Male HQ

Newly diagnosed with Herpes Type 1

Guest sad

I'm newly diagnosed with Herpes Type 1. 

This STD doesn't seem to be widely discussed here. Wondering what should I look out for to keep myself and my partner safe?

How did you get infected last time?

1 hour ago, gc0805 said:

may i know how was this diagnosed? blood test is notoriously unreliable.

btw, hsv type one is the common cold sore virus, and is not necesarily an std.

DSC did a swap test when I had blister on my penis. I have Type 1 on genital, not on my mouth.

When someone oral you when he has ulcer, Type 1 is transferred from his mouth to your genital.

I just had my first outbreak. Very worried of my second outbreak which the doc said can happen within the next 3 to 4 months. Has anyone experience this before?

The herpes simplex virus is categorized into 2 types:

1) herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and

2) herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2).

HSV-1 is mainly transmitted by oral-to-oral contact to cause oral herpes (which can include symptoms known as “cold sores”), but can also cause genital herpes.

HSV-2 is a sexually transmitted infection that causes genital herpes.

Both HSV-1 and HSV-2 infections are lifelong. Currently, there is no cure for herpes.

Most oral and genital herpes infections are asymptomatic.

Symptoms of herpes include painful blisters or ulcers at the site of infection.

Herpes infections are most contagious when symptoms are present but can still be transmitted to others in the absence of symptoms.

Infection with HSV-2 increases the risk of acquiring and transmitting HIV infection.

Just a couple of practical tips: 

Acyclovir cream applied 5 times a day works wonders.  Start applying the moment you have a tingling semsation - even before blister appears. works wonders.

Drink high dose VitC when it starts (like 500 mg twice a day for 10 days)

The above regime will limit the occurrence to 3-5 days instead of 10 days if left untreated.

It will recur when you are stressed or your immune system is Low. Can avoid or markedly reduce recurrence with a healthy diet  or a daily dose of multivitamin containing Vit C. 

16 minutes ago, Mushigg said:

The herpes simplex virus is categorized into 2 types:

1) herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and

2) herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2).

HSV-1 is mainly transmitted by oral-to-oral contact to cause oral herpes (which can include symptoms known as “cold sores”), but can also cause genital herpes.

HSV-2 is a sexually transmitted infection that causes genital herpes.

Both HSV-1 and HSV-2 infections are lifelong. Currently, there is no cure for herpes.

Most oral and genital herpes infections are asymptomatic.

Symptoms of herpes include painful blisters or ulcers at the site of infection.

Herpes infections are most contagious when symptoms are present but can still be transmitted to others in the absence of symptoms.

Infection with HSV-2 increases the risk of acquiring and transmitting HIV infection.

Can PrEP helps to present herpes?

12 minutes ago, Sh3rlock said:

Just a couple of practical tips: 

Acyclovir cream applied 5 times a day works wonders.  Start applying the moment you have a tingling semsation - even before blister appears. works wonders.

Drink high dose VitC when it starts (like 500 mg twice a day for 10 days)

The above regime will limit the occurrence to 3-5 days instead of 10 days if left untreated.

It will recur when you are stressed or your immune system is Low. Can avoid or markedly reduce recurrence with a healthy diet  or a daily dose of multivitamin containing Vit C. 

thanks but the problem is i'm stressed everyday due to work, money and life. How not to stress?

The doc also told me  the tingling sensation is a sign of outbreak. I don't recall having that in my first outbreak. I only had 2 blisters. 

I have some rashes on my chest now. They feel itchy and tingling. Can the blister appear on chest? 

3 minutes ago, Guest sad said:

thanks but the problem is i'm stressed everyday due to work, money and life. How not to stress?

The doc also told me  the tingling sensation is a sign of outbreak. I don't recall having that in my first outbreak. I only had 2 blisters. 

I have some rashes on my chest now. They feel itchy and tingling. Can the blister appear on chest? 

Best to check back with your doctor. May be shingles (herpes zoster) and not hs1. Varicella/herpes zoster is the virus that causes chickenpox. If you had that as a child, it may be back due to stress.  

6 minutes ago, Guest sad said:

It can spread to your eyes. This could happen if you rub your eyes after you touch the infected area with your hands.

When this virus affects the eye, it is called herpes zoster ophthalmicus. The other virus that causes herpetic eye disease is called herpes simplex type 1. Herpes simplex type 1 is the same virus that causes cold sores on the lips and mouth. In the eye, it usually causes an infection of the cornea. Therefore, please avoid touching your eyes with your hands.

3 minutes ago, Sh3rlock said:

Best to check back with your doctor. May be shingles (herpes zoster) and not hs1. Varicella/herpes zoster is the virus that causes chickenpox. If you had that as a child, it may be back due to stress.  

I did see a GP yesterday and told him I suspect it's hypes but he said the rashes doesn't look like a symptom of std.  

He said he is going to just treat the symptoms and gave me some cream to apply. Can't help but feeling paranoid about everything.

Hope other herpes sufferers can share their experience.

2 minutes ago, Guest sad said:

I did see a GP yesterday and told him I suspect it's hypes but he said the rashes doesn't look like a symptom of std.  

He said he is going to just treat the symptoms and gave me some cream to apply. Can't help but feeling paranoid about everything.

Hope other herpes sufferers can share their experience.

Aiks, we share some facts here does not mean we have / suffering from herpes. These are just facts that you can find online if you Google. 

Guest guest hsv 1 sufferer

I've got HSV1 but my blisters appear on the lip instead. 

the first primary infection is prolly the worst - takes about 10-14 days to clear. Fever, headache, and localised pain are common symptoms. Please don't touch the liquid coming out of the sore - if you do, wash your hands with soap or at least sanitise it. V impt otherwise it will spread. 

First, topical creams (e.g. zovirax) are useless / limited in effectiveness. To be only used as supplements to tablets whenever you have an outbreak. They help numb the pain and provide topical relief. 

The doctor should give u a higher dosage of acyclovir at about 800mg (so you only need to take twice a day). Normally, they give 400mg or even 200mg at the polyclinics. Alternatively, they may also prescribe valtrex 500mg. These treatments will shorten the outbreak period to about 8 days. 

Affordability wise acyclovir 200mg > acyclovir 800mg > valtrex 500mg. Benefit of valtrex is that its got higher bioavailability, meaning a higher amount gets absorbed by your body to overcome the virus. the 400mg acyclovir is really cheap at polyclinics under $30 for a batch of 40 tablets. But may need to take 4 tabs/day. My GP quotes about $120 for 40 tabs of the 800mg acyclovir in case you need a cost reference.

Drink plenty of water, put sunscreen, and sleep more (keep to a regular sleep cycle) to reduce recurrences. Also you may want to also consider taking lysine supplements daily (can get on iHerb). This is an amino acid that if taken in larger amounts, reduces the ability for the virus to replicate as it feeds off another amino acid called arginine to grow. I think lysine helps regulate/balance the amount of arginine in your body. 

Whenever you feel an outbreak coming (numbing/tingling/fiery sensation in the area), take acyclovir immediately. So it's important to have extras on standby (ask your GP to give you extra, so don't always have to go back). Or ask for a prescription so next time can just call the clinic and get the medicine straight don't need to go consult him/her. 

Both HSV-1 and HSV-2 infections are lifelong. Currently, there is no cure for herpes.

So those EVER had herpes pls use condoms even if u claim you are cured. It helps to protect others, be responsible and no Prep does not protect u from it.

Now this topic gave me another reason to stay virgin. Unlike in the past, sex is no longer safe. What am I supposed to do now? Is there no one who is 100% clean of diseases?

i am a doctor

genital herpes is extremely common, many people only ever get one episode and that's it, and it may not even be a severe episode, and go unnoticed.

other people can get numerous episodes, generally most frequent in the first year or so after infection, tending to lessen over time

it is highly unusual to get people having episodes for years and years

if your episodes are severe, and/or frequent, you can get prophylactic (daily) treatment. Prophylactic treatment will also make you a lot less infectious.

In between episodes, there is slight chance of passing on the virus, but there is no need to be paranoid about it.  Minimal.

As mentioned, can also get some tablets from the doctor, and take it at the very first sign of an outbreak-- tingling, itching, redness, discomfort. best not to wait for the blisters to appear.

7 hours ago, Guest sgman said:

i am a doctor

genital herpes is extremely common, many people only ever get one episode and that's it, and it may not even be a severe episode, and go unnoticed.

other people can get numerous episodes, generally most frequent in the first year or so after infection, tending to lessen over time

it is highly unusual to get people having episodes for years and years

if your episodes are severe, and/or frequent, you can get prophylactic (daily) treatment. Prophylactic treatment will also make you a lot less infectious.

In between episodes, there is slight chance of passing on the virus, but there is no need to be paranoid about it.  Minimal.

As mentioned, can also get some tablets from the doctor, and take it at the very first sign of an outbreak-- tingling, itching, redness, discomfort. best not to wait for the blisters to appear.

Hi Doc,

Is there any cream to apply on the area where the blisters were? After the scab has dropped, the color of the skin is lighter than the surrounding skin.

Does the blisters appear on chest? I had rashes on my chest during the first outbreak. Although I'm cleared now after my urine test tested negative, the rashes on my chest comes back again for no reason. I wonder if it's related to herpes.

20 hours ago, Guest guest hsv 1 sufferer said:

I've got HSV1 but my blisters appear on the lip instead. 

the first primary infection is prolly the worst - takes about 10-14 days to clear. Fever, headache, and localised pain are common symptoms. Please don't touch the liquid coming out of the sore - if you do, wash your hands with soap or at least sanitise it. V impt otherwise it will spread. 

First, topical creams (e.g. zovirax) are useless / limited in effectiveness. To be only used as supplements to tablets whenever you have an outbreak. They help numb the pain and provide topical relief. 

The doctor should give u a higher dosage of acyclovir at about 800mg (so you only need to take twice a day). Normally, they give 400mg or even 200mg at the polyclinics. Alternatively, they may also prescribe valtrex 500mg. These treatments will shorten the outbreak period to about 8 days. 

Affordability wise acyclovir 200mg > acyclovir 800mg > valtrex 500mg. Benefit of valtrex is that its got higher bioavailability, meaning a higher amount gets absorbed by your body to overcome the virus. the 400mg acyclovir is really cheap at polyclinics under $30 for a batch of 40 tablets. But may need to take 4 tabs/day. My GP quotes about $120 for 40 tabs of the 800mg acyclovir in case you need a cost reference.

Drink plenty of water, put sunscreen, and sleep more (keep to a regular sleep cycle) to reduce recurrences. Also you may want to also consider taking lysine supplements daily (can get on iHerb). This is an amino acid that if taken in larger amounts, reduces the ability for the virus to replicate as it feeds off another amino acid called arginine to grow. I think lysine helps regulate/balance the amount of arginine in your body. 

Whenever you feel an outbreak coming (numbing/tingling/fiery sensation in the area), take acyclovir immediately. So it's important to have extras on standby (ask your GP to give you extra, so don't always have to go back). Or ask for a prescription so next time can just call the clinic and get the medicine straight don't need to go consult him/her. 

Thank you so much for the practical tips.

Just want to ask how did you hide the open wound on your lips when you were having outbreak? 

When did your 2nd outbreak occur? How many times you had an outbreak since the first?

Lastly, but most importantly, how do we reveal our condition if we were to get attached one day? Most people will run away after hearing you have a STD for life. No different from HIV imo

The last time I got hiv check up was very long when I contracted herpes but thanks goodness no HIV negative but din say I got STD haven check HIV for long so I need go check last check was 2017 ord negative thankfully 

Stop having sex with random strangers and you'll be safe 

Get a real bf, fuck raw and cum inside with all you like without worrying after a good sex

I know people here prefer to go the exciting route but then paranoid fear so much on STD and aids 

16 hours ago, Guest sad said:

Hi Doc,

Is there any cream to apply on the area where the blisters were? After the scab has dropped, the color of the skin is lighter than the surrounding skin.

Does the blisters appear on chest? I had rashes on my chest during the first outbreak. Although I'm cleared now after my urine test tested negative, the rashes on my chest comes back again for no reason. I wonder if it's related to herpes.

The colour should gradually return to normal, may take 2-3 months.

Blisters on the chest would normally be herpes zoster (shingles). Get the blisters swabbed if possible, to find out.

16 hours ago, Guest sad said:

Just want to ask how did you hide the open wound on your lips when you were having outbreak? 

Lastly, but most importantly, how do we reveal our condition if we were to get attached one day? Most people will run away after hearing you have a STD for life. No different from HIV imo

Cold sores are common, nothing to get too embarrassed  about. Make up, or wear mask.

No need to think like that, chances are, these things settle down about a period of time. Don't get hung up over the "non-curable" part.

For instance, the common cold, is also non-curable. The body gradually gets it under control, some takes longer than others, albeit there is a chance of a relapse. But completely different ball game to HIV, HBV, HCV.  Unless you are severely affected, I do not see why you need to tell people.

Genital herpes can be a confusing disease. Symptoms can look like other conditions, or there may be no symptoms at all. How can you tell if you have it? These questions and answers will help.

Could I have genital herpes and not know?

Unless no one has ever kissed you, and unless you've never had sex, it is possible that you've picked up a herpes virus.

Oral herpes, usually caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), shows up as cold sores or fever blisters on the mouth. Even a casual peck on the lips from someone with a cold sore can give you the virus. That's why it's so common: As many as 50% to 80% of adults in the U.S. have oral herpes.

Genital herpes, most often caused by the second type of herpes virus (HSV-2), is less common, but plenty of people still have it. Roughly one in five U.S. adults has genital herpes. But up to 90% of those who have it don't know they are infected. You could be one of them.

What are some signs that I might have genital herpes?

Often, it's hard to tell by looking. The textbook symptom of genital herpes is a cluster of small fluid-filled blisters that break, forming painful sores that crust and heal during several days. Affected areas include the penis, scrotum, vagina, vulva, urethra, anus, thighs, and buttocks.

But many people don't get these sores. Some people have no symptoms at all, while others get symptoms that can be easily mistaken for razor burn, pimples, bug bites, jock itch, hemorrhoids, an ingrown hair, or a vaginal yeast infection.

After you're infected, the symptoms go away, but can flare up from time to time. Luckily, the first outbreak usually is the worst. And some people may have just one or two outbreaks in their lifetime.

Is there a test for genital herpes?

Yes. A doctor can take a sample from what appears to be a herpes sore and send it to a lab to be examined. You can also have a blood test. The blood test looks for antibodies to the virus that your immune system would have made when you were infected. HSV-2 almost always infects the genitals, so if antibodies to HSV-2 are detected in the blood, you probably have genital herpes.

A blood test that shows antibodies to HSV-1 means you could have genital or oral herpes. That's because oral herpes, typically caused by HSV-1, can be spread to the genitals during oral sex.

If I don't have herpes now, how can I avoid it in the future?

The only sure-fire way to avoid getting genital herpes is to abstain from sex or have sex only with someone who is also herpes-free. Short of that, a latex condom offers some protection if it covers the infected area. Remember, you can get genital herpes by receiving oral sex (fellatio, cunnilingus, analingus) from someone with a cold sore on the mouth. Likewise, you can get oral herpes from someone's genitals by way of oral sex.

If you know that a sex partner has genital herpes, you can reduce your risk by having sex (vaginal, anal, or oral intercourse) only when they have no symptoms. Nevertheless, genital herpes can be contagious even when there are no visible symptoms, so you should always use a latex barrier, such as a condom or a dental dam.

If your partner has a known history of herpes, the rate of transmission can be decreased by having your partner on a daily prophylactic (preventative) dose of antiviral herpes medication like acyclovir. Your partner’s doctor can prescribe this.

Studies are under way to investigate medicated gel products that can be placed in the vagina to reduce the transmission of herpes and HIV. These may be available in the near future.

What's the big deal? Can genital herpes kill you?

Genital herpes is rarely life threatening. But having herpes sores makes it easier for HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, to enter the body. Not only is there an increased risk for getting HIV if you have genital herpes, but having the two diseases together may also make each one worse.

A pregnant woman can pass genital herpes on to their baby, so it's particularly serious during pregnancy. If you get infected near the end of pregnancy, the risk is highest. At least 30% and as many as 50% of newly infected pregnant women give the virus to their babies. For moms who were infected long before delivery, the risk is much lower. Less than 1% of babies born to mothers with an older genital herpes infection get the virus. And if a woman has an outbreak at delivery, a cesarean section (C-section) is usually done.

Genital herpes is a lifelong condition for which there is no cure. Having it can force you to make inconvenient changes in life, particularly in your sex life, and it can cause you a lot of pain and discomfort. You simply would rather not have it.

MY TWO CENTS TO NOTE: (troubled after I read some of the comments here)

1) I am NOT A DOCTOR. PLEASE TAKE ANYONE CLAIMING TO BE A DOCTOR HERE WITH SOME CAUTION CONSIDERATION.

2) General Doctors might not give you all the proper diagnosis and if you feel that is so, best you seek a specialist who is to help you understand your condition and all the confusing symptoms.

3) TO SAY IT IS COMMON even by a doctor (claimed in this thread) to make this seem so casual is also suspect. If you read the above, it is anything but so common it is something you want to LIVE with just because you like to have casual sex and justify. THIS IS NOT TO SAY I MEAN YOU GIVE UP. If you horny, who am I to control your ability to stop? SO TAKE ALL PRECAUTION AND THINK BEFORE YOU ACT. Unless you want to spend your ENTIRE LIFE with the added routine of always looking out for outbreaks, medication, risk of outbreak that subject you to high rate of infection DUE to those sores...etc.

4) Some of the comments here makes this sound like a SMALL ISSUE and treat it too lightly even from a person who may or many not be a DOCTOR. You are all adults here and living your own lives. Take CARE of yourself. Nobody owes you a living and care as much as someone you know outside the internet. So ALL INFORMATION HERE SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A BIG PINCH OF SALT.

5) I do not claim it is but there could be guys infected and just want to ensure people drop their guard on this before it scare off potential sex hook ups or just nasty to past on this to you. There were those who had AIDS and their way of punishing the world for them getting it, is to spread it to innocent unsuspecting people in the early days till there were criminal laws on it till today.

6) Stop looking for loopholes to get around this or to justify your sexual activities. What you do is at your own risk. You deal with it. This is not the BEST PLACE to look for real health safeguards even if some folks here might have their heart in the right place.

This friendly warning I give be it Herpes, AIDS, STDs  or whatever illness. No one here including myself wear our real self identity here online. Never take what we said as entirely true or that we know what we are talking about.

CONSULT A REAL LIFE DOCTOR IS THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION. I write this because I care enough. GOOD ENGLISH OR NOT like my stalkers lover to nitpick on me.

*Thanks moderator for helping me clear this comment that did not post earlier.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Kayla95
On 1/3/2021 at 7:02 PM, Guest sad said:

I'm newly diagnosed with Herpes Type 1. 

This STD doesn't seem to be widely discussed here. Wondering what should I look out for to keep myself and my partner safe?

How did you get infected last time?

Can I know how you got infected? And how did you know you got infected? 

3 hours ago, Kayla95 said:

Can I know how you got infected? And how did you know you got infected? 

Just a normal one to one hook up session performing plain vanilla sex. No high risk activities. I don't even go saunas.

It shows how easy it is to get infected. 

Herpes Simplex Virus: HSV-1 & HSV-2

Herpes simplex viruses -- more commonly known as herpes -- are categorized into two types: herpes type 1 (HSV-1, or oral herpes) and herpes type 2 (HSV-2, or genital herpes). Most commonly, herpes type 1 causes sores around the mouth and lips (sometimes called fever blisters or cold sores). HSV-1 can cause genital herpes, but most cases of genital herpes are caused by herpes type 2. In HSV-2, the infected person may have sores around the genitals or rectum. Although HSV-2 sores may occur in other locations, these sores usually are found below the waist.

What Causes Herpes Infections and Outbreaks?

Herpes simplex type 1, which is transmitted through oral secretions or sores on the skin, can be spread through kissing or sharing objects such as toothbrushes or eating utensils. In general, a person can only get herpes type 2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. It is important to know that both HSV-1 and HSV-2 can be spread even if sores are not present.

Pregnant women with genital herpes should talk to their doctor, as genital herpes can be passed on to the baby during childbirth.

For many people with the herpes virus, which can go through periods of being dormant, attacks (or outbreaks) can be brought on by the following conditions:

• General illness (from mild illnesses to serious conditions)
  • Fatigue
  • Physical or emotional stress
  • Immunosuppression due to AIDS or such medications as chemotherapy or steroids
  • Trauma to the affected area, including sexual activity
  • Menstruation

What Are the Symptoms of Herpes Simplex?

Symptoms of herpes simplex virus typically appear as a blister or as multiple blisters on or around affected areas -- usually the mouth, genitals, or rectum. The blisters break, leaving tender sores.

How Is Herpes Simplex Diagnosed?

Often, the appearance of herpes simplex virus is typical and no testing is needed to confirm the diagnosis. If a health care provider is uncertain, herpes simplex can be diagnosed with lab tests, including DNA -- or PCR -- tests and virus cultures.

How Is Herpes Simplex Treated?

Although there is no cure for herpes, treatments can relieve the symptoms. Medication can decrease the pain related to an outbreak and can shorten healing time. They can also decrease the total number of outbreaks. Drugs including Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex are among the drugs used to treat the symptoms of herpes. Warm baths may relieve the pain associated with genital sores.

Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1)

HSV-1 is a highly contagious infection, that is common and endemic throughout the world. Most HSV-1 infections are acquired during childhood, and infection is lifelong. The vast majority of HSV-1 infections are oral herpes (infections in or around the mouth, sometimes called orolabial, oral-labial or oral-facial herpes), but a proportion of HSV-1 infections are genital herpes (infections in the genital or anal area).

Scope of the problem

In 2016, an estimated 3.7 billion people under the age of 50, or 67% of the population, had HSV-1 infection (oral or genital). Estimated prevalence of the infection was highest in Africa (88%) and lowest in the Americas (45%).

With respect to genital HSV-1 infection, between 122 million to 192 million people aged 15-49-years were estimated to have genital HSV-1 infection worldwide in 2016, but prevalence varied substantially by region. Most genital HSV-1 infections are estimated to occur in the Americas, Europe and Western Pacific, where HSV-1 continues to be acquired well into adulthood.

Signs and symptoms

Oral herpes infection is mostly asymptomatic, and most people with HSV-1 infection are unaware they are infected. Symptoms of oral herpes include painful blisters or open sores called ulcers in or around the mouth. Sores on the lips are commonly referred to as “cold sores.” Infected persons will often experience a tingling, itching or burning sensation around their mouth, before the appearance of sores. After initial infection, the blisters or ulcers can periodically recur. The frequency of recurrences varies from person to person.

Genital herpes caused by HSV-1 can be asymptomatic or can have mild symptoms that go unrecognized. When symptoms do occur, genital herpes is characterised by 1 one or more genital or anal blisters or ulcers. After an initial genital herpes episode, which may can be severe, symptoms may recur. However, genital herpes caused by HSV-1 typically does not recur frequently, unlike genital herpes caused by herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2; see below).

Transmission

HSV-1 is mainly transmitted by oral-to-oral contact to cause oral herpes infection, via contact with the HSV-1 virus in sores, saliva, and surfaces in or around the mouth. However, HSV-1 can also be transmitted to the genital area through oral-genital contact to cause genital herpes.

HSV-1 can be transmitted from oral or skin surfaces that appear normal and when there are no symptoms present. However, the greatest risk of transmission is when there are active sores.

Individuals who already have HSV-1 oral herpes infection are unlikely to be subsequently infected with HSV-1 in the genital area.

In rare circumstances, HSV-1 infection can be transmitted from a mother with genital HSV-1 infection to her infant during delivery to cause neonatal herpes (see below).

I posted the articles because the Herpes must not be anything that you contracted just recently. It might have been lingering around your body for years.

Oral HSV-1 infection is typically acquired in childhood.

It must not have been a sexual transmission.

I would recommend if you read up more from the internet.

I think you worry a bit too much. Please control your "paranoia" on this. The more you freak out, the more stressed you will be and in the end the outbreaks will come more often.

The outbreak could have happened just recently because you had lack of sleep, lots of stress or other worries (break up with your bf or other tragedies).

There are some studies that say, 70 - 80 % of the population have Herpes 1.

Please don't overdo.

Continue with your life, get enough sleep. Eat healthy and please stop worrying so much in your life. You will not just have more outbreaks but with your negative way of thinking you will have grey hair in 3 years.

Please be realistic. Stay positive and stop overly worrying.

Okies?

1 hour ago, singalion said:

HSV-1 can be transmitted from oral or skin surfaces that appear normal and when there are no symptoms present.

This is the danger part. I also read from some articles virus shredding can happen even when I have no symptoms.  

So what if I accidentally brush my arm against someone else? Will the person get infected by me?

10 hours ago, Guest sgman said:

The colour should gradually return to normal, may take 2-3 months.

Blisters on the chest would normally be herpes zoster (shingles). Get the blisters swabbed if possible, to find out.

Cold sores are common, nothing to get too embarrassed  about. Make up, or wear mask.

No need to think like that, chances are, these things settle down about a period of time. Don't get hung up over the "non-curable" part.

For instance, the common cold, is also non-curable. The body gradually gets it under control, some takes longer than others, albeit there is a chance of a relapse. But completely different ball game to HIV, HBV, HCV.  Unless you are severely affected, I do not see why you need to tell people.

Dear Doc,

My fingers also got infected during the same period I was having outbreak. I suspect it's Herpetic whitlow but the doc insisted that it's not related to STD.

I guess so because I had a small wound on my finger and I used that same finger for fingering.

The wound has closed up but the skin is still red and painful when pressed. Is my finger still infectious?

Does herpes transmit from fingering a herpes asshole? If so, how do I protect myself?

Guest Guest V

I have HSV-2 (genital herpes) but its not on my genitals but on my face. The symptoms (blisters, slight fever, headache) 1st appear about 1 year ago, and ever since then I have had 2 outbreaks (12 months apart). For the 2nd outbreak, i just had the blisters with no fever and headache).

I read that virus shedding is very very rare. As long as no one touches your blisters when you have an outbreak, you are good to go. Don't lose sleep about infecting others through virus shedding.

I actually have never heard of herpetic whitlow. If you want to believe that your fingers have herpetic whitlow, then make sure you keep your fingers to yourself when you have an outbreak on them.

(to be continued)

Guest Guest V

(continued)

Try to have acyclovir cream and Valtrex close by so that when you have another outbreak, you can take the Valtrex and apply the cream to hurry the recovery process.

Personally i have never experienced tingling feeling when an outbreak is about to happen so i cant comment on that.

Doctors said that subsequent outbreaks are milder - my 2nd outbreak is milder than the 1st but then again, i have acyclovir cream and Valtrex with me when the 2nd outbreak occurred. (So far i only have 2 outbreaks since my initial infection so i cant comment on a 3rd and subsequent outbreaks).

Key point to take away is - learn to recognize how YOUR sores look like and dont let the sores touch anyone and you will be fine. The sores will always reappear on more or less the same spot as the 1st outbreak and it will go away by itself WITHOUT medication in about 2 weeks.

Guest Guest V
2 hours ago, Guest Guest V said:

I have HSV-2 (genital herpes) but its not on my genitals but on my face. The symptoms (blisters, slight fever, headache) 1st appear about 1 year ago, and ever since then I have had 2 outbreaks (12 months apart). For the 2nd outbreak, i just had the blisters with no fever and headache).

I read that virus shedding is very very rare. As long as no one touches your blisters when you have an outbreak, you are good to go. Don't lose sleep about infecting others through virus shedding.

I actually have never heard of herpetic whitlow. If you want to believe that your fingers have herpetic whitlow, then make sure you keep your fingers to yourself when you have an outbreak on them.

(to be continued)

... and ever since then, I have had 1 more outbreak (12 months apart)...

Guest Guest V
2 hours ago, Guest Guest V said:

(continued)

Try to have acyclovir cream and Valtrex close by so that when you have another outbreak, you can take the Valtrex and apply the cream to hurry the recovery process.

Personally i have never experienced tingling feeling when an outbreak is about to happen so i cant comment on that.

Doctors said that subsequent outbreaks are milder - my 2nd outbreak is milder than the 1st but then again, i have acyclovir cream and Valtrex with me when the 2nd outbreak occurred. (So far i only have 2 outbreaks since my initial infection so i cant comment on a 3rd and subsequent outbreaks).

Key point to take away is - learn to recognize how YOUR sores look like and dont let the sores touch anyone and you will be fine. The sores will always reappear on more or less the same spot as the 1st outbreak and it will go away by itself WITHOUT medication in about 2 weeks.

... (So far I only have had 1 outbreak since my initial infection so I cant comment on the 3rd and subsequent outbreaks)...

18 hours ago, Guest Guest V said:

(to be continued)

Thanks for sharing.

Always good to hear from others in the same shoes. How did you hide the blister on your face last time?

What is the first symptom that appears in your 2nd outbreak? What was the trigger?

If you are sexually active and have multiple partners, there is always the risk of becoming infected. It is just life. Same thing every time you cross the road, there is always the risk of a speeding car coming down and hitting you. 

Stressing over it is not going to change the situation. Just make sure you follow the doctor's instructions to be treated. 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

3 hours ago, Guest sad said:

Thanks for sharing.

Always good to hear from others in the same shoes. How did you hide the blister on your face last time?

What is the first symptom that appears in your 2nd outbreak? What was the trigger?

There is no one rule covers all scenarios approach. Every person reacts differently, depending on health situation, immune system, stress level...

Move on please....

Guest Guest V
10 hours ago, Guest sad said:

Thanks for sharing.

I did not hide it. It actually looked like I had a cut or a bad scratch.

For the 2nd outbreak, there was no symptom - the blisters just appeared at about the same spot as the 1st outbreak. I dont really know what trigger it. If i have to really pinpoint a trigger, maybe it is the lack of sleep. But then again i always dont have enough sleep, so yeah i dont know what actually trigger the 2nd outbreak.

Catching it is a little less of a concern in my view.

The question is WHEN you HAVE IT, what will you do responsibly to ensure it does not spread to others. That's a moral question only one can ask themselves and know the answer. Same goes for other long term illnesses or infections. Sex is a powerful motivation for good and bad. But how is your conscience?

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

3 hours ago, upshot said:

Catching it is a little less of a concern in my view.

The question is WHEN you HAVE IT, what will you do responsibly to ensure it does not spread to others. That's a moral question only one can ask themselves and know the answer. Same goes for other long term illnesses or infections. Sex is a powerful motivation for good and bad. But how is your conscience?

What you are suggesting would lead to total abstinence.

With a virus like Herpes I it is difficult to know when an outbreak will come and it is quite "asymptomatic".

It looks like you are suggesting, he should refrain from any sex at all for his future life.

I would blame much more guys who had been diagnosed with a more serious STD ( such as chlamydia, genital warts, gonorrhea, syphilis, and trichomoniasis) are and either don't go for cure immediately, having symptoms but still visiting saunas, have plenty of sex partners or after having been made aware of the disease don't even wait to complete the window period (reconvalescence) for the STD to be fully cured and not infectious any longer and having sex during an infectious phase. A behaviour I consider irresponsible.

The latter are the most guilty ones in my view, so to speak, spreading the STD with knowledge. There are guys who have genital warts and you even tell them this, but plenty don't get it cured.

Herpes I is different I guess. As you can get it with kissing, your solution would mean total sexual abstinence.

• 4 months later...

I'm the one who started this thread. 

I was diagnosed with Herpes Type 1 on my dick in Jan 2021. 

I spotted an ulcer on my inner lips. Is this considered a relapse? Should I start taking medicine now? I don't feel feverish.

Does it have to be on my dick to be considered as relapse?   

Guest sgman
1 hour ago, Guest sad said:

I'm the one who started this thread. 

I was diagnosed with Herpes Type 1 on my dick in Jan 2021. 

I spotted an ulcer on my inner lips. Is this considered a relapse? Should I start taking medicine now? I don't feel feverish.

Does it have to be on my dick to be considered as relapse?   

inner lips--> very very very unlikely

Guest Tony Chen
On 1/5/2021 at 11:52 PM, Guest sad said:

This is the danger part. I also read from some articles virus shredding can happen even when I have no symptoms.  

So what if I accidentally brush my arm against someone else? Will the person get infected by me?

Don’t be so paranoid . If brushing against someone can infect so easily, 99% of the population would have gotten it already . You won’t have to wait till now to Kena . 
you’ve already got it , so just learn to manage it . Better rest , sleep cycles. Control stress levels. Have medicines n creams on standby . You’d be fine. And ya, don’t do sexual activities with others when you have symptoms . 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.