Male HQ

Survival Skills in dealing with Office Politics - 办公室的金枝玉孽

fyongwee83

What are some of the advices you have?

Care to share...

1. Stay Low Profile when needed.

2. Observe environment

3. Do not need to speak truth all the times.

4. Never be close to colleagues

5. Always make your direct superior looks good 

A podcast to hear to gain some ideas: 

https://anchor.fm/wintersun2021/episodes/Episode-8---Office-politics---et0l7o 

Just now, Helloworld said:

I totally like your Podcast 🙂  It resonates with me, especially the part where you cannot be truthful to Management portion.

Really feel conflicted, but lucky I left my previous toxic company.

IMG-20210320-WA0000.jpg

Thanks a lot. Yes, the management claims whatever you share is confidential is actually not true. In workplace, there is no such thing call confidentiality. 

There are two rules I ALWAYS stick to when it involves work and I do not break them.

1) Never Eat and SHIT in the same place. (You value your career and work reputation, never break this)

2) A line must be drawn between friendship and work person.

*And by some chance I got this video in my youtube recommendation recently which align well with what I do for pointer #2  Link:

I took a further look at her youtube channel and found tons of great tips you can learn to use or zoom in on situations that might help those who encounter such circumstances.

The higher you work or want to work, the more self-imposed discipline comes into play. Want to be a jolly happy 'devil-may-care', the joker or the cool laid back guy or the flapping bitch with loose lip, your career is not going to anywhere... you will stay a bottom feeder and be a useful idiot. People only pay you money or fulfil your ambition if you can work and play your part well. Friendship in office it NOT the SAME as outside friendship. Learn to tell the difference and office politics can be kept to a minimum. Sorry, you can't avoid it all but at least you kill the low level white noise politics around the water cooler. And only have to deal with more sophisticated management level politics and protocol.

This is no difference than in ancient time of warriors. Instead of swords and killing someone, the warfare or way to being the best or leader TODAY are still base on the same fundamentals. It has not got better.. just seem more civil. No one is advocating you be a greedy bastard, bully and malicious in how you climb. That is your choice. There will always be people like that at every level. Even a group of toilet cleaners are not spared from all this political shit.

Devils do not start as full time devils BY MAGIC. They start as noobies too. So same level colleagues starting  at the lowest level today, can be your competitor as opportunities for higher post comes up arise in the future. So watch what you share in the office. Like one of my hard driving boss taught me. TRUST BUT VERIFY. 

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

5 hours ago, upshot said:

There are two rules I ALWAYS stick to when it involves work and I do not break them.

1) Never Eat and SHIT in the same place. (You value your career and work reputation, never break this)

2) A line must be drawn between friendship and work person.

*And by some chance I got this video in my youtube recommendation recently which align well with what I do for pointer #2  Link:

I took a further look at her youtube channel and found tons of great tips you can learn to use or zoom in on situations that might help those who encounter such circumstances.

The higher you work or want to work, the more self-imposed discipline comes into play. Want to be a jolly happy 'devil-may-care', the joker or the cool laid back guy or the flapping bitch with loose lip, your career is not going to anywhere... you will stay a bottom feeder and be a useful idiot. People only pay you money or fulfil your ambition if you can work and play your part well. Friendship in office it NOT the SAME as outside friendship. Learn to tell the difference and office politics can be kept to a minimum. Sorry, you can't avoid it all but at least you kill the low level white noise politics around the water cooler. And only have to deal with more sophisticated management level politics and protocol.

This is no difference than in ancient time of warriors. Instead of swords and killing someone, the warfare or way to being the best or leader TODAY are still base on the same fundamentals. It has not got better.. just seem more civil. No one is advocating you be a greedy bastard, bully and malicious in how you climb. That is your choice. There will always be people like that at every level. Even a group of toilet cleaners are not spared from all this political shit.

Devils do not start as full time devils BY MAGIC. They start as noobies too. So same level colleagues starting  at the lowest level today, can be your competitor as opportunities for higher post comes up arise in the future. So watch what you share in the office. Like one of my hard driving boss taught me. TRUST BUT VERIFY. 

Hey Thanks a lot for sharing.

Hope u like my podcast also :)

https://anchor.fm/wintersun2021/episodes/Episode-8---Office-politics---et0l7o