Male HQ

Why are millennials so obsessed with superheroes?

FattChoy

In the 90s, teenagers like me would have only one strip of Spiderman comic a day in the newspaper.  That's like 3 or 5 pics.    If you've cool friends maybe you'd get some X-Men or Thor comics.  Nowadays they are everywhere.  You can't miss them if you turn on the TV. 

A few years back I attended an entrepreneur's talk in the business school where I was doing my MBA studies.  During the QnA, a young undergraduate stood up to ask the speaker a question.   (The young man, ~ 20 years old yet he looked like he's over 90kgs in weight.  Since when do undergraduates eat that well?  Aren't they supposed to be carefully using their parents' savings.). So he asked, "If you have a superpower, what would you want it to be?".  It was so cringy that I had to shift in my seat. Oh my God, what must the speaker be thinking about the standards of our university?

So why are millennials so obsessed with superheroes?  Is this some sort of escapism?  Why didn't that boy work on his overweight body rather than watch Netflix all day while sucking on a Cola and eat bags of chips.

Edited by FattChoy

Guest Heylloooo

I'm a millennial myself but definitely not a superheroes fan. I couldn't even follow up with Marvel/DC releases, even when the people around me get so hyped up. There are people in their 30s or above who are big fan of superhero films, so I won't say it's exclusively a millennial thing.

Guest Princess attitude

When I watched superman carrying his gf up into the sky and to give her the view of beautiful sunset, I tell myself I wanted to be like her.  It never comes true and I am still looking for that hero in my life.   Am I normal?

Guest Super Zero

Superheroes are created by the bbfa garage couch potato nerds who dream to be something they are not, ie, hunky well built handsome men parading in their tight spandex underwear outlining their crotch, doing extraordinary things other than work and end up getting the sexy busty svelte girl.

I don't think it's a millennial thing. Superheroes they tend to have a larger following from children, teenagers, and adults up to approximately 40s.

It's just that for us adults, we tend to hide our superheroes obsession better for fear of being teased.

Kids & teenagers can talk loudly about Marvel or D.C. on the bus and no one will care, but if you are a 40s guy, you'll tend not to do that, no matter how big a fan you are.

Lastly, if that guy was 20 a few years ago, he's probably a Gen Z-er, not a millennial.

Omg will u stop... not trying to be rude but what's wrong in what he did...even fantasising about ww or sm how is that wrong. Why is the older generation so adamant in finding anything wrong with the younger one. Calling millennials lazy and what not I mean why are we even fat shaming him, have u seen the food prices McDonalds is cheaper than any healthy food we have. Stop judging ppl and if his question made u cringe and shift inside how is what he said a reflection on u...ur post here is a reflection on u stop judging ppl and try to be a better person than what u were yesterday. 

Believe it or not, this is the type of questions that gets asked during job interviews nowadays:

https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/interview-questions/817677-if-you-were-a-superhero-what-would-your-superpower-be-tricky-graduate-interview

That's how those si ginnah runs the world nowadays. There was also a period of time that people gets turned away from jobs because they don't have much of a online social media footprint. Having just a single Facebook page is not good enough, because they say they need to track your personal social activities to see if your personal life is a match to the profession you are interviewing for. To them, that constitute an excuse not to give you the job. I'm not kidding you. 

We live in very strange times. 

Guest hehehehe

Everyone is looking for their "super hero". Don't believe, go to the gym or sauna, you will be shocked to see plenty of choosey princess & queen around and that includes me....hehehehe

In to my 50s and comics is NOT just a new fad or whatever. At my peak I was an owner of over 3k comics/books/special editions spanning almost 3 decades.

Every decade has their followers of Comic superheroes readers. The millennials are NOT the exclusive audience that got in superheroes. In fact, they are more Marvel and DC Superheroes Movie fans THAN COMICS. The profile of your typical comic readers cuts a broad section of mainly white collars workers if our MBA snob just do his market research when not thumbing his nose at comic readers like these people are failures or wasting their time.

And I do know professionals (including MBAs holders) who read and collect comics since young. My own cousin a neural surgeon still reads and collect comics. Business has profited and benefited from the comic industries on so many levels. You think someone with an "MBA" has problem spotting business potentials in comics but focus on the negativity makes me wonder about your nose for business. Your profiling of people is tainted by bias for even sporting talent. What can you sense as one with a master degree in business when myopic to something like a comic franchise/industry that rakes in billions in revenues ? hahah...

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

The topic is not about MBA, and neither is it about millennials' simple plain obsession with reading comics or seeing movies with superheroes. 

It's about the extent of their obsession that a 20 yo can childishly take the stage and ask speakers what is the superpower that they want to have. I have no clue who those speakers are, but I will find that question cringe-worthy too if they were asked to people of any business importance, such as the CEOs of some financial banks or investments hedge funds. 

Do you go ask people what sex position they like to take, simply because you love sex? Is the fact that sexual activities can help you relax and bring people closer together, even closer to being an appropriate excuse to bring up your sex obsession in public to ask somebody else? If not, why should a person's method of escapism in superheroes powers be used as a question for speakers on stage? 

Some people just love to read the topic the way they seem fit, don't they? That's the reason why some people can get their MBAs and some can never get it. 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

The topic is not about MBA, and neither is it about millennials' simple plain obsession with reading comics or seeing movies with superheroes. 

It's about the extent of their obsession that a 20 yo can childishly take the stage and ask speakers what is the superpower that they want to have. I have no clue who those speakers are, but I will find that question cringe-worthy too if they were asked to people of any business importance, such as the CEOs of some financial banks or investments hedge funds. 

Do you go ask people what sex position they like to take, simply because you love sex? Is the fact that sexual activities can help you relax and bring people closer together, even closer to being an appropriate excuse to bring up your sex obsession in public to ask somebody else? If not, why should a person's method of escapism in superheroes powers be used as a question for speakers on stage? 

Some people just love to read the topic the way they seem fit, don't they? That's the reason why some people can get their MBAs and some can never get it. 

Thanks for your post.  (Can't believe I said that to a Guest Guest post). To your credit, there were many points which hit the nail on the head in those 4 paragraphs.  

I do love to read manga, a lot.  Love Ippo, Kenshiro (from Fist of the North Star), dozens of japanese and HK martial arts manga, Black Joke, Blood and Steel etc etc.  I believe it's a great industry to work in, basically bathing with lots of creativity. Yeah there's a lot of inspiration to be drawn (forgive the pun) from the comic and manga industry.  

[Personally, (and this is a big personally) I feel there're way too many mediocre superhero characters.  I get turned off by Supergirl, The Arrow, Shazam, Ant-Man, the Racoon.  I love Dave Batista but I don't believe his superhero character was relevant, as was Chris Pratt's.  The whole Suicide Squad was meh...  Captain Marvel flying thru the galaxy... really?  And then we have those normal humans in a special suit such as the Hawk, Iron Man, Batman.  On the other hand I love a select few which are really unique, such as Wolverine and Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman nailed both of them), Wonder Woman, Neo and Constantine (both by Keanu) and of course Spidey.]

Ok... a bit off tangent.  My point is yeah I can love comics, but it's not something I bring up with my clients in a professional setting or with a guest speaker in my university.  And I do believe the speaker was quite taken a back.  It was a good thing he was sporting enough to answer, even though there wasn't any connection or relevance to his talk about his startup journey.

Edited by FattChoy

Guest FuttChoy
4 hours ago, Rohanpune said:

Omg will u stop... not trying to be rude but what's wrong in what he did...even fantasising about ww or sm how is that wrong. Why is the older generation so adamant in finding anything wrong with the younger one. Calling millennials lazy and what not I mean why are we even fat shaming him, have u seen the food prices McDonalds is cheaper than any healthy food we have. Stop judging ppl and if his question made u cringe and shift inside how is what he said a reflection on u...ur post here is a reflection on u stop judging ppl and try to be a better person than what u were yesterday. 

Fattchoy has always been a bitchy, arrogant snob. I've seen his posts in other BW threads. Always likes to give people the impression that he is an expert on everything, from health & fitness to finance to religion to social issues to American politics, and now, comics.

And he feels it's his sacred duty to tell people what to do and how they should live their lives, in addition to pronouncing judgements on other people's lifestyles.

His OP is merely a shameless way of telling everyone that he has an MBA, a detail that he was careful not to omit.

I feel the Movies's storyline compared to comics are like night and day. If anyone who watch that contaminated Hollywood movie version takes the time to read especially this decade back where all this silly identity politics and SJW were not about as prevalent, you will see there are comics of not just Marvel or DC and other smaller publishers has character arch and stories that rival some of the best paper bag frictions out there.

If anyone thought, only lazy dumb good for nothing teen and adult reads comics as they are not your 100% throwing themselves at work or studies to maximize their sense of self-worth, you are only seeing half the story. BESIDES, its a goods stress relief to take your mind off the hard edge studies or work. Fill your head with something to distract you even from problems you had with someone or family. Some a lone time and then get back all charged and ready to do the work. Plus it can be inspiring. People who read comics are not loser who are always fantasy as some conservative medias like to belittle it. You know who does that at one time? HOLLY-FUCKING-WOOD... till they saw the millions and billions that rolled into this shitty media Moguls Owner's pockets. Not funny anymore. $$$$$$ and it was going great till greedy and ego came and fuck it up.  NOT only did they fuck up the movie version but now we have toxic idiots pushing their shit into the COMIC realm took. The ones who want their Hollywood 'versions' to be in COMICS but yet will not buy or read them.

The COMIC books industry is NOW DYING for those who do not follow this. What effect comic in the west where they are made will affect comics here too. That is why I have been following this shit toxic for over a decade defending against this SJW and identity politic push. Anyway that's another story and I digress.

The thing is, as with everything we see in life, sometime we are too quick to judge. Me included. We have biases. But if we do not remind ourselves to take in an alternative view how can we ever learn to live in peace and be tolerant of who we are. As LBGTQs+ and knowing that struggle, we have people among us who seem to have forgotten that. This harm the cause. With every 1 step we take forward, stuff like this pull us back 2 steps.

With every group of anything, there WILL always be black sheep. But because of them, you should not paint everyone with the same brush and call them ALL black sheep. Every one gets fucked.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest FuttChoy
11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Btw, nice try, Fattchoy: logging in as a guest to explain and flatter yourself.

That's the reason why some people can get their MBAs and some can never get it. 

Shameless self-praise.

Guest FuttChoy
10 hours ago, FattChoy said:

I do love to read manga, a lot.  Love Ippo, Kenshiro (from Fist of the North Star), dozens of japanese and HK martial arts manga, Black Joke, Blood and Steel etc etc.  I believe it's a great industry to work in, basically bathing with lots of creativity. Yeah there's a lot of inspiration to be drawn (forgive the pun) from the comic and manga industry.  

[Personally, (and this is a big personally) I feel there're way too many mediocre superhero characters.  I get turned off by Supergirl, The Arrow, Shazam, Ant-Man, the Racoon.  I love Dave Batista but I don't believe his superhero character was relevant, as was Chris Pratt's.  The whole Suicide Squad was meh...  Captain Marvel flying thru the galaxy... really?  And then we have those normal humans in a special suit such as the Hawk, Iron Man, Batman.  On the other hand I love a select few which are really unique, such as Wolverine and Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman nailed both of them), Wonder Woman, Neo and Constantine (both by Keanu) and of course Spidey.]

Did it ever occur to you that no one gives a f__k what your views are on the MCU or the Justic League, or what manga you follow?

41 minutes ago, upshot said:

I feel the Movies's storyline compared to comics are like night and day. If anyone who watch that contaminated Hollywood movie version takes the time to read especially this decade back where all this silly identity politics and SJW were not about as prevalent, you will see there are comics of not just Marvel or DC and other smaller publishers has character arch and stories that rival some of the best paper bag frictions out there.

If anyone thought, only lazy dumb good for nothing teen and adult reads comics as they are not your 100% throwing themselves at work or studies to maximize their sense of self-worth, you are only seeing half the story. BESIDES, its a goods stress relief to take your mind off the hard edge studies or work. Fill your head with something to distract you even from problems you had with someone or family. Some a lone time and then get back all charged and ready to do the work. Plus it can be inspiring. People who read comics are not loser who are always fantasy as some conservative medias like to belittle it. You know who does that at one time? HOLLY-FUCKING-WOOD... till they saw the millions and billions that rolled into this shitty media Moguls Owner's pockets. Not funny anymore. $$$$$$ and it was going great till greedy and ego came and fuck it up.  NOT only did they fuck up the movie version but now we have toxic idiots pushing their shit into the COMIC realm took. The ones who want their Hollywood 'versions' to be in COMICS but yet will not buy or read them.

The COMIC books industry is NOW DYING for those who do not follow this. What effect comic in the west where they are made will affect comics here too. That is why I have been following this shit toxic for over a decade defending against this SJW and identity politic push. Anyway that's another story and I digress.

The thing is, as with everything we see in life, sometime we are too quick to judge. Me included. We have biases. But if we do not remind ourselves to take in an alternative view how can we ever learn to live in peace and be tolerant of who we are. As LBGTQs+ and knowing that struggle, we have people among us who seem to have forgotten that. This harm the cause. With every 1 step we take forward, stuff like this pull us back 2 steps.

With every group of anything, there WILL always be black sheep. But because of them, you should not paint everyone with the same brush and call them ALL black sheep. Every one gets fucked.

.... And this long long post has something to do with the question "If you have a superpower, what would you want it to be?" directed to the speakers? How...? 🤷🤷

Every generation had it's obsessions.

Be the superhero in life, do some good instead of no solution critic on different generations.

Every generation is the result of parent's education. Parents here tend to overcare and spoonfeed kids to the max. What can you expect from such kids?

Real work life will bring them on the grounds, guess why so many Millenials are running coffees and other food outlets instead of taking up management positions.

Singapore's school education seriously lacked (lacks) on openness, creativity and issue resolving, kids will run into fiction.

My youth had been void without Tintin...

The issue is to deplug from fantasy and fiction and get into real life to realise I (a millenial) have been chasing the wrong things....

Singapore needs more space for creativity and accepting alternative views and lifestyles to excel in future...

18 minutes ago, singalion said:

Every generation had it's obsessions.

Be the superhero in life, do some good instead of no solution critic on different generations.

Every generation is the result of parent's education. Parents here tend to overcare and spoonfeed kids to the max. What can you expect from such kids?

Real work life will bring them on the grounds, guess why so many Millenials are running coffees and other food outlets instead of taking up management positions.

Singapore's school education seriously lacked (lacks) on openness, creativity and issue resolving, kids will run into fiction.

My youth had been void without Tintin...

The issue is to deplug from fantasy and fiction and get into real life to realise I (a millenial) have been chasing the wrong things....

Singapore needs more space for creativity and accepting alternative views and lifestyles to excel in future...

.... And again, this long long post has something to do with the question "If you have a superpower, what would you want it to be?" directed to the speakers? Hooowwwww...? 🤷🤷🤷🤷

11 hours ago, Guest FuttChoy said:

Fattchoy has always been a bitchy, arrogant snob. I've seen his posts in other BW threads. Always likes to give people the impression that he is an expert on everything, from health & fitness to finance to religion to social issues to American politics, and now, comics.

And he feels it's his sacred duty to tell people what to do and how they should live their lives, in addition to pronouncing judgements on other people's lifestyles.

His OP is merely a shameless way of telling everyone that he has an MBA, a detail that he was careful not to omit.

Thanks so much.... I felt like I was the only one when I was replying thanks for the support 👍

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

.... And again, this long long post has something to do with the question "If you have a superpower, what would you want it to be?" directed to the speakers? Hooowwwww...? 🤷🤷🤷🤷

Great!

You!, our lil pet troll, really have a talent to demonstrate to the total BW community on your limited intellectual abilities and serious lack of comprehension skills

I copied the title for you again: Can you read it loud for all of us again? 

https://www.blowingwind.io/forum/topic/110156-why-are-millennials-so-obsessed-with-superheroes

And here is the initial post from the TS, you should read it for us from start to end please: 

Where does it say anything about superpowers and what you want to be???  

Are you nearing the age of getting eye sight issues? 

And for your info: My reply post is even shorter than the TS's initiating post. 

Thanks for the post. You made yourself to the laughing stock of BW.... ROFL

We permit you to function as our pet troll on BW and now you even fail as a troll... so disappointed...Can you tell us what you are left being good for????

PS: Do you need an executive summary?

On 9/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, FattChoy said:

In the 90s, teenagers like me would have only one strip of Spiderman comic a day in the newspaper.  That's like 3 or 5 pics.    If you've cool friends maybe you'd get some X-Men or Thor comics.  Nowadays they are everywhere.  You can't miss them if you turn on the TV. 

A few years back I attended an entrepreneur's talk in the business school where I was doing my MBA studies.  During the QnA, a young undergraduate stood up to ask the speaker a question.   (The young man, ~ 20 years old yet he looked like he's over 90kgs in weight.  Since when do undergraduates eat that well?  Aren't they supposed to be carefully using their parents' savings.). So he asked, "If you have a superpower, what would you want it to be?".  It was so cringy that I had to shift in my seat. Oh my God, what must the speaker be thinking about the standards of our university?

So why are millennials so obsessed with superheroes?  Is this some sort of escapism?  Why didn't that boy work on his overweight body rather than watch Netflix all day while sucking on a Cola and eat bags of chips.

34 minutes ago, singalion said:

I copied the title for you again: Can you read it loud for all of us again? 

https://www.blowingwind.io/forum/topic/110156-why-are-millennials-so-obsessed-with-superheroes

This is what you call "copied the title"? Copy also don't know how to copy, still want to talk about " intellectual abilities and comprehension skills."?  

The type of foreign trash we have here in Singapore. Really win liao lor .. 

yes exactly!

Lil pet troll, you just gave more evidence and proof why Singapore needs Foreign Talent here.

You just can't do it! What a shame.

Can't see the title of the thread?

Need Foreign Talent to show you???

Even this infamous BW pet troll in total decline now....

Let's hope the Foreign Talent is not going to give up on Singapore and move to more promising locations in SEA if this goes on.... 🤣

Edited by singalion
'-

6 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

This is what you call "copied the title"? Copy also don't know how to copy, still want to talk about " intellectual abilities and comprehension skills."?  

The type of foreign trash we have here in Singapore. Really win liao lor .. 

What grudge you have with him? Isit because he is a foreigner so you treat him badly? 

There are good and bad people in this world, irregardless of race and nationality. You sound more like local trash to me from the way you replied. I rather have him / these type of foreigner in our country to contribute to the world than a local like you who only trash talk and not contribute and only suck and drain people energy. 

2 hours ago, Kimochi said:

What grudge you have with him? Isit because he is a foreigner so you treat him badly? 

There are good and bad people in this world, irregardless of race and nationality. You sound more like local trash to me from the way you replied. I rather have him / these type of foreigner in our country to contribute to the world than a local like you who only trash talk and not contribute and only suck and drain people energy. 

You mean that guy who butt his nose into countless threads and derail it with his nonsense and incoherent logic in multiple threads? The same one who told another member to quickly have sex with a prostitute because he hasn't have sex with a woman even though he is 29 years old? The guy who tried to hide facts by using population statistic numbers from 1958 and pretend to be recent ones? He is disliked by multiple people here.

The question is what love you have with him? Is it because he is a foreigner so you treat him nicely?  AMDK? Colonial hangover? 

You mean that guy who butt his nose into countless threads and derail it with his nonsense and incoherent logic in multiple threads? The same one who told another member to quickly have sex with a prostitute because he hasn't have sex with a woman even though he is 29 years old? The guy who tried to hide facts by using population statistic numbers from 1958 and pretend to be recent ones? He is disliked by multiple people here.

The question is what love you have with him? Is it because he is a foreigner so you treat him nicely?  AMDK? Colonial hangover? 

No need love. Just observation is enough. As for your "he is disliked by multiple people here. " 

Where's your source? 

5 minutes ago, Kimochi said:

No need love. Just observation is enough. As for your "he is disliked by multiple people here. " 

Where's your source? 

Multiple may be only two.  You are falling into a trap.

He is willing to contribute his own opinions.  More over, as a registered member.  I myself appreciate it.  Even if he is giving Nightingale and Upshot a run for their money.

9 minutes ago, Kimochi said:

Where's your source? 

There is an entire thread dedicated to him in the Flaming Room somewhere, among a few topics in the Main Forum where he got into fights with different people in different threads. Go look for them yourself. 

4 minutes ago, wilfgene said:

He is willing to contribute his own opinions.  More over, as a registered member.  I myself appreciate it.  Even if he is giving Nightingale and Upshot a run for their money.

This type of "money" is best given away of he so gian them. No loss to Nightingale and upshot. 

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

😱😱😱

OMG, later our pet troll of BW will be running to Josephine T and and that opposition Lim T for help and claim I am Foreign Talent and stole his job as the infamous TROLL of Blowing Wind...

😱😱😱

Edited by singalion

There is an entire thread dedicated to him in the Flaming Room somewhere, among a few topics in the Main Forum where he got into fights with different people in different threads. Go look for them yourself. 

As much as I like to take credits, but I prefer such from reliable sources and trusted persons. Anyway I have enough ego to give credit to myself,

however, everyone at BW knows that the complete Flaming Room is dedicated to you...

No need to be shy , lil pet troll of BW.... take the credits ok.

💯%     😇

1 hour ago, wilfgene said:

But bet, I m not gonna lick Nightingale's feet. 🤣

Maybe it's a sign of times.

Superheroes movies are the rage now because

... there is more uncertainty such as gig work, more unequality with rich getting richer. Makes u feel one good person can solve these problems.

... attention span becomes shortér. Less patience for dialogue-heavy films.

5 hours ago, wilfgene said:

Ahhhh bro.,.. don't get me involve in this whole fiasco. :P 

I write stuff when I have something to share as alternative or something really amiss and my personal conscious feel the need to express towards misguided comments. Take it or leave it input on my part. Plus it's a passing time thingy for me especially COVID19. Not working still. And to get typing practice to help my dyslexia which needs constant work so it does not go back down. Apart from that, there's totally no-gain in here or more importantly, the real world.

As we can see, some use it as something benefiting their ego and self-esteem issue quite possibly in the real world. Where failings in their life or a mean streak enjoy hurting others,  they sort to use the anonymity of the online world to retaliate coward as that is. The rest of us, we suffer no such hang-ups or animosity thus might find it hard to relate to them. Count ourselves lucky. 

I am an unknown (Registered though I am) like everyone here. My real life and identity does not come with my UPSHOT nick.  Yews some here do know me in real life or encounters but I choose just like the other party do too. A digital made up world leaning more to the shadow and infamy of all things sexual and taboos. We are not YouTube Stardom. So no ounce of fame, no reputation, no endorsement, no reward and for sure no PATREON MONEY. hehehe in other words.. BOH LIAU PARTICIPATION. The only good, my anonymity allows me the benefit of sharing candid banter especially on sexual lifestyle.

But anything else, I throw in my two cents. At my age which I am proud of; and broad life experiences, I offer what I can back, paying it forward or in return for those years, I benefited from the goodness people when I was young. That is all for me.

I wish they can take away all those point scores and so called 'online ranking' in BW. I would still act the way I act still. But I am sure there are those who like it and live off them. I don't. I do choose which thread I 'kapor'. I have nothing to add, I leave it. In fact, other forums I hang HAS NO ranking profiling BUT everyone is registered which I think helps a lot to keep things civil. But I accept whatever BW set as their participation rules since I want to roost here as much as I dislike that part.

Trolls will be trolls. Nothing worse than drama-queens with the power of internet hiding behind a screen. Let's not give them more attention as that is what they FEED on it like a parasite on a host. Self-esteem issues or just plain narcissistic tendency. Or what some are calling them "The Look at Me" people. Minimum engagement but never go full drama with them. They all feed on it as their only purpose of existence. Sad.

Like my ever loyal BW hater stalkers, I am sure they will be out of the wood work to give me an eye full soon. It's feeding time for them. I choose when to 'feed' them and how. Don't let them get a raise out of you. Life's too short. This old man's got better fish to fry. :P

I remember superheroes long before the time of the millennials 

When I was a child, a very serious one,  my mind was in technical things, mathematics, music, physics.  And I considered superheroes something for dumb children younger than me. 

Now that I am a little older, I am much more childish and I like to speculate over " "If you have a superpower, what would you want it to be?". 

If I were a superhero with my superpower,  I would immediately take control of the United Nations.  I would have a big installation with machines to slice salami, and I would throw into these machines the tyrants, dictators, oligarch, religious absolutists of this world.   

I would go with my superpower after Kim Jong Un, Anwar Sadat, Putin, Donald Trump,  Bolsonaro, Nicolas Maduro, Raul Castro, Benjamin Netanyahu, Xi Jinping, Salman bin Abdulaziz, Hassan Rouhani and a couple more,  all these in my first round to break in the slicing machines.  On a second round I would take on those other scumbags I haven't mention yet.  And on the third and successive rounds I would pick up up all the co-conspirators of these scumbags who helped them to stay in power.  This should keep my machines busy!

Then I would be very, very busy filling in the power vacuum left by the removal of these low-lives and establish democratic progressive governments ruled by honest and competent people, selected by me until my education reforms could lift the competence level of many of the involved populations, making them able to select decent leaders by themselves. 

Then I would kindly and with much care remove the possession of the big churches, temples, mosques, synagogues from the organized religions that own them now, and convert them into nice museums and cultural centers,  while the religious organizations would have permission to officiate their cults online, if they are well behaved.  All the religious dogmas that victimize certain minorities would have to be proven with real facts, and if not of divine source they are succinctly terminated immediately.    

Once religious fantasies are out of the way, I would promulgate all means that reduce conception, and put an end to rampant overpopulation.  Together with this, I would push for extensive research and development of clean sources of energy. 

In all the above, I assume that my superpowers include also an unlimited life span as superhero,  which I will be able to end at will and return to be a normal person and enjoy the changes the superhero has achieved. 

7 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I remember superheroes long before the time of the millennials 

When I was a child, a very serious one,  my mind was in technical things, mathematics, music, physics.  And I considered superheroes something for dumb children younger than me. 

Now that I am a little older, I am much more childish and I like to speculate over " "If you have a superpower, what would you want it to be?". 

If I were a superhero with my superpower,  I would immediately take control of the United Nations.  I would have a big installation with machines to slice salami, and I would throw into these machines the tyrants, dictators, oligarch, religious absolutists of this world.   

I would go with my superpower after Kim Jong Un, Anwar Sadat, Putin, Donald Trump,  Bolsonaro, Nicolas Maduro, Raul Castro, Benjamin Netanyahu, Xi Jinping, Salman bin Abdulaziz, Hassan Rouhani and a couple more,  all these in my first round to break in the slicing machines.  On a second round I would take on those other scumbags I haven't mention yet.  And on the third and successive rounds I would pick up up all the co-conspirators of these scumbags who helped them to stay in power.  This should keep my machines busy!

Then I would be very, very busy filling in the power vacuum left by the removal of these low-lives and establish democratic progressive governments ruled by honest and competent people, selected by me until my education reforms could lift the competence level of many of the involved populations, making them able to select decent leaders by themselves. 

Then I would kindly and with much care remove the possession of the big churches, temples, mosques, synagogues from the organized religions that own them now, and convert them into nice museums and cultural centers,  while the religious organizations would have permission to officiate their cults online, if they are well behaved.  All the religious dogmas that victimize certain minorities would have to be proven with real facts, and if not of divine source they are succinctly terminated immediately.    

Once religious fantasies are out of the way, I would promulgate all means that reduce conception, and put an end to rampant overpopulation.  Together with this, I would push for extensive research and development of clean sources of energy. 

In all the above, I assume that my superpowers include also an unlimited life span as superhero,  which I will be able to end at will and return to be a normal person and enjoy the changes the superhero has achieved. 

And you will succeed them to be the next dictator.

Guest Love Angel
9 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

What will you be doing for the gay after your pleasurable spree in killing innocent lives?

Guest Meanly Preacher
On 9/27/2020 at 11:44 AM, auscent said:

Maybe it's a sign of times.

Superheroes movies are the rage now because

... there is more uncertainty such as gig work, more unequality with rich getting richer. Makes u feel one good person can solve these problems.

... attention span becomes shortér. Less patience for dialogue-heavy films.

I think another reason superhero movies are all the rage now is because they are one of the only original movie genres coming out of Hollywood while nearly everything else seems to be a remake of concepts from the 1980s or 1990s.

WTF is the point of remaking Mulan for example? The 1990s version holds up just fine today. I don't need a new version. Show me something original. I feel the same about remaking Ghostbusters or belated sequels like Tron: Legacy.

At least with the MCU and DCEU movies, we are getting superheroes we previously only knew from comic books and cartoons onto the big screen, where they can make a much bigger impact on the world and validate our fandom.

I loved the cultural impact of Black Panther (RIP Chadwick Boseman) and hope there is a similar effect for Asians once Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu & The Legend of the 10 Rings is finally completed and released in the near future.

Guest FuttChoy
On 9/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, FattChoy said:

A few years back I attended an entrepreneur's talk in the business school where I was doing my MBA studies. 

So they offer MBA courses in Hokkien now, to cater to your age group and background?

Guest hollywood
1 hour ago, Guest Meanly Preacher said:

I think another reason superhero movies are all the rage now is because they are one of the only original movie genres coming out of Hollywood while nearly everything else seems to be a remake of concepts from the 1980s or 1990s.

WTF is the point of remaking Mulan for example? The 1990s version holds up just fine today. I don't need a new version. Show me something original. I feel the same about remaking Ghostbusters or belated sequels like Tron: Legacy.

At least with the MCU and DCEU movies, we are getting superheroes we previously only knew from comic books and cartoons onto the big screen, where they can make a much bigger impact on the world and validate our fandom.

I loved the cultural impact of Black Panther (RIP Chadwick Boseman) and hope there is a similar effect for Asians once Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu & The Legend of the 10 Rings is finally completed and released in the near future.

Don't like 96.5 % of all American movies... am a European Movie lover, ... superheros in real life...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.