Male HQ

Singapore NUS webinar: Talk of a LONGEVITY EXPERT

Steve5380

I wasn't expecting Singapore to be interested in longevity,  but I found this NSU video where famous longevity expert David Sinclair was interviewed:

It is amazing the popularity gained by this PhD scientist from Harvard Medical School.  I have seen many of his videos, but this called my attention because it is from the NUS School of Medicine,  and so it may deserve some extra credibility by you Singaporeans  :) 

What Sinclair proposes has much credibility with me.  I am amazed at how unsuccessfully old age has taken hold of me.  At 78 y.o. I should have multiple chronic illnesses and increasing disabilities that limit my life style.  But I have none of that, my life style is only limited now by the pandemic.  I have no disabilities, no arthritis, no pains, my knees are perfect, my strength is good, I practice a martial art with people much younger than me.  I find that my experience confirms the preaching of the longevity experts,  at least... up to 78 years of age. I don't know yet about the future, but what I hear from David Sinclair gives me confidence that I am on the right track. 

I may appear in this forum as an egocentric bragger and boaster of how great I am with my eternal youth, blah, blah, blah.  But I know how insignificant I am, and I have been drawn to this attitude by so many cases of fellow gays who are afraid of old age and who, not yet close to middle age, feel that the best of their lives is behind them.  I want to personally give testimonial that we can live our senior years in good health and that they can be one of the happiest periods in life.

Today I received Sinclair's latest book "Lifespan" that I had ordered on Amazon, and I am rushing through it.  It is an easy reading and I find many of the traditional advice for longevity, like good near-vegetarian nutrition, plenty of exercise to rise the heart rate to close to its maximum, weight lifting to stimulate muscle growth, good sleep and avoidance of stress, all practices that are nothing new and that I have been doing.

But I am learning of interesting new actions that may improve longevity by taking the body out of its comfort zone, like:

- Fasting.  Calorie restriction, food deprivation that comes short of starvation.  Periodic fasting.  I'm planning to skip dinner tonight already...  :lol:

- The Cold.  It may trigger a defensive response by the body that can enhance longevity.  I took my first cold shower I can remember, and I had to do it very slowly resisting some panic, breathing deeply to calm down my racing heart, but it left a feeling of...health!   I am looking forward to the cooler weather and being outside freezing in the cold.   (this may be difficult to do in Singapore, ha ha)

David Sinclair's appearance does not represent his age of older uncle, at the beginning of his 50s.  Maybe he practices what he preaches.  His research into ways to REVERSE aging could be groundbreaking.  He seems to have found confirmation of this in his aging father.

I think that for us gays the goal to extend our longevity is a smart use of time and a source of optimism.  :thumb:

On 9/29/2021 at 3:25 AM, Steve5380 said:

I am amazed at how unsuccessfully old age has taken hold of me.  At 78 y.o. I should have multiple chronic illnesses and increasing disabilities that limit my life style.  But I have none of that, my life style is only limited now by the pandemic.  I have no disabilities, no arthritis, no pains, my knees are perfect, my strength is good, I practice a martial art with people much younger than me.  I find that my experience confirms the preaching of the longevity experts,  at least... up to 78 years of age.

Once again you assume everyone should follow your guidelines, most of which means staying at home all the time apart from a visit to the gym and the supermarket. Most people are far more gregarious and still live to ripe old ages. China's former leader Deng Xiao-ping lived to 92 despite living a vastly tougher life than you have enjoyed - he had no infirmities and he smoked at least two packs of cigarettes daily.

Oh, and by the way, my aunt has turned 93 and has - and never has had - none of the ailments you have listed. She gardens most days, visits her son and his wife who live nearby and has a very active life not rooted to a Herman Miller chair. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:37 PM, InBangkok said:

Once again you assume everyone should follow your guidelines, most of which means staying at home all the time apart from a visit to the gym and the supermarket. Most people are far more gregarious and still live to ripe old ages. China's former leader Deng Xiao-ping lived to 92 despite living a vastly tougher life than you have enjoyed - he had no infirmities and he smoked at least two packs of cigarettes daily.

Oh, and by the way, my aunt has turned 93 and has - and never has had - none of the ailments you have listed. She gardens most days, visits her son and his wife who live nearby and has a very active life not rooted to a Herman Miller chair. 

There are plenty of anecdotes about people who lived to very old ages yet doing many things that are considered "unhealthy".   With a population of 7+ billion people, there are always many cases far away from the peak of the Gauss curve.   But on the average, those smoking at least two packs of cigarettes a day don't live as long as your tough Chinese.  

Please don't feel your life constrained by what I write.  You have perfect freedom to live as healthy or unhealthy as you like.  I enjoy the same freedom, and I am very happy with my habits and my Herman Miller chair.  I can enjoy plenty of sex tourism, plenty of social life, and I can enjoy life without it.   This is flexibility, adaptability.   Nothing matters in my life more than the feelings I have inside of me.  And I have good control of these.  :thumb:

Edited by Steve5380

• 2 months later...

I found a new video by the "longevity expert" David Sinclair.  

Here there are talks of a "longevity pill",  and a REVERSE AGING REVOLUTION!  To this I have to say:

HURRY UP, GUYS,  I NEED THIS !!

I have already added to my collection of daily supplements the NMN pill.  And the results I notice are amazing:  nothing physical so far ( like with my other supplements, it is not possible to feel a recognizable improvement,  but they work mostly AVOIDING health problems, and I don't keep track of the ailments I don't have, ha ha)  but what immediately took place is a strong PLACEBO EFFECT.  For the several weeks I'm taking this now,  every time I have a good day at the gym or at home I think:  "this is the longevity pill doing its work".   Just this effect, and I think it is worth taking it.  :) 

But there may be other signs:  notice how this Dr. Sinclair looks like:  not the aspect of a man in his 50s,  but rather in his 30s.  Could this have some significance?

In any case, I keep my mind open about this.  If in 20 years you see me still posting here,  you could assume that Sinclair's suggestions and pill work! 

On 12/12/2021 at 10:51 AM, Steve5380 said:

If so,  I want to be bad, bad, bad...:lol:

What makes u think u r not?

😜

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

On 12/11/2021 at 9:16 PM, fab said:

What makes u think u r not?

😜

Nothing.  I know perfectly well that I was born bad, like every human on earth.  

Born with the Original Sin.  But I got rid of this sin when I was baptized.  ( how about these Buddhists who are never baptized?... )

But it was not long thereafter that I became bad again due to the Sin of Homosexuality.  These sins are now extending my longevity. :thumb:

On 12/11/2021 at 11:45 AM, xydboy said:

Very controversial person...from the way he does things, it seems like he is more of a salesman than a researcher

You are smart!  I had exactly the same feelings when I first read about this guy.   That he is an expert in promoting himself, to then promote who-knows-what! 

But I have pushed this skepticism a little aside.  He is a known expert in a reputable medical institution. He works with fellow expert scientists.  If he is peddling pure bullshit, the expert medical and scientific community would have called him out, especially his fellow scientists he quotes.  Yet I have not heard from any trustworthy authority condemning his theories and experimental data.

Here is one later video where he details some of his theories.  Most of this stuff is beyond my knowledge of biology and medicine:

I have pointed out this video to my son, who has degrees in biology and medicine,  and asked him to view it and let me know his opinion on the subject.  He has not answered me yet, but I doubt that he will find all this as fake.   In the meantime, I keep taking my NMN pills and enjoying... strong placebo effects. :) 

Guest Curious
On 12/10/2021 at 6:45 AM, Steve5380 said:

I found a new video by the "longevity expert" David Sinclair.  

Here there are talks of a "longevity pill",  and a REVERSE AGING REVOLUTION!  To this I have to say:

HURRY UP, GUYS,  I NEED THIS !!

I have already added to my collection of daily supplements the NMN pill.  And the results I notice are amazing:  nothing physical so far ( like with my other supplements, it is not possible to feel a recognizable improvement,  but they work mostly AVOIDING health problems, and I don't keep track of the ailments I don't have, ha ha)  but what immediately took place is a strong PLACEBO EFFECT.  For the several weeks I'm taking this now,  every time I have a good day at the gym or at home I think:  "this is the longevity pill doing its work".   Just this effect, and I think it is worth taking it.  :) 

But there may be other signs:  notice how this Dr. Sinclair looks like:  not the aspect of a man in his 50s,  but rather in his 30s.  Could this have some significance?

In any case, I keep my mind open about this.  If in 20 years you see me still posting here,  you could assume that Sinclair's suggestions and pill work! 

What are the daily supplements you take? Thanks.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:05 AM, Guest Curious said:

What are the daily supplements you take? Thanks.

I can surely tell you what supplements I take daily:

- New additions for anti-aging:  trans-resveratrol 250mg and NMN 500mg (sublingual)

- To keep heart happy:  CoQ10 100mg

- To keep bones strong and calcium away from blood vessels: D3 100mcg + K2-MK7 100mcg, in one pill

- Other supplements "because they are good": 

pycnogenol 100mg, 

grape seed extract 400mg,

B-complex, 

boswellia serrata 500mg, 

and once a week B-12 (metylcobalamin) 1000mcg (sublingual)

I don't pretend that my supplement set is optimum, it is just what it is.  And they have not killed me yet.  :) 

On 12/12/2021 at 11:04 AM, Steve5380 said:

I have pointed out this video to my son, who has degrees in biology and medicine,  and asked him to view it and let me know his opinion on the subject.  He has not answered me yet, but I doubt that he will find all this as fake.   In the meantime, I keep taking my NMN pills and enjoying... strong placebo effects. :) 

My son called me yesterday and answered my questions.  He finds that the expertise of David Sinclair is not fake,  but he wonders why he would release to the general public in YouTube such specific tools of his trade.  Why doesn't he make it more simple, more understandable?  He notes that even reputable scientists have faked data and results for their purposes. He wants to see publications of peer-reviews of what this Dr. Sinclair alleges.  Has anybody reproduced his experiments with mice, to see that they do what he claims? And how much of the responses in mice can be translated to humans?  etc., etc., etc., ...

Also as a good doctor and good son,  he told me to be careful with supplements. They are not regulated, any powder can replace medicine, and he instead aims to add in his nutrition foods that carry the desired substances naturally.   Very wise!  But not even for family do I let down my skepticism over what doctors recommend in nutrition  :lol:

So I kept reading, and found an article from The New York Times magazine:  "How long can we live?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/28/magazine/human-lifespan.html

---

In a study published in Nature in December 2020, David Sinclair, a director of the Paul F. Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging Research at Harvard Medical School, along with colleagues, partly restored vision in middle-aged and ailing mice by reprogramming their gene expression. The researchers injected the mice’s eyes with a benign virus carrying genes that revert mature cells to a more supple, stem-cell-like state, which allowed their neurons to regenerate — an ability that mammals usually lose after infancy. “Aging is far more reversible than we thought,” Sinclair told me. “Cells can clean themselves up, they can get rid of old proteins, they can rejuvenate, if you turn on the youthful genes through this reset process.”

Known for his boyish features and sanguine predictions, Sinclair, 51, and several of his family members (including his dogs) follow versions of his life-prolonging regimen, which has, over the years, included regular exercise, sauna steams and ice baths, a two-meal-a-day mostly vegetarian diet, the diabetes drug metformin (which is purported to have anti-aging properties) and several vitamins and supplements, like the once-hyped but ultimately disappointing red-wine miracle molecule resveratrol. Sinclair has also founded at least 12 biotech companies and serves on the boards of several more, one of which is already pursuing human clinical trials of a gene therapy based on his recent Nature study.

So he founded 12 biotech companies??  Well.. this does not prove that he is a fake, but that he is smart in promoting himself.  Maybe he is thinking of assuring a financial independence for the several hundred years he is planning to live. That's fine, good for him,  as long as he can make me live longer. :thumb:

Guest Curious
On 12/13/2021 at 10:36 PM, Steve5380 said:

I can surely tell you what supplements I take daily:

- New additions for anti-aging:  trans-resveratrol 250mg and NMN 500mg (sublingual)

- To keep heart happy:  CoQ10 100mg

- To keep bones strong and calcium away from blood vessels: D3 100mcg + K2-MK7 100mcg, in one pill

- Other supplements "because they are good": 

pycnogenol 100mg, 

grape seed extract 400mg,

B-complex, 

boswellia serrata 500mg, 

and once a week B-12 (metylcobalamin) 1000mcg (sublingual)

I don't pretend that my supplement set is optimum, it is just what it is.  And they have not killed me yet.  :) 

Many thanks for sharing. Any recommended brands? I was just hoping for that one pill that can fix it all 😜

On 12/13/2021 at 5:54 PM, Guest Curious said:

Many thanks for sharing. Any recommended brands? I was just hoping for that one pill that can fix it all 😜

I feel a little embarrassed answering your question.  It seems that my son, a "good doctor", was right in warning me about supplements.

Two months ago I bought from Amazon the supplement "NMN MAX 500mg sublingual",  and I had been taking it since.

Yesterday I watched this video that made me feel like a fool, and I humbly recognize that I can be fooled.  But not for long.

Besides this results from the lab CromaDex, I found another independent lab result that found the same fraud in the supplement I had brought.

Today I returned this fake supplement, still in time for a full refund return, and  I already got credit for it.

What the author of the video recommends, to use the website LabDoor.com for reviews on supplements, seems like a good idea.

On 12/13/2021 at 1:04 AM, Steve5380 said:

You are smart!  I had exactly the same feelings when I first read about this guy.   That he is an expert in promoting himself, to then promote who-knows-what! 

But I have pushed this skepticism a little aside.  He is a known expert in a reputable medical institution. He works with fellow expert scientists.  If he is peddling pure bullshit, the expert medical and scientific community would have called him out, especially his fellow scientists he quotes.  Yet I have not heard from any trustworthy authority condemning his theories and experimental data.

Here is one later video where he details some of his theories.  Most of this stuff is beyond my knowledge of biology and medicine:

On 12/13/2021 at 11:18 PM, Steve5380 said:

My son called me yesterday and answered my questions.  He finds that the expertise of David Sinclair is not fake,  but he wonders why he would release to the general public in YouTube such specific tools of his trade.  Why doesn't he make it more simple, more understandable?  He notes that even reputable scientists have faked data and results for their purposes. He wants to see publications of peer-reviews of what this Dr. Sinclair alleges.  Has anybody reproduced his experiments with mice, to see that they do what he claims? And how much of the responses in mice can be translated to humans?  etc., etc., etc., ...

Also as a good doctor and good son,  he told me to be careful with supplements. They are not regulated, any powder can replace medicine, and he instead aims to add in his nutrition foods that carry the desired substances naturally.   Very wise!  But not even for family do I let down my skepticism over what doctors recommend in nutrition  :lol:

So I kept reading, and found an article from The New York Times magazine:  "How long can we live?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/28/magazine/human-lifespan.html

---

In a study published in Nature in December 2020, David Sinclair, a director of the Paul F. Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging Research at Harvard Medical School, along with colleagues, partly restored vision in middle-aged and ailing mice by reprogramming their gene expression. The researchers injected the mice’s eyes with a benign virus carrying genes that revert mature cells to a more supple, stem-cell-like state, which allowed their neurons to regenerate — an ability that mammals usually lose after infancy. “Aging is far more reversible than we thought,” Sinclair told me. “Cells can clean themselves up, they can get rid of old proteins, they can rejuvenate, if you turn on the youthful genes through this reset process.”

Known for his boyish features and sanguine predictions, Sinclair, 51, and several of his family members (including his dogs) follow versions of his life-prolonging regimen, which has, over the years, included regular exercise, sauna steams and ice baths, a two-meal-a-day mostly vegetarian diet, the diabetes drug metformin (which is purported to have anti-aging properties) and several vitamins and supplements, like the once-hyped but ultimately disappointing red-wine miracle molecule resveratrol. Sinclair has also founded at least 12 biotech companies and serves on the boards of several more, one of which is already pursuing human clinical trials of a gene therapy based on his recent Nature study.

So he founded 12 biotech companies??  Well.. this does not prove that he is a fake, but that he is smart in promoting himself.  Maybe he is thinking of assuring a financial independence for the several hundred years he is planning to live. That's fine, good for him,  as long as he can make me live longer. :thumb:

Actually there are some reports in relation to his achievement: https://khn.org/news/a-fountain-of-youth-pill-sure-if-youre-a-mouse/ 

From cases of prominent researchers being engaged without knowing much about the company, to marketing based on weak evidence, I don't see how this fosters good scientific practice/ethics regardless of his status in a prestigious institution. Titles and glory aside, in science, one would value the need for strong evidence and good work ethics. It is the evidence that we respect, and its also good science to not over-claim. I don't see much work on human trials from his team. Further, with just animal work, we can't conclude with great certainty that what is shown in animals will be shown with equal impact on humans. On that note, yes I do agree he may be a prominent researcher, but I disagree on the methods he used to engage people to buy a product that has weak evidence on anti-aging effects. More needs to be done in humans, unless one believes that they are of similar category as mouse models. Indeed he has been taking it and showing the intended effects. However, it does not omit the possibility that other healthy habits (e.g., exercise, proper diet) could confound the outcome. Unless he has performed randomised controlled trials to substantiate his claims.

On 12/18/2021 at 1:20 PM, xydboy said:

Actually there are some reports in relation to his achievement: https://khn.org/news/a-fountain-of-youth-pill-sure-if-youre-a-mouse/ 

From cases of prominent researchers being engaged without knowing much about the company, to marketing based on weak evidence, I don't see how this fosters good scientific practice/ethics regardless of his status in a prestigious institution. Titles and glory aside, in science, one would value the need for strong evidence and good work ethics. It is the evidence that we respect, and its also good science to not over-claim. I don't see much work on human trials from his team. Further, with just animal work, we can't conclude with great certainty that what is shown in animals will be shown with equal impact on humans. On that note, yes I do agree he may be a prominent researcher, but I disagree on the methods he used to engage people to buy a product that has weak evidence on anti-aging effects. More needs to be done in humans, unless one believes that they are of similar category as mouse models. Indeed he has been taking it and showing the intended effects. However, it does not omit the possibility that other healthy habits (e.g., exercise, proper diet) could confound the outcome. Unless he has performed randomised controlled trials to substantiate his claims.

Skepticism about new discoveries is well justified.  Especially if it is in such an obscure field as the biology of aging.  Yes, animal mouse is not the same as animal human. 

But we cannot expect much results from longevity trials in humans.  Our lifetime is much longer than that of mice and we should not be artificially "aged" to then prove a reversal of such aging. Therefore, time will have to tell the results. 

The article you posted correctly paints David Sinclair a a sleek individual who has promoted himself extensively and is making a lot of money from his trade.  I find it hard however to blame him for that.  What he does has not been found to be criminal, and it could instead facilitate the advancement in the area by having so many people interested in it and so we become a very large set of guinea pigs, ha ha.   Just now I have been fooled myself taking this supplement NMN,  not by the inefficacy of NMN but by the manufacturer of the supplement I bought, which was revealed to be fake.  No significant NMN in it!  ( but I got a great placebo effect while I took it ).

So I am cautious too.  But I still keep some trust in two actions that allegedly improve longevity, mentioned by Sinclair:  fasting and experiencing the cold.  I am now in the middle of a three day fast,  and I welcome the cold, like washing myself with cold water and facing the colder weather that has started in the fall.

I recently got a test that was encouraging for my longevity:  a DEXA bone density test.  The result was that my bone density is one standard deviation better than that of the average person my age,  and only slightly inferior to that of a 30 year old, the age at which bone density is considered the best.  And I suspect the reason for the result:  weight lifting and frequent falling to the ground.   

On 12/19/2021 at 9:03 AM, Steve5380 said:

Skepticism about new discoveries is well justified.  Especially if it is in such an obscure field as the biology of aging.  Yes, animal mouse is not the same as animal human. 

But we cannot expect much results from longevity trials in humans.  Our lifetime is much longer than that of mice and we should not be artificially "aged" to then prove a reversal of such aging. Therefore, time will have to tell the results. 

The article you posted correctly paints David Sinclair a a sleek individual who has promoted himself extensively and is making a lot of money from his trade.  I find it hard however to blame him for that.  What he does has not been found to be criminal, and it could instead facilitate the advancement in the area by having so many people interested in it and so we become a very large set of guinea pigs, ha ha.   Just now I have been fooled myself taking this supplement NMN,  not by the inefficacy of NMN but by the manufacturer of the supplement I bought, which was revealed to be fake.  No significant NMN in it!  ( but I got a great placebo effect while I took it ).

So I am cautious too.  But I still keep some trust in two actions that allegedly improve longevity, mentioned by Sinclair:  fasting and experiencing the cold.  I am now in the middle of a three day fast,  and I welcome the cold, like washing myself with cold water and facing the colder weather that has started in the fall.

I recently got a test that was encouraging for my longevity:  a DEXA bone density test.  The result was that my bone density is one standard deviation better than that of the average person my age,  and only slightly inferior to that of a 30 year old, the age at which bone density is considered the best.  And I suspect the reason for the result:  weight lifting and frequent falling to the ground.   

Why do we need to be "artificially" aged to prove a reversal of such aging? There are ways to go about it and it is the basis of that gap that demonstrates the need for further studies in human trials. Just because "we cannot expect much results", doesn't make animal models any way better to explain things around us. 

I do think that we would need to see more studies in humans to prove his point to be true. If indeed what he finds is the truth, then it should be replicable in human models. That's how clinical trials are done. Based on current animal models, I do think that evidence is weak on this. 

On 12/19/2021 at 6:39 AM, xydboy said:

Why do we need to be "artificially" aged to prove a reversal of such aging? There are ways to go about it and it is the basis of that gap that demonstrates the need for further studies in human trials. Just because "we cannot expect much results", doesn't make animal models any way better to explain things around us. 

I do think that we would need to see more studies in humans to prove his point to be true. If indeed what he finds is the truth, then it should be replicable in human models. That's how clinical trials are done. Based on current animal models, I do think that evidence is weak on this. 

We don't need to be artificially aged to prove an improvement in longevity.  I only mentioned it as a way to speed up results.  Otherwise we have to wait until the subjects of the study die to know their full longevity.  Although there are indicators of longevity that can be measured for their improvement, and this may not take too much time. The scientists in this field are already are working on this,  and I hope we will hear from results sooner.

The skepticism is somewhat similar to what people have about the Covid-19 vaccines.  They were developed so fast, and they have been around for only a short time, one year by now.  What if they have long-term secondary effects?  Shouldn't one wait several years before having them?  Well... some people think this way, and they are now dying like fleas.  I had my three shots of Moderna vaccine as soon as possible.  Was this risky?   I don't think so, but this is my opinion. So far...  so good!

Should I ignore the issue of longevity until there are plenty of double-blinded tests made in large populations?  This is not my approach because  a) I first make sure that whatever I do for longevity is not harmful, and b) I don't have so much more time to wait at my age,  ha ha.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.