Male HQ

Uncle rips pride flag from Lau Pa Sat food stalls counter & throws it at staff (compiled)

Guest Guest

On 1/24/2021 at 12:49 AM, gc0805 said:

i read comments on hwz and was utterly stunned by the level of intolerance displayed by singaporeans. gosh, we haven't progressed one bit socially, have we? the responsibity to inculcate the values of tolerance and acceptance of minorities devolves squarely on the govt. i am certain mr lee kuan yew would have done a lot more in this respect than his successors.

HWZ is mostly led by the loud minority. Just know that there will always be such people thinking like that when you walk the streets.

Guest 陌生人
8 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

HWZ is mostly led by the loud minority. Just know that there will always be such people thinking like that when you walk the streets.

I assume every stranger i meet think like EDMW peeps.

my thoughts , why is the stall placing the PRIDE flag for? 

Is it permitted?

A food stall are there to sell food, not others.

If wanna fight for freedom, do it at HONG LIM park, with approval.

Else today we see Pride flag, tomorrow we see aunties, uncles selling food, put banners at their stall, protesting about CPF, etc.

I don't agree of the man's action, nether do i think its appropriate to display PRIDE flag.

Sure let us all bow down and go into hiding. 

If you see the flag political ok. 

The we should scrap the pink ribbon against breast cancer and the yellow ribbon for understanding with ex culprits and the red ribbon in solidarity with people with AIDS and and...

Nobody takes my self pride and being gay, I am what I am. 

I don't see the issue because 60% of the citizen don't even know what the rainbow flag stands for. 

While the police are fast to nab a couple of harmless, silent protestors outside MOE for discriminating the Transgender student,  the elderly man who hurl rainbow flags and mouthed threatening words remain at large.   These recent scenes are starkly clear in the LGBT world that to government is not walking the talk and justice is not treating the LGBT people with fairness nor equality.  Let's count the number of days the police is going to wait, dealing with both scenarios and see which one is faster than the other to form your own opinion.

5 hours ago, Why? said:

While the police are fast to nab a couple of harmless, silent protestors outside MOE for discriminating the Transgender student,  the elderly man who hurl rainbow flags and mouthed threatening words remain at large.

I believe the uncle was tracked down, and apprehended for questioning but he was not charged. (i dont think he should be charged either, but he needs to undergo psychiatric evaluation and sensitivity training.) i read this in a follow up report, probably on Mothership if i remember correctly. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest pohahoha
3 hours ago, tomcat said:

I believe the uncle was tracked down, and apprehended for questioning but he was not charged. (i dont think he should be charged either, but he needs to undergo psychiatric evaluation and sensitivity training.) i read this in a follow up report, probably on Mothership if i remember correctly. 

if they want to charge him, for sure there is an offence available, public nuisance, harassment, POHA? If he doesn't have a record sure punishment is lower. Just a matter of will...

• 5 months later...

Man Who Threw Pride Flag in Eatery Given 24-Month Conditional Warning

Written ByShawn Ambrose

Did you know that flags originated on battlefields as a means of identification and hierarchy?

Over time, however, they have become sacred symbols of countries, organisations, and communities.

One such flag is the pride or rainbow flag, which is a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) and queer pride, as well as LGBT social movements.

One man who saw this flag displayed at a food stall’s counter was not too pleased to see it, however.

So, he had two choices:

1. Keep his opinions to himself
  2. Anything but throw the flag at the staff

So, naturally, he threw the flag at the staff.

But as your teachers used to say after you corrected them in class, actions have consequences.

For this man, the consequence was nothing more than a hard slap on the wrist.

Speaking in parliament yesterday (6 July), Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam confirmed that the man has been given a 24-month conditional warning.

Mr Shanmugam explained that the police did not recommend prosecution for the 47-year-old man because he did not cause any injuries and the incident was “not protracted”.

The man also had a history of mental disorder, which may partly explain his actions, Mr Shanmugam added.

According to the Attorney-General’s Chambers, the two-year conditional warning was handed out for the offence of intentionally causing harassment, alarm, or distress.

Mr Shanmugam added that the Government’s position is “clear” in that it does not condone any harassment and abuse of any person “for any reason”.

“The law protects LGBTQ individuals the same as everyone else,” he said.

What Happened

In Jan this year, CCTV footage of the incident went viral after the stall owner took to Facebook to recount her unpleasant experience.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=452054109512256

In the video, the man can be seen walking past SMOL, a health food stall, when he notices an LGBTQ pride flag displayed on their counter.

The man asks the stall’s founder why the flag was up and she explains that it was to show support for the LGBTQ community.

Upset, he initially walks away to show his disapproval before returning to the stall to berate the staff.

“Do you know that this is a public food court? Not everybody supports LGBT. How can you put this flag?” he allegedly said.

He then rips the flag from its post and throws it at one of the stall’s employees.

Both workers at the store were left stunned by the man’s act.

As he walked away, the man shouted that the stall’s workers are the ones “destroying Singapore”, and asked them to “go to hell”.

Fortunately, the store received an outpouring of support and said it will keep the pride flag up despite the incident.

Featured Image: Facebook (SMOL Singapore)

• G_M changed the title to Uncle rips pride flag from Lau Pa Sat food stalls counter & throws it at staff (compiled)
8 hours ago, GachiMuchi said:

Written ByShawn Ambrose

Did you know that flags originated on battlefields as a means of identification and hierarchy?

Over time, however, they have become sacred symbols of countries, organisations, and communities.

One such flag is the pride or rainbow flag, which is a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) and queer pride, as well as LGBT social movements.

One man who saw this flag displayed at a food stall’s counter was not too pleased to see it, however.

So, he had two choices:

But as your teachers used to say after you corrected them in class, actions have consequences.

For this man, the consequence was nothing more than a hard slap on the wrist.

Speaking in parliament yesterday (6 July), Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam confirmed that the man has been given a 24-month conditional warning.

Mr Shanmugam explained that the police did not recommend prosecution for the 47-year-old man because he did not cause any injuries and the incident was “not protracted”.

The man also had a history of mental disorder, which may partly explain his actions, Mr Shanmugam added.

According to the Attorney-General’s Chambers, the two-year conditional warning was handed out for the offence of intentionally causing harassment, alarm, or distress.

Mr Shanmugam added that the Government’s position is “clear” in that it does not condone any harassment and abuse of any person “for any reason”.

“The law protects LGBTQ individuals the same as everyone else,” he said.

What Happened

In Jan this year, CCTV footage of the incident went viral after the stall owner took to Facebook to recount her unpleasant experience.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=452054109512256

In the video, the man can be seen walking past SMOL, a health food stall, when he notices an LGBTQ pride flag displayed on their counter.

The man asks the stall’s founder why the flag was up and she explains that it was to show support for the LGBTQ community.

Upset, he initially walks away to show his disapproval before returning to the stall to berate the staff.

“Do you know that this is a public food court? Not everybody supports LGBT. How can you put this flag?” he allegedly said.

He then rips the flag from its post and throws it at one of the stall’s employees.

Both workers at the store were left stunned by the man’s act.

As he walked away, the man shouted that the stall’s workers are the ones “destroying Singapore”, and asked them to “go to hell”.

Fortunately, the store received an outpouring of support and said it will keep the pride flag up despite the incident.

Featured Image: Facebook (SMOL Singapore)

But why? Should throw him in jail for years and give him rotan. 🤬

12 hours ago, GachiMuchi said:

So, he had two choices:

I don't understand the word "naturally" in that sentence.

What does the writer want to tell us?

It is natural to throw around some display of any shop, food outlet?  So, he want's to say if you dislike something or are not too pleased, then you can just throw around any display inside a shop, restaurant, ice cream seller, salad bar and this is natural?

12 hours ago, auscent said:

Seems a bit intolerant of others. Need to attend experiential learning. 

They should put these together in the same apartment: MBS no mask citizen, gong woman, Pride flag ripper, Myammar maid abuser 

Yaaaas! All the crazies in one apartment!! 

13 hours ago, auscent said:

Seems a bit intolerant of others. Need to attend experiential learning. 

They should put these together in the same apartment: MBS no mask citizen, gong woman, Pride flag ripper, Myammar maid abuser 

Film a video and observe them fight isit!! ~ :lol:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.