Male HQ

Petrol Discussion: Shell V Power/ Caltex 98-techron Worth?

oralb

Shell V-Power and Caltex 98-techron are considered the premium petrol available. 

Both claimed to increase fuel efficiency and performance by having addictive helping to clean the engine.

What's your experience on them?

Is it advisable to pump a full tank once in a while just to clean the engine, or is everything a marketing ploy?

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Guest guest

Maybe it is just a gimmick from these petrol companies? However you might want to try these petrol if you have a deep pocket and driving some high performance car?!

I personally pump ron98 on my MX-5 because it's a high compression engine and the owner's handbook recommends ron98. I usually go to Esso because I have one within walking distance from where I live. For my W212 I usually put in ron95 - the car states that it needs a minimum of ron91 so I put in ron95 since the difference between ron92 and ron95 is 3 or 4 cents a liter.

That said, I usually put in Caltex's Techron Concentrate Plus (TCP) just before I send the cars in for servicing so as to clean any built-up carbon/gunk out of the engine. Been using TCP for years across the many cars I've owned, and it seems to work pretty well across a wide spectrum of cars. It's a bit pricey at around $25 per bottle so I used to buy it from the Caltex across the border when it was still open haha it was only MYR30 there iirc! However if you've been pumping Caltex's ron98 then apparently the TCP isn't really needed anymore.

If you're driving a car with a naturally aspirated engine, most of the time ron95 will do! Can also consider incorporating the TCP routine like I do to keep your engine running smooth. :) 

Guest Save money

Most of the cars can run well enough on 95. If you have extra cash to burn then go for 98 or vpower. I don’t notice significant difference in performance and mileage when I pump vpower. For some cars, they need that kind of petrol to prevent engine from knocking. So it is not a choice for them. 

I have heard many people telling me to pump vpower once a month to clean up the engine as it has additional chemicals. For me, more important to go for regular maintenance.

Guest Guest

Last time pre covid, I go JB to top up Caltex 97 (no 98 there). It gives the best fuel mileage of them all, even better than Shell V power. 

Then after covid, I have no choice but to go for Shell V power, but I subsequently switched to Sinopec X power which seems to perform as well as Shell V power and cheaper. 

But one thing I noticed: you can only see the difference after you top up the second tank with the same fuel after you finished up the first. I don't know why. I think maybe the first tank needs to flush out the residue of the previous fuel before the performance of second tank can be shown. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.