Male HQ

InBangkok Vs Steve5380

Steve5380

24 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

And that frankly is wrong. They were not making music together. The essence of orchestral music is a group of musicians in one place performing and interacting with each other and the conductor as bar follows bar. 

You confuse making music together with socializing with music.  It is the same as our conversations in BW.  We converse together, although we may be continents apart.  It would be nicer if we could sit together in a cafe or a bar and have some drinks with our conversations, but the interchange of ideas is the same.

One of the positives of the pandemic is that it has shown the practicality of holding classes remotely.  In the same way, musicians can play together remotely. And they play together because they synchronize with each other in real time, not off-line (all thanks to their nearly instantaneous connections).  A conductor is not necessarily excluded from these cyber-ensembles.  I am sure that there is room here for interactions, like they are in any teleconferencing.

Edited by Steve5380

4 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

You confuse making music together with socializing with music. 

No I don't. Making music together is a group of people coming together in a live situation to create a performance. These kids did a fantastic job playing their instruments in their homes. Without the microphones in each home and some excellent technicians, they would have achieved nothing. In this case I confuse nothing.

14 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

No I don't. Making music together is a group of people coming together in a live situation to create a performance. These kids did a fantastic job playing their instruments in their homes. Without the microphones in each home and some excellent technicians, they would have achieved nothing. In this case I confuse nothing.

WOW!!! So now microphones, excellent technicians conspire against making music together?  Have you been in a recording studio and seen every musician with his earphones, microphone,  channel that is mixed together in the final product?

Same in rock concerts, where electronic devices are aplenty.  And physical proximity is adds little to the final product.

39 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

Clearly you have not been in a recording studio. There each interpretation is created by the ensemble of the conductor and musicians all working together side by side and listening to each other in the same space. The balance is set by the producer and then refined by the conductor so that it equates exactly to what he is creating together with the musicians who are all together in the studio. The video you uploaded is nothing like a recording in a recording studio. You can keep the discussion going all you want, but you are wrong. Please get your facts straight before you write such nonsense.

Since you have forgotten, this is how recordings are made.

Your obsession with classical music concerts has pushed out the existence of other musical styles.  It is not imaginable that artists of country music, a Willie Nelson for example, will record in a hall with so many ornaments. And his musicians may be separated, maybe not seeing each other, but they listen to each other on their earphones and the sound engineer will make all the adjustments necessary.   So... it is not so different from being miles apart. 

In your example,  the Double Concerto for two violins that Bach or whoever adapted to other instruments,  the four pianos could be in different rooms, and they could still play in unison.  And considering the pianofortes that Bach had available, the sound would not need to  be so pure and crisp, but more authentic "epoch instrument" sound.   The four pianist here don't see each others fingers anyway.  All they can do is hear each other, and for that they don't need to be close. 

Clearly you have a fantasy that you are the only one who knows how recordings are made, but may not know how recording studios differ  :) 

Wait and see.  We will find a great movement towards playing together remotely, and software will be developed that will allow regular music lovers who play an instrument to form groups with others and enjoy this great way of making music without any technical difficulties.  Chamber music, orchestral music, ensembles, singers with pianists, violinists with pianists,  you name it.  Meanwhile the large concert halls will be used occasionally for concerts, and otherwise to store barrels with beer and feed for livestock.

Edited by Steve5380

18 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Your obsession with classical music concerts has pushed out the existence of other musical styles.  It is not imaginable that artists of country music, a Willie Nelson for example, will record in a hall with so many ornaments. And the musicians will be separated, maybe not seeing each other, but they listen on their earphones and the sound engineer will make all the adjustments necessary.   So... it is not so different from if they were miles apart. 

In your example,  the Double Concerto for two violins that Bach adapted to other instruments,  the four pianos could be in different rooms, and they could still play in unison.  And considering the pianofortes that Bach had available, the sound would not be so pure and crisp, but more authentic "epoch instrument" sound.   The four pianist here don't see each others fingers anyway.  All they can do is hear each other, and for that they don't need to be close. 

Clearly you have a fantasy that you are the only one who knows how recordings are made, but may not know how recording studios differ  :) 

And what you say is mostly pure fantasy! Of course Willie Nelson recordings are different. The recording of all pop, country, jazz and some other music is totally different from a symphony orchestra and an opera. There is no relationship other than to distort facts. This discussion has been about nothing other than music for orchestral ensembles. So do not confuse the issue by bringing in wholly unrelated musical genres.

As for the Bach recording, you are again wrong! Plain wrong! Again you introduce so much that deviates from the main subject. Since you question my knowledge of different recording studios, tell us now how many orchestra recordings you have attended? Any? Some? How many opera recordings have you attended? Any? Some? How many pop/country group recording sessions have you attended? One? Any?

I'll take a punt (and I will apologise if I am wrong) but I guess the number for each of these questions is zero.Thanks to friends I have attended symphony, opera and a pop group recording in different studios and halls. (although not a country music recording as I loathe country music). I'll happily give you a list and then we can compare notes. Just give it a break!

Edited by InBangkok

5 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

And what you say is mostly pure fantasy! Of course Willie Nelson recordings are different. The recording of all pop, country, jazz and some other music is totally different from a symphony orchestra and an opera. There is no relationship other than to distort facts. This discussion has not been about nothing other than music for orchestral ensembles. So do not confuse the issue by bringing unrelated musical genres.

As for the Bach recording, you are again wrong! Plain wrong! Again you introduce so much that deviates from the main subject. How many orchestra recordings have you attended? Any? Some? How many opera recordings have you attended? Any? Some? How many pop/country group recording sessions have you attended? One? Any?

I'll take a punt (and I will apologise if I am wrong) but I guess the number to each of these questions is zero.Thanks to friends I have attended symphony, opera and a pop group recording in different studios/ halls. (although not a country music recording as I loathe country music). I'll happily give you a list and then we can compare notes. Just give it a break!

I think that it is a shame with you allegedly having attended so many different recording studios had to find exceptions and criticisms of what I initially wrote about these recording studios.  I have seen sufficient videos of recording studios that I know quite well how they operate. What I said about musicians with earphones applies to many recording events, and I never said that it applies to all.  And I like too much Bach's original Double Concerto in D minor for two violins to think much of this adaptation for four pianos, a waste of pianos in my opinion.  (now let's see how you jump up about this, ha ha)

41 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

And I like too much Bach's original Double Concerto in D minor for two violins to think much of this adaptation for four pianos, a waste of pianos in my opinion.  (now let's see how you jump up about this, ha ha)

I shall and I do. For it is a perfect example of how you twist subjects without actually answering them. What has your like or dislike of that Bach concerto to do with your point? Absolutely nothing. 

On 7/12/2020 at 11:55 PM, Steve5380 said:

I have never contributed with one dollar to professional sports.  But I do a lot for my body with aerobic and strength exercising in gyms.

Some money goes into my classes of Aikido,  but this is not a "professional sport".

After attending a series of concerts, buying some recorded music, and taking classes of violin, piano and singing,  I don't contribute to the economics of music.

I have reached a point where all my musical needs are satisfied, without spending a single dollar :)

Ah! So you did actually spend some money. Funny, that was not what you said you would do back in July. Then you were perfectly happy not pay a cent to professional sports and that all your musical needs are satisfied without spending a single dollar. Not so true after all!

33 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

I shall and I do. For it is a perfect example of how you twist subjects without actually answering them. What has your like or dislike of that Bach concerto to do with your point? Absolutely nothing. 

Where is my obligation to answer anything?  And what is it that I am not answering, in your opinion?  Why do I need your permission to give my opinion about a Bach concerto?

29 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

Ah! So you did actually spend some money. Funny, that was not what you said you would do back in July. Then you were perfectly happy not pay a cent to professional sports and that all your musical needs are satisfied without spending a single dollar. Not so true after all!

You mean my spending of the $50 for the Bejart 9th DVDs?   I didn't spend this to satisfy my musical needs.  There are many recordings of Beethoven's 9th on YouTube that I can get for free, plus I have a collection of CDs with all the Beethoven symphonies.   The spending of $50 was for the ballet with the cute young dancers and their skills.  Recently I spent $350 for a beautiful carbon fiber tuning hammer with high rigidity for my pianos. This was a spending for music, but my own one, not for commercial music.

1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

I have heard this symphony No. 2 only a few times, and many decades ago.  I only remember some of its melodies. 

You have not heard it for many decades and yet you pontificate on what Schubert was thinking and how he composed that movement of that symphony. What b/s!

34 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

You have not heard it for many decades and yet you pontificate on what Schubert was thinking and how he composed that movement of that symphony. What b/s!

It is better than your b/s that Schubert was angry for some reason.  You were not there when he composed the symphony.  I have a good musical memory and better musical judgment than you have.

And I have been listening to Franz Schubert before you were born.

11 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

It is better than your b/s that "Schubert was angry for some reason".  You were not there when he composed the symphony.  I have a good musical memory and better musical judgment than you have.

And I have been listening to Franz Schubert before you were born.

Aha! But you admitted you had not heard the Second Symphony for "many decades". You also have not the faintest idea what was in Schubert's mind. I gave my "impression" listing to a work I have heard several times in recent years. If you persist in this ridiculous idea that you can remember the detail of everything you heard several decades ago, perhaps a test will be put up on this thread to show that once again you spout mostly b/s.

15 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

Aha! But you admitted you had not heard the Second Symphony for "many decades". You also have not the faintest idea what was in Schubert's mind. I gave my "impression" listing to a work I have heard several times in recent years. If you persist in this ridiculous idea that you can remember the detail of everything you heard several decades ago, perhaps a test will be put up on this thread to show that once again you spout mostly b/s.

I want to remind you that you had agreed to not use insults in your posts to me.  It is not civil to call what I write 'ridiculous' and 'bullshit' like you did in this and your previous post.

My opinion about Schubert's symphony No. 2 is not based on what I heard decades ago,  but what I heard TODAY listening to the video you posted.  It seems that YOU also listen to YouTube videos.

Edited by Steve5380

6 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I want to remind you that you had agreed to not use insults in your posts to me.  It is not civil to call what I write 'ridiculous' and 'bullshit' like you did in this and your previous post.

My opinion about Schubert's symphony No. 2 is not based on what I heard decades ago,  but what I heard TODAY listening to the video you posted.  It seems that YOU also listen to YouTube videos.

But as usual that is not what you wrote. To remind you you stated this only 3 hours ago -

3 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I have heard this symphony No. 2 only a few times, and many decades ago.  I only remember some of its melodies. 

So, you heard it a few times decades ago and ONLY REMEMBER SOME OF ITS MELODIES. But if you had just listened to the vdo I posted, you would presumably have a very clear memory of the melodies and could have listened several times to the one minute I suggested readers might be interested in hearing.  More b/s! Don't you realise you are becoming a troll.

Edited by InBangkok

11 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

But as usual that is not what you wrote. To remind you you stated this only 3 hours ago -

So, you heard it a few times decades ago and ONLY REMEMBER SOME OF ITS MELODIES. But if you had just listened to the vdo I posted, you would presumably have a very clear memory of the melodies and could have listened several times to the one minute I suggested readers might be interested in hearing.  More b/s! Don't you realise you are becoming a troll.

What a pity that you lack so much comprehension.  My not remembering of course refers to my only hearing it a few times decades ago.  And this was before listening to the YouTube video you posted.

I keep reminding you that you have agreed to not using insulting terms in your posts to me. But you keep doing it.  It seems that you cannot post to me or reply to my posts without adding some insult.   If this is your nature, this is a shame.

2 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

What a pity that you lack so much comprehension.  My not remembering of course refers to my only hearing it a few times decades ago.  And this was before listening to the YouTube video you posted.

I keep reminding you that you have agreed to not using insulting terms in your posts to me. But you keep doing it.  It seems that you cannot post to me or reply to my posts without adding some insult.   If this is your nature, this is a shame.

Of course? Why of course? That is not what you wrote.

As for your second paragraph I have responded to that in the Opera Queens thread. Further to that thread it is clear that I will continue to call you out for ridiculous and downright wrong posts. If I believe it is b/s or Nonsense, I will say so. If other members think I am wrong, I will happily reply to their threads and take on board their specific comments. Your posts will incur whatever response I consider appropriate given their content and context.

I truly thank the Moderator for having responded to my report and transferred these insulting posts to the flaming room.

This will hopefully keep the thread I created "Instrumental Music 2" free for a civil conversation about the beautiful topic of instrumental music.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.