Male HQ

Question on Telegram

Dear all ,, 

I am not very good with IT and I have to observe some of the settings going funny. Can anyone help the possibilities? 

1. For privacy settings, under phone number, under add exceptions, it is stated in the app that I can add individuals or an entire group. My question is I have never added anyone in there, but on 17 May when I was chatting of the member of a group - initiated by a BW member - he has alerted me that my phone number is visible and I should look into my privacy setting. Could it that I added to my contact list and the app automatically added him to the exception list? If that is not is the case, can someone how to avoid this again? And perhaps how did it happen in the first place?

2. Since April I have switched to a new Android phone, I have stopped my iphone XR. Because of issue 1, I started explore the app. I found this out:- under settings, devices, there is an active session on iPhone XR since MAy 11. It could not be me using my old phone as it is thrown away. Can anyone be kind enough to advise on whether that is severe security breach? Would my phone and the other app  be also compromised?  If the answer is yes, how can I restore and prevent another episode? Finally, if there is a security breach, how is possible?

Hello!

Not a tech expert, but here's what i'll do:

1. You should be able to hide your phone number from people in settings under Privacy and Security.

2. On Telegram you should be able to terminate all active sessions you don't recognise. If your phone wasn't reset to factory settings and someone picked it up and unlocked it, might be worth just scrubbing through a few key apps/platforms (e.g. FB/Google/Outlook) and log out from all devices/change your passwords.

Edited by janth

50 minutes ago, janth said:

Hello!

Not a tech expert, but here's what i'll do:

1. You should be able to hide your phone number from people in settings under Privacy and Security.

2. On Telegram you should be able to terminate all active sessions you don't recognise. If your phone wasn't reset to factory settings and someone picked it up and unlocked it, might be worth just scrubbing through a few key apps/platforms (e.g. FB/Google/Outlook) and log out from all devices/change your passwords.

Hi there,

The member who had alerted on the handphone being shown thought that i did not set my HP number to be shown to nobody. The thing I did that. And I explored the options there and realised that there is an EXCEPTION list. That means any people would exception to the rule of not able to see my number. I did nothing except to tap on add contact icon at the chat window. What was even more surprising is that the list was filled up. I did not manually selected those contacts to be put into the Exception list. What caused to be so concerned is the exception list contained largely those who texted on that morning - and a majority were previously not in my contact list. Very weird!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.