Male HQ

Higher fines, more jail time for illegal street racers under proposed changes to law

singalion

Higher fines, more jail time for illegal street racers under proposed changes to law

Straits Times  5 April 2021

SINGAPORE - Speedsters, and those prone to road rage beware.

Those who promote or take part in illegal street races will face heftier fines and double the mandatory jail time should proposed amendments to the Road Traffic Act be passed into law.

The courts will also be given more leeway to disqualify motorists from driving if they are convicted in road rage cases.

These were among a slew of changes to the Road Traffic Act that were tabled in Parliament on Monday (April 5) to improve road safety here, following a spike in illegal racing cases last year.

Under the proposed amendments, the maximum penalties for street racing offences will be increased so that they are aligned with the punishment for dangerous driving.

The proposed amendments come in the wake of the fatal high-speed car crash in Tanjong Pagar in February that killed five men, and an increase in the number of people caught for illegal racing.

Last year, the Traffic Police nabbed at least 26 people involved in illegal street races, compared with a combined total of 17 people charged with this offence in the five years prior.

Guest Blase

2 weekends ago, I was at orchard Road Tangs bus stop. A group of around 30 sports car sped past, revving their engines at bystanders at the bus stop.

Nothing ever changes.

13 hours ago, Guest Blase said:

2 weekends ago, I was at orchard Road Tangs bus stop. A group of around 30 sports car sped past, revving their engines at bystanders at the bus stop.

Nothing ever changes.

Look up at the sky n pray there n then so that those bastards will be taught a lesson soon. Many immoral parents nowadays who encouraging bastard attitude children. Don't worry. Nowadays it doesn't take long for karma to strike. 

14 hours ago, Guest Blase said:

Nothing ever changes.

Maybe they are not locals, many rich foreign business men bought luxury houses in SG, rich chinamen and their spoilt kids!

3 minutes ago, gstringuy26 said:

Maybe they are not locals, many rich foreign business men bought luxury houses in SG, rich chinamen and their spoilt kids!

Don't know since when China man become rich? Should ask Donald trump for the answer. He knows their history.

2 minutes ago, cutejack said:

Don't know since when China man become rich? Should ask Donald trump for the answer. He knows their history.

Come out's one's in a while in the news, but those are super rich who bought houses around Orchard road area! 

And there are many more who came here to scoop up condos ! 

Guest Blase

If you go to suntec city all their cars are parked there outside the restaurants and office blocks during week days even.

Maybe they all work there or like to dine in that area.

When comes weekend, their engines can be heard revving all around orchard, suntec, Clark Quay, Chinatown areas.

Hm, was not my intention to start a new thread. I posted this under the Tanjong Pagar crash thread, in particular as the Straits Times explicitly mentioned

the Tanjong Pagar car crash accident in the article...

🤔

Edited by singalion

8 hours ago, gstringuy26 said:

Most culprits caught on speeding or showing off their cars are locals.

There was just this one event from the Chinese Ferrari driving guy some time ago who crashed into the taxi and the Japanese passenger lady died. That was in 2012.

Another one was this Romanian Diplomat in 2009 but I think the reason was drink driving and was a hit and run thing.

Speeding is in fact Singapore’s number one traffic offence. Between 2018 and last year, there were 2,212 speeding-related accidents that led to injuries or deaths. In the most recent high-profile case, in Tanjong Pagar last month, five men died.

As of 2013, an estimated 42 per cent of Singapore households owned a car.

The per-capita car ownership rate in Singapore is approximately 12 cars per 100 people (or 1 car per 8.25 people).

The amount of locals driving cars in Singapore should be much higher than Foreigners driving a car.

I don't think this "the foreigner is the bad guy" vs the "local is the good guy" doesn't work for cars.

Don't assume from single incidents that all culprits are Foreigners.

If you read the news and media reporting it seemed more that spoilt local "kids" engaged into speeding and road racing.

Edited by singalion

Guest Guest
7 minutes ago, singalion said:

Most culprits caught on speeding or showing off their cars are locals.

There was just this one event from the Chinese Ferrari driving guy some time ago who crashed into the taxi and the Japanese passenger lady died. That was in 2012.

Another one was this Romanian Diplomat in 2009 but I think the reason was drink driving and was a hit and run thing.

Speeding is in fact Singapore’s number one traffic offence. Between 2018 and last year, there were 2,212 speeding-related accidents that led to injuries or deaths. In the most recent high-profile case, in Tanjong Pagar last month, five men died.

As of 2013, an estimated 42 per cent of Singapore households owned a car.

The per-capita car ownership rate in Singapore is approximately 12 cars per 100 people (or 1 car per 8.25 people).

The amount of locals driving cars in Singapore should be much higher than Foreigners driving a car.

I don't think this "the foreigner is the bad guy" vs the "local is the good guy" doesn't work for cars.

Don't assume from single incidents that all culprits are Foreigners.

If you read the news and media reporting it seemed more that spoilt local "kids" engaged into speeding and road racing.

Spoken like the foreign trash you rightly are!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.