Male HQ

Pink Dot 2021 - Becoming Irrelevant

Guest Thoughts

Guest Thoughts

Next month is Pink Dot 2021 but apart from the same small group of old farts posting about it, seem like tis year really nobody care about Pink Dot.

Now is May already but never even see a single media post about Pink Dot.

Normally sites like CNA will publish something but this year, never see any posts on Pink Dot.

Every year, interest in Pink Dot gets less and less and now with the pandemic, there is pretty much zero interest in it.

Thoughts?

Guest Great White Shark
19 minutes ago, Guest Thoughts said:

Next month is Pink Dot 2021 but apart from the same small group of old farts posting about it, seem like tis year really nobody care about Pink Dot.

Normally sites like CNA will publish something but this year, never see any posts on Pink Dot.

Every year, interest in Pink Dot gets less and less and now with the pandemic, there is pretty much zero interest in it.

Thoughts?

No wave doesn't mean there is not undercurrent.  Beware of what you are expecting.

2 hours ago, Guest Thoughts said:

Thoughts?

You are out of line!

How dare you discredit them with such belittling words.

Those Pink Dots organisers and supporters had done a great job for the gay community.

Without their hard work and toiling to keep Pink Dots going, where do you think you can enjoy the fruits of their labour today!

What had you contributed to the community?

For your insolence, your member account @Gayleo will get a 1 week’s holiday and if you should ever bad mouth any of these Pink Dots organisers again, I will have your account banned.

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, G_M said:

You are out of line!

How dare you discredit them with such belittling words.

Those Pink Dots organisers and supporters had done a great job for the gay community.

Without their hard work and toiling to keep Pink Dots going, where do you think you can enjoy the fruits of their labour today!

What had you contributed to the community?

For your insolence, your member account @Gayleo will get a 1 week’s holiday and if you should ever bad mouth any of these Pink Dots organisers again, I will have your account banned.

LOL, the cheebye mouth Gayleo finally gets exposed for troublemaking as guest.

LOL LOL

• 1 month later...

I'm not a regular in this forum anymore, so I don't really care either way what potential "consequences" my account will suffer for saying the following. 

@G_M why the overreaction to the TS post here about Pink Dot losing its relevancy in Singapore? 

I don't find any of what he said here factually wrong. We're still in the midst of a global pandemic. Of course Pink Dot would not be front and centre stage for media attention at all, especially when mass physical events are still impossible to organise and host in Singapore now. 

And the unfortunate reality is that outside of the LGBT community and BW, Pink Dot does not have much mainstream traction or support from the majority heterosexual demographic in Singapore. It is what it is: a one-day beacon annually to show Singaporeans that LGBT people exist, to celebrate love in all its forms beyond the heterosexual norm, and that's it.

377A still isn't abolished, and doesn't look likely for the next few decades. Ditto public housing discrimination in Singapore against all potential homeowners other than heterosexual married couples before 35. LGBT people still having to stay in the closet in their corporate professions, in an employment market like SG dominated by SMEs helmed by outdated boomer mentality managements with ultra-conservative mentalities and moralities. Lots of anecdotal stories floating round outside of people losing out on jobs or even getting sacked/discriminated against in their jobs because they were known to be LGBT if we bother to listen for them.

What's Pink Dot done to change any of these things? Even recent surveys of Singaporeans showing greater acceptance of LGBT individuals in Singapore don't demonstrate a direct correlation between Pink Dot and its organisers and greater acceptance/integration of Singapore's LGBT community into wider heterosexual society as a whole. In fact it can be argued that Western media like Netflix, and social media in general has done more to normalise LGBT individuals and the community in Singapore than Pink Dot has as an actual annual physical event.

Pink Dot's a nice feel-good event for the LGBT community and societal demographic in Singapore, no doubt. But let's not kid ourselves, it was never really going to be relevant in the first place given the amount of ringfencing and restrictions on how it is organised, who can support and fund it, and where it can be held, how often it can be held, in a country like Singapore where a single party holds a parliamentary supermajority and espouses "traditional family values" as a vote-winning slogan. 

In fact, the only mistake I can say @Gayleo made was not saying what he said with his actual account, and hiding behind a guest name out of cowardice. How's it deserving of a ban? @G_M I get that you appreciate Pink Dot for what you think it's done for the LGBT community in SG and you're furiously going to defend it here any way you can, but speaking as a B out of the LGBT spectrum here, I can safely say Pink Dot has not been representative, nor relevant to myself as a bisexual individual in deeply and hypocritically conservative Singapore. 

I said my piece. If this earns me a ban, so be it. The LGBT community isn't a monolith 100% behind Pink Dot. And there are serious questions Pink Dot and its organisers need to ask itself about what its aims are for the future, and how best to achieve them beyond the annual feel-good event. 

Guest Pink to the underware

However, it is easy to complain while sitting back and watching.

Just be appreciative on the volunteering by the Pink Dot organisers. Surely, they throw in some work and time, while the rest just seeks their sexual relief.

At least they brought the topic into the media and reminded on our existence.

And you can't say there was no impact.

There are more gay movies broadcasted in the cinemas. 15 years back it was a fight and most movies just banned because there was a gay involved.

And the restrictions are government imposed. Other social NGO have no means to hold such events at different locations too. The constraints apply to all.

In fact, no other social awareness campaign has brought such crowds onto Hong Lim and already bursting it's capacity.

LGBT can no longer be ignored in Singapore and that is the good point!

In the previous years the LGBT topic only appeared in the Crime section of the newspapers but any other factor was simply ignored.

And without the Pink Dot, the UN Human rights commission surely had not taken up the issue and pointed fingers onto Singapore.

Interest and spirit always fades if things are repeated on a yearly basis. Look at the interest on F1 here.

Why don't you join the Pink Dot committee to send them some fresh ideas?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.