Male HQ

Company Old Laptop

Guest Laptop

Guest Laptop

Is it good to buy company old laptop lenovo X250? Purchased in 2016. No operating software. I think it should be fine cause I have one from old laptop. Price around 100. But dont have hard disk or ram information. I think should be quite standard i think. If i buy refurbished one from shoppee is ard 200 to 300 plus. 

Should I buy old laptop from company or refurbished one from shoppee. Main usage is to use for simple canva design, words and data entry. 

The Lenovo X250 is a good ultraportable, no more than 5 years old.  Most have Intel Core I5, 8GB RAM,  SSD.   Why does this one not have software?  How can you know if it still works?   But if you know this,  SG$ 100 is a good price.  A good travel laptop.  But to use at home, you are probably better off with a mainframe and large, large monitor.

12 hours ago, Guest Laptop said:

Is it good to buy company old laptop lenovo X250? Purchased in 2016.

It's fine for general utility and nothing too demanding. So long you look at it as a notebook and expectation are along those line... it will never be as efficient to it's PC counterpart. If you are not aware, to make components compact to fit into a smaller footprint, it has to compromise on performance and longevity. Something to keep in mind. I am not sure how savvy you are with computers so, I go the long route.  Skip anything if you are already aware.

No operating software. I think it should be fine because I have one from old laptop.

When you say your old laptop. Do you mean a laptop you bought that comes with installed OS Windows? If so, that's an OEM copy of Windows. It will not work when you try to copy and install to this notebook you're getting nor will it work on other PC or notebook. OEM is for only ONE installing in ONE computer. It will digitally identify with that one laptop it came in.

So long it is the same laptop it will work and re-install fine. But when you try to install in another computer, goes online, it will detect the different components in the notebook is not registered to the OS CD-key previously. It will notify you and refuse to let you use it longer 30 days. That 30 days is for you to go BUY ANOTHER LICENCE Key to use it. This happen as installation require you be online to register by linking up with Microsoft to verify if your Windows copy is pirated or not. UNLESS you have some pirated way to circumvent the verification process. A new OEM version for a one time use is about $150 (est) at Sim Lim Sq. Only a RETAIL VERSION of Windows OS can let you install from one PC to another PC at any one time. (can't share) A RETAIL version cost about $270 - $320 (I think... can't recall)  So maybe that is why they willing to sell that notebook to you so cheap as they figure you will need to buy a copy to install.

Price around 100. But dont have hard disk or ram information. I think should be quite standard i think. If i buy refurbished one from shoppee is ard 200 to 300 plus. 

If you do not get a chance to test it or ensure it works fully, you are buying blind. You have to be sure the Windows install nicely without issue too as that is on you not Shopee.  I am sure their warranty will be limited to conditions that limit them to entertain you up to a point and any other action including installing a new OS is not their problem.

Should I buy old laptop from company or refurbished one from shoppee. Main usage is to use for simple canva design, words and data entry.

What canva design work? What is that?

Work out what other cost will be involved in total and compare that to other notebook. Some entry level new notebook made today can run as good without costing much and includes a Window OS licence.

100 buck is too damn cheap heheh... I would be nervous.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

My company sells our old laptop for $50, tower PC for $100. Max one each, proceeds go to charity. Then those accessories, monitor hands, monitors, tablets etc at lower prices. The only thing is IT have to wipe the OS and won't bother to do reinstallation. Basically just USB the OS from internet and plug into laptop and run setup from there. Original laptop already comes with key, so no need pay additional. Just get the right version, home, pro etc.

Thing about these are there's no guarantee it will work one year down the road, so buyers risk. If you get to choose, see which one is better on the outside only. Most people don't take care of company laptop, and you can't see if the battery is bloated.

Guest Laptop
5 hours ago, upshot said:

It's fine for general utility and nothing too demanding. So long you look at it as a notebook and expectation are along those line... it will never be as efficient to it's PC counterpart. If you are not aware, to make components compact to fit into a smaller footprint, it has to compromise on performance and longevity. Something to keep in mind. I am not sure how savvy you are with computers so, I go the long route.  Skip anything if you are already aware.

When you say your old laptop. Do you mean a laptop you bought that comes with installed OS Windows? If so, that's an OEM copy of Windows. It will not work when you try to copy and install to this notebook you're getting nor will it work on other PC or notebook. OEM is for only ONE installing in ONE computer. It will digitally identify with that one laptop it came in.

So long it is the same laptop it will work and re-install fine. But when you try to install in another computer, goes online, it will detect the different components in the notebook is not registered to the OS CD-key previously. It will notify you and refuse to let you use it longer 30 days. That 30 days is for you to go BUY ANOTHER LICENCE Key to use it. This happen as installation require you be online to register by linking up with Microsoft to verify if your Windows copy is pirated or not. UNLESS you have some pirated way to circumvent the verification process. A new OEM version for a one time use is about $150 (est) at Sim Lim Sq. Only a RETAIL VERSION of Windows OS can let you install from one PC to another PC at any one time. (can't share) A RETAIL version cost about $270 - $320 (I think... can't recall)  So maybe that is why they willing to sell that notebook to you so cheap as they figure you will need to buy a copy to install.

If you do not get a chance to test it or ensure it works fully, you are buying blind. You have to be sure the Windows install nicely without issue too as that is on you not Shopee.  I am sure their warranty will be limited to conditions that limit them to entertain you up to a point and any other action including installing a new OS is not their problem.

What canva design work? What is that?

Work out what other cost will be involved in total and compare that to other notebook. Some entry level new notebook made today can run as good without costing much and includes a Window OS licence.

100 buck is too damn cheap heheh... I would be nervous.

11 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

The Lenovo X250 is a good ultraportable, no more than 5 years old.  Most have Intel Core I5, 8GB RAM,  SSD.   Why does this one not have software?  How can you know if it still works?   But if you know this,  SG$ 100 is a good price.  A good travel laptop.  But to use at home, you are probably better off with a mainframe and large, large monitor.

1 hour ago, keyboard said:

My company sells our old laptop for $50, tower PC for $100. Max one each, proceeds go to charity. Then those accessories, monitor hands, monitors, tablets etc at lower prices. The only thing is IT have to wipe the OS and won't bother to do reinstallation. Basically just USB the OS from internet and plug into laptop and run setup from there. Original laptop already comes with key, so no need pay additional. Just get the right version, home, pro etc.

Thing about these are there's no guarantee it will work one year down the road, so buyers risk. If you get to choose, see which one is better on the outside only. Most people don't take care of company laptop, and you can't see if the battery is bloated.

I have emailed to the person in charge that I am interested to buy. But if got more people interested to buy will have to go by balloting. 

I thought I have the os intallation cd-key. I searched everywhere but don't have. Maybe I have mistaken. Then I searched on carousell, the US version of microsoft 10 is ard 65. Then I think total 165 (laptop + os) should be ok I think. But not sure laptop can tahan for how many years more. 

I don't use it for gaming or heavy work. Just normal canva design (simple version of photoshop/illustrator alike).

My current laptop hinges broken already. Cannot close. I taped it with cellophane tape and never close it. 

I ever bought those entry level tower computer but also got problem around 4-5 years. 

I thought just buy a second hand or refurbished enough already if can last me that same period. 

My current laptop battery also gone case liao. I just plugged in to the powerpoint to use. 

Yeah 100 is cheap thats why tempted to try. Not sure worth it or not. I thought company will not sell unuseable computer to the staff. 

If your IT is helpful, just ask them what OS it comes with the original laptop. Company loads their own image with enterprise licence, that's why they need to format including OS before dumping the laptops.

It's not so much about useable or not, the company doesn't care. The exercise is due to tech refresh/cycle. After usually 3-5 years, the depreciation value becomes zero and warranty exceeds the value. Thus the policy is to buy new ones, format the disk using a cleaner software and throw into the bin or get an electronics disposal company to shred the laptop. Thus the condition of the old laptop varies widely.

If under table you can do, ask IT help you find a good laptop (less HDD usage) or swap out the battery for newer ones. But 5-6 years I think is asking too much. Backing up important files is required for such devices as any day any time it can uplorry without signs.

Guest Laptop
51 minutes ago, keyboard said:

If your IT is helpful, just ask them what OS it comes with the original laptop. Company loads their own image with enterprise licence, that's why they need to format including OS before dumping the laptops.

It's not so much about useable or not, the company doesn't care. The exercise is due to tech refresh/cycle. After usually 3-5 years, the depreciation value becomes zero and warranty exceeds the value. Thus the policy is to buy new ones, format the disk using a cleaner software and throw into the bin or get an electronics disposal company to shred the laptop. Thus the condition of the old laptop varies widely.

If under table you can do, ask IT help you find a good laptop (less HDD usage) or swap out the battery for newer ones. But 5-6 years I think is asking too much. Backing up important files is required for such devices as any day any time it can uplorry without signs.

Oh. Thanks alot for the informations. I didn't know about this cycle. Do you think a refurbished one sold on shoppee will be a better option than buying company old laptop?

If I didn't install back the original os but instead get the new window 10, is it ok also? I saw from carousell some selling the window 10 at 25 (just the activation code) and some selling at 65 (with box) and some selling at 100 smthg. I will choose the middle one at 65 with box. 

Isn't refurbished one also the same thing? I'm not really sure what it means refurbished because if a HDD is spoilt, it would cost $100-150? for a new one. Is it take from another old laptop and put into this one, so technically also won't know how old the working HDD is. The additional cost could be just labour and profit costs to format the HDD, utility bills, rental etc.

I think 3 years ago, all new laptops would be win 10 already? As for buying online, do read the fine prints. Check the original price from Microsoft and see what it entails. Cheaper is usually some loophole like education version or corporate version that has a use at your own risk situation. Not sure box contains what, if installation file or whatnot, could just download from the internet. Worse if they come in CD and you don't have a CD drive on your laptop.

I'm very out of touch with user devices already, so information is most likely outdated.

Guest Laptop
16 minutes ago, keyboard said:

Isn't refurbished one also the same thing? I'm not really sure what it means refurbished because if a HDD is spoilt, it would cost $100-150? for a new one. Is it take from another old laptop and put into this one, so technically also won't know how old the working HDD is. The additional cost could be just labour and profit costs to format the HDD, utility bills, rental etc.

I think 3 years ago, all new laptops would be win 10 already? As for buying online, do read the fine prints. Check the original price from Microsoft and see what it entails. Cheaper is usually some loophole like education version or corporate version that has a use at your own risk situation. Not sure box contains what, if installation file or whatnot, could just download from the internet. Worse if they come in CD and you don't have a CD drive on your laptop.

I'm very out of touch with user devices already, so information is most likely outdated.

In that case I will try my luck. If can buy, I will buy from company old laptop and see first. And then search for the window 10 os from carousell. 

Thank you very much for your help. Now I have a clearer understanding of my dilemma.

Guest Laptop
2 hours ago, keyboard said:

Ask your IT first for the OS bah. If comes with win 10, save your $65 to offset new HDD when it fails eventually.

You mean under table? I don't know any IT guy. They send the email of this buy back scheme and mentioned that the computers are without the operating system. 

I think you should ask your IT or Lenovo when you get the laptop, the manufacturer should have a copy of license key for the laptop, just a matter of which version, 7, 8.1 or 10. Last time win 7, 8.1 can free upgrade to win 10.

Just in case this wasn't clear. The OS can all be downloaded from Microsoft website for free. To activate as true copy (not necessarily needed), you need the license/activation key (which usually comes with the laptop).

3 hours ago, Guest Laptop said:

You mean under table? I don't know any IT guy. They send the email of this buy back scheme and mentioned that the computers are without the operating system. 

Then whoever sent the email could be the IT guy in your company, and you can email him back.  There should be an IT guy, the one who removed the OS.

If you have the opportunity to power up the laptop before buying it,  you can check that it comes up into the BIOS,  and therefore the CPU and display work correctly. You can also find some information about the amount of RAM,  peripherals including the SSD if it was not completely erased.   Maybe the laptop powers up from its battery, or you need to use the recharger.  In this case, after a while unplug the recharger and see if the laptop stays on, to get an idea if the battery still holds charge.

You can do any desired modification,  like updating the disk to a big SSD before installing the OS, adding RAM,  replacing the motherboard battery, by yourself.  In YouTube there are plenty of videos explaining how to deal with the laptop in many situations,  and you should not need to pay anyone to do it for you.

Guest Laptop
10 hours ago, keyboard said:

I think you should ask your IT or Lenovo when you get the laptop, the manufacturer should have a copy of license key for the laptop, just a matter of which version, 7, 8.1 or 10. Last time win 7, 8.1 can free upgrade to win 10.

Just in case this wasn't clear. The OS can all be downloaded from Microsoft website for free. To activate as true copy (not necessarily needed), you need the license/activation key (which usually comes with the laptop).

9 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Then whoever sent the email could be the IT guy in your company, and you can email him back.  There should be an IT guy, the one who removed the OS.

If you have the opportunity to power up the laptop before buying it,  you can check that it comes up into the BIOS,  and therefore the CPU and display work correctly. You can also find some information about the amount of RAM,  peripherals including the SSD if it was not completely erased.   Maybe the laptop powers up from its battery, or you need to use the recharger.  In this case, after a while unplug the recharger and see if the laptop stays on, to get an idea if the battery still holds charge.

You can do any desired modification,  like updating the disk to a big SSD before installing the OS, adding RAM,  replacing the motherboard battery, by yourself.  In YouTube there are plenty of videos explaining how to deal with the laptop in many situations,  and you should not need to pay anyone to do it for you.

8 hours ago, kelvin32bb said:

Check the laptop sticker to see which version of windows it was pre installed. If windows 10 then it will be easy. Otherwise you may need to find the os cd and license key. 

Thank you guys, I didn't know about these. I will google search more in this direction:)

Guest It nerd
On 4/29/2021 at 11:08 PM, Steve5380 said:

Mainframe at home? HAHAHAH

6 minutes ago, Guest It nerd said:

Mainframe at home? HAHAHAH

LOL!  My mistake,  from memories of my old DEC10 at work!   You are right, I should have written desktop, although mine is a deskbottom  :)   

Guest It nerd
1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

LOL!  My mistake,  from memories of my old DEC10 at work!   You are right, I should have written desktop, although mine is a deskbottom  :)   

LOL, I am right, u are stupid. 🙂

Ask laptop say mainframe

Ask quartz watch say uncle werner grandfather clock

Guest Guest Laptop2
22 hours ago, Guest Laptop said:

I know which company u from! i got the same email! may the best man win at the balloting! 

Guest Laptop
25 minutes ago, Guest Guest Laptop2 said:

I know which company u from! i got the same email! may the best man win at the balloting! 

Crazy. You also interested in old laptop? 

9 hours ago, Guest It nerd said:

LOL, I am right, u are stupid. 🙂

Ask laptop say mainframe

Ask quartz watch say uncle werner grandfather clock

Well... it's better than being stupid AND nerdy without nothing of "it",  like you are. 

You are so dumb, you can only know the name of things. 

I am fortunate to also know what is inside.

A laptop, a desktop, a mainframe are conceptually the same:  a computer.

Check first if the old laptop is when gen of CPU.

Most older gen cpu need to be patched for Spectre and Meltdown exploit.

Check with your IT if they have done so before purchase.

And do check the OS license whether if its win 7 or windows 10.

Anyway if the office laptop does  comes with licensed ms office . $100 is a bargain .

Edited by SazNura

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guest Laptop and Guest Laptop 2,

You guys got your laptops yet? Me side also doing charity drive on Monday, I got myself one at $90. Did you guys find out if got licence or which OS?

Had unsold 100+ desktop at $50 nobody buy. The pad and phones 10 mins all sold out.

Edited by keyboard

Guest Laptop
2 hours ago, keyboard said:

Hey Guest Laptop and Guest Laptop 2,

You guys got your laptops yet? Me side also doing charity drive on Monday, I got myself one at $90. Did you guys find out if got licence or which OS?

Had unsold 100+ desktop at $50 nobody buy. The pad and phones 10 mins all sold out.

Me too. Got very good demand so not successful also. Most item only have 1 unit available. No OS as stated. Laptop more space friendly and good enough for normal usage, I think thats why many people want it.

They will dispose of 100+ desktop, then those who brought technically wasted their money in a sense.

Wonder why nobody want desktop cos they are the small small kind that can hide behind the monitor type.

I looked up internally, so laptops are 3 years warranty and 1 year without before can dispose. On CNET website, looks to come with win 7 pro 64-bit. But I think because the serial number etc didn't change, loading win 10 will be activated since there's a record inside Microsoft that this was licensed before. I think that's why no mention of buying license is required.

Wonder why companies don't give these desktops to those underprivileged households who have multiple kids at home rather than disposal... Haiz

OK, took a while to get this sorted out.

1. Have a USB flash drive in NTFS format (FAT32 support up to file size of 4GB, Win10 is 5.85GB)

2. Search online your make/model is 32/64-bit system

3. Create Windows 10 Installation Media (bootable USB) at https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

4. Download Tool - Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (select 32/64-bit system)

5. Default settings the BIOS (optional) - error when trying to install as partition was not recognized (likely due to file sectors previously formatted by company)

6. C:\ min size is 25GB (20.4GB is used by System, 23.7GB for clean system) - this can't change after installation (C:\ always in red)

7. Need to sign-in Microsoft account (mandatory) then try to delete traces of it after installation completes

8. User folder is created using that name (which unfortunately cannot be changed)

9. License is activated (believe this is due to the hardware activated by company before)

10. Did lots of disabling of privacy, features, apps. Tons of things accessing the camera, microphone, email, contacts, by default.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.