to crunch data, debug programme codes or edit videos on its own.

Ipad is just an unnecessary luxury ,more suited to social media gimmick influencers using tik tok,snapchat or instagram.

heck android tablets are better in term of actual usefulness and fun compared to ipad.

It can run  Kodi,running torrents and tons of emulators,xbox cloud gaming and parsec game streaming.

Laptop is still necessary for schoolwork,job and play.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.