Male HQ

Gaming chair

Jungleman

Guest Question

Do gaming chairs come with force feedback? In built surround sound speakers? Or what’s so special about a gaming chair that a good ergonomic chair does not have?

On 1/31/2021 at 9:11 PM, Jungleman said:

I am looking into getting a gaming chair, or at least a chair that is comfortable.

The common brand to go for is Secret lab but I heard there are better options.

Any suggestions?

Secret Lab I find quite pricey.

Have been eyeing on a more affordable alternative which is rather popular as well.

https://apol.sg/

On 2/3/2021 at 3:40 PM, SociNerd said:

I've had a secretlab chair for 2 years now and it's been great. Much like a car seat. But I'd strongly advise against getting leather. It'll peel off so better to get fabric! Better investment and lasts longer

I bought that ... the 2018 model and regret it a lot... paid much for the Omega with that carbon fibre look but in less then a year.. it was a messy peeling episode. I think they got a lot of complain about it as they offer to replace the covering.... IF YOU TAKE THE TROUBLE TO BRING IT IN YOURSELF, LEAVE IT THERE TO BE FIXED AND THEN GO BACK TO PICK IT UP. If you have no car or not willing to throw some money to hire people to do it, they heck-care about helping you further. First two times I feature how bad the peeling got on their Facebook.. they censor it. I think they made a bad mistake with the choice of upholstering material but did nothing till they got a lot of bad press so was force to do something with it. I only know they had a free upholstering replacement over a year later. I know that as I tried to look for details on it and found none.. and  NOW they do. No wonder they started to sell fabrics ones. Before they did not.

Did not like the way they handle the situation and being from retail, I find it unacceptable to how they dealt with it. I am NOT buying anymore from them and am looking around for a new chair. There are many in the market which look similar but maybe a little cheaper but be careful of the material used. I would rather get fabric or real leather. If not get those with a good PVC cover that will not peel easy. There are premium ones too like one I am eyeing now but not sure if the covers will last... the OSIM gaming massage chair. I think it is abit gimmick BUT so is a GAMING CHAIR as per say. That word is so wrongly or misused as some marketing ploy. The look like a racing car visually. What is so 'gaming' qualify about it? I have gaming chairs for a few years now, and it did nothing for me to help my gaming but offer me a seat and looks. ANY CHAIR that is good to sit on, has a few good adjustment points will already make it a good chair. The reason I thought for buying that SecretLab chair? The carbon graphic texture which fucked-up and also it was the one that can have the back go all the way down that I can sleep on it like a bed if I was too tired and want a short nap. That was it. For gaming, not really. I have a Thrustmast RS3000 racing wheel and pedal system which does not work too well with it. My Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS joystick system will still work with or without that seat. Also depend on whether you want to lean back or ensure it does not lean back easy depending on how near or far your monitor is situated.

That whole gaming chair design is really more gimmick than it really help with your gaming. Get a chair that is solid, holds you well, has good material use that stands up to years of use and cleaning. AND stand up to jerk off or nude session in it! hehehe I know I would.... *wink*  SecretLab chairs are well made structurally if not for covering and aftersale did not fail me, I would give it a good recommendation.

secretlab.thumb.jpg.95fea0dbdf7136ca67e4abf0524f6122.jpg

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:14 AM, upshot said:

I bought that ... the 2018 model and regret it a lot... paid much for the Omega with that carbon fibre look but in less then a year.. it was a messy peeling episode. I think they got a lot of complain about it as they offer to replace the covering.... IF YOU TAKE THE TROUBLE TO BRING IT IN YOURSELF, LEAVE IT THERE TO BE FIXED AND THEN GO BACK TO PICK IT UP. If you have no car or not willing to throw some money to hire people to do it, they heck-care about helping you further. First two times I feature how bad the peeling got on their Facebook.. they censor it. I think they made a bad mistake with the choice of upholstering material but did nothing till they got a lot of bad press so was force to do something with it. I only know they had a free upholstering replacement over a year later. I know that as I tried to look for details on it and found none.. and  NOW they do. No wonder they started to sell fabrics ones. Before they did not.

Did not like the way they handle the situation and being from retail, I find it unacceptable to how they dealt with it. I am NOT buying anymore from them and am looking around for a new chair. There are many in the market which look similar but maybe a little cheaper but be careful of the material used. I would rather get fabric or real leather. If not get those with a good PVC cover that will not peel easy. There are premium ones too like one I am eyeing now but not sure if the covers will last... the OSIM gaming massage chair. I think it is abit gimmick BUT so is a GAMING CHAIR as per say. That word is so wrongly or misused as some marketing ploy. The look like a racing car visually. What is so 'gaming' qualify about it? I have gaming chairs for a few years now, and it did nothing for me to help my gaming but offer me a seat and looks. ANY CHAIR that is good to sit on, has a few good adjustment points will already make it a good chair. The reason I thought for buying that SecretLab chair? The carbon graphic texture which fucked-up and also it was the one that can have the back go all the way down that I can sleep on it like a bed if I was too tired and want a short nap. That was it. For gaming, not really. I have a Thrustmast RS3000 racing wheel and pedal system which does not work too well with it. My Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS joystick system will still work with or without that seat. Also depend on whether you want to lean back or ensure it does not lean back easy depending on how near or far your monitor is situated.

That whole gaming chair design is really more gimmick than it really help with your gaming. Get a chair that is solid, holds you well, has good material use that stands up to years of use and cleaning. AND stand up to jerk off or nude session in it! hehehe I know I would.... *wink*  SecretLab chairs are well made structurally if not for covering and aftersale did not fail me, I would give it a good recommendation.

secretlab.thumb.jpg.95fea0dbdf7136ca67e4abf0524f6122.jpg

My chair looks like urs now omg. So u mean I can get the pvc changed even after 2 years?

10 minutes ago, SociNerd said:

My chair looks like urs now omg. So u mean I can get the pvc changed even after 2 years?

According to them. BUT it has to be the 2018 model. And you have to bring it down for them to do it. Best you send them photos of it to ask or confirm that yours is the 2018. I find it troublesome to get that chair there since I do not own a car and deliver is not cheap either way.. they screw up on QC and I still have to spend more money on it. I rather go buy a new chair from another brand. I vote with my wallet heh.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

On 1/31/2021 at 9:11 PM, Jungleman said:

I am looking into getting a gaming chair, or at least a chair that is comfortable.

The common brand to go for is Secret lab but I heard there are better options.

Any suggestions?

Heyyyy, wise of you to ask around for advice! 

I think an important part of buying a chair is fitting your needs, so does comfortable mean ergonomic? Or something else? 

I usually advise people to avoid gaming-branded chairs in general because they’re not primarily designed for good sitting posture in mind. So the best place to look for a chair is actually in the office, or specifically, an office chair. Those chairs look less gamery and “premium” and focuses on attempting to deliver a good experience when seated for long hours. 

Especially in Singapore where it’s really hot and not everyone uses air conditioning, the materials of the chair matters: like what upshot said above, leather will peel. It’ll look ugly over time and this will diminish your experience as well. I’ve considered gaming chairs before but after reading more about materials, I’ll steer clear of them.

You can watch this video about a subjective opinion but rationale answer to why you should avoid gaming chairs.

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

6 hours ago, upshot said:

According to them. BUT it has to be the 2018 model. And you have to bring it down for them to do it. Best you send them photos of it to ask or confirm that yours is the 2018. I find it troublesome to get that chair there since I do not own a car and deliver is not cheap either way.. they screw up on QC and I still have to spend more money on it. I rather go buy a new chair from another brand. I vote with my wallet heh.

Yeah I got it in November 2018. What chairs are u looking at as of present? I like these types that I can lean back fully

6 hours ago, SociNerd said:

Yeah I got it in November 2018. What chairs are u looking at as of present? I like these types that I can lean back fully

I know Secretlab so far is the only one that lean back so far you that you actually almost have a bed heh.. It is good for them but for gaming... there is nothing gaming about it. Swivel is fun as a normal chair goes but in game like driving, I want it to be fix and not able to rotate. So when I set up my racing wheel and pedal, I hate the swivelling motion as I step on the pedals on the floor position in front of my chair. So a racing wheel setup is not good with those chairs...if you are into driving racing. If not for lack of space I might invest in a actual racing simulation chair with framework to attach my racing control equipment.

If I get into my flying game simulation, The chair does not make a big different too. I have a Flying H.O.T.A.S system which mean I have a joystick on my side and the other is a multi button controller with a thrust lever. And if you use a rudder pedal floor unit to steer your plane's yaw, again that swivel bothers me.

SO for both this kind of gaming, I switch to a normal chair with no wheels or swivel feature.

So you are buying that gaming chair because you LIKE the look of it. But as a comfy chair for practice use, ergonomics..etc, it is a little more than okay... in an aircon room too. Which is what piss me off that in an aircon room all these years the covering still manage to disintegrate in less then a year of use.

I suspect they were only pressure to offer an exchange due to LEMON LAW in Singapore and public pressure but they made it less obvious on their website talking about this exchange for the 2018 model. It seem this affected all chair cover in that year for a certain type of chair like the OMEGA that I bought in the carbon graphic look. I have had other PVC chairs and have lasted without peeling for 5 yrs and still held-up well. Just bad QC.

I am looking at the OSIM gaming chair for it's ability to offer massage heheh tat is not a smart buy on my part but more as a pampering thingy.. I know it will not last too long.. at best 2 yrs? As moving parts and pressure weight on the rolling massagers, I know those parts will give way and I doubt there are repair for it. Also I am aware of such items given have bought massager equipment before.

Gaming chair is a nice look for those who want a racing car seat look heheh..  it really depends on what you want to do with the game and how firm it holds in place. Some games are fine with swivel, but some games like what I play it is not. And given the size of my room, this old man is put thru the hoops resetting up my room again and again when I change game.. so I will set up to play driving for a month and then reset it again with another chair and set up for flying simulation and then back to NORMAL when I play games like normal FPS or like now.. Addicted to SATISFACTORY :P  Ya I will be gaming till I die a lot more than I have sex hahahah... Once a nerd, always a nerd.

Apart from those who think they are a bulky eyesore, there are some OEM type that are just as functional but quality and some features are lacking. You get what you pay for. Walk around in Sim LIM Square you might sport a few. Or just get online to look around. My last so-called gaming chair was just a normal leather premium priced chair that last me ten years+ before I retire it when a metal part finally broke.

Watch out for all those overhype shit in the gaming chair that is starting to come out now.. RGB lighting, speakers..etc. All this are gimmicky and when spoilt is more a pain in the neck and also more wires link to your chair that you have to avoid as you get in and out of your chair... mah-fan like shit.. heheh

I like to indulge in my gaming so I know I am in a way throwing money at it but from a practical perspective and you want to make your investment last and make sense, then be more conservative to in choosing one. Also I prefer not to get those too loud color ones or some MARVEL theme type..etc all too fucking kiddie and childish or will use it till you are older beyond your teens heheh

On 2/12/2021 at 7:14 PM, upshot said:

I know Secretlab so far is the only one that lean back so far you that you actually almost have a bed heh.. It is good for them but for gaming... there is nothing gaming about it. Swivel is fun as a normal chair goes but in game like driving, I want it to be fix and not able to rotate. So when I set up my racing wheel and pedal, I hate the swivelling motion as I step on the pedals on the floor position in front of my chair. So a racing wheel setup is not good with those chairs...if you are into driving racing. If not for lack of space I might invest in a actual racing simulation chair with framework to attach my racing control equipment.

If I get into my flying game simulation, The chair does not make a big different too. I have a Flying H.O.T.A.S system which mean I have a joystick on my side and the other is a multi button controller with a thrust lever. And if you use a rudder pedal floor unit to steer your plane's yaw, again that swivel bothers me.

SO for both this kind of gaming, I switch to a normal chair with no wheels or swivel feature.

So you are buying that gaming chair because you LIKE the look of it. But as a comfy chair for practice use, ergonomics..etc, it is a little more than okay... in an aircon room too. Which is what piss me off that in an aircon room all these years the covering still manage to disintegrate in less then a year of use.

I suspect they were only pressure to offer an exchange due to LEMON LAW in Singapore and public pressure but they made it less obvious on their website talking about this exchange for the 2018 model. It seem this affected all chair cover in that year for a certain type of chair like the OMEGA that I bought in the carbon graphic look. I have had other PVC chairs and have lasted without peeling for 5 yrs and still held-up well. Just bad QC.

I am looking at the OSIM gaming chair for it's ability to offer massage heheh tat is not a smart buy on my part but more as a pampering thingy.. I know it will not last too long.. at best 2 yrs? As moving parts and pressure weight on the rolling massagers, I know those parts will give way and I doubt there are repair for it. Also I am aware of such items given have bought massager equipment before.

Gaming chair is a nice look for those who want a racing car seat look heheh..  it really depends on what you want to do with the game and how firm it holds in place. Some games are fine with swivel, but some games like what I play it is not. And given the size of my room, this old man is put thru the hoops resetting up my room again and again when I change game.. so I will set up to play driving for a month and then reset it again with another chair and set up for flying simulation and then back to NORMAL when I play games like normal FPS or like now.. Addicted to SATISFACTORY :P  Ya I will be gaming till I die a lot more than I have sex hahahah... Once a nerd, always a nerd.

Apart from those who think they are a bulky eyesore, there are some OEM type that are just as functional but quality and some features are lacking. You get what you pay for. Walk around in Sim LIM Square you might sport a few. Or just get online to look around. My last so-called gaming chair was just a normal leather premium priced chair that last me ten years+ before I retire it when a metal part finally broke.

Watch out for all those overhype shit in the gaming chair that is starting to come out now.. RGB lighting, speakers..etc. All this are gimmicky and when spoilt is more a pain in the neck and also more wires link to your chair that you have to avoid as you get in and out of your chair... mah-fan like shit.. heheh

I like to indulge in my gaming so I know I am in a way throwing money at it but from a practical perspective and you want to make your investment last and make sense, then be more conservative to in choosing one. Also I prefer not to get those too loud color ones or some MARVEL theme type..etc all too fucking kiddie and childish or will use it till you are older beyond your teens heheh

Solid reply bro hahaha. Yeah of course gaming chairs aren't exactly for gaming I mean a chair is a chair right? I just like the look of it and the fact that I can tilt it back to sleep or just chill. It's comfortable for me that's why I bought it. But yeah I might look into alternatives since the cost of this chair is too much, or I can repurpose the PVC and do some fabric work on it to salvage the chair. I had an idea to just scrape all the pvc off the part where we sit on and just fix up a fabric to cover the bare piece, but I guess that's a topic for another day when I actually really would do it haha 

22 hours ago, SociNerd said:

Solid reply bro hahaha. Yeah of course gaming chairs aren't exactly for gaming I mean a chair is a chair right? I just like the look of it and the fact that I can tilt it back to sleep or just chill. It's comfortable for me that's why I bought it. But yeah I might look into alternatives since the cost of this chair is too much, or I can repurpose the PVC and do some fabric work on it to salvage the chair. I had an idea to just scrape all the pvc off the part where we sit on and just fix up a fabric to cover the bare piece, but I guess that's a topic for another day when I actually really would do it haha 

When I am too tired from gaming or some notti play on it heheh.. I do get some good sleep on that chair base on the design of how it curve to hold you body in place from falling over. And that of all the gaming chair I have seen so far, none can lean down to almost a bed angle that is conducive for sleeping heheh. Upholstery for such a chair might be hard. I do have a memeory foam seat on it now as the peeling mess makes it abit raspy to sit on without shorts hahahah... ya I had over a week of naked gaming and other fun heheheh... hell of a CNY!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.