Male HQ

I just can't get along with this older ex colleague!

leantonedboy

Recently I decided to have a meal with an old ex colleague (it was my previous workplace). 
Me and him don’t really talk much back in the office as he was just a temporary staff. Also because me and my group of friends can’t seem to click/vibe with him (we’re not sure why but it is just that way). 

However we are friends on social media and at times we will have small chats but only partly due to work. 

So sometimes randomly on social media he does ask me few advices on stuff, life, etc once a while and I usually reply very generically. What I know of him is that he kinda took the long journey in his education (at his age now 33yrs old, he is only completing his diploma tertiary education). From what I can see, he seem to be like this very timid guy who doesn’t have a lot of friends around him. He does pull of as someone that needed attention. 

So because of this whole pandemic going on this year, I decided to ask for some chat over coffee (which turnout to be a dinner instead). Like why not right. It should be harmless. 

When I asked over social media where should we head over for dinner, he mentioned that he is a student currently and his pocket is not so deep, so he suggested to go somewhere else. Ok fine I understand and so I decided to be nice and say why not I treat for this round. The fact that he didn’t sound humble at all, makes me a little uneasy about a person. 

Fast forward to the dinner, the moment we sat down, he reminded again and said, “u are paying for dinner right?” I was joking ard and mentioned that “who say i’m paying? hahah” And then he goes saying “oh really? If it is real then i will go back home” At that point of time, I was already question mark all over my head. Never encounter such awkward situation before. 

So fast forward and the food came and I wanted to have some conversation. He then wanted to start bitchin about our old workplace. I was so turn off by this because I was so over that phase and really, I am at my age now where I just dun like having this kind of conversations. Then he kept on bragging about what he is doing in his school and wanted to show me all of the publications that he was doing blah blah blah. After I go on saying like “good job” or “wow that’s great”, the conversation stops there and he gave this look like “of course” Wow really ... At this point, I was already wanted to get out from that place. 

And my pet peeve when I am trying to make a point in the conversation and then he goes interrupting and goes on trying to say a whole new conversation, my god I really can’t stand this.

It was obvious that he doesn’t have a lot of friends. I guess he thought I wanted to be close to him. He was asking where I workout and he was hoping I could train him. But at this point I was ready to go back home. 

So once i paid for the dinner, I told him it is late and we should go catch the train. That was the last time he see me. Because there won’t be a next time. 

I guess now I really know why I can’t click. Like I was just trying to be nice and wanting to give this friendship a chance but I guess my first instinct was already right. Whatever it is, I hope this will be a lesson for me too. 

First, you already don't click in the office, then you asked him out? Then you dun click during dinner, and you come here to bitch about him? Maybe he's proud of the publication, that's why he wanted to talk about it? Talking about the previous office affair is a good start since that's the common area, so what's surprising about it? If he's still studying, then I won't expect him to pay too, since you are more financially independent. 

Why meet up with him in the first place? You got something to sell him? I think you are no holy angel yourself. 

21 minutes ago, leantonedboy said:

Recently I decided to have a meal with an old ex colleague (it was my previous workplace). 

....  etc. etc.

I don't see how your story matches the title of your thread.  And I don't see the point of it.

Should we condemn your "old man" too?  Should we feel sorry for you?

I am in a position to write about "young boy stuck in an older man's body"  because I am an older man,  and the ME of all my childhood is forever inside my heart.

But my story will be a happy one,  a story of love, of discovery, of growth, of overcoming, from a young boy who is proud of what he has become, and who is so pleased to be inside my heart.  And the pleasure is mutual. :) 

• G_M changed the title to I just can't get along with this older ex colleague!
1 hour ago, leantonedboy said:

When I asked over social media where should we head over for dinner, he mentioned that he is a student currently and his pocket is not so deep, so he suggested to go somewhere else. Ok fine I understand and so I decided to be nice and say why not I treat for this round. The fact that he didn’t sound humble at all, makes me a little uneasy about a person. 

Fast forward to the dinner, the moment we sat down, he reminded again and said, “u are paying for dinner right?” I was joking ard and mentioned that “who say i’m paying? hahah” And then he goes saying “oh really? If it is real then i will go back home” At that point of time, I was already question mark all over my head. Never encounter such awkward situation before. 

So fast forward and the food came and I wanted to have some conversation. He then wanted to start bitchin about our old workplace. I was so turn off by this because I was so over that phase and really, I am at my age now where I just dun like having this kind of conversations. Then he kept on bragging about what he is doing in his school and wanted to show me all of the publications that he was doing blah blah blah. After I go on saying like “good job” or “wow that’s great”, the conversation stops there and he gave this look like “of course” Wow really ... At this point, I was already wanted to get out from that place. 

He already mentioned he is poor and you joke that you are not paying of cause he will get panic and land into a awkward situation lol. When one party mention that he is poor you can suggest for a meet up in a cheaper area like the food court or the hawker center instead of some high class restaurant. A food court is normally preferred due to air con much more comfortable. In food court or hawker center environment, if he still dont want to go dutch and want you to pay for it than he is too stingy already and not worthy to be friends with.

From the conversation you mentioned, I most probably will feel bored and want to end the conversation asap as well. Its best to have a common interest topic when meet up so both will have things to contribute when talking.

Guest attitude issue

Actually I smell the TS is somehow jealous of this former  colleague.

It was your own decision to meet for dinner.

Not sure what you wanted to achieve?

7 hours ago, leantonedboy said:

Obviously, your "joke" is not funny to people who are not so well to do. But you still make this kind of "joke" even though you know he is in some kind of financial difficulty/constraint. Why?

Edited by happiness

Why does it seems to me like you are asking him out to humiliate him again lidat... 

Anyway he seems to be a passive person and also not the party goer type. 

And about cant get along...  It works both ways again.

Edited by Kimochi

There's no query or anything in the thread ... perhaps looking for approval or just to share stories.

I'll just throw in a quick comment You choose who you want to be friends with .... so, if doesn't click, move on.

Guest Try and see

Usually guys at 33 can be very hunky and cute if they make an effort to maintain their fitness and dress well. I wouldn't call a 33-year-old guy "old".

When you said "old ex colleague", I thought he was in his 50s or 60s!

Anyway, some guys don't have good social skills, and fall into the trap of complaining too much when they are talking to people, without realising that it can be a bit of a turn off. I'm guilty of that myself  😛

In any case, he may not really be a bad guy, just that he never had the opportunities that other people had, hence his doing his diploma at his age.

On that note, it does sound like he has an inferiority complex, hence he feels the need to brag and show you all his publications. Generally, a secure guy won't do that.

Anyway, if his behaviour bothers you a lot, then don't ask him out anymore.  😀

Side note: I have a personal rule that I never let a younger person treat me to a meal, regardless of employment status. Either you go dutch, or you treat the younger guy. Need to have some dignity and self-respect. Asking a younger guy to treat you to a meal, and then reminding him of it before the meal starts, is a bit shameless and a turnoff.

Guest Bystander

When I first read your post, I thought you might have made an innocent mistake with the word "old" ex colleague.  That, the intention was to refer a past tense - "old" as synonymous to a "past" working colleague.  It is when I read on the title that obviously indicates your standpoint.  Perhaps, when you claimed that you are a lean-toned-boy (your username), any other men whom are not at your age (a 'boy') must be (by your preference) is an old guy?

I wonder, at this point, if a guy is not toned, would you consider him fat/fleshy/overweight?

Back to your thread which you tagged it as 'story/encounters', what is your real storyline? 

You ended your story with, "I guess now I really know why I can’t click. Like I was just trying to be nice and wanting to give this friendship a chance but I guess my first instinct was already right".

Did you really try "to be nice and wanting to give this friendship a chance" in the first place?  When someone is trying "to be nice", one should not have relied on "my first instinct was already right" to start with.  This, in itself, is an erroneous flaw.  The initial thought has already, dominantly, labelled him negatively.

Yes, while you thought you were trying to "give this friendship a chance", the intent did not potentially complement.  You were, unknowingly, trying to prove to yourself that he has issues.  That, your "old ex colleague" is "of someone that needed attention".

Perhaps, if you had done your act with empathy when asking him out, the outcome might have turned out differently.  While he may not be the most eloquent and positive guy, the lesson that you might learn here is about being compassion. 

Another lesson that you might want to learn here - do know that when a man is financially tight, he can become edgy when he has to spend unnecessarily.  You may think $10 is no big deal but it is for and to him.   

19 hours ago, leantonedboy said:

Me and him don’t really talk much back in the office as he was just a temporary staff. Also because me and my group of friends can’t seem to click/vibe with him (we’re not sure why but it is just that way). 

However we are friends on social media and at times we will have small chats but only partly due to work. 

So sometimes randomly on social media he does ask me few advices on stuff, life, etc once a while and I usually reply very generically. What I know of him is that he kinda took the long journey in his education (at his age now 33yrs old, he is only completing his diploma tertiary education). From what I can see, he seem to be like this very timid guy who doesn’t have a lot of friends around him. He does pull of as someone that needed attention. 

So because of this whole pandemic going on this year, I decided to ask for some chat over coffee (which turnout to be a dinner instead). Like why not right. It should be harmless. 

And my pet peeve when I am trying to make a point in the conversation and then he goes interrupting and goes on trying to say a whole new conversation, my god I really can’t stand this.

It was obvious that he doesn’t have a lot of friends. I guess he thought I wanted to be close to him. He was asking where I workout and he was hoping I could train him. But at this point I was ready to go back home. 

So once i paid for the dinner, I told him it is late and we should go catch the train. That was the last time he see me. Because there won’t be a next time. 

I guess now I really know why I can’t click. Like I was just trying to be nice and wanting to give this friendship a chance but I guess my first instinct was already right. Whatever it is, I hope this will be a lesson for me too. 

By old, I guess ts meant not new, but not not young. Do note, the title, older ex colleague was not written by ts.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

On 10/12/2020 at 11:57 PM, leantonedboy said:

I hope you learned a crucial life lesson here.  Don't assume everyone is equal.  Some people are just trash.  Human trash. There's no point to engage these losers. Pick your friends carefully.

You'll find that others are even worse.  Wait till you come across those rabid dogs type, who randomly bite passerbys.  You can't treat these type of people with "human rules".  You just need to keep your eyes open and stay away from them.

Edited by FattChoy

Guest older not old
10 hours ago, Guest Try and see said:

Usually guys at 33 can be very hunky and cute if they make an effort to maintain their fitness and dress well. I wouldn't call a 33-year-old guy "old".

When you said "old ex colleague", I thought he was in his 50s or 60s!

Anyway, some guys don't have good social skills, and fall into the trap of complaining too much when they are talking to people, without realising that it can be a bit of a turn off. I'm guilty of that myself  😛

In any case, he may not really be a bad guy, just that he never had the opportunities that other people had, hence his doing his diploma at his age.

On that note, it does sound like he has an inferiority complex, hence he feels the need to brag and show you all his publications. Generally, a secure guy won't do that.

Anyway, if his behaviour bothers you a lot, then don't ask him out anymore.  😀

Side note: I have a personal rule that I never let a younger person treat me to a meal, regardless of employment status. Either you go dutch, or you treat the younger guy. Need to have some dignity and self-respect. Asking a younger guy to treat you to a meal, and then reminding him of it before the meal starts, is a bit shameless and a turnoff.

please note TS wrote "older" guy, he did not write old.

Older just means the ex employee is older than TS. 

Please read post more carefully in future then you won't jump on wrong conclusions so easily.

Guest reflection
31 minutes ago, FattChoy said:

I hope you learned a crucial life lesson here.  Don't assume everyone is equal.  Some people are just trash.  Human trash. There's no point to engage these losers. Pick your friends carefully.

You'll find that others are even worse.  Wait till you come across those rabid dogs type, who randomly bite passerbys.  You can't treat these type of people with "human rules".  You just need to keep your eyes open and stay away from them.

Only because someone has a snobish attitude, it must not mean the other person is human trash. Actually it is not nice to call other people "human trash". 

The ex colleague could be paying off his house or something and that might be the reason for not running into costs.

It was at the discretion of TS to go for a "cheaper" dinner. It is not nice of the TS now afterwards to call out on the ex colleague or paint him as a freeloader.

Generally, you don't invite people for a dinner and later complain on them, otherwise the offer was never honest.

I think the TS can look into the mirror too showing such behaviour...

59 minutes ago, FattChoy said:

You posted recently in the thread "Buddhist discussion".   You think that the Buddha would agree with your estimation that "some people are just trash. Human trash. There is no point to engage these losers"?

We can try a different life lesson here:  if we engage in person some of this "human trash",  we may learn that the differences between them and us are only circumstantial, not really of deep essence.   Destiny gives out attributes in what seems to be a capricious way.  Some of us get the long side of the stick, others get the short side.

9 hours ago, FattChoy said:

Just because some people is not financially well and accept people treating them food, you would label them as "Human trash" only shows how nasty you are. I would say you are the real "Human trash" with rabid dogs attitudes who randomly bite passerbys.

It is also no fault of other people if they like to brag what they think they are good at and you just get jealous of others who do it and keep biting on them non stop like a rabid dog. You are a person who only gets jealous at others positive mindset.

You say you dont want to treat these type of people with "human rules", what rules you want to treat them as? These people never done anything wrong and you dont want to treat them as humans only shows your one sided delusional mindset and horrible attitudes you are having.

One even more important crucial life lesson here is for TS to avoid the most nasty people in this world. Your comment is practically a very good example of it.

20 hours ago, begleitung said:

Well said

i don’t get the point of the story 2.  

so u r telling us u wont c the guy againn, rite?

like someone else askedd, is he cute, lol. 

Hahaha nope he is not cute btw. Normal looking only 

Anyways I won’t be meeting him again I guess but if I see him outside on the streets I will say ‘hie’ I guess. 

I am just putting this story here, not asking for any opinions. But surprised to see much comments hehe. 

Btw thanks for all the comments. This are all life experiences. We meet different people in our life 😁

18 hours ago, Guest Bystander said:

When I first read your post, I thought you might have made an innocent mistake with the word "old" ex colleague.  That, the intention was to refer a past tense - "old" as synonymous to a "past" working colleague.  It is when I read on the title that obviously indicates your standpoint.  Perhaps, when you claimed that you are a lean-toned-boy (your username), any other men whom are not at your age (a 'boy') must be (by your preference) is an old guy?

I wonder, at this point, if a guy is not toned, would you consider him fat/fleshy/overweight?

Back to your thread which you tagged it as 'story/encounters', what is your real storyline? 

You ended your story with, "I guess now I really know why I can’t click. Like I was just trying to be nice and wanting to give this friendship a chance but I guess my first instinct was already right".

Did you really try "to be nice and wanting to give this friendship a chance" in the first place?  When someone is trying "to be nice", one should not have relied on "my first instinct was already right" to start with.  This, in itself, is an erroneous flaw.  The initial thought has already, dominantly, labelled him negatively.

Yes, while you thought you were trying to "give this friendship a chance", the intent did not potentially complement.  You were, unknowingly, trying to prove to yourself that he has issues.  That, your "old ex colleague" is "of someone that needed attention".

Perhaps, if you had done your act with empathy when asking him out, the outcome might have turned out differently.  While he may not be the most eloquent and positive guy, the lesson that you might learn here is about being compassion. 

Another lesson that you might want to learn here - do know that when a man is financially tight, he can become edgy when he has to spend unnecessarily.  You may think $10 is no big deal but it is for and to him.   

Thanks for that perspective :) 

don't think it's gotta do with age tho

there are some older dudes who are excellent conversationalists.

and there are some younger dudes who are like sgtclunks.

most of the times, we get good vibes or bad vibes when we meet a person; even here u can figure out who are the fidiots here from their posts.

i would have avoided these fidiots.

just curious as to why u invited him out, since u didn't any have good impression in the first place.

2 hours ago, Beefycub said:

don't think it's gotta do with age tho

there are some older dudes who are excellent conversationalists.

and there are some younger dudes who are like sgtclunks.

most of the times, we get good vibes or bad vibes when we meet a person; even here u can figure out who are the fidiots here from their posts.

i would have avoided these fidiots.

just curious as to why u invited him out, since u didn't any have good impression in the first place.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:56 AM, Ben S said:

There's no query or anything in the thread ... perhaps looking for approval or just to share stories.

I'll just throw in a quick comment You choose who you want to be friends with .... so, if doesn't click, move on.

Guest FuttChoy
On 10/14/2020 at 2:07 AM, Guest reflection said:

Only because someone has a snobish attitude, it must not mean the other person is human trash. Actually it is not nice to call other people "human trash". 

The ex colleague could be paying off his house or something and that might be the reason for not running into costs.

It was at the discretion of TS to go for a "cheaper" dinner. It is not nice of the TS now afterwards to call out on the ex colleague or paint him as a freeloader....

On 10/14/2020 at 2:32 AM, Steve5380 said:

You posted recently in the thread "Buddhist discussion".   You think that the Buddha would agree with your estimation that "some people are just trash. Human trash. There is no point to engage these losers"?

Fattchoy is a very pompous and arrogant prick. I've seen his posts in other threads.

He likes to call other people names like "stupid", "ignorant", and now, "human trash", while parading how smart/educated/learned he is.  

He often replies to BW posts via insults, while claiming to be an expert on everything, from sports to fitness to leisure to finance to economics to religion to social issues to race to American politics to Marvel/DC superheroes to anime.  🤮

Just a while back, while starting a new BW thread about why young people are obsessed with Marvel/DC superheroes, he made sure to mention that he has an MBA, even though it's irrelevant to the post topic.

@Steve: Buddhist, you say he is?

What a disgrace and insult to Buddhism Fattchoy is! And you are very right to call him out on that. On the one hand he claims to be a follower of Buddha. And then he goes around calling people "human trash", people who are just struggling to make ends meet and may have been born with fewer opportunities in life.

It appears that Fattchoy is the real human trash here.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:52 AM, Guest older not old said:

Please read post more carefully in future then you won't jump on wrong conclusions so easily.

If you scroll further up, you can see the original title. Talk about ironic. lol

Guest Try and see
On 10/14/2020 at 1:52 AM, Guest older not old said:

Yes, TS wrote "old".

See his first post:

"Recently I decided to have a meal with an old ex colleague ..."

It was the moderator who amended the thread topic to "older".

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.