Male HQ

Asus Vivobook 14 vs Acer Aspire 5

Guest Needs Advice

Guest Needs Advice

As stated in the title, does anyone here have any experience with the above 2 laptop models? Can share what you like and do not like about them?

Or maybe you have experience with Acer or Asus laptops in general as well? Would appreciate any advice that'll help me make a decision as to which one to buy. Thanks!

Hey there!

I’ve reviewed the Asus Vivobook 15 S533F before, and the battery life is amazing on that model. Big screen, decent keyboard and quite lightweight. Would definitely recommend! I can’t say the same for the Acer Aspire 5, though.

Do you have the specs and pricing of both models though?

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

Guest Needs Advice

Hello Rhyn, thanks a lot for your reply! I'll go check out the YouTube link you've posted. ;)

Anyway, I believe you were referring to Vivobook S15 yeah? I was actually looking at a slightly older model (X413FP) of Asus Vivobook.

Here are the specs and pricing of both models:

Asus X413FP-EB105T ($899 before discount)

CPU i5-10210U, 14.0" FHD (non IPS I think) display, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce MX330 2GB DDR5 graphics, WiFi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1, 1xUSB 3.2 Type C, 1xUSB 3.2 Type A and 2xUSB 2.0 Type A

Alternative config: Asus X413EA ($949 after discount)

CPU i5-1135G7, 14.0" FHD (also non IPS I think) display, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, Intel Xe graphics, WiFi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1, 1xUSB 3.2 Type C, 1xUSB 3.2 Type A and 2xUSB 2.0 Type A

Acer A514-53G ($911 after discount)

CPU i5-1035G1, 14.0" FHD IPS display, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce MX350 2GB DDR5 graphics, 1xUSB Type C (thunderbolt), 3xUSB Type A

[Alternative config of similar model with 12GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB PCIe SSD for $1091 before discount]

Hope the info is sufficient!

Yup, if the spec sheet doesn’t state that it’s not IPS, it’s not IPS. Personally, I think it’s important to have IPS but if it’s poor quality, then I’ll rather skip it unless there’s another compelling reason like high refresh rate. 

If you’re not using the laptop for casual or professional graphical work, it’s fine to go with the Asus X413FP or the A514. However, if you do play play casual games like Dota 2/Counter Strike or something that isn’t too demanding, I would go with the Asus X413EA because the Intel Xe graphics is a big step up from previous generations and the MX 330. 

If you want it as a general use and battery life is of great concern, the Asus X413 uses a lower powered Core i5-10210U processor that sips power. Can last a looooooong time! 

Although, I would recommend that you find a 16GB RAM. If you don’t plan to upgrade your laptop in 5 years, the 16GB will give you more value and longevity even though it’s pricier. 

15 hours ago, Guest Needs Advice said:

As stated in the title, does anyone here have any experience with the above 2 laptop models? Can share what you like and do not like about them?

Or maybe you have experience with Acer or Asus laptops in general as well? Would appreciate any advice that'll help me make a decision as to which one to buy. Thanks!

What you want to do with your laptop?? In another words what is your checklist/want?

1.Graphic intensive or what?? 

2. Design? 

3. Fast processing? 

4. Battery? 

Etc etc. 

Guest Needs Advice
39 minutes ago, Kimochi said:

What you want to do with your laptop?? In another words what is your checklist/want?

1.Graphic intensive or what?? 

2. Design? 

3. Fast processing? 

4. Battery? 

Etc etc. 

Okay, I'm just using my laptop for very basic home usage - typing documents, streaming YouTube videos, reading forums yup that's it. Not into gaming (even casual light one), nor using it in any way that involves intensive heavy duty graphics.

My main concerns are the durability and battery life tbh. Whether it is able to last me for a few years, and also able to let me use without plugging to the wall for a good number of hours. :)

1 minute ago, Guest Needs Advice said:

Okay, I'm just using my laptop for very basic home usage - typing documents, streaming YouTube videos, reading forums yup that's it. Not into gaming (even casual light one), nor using it in any way that involves intensive heavy duty graphics.

My main concerns are the durability and battery life tbh. Whether it is able to last me for a few years, and also able to let me use without plugging to the wall for a good number of hours. :)

Laptop batteries are still not state of the art technology, will degrade after you plugged it into socket after days, unless somebody can correct and convince me. In general you will likely need to research battery types (lithium ion vs lithium polymer ) and what the spec sheet said about the battery juice. Then start from there.

As for casual usage, all you mentioned are acceptable and good laptops (with SSD you cant go wrong because its fast) 

Next thing you might want to check is keyboard illumination / glossy reflective screen vs Matt non reflective screen. 

Do up your own checklist properly so you can purchase satisfied product. 

Guest Needs Advice
8 minutes ago, Kimochi said:

Laptop batteries are still not state of the art technology, will degrade after you plugged it into socket after days, unless somebody can correct and convince me. In general you will likely need to research battery types (lithium ion vs lithium polymer ) and what the spec sheet said about the battery juice. Then start from there.

As for casual usage, all you mentioned are acceptable and good laptops (with SSD you cant go wrong because its fast) 

Next thing you might want to check is keyboard illumination / glossy reflective screen vs Matt non reflective screen. 

Do up your own checklist properly so you can purchase satisfied product. 

Yeah, I've got a checklist done up and that's how I narrowed down to these 2 models specifically.

Both models have backlit keyboards and non reflective matt screens, which I heard is better for use outdoors or something??

But yeah, I should go check out the battery type as you've suggested. Thanks for the useful input! Appreciate it much. :)

6 minutes ago, Guest Needs Advice said:

Yeah, I've got a checklist done up and that's how I narrowed down to these 2 models specifically.

Both models have backlit keyboards and non reflective matt screens, which I heard is better for use outdoors or something??

But yeah, I should go check out the battery type as you've suggested. Thanks for the useful input! Appreciate it much. :)

Best is non reflective display for me and for tv as well. Its very annoying when you see reflections especially the lights... 

To add onto @Kimochi‘s suggestions, most laptop batteries in slim laptops are quite dense so they do pack quite a bit of juice. It’s down to the manufacturer (Asus or Acer) to manage the processor’s specifications to tune it according to what they want to maximise (battery efficiency or performance). 

Without getting too technical, all technologically equipped products with batteries have softwares built inside to prevent overcharging. The real harm is when a battery is always at 100% charge, or charges from 0% to 100%. These two scenarios can significantly degrade battery life so one easy solution is just to unplug your laptop and use it to 50%, then topping it up 🙂 

That being said, based on your use case, you would benefit from the Asus model as the processor inside is specifically created for Low-power consumption. Couple that with dense batteries, and you’ll have a laptop that’s long battery life and portability. 

Guest Needs Advice
1 hour ago, Rhyn said:

Yup, if the spec sheet doesn’t state that it’s not IPS, it’s not IPS. Personally, I think it’s important to have IPS but if it’s poor quality, then I’ll rather skip it unless there’s another compelling reason like high refresh rate. 

If you’re not using the laptop for casual or professional graphical work, it’s fine to go with the Asus X413FP or the A514. However, if you do play play casual games like Dota 2/Counter Strike or something that isn’t too demanding, I would go with the Asus X413EA because the Intel Xe graphics is a big step up from previous generations and the MX 330. 

If you want it as a general use and battery life is of great concern, the Asus X413 uses a lower powered Core i5-10210U processor that sips power. Can last a looooooong time! 

Although, I would recommend that you find a 16GB RAM. If you don’t plan to upgrade your laptop in 5 years, the 16GB will give you more value and longevity even though it’s pricier. 

Hmm, is IPS very important even if I'm not into gaming, or using it for intensive graphics work? Sorry I'm not too sure what is the advantage of IPS... :(

With regards to CPU, I read that 1035G1 is better performing on average than 10520U, though it has a lower turbo frequency. Something about 1035G1 being more consistent at its normal processing speed. Is that true? My thought is if it's more power efficient, then it'll consume less energy and battery juice and perhaps can last longer, though I'm not sure if the difference is that obvious.

I think there are some setups which offer 16GB RAM. Will give it some thought. Thanks for the constructive inputs, @Rhyn!

Oh yeh it might be quite difficult to ascertain whether a manufacturer’s laptop is Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries as you have to physically open them up (and potentially void your warranty) or contact a support staff that may not be aware of the differences. 

That being said, you can read more about it here https://blog.ravpower.com/2017/06/lithium-ion-vs-lithium-polymer-batteries/

13 minutes ago, Guest Needs Advice said:

Hmm, is IPS very important even if I'm not into gaming, or using it for intensive graphics work? Sorry I'm not too sure what is the advantage of IPS... :(

With regards to CPU, I read that 1035G1 is better performing on average than 10520U, though it has a lower turbo frequency. Something about 1035G1 being more consistent at its normal processing speed. Is that true? My thought is if it's more power efficient, then it'll consume less energy and battery juice and perhaps can last longer, though I'm not sure if the difference is that obvious.

I think there are some setups which offer 16GB RAM. Will give it some thought. Thanks for the constructive inputs, @Rhyn!

Like the processor, there are factors like GHz, how many processing cores and these little details. So for display panels, Asus and Acer usually asks for a specific panel and they usually budget it according to the overall price tag of the machine ($998 maybe). 

So here’s a scenario: in order to keep the price tag at a certain range, they may skim out by getting a cheaper IPS panel with sub-par colour quality (which is what IPS is known for, they’re the most colourful accurate and vibrant displays) or paying the same amount for a TN (another panel tech) panel but with better colours contrast. 

It’s incredibly difficult to discern between these differences unless someone individually tests the product with the right equipment. Doesn’t help that their marketing team isn’t the most forthcoming and honest either. But if you don’t nitpick, especially when the laptop is less than $1000, it’s pretty fine! 

The 1035G1 will perform better and more consistently than the 10520U. But based on your usage, you won’t see a significant difference unless you’re stressing the CPU with video editing or 5000 Chrometabs. Even then, both processors will have some struggles (this is very generic information, trying to keep things simple as your requirements are pretty daily everyone uses it kind of scenario). 

The 1035G1 is more advanced in terms of raw processing power than the 10210U, that’s why there’s a lower turbo frequency but performs better. But it is not really tuned for battery life, but rather more performance. It will be difficult to accurately differentiate these two processors side by side unless someone does benchmarks on it. 

Edited by Rhyn
Clarity

Guest Needs Advice
28 minutes ago, Rhyn said:

Like the processor, there are factors like GHz, how many processing cores and these little details. So for display panels, Asus and Acer usually asks for a specific panel and they usually budget it according to the overall price tag of the machine ($998 maybe). 

So here’s a scenario: in order to keep the price tag at a certain range, they may skim out by getting a cheaper IPS panel with sub-par colour quality (which is what IPS is known for, they’re the most colourful accurate and vibrant displays) or paying the same amount for a TN (another panel tech) panel but with better colours contrast. 

It’s incredibly difficult to discern between these differences unless someone individually tests the product with the right equipment. Doesn’t help that their marketing team isn’t the most forthcoming and honest either. But if you don’t nitpick, especially when the laptop is less than $1000, it’s pretty fine! 

The 1035G1 will perform better and more consistently than the 10520U. But based on your usage, you won’t see a significant difference unless you’re stressing the CPU with video editing or 5000 Chrometabs. Even then, both processors will have some struggles (this is very generic information, trying to keep things simple as your requirements are pretty daily everyone uses it kind of scenario). 

The 1035G1 is more advanced in terms of raw processing power than the 10210U, that’s why there’s a lower turbo frequency but performs better. But it is not really tuned for battery life, but rather more performance. It will be difficult to accurately differentiate these two processors side by side unless someone does benchmarks on it. 

I see... Yeah actually I do wonder whether my eyes will be able to detect all these differences in specs (processing speed, display quality etc) when I use the laptop. Cos honestly if they are not that noticeable, I'll just opt for any one model that can provide reliable performance that lasts. It's not as if I'm tasked to rate the performance of these laptops anyway. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.