Male HQ

Speed difference between mesh & traditional routers

tiemeup

My pc is currently connected directly through lan to the main hub of my mesh router (d-link covr 2202), and I noticed that the speed I get is significantly lower than when I connect to a traditional router (also a d-link router provided by starhub previously).

Does anyone experience a similar issue when switching from a traditional router to a mesh router? Is there even a modicum of truth that a mesh router isn't as "powerful" as a traditional router?

For that reason, I've been thinking for quite some time now about getting the synology rt2600ac as the main router and a synology mr2200ac as the satellite. Anyone has any experience to share, or any other recommendation to provide? I've been using the d-link covr for a few years now and honestly I've been quite underwhelmed by it. It is...reliable, I give it that, but the web and app interface are surprisingly limited and I like to have the option of messing around with settings and create problems that I have no idea got there in the first place

I haven't seen the need to switch to a mesh system as I found that traditional routers serve what I need.

I also think it will depends on your usage. I have not used D-link routers/mesh system before as I usually stick to Asus routers (had used 4-5 different models from them).

They are generally very stable, and the Asus web interface are quite comprehensive as well.

Asus router also gives you the option to "mesh" additional Asus routers if you need a mesh system.

Recently switched to a  Xiaomi AX3600 router (also able to mesh), which gives me around 520Mbps D, 450Mbps U on my 1Gbps plan. So far quite stable as well.

For me, I run Deco's M5 Mesh WiFi network in my home because it can completely blanket my whole home without any dead spots for a very affordable price. It's a new, 3-room BTO flat, so everywhere has high-speeds of around 300-600Mbps on average. I do ethernet-wire up my home so that's an added bonus of stability and speed.

That being said, the first thing I usually inform people when they're running any form of Internet speed test is that it is neither a good or consistent and representative result. There are multiple various factors that can affect Internet speed; the server being tested might be busy, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) might be re-allocating your 1Gbps bandwidth, or incorrect/unoptimised setup of your network. 

On top of that, every company manufacturers, designs, and engineers the Mesh network to work in what they believe is the best choice- which means every system is different in some way even though they set out to achieve the same goal- good WiFi coverage. 

There is some, but not necessarily the full "truth" that Mesh routers are "weaker" than a traditional router. Fundamentally speaking, when you tear everything down to their bare minimum, they're all using the same hardware. What's different is the amount of power that a router may demand. And well, there's only so companies can do to overcome the laws of physics when transmitting WiFi over spaces and brick walls. 

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.