Male HQ

Canto-pop 2020s

detour

Is the Canto-pop scene dead, years after it lost ground to K-pop? I have always been a fan of Canto-pop and is looking for like-minded people to share their favourite Canto-pop songs and stars :) 

In the dark first month of 2021, a ray of hope has shone through – namely, a 21-year-old called 

Keung To (姜濤) who became the youngest person to win two coveted prizes, “My Favourite Male Singer” and “My Favourite Song” (蒙著嘴說愛你), at Commercial Radio’s Ultimate Song Chart Awards (叱咤樂壇流行榜頒獎典禮), along with a new generation of Canto-pop idols.

Edited by detour
spacing

從前我滿分 但今天已扣分

避不開一直寵愛你十個女生

每日要忙著與別人 去競爭

不停提防年月會變心

從前我滿分 現今只有八分

極之親密的愛侶易降溫

欣賞我欣賞我 欣賞完便沒吸引

開口埋怨這樣近

JUDE - 零分 (Released in 2020) 

Edited by detour

Thanks for your views. Who are your favourite singers? 

I think Canto-pop still has a future, it’s the fans who are stuck in the past. In response, a group of young and seasoned musicians have just released a moving ballad, The Pop Scene is Dead. The independently produced song asks: “Why are you so bitter? Looking down … abandoning this generation. I ask you not to compare. I give you this cassette player for you to listen to your good old days.”

For all the lovers out there 😘

開始 開始有心跳

開始世間煩擾 忘了

好風景不少

開始 飄飄然地飄

戀愛徵兆

在相識 頭一秒

知道自己找到了

陳卓賢 IAN CHAN 《正式開始》- Released in 2020

12 hours ago, Singroc said:

Canto pops that I like are from the late 80s, 90s to early 2000 era.

The scene is now dead I think.

Those are the best canto-pop years, nowadays they sound so generic, voices and tunes sound similar.

... journey through my fractured mind,

a fragment at a time...

20 hours ago, detour said:

Thanks for your views. Who are your favourite singers? 

I think Canto-pop still has a future, it’s the fans who are stuck in the past. In response, a group of young and seasoned musicians have just released a moving ballad, The Pop Scene is Dead. The independently produced song asks: “Why are you so bitter? Looking down … abandoning this generation. I ask you not to compare. I give you this cassette player for you to listen to your good old days.”

Jacky Cheung is my all time favourite

7 hours ago, Singroc said:

Jacky Cheung is my all time favourite

He is a legend and most of all, a very humble superstar! He has too many classics and "離開以後" (released in 1995) was one of my favourites I could think of off the top of my head. 

15 hours ago, poet said:

Those are the best canto-pop years, nowadays they sound so generic, voices and tunes sound similar.

Similarly, this sounds like K-pop to me too hahaha :) Well, there are more to Canto-pop than just love ballads. Perhaps you can check out RubberBand and Dear Jane (two most popular bands in HK now). 

RubberBand - 未來見 (Released in 2018) 

Dear Jane - 2084* (Released in 2019) 

*A modern song with the 80s vibe

19 hours ago, detour said:

He is a legend and most of all, a very humble superstar! He has too many classics and "離開以後" (released in 1995) was one of my favourites I could think of off the top of my head. 

Yes love this song.

But not easy to sing...

The father of Cantopop was the composer Joseph Koo. Among the first group of popular singers was Alan Tam, Sam Hui, Roman Tam and the young, cute and gay Danny Chan who was to die allegedly from a drug overdose taken when he was just 33. Others included Michael Kwan and Liza Wang.

Then emerged the four Cantopop “kings” - the openly gay Leslie Cheung who came out during a performance at the Hong Kong Coliseum when his costumes were designed by John-Paul Gaultier, Jackie Cheung, Aaron Kwok and Andy Lau. They were  joined at almost the same time by the late great Anita Muti who sang at the opening of The Suntec Convention Centre and artists like Leon Lai.

Leslie’s very public suicide aged just 46 followed months later by Anita Muti’s death from cancer brought true Cantopop virtually to a close. As @Singroc pointed out earlier, a golden era died with them.

Both Danny Chan and Leslie were known to be suffering from depression. I still think Danny Chan at his best had the finest voice and could deliver ballads and songs as well as any other Cantopop artist

Edited by InBangkok

7 hours ago, Singroc said:

Yes love this song.

But not easy to sing...

Wow, a crooner in the house 😘

His live performance during Joey Yung's 2019 concert was awesome! Well, nothing surprising since he is the god of songs. 

5 hours ago, InBangkok said:

The father of Cantopop was the composer Joseph Koo. Among the first group of popular singers was Alan Tam, Sam Hui, Roman Tam and the young, cute and gay Danny Chan who was to die allegedly from a drug overdose taken when he was just 33. Others included Michael Kwan and Liza Wang.

Then emerged the four Cantopop “kings” - the openly gay Leslie Cheung who came out during a performance at the Hong Kong Coliseum when his costumes were designed by John-Paul Gaultier, Jackie Cheung, Aaron Kwok and Andy Lau. They were  joined at almost the same time by the late great Anita Muti who sang at the opening of The Suntec Convention Centre and artists like Leon Lai.

Leslie’s very public suicide aged just 46 followed months later by Anita Muti’s death from cancer brought true Cantopop virtually to a close. As @Singroc pointed out earlier, a golden era died with them.

Both Danny Chan and Leslie were known to be suffering from depression. I still think Danny Chan at his best had the finest voice and could deliver ballads and songs as well as any other Cantopop artist

Thanks for giving a concise history of the rise and fall of Canto-pop. Besides the few names mentioned, they are still many great artistes and superstars who emerged from HK:

Sandy Lam

Sally Yeh

Cass Phang

Faye Wong 

Sammi Cheng

Kelly Chen

Miriam Yeung  

Joey Yung

Eason Chan

Beyond

Leo Ku

Hins Cheung

Hacken Lee

and so on...

10 minutes ago, detour said:

Wow, a crooner in the house 😘

His live performance during Joey Yung's 2019 concert was awesome! Well, nothing surprising since he is the god of songs. 

Haha, how u know I croon at home?

Omg, this 这么近、那么远even harder to sing.

HK-born singer-songwriter, Jay Fung (below), has to be one of my favourite singers from recent years. He grew up in Canada and returned to HK to take part in singing competition The Voice 3 (2011), eventually emerging in second place.  

Image result for jay fung

32 minutes ago, detour said:

Thanks for giving a concise history of the rise and fall of Canto-pop. Besides the few names mentioned, they are still many great artistes and superstars who emerged from HK:

Sandy Lam

Sally Yeh

Cass Phang

Faye Wong 

Sammi Cheng

Kelly Chen

Miriam Yeung  

Joey Yung

Eason Chan

Beyond

Leo Ku

Hins Cheung

Hacken Lee

and so on...

Not getting 黃耀明 & 關淑怡 too,

taken from《婚內情》, a 2019 ViuTV series...

I always like their collaborations, like this one here from eons ago...

13 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Not getting 黃耀明 & 關淑怡 too,

taken from《婚內情》, a 2019 ViuTV series...

I always like their collaborations, like this one here from eons ago...

Thanks for the great music! Synthpop and electronic - very 'Anthony Wong style'.

By the way, was the drama good?  

4 minutes ago, Singroc said:

Don’t think that terrible lah.

Do u also like to sing?

Used to go to Karaoke quite often. But definitely not the craziest fan. It gets a bit boring for me after a while hahaha. So, which song is your 飲歌? 

Love the lyrics by 林夕:

進食也會恐懼 饒恕口腹有罪(驚恐症為何自取)

肚餓也更恐懼 為了三餐 一世畏懼

被迫或堅決要做更好的人 創造期望所以自製恐懼

其實怕失望是誰 還是害怕被讚許

許廷鏗 - 《慌》Released in 2020

2020年,莫文蔚推出粵語單曲〈呼吸有害〉,大受樂迷歡迎,成為2020年首支《四台冠軍歌曲》;亦是全港首支五台冠軍歌[7],並於不同的音樂串流平台勇奪多個星期冠軍。翌年先後於2020年度叱咤樂壇流行榜頒獎典禮第四十三屆十大中文金曲2020年度勁歌金曲頒獎典禮中分別勇奪「叱咤樂壇至尊歌曲大獎」、「全球華人至尊金曲獎」及「勁歌金曲金獎」,三個獎項皆為該頒獎禮內歌曲獎的最高榮譽;亦是該年度唯一四台歌曲獎大滿貫的單曲作品。

On 2/8/2021 at 6:58 PM, detour said:

Sandy Lam

Sally Yeh

Cass Phang

Faye Wong 

Sammi Cheng

Kelly Chen

Miriam Yeung  

Joey Yung

Eason Chan

Beyond

Leo Ku

Hins Cheung

Hacken Lee

and so on...

these merely followed the already established golden era of cantopop and extended the period a little while more... none of them were able to revive or make another peak of the cantopop industry.

i followed loosely in sally yeh and faye wong cantopop releases for a while, the rest not my cup of tea at all.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:40 PM, InBangkok said:

Both Danny Chan and Leslie were known to be suffering from depression. I still think Danny Chan at his best had the finest voice and could deliver ballads and songs as well as any other Cantopop artist.

i would say joseph koo, and sam hui jumped started the cantopop industry...

joseph koo with his tv drama theme songs, and sam hui, together with his brothers, launched cantopop movies theme songs...

many switched from listening to mando oldies, and english folks songs to cantopop when joseph koo's [啼笑因缘] sang by 仙杜拉 captivated many many HK everyday people. followed by the truely great 罗文,甄妮,郑少秋,汪明荃. and some others like 关正杰,关菊英 etc etc

many artistes also switched from singing english cover songs to cantopop like 林子祥, 叶丽仪,叶振棠,陈洁灵 ect etc, and band like wynners...

by the 80s, young artistes sprouted forth, 陈慧娴, 林志美,林亿莲,吕方,关淑怡 and many from singing competitions.

of course the scene were dominated by 谭咏麟,張国荣,梅艳芳.

in the 90s, the 4 heavenly kings ruled, with female artistes like sally yeh and faye wong... however, they and other artistes began to diverse into mando pop as well with the set up of prominent record companies like ROCK and UFO in taiwan.

by 2000s, cantopop were able to hold its glory for a bit more longer but artistes now were not able to peak it further bacause many were already singing mando pop.

now, 2020s...

i would say CANTOPOP IS DEAD!

2 hours ago, mith said:

i would say joseph koo, and sam hui jumped started the cantopop industry...

joseph koo with his tv drama theme songs, and sam hui, together with his brothers, launched cantopop movies theme songs...

many switched from listening to mando oldies, and english folks songs to cantopop when joseph koo's [啼笑因缘] sang by 仙杜拉 captivated many many HK everyday people. followed by the truely great 罗文,甄妮,郑少秋,汪明荃. and some others like 关正杰,关菊英 etc etc

many artistes also switched from singing english cover songs to cantopop like 林子祥, 叶丽仪,叶振棠,陈洁灵 ect etc, and band like wynners...

by the 80s, young artistes sprouted forth, 陈慧娴, 林志美,林亿莲,吕方,关淑怡 and many from singing competitions.

of course the scene were dominated by 谭咏麟,張国荣,梅艳芳.

in the 90s, the 4 heavenly kings ruled, with female artistes like sally yeh and faye wong... however, they and other artistes began to diverse into mando pop as well with the set up of prominent record companies like ROCK and UFO in taiwan.

by 2000s, cantopop were able to hold its glory for a bit more longer but artistes now were not able to peak it further bacause many were already singing mando pop.

now, 2020s...

i would say CANTOPOP IS DEAD!

Very much agree with your view.

As to the 2 female singers sally yeh and Faye Wong that dominated the 90s era, do u think Sandy Lam is able to join them?

7 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

@mith Who would you regard as the greatest of all the Cantopop singers? Is there any one that stands above the others?

no one can outshine the other in the late 60s, 70s and 80s... each style is very distinguishable and unique.

i can tell you my favorite... 葉德嫻, 甄妮, 汪明荃, 羅文, 鄭少秋... 

2 minutes ago, Singroc said:

Very much agree with your view.

As to the 2 female singers sally yeh and Faye Wong that dominated the 90s era, do u think Sandy Lam is able to join them?

no.

in the 90s, sandy shifted to mandopop and made her fame there... for cantopop in the 90s, sandy cannot be in their league.

4 minutes ago, mith said:

no.

in the 90s, sandy shifted to mandopop and made her fame there... for cantopop in the 90s, sandy cannot be in their league.

Yah now that u mentioned, yes, she indeed moved into mando pop.

I was thinking more from the popularity point of view, which she indeed can compete with the other 2.

1 minute ago, Singroc said:

Yah now that u mentioned, yes, she indeed moved into mando pop.

I was thinking more from the popularity point of view, which she indeed can compete with the other 2.

yes, sandy goes international then.

Amongst all my idols (including Faye Wong), Sandy will always be my no. 1. This was a very good article https://asianpopweekly.com/features/profiles/profiles-2-sandy-lam-林憶蓮-from-zero-to-infinity/ written about her as one of the key forces and defining figures of Mandopop and Cantopop. 

If I have to rank Sandy, Faye and Sally in terms of popularity and status:

Popularity:

1. Faye

2. Sandy

3. Sally

1. Faye and Sandy 

3. Sally

On 2/12/2021 at 7:31 AM, mith said:

many switched from listening to mando oldies, and english folks songs to cantopop when joseph koo's [啼笑因缘] sang by 仙杜拉 captivated many many HK everyday people. 

Radio DJ turned lyricist Wyman Wong (黄伟文) is quite talented too, I like his take on [啼笑因缘] the classic novel, nothing to do with the series theme song written by 顾嘉煇...

從不怕什麼將人人分開 只怕什麼將靈魂撕開

遍地找祝福 就算遍地塵埃 有一些唏噓不算哀

遺失了自己可能還悲哀 安慰自己生命能變改 Woo~

要繼續錯蕩在人海 還靠什麼找到愛