Male HQ

Do you think that the ability to speak English is essential?

Guest Belize

Guest Monkey See

Not many countries can speak proper English. You will be surprised some Japanese cannot speak them and so are other Europeans.  Can they survive?  Yes, they did survive and also thriving. 

3 hours ago, Guest Belize said:

It is essential if you travel to other countries.  And you don't need to speak it perfectly, nor do they need to speak it perfectly at the country you visit.

If a Malay Singaporean visits China,  won't he be speaking in English there,  even if neither speaks it perfectly?

If a S. Korean, a Japanese visits Singapore,  what language will he be speaking if it is not English?

Guest Singlish the Best
55 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

If a S. Korean, a Japanese visits Singapore,  what language will he be speaking if it is not English?

They should try to learn Singlish.  It is a "MUST" language due to its efficiency and simplicity. 

Guest Hearsay

I heard that you only need to know 2 english words only to become successful. That are 'Yes' and 'No'. We can achieve alot of things saying these 2 words only. 

Guest Guest
31 minutes ago, Guest Hearsay said:

I heard that you only need to know 2 english words only to become successful. That are 'Yes' and 'No'. We can achieve alot of things saying these 2 words only. 

Agree. Other than that, you also need to be fluent in Hindi ... mind you, not Tamil, but Hindi in Singapore. Otherwise, you may not be eligible for jobs.

https://theindependent.sg/netizens-up-in-arms-after-tesla-sg-looks-to-hire-logistics-analyst-who-must-be-fluent-in-hindi/ 

Guest Guest Curious
2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

It is essential if you travel to other countries.  And you don't need to speak it perfectly, nor do they need to speak it perfectly at the country you visit.

If a Malay Singaporean visits China,  won't he be speaking in English there,  even if neither speaks it perfectly?

SInce your travelling is limited to sex tourism where speaking is not all that essential, you get your facts wrong again. No traveller needs to speak English. You think a Malay Singaporean visiting China can communicate with the Chinese in English? How often have you been to China recently? Certainly more and more kids are learning English in school and many professionals speak some English. You may find some English spoken in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. How about Qingdao or Kunming? To expect 1.4 billion Chinese to speak some English is really rather laughable.

You think South Koreans and Japanese visiting provincial France can communicate in English? How often have you been to those countries? How about Chinese on tour groups visiting much of Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain or wherever? They will be able to communicate in English? An ability to speak a little English sometimes helps depending on the country you are visiting. It is by no means "essential".

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, Guest Hearsay said:

Actually if you are wearing white, your vocabulary can be even further reduced to just one word "Yes", and you can become successful beyond measure! 

10 hours ago, Guest Guest Curious said:

SInce your travelling is limited to sex tourism where speaking is not all that essential, you get your facts wrong again. No traveller needs to speak English. You think a Malay Singaporean visiting China can communicate with the Chinese in English? How often have you been to China recently? Certainly more and more kids are learning English in school and many professionals speak some English. You may find some English spoken in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. How about Qingdao or Kunming? To expect 1.4 billion Chinese to speak some English is really rather laughable.

I worked for an international company in the oil industry and I traveled throughout the world before my "sex tourism".  I know quite well that English is the common language in business and tourism.   I have worked with Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Arabs, French, just to mention a few, and we all spoke... English.

Unless a Malay knows Mandarin when he travels to China,  he will communicate in English.  And unless a Chinese knows Malay when he travels to Malaysia, he will speak English.   Of course not everyone in Asia speaks English,  but why do you think most Asian countries are now making their kids learn English?

Guest Guest Curious
17 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I worked for an international company in the oil industry and I traveled throughout the world before my "sex tourism".  I know quite well that English is the common language in business and tourism.   I have worked with Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Arabs, French, just to mention a few, and we all spoke... English.

Unless a Malay knows Mandarin when he travels to China,  he will communicate in English.  And unless a Chinese knows Malay when he travels to Malaysia, he will speak English.   Of course not everyone in Asia speaks English,  but why do you think most Asian countries are now making their kids learn English?

Oh so predictable - and typical. You do not answer points made by others, you twist them to fit your theory. Did you work with Indians in India, Chinese in China, Japanese in Japan, Arabs somewhere in what we know as Arabia, French in France and others that you do not mention? Since you worked with those you do mention, clearly they did business with your company. You made a generalisation and now you twist it to a particular. That does not respond accurately to my point. 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Curious said:

Oh so predictable - and typical. You do not answer points made by others, you twist them to fit your theory. Did you work with Indians in India, Chinese in China, Japanese in Japan, Arabs somewhere in what we know as Arabia, French in France and others that you do not mention? Since you worked with those you do mention, clearly they did business with your company. You made a generalisation and now you twist it to a particular. That does not respond accurately to my point. 

I like to be predictable,  predictably right.  I visited all the countries of the foreigners I talked about, except China.  Of China I only know Hong Kong and Taiwan. Many people there speak English, of course.  And if I don't respond accurately to your points,  what obligations I have to do so?

Guest Guest Curious
41 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I like to be predictable,  predictably right.  I visited all the countries of the foreigners I talked about, except China.  Of China I only know Hong Kong and Taiwan. Many people there speak English, of course.  And if I don't respond accurately to your points,  what obligations I have to do so?

11 minutes ago, MNH said:

Just had an experience with a grab driver who does't understand english at all. Like left and right. Turns out hes a PRC. Dang. They should at least learn sone basic english lehhhh!

QED!! My point proved.

English is one of the 6 languages recognized as official in the UN and the International Court. The vast  British empire had contributed to the spread of English in its colonies. The adaptability to local cultures and the fluidity of the language have advanced it to international status. The former premier Lee Kuan Yew was convinced of its importance and as an effective tool of communication in major areas.

Being able to speak English is so important. It's the language that can glue different culture and nationality together.

And if one live or work in Singapore, I would expect one to be able to speak their mother tongue and English fluently. 

Singlish is something I strive to avoid using unless its an especially informal conversation. 

On 4/1/2021 at 5:21 AM, Guest Belize said:

YES YES YES. :P Even if you can not attain it to the level of intellectuals. It is still as important as a universal form of communication.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

2 hours ago, FlippantMount said:

Being able to speak English is so important. It's the language that can glue different culture and nationality together.

And if one live or work in Singapore, I would expect one to be able to speak their mother tongue and English fluently. 

Singlish is something I strive to avoid using unless its an especially informal conversation. 

Every child everywhere on this planet should be educated in the native language and...  English.

Since the old plan of promoting Esperanto failed miserably,  English is the de facto common language today.  And it is a good choice.  English is not too difficult to learn to read, write and even speak.  Spanish is even easier, it is nearly as common,  but English won.  

I doubt that the Asian languages that use symbols in their writing, the languages that use many subtle intonations, will ever gain universal acceptance, regardless of how many speak them as their native language. 

I would nave never made it so far had I not learned English in addition to my native languages.

As for singlish,  ha ha,  I find it the cutest, especially spoken by some young Asian gays,  but it is too regional to being taken seriously. :) 

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Guest Curious
6 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

English is the de facto common language today.  And it is a good choice.  English is not too difficult to learn to read, write and even speak.

Oh really? Funny order. I'll take a bet that most who learn English first listen to it, then speak it, then write and eventually read. But it's also funny because there are many peoples who find English difficult even to speak. Ever tried to explain idioms to Nepali citizens or French-speaking peoples of Africa? Even French people living in France!

You also forget about Chinese - or rather dismiss it out of hand as being too difficult for non Chinese ever to "gain acceptance". You forget that Chinese is now the second language taught in many dozens of countries around the world. China is the world's second largest economy and will quite soon become the most powerful country in the world. The Belt and Road Initiative is taking the Chinese language to a vast number of countries.

Robert Davis, the director of the Chinese-language programme in Chicago's public school system, has said that Chinese is the new English. But then forgetful ageing sex tourists have too much dick on their minds to spend any time working out the tones required to speak Mandarin Chinese. 

On 4/3/2021 at 1:31 AM, JyT said:

Do u know when u migrate to other country you need take English test IELT Inorder meet there requirement ? 

What is the country of destinaton? IELTS is a test on the competence in English for immigrants into UK and commonwealth countries like Canada, Australia & New Zealand. Check for more detailed info with relevant academic instituition or the embassy.

Guest sgman

Throughout my travels (N&S America, Europe, Asia), I have not spoken a word of Chinese outside of China/Taiwan/Malaysia.

The other time Chinese is useful is for reading the characters in Japan, otherwise maybe in various Chinatowns.

Basically English is the default language ( for now??

Guest Engrish

Speak good English... 

I see some Thailand, Filipino or even Vietnam or Hong Kong.. 

Their English so American kind. Got the accent and all. 

Then I see Singapore engrish. 

Face palm. 

Yes speak good English important. American English the most important.

If cannot, do the Indian English accent also better than singrish. 

Really cmi

Guest Perhaps

Let's look at language as a tool. The more books and resources written in a particular language would mean that the user could gain more knowledge using the particular language. It enable discussion and brainstorming using the language. 

In countries where people are interested in learning. They would translate books and media for learning. Japanese, Chinese, and Korean translate a lot of books and further elaborate in future publication. 

We see people learning Korean, Japanese and Chinese to enjoy the media or culture. Similarly many of us learn English to enjoy the English media. 

Some languages focus a lot on teachings of religions. Hence people who are interested in the particular religion might find it useful to learn the language.

The more variety and genre of media produced in a certain language will make it more popular than those without. 

Is it essential to learn english? Yes for science, technology,maths software,film, art, law etc. 

Guest Tea Pot
On 4/1/2021 at 5:21 AM, Guest Belize said:

It was like asking whether it is essential to put sugar in Tea.

Guest Chinese
3 hours ago, yuquidam said:

In Singapore, YES. 

No lo. Everywhere I go. 

Colleagues. Kopitiam. Taxi driver.

All want to speak Chinese with me. 

Beyonce visited Singapore once and she said something like Singaporean English is so weird. 

She can't understand. 

In Singapore, yes. Students are builled when they can't speak write or speak good English. Test paper/Reports/Projects are written in English (Except PSLE/O level/ chinese literature). Jobs interview are mainly conducted in English. 

I respect either opinion. However, life get easier when you speak fluent English 

Guest Local
9 minutes ago, milky_boi said:

In Singapore, yes. Students are builled when they can't speak write or speak good English. Test paper/Reports/Projects are written in English (Except PSLE/O level/ chinese literature). Jobs interview are mainly conducted in English. 

I respect either opinion. However, life get easier when you speak fluent English 

If you speak American accent, kena accused as fake. 

But you adapt to local broken English. 

Very cringe. 

2 hours ago, milky_boi said:

Agree. Especially in Singapore's education and work environments. 

On 4/7/2021 at 2:55 PM, milky_boi said:

I think it doesn't matter that you speak a specific language and be fluent about it. As long you have your heart and mind, you'll get the job and  get it done.

On 4/9/2021 at 11:01 AM, Guest Mona said:

I think it doesn't matter that you speak a specific language and be fluent about it. As long you have your heart and mind, you'll get the job and  get it done.

If you have your heart and mind,  YOU SHOULD be able to learn good English.  Unless you are, lazy, undisciplined or dumb.

20 minutes ago, begleitung said:

Lol. 

touche!!

Actually there is a more powerful English word, with fewer letters, that is "NO".

So many insecure and shy gays miss the ability to utter a good, firm "NO".   Hopefully they can remedy this ASAP.

Guest Guest Curious
4 hours ago, begleitung said:

U did not get wht he was trying to say 

This is so typical of that poster. He loved to twist replies to what he thinks a poster should have made, not what he did make. Pay no attention.

Guest Master English

It's important in today's globalised world. 

In the past you can still get by... By just knowing your own native language. 

But everything is a global stage now. 

Business. Travel. Education. Even the pandemic. If affects all of us. 

If you can't master English, you can't survive. 

Guest what's wrong?

What surprises me the most is, 70% of Singaporeans are not able to speak some decent English.

Why do schools here focus so little on teaching the kids some good English?

All these grammar mistakes.

I understand for someone who dropped out of secondary school, but you still find people from universities who can't speak proper or decent English.

For Singapore I guess there is no other choice. Would damage more than improve if the schools switched to teach good Mandarin or if the lingua franca would be Mandarin.

To play a role in the global world, I guess for Singapore English is the way.

But the schools should aim to instill better English or kids leaving school speaking a decent English.

Singlish to me seems nothing other than Mandarin translated one to one into English.

Not have.

Can not.

I guess too many generations have been wasted on the way for not having taken up a decent English.

Are English teachers too bad?

In a country where English is so common, just wonder that levels are not getting better.

Guest kaypoh
54 minutes ago, Guest what's wrong? said:

What surprises me the most is, 70% of Singaporeans are not able to speak some decent English.

Why do schools here focus so little on teaching the kids some good English?

My guess is you are one of the 70%?

14 hours ago, Guest Guest Curious said:

This is so typical of that poster. He loved to twist replies to what he thinks a poster should have made, not what he did make. Pay no attention.

But it can be much worse.  It can be a Guest who instead of clarifying for the poster what he didn't understand, takes the opportunity to bash him.   That's CHEAP!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.