Male HQ

Gym / Fitness / Health for age above 40

Derren

• 2 months later...

I am already pass the mid 40 point what would you like to know?

I was hoping we can discuss about health and fitness issues here.

Recovery is an issue for me. For example, if I do a moderate number of pull-ups on Mon, I find that

even on Wed (after 48 hours), I am hardly able to do any pull-ups. It would take at least 4 days

before I could get back to my original performance level, sometimes a week! 

Any tips to aid recovery? Sleep and nutrition is OK, I do take note of these, but not fantastic though. 

You will need to up your nutrition in terms of the proteins in-take and other nutrients via supplements to aid in your recovery. However, it is something to note that our body will take a little longer to recover than when we are younger. Even gaining the strength back. I got injured in my wrist and wasn't able to bench press for a while. When I recovered it took me like less than 1mth to gain back the strength. That was when I was in my early 40s. Now nearing to 50... after recovering from a light shoulder injury... my strength dropped drastically and it has been 3mths of consistent training, I still can't really bench press back to my usual weight of 80kg.   

Rehab Trainer & Sports Massage Therapist
49 173 90 Local Chinese. Whatsapp For Appt: 85338783

On 10/31/2021 at 10:49 AM, Derren said:

Recovery is an issue for me. For example, if I do a moderate number of pull-ups on Mon, I find that

even on Wed (after 48 hours), I am hardly able to do any pull-ups. It would take at least 4 days

Any tips to aid recovery? Sleep and nutrition is OK, I do take note of these, but not fantastic though. 

My opinion is that this has to do with consistency. If you're still feeling sore several days after working out, that workout was too tough. A better strategy is to start easy but regularly, and slowly ramp up how much you do over time. Consistency beats intensity, and you get to save your money by not buying supplements too!

On 11/1/2021 at 10:11 AM, noobflex said:

My opinion is that this has to do with consistency. If you're still feeling sore several days after working out, that workout was too tough. A better strategy is to start easy but regularly, and slowly ramp up how much you do over time. Consistency beats intensity, and you get to save your money by not buying supplements too!

Totally agree about consistency and starting easy but regularly and slowly ramping up. 

Sometimes I can't add intensity for a few weeks and I wonder if I am being too easy on myself. Other times I go with a lighter weight because I worry about getting injured, especially since I don't have a spotter in case I can't manage.  In any case, I hardly train to failure, only 2-3 reps short of failure (I think).

On 11/1/2021 at 10:23 AM, camboy_xxx1 said:

I do feel there is a need to be careful and also the right technique to have less injuries at 40s.

It really takes a longer to recover if we are not careful. 

Indeed. Injuries can take very long to recover. I rather make less gains. But technique and form.... really have to invest in a good trainer which is quite costly. I wonder if it can be made more affordable with group sessions for people of our age group.  Maybe a 3-month long group class would be awesome, to establish good habits. Anyone keen or has any lobang?

By the way, nice physique camboy_xxx1! 

Edited by Derren

On 11/1/2021 at 10:42 AM, Derren said:

Indeed. Injuries can take very long to recover. I rather make less gains. But technique and form.... really have to invest in a good trainer which is quite costly. I wonder if it can be made more affordable with group sessions for people of our age group.  Maybe a 3-month long group class would be awesome, to establish good habits. Anyone keen or has any lobang?

By the way, nice physique camboy_xxx1! 

U can start by finding a PT at your gym for a number of sessions to get the form correctly. After that is the consistency training and self motivated to carry on. 

If u dun mind can just add my telegram, @tttt_t4

On 11/1/2021 at 11:11 AM, camboy_xxx1 said:

U can start by finding a PT at your gym for a number of sessions to get the form correctly. After that is the consistency training and self motivated to carry on. 

If u dun mind can just add my telegram, @tttt_t4

Nice chatting! Hope we can have more fitness buddies to encourage each other, exchange tips and even workout together!

Sleep is the most important form of recovery. I can't say my sleep is fantastic. I do get 7 hours at least each, but I wake up 2-3 times

each night for about 5 mins each time before getting back to sleep. When I wake up, I don't feel as refreshed as I would like. 

Vigorous exercise (e.g. gym or HIIT) doesn't seem to make me sleep better at night. Strangely, it is long, slow, easy walks that seem to make me sleep better. But it takes up too much time. Any thoughts?

Edited by Derren

On 11/2/2021 at 9:57 AM, Derren said:

Nice chatting! Hope we can have more fitness buddies to encourage each other, exchange tips and even workout together!

Sleep is the most important form of recovery. I can't say my sleep is fantastic. I do get 7 hours at least each, but I wake up 2-3 times

each time for about 5 mins before getting back to sleep. When I wake up, I don't feel as refreshed as I would like. I

Vigorous exercise (e.g. gym or HIIT) doesn't seem to make me sleep better at night. Strangely, it is long, slow, easy walks that seem to make me sleep better. But it takes up

too much time. Any thoughts?

I am also learning when chatting with you, no problem on that. I agree sleep is as important as calories intake. Having 7 hours or more is a luxury at our age, we tend to sleep less. You can try catching a nap if you have the time, doesn't need to be long. For me, 20 - 30 mins to feel refreshed after a long day.

As for vigorous exercises, it doesn't really work for me as well. I do prefer to go outdoors for a run/cycling/brisk walk, but I think you can still keep it short by having high intensity eg. run/walk/cycle faster.

Any one can also chip in anything, we learn from each other.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, camboy_xxx1 said:

I am also learning when chatting with you, no problem on that. I agree sleep is as important as calories intake. Having 7 hours or more is a luxury at our age, we tend to sleep less. You can try catching a nap if you have the time, doesn't need to be long. For me, 20 - 30 mins to feel refreshed after a long day.

As for vigorous exercises, it doesn't really work for me as well. I do prefer to go outdoors for a run/cycling/brisk walk, but I think you can still keep it short by having high intensity eg. run/walk/cycle faster.

Any one can also chip in anything, we learn from each other.

I heard from a podcast by the Stanford neuroscientist, Andrew Huberman, that one of the the best things you can do for better sleep is to get about 10 mins of sunlight within 30 mins of waking up. The body's clock is reset by the rays of the sunlight coming from the horizon.

But I am too lazy to get out of the house so early. LOL.

Also coffee is another problem. Caffeine has a half life of about 5-6 hours. So that means it takes 10 hours for it to be mostly clear from our system.

I am a coffee lover, and I have suffered many insomnia nights due to an indulgent cuppa in the afternoon. I am probably more sensitive to caffeine than most people. So now I have limited myself to no more than 2 cups of coffee and 1 cup of tea a day, and "strictly" no caffeine after 2 pm, except for the occasional "the flesh is weak" moments, haha.  I wonder if sleep will be better if I drink less coffee. But I really love the taste....

Edited by Derren

On 10/31/2021 at 10:49 AM, Derren said:

Hmm i never had any recovery issues nowadays as my exercise routine is quite regular. I have done pull up once every week. Normally do around 20 pull up until failure. I have seen your other post about it and i would like to suggest to you to pull until failure so that your muscles really train hard for it. Since this post is all about health and fitness after 40 i will talk about all my health and fitness statistics for others to reference.

I am already around 10 years on my full time vegetarian diet.

Hardly ever taken any pill supplement.

Have no interest to go to the gym

Not interested in those protein powder as it takes too much money to keep buying

Does not smoke

Does not drink alcohol

Try to rest 7 hours per day be it in bed or in bus before or after work or lunch breaks etc. I do hope to manage a better sleep arrangement but always fail lol

Every day exercise 10 mins at home while every week go out to run with friends once per week (Slow jog normally 3km to 10km depends on the group).

I am very careful with what i eat trying to eat food with lots of nutrients like avocardo, brown rice, quinoa etc and i always eat a lot of vegetables and fruits in my meal. Some times even eat a whole big pot of vegetables without eating rice to stay slimmer.

I do like to drink bbt and eat some junk food but i will try to keep junk food in very small amount.

In your other post i see you talk about coffee, i do not have interest on coffee but will drink it once in a blue moon

Tips i can give you is for exercise you need to put in your 100% effort to do it and not go easy on yourself. Only this way you would have the best fitness results. Also make sure the exercise is something you can do it or confident to do it and not some injury prone exercise as our age wont recover injury fast like when we were in our younger days.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:16 PM, yoyo74 said:

Hmm i never had any recovery issues nowadays as my exercise routine is quite regular. I have done pull up once every week. Normally do around 20 pull up until failure. I have seen your other post about it and i would like to suggest to you to pull until failure so that your muscles really train hard for it. Since this post is all about health and fitness after 40 i will talk about all my health and fitness statistics for others to reference.

I am already around 10 years on my full time vegetarian diet.

Hardly ever taken any pill supplement.

Have no interest to go to the gym

Not interested in those protein powder as it takes too much money to keep buying

Does not smoke

Does not drink alcohol

Try to rest 7 hours per day be it in bed or in bus before or after work or lunch breaks etc. I do hope to manage a better sleep arrangement but always fail lol

Every day exercise 10 mins at home while every week go out to run with friends once per week (Slow jog normally 3km to 10km depends on the group).

I am very careful with what i eat trying to eat food with lots of nutrients like avocardo, brown rice, quinoa etc and i always eat a lot of vegetables and fruits in my meal. Some times even eat a whole big pot of vegetables without eating rice to stay slimmer.

I do like to drink bbt and eat some junk food but i will try to keep junk food in very small amount.

In your other post i see you talk about coffee, i do not have interest on coffee but will drink it once in a blue moon

Tips i can give you is for exercise you need to put in your 100% effort to do it and not go easy on yourself. Only this way you would have the best fitness results. Also make sure the exercise is something you can do it or confident to do it and not some injury prone exercise as our age wont recover injury fast like when we were in our younger days.

Thanks for sharing! 

Yes, one must push the body's system beyond its comfort zone, then give it rest and nutrition, so that supercompensation can happen.

20 pull-ups in one continuous go is very impressive, especially for one beyond 40! Bravo!

Yes I do workout till close to failure, maybe 2 or 3 reps to failure. That's because I go to the gym about 4-5x a week. If I work to absolute failure, I wouldn't be able to return to the gym that often. And it's quite scary to do some of the workouts to absolute failure without a spotter. Maybe I will start pushing myself towards being just at most 1-2 reps to failure. But some days are better than others.

Exercise 10 mins everyday at home? That's super efficient! And jog once a week? Cool.

Glad that you have found a way to enjoy life and food while keeping a healthy body! I think we all are trying to find that lifestyle which suits our personalities and preferences.  Let's keep fit and healthy all the way!

Edited by Derren

On 11/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, size1969 said:

i gym too for stability and mobility. i do whole body stretching immediately after workout in the gym or outside the gym and that help me in recovery and i gym again after 48 hours off. I also warm up for 20 mins whole body on all joints and muscle. I train overhead press squat for intensity. i want to join the gym workout group, how to ? i am a driver, aged 52, 1.6m 65kg, not going for 6 pack. only for stability and mobility. hope to learn and share with other interested gym goers.

Bravo!!!!

I think it's absolutely wonderful that you focus on flexiblity and mobility. 20 mins whole body warm-up for all joints and muscles!

I should learn that!

Yes we aren't aiming for 6-pack at our age. It is possible to achieve of course, but I think at our age, our main priority is to ensure we have the strength, mobility and energy to enjoy a good quality of life well into our advanced years. 

Maybe when the SMM are relaxed, we could have regular meetings to work out together. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/29/well/move/exercise-weight-loss-longer-life.html

Main points:

1. Exercise is more important than weight loss for health.

2. We can be healthy at any weight, if we are also active enough.

3. Exercise doesn't help one to lose much weight, as it burns too few calories and we tend to compensate

by eating more or moving less at other times.

4. Obese person who begin to exercise lowers his risk of early death by up to 30% even if his weight doesn't decrease, whereas if he loses weight by dieting, his risk of early death is lowered by only 16% (or not at all, according to some studies).

5. Many who lose weight by dieting tend to regain the weight, resulting in yo-yo dieting which can lead to metabolic issues such as diabetes.

6. When obese people exercise, they lose visceral fat even if their weight remains the same. Visceral fat can cause many medical conditions such as heart disease and diabetes.

7. Conclusion: It's better to exercise than to intentionally lose weight (by dieting) if your goal is health.

So don't be fixated on the number on the scale. Be physically active!

Edited by Derren

After some reading and listening to podcasts, I would like to share what I found out about the importance of physical activity for healthy aging. 

We all have different priorities and varying amounts of time we are willing to spend on physical activity. Below are some recommendations that you might want to consider:-

Physical Activity for Healthy Living/Aging

1. Basic: Walk 7,000 steps a day

If your job requires extensive walking, you would have quite easily met this requirement. If not, make it a point to top up the shortfall after dinner. This alone will reduce your risk of early death by a whopping 50-70%!  All it takes is a daily investment of 20 min - perfect for an interesting podcast to engage your mind while you take a stroll around the neighbourhood park. (https://theconversation.com/why-7-000-steps-a-day-is-the-new-10-000-steps-a-day-167490)

2. Moderate: 150-300 mins of moderate-intensity or 75-150 min of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity per week

Taken from the WHO 2020 guidelines for adults (https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/physical-activity), this works out to a minimum of 30 mins of moderate-intensity activity per day 5 days per week. How is moderate intensity defined? There is no standard definition. According to Health Hub (SG), a good rule of thumb is you can talk but not sing during the activity, and you are perspiring. Examples include brisk walking, leisure cycling and swimming. (https://www.healthhub.sg/live-healthy/387/TypesOfActivities)

Bonus Tip: Keep your Waist-to-Height-Ratio (WHR) to below 0.5. 

3. Strong: at least 2 sessions per week of resistance training involving all major muscle groups, on top of aerobic physical activity.

Sacropenia is the gradual loss of muscle as we age, and it can start as early as in our 30s. Our muscle mass shrink by about 3-5% per decade. This is why many in their 70s-90s become frail and susceptible to falls. According to Dr Gabrielle Lyon, muscle is the organ of longevity. Muscle is very important for metabolic and brain health. (https://shows.acast.com/broken-brain/episodes/muscle-the-organ-of-longevity-with-dr-gabrielle-lyon) Hence it is important to counter sacropenia with systematic resistance training (not forgetting proper nutrition and rest). You could lift weights at the gym or you could do bodyweight exercises in the park. 

Hope this is of help. Let's get physical and age healthily! 

PS: Do check with your doctor if you have been sedentary and want to start being more physically active. Always start slow and easy.

Edited by Derren

By the way i know many people said the benefits of warm up before any exercise or running begins but i just lazy to do it and after out of army i hardly ever do any warm up before any strenuous exercise and so far nothing happens. Things like having cramps although very rare for me i found is due to a sudden change in temperature. Things like suddenly jumping into the extremely cold water. There is also some stretching like groin stretching will cause me abdominal cramps as well. Younger times dont have such problems. I think is due to too much abs exercise causing my abdominal structure to change and start having this problems. But i want abs so this kind of side effect i dont regret lol

On 11/8/2021 at 2:25 AM, yoyo74 said:

By the way i know many people said the benefits of warm up before any exercise or running begins but i just lazy to do it and after out of army i hardly ever do any warm up before any strenuous exercise and so far nothing happens. Things like having cramps although very rare for me i found is due to a sudden change in temperature. Things like suddenly jumping into the extremely cold water. There is also some stretching like groin stretching will cause me abdominal cramps as well. Younger times dont have such problems. I think is due to too much abs exercise causing my abdominal structure to change and start having this problems. But i want abs so this kind of side effect i dont regret lol

For me, I do a short warm-up of less than 5 mins, too lazy to do a proper longer sequence of full body dynamic warm-ups. I just try to get the muscles and joints I am going to use a bit warmer and although these days, static stretching is no longer encouraged before physical activity, I still do leg stretches because I do get cramps when I exercise too hard and long. And again due to laziness, I don't do post-workout static stretching for cool down. 

Flexibility and mobility is an area of fitness that we need to pay attention to especially as we age. It's something I really should be working on, but keep putting off.

I guess you probably have good general flexibility. Maybe your abs are a bit tight due to the amount of work you put them through. How about doing some ab stretches such as cobra pose? 

IT is good to discuss for us who are 40s and abv. 

I think the kind of training to do really got to do with what you want. 

For @yoyo74 he wants abs and thus whatever he does is to achieve that goal. And salute to him to be able to sustain a vegetarian lifestyle.

For @size1969 is for stability and mobility. That is why you spend about 20mins for warm up to get the joints and muscles ready. But I am interested to know what do you train when you are in the gym? 

For @Derren u mention that you are training for health reasons… but it seems that your training are leaning more towards traditional weight training to want to train to failure or that you want to train to lift heavier.

Not too sure for the rest. 

If you are training for health reasons or for stability and mobility and NOT for aesthetic or wanna be in bodybuilding. Then may I suggest that every 2-3weeks varied your training/gym session. Do something that you don’t usually do. For like @yoyo74 maybe hit the gym once a while to do some weight resistant training to challenge your muscles instead of usual bodyweight exercises. Because there is only so many push up or squats you can do. Or such as try to do animal flow, side way jogging, or backward running or whatever that you don’t usually do. Whatever it is varied it in such ways. 

@size1969  I may be wrong to assume, and I like to apologise first,  that you are more likely to be doing yoga or similar for stability and mobility. I am not saying that yoga is bad but it is also important to let your muscles and tendons and ligaments be challenged in weight training. 

@Derren maybe you can explore similar things like animal flow, functional equipment like ViPR, TRX, Kettlebells or etc to let ur body be challenged in a different manner. Becos there is only that heavy you can lift or squat.

Our body is an amazing machine. It will adapted. But when you challenge it once in a while and do something different you will be surprise how it will benefit you on the long term. And a few other things about our body that says so when u research deeper into it. Not to turn this reply to a science talk or seminar for health. If interested pls feel free to DM me. Or maybe I start another thread on it. Haha.

Myself I personally train only for health. Most see my stats would think I am obese or chubs. But if I were to tell u my muscles mass is 65kg out of 90kg? Yes I do know that I still have a fair bit of fats to let go. But slowly and surely it is coming off again. I was once 115kg and reduce to 82kg. But my training methodology has been what I shared on the abv. My aim for myself is simple. When I a, in my 80s, I want to be able to move and do things that I can do when I am in my 40s without any pain or whatsoever - this means, I can still bench about 90kg, Squat about 80kg, Deadlift about 80kg, doing movements that even younger ones will go wtf is this guy doing? As they nvr seen anyone doing such moves before. 

So in short - pls varied your training styles or exercises that you do. Try to get in 3 planes of movements as much as possible because more exercises are very 1 plane biased and there is where a lot of problem happen to our body simple because it is overuse and some other parts is under use. There is a saying in the functional training world. U don’t use it, you lose it.  

Edited by StockFit-SportsMassage

On 10/31/2021 at 2:07 PM, Derren said:

What kind of supplements would you recommend?

Sorry forgot to reply this. 

Can’t really be specific at this moment, because don’t have all your workout details and etc. But generally if you are talking about muscle soreness, taking more proteins (be it powder, natural from food source) will help. 

I am not a strong advocate about supplements as I personally don’t really take them except for protein shakes and some multi-vitamins. As far as possible I wanna take from food sources. But with the current climate change and all, not sure how good are the food now too. 

So everything is in mod for me when it comes to supplements. 

On 11/8/2021 at 4:02 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

IT is good to discuss for us who are 40s and abv. 

For @Derren u mention that you are training for health reasons… but it seems that your training are leaning more towards traditional weight training to want to train to failure or that you want to train to lift heavier.

Not too sure for the rest. 

If you are training for health reasons or for stability and mobility and NOT for aesthetic or wanna be in bodybuilding. Then may I suggest that every 2-3weeks varied your training/gym session. Do something that you don’t usually do.

@Derren maybe you can explore similar things like animal flow, functional equipment like ViPR, TRX, Kettlebells or etc to let ur body be challenged in a different manner. Becos there is only that heavy you can lift or squat.

Our body is an amazing machine. It will adapted. But when you challenge it once in a while and do something different you will be surprise how it will benefit you on the long term. And a few other things about our body that says so when u research deeper into it. Not to turn this reply to a science talk or seminar for health. If interested pls feel free to DM me. Or maybe I start another thread on it. Haha.

So in short - pls varied your training styles or exercises that you do. Try to get in 3 planes of movements as much as possible because more exercises are very 1 plane biased and there is where a lot of problem happen to our body simple because it is overuse and some other parts is under use. There is a saying in the functional training world. U don’t use it, you lose it.  

Hey thanks @StockFit-SportsMassage for a very engaging post.

Health is my first priority, but a little bit of aesthetics wouldn't hurt!  *lol* My hope to look more athletic, so hope to build some upper body strength and muscle.

I totally agree with you about the value of functional training. For a period of time, I did kettlebells - swings, cleans and snatches. Found it very challenging and loved it. Hope to get back to it soon, when covid is over. I also do a bit of HIIT-style bodyweight training once a week.

A variety of activity to keep the body challenged in multiple planes is an excellent suggestion. Indeed gym workouts tend to be in the same few planes.

Moreover we tend to get caught up doing the same routines for years. On the other hand, it is also good to have a core activity in which you focus on for a substantial period of time. Since my current main aim is to build base strength and muscles, gym workouts will be my core fitness activity for these couple of years. But I am game to try things out!

Edited by Derren

On 11/8/2021 at 4:06 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

Sorry forgot to reply this. 

Can’t really be specific at this moment, because don’t have all your workout details and etc. But generally if you are talking about muscle soreness, taking more proteins (be it powder, natural from food source) will help. 

I am not a strong advocate about supplements as I personally don’t really take them except for protein shakes and some multi-vitamins. As far as possible I wanna take from food sources. But with the current climate change and all, not sure how good are the food now too. 

So everything is in mod for me when it comes to supplements. 

Definitely natural food sources are the best choice. But it's not always easy to get them, or prepare them, or to even eat them. 

And as we age, we probably can do with a little boost or help.

Some people swear by ginseng or maca or tongkat ali etc. for that energy boost. Others prefer well-studied supplements like creatine. 

Then there are also anti-aging supplements which I have just come to read about, for example reservatrol (which is great news for red wine lover). So far, not entirely convinced to try. 

On 11/8/2021 at 6:42 PM, Derren said:

Hey thanks @StockFit-SportsMassage for a very engaging post.

Health is my first priority, but a little bit of aesthetics wouldn't hurt!  *lol* My hope to look more athletic, so hope to build some upper body strength and muscle.

I totally agree with you about the value of functional training. For a period of time, I did kettlebells - swings, cleans and snatches. Found it very challenging and loved it. Hope to get back to it soon, when covid is over. I also do a bit of HIIT-style bodyweight training once a week.

A variety of activity to keep the body challenged in multiple planes is an excellent suggestion. Indeed gym workouts tend to be in the same few planes.

Moreover we tend to get caught up doing the same routines for years. On the other hand, it is also good to have a core activity in which you focus on for a substantial period of time. Since my current main aim is to build base strength and muscles, gym workouts will be my core fitness activity for these couple of years. But I am game to try things out!

Hey it is normal to also want to look aesthetically pleasing. I definitely have some elements of that but not my main priority as I know it willcome as a by-product.

just trying to understand why do u need towait for covid to be over to try KB again? You gym should have KB, right? If u haven’t try ViPR or TRX, do try it out. I am usually the odd guy who use ViPR to train. Not sure what do to? Just youtube or IG search #ViPR or #ViPRPro and u will be able to see many of them.

If you wanna talk abt functional training I am all for it. 

On 11/8/2021 at 10:08 PM, Derren said:

Definitely natural food sources are the best choice. But it's not always easy to get them, or prepare them, or to even eat them. 

And as we age, we probably can do with a little boost or help.

Some people swear by ginseng or maca or tongkat ali etc. for that energy boost. Others prefer well-studied supplements like creatine. 

Then there are also anti-aging supplements which I have just come to read about, for example reservatrol (which is great news for red wine lover). So far, not entirely convinced to try. 

When it comes to supplements I am always quite skeptical. Because many companies even the more branded ones may not necessarily be truthful of their products and quality of products. Many just use filler ingredients (unfortunately mostly are some chemicals compounds) to make the products. So i am just very cautious about what I put inside my body. 

ultimately, rest/sleep is crucial at our age. I heard about the reservatrol few years back. And yup super skeptical. If I need that I will just drink wine instead. Haha. 

anyway when it comes to supplements, always do your research. Read authentic sources for reviews. If they put some (unknown) university/research lab has done research on it. I urged you to read the research paper and find out who funded it. If the company funded the research then, the results is very much likely to be skewed to what the company wants them to say. 

On 11/9/2021 at 7:21 AM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

Hey it is normal to also want to look aesthetically pleasing. I definitely have some elements of that but not my main priority as I know it willcome as a by-product.

just trying to understand why do u need towait for covid to be over to try KB again? You gym should have KB, right? If u haven’t try ViPR or TRX, do try it out. I am usually the odd guy who use ViPR to train. Not sure what do to? Just youtube or IG search #ViPR or #ViPRPro and u will be able to see many of them.

If you wanna talk abt functional training I am all for it. 

Before CB, I was part of a group which works out with KB only. As a result, I had become very "dependent" on the group energy to do the more challenging exercises such as snatches. On my own, I wont even consider doing snatches cos it's just too challenging and sometimes painful to the grip (my technique is still quite rudimentary, haha) But I do KB swings and shoulder presses occasionally.

During CB when the gyms closed, I got myself a "TRX" kit from Decathlon and had fun at the parks, but have stopped since the gyms re-opened. It does challenge the body in a different way from weights. As for ViPR, I have seen videos of it before but never experienced a proper session. I tried playing around with it once and found it taxing on the arms! I have no doubt it will provide a very solid workout.

Do share more about your experience with functional training!

On 11/9/2021 at 7:29 AM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

When it comes to supplements I am always quite skeptical. Because many companies even the more branded ones may not necessarily be truthful of their products and quality of products. Many just use filler ingredients (unfortunately mostly are some chemicals compounds) to make the products. So i am just very cautious about what I put inside my body. 

ultimately, rest/sleep is crucial at our age. I heard about the reservatrol few years back. And yup super skeptical. If I need that I will just drink wine instead. Haha. 

anyway when it comes to supplements, always do your research. Read authentic sources for reviews. If they put some (unknown) university/research lab has done research on it. I urged you to read the research paper and find out who funded it. If the company funded the research then, the results is very much likely to be skewed to what the company wants them to say. 

Good to meet a fellow skeptic, haha! I am not so good with reading and analysing scientific papers, but I do try to do some reading up as best as I could before Ingesting anything.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:29 AM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

What do you mean by ‘filler ingredients’? And you are aware that everything is made of chemicals, right? 

On 11/9/2021 at 1:04 PM, Derren said:

Before CB, I was part of a group which works out with KB only. As a result, I had become very "dependent" on the group energy to do the more challenging exercises such as snatches. On my own, I wont even consider doing snatches cos it's just too challenging and sometimes painful to the grip (my technique is still quite rudimentary, haha) But I do KB swings and shoulder presses occasionally.

During CB when the gyms closed, I got myself a "TRX" kit from Decathlon and had fun at the parks, but have stopped since the gyms re-opened. It does challenge the body in a different way from weights. As for ViPR, I have seen videos of it before but never experienced a proper session. I tried playing around with it once and found it taxing on the arms! I have no doubt it will provide a very solid workout.

Do share more about your experience with functional training!

ViPR is one of my fav tool to use. It works more than just the arms. haha. But yes keep ur training varied to challenge the body different.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:07 PM, Derren said:

Good to meet a fellow skeptic, haha! I am not so good with reading and analysing scientific papers, but I do try to do some reading up as best as I could before Ingesting anything.

Trust me you are the rare few. The general public most of the them just take it log, stock and barrel from the supplements "research paper". All thinking that well since this university or this research lab has done the test. Yet without knowing that the research paper results can be skewed.

So just posting it here for others who reads to be more aware.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:43 PM, Guest Wtf said:

What do you mean by ‘filler ingredients’? And you are aware that everything is made of chemicals, right? 

Filler ingredients can be a man-made compound that does nothing to the human body. They have the filler ingredient just to fulfill the weight of the supplements and etc.

And yes it is all chemicals after being processed. Most supplements even protein shakes are consider processed food.

I am not saying we take the extreme end of strictly no supplements at all. I am someone who believes in moderation. Because it is true that some minerals or vitamins, our body can't produce it on our own or get it from current food source. So the only to get it is via supplements.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:06 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

ViPR is one of my fav tool to use. It works more than just the arms. haha. But yes keep ur training varied to challenge the body different.

Haha, I only took a few swings and chops with it, so the immediate feeling was in the arms. With a proper routine, I am sure the whole body can be worked.

I liked working with KB a lot, but I find it painful on the hands (haha, I know, wuss right). Is ViPR less painful for the hands? 

So where do you train with ViPR? My gym doesn't have it. 

Edited by Derren

On 11/9/2021 at 11:13 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

Filler ingredients can be a man-made compound that does nothing to the human body. They have the filler ingredient just to fulfill the weight of the supplements and etc.

And yes it is all chemicals after being processed. Most supplements even protein shakes are consider processed food.

I am not saying we take the extreme end of strictly no supplements at all. I am someone who believes in moderation. Because it is true that some minerals or vitamins, our body can't produce it on our own or get it from current food source. So the only to get it is via supplements.

I think you are mixing things up a bit:

- everything is chemicals, whether processed or not. A carrot is chemicals, water is a chemical.
- of course supplements are processed, they are made in factories. Lots of food is processed and there is nothing wrong with it but of course it is important to eat a mix of fresh food too.

supplements should not be the sole basis for people to obtain the macros, vitamins and nutrients they need but they are a totally valid way for people to conveniently fill gaps and nothing to be afraid of.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:27 AM, Guest Wtf said:

I think you are mixing things up a bit:

- everything is chemicals, whether processed or not. A carrot is chemicals, water is a chemical.
- of course supplements are processed, they are made in factories. Lots of food is processed and there is nothing wrong with it but of course it is important to eat a mix of fresh food too.

supplements should not be the sole basis for people to obtain the macros, vitamins and nutrients they need but they are a totally valid way for people to conveniently fill gaps and nothing to be afraid of.

I think when he says chemicals, he means synthetic chemicals. And filler ingredients refer to mixing the active ingredient with other ingredients just to make up the weight; only when you read the label carefully do you realise that only a small percentage is the active ingredient that you actually want/need.

Totally agree that whole natural foods should be our main source of nutrients. Supplements are to make up for deficits or to boost up, with convenience. 

On 11/10/2021 at 8:42 AM, Derren said:

I think when he says chemicals, he means synthetic chemicals. And filler ingredients refer to mixing the active ingredient with other ingredients just to make up the weight; only when you read the label carefully do you realise that only a small percentage is the active ingredient that you actually want/need.

Totally agree that whole natural foods should be our main source of nutrients. Supplements are to make up for deficits or to boost up, with convenience. 

Thanks for helping me to clarify. Yes I do mean synthetic chemicals.

But I do find it amazing for “Guest wtf” to take on the view that everything is chemical - carrots, water… and so it is right to take chemicals?

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that there are many scammers out there, using ‘science’ to show / proof their products is beneficial. 

I just raise 1 example that I came across recently. 

Someone was trying to sell me some “water’ that is proprietary made to contain so and so… that will work like an energy drink and reverse aging and etc. And 1bottle of 1litre is a freaking S$20 and were recommended to drink it as our daily water needs. Or at least during or after when we exercise. They have research paper, they have numerous “athletes” giving testimonials on the difference it make for their training and etc. 

But if u dig deeper, the research paper was done by a lab that was own/affiliated by the company that sells the product. All the athletes u can’t seem to find them on any social media. 

And worst of it all, when I check on the review of the product, there were tons of negative reviews from reputable organisations and medical centre. 

So all I am saying is… do your research before investing your $$$ to such things.

This product is just water. And hope they use relatively clean water to serve. What if their water is tainted? OR it may not be water to begin with?

Once again, I am not anti-supplements. I am saying do ur research anddon’t be overly dependent on supplements. Take real food instead (as much as possible)

On 11/10/2021 at 8:42 AM, Derren said:

On 11/10/2021 at 11:48 AM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

Thanks for helping me to clarify. Yes I do mean synthetic chemicals.

But I do find it amazing for “Guest wtf” to take on the view that everything is chemical - carrots, water… and so it is right to take chemicals?

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that there are many scammers out there, using ‘science’ to show / proof their products is beneficial. 

I just raise 1 example that I came across recently. 

Someone was trying to sell me some “water’ that is proprietary made to contain so and so… that will work like an energy drink and reverse aging and etc. And 1bottle of 1litre is a freaking S$20 and were recommended to drink it as our daily water needs. Or at least during or after when we exercise. They have research paper, they have numerous “athletes” giving testimonials on the difference it make for their training and etc. 

But if u dig deeper, the research paper was done by a lab that was own/affiliated by the company that sells the product. All the athletes u can’t seem to find them on any social media. 

And worst of it all, when I check on the review of the product, there were tons of negative reviews from reputable organisations and medical centre. 

So all I am saying is… do your research before investing your $$$ to such things.

This product is just water. And hope they use relatively clean water to serve. What if their water is tainted? OR it may not be water to begin with?

Once again, I am not anti-supplements. I am saying do ur research anddon’t be overly dependent on supplements. Take real food instead (as much as possible)

Thanks for clarifying @Derren. Yes, I was being pedantic but we need to stop this ‘eek - chemicals’ way of describing things because it creates a wrong impression. Not all synthetic chemicals are bad, not all natural chemicals are good…. I totally agree that it is important to inform yourself with information from credible sources (look for peer reviewed studies, not marketing claims) on what you are putting into your body and that eating a balanced diet is the first and most important step. 

And also totally agree that there are a lot of scammers when it comes to fitness and health - be wary of anyone or anything making promises of quick fixes or telling you something that’s too good to be true.

back to the topic: when training over 40, make sure to take enough protein and have a balanced diet (everything possible in moderation but watch your overall calorie consumption).

The last point regarding having a balanced diet is the hardest of all which I feel for our age. 

I have a question here regarding does whey protein contribute to weight increase if I have taken 1 scoop instead of 2 for days I workout? 

I can see that my weight increases slowly over the 2 months. 

On 11/10/2021 at 1:07 PM, Guest Wtf said:

Thanks for clarifying @Derren. Yes, I was being pedantic but we need to stop this ‘eek - chemicals’ way of describing things because it creates a wrong impression. Not all synthetic chemicals are bad, not all natural chemicals are good…. I totally agree that it is important to inform yourself with information from credible sources (look for peer reviewed studies, not marketing claims) on what you are putting into your body and that eating a balanced diet is the first and most important step. 

And also totally agree that there are a lot of scammers when it comes to fitness and health - be wary of anyone or anything making promises of quick fixes or telling you something that’s too good to be true.

back to the topic: when training over 40, make sure to take enough protein and have a balanced diet (everything possible in moderation but watch your overall calorie consumption).

On 11/9/2021 at 12:50 PM, Derren said:

0.5-0.8g per pound of body weight is the recommended average amount of protein per day for a person who lifts regularly. (https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-source/files-for-resource-library/protein-intake-for-optimal-muscle-maintenance.pdf) You should be consuming about this amount every day, including rest days. As you rightly pointed out, protein synthesis lasts up to 48 hr, so a steady supply of protein would be required even on rest days.

I think excess calories is what you need to watch out for. In general, it is excess calories that gets stored as fat be it protein or carbs or fats. In fact, a higher percentage of proteins in your diet may help you feel more satiated and thus less likely to overeat. But do consider natural food sources first instead of automatically reaching for protein shakes.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:48 PM, Guest Wtf said:

exactly - sustained consumption of excess calories over time are what will cause you to gain weight.

if you are trying to bulk/gain, you need to have an excess of calories and have to accept that you may likely gain some fat while also gaining muscle - you can then cut the fat at the end by reducing calories.

for gaining or losing, protein consumption is important and should be the last thing you reduce. 

See above for answers to the question below 

On 11/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, camboy_xxx1 said:

The last point regarding having a balanced diet is the hardest of all which I feel for our age. 

I have a question here regarding does whey protein contribute to weight increase if I have taken 1 scoop instead of 2 for days I workout? 

I can see that my weight increases slowly over the 2 months. 

On 11/10/2021 at 1:07 PM, Guest Wtf said:

Haha… on the topics of calorie consumption is another topic that can be quite controversial. But let me say in the forefront I agree with you in that principle.

However, I get irritated by those who to the extend of counting calories to the last single digi labelled on the food label or the app. Or weighing to the exact gram of meat or nuts they eat.

For those interested, please note that all those food calories that are stated in nutritional labels or in those health apps… the actual calories can be with >30-40% discrepancy of the actual calories.

Reason is because, how those food products get their calories based on a system of averages and completely ignoring the complexity of individual digestion. What maybe 500 calories for me may only be 400 calories for u. Also the “table/system of average calories” were created more than 1 century ago (or longer).

Here’s some article for your reading for better understanding.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-food-manufacturers/

https://www.businessinsider.com/calorie-counts-arent-accurate-2013-7

Also, we also most of the time underestimate the calories we take in and overestimate of the calories out. 

So do I mean you ignore the calories intake/out entirely? No. What I am trying to say you don’t have to be overly concern if it is just 50-100 over or under as reflected in different apps or products label. And don’t have to be overly concern if you are about 100-300 calories over.   

On 11/10/2021 at 4:15 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

Haha… on the topics of calorie consumption is another topic that can be quite controversial. But let me say in the forefront I agree with you in that principle.

However, I get irritated by those who to the extend of counting calories to the last single digi labelled on the food label or the app. Or weighing to the exact gram of meat or nuts they eat.

For those interested, please note that all those food calories that are stated in nutritional labels or in those health apps… the actual calories can be with >30-40% discrepancy of the actual calories.

Reason is because, how those food products get their calories based on a system of averages and completely ignoring the complexity of individual digestion. What maybe 500 calories for me may only be 400 calories for u. Also the “table/system of average calories” were created more than 1 century ago (or longer).

Here’s some article for your reading for better understanding.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-food-manufacturers/

https://www.businessinsider.com/calorie-counts-arent-accurate-2013-7

Also, we also most of the time underestimate the calories we take in and overestimate of the calories out. 

So do I mean you ignore the calories intake/out entirely? No. What I am trying to say you don’t have to be overly concern if it is just 50-100 over or under as reflected in different apps or products label. And don’t have to be overly concern if you are about 100-300 calories over.   

agree - you need to find what works for me. For me, it is easiest if I stick to roughly the same foods five days out of seven and adapt as needed if I am looking to gain or lose. I know roughly the macros and calories in theory but they are not so important.

What does help me a lot is to weigh myself daily (in the morning, after peeing) and track the average gain or loss over time. People  shouldn’t get hung up if weight is up or down one day compared to the day before but should look more at the overall trend. 

Lively discussion!

Hope we can form a community of fitness and health enthusiasts and become the healthiest, fittest and friendliest generation of middle-aged SG men ever. Haha, how's that for a vision?

I also don't take the calorie numbers on a food label or fitness trackers, for that matter, too seriously. They are just estimates.

Anyway, @camboy_xxx1don't assume that weight gain is a bad thing. It could be mostly muscle gain! Especially since you have been working out consistently, and eating and sleeping well! 

Edited by Derren

On 11/10/2021 at 4:26 PM, Guest Wtf said:

What does help me a lot is to weigh myself daily (in the morning, after peeing) and track the average gain or loss over time. People  shouldn’t get hung up if weight is up or down one day compared to the day before but should look more at the overall trend. 

On 11/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, Derren said:

Anyway, @camboy_xxx1don't assume that weight gain is a bad thing. It could be mostly muscle gain! Especially since you have been working out consistently, and eating and sleeping well! 

For me measuring daily will feel like driving a bumper car… getting knock over. Haha. I took it every 2 weeks just to see how things are and if need to, make the necessary adjustment. And I take in early in the morning b4 breakfast and after I take my dump. IT can be as high as 500g diff. Haha

@camboy_xxx1 r u using those norm weighing machine? If yes, I would say don’t be too perturb of it going up or going down. Use the best objective measurement - look at urself in the mirror. Now if $$$ is not exactly an issue get a weighing machine that measure muscle mass, bone mass, fat mass and etc. So u can see where the increase is coming from. It is not cliniclly accurate but it gives u some point of reference. And u don’t exactly have to invest in an expensive one. I got a XiaoMi weighing machine and it cost ard $25+ From Shopee. 

On 11/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, Derren said:

Hope we can form a community of fitness and health enthusiasts and become the healthiest, fittest and friendliest generation of middle-aged SG men ever. Haha, how's that for a vision?

I would say is doable. But u will need to set some guidelines. Haha. I think 1st and foremost… agree to disagree… and respect others opinions or beliefs. Otherwise, it will be a challenging task to maintain the harmonious spirit.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:27 AM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

For me measuring daily will feel like driving a bumper car… getting knock over. Haha. I took it every 2 weeks just to see how things are and if need to, make the necessary adjustment. And I take in early in the morning b4 breakfast and after I take my dump. IT can be as high as 500g diff. Haha

@camboy_xxx1 r u using those norm weighing machine? If yes, I would say don’t be too perturb of it going up or going down. Use the best objective measurement - look at urself in the mirror. Now if $$$ is not exactly an issue get a weighing machine that measure muscle mass, bone mass, fat mass and etc. So u can see where the increase is coming from. It is not cliniclly accurate but it gives u some point of reference. And u don’t exactly have to invest in an expensive one. I got a XiaoMi weighing machine and it cost ard $25+ From Shopee. 

I would say is doable. But u will need to set some guidelines. Haha. I think 1st and foremost… agree to disagree… and respect others opinions or beliefs. Otherwise, it will be a challenging task to maintain the harmonious spirit.

I do use the xiaomi scale to measure my weight and body mass, but over the months it seems to be not that accurate, perhaps I have hit a plateau. Measuring daily is not a good thing after all, and I have stopped that. 

Anyway, I do feel my shirt sleeves are abit tighter and overall less fatigue in the day

On 11/12/2021 at 6:39 AM, camboy_xxx1 said:

I do use the xiaomi scale to measure my weight and body mass, but over the months it seems to be not that accurate, perhaps I have hit a plateau. Measuring daily is not a good thing after all, and I have stopped that. 

Anyway, I do feel my shirt sleeves are abit tighter and overall less fatigue in the day

I'd take the average commercial weighing scale's calculation of body fat percentage with a pinch of salt.

(https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/body-fat-scale-accuracy#:~:text=Body fat scales provide a,they are not very accurate.&text=In this study%2C the home,were off by about 34%.)

Weighing daily would make more sense if you take the average over each week. It's the overall trend that is more meaningful than the day to day fluctuations.

Yes, waist, chest etc measurements would be a better indicator. But I think the best indicator is your strength levels. If you are getting stronger at your lifts or your form is getting better, then it surely is a good indicator of progress 

Glad to hear you are progressing so well. Bravo!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.