Male HQ

Gym / Fitness / Health for age above 40

Derren

On 11/11/2021 at 10:27 AM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

I would say is doable. But u will need to set some guidelines. Haha. I think 1st and foremost… agree to disagree… and respect others opinions or beliefs. Otherwise, it will be a challenging task to maintain the harmonious spirit.

Totally agree. We all have different backgrounds, different personalities and different experiences. Our minds and bodies have unique characteristics and needs. Having diverse opinions is only to be expected, and should be respected and even celebrated. It's a real shame if we are still not mature and gracious enough to communicate, share ideas and opinions with respect and thoughtfulness at this age. Of course, the flip side is we should not be overly sensitive and judgemental. 

On 11/12/2021 at 9:20 AM, Derren said:

But I think the best indicator is your strength levels. If you are getting stronger at your lifts or your form is getting better, then it surely is a good indicator of progress 

This statement only hold true to a certain degree. When you share in this manner, some who are not so well-informed will take this as need to go heavy or aim to go heavy. It hold true when u are beginning. But after a while, how heavy do you want OR need to go? And because of this mindset, you set people in the gym always trying to go for PR… Personal Record going heavier and heavier..and this is where most people got themselves injured. And then mostly will gave up or worst is when some doctors tell them to stop going to the gym.

So I think it is safer when you look at things from a more subjectively-objective manner. As you see your body changing to the way you want it? Are you feeling good about yourself? OR more objectively is your medical report says that you are healthy?

Rehab Trainer & Sports Massage Therapist
49 173 90 Local Chinese. Whatsapp For Appt: 85338783

On 11/12/2021 at 10:28 AM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

This statement only hold true to a certain degree. When you share in this manner, some who are not so well-informed will take this as need to go heavy or aim to go heavy. It hold true when u are beginning. But after a while, how heavy do you want OR need to go? And because of this mindset, you set people in the gym always trying to go for PR… Personal Record going heavier and heavier..and this is where most people got themselves injured. And then mostly will gave up or worst is when some doctors tell them to stop going to the gym.

So I think it is safer when you look at things from a more subjectively-objective manner. As you see your body changing to the way you want it? Are you feeling good about yourself? OR more objectively is your medical report says that you are healthy?

Thanks for the corollary. Certainly, the first rule is to do no harm to yourself. If you injure yourself,  you might have to stop training, and all your efforts would go to waste! 

There are several ways to progress in your lifts. Adding weights is only one way. You can shorten the rest interval time between sets, vary the tempo, use a different angle/variation etc. And even if your form gets better and stricter, that's also a very good form of progress.

For the majority of us, there is always something to improve! That's what progressive overload is about. But never forget the first rule, as @StockFit-SportsMassagepointed out.

And there will be days when we simply feel weaker, maybe due to poor sleep or more stress at work. Be aware and accept that we can't always be in top form. Just lighten the load and/or do less for that day. In fact, I personally have been feeling weaker at the gym for the past week. Haha, hope next week will feel better!

Edited by Derren

On 8/10/2021 at 10:24 PM, Derren said:

What are some issues relating to gym/fitness/health that men above 40 are concerned about?

Recovery from strenuous sports (such as long distance running / swimming) remains constant for me past 40

Stamina still ok but speed has drastically dropped for me. 

Eg, in my 30s, a 10km run takes me 53 mins. These days, it’s 1hr 10mins

1,500m front call used to take me 28 mins at my peak when I was in my uni triathlon team. I now take 45mins. 

And if I so much as to put on weight, it takes me 6 months to go back down to my ideal weight by consciously eating fewer calories and mixing up my fitness routine. 

On 11/13/2021 at 3:15 PM, Blogger Adam said:

1,500m front call

Sorry trying to know what is this?

And if I so much as to put on weight, it takes me 6 months to go back down

Not sure how much weight you put on, for me this I totally agree. I used to be able to lose quite fast like 2-3kg in a month so long as I exercise about 3-4x a week (when I was in my early 40s). Now, I hv been back to my exercise regularly, each time burning about 700+ calories each session, for the last 74 days, I only dropped about 2.5kg. I controlled what I eat by mindful eating but still... I guess I need to think about going for the long run... instead of relative immediate results.

Recovery from strenuous sports (such as long distance running / swimming) remains constant for me past 40

Stamina still ok but speed has drastically dropped for me. 

Eg, in my 30s, a 10km run takes me 53 mins. These days, it’s 1hr 10mins

1,500m front call used to take me 28 mins at my peak when I was in my uni triathlon team. I now take 45mins. 

And if I so much as to put on weight, it takes me 6 months to go back down to my ideal weight by consciously eating fewer calories and mixing up my fitness routine. 

Wow, triathlete! Sounds like you have been sporty your whole life. Your body is probably seasoned to all the stresses of exercise, so recovery is not much of an issue.

Yes it comes as no surprise that we lose speed as we age. I wonder if sacropenia and increasing tendon stiffness are factors. 

Do you have a regular weight training routine for your lower body? How about flexibility? Hope these can help!

On 11/13/2021 at 6:13 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

1,500 m front call

front crawl? or what is more commonly called freestyle

Edited by Derren

On 11/13/2021 at 8:44 PM, Derren said:

front crawl? or what is more commonly called freestyle

Got it.

On 11/13/2021 at 8:44 PM, Derren said:

I wonder if sacropenia and increasing tendon stiffness are factors. 

No it doesn't for someone who exercises regularly. It is just that as we age we loses something (some sort of proteins) in our muscles. I studied it b4, but forgotten what's the name. When we are young we have an abundance of them such as in the age of 17-25. That was when we are our peak. As we age, we loses them, unfortunately. So it is important to train your power, speed and agility as we age to slow the process of losing them. Maybe I should go dig it up?

On 11/13/2021 at 9:24 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

Got it.

No it doesn't for someone who exercises regularly. It is just that as we age we loses something (some sort of proteins) in our muscles. I studied it b4, but forgotten what's the name. When we are young we have an abundance of them such as in the age of 17-25. That was when we are our peak. As we age, we loses them, unfortunately. So it is important to train your power, speed and agility as we age to slow the process of losing them. Maybe I should go dig it up?

We all lose muscle tissue as we age. Exercise slows it down, with resistance/strength training more so than cardio/endurance type training. 

Anyway, while I can understand what the timings mean to a sportsman, to me, the fact that @Blogger Adamis still running triathlons probably puts him among the fittest in our age group! Your stamina and endurance must be through the roof! Please share with us your experiences.

Edited by Derren

On 11/13/2021 at 6:13 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

Not sure how much weight you put on, for me this I totally agree. I used to be able to lose quite fast like 2-3kg in a month so long as I exercise about 3-4x a week (when I was in my early 40s). Now, I hv been back to my exercise regularly, each time burning about 700+ calories each session, for the last 74 days, I only dropped about 2.5kg. I controlled what I eat by mindful eating but still... I guess I need to think about going for the long run... instead of relative immediate results.

I think as you approach your ideal weight, it gets harder and harder to lose the final few kilos. The 2.5 kg loss is already quite an achievement!  Jiayou! 

I wish I was half as motivated as you all in terms of losing weight. Haha, my diet is not fantastic as I eat out every meal and I only do minimal cardio, barely enough to keep the weight off. Haha.

Edited by Derren

On 11/14/2021 at 9:15 AM, Derren said:

I think as you approach your ideal weight, it gets harder and harder to lose the final few kilos. The 2.5 kg loss is already quite an achievement!  Jiayou! 

I wish I was half as motivated as you all in terms of losing weight. Haha, my diet is not fantastic as I eat out every meal and I only do minimal cardio, barely enough to keep the weight off. Haha.

Thanks. But I am far from my ideal weight. haha. I am about 10kg away when I was in my early 40s abt 82-83kg. Covid and all its restrictions has been really bad for me. I am typically an lazy person. haha. As my friends say I need all the stars to align than I will go and exercise. If 1 star is not align, I will not go. haha. He is actually quite accurate. haha.

Anyway, just another point for discussion... based on my height, my ideal weight is 65-70kg. BUT my muscle mass measured by multiple machines is already about 63-65kg. So is it possible for me to be even near my so call "ideal" weight? If I use my ideal weight as 70kg, less my muscle mass (63kg) and bone mass (3.8kg) = I can only be with 3.2kg. 3.2kg of 70kg is only 4.5% of body fats. This percentage is when bodybuilders are on stage. And no one can survive with that % of fat mass.

So if I do a reverse calculation: If I want my %bf be 18%, muscle mass is 63kg, bone mass is 3.8kg. Thus my actual ideal weight should be = 81kg.

So to those reading and are not familiar, so don't be fooled by the so-call ideal weight. Take good measurements of your weight, those that measure muscle mas and fat mass. Otherwise, you will be forever disappointed and/or get into some serious medical conditions if you are only basing on your "ideal" weight as your goal. 

Edited by StockFit-SportsMassage

On 11/14/2021 at 11:51 AM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

Thanks. But I am far from my ideal weight. haha. I am about 10kg away when I was in my early 40s abt 82-83kg. Covid and all its restrictions has been really bad for me. I am typically an lazy person. haha. As my friends say I need all the stars to align than I will go and exercise. If 1 star is not align, I will not go. haha. He is actually quite accurate. haha.

Anyway, just another point for discussion... based on my height, my ideal weight is 65-70kg. BUT my muscle mass measured by multiple machines is already about 63-65kg. So is it possible for me to be even near my so call "ideal" weight? If I use my ideal weight as 70kg, less my muscle mass (63kg) and bone mass (3.8kg) = I can only be with 3.2kg. 3.2kg of 70kg is only 4.5% of body fats. This percentage is when bodybuilders are on stage. And no one can survive with that % of fat mass.

So if I do a reverse calculation: If I want my %bf be 18%, muscle mass is 63kg, bone mass is 3.8kg. Thus my actual ideal weight should be = 81kg.

So to those reading and are not familiar, so don't be fooled by the so-call ideal weight. Take good measurements of your weight, those that measure muscle mas and fat mass. Otherwise, you will be forever disappointed and/or get into some serious medical conditions if you are only basing on your "ideal" weight as your goal. 

How did you arrive at 65-70 kg as your ideal weight?

Sounds like 81 kg makes more sense as a target weight for you to work towards. 

Edited by Derren

On 11/14/2021 at 1:42 PM, Derren said:

How did you arrive at 65-70 kg as your ideal weight?

Sounds like 81 kg makes more sense as a target weight for you to work towards. 

From all the apps, websites that advises you based on your height and age, even when I go for my health screening.

Yes, I am aiming to go towards 85kg and below...

On 11/14/2021 at 1:56 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

From all the apps, websites that advises you based on your height and age, even when I go for my health screening.

Yes, I am aiming to go towards 85kg and below...

I suspect they are going by Body Mass Index (BMI). BMI does not take into account that muscle mass is heavier than fat, so that makes it a poor indicator for muscular, bulkier guys. (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215)

So if 85 kg were the target, then I wasn't that off to say you only have a few kilos left to shed! Jiayou!!

Edited by Derren

On 11/14/2021 at 9:15 AM, Derren said:

Diet can actually be controlled even if eating out every meal. For me as a short and small size vegetarian guy i practically go to the same vegetarian stall every day for lunch when i am working. I always choose to eat brown rice as it is a much healthier option. I also told the stall owner to always give me lesser rice since i am shorter and smaller size than others and a full cup of rice is only suitable for the average height or taller people. I normally choose one or two vegetable dish and egg dish for protein. Fried food stuff i almost never touch and only eat once in a very rare blue moon. Those mock meat i also eat very less. Those brown/red rice digest very slowly and helps you stay full for a very long time. Even if you eat out you can also control the quantity and quality of food that you can eat. Stop eating any more if you feel full. The good habit of not wasting food is actually not good for the body. As long as you can control and know how to choose what you eat, eating outside will never be a problem.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:51 AM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

based on your measurements you have taken, what is your average body fat percentage? And what is your height?

On 11/14/2021 at 5:27 PM, yoyo74 said:

Diet can actually be controlled even if eating out every meal. For me as a short and small size vegetarian guy i practically go to the same vegetarian stall every day for lunch when i am working. I always choose to eat brown rice as it is a much healthier option. I also told the stall owner to always give me lesser rice since i am shorter and smaller size than others and a full cup of rice is only suitable for the average height or taller people. I normally choose one or two vegetable dish and egg dish for protein. Fried food stuff i almost never touch and only eat once in a very rare blue moon. Those mock meat i also eat very less. Those brown/red rice digest very slowly and helps you stay full for a very long time. Even if you eat out you can also control the quantity and quality of food that you can eat. Stop eating any more if you feel full. The good habit of not wasting food is actually not good for the body. As long as you can control and know how to choose what you eat, eating outside will never be a problem.

So much discipline!! Thank you for inspiring me, I'll try again!

First I need to eat less carb. I think this will make the biggest difference as I am quite sensitive to carbs.  But I love the earthy taste of brown rice. I will ask for a smaller portion, especially on days I do not work out.

Secondly, I need to order fewer fried stuff, even the lightly fried ones. The oil used isn't very healthy.

And I will cut down on the side order, like a popiah or rojak or a hot dessert, lol.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:20 PM, Guest Wtf said:

based on your measurements you have taken, what is your average body fat percentage? And what is your height?

U mean my current ave %bf? it is about 33%. It is high I know.

My height is 172cm

On 11/14/2021 at 9:20 PM, Derren said:

And I will cut down on the side order, like a popiah or rojak or a hot dessert, lol.

these should be the 1st to work on. Popiah maybe still ok. Rojak or a hot dessert is a no-no.

U can do it!

On 11/14/2021 at 10:13 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

these should be the 1st to work on. Popiah maybe still ok. Rojak or a hot dessert is a no-no.

U can do it!

Yes sir I'll do it!

Haha hot desserts like red bean soup are actually very nutritious. The sugar content may be slightly high, but I think 2-3 times a week is still reasonable

Rojak sauce with peanuts has a lot of calories. It shall be an occasional treat, maybe once a month kind, when I feel that I can afford the calories. Same for popiah.

Sometimes after gym, I will feel ravenous. Because I only eat two meals a day, one plate of cai png just doesn't feel enough and I'll order another plate of noodles. Lol. 

My goal is to cut 4 kg of fats. I will be contented if i can lose this much, even if I don't see abs. I am aware from past experience that if I cut too much my face will start looking very gaunt. Maybe I'll restate my goal is to cut about 1 - 1.5 inches from my waistline. By 1 Mar 2022.

Edited by Derren

Longevity Tips

(gleaned from various sources)

For a long, healthy life:

1. Eat less. Restrict your caloric intake. Fast occasionally if you can.

2. Get out of breath for at least 10 mins a few times a week.

3. Keep developing the large muscles of the lower body to help maintain testosterone production, and also to prevent falls in old age.

4. Eat a mostly plant-based diet.

5. Cut down on sugar intake.

6. Eat more proteins as you age.

7. Keep socially active.

Any more tips? Let's collate into a huge list and we can try incorporating some of these suggestions into our lifestyle.

Edited by Derren

On 11/5/2021 at 8:33 AM, Derren said:

WHR (Waist to Height Ratio) is said to be a more accurate measure of health than BMI ratio. Simply divide your waist measurement by your height.

Aim for a waistline that keeps your WHR between 0.4 to 0.5. 

What's your WHR? 

I never heard of Waist to Height Ratio before. Thanks for this info

On 11/16/2021 at 2:29 AM, hal2 said:

I never heard of Waist to Height Ratio before. Thanks for this info

Hey @hal2, no problem, glad to share!

For the past year I have developed an interest in reading up and finding out more about health and fitness. The internet makes it so much easier to find information but I am also trying to organise the deluge of info, so that I can focus on what I feel is practical for my lifestyle. Hope to gain more insights from our community. So do feel free to share too!

Edited by Derren

On 11/15/2021 at 8:31 PM, 1Fliegendlehrer said:

I am 45.

Certified Swim Coach

Certified Personal Trainer

(Freelance part-time)

Telegram me @BrainySmurf if you want to talk about gym swim jog health and fitness. Can also connect and be friends to exercise together or just chat up

Welcome @1Fliegendlehrer. Very impressive qualifications (and dp, if I may say so)! Please share your fitness and health insights with us!

I am thinking of setting up a telegram chat group for "Fitness and Health Enthusiasts", open to men aged 35 and above. I envision it to be a group which supports one another on the fitness/health journey and meets for exercise/healthy meals (subject to prevailing SMM). 

What do you all think?

On 11/16/2021 at 11:18 AM, Derren said:

Welcome @1Fliegendlehrer. Very impressive qualifications (and dp, if I may say so)! Please share your fitness and health insights with us!

I am thinking of setting up a telegram chat group for "Fitness and Health Enthusiasts", open to men aged 35 and above. I envision it to be a group which supports one another on the fitness/health journey and meets for exercise/healthy meals (subject to prevailing SMM). 

What do you all think?

Count me in

On 11/16/2021 at 11:06 AM, Derren said:

Hey @hal2, no problem, glad to share!

For the past year I have developed an interest in reading up and finding out more about health and fitness. The internet makes it so much easier to find information but I am also trying to organise the deluge of info, so that I can focus on what I feel is practical for my lifestyle. Hope to gain more insights from our community. So do feel free to share too!

Thanks Derren for the warm welcome. 

I am 48, overweight hahaha with the WHR at 0.59. (Waist 103cm, Height 175). Since the pandemic started last year lost my old job and now doing manual stuff to get by, which is ok to me, just no time and too exhausted to exercise (yet the manual labour at work somehow doesn't feel like exercise 😂).

I've been using YouTube to do some exercise. You're right about the deluge of info, it's the same on YouTube, so I just pick a video and if I like it, stick to it for a couple of weeks. I've been following this guy Jordan Yeoh Fitness, he's really good and his videos easy and pleasant to follow, plus doesn't hurt he's nice eye candy too 😋😂

On 11/16/2021 at 11:24 PM, hal2 said:

Thanks Derren for the warm welcome. 

I am 48, overweight hahaha with the WHR at 0.59. (Waist 103cm, Height 175). Since the pandemic started last year lost my old job and now doing manual stuff to get by, which is ok to me, just no time and too exhausted to exercise (yet the manual labour at work somehow doesn't feel like exercise 😂).

I've been using YouTube to do some exercise. You're right about the deluge of info, it's the same on YouTube, so I just pick a video and if I like it, stick to it for a couple of weeks. I've been following this guy Jordan Yeoh Fitness, he's really good and his videos easy and pleasant to follow, plus doesn't hurt he's nice eye candy too 😋😂

Haha, nice, it's awesome that you are working out to youtube videos. I've followed Jordan Yeoh's videos too during CB; loved having a choice different levels of challenges according to how i felt that day. 

Wow, manual labour + youtube workouts, that's super active! If you keep at it, I am sure you will see amazing results in your physique soon. How much weight/how many inches have you lost? Do take photos to keep a record of the progress. It will keep you motivated when you see your progress over the months. How's the diet? If I were to do manual labour, I think my appetite would be so hard to control!

Edited by Derren

Dear friends

Please join us at Fitness and Health Over 35 (FHOT) on telegram chat!!

Mission: To form a community of fitness and health enthusiasts who will support each other on his fitness and health journey and bond over a common love of fitness and health.

Vision: To be the healthiest and fitness generation ever!

Expectations:

1. Be 35 and above.

2. Mature and respectful communication.

3. Keen interest to learn/share about health, fitness, wellness and longevity issues.

PM me please!

Edited by Derren

On 11/15/2021 at 9:50 AM, Derren said:

Longevity Tips

(gleaned from various sources)

For a long, healthy life:

3. Keep developing the large muscles of the lower body to help maintain testosterone production, and also to prevent falls in old age.

7. Keep socially active.

Any more tips? Let's collate into a huge list and we can try incorporating some of these suggestions into our lifestyle.

Tick. I am always trying to slim down and will weight myself almost everyday so as to make sure my weight wont increase too much and if increases i will get panic and will decrease my intake a lot. Maybe just 2 small hard boil eggs with some soya sauce for dinner

Tick. When running especially ending part i will sprint full power and definitely out of breath. Pull up i also will out of breath cause i need to hold on my breath to gain more energy to push to the limit. 

Tick. I always have weekly runs and do lots of core exercises i guess that counts for lower body

Tick. I am a ovo lacto vegetarian for the past 10 years and will continue this diet until my death.

Tick. Nowadays most of my drinks i choose less sugar or 50% sugar when buying bbt.

Tick. I eat lots of eggs, nuts, beans, seeds and those are lots of proteins.

7. Keep socially active.

Tick. I always find and bring new people to my running group to make friends while staying fit together. I am always delighted to keep adding more friends non stop.

All ticks i guess i got more chances to live a longer life. Some times i do feel i can live a century old with the current health status i am in while looking at myself and others health statuses lol

Edited by yoyo74

On 8/10/2021 at 10:24 PM, Derren said:

What are some issues relating to gym/fitness/health that men above 40 are concerned about?

Always concerned about tearing some tissues/joints in case body is not warm. Not longer in those years where I can jump straight into any workout/exercises without some basic warmup. Also concerned about the body posture/alignment due to degenerating joints/tissues in the body.  

On 11/23/2021 at 5:01 PM, Undead78 said:

Always concerned about tearing some tissues/joints in case body is not warm. Not longer in those years where I can jump straight into any workout/exercises without some basic warmup. Also concerned about the body posture/alignment due to degenerating joints/tissues in the body.  

Yes indeed. That's why it's very important to warm the body up with dynamic stretches and light cardio before going into the workout proper.

Flexibility and mobility exercises are key to keep our bodies supple for good alignment. And we need to ensure our opposing muscles are balanced. For example, an overly developed front shoulder and chest but underdeveloped upper back may result in hunched shoulders.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:17 PM, Derren said:

Yes indeed. That's why it's very important to warm the body up with dynamic stretches and light cardio before going into the workout proper.

Flexibility and mobility exercises are key to keep our bodies supple for good alignment. And we need to ensure our opposing muscles are balanced. For example, an overly developed front shoulder and chest but underdeveloped upper back may result in hunched shoulders.

Yes, you pointed out something important - Balanced muscles. Agonist vs antagonist muscles.. 

On 11/21/2021 at 5:55 PM, yoyo74 said:

Tick. I am always trying to slim down and will weight myself almost everyday so as to make sure my weight wont increase too much and if increases i will get panic and will decrease my intake a lot. Maybe just 2 small hard boil eggs with some soya sauce for dinner

Tick. When running especially ending part i will sprint full power and definitely out of breath. Pull up i also will out of breath cause i need to hold on my breath to gain more energy to push to the limit. 

Tick. I always have weekly runs and do lots of core exercises i guess that counts for lower body

Tick. I am a ovo lacto vegetarian for the past 10 years and will continue this diet until my death.

Tick. Nowadays most of my drinks i choose less sugar or 50% sugar when buying bbt.

Tick. I eat lots of eggs, nuts, beans, seeds and those are lots of proteins.

7. Keep socially active.

Tick. I always find and bring new people to my running group to make friends while staying fit together. I am always delighted to keep adding more friends non stop.

All ticks i guess i got more chances to live a longer life. Some times i do feel i can live a century old with the current health status i am in while looking at myself and others health statuses lol

That's really awesome!!!

I have no doubt you are going to live to a very ripe old age if you continue your super healthy lifestyle.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:22 PM, Undead78 said:

Yes, you pointed out something important - Balanced muscles. Agonist vs antagonist muscles.. 

If your dp is anything to go by, you look in fantastic shape! Please keep it up!

I think postural imbalances are due to our skeletal characteristics (e.g. scoliosis) and lifestyle habits, like constantly using one side of the body more than the other for sport. Doing some unilateral workout will help. Where possible, use dumbbells to make each side work equally hard. 

Hope our generation can be active well into our senior years. It will be great if we can still do recreational sport and outdoor activities even past 70! But that will require us to invest the time and effort now. 

On 11/28/2021 at 10:01 AM, Derren said:

If your dp is anything to go by, you look in fantastic shape! Please keep it up!

I think postural imbalances are due to our skeletal characteristics (e.g. scoliosis) and lifestyle habits, like constantly using one side of the body more than the other for sport. Doing some unilateral workout will help. Where possible, use dumbbells to make each side work equally hard. 

Hope our generation can be active well into our senior years. It will be great if we can still do recreational sport and outdoor activities even past 70! But that will require us to invest the time and effort now. 

Thank you very much. 

Also, I think some people don’t train opposite muscles enough. E.g Biceps vs Triceps, Quadriceps vs Hamstrings, Pectorals vs Trapezius. Result is that the more trained muscles pull the opposing muscles leading to weird postures, or extremely limited range of motion.  

On 11/29/2021 at 12:53 AM, Undead78 said:

Thank you very much. 

Also, I think some people don’t train opposite muscles enough. E.g Biceps vs Triceps, Quadriceps vs Hamstrings, Pectorals vs Trapezius. Result is that the more trained muscles pull the opposing muscles leading to weird postures, or extremely limited range of motion.  

We have a tendency to favour the muscles we can see in the mirror. That's why it's better to stick to a routine rather than go by feel. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, StockFit-SportsMassage said:

ultimately, rest/sleep is crucial at our age. I heard about the reservatrol few years back. And yup super skeptical. If I need that I will just drink wine instead. Haha. 

anyway when it comes to supplements, always do your research. Read authentic sources for reviews. If they put some (unknown) university/research lab has done research on it. I urged you to read the research paper and find out who funded it. If the company funded the research then, the results is very much likely to be skewed to what the company wants them to say. 

"crucial at our age"?  If you tell me your age where rest is crucial,  I might laugh.  Sleep is crucial at any age,  but rest is important... after death.  :lol:

Resveratrol seems to be healthy, but not essential.  The amount in wine is minute, not worth considering.   The best wine is NO wine.

You are wise to be skeptical about supplement quality and efficacy.  I was fooled recently by buying some praised NMN, which turned out to not having any of that. 

On 11/16/2021 at 5:42 PM, Derren said:

Haha, nice, it's awesome that you are working out to youtube videos. I've followed Jordan Yeoh's videos too during CB; loved having a choice different levels of challenges according to how i felt that day. 

Wow, manual labour + youtube workouts, that's super active! If you keep at it, I am sure you will see amazing results in your physique soon. How much weight/how many inches have you lost? Do take photos to keep a record of the progress. It will keep you motivated when you see your progress over the months. How's the diet? If I were to do manual labour, I think my appetite would be so hard to control!

From what I read, you seem to have a very clever approach to fitness.  So maybe...  maybe I could convince you into doing some research into fasting.

I may have become a pest here at BW because of my preaching about the benefits of fasting.  I have always been in top shape and good strength, convinced of the dogma of eating many small meals during the day,  to "not run out of energy".   Recently I have been reading about fasting, and my conviction has completely changed.  A month ago I took the courage of fasting for an entire day.  Amazingly, after a few hours my interest in food faded away.  Then I fasted for 3 days (water only),  and I never got hungry.  I was concerned, but nothing bad happened.   Now for several weeks I have changed to intermittent fasting,  16 hours of fast and 8 hours of eating 3 meals. With very little effort I can spend the fasting time without touching any snack.  I'm surprised of how easy I have lost my addiction to snacking.  I am planning to reduce my meals to twice a day, perhaps once a day sometimes.  

I keep going to the gym four times a week,  twice for upper body weights + aerobics, twice for lower body weight exercises. And I am doing this early in the morning on an empty stomach.  It works great!  After fasting for 15 hours I don't notice any drop in energy.   The "gurus" of fasting recommend to exercise and do other strenuous work during fasting!  Because...  amazingly... during fasting the body is still being fed by our fat reserves.  It is like the body is a hybrid, able to run on two fuels:  glucose while we digest the food we eat,  and fat when there is no digestion and no added glucose from it. It changes from one fuel to the other automatically and imperceptibly.  In less than two years I will be 80 years old and I plan to continue with this exercising and nutrition scheme beyond this age and hopefully for another decade. 

So if you are simply above 40 and not a senior,  you should not have any problems remaining active and strong and preserving a slim figure. And when you are a senior, you should not have any problems either.  :) 

Edited by Steve5380

On 11/28/2021 at 8:13 PM, Derren said:

We have a tendency to favour the muscles we can see in the mirror. That's why it's better to stick to a routine rather than go by feel. 

On 11/29/2021 at 8:59 AM, begleitung said:

I see. 

You may see, but not completely.   If you follow @Derren's principle, you will never exercise the muscles of your heart and lungs.  :lol:

On 1/6/2022 at 10:59 AM, Steve5380 said:

From what I read, you seem to have a very clever approach to fitness.  So maybe...  maybe I could convince you into doing some research into fasting.

I may have become a pest here at BW because of my preaching about the benefits of fasting.  I have always been in top shape and good strength, convinced of the dogma of eating many small meals during the day,  to "not run out of energy".   Recently I have been reading about fasting, and my conviction has completely changed.  A month ago I took the courage of fasting for an entire day.  Amazingly, after a few hours my interest in food faded away.  Then I fasted for 3 days (water only),  and I never got hungry.  I was concerned, but nothing bad happened.   Now for several weeks I have changed to intermittent fasting,  16 hours of fast and 8 hours of eating 3 meals. With very little effort I can spend the fasting time without touching any snack.  I'm surprised of how easy I have lost my addiction to snacking.  I am planning to reduce my meals to twice a day, perhaps once a day sometimes.  

I keep going to the gym four times a week,  twice for upper body weights + aerobics, twice for lower body weight exercises. And I am doing this early in the morning on an empty stomach.  It works great!  After fasting for 15 hours I don't notice any drop in energy.   The "gurus" of fasting recommend to exercise and do other strenuous work during fasting!  Because...  amazingly... during fasting the body is still being fed by our fat reserves.  It is like the body is a hybrid, able to run on two fuels:  glucose while we digest the food we eat,  and fat when there is no digestion and no added glucose from it. It changes from one fuel to the other automatically and imperceptibly.  In less than two years I will be 80 years old and I plan to continue with this exercising and nutrition scheme beyond this age and hopefully for another decade. 

So if you are simply above 40 and not a senior,  you should not have any problems remaining active and strong and preserving a slim figure. And when you are a senior, you should not have any problems either.  :) 

Hi Steve

Thanks for the affirmation and sharing of your experiences.

(By the way if you look at the list of longevity tips I posted earlier, you will find that the first point is about caloric restriction / fasting)

Yes I happened to have come across many youtube clips on the benefits of fasting (autophagy etc) and I must say I too am a "believer"! But not much of a practitioner though, haha! I only do intermittent fasting and am not strict about it. I just skip breakfast most days, that's about it. Some day soon, I shall find the motivation to try a 3-day long water fast.  

I have worked out in a fasted stated before and yes I, too, felt fine. But there may be some who could feel dizzy or whose performance may be affected in some way. So it's important to monitor yourself.

Glad you are exercising so well! A very good example that one can live a very active lifestyle in the senior years. I have no doubt you have many decades of health span ahead of you to enjoy! 

Edited by Derren

On 1/6/2022 at 11:18 AM, Steve5380 said:

You may see, but not completely.   If you follow @Derren's principle, you will never exercise the muscles of your heart and lungs.  :lol:

Huh?

Anyway the heart and lungs come under cardiovascular fitness, which are best exercised not through resistance training but through aerobic exercise.

On 1/6/2022 at 1:32 AM, Derren said:

Huh?

Anyway the heart and lungs come under cardiovascular fitness, which are best exercised not through resistance training but through aerobic exercise.

I was joking!  Since we don't "see" our heart and lungs in the mirror.  😄.  And yes, they can be exercised only aerobically, the cardiovascular way.

• 3 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.