Male HQ

Uncle rips pride flag from Lau Pa Sat food stalls counter & throws it at staff (compiled)

Guest Guest

https://mothership.sg/2021/01/sg-man-throw-pride-flag/

He also called the stall's staff "the kind of people who is destroying Singapore" and told them to "go to hell. "

Man rips pride flag from Lau Pa Sat food stall's counter & throws it at staff

The owner said that the pride flag would continue to be on display at the store's two outlets.

Nigel Chua | clock.png January 19, 2021, 02:11 PM

fb-icon.svg tw-icon.svg
images-via-SMOL-Singapore-on-Facebook.jp
Staff at health food stall SMOL Singapore in Lau Pa Sat were confronted on Jan. 18 by a man about a rainbow flag displayed at the cashier counter.

A video of the incident was uploaded online by the owner of the stall, Charmaine Low, who was apparently at the stall at the time.

According to the caption on the video, the exchange between Low and the man began with him asking what the flag was.

When Low explained that it was to show support for the LGBT+ community, the man apparently said: "Do you know that this is a public food court? Not everybody support LGBT!!?? How can you put this flag??"

He also called the stall's staff "the kind of people who is destroying Singapore" and told them to "go to hell".

Low, calling the incident "homophobic abuse", expressed concern for her team's safety, but said that "we will not stop displaying our little pride flag at both our outlets".

The brand has another outlet at PLQ mall.

What the video showed

The video shows the man dressed in business attire with a tie and lanyard, walking past the storefront.

He pauses, appearing to notice the flag, and walks over to confront the staff about it.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-19-at-10.20.10-AM.pnScreenshot via SMOL Singapore.

He starts to walk away, but turns back, apparently to engage with one of the shop's staff, appearing to inquire about the flag.

The man gesticulates vigorously in their short exchange, before walking over to the flag, unceremoniously grabbing it from where it was mounted, and throwing it at the staff.

Pride-flag.gifGIF via SMOL Singapore.

The man appears to leave the bewildered staff with some parting words, pointing a finger at them accusingly, as he walks out the glass doors which he entered from.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-19-at-10.21.39-AM.pnScreenshot via SMOL Singapore.

Reactions online

Across SMOL Singapore's posts on both Facebook and Instagram, commenters expressed their shock, and disapproval of the man's actions.

A number of commenters called for legal action against the man, urging SMOL Singapore to report the matter to the authorities.

Many others, though, pledged their support for the stall and said that they would patronise and support SMOL Singapore, including some who said that they had not heard of the establishment prior to the video being circulated.

SMOL Singapore's support for LGBTQ community

SMOL Singapore's owner, Charmaine Low, explained in the video's caption that she supports "diversity and inclusion in all its forms, especially the inclusion of marginalised communities such as the LGBTQ community".

She added that she believes in using SMOL Singapore "as a platform to amplify the voices of those who are not heard," and that the "small pride flag" shows solidarity with the LGBTQ community and also served as a conversation starter with their customers.

"Discrimination against LGBTQ people in Singapore is well and alive"

Low described the events as "an unfortunate incident with someone who was not interested in having a peaceful conversation".

She said that the incident was also a reminder that "discrimination against LGBTQ people in Singapore is well and alive".

Expressing concern for her team's safety, Low nonetheless said that "we will not stop displaying our little pride flag at both our outlets".

Low also called on "other homegrown SMEs to show their support for the LGBTQ community in their own ways".

"There is so much more work to be done to promote understanding, love and tolerance for this community," she said.

You can see the full video here:

Guest A loud sigh
5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

https://mothership.sg/2021/01/sg-man-throw-pride-flag/

He also called the stall's staff "the kind of people who is destroying Singapore" and told them to "go to hell. "

A very unfortunate event that shouldn't have happened . Let us all stick to the topic, exposed the man in red tie and pressure the authority to act on him and shaming him to the max.  Everyone who happen to be nearby SMOL please give your support to their business. Shame on that devil in proper shirt and ties. It goes to show physically prim and proper does not necessary mean the person is good person. Ugly at its best. 

Guest Not enough
Guest Auntie Tetchy

He was acting like a tetchy old maid, menopausal bitch, PMS sufferer or someone who yearned to get laid but never got laid. 

Maybe he felt triggered by the flag due to the fact that he had missed the boat to come out, that he had gotten married to a woman, had children and is now contemplating divorce due to feeling stuck in an unfulfilling marriage.

The flag reminded him of what others are getting or going to get that he had missed or could never accept getting for himself.

When a woman hates gay, likely her husband is a gay.

When a man hates gay,  he's likely to be a gay.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest He crossed the line
8 minutes ago, fab said:

When a woman hates gay, likely her husband is a gay.

When a man hates gay,  he's likely to be a gay.

Not true. It is either their husband is ugly or their wife is ugly and the undersexed straight people needed an object to vent their frustration and then wandered into our bright colorful 

flag which became a proverbial bull's eyed of hate and the rest became history.

Let's pin this topic for daily update on whether Singapore authority is going to take action against such life endangering discrimination .

Keeping my eyes glued here. 

I think with this incident, it shows how important is solidarity of the community to support LGBT equality message to the public.

Or else, kids this generation will think that such behaviour of bullying LGBT community is okay.

Would love to see if more and more restaurants and other establishments put the rainbow flags in solidarity 

Edited by Geeky2020

5 hours ago, tomcat said:

this is a closet homophobe, and a classic bully.

he dare to do to little girl, xiao mei mei can be bullied by one pot bellied uncle.

see whether he dare to show his discontent to a group of strapping muscular gay men...

Yeap precisely, if those were male staff, I'd love to see him try.

35 minutes ago, Torrent said:

Yeap precisely, if those were male staff, I'd love to see him try.

If I manned the counter, I would pull his tie tight  and won't let him go until the police arrive and showed the ugly sight of him to the mounting crowds. 

3 hours ago, Guest Auntie Tetchy said:

He was acting like a tetchy old maid, menopausal bitch, PMS sufferer or someone who yearned to get laid but never got laid. 

Maybe he felt triggered by the flag due to the fact that he had missed the boat to come out, that he had gotten married to a woman, had children and is now contemplating divorce due to feeling stuck in an unfulfilling marriage.

The flag reminded him of what others are getting or going to get that he had missed or could never accept getting for himself.

Highly possible. A typical unhappy local uncle. Most people are in fact lost. They just follow what people telling them to live life. Children must study hard, get Ace in school, goto uni, major in a subject as told by others, get graduated, join a big company and work, find a gf, get married, get HDB, get offspring and repeat the cycle onto their children. They only realise they have not been their true self when they hit old age. They have been living in other's people life trying to match other's expectation. They feel unhappy. They hate those whom live free and able to persuade their own way of life. They thinking since they can't get their own life, why they should let other get theirs. And that's why they begin to attack and destroy others. In fact, they are pity people.

1 hour ago, kratos said:

It's pretty sad to read the comments in hardwarezone and other news medium. So much homophobia. Sometimes I wonder why is there so much hatred for people who are different from them.

Do you see ONLY understanding positive commentaries, impartiality good vibe in this THREAD? We have OUR FAIR SHARE of negative people with bias, emotional bias judgement and toxicity. At times, I wonder if we even know why some of the hostility we faced demonstrated by "the other side" come from. Our side perpectuate that misunderstanding and hate too. For people who think they are victims, I see a lot of hate here as well. Having experienced discrimination, you would think we would behave better with humanity?

THERE ARE ALWAYS BLACK SHEEP on all sides or group of people. Because of the few bad sheep, you do not start to paint everyone with the same brush. Like what you see happen at the US Capitol Hill. We are better than those despicable politicians.

I patronise SMOL off and on for their healthy food when I was working and on my way home from Paya Lebar. The staff is friendly, but they never push their corporate causes like LGBTQ+ in your face but kept it all about service and food. THAT should be the way.

From the conversation quoted by the staff in the news, THERE WAS NO INDICATION this asshole was a TRUMP supporter OR ANTI TRUMPER. He could be someone mentally disturb or is your typical anti-gay person with an axe to grind. No political statement of specific was hinted NOR can you make out from just a short verbal exchange.

I roughly think I know what triggered it but again without proof I will not jump to conclusion on it. Till more information comes into view. Let's cool down and not get bent out of shape jumping to conclusion, then go outside and act on vengeance and make matters worst. Getting in people's face is what starts so many of this shit situation in society.

He is an asshole crackpot and that's about it.

I am glad the staff did not escalate things further. Just being professional and took the right course of action. If anything that is what being an exemplary person all about, FIRST. That all it should be and not focus primarily on which sex you sleep with outside of work.  We are better than the zealot SJWs of the West.

Know why I keep up with the politics and social cultural mess in the US? I hate to see it fester here. Look at the shit storm there and get a good idea if it is takes hold locally, we will have one of our own too. So chill folks. We are gay but we are not dumb asses. Well most of us anyway. :P

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

2 hours ago, kratos said:

Sometimes I wonder why is there so much hatred for people who are different from them.

people fear what they do not understand. the unknown can create monsters where there are none.

there is also a malay saying, " you don't know, therefore you can't begin to love/understand"

which is why, within the big picture, it is important for us to be visible and not just during pride parade or pink dot,

gay men particularly need to be extra brave to come out and destroy this unknown factor.

(from my own perception, sapphic couples are more acceptable because women are gentle by nature.)

my next door neighbours are actually staunch christians, active in church, hdb, community affairs, yet we earned their trust and respect over time,

despite them knowing we are a gay couple, they see we have better values, morals and manners than normal straight people.

they may never accept me and my partner as "correct" or "sinless" or whatever, but at the core, they cannot deny that we are good people.

and that helps to shape their perception of other gay men/couples too. that we are also worthy of respect as human beings.

it is a long journey, but we have to do it, unfortunately.

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

1 hour ago, Neh Neh said:

Highly possible. A typical unhappy local uncle. Most people are in fact lost. They just follow what people telling them to live life. Children must study hard, get Ace in school, goto uni, major in a subject as told by others, get graduated, join a big company and work, find a gf, get married, get HDB, get offspring and repeat the cycle onto their children. They only realise they have not been their true self when they hit old age. They have been living in other's people life trying to match other's expectation. They feel unhappy. They hate those whom live free and able to persuade their own way of life. They thinking since they can't get their own life, why they should let other get theirs. And that's why they begin to attack and destroy others. In fact, they are pity people.

agree 100%. these are golden words, i see it all the time.

they just follow the "script" given to them blindly, and then realise many years down the road that they are unhappy. not only that, they are trapped. and knowing they are trapped for life, actually makes them very angry and hateful. my straight ex-supervisor once remarked that he hated his wife and kids, i was like, "whoa" when he said it to my face. i wonder how he takes it out on them, and other people. sad case.

as for this angry uncle in the video, he is lucky he is not in Europe or the States, because this is seen as an assault on the community. he would be exposed and hunted down, forced to resign, have to issue apology, slapped with court case, etc etc.

he is very lucky that Singaporeans in general are quite meek and apathetic. maybe that is why he did it, because he knows he can get away with it. another sign of a bully.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Yes people typically fear the unknown...and this fella is no different

he is scared of what he doesnt know or understand, which is the lgbtq community

that said, his actions must not be condoned or brushed aside

in fact this is a golden opportunity for the community to demonstrate solidarity and stand up to bigotry

the learning potential/upside from this saga is even greater than pinkdot, i feel. That's not to say that PD has no place in SG society. It has.

19 minutes ago, justin21 said:

We should speak with our wallets. Didn't the outlet sold out early yesterday after the news broke? That's the kind of positive affirmation needed.

LOL the owner must be very happy this happened. Sudden increase in sales.

5 hours ago, mate69 said:

Yes people typically fear the unknown...and this fella is no different

he is scared of what he doesnt know or understand, which is the lgbtq community

that said, his actions must not be condoned or brushed aside

in fact this is a golden opportunity for the community to demonstrate solidarity and stand up to bigotry

the learning potential/upside from this saga is even greater than pinkdot, i feel. That's not to say that PD has no place in SG society. It has.

The community has spoken, judging from the reported sold out at the SMOL branches and the numerous Police Reports made on behalf of the restaurant management.

Don't read and response to guests' post

3 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Not because the wife is a lesbian ah ?  LOL

Straight men don't .

In fact they will fantasise their wife having sex with another woman and get excited. 

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Pussyfoot
28 minutes ago, Guest KNN said:

Stop stressing yourself by speculating about that CB man. The point now is, has the man been caught and brought to justice? Why is our police so inefficient.

You will slowly find out that our SPF will choose to pussyfoot around LGBT issues and insist the man did not commit any arrestable offence, it was just harrasment, so they will not act upon it; if that man said he is a Christian, the police will insist he isn't wrong to have acted upon his religious conviction as he did not physically hurt anyone.

The most they will do is appear in groups more often to catwalk and strike a pose in their uniforms, showing off their nifty pussyfootings at Lau Pa Sat.

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

This is why SG is not ready to open up yet. 

Shouldn’t even be considering to open up. Look, our community has more or less survived. Why need to even display the flag? Like that straight people should all plant straight pride flags at all places.

56 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Shouldn’t even be considering to open up. Look, our community has more or less survived. Why need to even display the flag? Like that straight people should all plant straight pride flags at all places.

What's there for straight to pride when they are the majority.?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

https://mustsharenews.com/smol-sells-out-early/?fbclid=IwAR3E7H3Vt43969GCk4Q6K_PjpIsHGcvFtHEHsnv5Y4IwhBXFVXjdwnYsne0

There, the aftermath. A Happy ending for the food joint.

Great support and business has spiked after news of the incident got around. It proves, THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS AS BAD as short-sighted zealots among us claimed here or outside I am sure.

Just because of the few black sheep fuckers, one should not jump so quick to take a negative stance that everyone not like us hates us. That just makes matters worst if this thinking continues.

No one say the road towards a better society or acceptance will happen overnight or even in OUR lifetime (to see it) but we still have a duty to keep building towards it. IT ALSO includes not shoving or remind people about LGBT Rights each and every opportunity. No one is happy if messages keep getting shove at your face like everyone is against YOU. Keep doing that and YOU become the problem everyone will deal with.

Action speaks louder. We are not in this for the virtue signal limelight. Be part of the solution. Not the problem guys.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Observers
3 hours ago, upshot said:

https://mustsharenews.com/smol-sells-out-early/?fbclid=IwAR3E7H3Vt43969GCk4Q6K_PjpIsHGcvFtHEHsnv5Y4IwhBXFVXjdwnYsne0

There, the aftermath. A Happy ending for the food joint.

Great support and business has spiked after news of the incident got around. It proves, THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS AS BAD as short-sighted zealots among us claimed here or outside I am sure.

Just because of the few black sheep fuckers, one should not jump so quick to take a negative stance that everyone not like us hates us. That just makes matters worst if this thinking continues.

No one say the road towards a better society or acceptance will happen overnight or even in OUR lifetime (to see it) but we still have a duty to keep building towards it. IT ALSO includes not shoving or remind people about LGBT Rights each and every opportunity. No one is happy if messages keep getting shove at your face like everyone is against YOU. Keep doing that and YOU become the problem everyone will deal with.

Action speaks louder. We are not in this for the virtue signal limelight. Be part of the solution. Not the problem guys.

Good for you. One day they kill you and your family got thousands of dollars from sympathetic donations then it's no more a crime.

Your ostrich submission to being bullied don't bring understanding like they'll respect your oh so clever neutrality restraining. 

We who fight back become the problem? Are you serious or you think you're oh so intellectual /shit?

You think being submissive sheep they'll leave us alone? 

No, it's our collective expression of our human rights that will at least warn them off. But if the law closed one eye to our basic rights, they'll be embolden to do worse things next time and you'll be there to submit to them and cheer them on.

Guest Observers
8 minutes ago, Guest Observers said:

Good for you. One day they kill you and your family got thousands of dollars from sympathetic donations then it's no more a crime.

Your ostrich submission to being bullied don't bring understanding like they'll respect your oh so clever neutrality restraining. 

We who fight back become the problem? Are you serious or you think you're oh so intellectual /shit?

No, it's our collective expression of our human rights that will at least warn them off. But if the law closed one eye to our basic rights, they'll be embolden to do worse things next time and you'll be there to submit to them and cheer them on.

This world is now very small when virus from China stopped the whole world and killed 100s of thousands.

What happened to the gays in the US ( evangelists shooting gays at Orlando gay bar) is affecting us here. The churches here have cultural exchanges visits with those South churches, they refer to each other as brothers. They copied their fire and sermons podcasts.

They are radicalising under the patronage of Trump for years. They want to export their "good news" throughout the world. Unlike the Talibans, they are much more sinister to not wake up the frog like you while boiling it alive. 

This incident may seem minor to you but underlying it is the same kind of intolerance that bombed the World Trade Center.

It's a small little rainbow flag, not a huge "in your face banner" and you say we are in their face for gay rights? Are you serious? Or you so submissive that it's not even allowed to say the love that dare not speak its name?

Before this incident i dont even hear or know what SMOL is and where it is located. Now that this incident happen it even triggers me to want to go support them as already did by many others. This homophobic fool had done what he dont wish to happen lol

Guest Downpop
13 hours ago, Guest Observers said:

He doesn't care for equal rights for everyone. He just wants his freedom to cycle nude in public. He is AFRAID of pushback from the public taking away his freedom to indulge in this fetish.

14 hours ago, Guest Observers said:

1 hour ago, Guest Downpop said:

He doesn't care for equal rights for everyone. He just wants his freedom to cycle nude in public. He is AFRAID of pushback from the public taking away his freedom to indulge in this fetish.

People like you, the mental retard and unfortunately Gay bitch (I hope not) who represents the polar opposite pathetic to the rainbow-flag-throwing-UNCLE-Nutjob types who are as much a hindrance wrecking positive progression gay folks working hard to get closer to acceptance and fair treatment. Each step's well-earned, but for hateful humans like you hiding in the shadow spoiling it. Pulling us every step backward. Stereotyping all of us to being seen like you. Fight? You can't fight to save your own life. You are to be pitied and disregarded. I know too well, creatures like you. You rarely have or create happy endings in real life. I sleep well knowing that fact. More you bitch back, better the sleep.

Edited by upshot

Guest Downpop
16 minutes ago, upshot said:

People like you, the mental retard and unfortunately Gay bitch (I hope not) who represents the polar opposite pathetic to the rainbow-flag-throwing-UNCLE-Nutjob types who are as much a hindrance wrecking positive progression gay folks working hard to get closer to acceptance and fair treatment. Each step's well-earned, but for hateful humans like you hiding in the shadow spoiling it. Pulling us every step backward. Stereotyping all of us to being seen like you. Fight? You can't fight to save your own life. You are to be pitied and disregarded. I know too well, creatures like you. You rarely have or create happy endings in real life. I sleep well knowing that fact. More you bitch back, better the sleep.

When the public sees people cycling in the nude, they will associate gays with reprobates and perverts. Who is the one hindering progression? Empty vessel makes the most noise. Pls continue proving my point.

Guest Mediacorp Chinese Drama

Maybe that uncle was planted there by their guerilla marketing team. The uncle's actions were a bit over exaggerated like Channel 8 acting.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:41 AM, kratos said:

It's pretty sad to read the comments in hardwarezone and other news medium. So much homophobia. Sometimes I wonder why is there so much hatred for people who are different from them.

i read comments on hwz and was utterly stunned by the level of intolerance displayed by singaporeans. gosh, we haven't progressed one bit socially, have we? the responsibity to inculcate the values of tolerance and acceptance of minorities devolves squarely on the govt. i am certain mr lee kuan yew would have done a lot more in this respect than his successors.

16 hours ago, gc0805 said:

i read comments on hwz and was utterly stunned by the level of intolerance displayed by singaporeans. gosh, we haven't progressed one bit socially, have we? the responsibity to inculcate the values of tolerance and acceptance of minorities devolves squarely on the govt. i am certain mr lee kuan yew would have done a lot more in this respect than his successors.

For your own sanity just avoid the cesspit that is hwz, especially EDMW. There is always the worst of humans around no matter in which circles.

• G_M changed the title to Uncle rips pride flag from Lau Pa Sat food stalls counter & throws it at staff (compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.