Male HQ

Why do people argue almost evrything?

Guest Danny

I have no idea about quokkas but I agree that people argue about almost everything. 

My view is that the internet has totally changed not only our way of life but the way we interact with others. Think about it for a moment. Before the internet, how did people interact with each other? Partly by fixed line phones and letters. If meeting in person, it was often by going to a cafe or pub with friends, perhaps having a meal, seeing someone at a party, perhaps playing the same sporting activity. People had to be much more open with each other and very little could be hidden.

When we interact on a personal basis, most of us can have a laugh, agree, disagree, put forward arguments and counter arguments - but we do so in a basically amicable way. If we do not like someone, we cannot make them disappear. Conversely if we like someone, how many will immediately ask for sex with him? Hardly any unless it is at a gay disco or pub.

With the internet and the apps, the guards we erect when we meet others in person completely disappear. Not only are communications instant, they can be totally anonymous. Unlike at home or at work, we are all powerful. We can say what we like to whom we like. If someone pisses us off, we put them on ignore or use the block button. Over time, this becomes just a game we play, like the other computer games on which many are hooked. The danger as I see it is that over time this may make real interaction between people more difficult. I hope I am wrong.

Edited by InBangkok

3 minutes ago, Guest Chit chatter said:

Argue, debate, discuss. Don't confused them.

We can put across our views, even if we disagree without having to argue or quarrel. 

It took me a while to learn that.  And I’m happier in that aspect. 

1 hour ago, InBangkok said:

I have no idea about quokkas but I agree that people argue about almost everything. 

My view is that the internet has totally changed not only our way of life but the way we interact with others. Think about it for a moment. Before the internet, how did people interact with each other? Partly by fixed line phones and letters. If meeting in person, it was often by going to a cafe or pub with friends, perhaps having a meal, seeing someone at a party, perhaps playing the same sporting activity. People had to be much more open with each other and very little could be hidden.

When we interact on a personal basis, most of us can have a laugh, agree, disagree, put forward arguments and counter arguments - but we do so in a basically amicable way. If we do not like someone, we cannot make them disappear. Conversely if we like someone, how many will immediately ask for sex with him? Hardly any unless it is at a gay disco or pub.

With the internet and the apps, the guards we erect when we meet others in person completely disappear. Not only are communications instant, they can be totally anonymous. Unlike at home or at work, we are all powerful. We can say what we like to whom we like. If someone pisses us off, we put them on ignore or use the block button. Over time, this becomes just a game we play, like the other computer games on which many are hooked. The danger as I see it is that over time this may make real interaction between people more difficult. I hope I am wrong.

Don't need overtime, is already happening, very often u can see a table of four,  instead of talking to one another, each of them are just busy on their phone, not sure if they really texting each other 😅

Since the internet era people could express what they think and feel anonymously but in reality they have to be really careful what they do and say due to politically correctness spread from the West

Sometime when I get too tired of arguing or seeing it is a totally idiotic comment made out of whim or stupidity... why even get involve?

So what I do? I RATE the thread. 

One of my favourite saying from I think Napoleon. "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

To make it better understanding of the said above:

IF you interrupt your enemy while he’s doing a mistake, he won’t make the full mistake and so it won’t be as bad as if he had done it fully. So if you don’t interrupt him, he’ll face the entire consequences of his action, something he wouldn’t have to do if you interrupt him.

8 hours ago, InBangkok said:

They can often mean virtually the same thing. Putting forward an argument is putting forward one side of a debate for discussion. That's an exchange of ideas. It does not necessarily mean a quarrel.

Argue, you think you are always right and know no wrong, so you cannot accept other people point of view and thus argue all the way until everyone turn pale.

Quarrel,  you start calling people names, who do not agree with your view and then ended up into a verbal fight till the cow came home

Debate,  you analysed other people view and then brought forth yours, to disagree with them, like playing a chess. You think before you move.

Discuss,  you said something and with an expectation of a constructive feedback.  Often agree to disagree with others and ultimately everyone learned from it.

The above, is my humble opinion.  You can don't agree, but don't argue and don't quarrel.  Let's discuss.

5 minutes ago, Why? said:

Argue, you think you are always right and know no wrong, so you cannot accept other people point of view and thus argue all the way until everyone turn pale.

Quarrel,  you start calling people names, who do not agree with your view and then ended up into a verbal fight till the cow came home

Debate,  you analysed other people view and then brought forth yours, to disagree with them, like playing a chess. You think before you move.

Discuss,  you said something and with an expectation of a constructive feedback.  Often agree to disagree with others and ultimately everyone learned from it.

The above, is my humble opinion.  You can don't agree, but don't argue and don't quarrel.  Let's discuss.

A learned man. 

If cannot win in a situation, just say, "OK, let's be gentlemen and agree to disagree." 

Implicit meaning - 'if you don't agree to this, you choose not to be a gentleman yourself.' 

18 hours ago, Guest Santai said:

Since the internet era people could express what they think and feel anonymously but in reality they have to be really careful what they do and say due to politically correctness spread from the West

He he... something to argue about :)   Why this constant bashing of the West?

Why would you care about political correctness spread from the West?   Don't you live in the East? 

The Singapore political correctness is in the EAST, not from the WEST.   Or are you a colony from the West?

And if you are anonymous, why you need to care about correctness, the western or eastern?

Simply try to have thoughts and feelings that are good ones,  they are always correct.

Even in my last relationship where I was being manipulated and gaslighted to do things I did not like, where the relationship was not progressing towards the goals that the couple had decided, partner has an anger issue, partner does not know how to make decisions for the relationship... blah blah blah. 

I have learnt that it’s not in anyone’s favour to start an argument for no reason. Perhaps the word to instead is, a cordial discussion. 

and in my current relationship, I have also learnt that you can be angry, unhappy and but you don’t have to show it, you can express that you are angry, but you don’t have to act impulsively or bitchy about it. (Kinder words have never been used. Lol.)

it has been mentioned by a previous poster that we might be moving towards having anonymity or the ability to blatantly ignore someone (block), and I guess over time we forget to understand what we listen, and instead maybe feel that we are the only ones who are right. 

I don’t really know what else to write, and perhaps you do find something in common after you read this.

Speaking loudly, suffers softly. Smiles so wide, cuts unseen inside.

Bitin' the bullet, but never kick the bucket.

45 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

He he... something to argue about :)   Why this constant bashing of the West?

Why would you care about political correctness spread from the West?   Don't you live in the East? 

The Singapore political correctness is in the EAST, not from the WEST.   Or are you a colony from the West?

And if you are anonymous, why you need to care about correctness, the western or eastern?

Simply try to have thoughts and feelings that are good ones,  they are always correct.

The west coast people, are almost quite mute and apathetic to politics,  the property there are often not so sought after and the places around there seems remote and at times, polluted. It used to be a village, and people of the elders are easily bought over by politicians. The west coast is also "oil rich" and 80% of SMEs set up their businesses there.  It is a heavily industralised town where majarity of Malaysian workers took a dwelling, because cheaper to stay in the West.   West Coast, is also heavily armed with soldiers, unlike the East Coast.  If war break, the East Coast is likely to fall overnight.   

Whereas in the East Coast of Singapore, people are learned and politically active.  There are many heritage buildings, old houses with rich people from the old days.  It is a place where opposition gain much traction.  East Coast is largely a recreational town, full of activities, very cruisy and thus the property there are well sought after.  People staying in the West are quite different from people staying in the East.  This island is very unique.  Singapore has a West coast and an East Coast.  Don't get me started on the Northern Singapore.   You think too much. 

Edited by Why?

1 hour ago, Why? said:

The west coast people, are almost quite mute and apathetic to politics,  the property there are often not so sought after and the places around there seems remote and at times, polluted. It used to be a village, and people of the elders are easily bought over by politicians. The west coast is also "oil rich" and 80% of SMEs set up their businesses there.  It is a heavily industralised town where majarity of Malaysian workers took a dwelling, because cheaper to stay in the West.   West Coast, is also heavily armed with soldiers, unlike the East Coast.  If war break, the East Coast is likely to fall overnight.   

Whereas in the East Coast of Singapore, people are learned and politically active.  There are many heritage buildings, old houses with rich people from the old days.  It is a place where opposition gain much traction.  East Coast is largely a recreational town, full of activities, very cruisy and thus the property there are well sought after.  People staying in the West are quite different from people staying in the East.  This island is very unique.  Singapore has a West coast and an East Coast.  Don't get me started on the Northern Singapore.   You think too much. 

Why you quoted my post?   You started on something completely different.  I posted not about west Malaysia or west Singapore,  but about "the West",  region in the world that refers to Europe and America,  as opposed to "the  EAST",  mostly Asia.  

Unique?  Every island on earth has a West coast and an East coast.  And they are different.  In the East, the sun comes up over the sea,  in the West the sun goes down over the sea.  :lol:

1 hour ago, feedersmiracle said:

Even in my last relationship where I was being manipulated and gaslighted to do things I did not like, where the relationship was not progressing towards the goals that the couple had decided, partner has an anger issue, partner does not know how to make decisions for the relationship... blah blah blah. 

I have learnt that it’s not in anyone’s favour to start an argument for no reason. Perhaps the word to instead is, a cordial discussion. 

and in my current relationship, I have also learnt that you can be angry, unhappy and but you don’t have to show it, you can express that you are angry, but you don’t have to act impulsively or bitchy about it. (Kinder words have never been used. Lol.)

it has been mentioned by a previous poster that we might be moving towards having anonymity or the ability to blatantly ignore someone (block), and I guess over time we forget to understand what we listen, and instead maybe feel that we are the only ones who are right. 

I don’t really know what else to write, and perhaps you do find something in common after you read this.

Oh, I find a lot in common with what you wrote.

Like when we have a new car we do the impossible to protect it from scratches and dents,  there is nothing we need to handle more carefully than our relationship.  And if in our imperfect nature we cannot avoid getting angry with him and show it in a heated discussion,  as soon as we can as the anger recedes we should apologize to him and say that we love him.    Although it is not so important how we treat other anonymous people,  to stay away from ugliness with others will minimize the ugliness we may let escape towards our partner and other persons we love.   If an anonymous conversation starts drifting away from kindness,  maybe a remedy is to replace anger with humor,  and make fun of the attacking person.  

1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

If you think that you can test whether I have mind fog,  you have the mind of a frog.  :lol:

But...everyone knew you did a lot of croaking in this forum.  Must be one hell of a bull ....frog?

Edited by Why?

3 hours ago, Greenliv said:

So it does seem that people like to antagonise each other over every trivial things. 

Antagonise is not the right word for Steve. He felt very stimulated and happy.  I suspect, age is catching up on him and he is playing catching up here as well.  That is what it is, if you knew him well enough.  You wouldn't want to deprive an old man his much needed daily therapy, in the form of "antagnoiser".  Otherwise, you are seen as being very cruel and dis-respectful to him.

Edited by Why?

1 minute ago, Why? said:

Antagonise is not the right word for Steve. He felt very stimulated and happy.  I suspect, age is catching up on him and he is playing catching up here as well.  That is what it is, if you knew him sell enough.  You wouldn't want to deprive an old man his much needed therapy daily, in the form of "antagnoiser".

With due respect, I read his posts often and find him to be a reasonable and well opinioned guy (except where religion is concerned, I move aside a wide berth). 

• G_M locked and unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.