Male HQ

Mental llness

Guest Mental

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/mental-illness-anxiety-depression-rudeness-eye-contact-cancel-plans-social-interactions-a7658171.html

Will I be terminated if I suspect I have the above mental illness?

I was trying to search for low mood and poor eye contact, is it a disease and came upon the above article. 

Not sure happy or not happy, all those points/symptoms so similar to mine. 

I copy and pasted below the points that I was referring to for easy reading.

It really affecting everyone around me. I dont want to lose my job yet if I tell them I might have mental illness will they terminate me?

Can someone advise me?

Usually a very chatty person, she says people can often feel confused by her behaviour when she is feeling depressed.

“When I’m feeling my lowest I find eye contact very hard to maintain, and the smallest interactions feel fraught. A fear comes over me that they’ll find my appearance disgusting, so I try not to talk with people and keep my head down.

“When I faced with conversation, I can also be rude and short with people as a way to defend myself from other people’s interactions when I am feeling my most vulnerable.”

“I often find it difficult to make eye contact, I sometimes avoid people altogether,” she says. “I kind of feel like if I don't look at people or make any noise, by usually by hiding in my phone then I'm invisible. But obviously I'm not!”

Her inability to make eye contact with others has caused serious problems in her personal life

“One of the issues was that she felt I was being rude or annoyed with her as I didn't look at her very much.”

I wish I could tell people, but it seems so inappropriate to bring up mental health to explain away rude behaviour. I feel like people will think I'm making a lame excuse."

2 hours ago, Slays said:

I think it’s better not to tell and seek professional help

Yes, professional help can be right in some cases.

But with professionals,  there is a risk that whatever condition one has, it is assumed to be "mental illness".   The professional's reason to be is ILLNESS!

How much of mental suffering is really due to illness?  It should not be too much,  perhaps only issues with the physiology of the brain.

One of the first areas of self-help is to deal with the fears of BEING SEEN.  

On 1/22/2021 at 4:26 AM, Guest Mental said:

“When I’m feeling my lowest I find eye contact very hard to maintain, and the smallest interactions feel fraught. A fear comes over me that they’ll find my appearance disgusting, so I try not to talk with people and keep my head down."

“I often find it difficult to make eye contact, I sometimes avoid people altogether,” she says. “I kind of feel like if I don't look at people or make any noise, by usually by hiding in my phone then I'm invisible. But obviously I'm not!”

Do we realize that "to be seen" is nothing but visible light reflecting on our body and being detected, upside down, by the retinas of other humans who happen to "look" in our direction?   To be seen is something completely passive.  We cannot detect the "being seen" and even much less, we cannot know what the "seeing" does to those who see us.  Do we realize how irrational it is to give importance to being seen? 

We have a FIRST CLASS WEAPON against this concern of being seen, and this is to gain assurance that WE ARE NORMAL.   Normal in appearance, that is.  For this all we need is a pair of mirrors,  so that we can see ourselves without anything outstanding:  we are not naked but our clothes are fit for the occasion, no disfigured face, no weird hair, etc.   We should aim to look NORMAL,  not SUPERIOR. 

Once we lose the fear of being seen,  we can relax and feel comfortable everywhere in public, even in front of a TV camera.  We are NORMAL, and should not attract any attention, while we have all the right in the world to exist, to be there where we are.

A second area of self-help is to deal with the fears of BEING JUDGED.

On 1/22/2021 at 4:26 AM, Guest Mental said:

“When I faced with conversation, I can also be rude and short with people as a way to defend myself from other people’s interactions when I am feeling my most vulnerable.”

---

I wish I could tell people, but it seems so inappropriate to bring up mental health to explain away rude behaviour. I feel like people will think I'm making a lame excuse."

This area is complex.  To be judged by WHO?   The most important WHO should be God...  but here to be an agnostic like me has its advantages, ha ha.

If it is not God,  then maybe it is The Boss.  This makes perfect sense.  And here the fear is to not measure up to his expectations of performance.

It can be our peers, our colleagues.  How influential in our life is their judgment?  Let's think how influential in THEIR life is OUR judgment.  One weapon against our fear can be to gain confidence of the power of OUR judgment of THEM.  We have all the right to have equal relevance in our judgment of them, than they have in their judgment of us.  To exercise OUR POWER,  we arm ourselves with courage and look them in the eye,  yes,  to see into them.   See what they are, how they are.  Once we can do this, we hopefully run into the biblical dictate:  Matthew 7:1-5 “Do not judge, so that you won't be judged.  It is a good self-help to resist the inclination to pass negative judgment of others.

This leads to a very powerful weapon in our self-improvement:  Suppress all negative emotions.  This is like a valve in our output that only lets pass positive emotions. When we feel happy we should let out all the cheers, laughs, positive emotions.  On the contrary, the negative should be kept inside, not exteriorized at all.  We should forget about all these ideas of being "sincere",  "honest", non hypocritical,  blah, blah, blah.  the same as the fallacy that we should not "keep  inside" the negative because this would hurt us. There are cordial, civil ways to say necessarily negative things. 

When we succeed in suppressing our negative emotions,  the "rude, short behavior"  will go away.   And with this, also going away will be the fear that people misjudge us because of our rude, short behavior.  This is a big help in overcoming the fear of being judged.

This are just some five cents of mine in the topic of mental illness.  Hopefully this can be of some help.  

Edited by Steve5380

16 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Yes, professional help can be right in some cases.

But with professionals,  there is a risk that whatever condition one has, it is assumed to be "mental illness".   The professional's reason to be is ILLNESS!

How much of mental suffering is really due to illness?  It should not be too much,  perhaps only issues with the physiology of the brain.

One of the first areas of self-help is to deal with the fears of BEING SEEN.  

Do we realize that "to be seen" is nothing but visible light reflecting on our body and being detected, upside down, by the retinas of other humans who happen to "look" in our direction?   To be seen is something completely passive.  We cannot detect the "being seen" and even much less, we cannot know what the "seeing" does to those who see us.  Do we realize how irrational it is to give importance to being seen? 

We have a FIRST CLASS WEAPON against this concern of being seen, and this is to gain assurance that WE ARE NORMAL.   Normal in appearance, that is.  For this all we need is a pair of mirrors,  so that we can see ourselves without anything outstanding:  we are not naked but our clothes are fit for the occasion, no disfigured face, no weird hair, etc.   We should aim to look NORMAL,  not SUPERIOR. 

Once we lose the fear of being seen,  we can relax and feel comfortable everywhere in public, even in front of a TV camera.  We are NORMAL, and should not attract any attention, while we have all the right in the world to exist, to be there where we are.

A second area of self-help is to deal with the fears of BEING JUDGED.

This area is complex.  To be judged by WHO?   The most important WHO should be God...  but here to be an agnostic like me has its advantages, ha ha.

If it is not God,  then maybe it is The Boss.  This makes perfect sense.  And here the fear is to not measure up to his expectations of performance.

It can be our peers, our colleagues.  How influential in our life is their judgment?  Let's think how influential in THEIR life is OUR judgment.  One weapon against our fear can be to gain confidence of the power of OUR judgment of THEM.  We have all the right to have equal relevance in our judgment of them, than they have in their judgment of us.  To exercise OUR POWER,  we arm ourselves with courage and look them in the eye,  yes,  to see into them.   See what they are, how they are.  Once we can do this, we hopefully run into the biblical dictate:  Matthew 7:1-5 “Do not judge, so that you won't be judged.  It is a good self-help to resist the inclination to pass negative judgment of others.

This leads to a very powerful weapon in our self-improvement:  Suppress all negative emotions.  This is like a valve in our output that only lets pass positive emotions. When we feel happy we should let out all the cheers, laughs, positive emotions.  On the contrary, the negative should be kept inside, not exteriorized at all.  We should forget about all these ideas of being "sincere",  "honest", non hypocritical,  blah, blah, blah.  the same as the fallacy that we should not "keep  inside" the negative because this would hurt us. There are cordial, civil ways to say necessarily negative things. 

When we succeed in suppressing our negative emotions,  the "rude, short behavior"  will go away.   And with this, also going away will be the fear that people misjudge us because of our rude, short behavior.  This is a big help in overcoming the fear of being judged.

This are just some five cents of mine in the topic of mental illness.  Hopefully this can be of some help.  

Wow bro that’s long. Why not u just take a look at this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO4YF7z0nWY&t=3s

The good thing about mental illnesses is that it can be cured by medicine or therapy. I can assure you it is better to visit a psychiatrist to evaluate your symptoms are they know best. Just let them know your symptoms and how are they affecting your life. Whether you want to take medicine or not is up to you upon diagnosis, or you may wish to seek for a psychologist for therapy instead. 

I can assure you that depression/anxiety would not terminate you for those reasons unless you are no longer fit for the job. However if your condition may be well controlled ie through medicine, I do not see it as an issue. Is your job customer service related? 

From your description I can advise that you may have social anxiety.

You may PM me if you want. I can answer more of your concerns. Hope you get well soon. Trust me it is better to seek for help that endure.

1 hour ago, Yooong said:

The good thing about mental illnesses is that it can be cured by medicine or therapy.

Not picking on anyone in particular but no offence to anyone, I would caution against making definitive statements like this that can mislead even if you are a medical practitioner log in here offering advice.

Not all mental illnesses can be cured by medication or therapy. Though many can or have medical solutions or therapeutic counselling to managing it.

I happen to live for over 20 yrs with someone who is bipolar with Schizophrenia, and I am aware of the reality of what mental problems are. He was initiatlly said to be possessed by some evil sinister ghost. Till properly diagnostic procedures once remove from the family people with stupid superstition.

Without a proper professional diagnosis by someone officially certified and authenticated, making such assumption is naive (or dangerous) EVEN if you are sympathetic to help. EVERYONE wears a blank face here. Worst case situation take advantage of people who are suffering in some way from it or offer false hope.

Even someone like me who often give tips and advice in here, I ALWAYS make it known, I am NO EXPERT and only offer my POV, links and personal experiences explained in detail as assurance BUT ULTIMATELY I want them to go seek proper offline professional help.

This links offer you some idea on the subject BUT is by no means something to use to help you self-diagnose. If you sense something is wrong and it is begining to effect more and more of your life around you. SEEK REAL HELP WITH A QUALIFIED PERSON. Stop looking for cheap good advice here or anywhere for that matter where your life is concern.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mental-illness/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20374974

https://www.nami.org/FAQ/General-Information-FAQ/Can-people-recover-from-mental-illness-Is-there-a

https://natashatracy.com/treatment/therapy/therapy-cant-treat-uncontrolled-mental-illnesses/

https://screening.mhanational.org/content/mental-illness-curable

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

2 hours ago, Yooong said:

The good thing about mental illnesses is that it can be cured by medicine or therapy. I can assure you it is better to visit a psychiatrist to evaluate your symptoms are they know best. Just let them know your symptoms and how are they affecting your life. Whether you want to take medicine or not is up to you upon diagnosis, or you may wish to seek for a psychologist for therapy instead. 

I can assure you that depression/anxiety would not terminate you for those reasons unless you are no longer fit for the job. However if your condition may be well controlled ie through medicine, I do not see it as an issue. Is your job customer service related? 

From your description I can advise that you may have social anxiety.

You may PM me if you want. I can answer more of your concerns. Hope you get well soon. Trust me it is better to seek for help that endure.

Social anxiety i find still easy to get treated and cure. But for panic attack i find not easy to cure. Esp when a person suddenly feel dizziness and could due to anxiety and panic attack is most scary and difficult to handle.

2 hours ago, upshot said:

Not picking on anyone in particular but no offence to anyone, I would caution against making definitive statements like this that can mislead even if you are a medical practitioner log in here offering advice.

Not all mental illnesses can be cured by medication or therapy. Though many can or have medical solutions or therapeutic counselling to managing it.

I happen to live for over 20 yrs with someone who is bipolar with Schizophrenia, and I am aware of the reality of what mental problems are. He was initiatlly said to be possessed by some evil sinister ghost. Till properly diagnostic procedures once remove from the family people with stupid superstition.

Without a proper professional diagnosis by someone officially certified and authenticated, making such assumption is naive (or dangerous) EVEN if you are sympathetic to help. EVERYONE wears a blank face here. Worst case situation take advantage of people who are suffering in some way from it or offer false hope.

Even someone like me who often give tips and advice in here, I ALWAYS make it known, I am NO EXPERT and only offer my POV, links and personal experiences explained in detail as assurance BUT ULTIMATELY I want them to go seek proper offline professional help.

This links offer you some idea on the subject BUT is by no means something to use to help you self-diagnose. If you sense something is wrong and it is begining to effect more and more of your life around you. SEEK REAL HELP WITH A QUALIFIED PERSON. Stop looking for cheap good advice here or anywhere for that matter where your life is concern.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mental-illness/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20374974

https://www.nami.org/FAQ/General-Information-FAQ/Can-people-recover-from-mental-illness-Is-there-a

https://natashatracy.com/treatment/therapy/therapy-cant-treat-uncontrolled-mental-illnesses/

https://screening.mhanational.org/content/mental-illness-curable

Yes, I’m sorry. Should have rephrased it properly. I meant to say that with the right medication, the condition may be controlled or help the patient get into a state where it is more bearable to live with, and that is for depression and anxiety in general. However SSRI drugs (anti-depression) may not work on some ~10% of patients, so other types of drugs are used alternatively to see what works best. Therefore it is advised to consult with a psychiatrist.

Generally if someone has bipolar, it can also be controlled like anxiety disorder. But for schizophrenia, if the patient is left untreated for a significant period of time, unfortunately most patients have to live with it, as it is most likely to have caused them to develop those symptoms as a permanent personality.

Every information online is merely a guideline to decipher a possible condition but cannot be used as a diagnosis.  

1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

Social anxiety i find still easy to get treated and cure. But for panic attack i find not easy to cure. Esp when a person suddenly feel dizziness and could due to anxiety and panic attack is most scary and difficult to handle.

Panic attack can also be controlled via administering/the consumption of anti-depression in a small dosage. It is highly advisable for you to consult a psychiatrist as some people may develop shortness of breath or even get light headed. Which if that does happen to you frequently and uncontrollably, I suggest that it is best to visit the psychiatrist and A&E is only an option if it is severe or an emergency.

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Guest Derelict said:

I normally avoid making eye contact with people I dislike. 

And you know what? Lots of fights get started because people made contact as in stare. 

I do understand that things may be difficult for you at this moment. However bare in mind that only you are able to help yourself with this, as only you know yourself best. Thus as a word of advice, do ask yourself what is going through your mind when others stare at you or when you have an eye contact with someone. Whether it is worries/concerns or others such as fear and anger. It is important to understand your own thought process. Just keep those in mind when discussing with your doctor.

13 minutes ago, Yooong said:

Panic attack can also be controlled via administering/the consumption of anti-depression in a small dosage. It is highly advisable for you to consult a psychiatrist as some people may develop shortness of breath or even get light headed. Which if that does happen to you frequently and uncontrollably, I suggest that it is best to visit the psychiatrist and A&E is only an option if it is severe or an emergency.

Hope this helps.

Usually i experience light headed or dizziness when having panic attack, not very often but when it happen, really scary. I also don't know why it happened. I have doubts if taking anti-depression can cure panic attack fully?

8 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Usually i experience light headed or dizziness when having panic attack, not very often but when it happen, really scary. I also don't know why it happened. I have doubts if taking anti-depression can cure panic attack fully?

For panic attacks it really depends if there are other factors, but you may be advice to take anti-depressants when needed ie when experiencing panic attacks and also be put on regular medication. If the cause is linked to another issue, for example due to an anxiety disorder, then medication would help to a certain extent, but panic attacks may still happen. I cannot say if it will cure, but it will definitely help control it from occurring often as panic attacks can develop suddenly and may be very frightening. If the panic attacks are; if you do already know, due to past trauma/PTSD or experience, I strongly suggest going for psychotherapy as well. This is because it is not easy to cope alone, as sometimes it is best to speak to a professional regarding your concerns.

10 hours ago, Slays said:

Wow bro that’s long. Why not u just take a look at this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO4YF7z0nWY&t=3s

Was my comment so long?  I looked at the video you posted, by Alien Mantis.  He also seems to favor self-help.  

I am not against professional help.  I have sought it on occasions.  But for the MIND,  I think that real facts, real science, are elusive.  We cannot look at mental illness under the microscope, like we can identify and study bacteria, viruses.  Diagnosis of a mental condition is not as easy as having a lab work done.  When I was a teen 60 years ago I had many personality problems, I went to a psychoanalyst for a while,  without any practical results.  Now I can judge this psychoanalysis of 60 years ago as bullshit.  As the years passed, my mental problems got resolved mostly through self-help. 

We should not put ourselves in the hands of a medical professional for him or her "to fix us".   We should have a positive attitude and confidence that we can help ourselves, WE are the ones who can see inside of us and understand us, what we feel.  We should have the initiative to investigate whatever is wrong with us and then eventually seek medical help as an INFORMED PATIENT,  not like an inert body that is totally helpless.  This goes equally for mental and physical problems.

The choice of self-help can be applied in many aspects of our life.  I am not an expert but I learned enough to be able to file my own taxes.  I never have a mechanic enter my home, because I learned to repair everything in it, electrical, carpentry, plumbing.  Same with my cars.  My 1995 Nissan Maxima, a 26+ years old car, never went to a mechanic, because I investigated and learned to repair everything that went wrong with it, and today it runs fine.  I could instead have gone to a mechanic as soon as there was something strange and said "I notice something strange with my car,  please fix it".   If so, I doubt that I would have the car anymore...

The TS wrote about his anxiety, depression, feelings of looking bad, unable to be friendly, make eye contact, etc.  and I detect there first the fear of being seen,  which is the basis of shyness.  I suffered from this badly, and I helped myself by realizing that I look normal and I could be covered by a invisibility cloak, seeing everything and everybody, without being noticed.   Then I detected the fear of being judged.  This fear can be especially pervasive for us gays, allegedly abnormal, weird,  etc. and this is a topic all by itself.  TODAY there are plenty of gay role models in the open that can help us minimize this fear.

Depression can be serious with many different causes, like biological effects in the brain.  But it may be worth giving a chance to psychological reasons, accentuated by the above mentioned fears.  For this, I have confidence in the cultivation of happiness.  To build up our muscles we go to a gym and make specific sets of weight lifting. To take a break from work at a desk we can stand up, stretch, walk around and take big breaths.  In the spiritual area,  we can pause our head and conjure the feeling of unconditional happiness for a while.  This is also an "exercise", that cultivates our happiness,  and it can give us a break during depression. 

All this self-help may not be a panacea, but it may contribute to attain mental health, which should be our steady state in life like physical help should be.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Derelict
8 hours ago, Yooong said:

I do understand that things may be difficult for you at this moment. However bare in mind that only you are able to help yourself with this, as only you know yourself best. Thus as a word of advice, do ask yourself what is going through your mind when others stare at you or when you have an eye contact with someone. Whether it is worries/concerns or others such as fear and anger. It is important to understand your own thought process. Just keep those in mind when discussing with your doctor.

I think you read too much into my statement. I'm speaking as a normal person. To say a person is mentally ill just because he/she avoids eye contact seems far fetched and even ridiculous. 

What I'm saying IS: avoid eye contact with strangers because you never know if they interpret your stare as hostility. Or stop looking at people you dislike. That also can misinterpret? Hello? See a doc yourself?

People avoid eye contact with others because of a host of reasons such as shyness, lack of confidence. Are you going to say they have mental issues too? 

I once met went for a job interview with this woman whom I shall call Bea. She avoided eye contact throughout the short talk. Stupid woman, if she isn't interested, she did not have to waste my time asking me to go down. What a rude cunt, zero courtesy.

2 hours ago, Guest Derelict said:

I think you read too much into my statement. I'm speaking as a normal person. To say a person is mentally ill just because he/she avoids eye contact seems far fetched and even ridiculous. 

What I'm saying IS: avoid eye contact with strangers because you never know if they interpret your stare as hostility. Or stop looking at people you dislike. That also can misinterpret? Hello? See a doc yourself?

People avoid eye contact with others because of a host of reasons such as shyness, lack of confidence. Are you going to say they have mental issues too? 

I once met went for a job interview with this woman whom I shall call Bea. She avoided eye contact throughout the short talk. Stupid woman, if she isn't interested, she did not have to waste my time asking me to go down. What a rude cunt, zero courtesy.

No, lack of eye contact with others is not a mental problem.  Is an avoidance of a positive interaction with another person, stranger or familiar. 

They recommend to avoid making eye contact with some animals who could become violent, like a barking aggressive dog.  But there is no danger with it as part of a friendly attitude, which should be our normal attitude even with persons we dislike.  Eye contact is a recognition of the other person as a fellow human.  I usually find that it is well received.

5 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Was my comment so long?  I looked at the video you posted, by Alien Mantis.  He also seems to favor self-help.  

I am not against professional help I have sought it on occasions.  But for the MIND,  I think that real facts, real science, are elusive.  We cannot look at mental illness under the microscope, like we can identify and study bacteria, viruses.  Diagnosis of a mental condition is not as easy as having a lab work done.  When I was a teen 60 years ago I had many personality problems, I went to a psychoanalyst for a while,  without any practical results.  Now I can judge this psychoanalysis of 60 years ago as bullshit.  As the years passed, my mental problems got resolved mostly through self-help. 

We should not put ourselves in the hands of a medical professional for him or her "to fix us".   We should have a positive attitude and confidence that we can help ourselves, WE are the ones who can see inside of us and understand us, what we feel.  We should have the initiative to investigate whatever is wrong with us and then eventually seek medical help as an INFORMED PATIENT,  not like an inert body that is totally helpless.  This goes equally for mental and physical problems.

The choice of self-help can be applied in many aspects of our life.  I am not an expert but I learned enough to be able to file my own taxes.  I never have a mechanic enter my home, because I learned to repair everything in it, electrical, carpentry, plumbing.  Same with my cars.  My 1995 Nissan Maxima, a 26+ years old car, never went to a mechanic, because I investigated and learned to repair everything that went wrong with it, and today it runs fine.  I could instead have gone to a mechanic as soon as there was something strange and said "I notice something strange with my car,  please fix it".   If so, I doubt that I would have the car anymore...

The TS wrote about his anxiety, depression, feelings of looking bad, unable to be friendly, make eye contact, etc.  and I detect there first the fear of being seen,  which is the basis of shyness.  I suffered from this badly, and I helped myself by realizing that I look normal and I could be covered by a invisibility cloak, seeing everything and everybody, without being noticed.   Then I detected the fear of being judged.  This fear can be especially pervasive for us gays, allegedly abnormal, weird,  etc. and this is a topic all by itself.  TODAY there are plenty of gay role models in the open that can help us minimize this fear.

Depression can be serious with many different causes, like biological effects in the brain.  But it may be worth giving a chance to psychological reasons, accentuated by the above mentioned fears.  For this, I have confidence in the cultivation of happiness.  To build up our muscles we go to a gym and make specific sets of weight lifting. To take a break from work at a desk we can stand up, stretch, walk around and take big breaths.  In the spiritual area,  we can pause our head and conjure the feeling of unconditional happiness for a while.  This is also an "exercise", that cultivates our happiness,  and it can give us a break during depression. 

All this self-help may not be a panacea, but it may contribute to attain mental health, which should be our steady state in life like physical help should be.

Please don't take my kindness the wrong way.  Have you consider revisiting your psychoanalysis? 

42 minutes ago, Why? said:

Please don't take my kindness the wrong way.  Have you consider revisiting your psychoanalysis? 

Your kindness?   You are not on my payroll to edit my posts.  If you fool around with them, this is your business.

What about psychoanalysis?  The one I know is 60 years old.  Maybe it has improved?  At the time, it felt like a dumb game of minds.

How is your mental health?   I would not recommend you psychoanalysis.

Edited by Steve5380

9 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Your kindness?   You are not on my payroll to edit my posts.  If you fool around with them, this is your business.

What about psychoanalysis?  The one I know is 60 years old.  Maybe it has improved?  At the time, it felt like a dumb game of minds.

How is your mental health?   I would not recommend you psychoanalysis.

I was trying to get to the point of your extremely long message, for my personal consumption.  The psychoanalyst you've seen 40 years ago, probably wasn't trying to pinpoint  your problems when you were in your teen, he was telling you what is going to happen 40 years later?  Those medical professional are trained for a reason.  No? 

26 minutes ago, Why? said:

I was trying to get to the point of your extremely long message, for my personal consumption.  The psychoanalyst you've seen 40 years ago, probably wasn't trying to pinpoint  your problems when you were in your teen, he was telling you what is going to happen 40 years later?  Those medical professional are trained for a reason.  No? 

No.  I didn't see a psychoanalyst 40 years ago but 60 years ago when I was a teenager.  40 years ago I had already overcame my early-life problems.

And yes,  those medical professionals are trained for a reason: to give them a lucrative practice.  They learn a "medical theory", in this case initiated by Freud.  It is something similar to the good priest who will counsel you about taking the path to heaven, based on what he learned in the seminary.  And if you have faith, you can go to a gender reeducation program where from gay they will make you straight.  These counselors have also been trained for a reason.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Derelict
2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

No, lack of eye contact with others is not a mental problem.  Is an avoidance of a positive interaction with another person, stranger or familiar. 

They recommend to avoid making eye contact with some animals who could become violent, like a barking aggressive dog.  But there is no danger with it as part of a friendly attitude, which should be our normal attitude even with persons we dislike.  Eye contact is a recognition of the other person as a fellow human.  I usually find that it is well received.

It is entirely up to you. To make eye contact with aggressive animals or people. If you get beaten up, bitten or eaten, well that's your life and the choices you make.

I choose to steer clear of hostile persons/animals. And only make eye contact / conversation with nice people.  Don't want to waste time/effort on nasties. Not worthwhile.

7 hours ago, Guest Derelict said:

Lol, I just realised that I mistaken your comment as the host’s. Thought that it was quoted to me for my earlier reply. Sorry about that. 

Guest Derelict
5 hours ago, Yooong said:

Lol, I just realised that I mistaken your comment as the host’s. Thought that it was quoted to me for my earlier reply. Sorry about that. 

No worries :) 

21 hours ago, Yooong said:

For panic attacks it really depends if there are other factors, but you may be advice to take anti-depressants when needed ie when experiencing panic attacks and also be put on regular medication. If the cause is linked to another issue, for example due to an anxiety disorder, then medication would help to a certain extent, but panic attacks may still happen. I cannot say if it will cure, but it will definitely help control it from occurring often as panic attacks can develop suddenly and may be very frightening. If the panic attacks are; if you do already know, due to past trauma/PTSD or experience, I strongly suggest going for psychotherapy as well. This is because it is not easy to cope alone, as sometimes it is best to speak to a professional regarding your concerns.

Maybe you are right on the past trauma that i have which trigger the panic attack, and since then i have panic attack on and off, esp if the trigger factor trigger it. So i tend to avoid doing things that might trigger my anxiety/panic. Seen psychology before, doesn't seems to help much.

18 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Maybe you are right on the past trauma that i have which trigger the panic attack, and since then i have panic attack on and off, esp if the trigger factor trigger it. So i tend to avoid doing things that might trigger my anxiety/panic. Seen psychology before, doesn't seems to help much.

It's good that you have identified the things to avoid that trigger your anxiety, panic.   Psychology helps in the first place the psychologists. 

There seems to be a connection mind-body.  "Mens sana in corpore sano".  Good nutrition and healthy, strong body through exercise can cure old traumas.  And better than visiting the psychologist may be to visit a martial arts dojo and continue the self-help with learning self-defense. 

22 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

It's good that you have identified the things to avoid that trigger your anxiety, panic.   Psychology helps in the first place the psychologists. 

There seems to be a connection mind-body.  "Mens sana in corpore sano".  Good nutrition and healthy, strong body through exercise can cure old traumas.  And better than visiting the psychologist may be to visit a martial arts dojo and continue the self-help with learning self-defense. 

Seems like good to identified the things to avoid that trigger my anxiety/panic, but long run my anxiety/panic still cannot fully cure and i am like living in fear that don't know when it will trigger my anxiety/panic.

1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

Seems like good to identified the things to avoid that trigger my anxiety/panic, but long run my anxiety/panic still cannot fully cure and i am like living in fear that don't know when it will trigger my anxiety/panic.

Some deficiencies are not overcome overnight, it helps to be optimistic that they eventually go away.  If you have say, 50+ years of life ahead, it is not a disgrace that a predisposition for anxiety/panic lingers around for months or even years. Ultimately, with healthy lifestyle and cultivation of happiness, it most probably will vanish. 

11 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Some deficiencies are not overcome overnight, it helps to be optimistic that they eventually go away.  If you have say, 50+ years of life ahead, it is not a disgrace that a predisposition for anxiety/panic lingers around for months or even years. Ultimately, with healthy lifestyle and cultivation of happiness, it most probably will vanish. 

I have this anxiety/panic for 6 years and still trigger on and off, although the rates of triggering reduce a lot, or when it happened, i have learn to overcome it than before. But when i am tired, stress or unwell, my anxiety/panic could feel more visible. And anxiety also affect my sleep when it trigger off, cannot sleep well or cannot fall asleep fast.

Guest Dietrician wanabe
13 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

If a person can easily identify the source of their anxiety, it is considered a mild case.  Instead of trying very hard to play with the mind, I suggest consuming something more useful, especially magnesium and vitamin D.  There is no lack of Vit-D in Singapore.  Go out and sweat the shit of your body and you will feel good.

11 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

I have this anxiety/panic for 6 years and still trigger on and off, although the rates of triggering reduce a lot, or when it happened, i have learn to overcome it than before. But when i am tired, stress or unwell, my anxiety/panic could feel more visible. And anxiety also affect my sleep when it trigger off, cannot sleep well or cannot fall asleep fast.

Have you tried to actively reduce your stress, like doing a little meditation every day?  

Can you reduce activities that make you tired?   Can you apply techniques to improve sleep,  like doing it always at a fixed time, no TV in bedroom, no lights, noises,  not eating late, etc?   Good sleep is good medicine.

17 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Did you visited the psychiatrist or psychologist/psychotherapist, cause psychotherapist will help you towards recovering, you will definitely have ups and downs, but ultimately grow towards being better. Psychiatrist will only give you a diagnosis and medication to assist you. By the end of the day, you will feel better, albeit takes time.

12 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Have you tried to actively reduce your stress, like doing a little meditation every day?  

Can you reduce activities that make you tired?   Can you apply techniques to improve sleep,  like doing it always at a fixed time, no TV in bedroom, no lights, noises,  not eating late, etc?   Good sleep is good medicine.

Stress is something difficult to know if i am over stress or not?! Even i want to reduce but not that easy like turning on and off a tap.

Agree sleep is a good medicine. Last time when i have no anxiety problem, my sleep is quite good. Can fall asleep fast and can sleep well, but now not anymore. My sleep now is sometimes good, sometimes no good, i also don't know why.

9 hours ago, Yooong said:

Did you visited the psychiatrist or psychologist/psychotherapist, cause psychotherapist will help you towards recovering, you will definitely have ups and downs, but ultimately grow towards being better. Psychiatrist will only give you a diagnosis and medication to assist you. By the end of the day, you will feel better, albeit takes time.

I visited psychologist before, i do not find the psychotherapist is helping me, since the things that the psychologist told me, i can google from the web. after a few session, the psychologist also told me no need to go back anymore. So far i try to overcome my anxiety myself, and so far have improved but still seems not fully recover.

Psychiatrist even worse, went once and the psychiatrist said no need to go back and gave me some very low dosage relaxant med. 

19 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

I visited psychologist before, i do not find the psychotherapist is helping me, since the things that the psychologist told me, i can google from the web. after a few session, the psychologist also told me no need to go back anymore. So far i try to overcome my anxiety myself, and so far have improved but still seems not fully recover.

Psychiatrist even worse, went once and the psychiatrist said no need to go back and gave me some very low dosage relaxant med. 

You are lucky your therapist did not string you on and syphon you dry of your money!

Or maybe your life stories hadn't been eventful or entertaining enough for your therapist to want to continue seeing you?

24 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

At least the psychologist and psychiatrist were honest and didn't enlist you for open-ended extended treatments.

Anything "psycho" that is not related to underlying brain problems is better attended by ourselves because we have the passwords for our feelings and emotions.  Outsider professionals can only deal with us like experts trying to troubleshoot a computer they cannot log into. 

Guest Computer Expert
On 1/31/2021 at 12:42 AM, Steve5380 said:

Outsider professionals can only deal with us like experts trying to troubleshoot a computer they cannot log into. 

They can by-pass the log-in mechanism to reboot and set a new login code for you.  Otherwise, how do you call them an expert?  When was the last time you have your brain checked,  learn computer?

1 minute ago, Guest Computer Expert said:

They can by-pass the log-in mechanism to reboot and set a new login code for you.  Otherwise, how do you call them an expert?  When was the last time you have your brain checked,  learn computer?

You have a wonderful idea with rebooting the individual to set a new login code.  But in your 'expertise' you forgot to important impediments:

1- There is no source code for the human mind.  Nothing that would allow them to find a hack to bypass the login protection.

2- The human brain cannot be rebooted, since it must keep running during sleep, coma, whatever.  The only "reboot" possible is death and resuscitation.

Guest Computer Expert
24 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

You have a wonderful idea with rebooting the individual to set a new login code.  But in your 'expertise' you forgot to important impediments:

I did not forget that you used computer as an analogy to your argument. So I am using computer as an example to counter you.  Next time use a more appropriate example. 

17 minutes ago, Guest Computer Expert said:

I did not forget that you used computer as an analogy to your argument. So I am using computer as an example to counter you.  Next time use a more appropriate example. 

Well, the computer is a good analogy,  to the point that you didn't consider that we humans cannot be rebooted  :) 

On 1/31/2021 at 12:11 AM, Guest guest said:

Did you happen to visit IMH or was it a GH or private clinic? 

I would normally suggest one to actually find out as much symptoms as possible, and explain your difficulties that these are causing you in your life to the doctor. Just monitor and take note of what’s going through your mind when you experience these. I would suggest government hospitals more than private hospitals tbh, because private hospitals charge by the hour, and this may result in abrupt diagnosis.

On 1/31/2021 at 12:36 AM, Guest Cynic said:

You are lucky your therapist did not string you on and syphon you dry of your money!

Or maybe your life stories hadn't been eventful or entertaining enough for your therapist to want to continue seeing you?

I went to see therapist in polyclinic, so rates quite cheap. So would not dry out my money. I also why my therapist don't want to continue to see me, maybe my therapist find my condition is not serious, so i can help myself to overcome it?

3 hours ago, Yooong said:

Did you happen to visit IMH or was it a GH or private clinic? 

I would normally suggest one to actually find out as much symptoms as possible, and explain your difficulties that these are causing you in your life to the doctor. Just monitor and take note of what’s going through your mind when you experience these. I would suggest government hospitals more than private hospitals tbh, because private hospitals charge by the hour, and this may result in abrupt diagnosis.

Do you advise to go to govt hospital to see a psychiatrist or IMH to see a psychiatrist?

I went to govt hospital neurology dept to see the psychiatrist.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.