Male HQ

Recover or just let it go

shenalone

It depends on how much you value it. Now you know the range of the service fee. Did you find it worth? If you find it too expensive, it might not be that important to you. I feel it might feel better that you regret repairing it because money can be earned back later, but photos and data will be gone forever.

Is the failed hard drive installed in your computer, or is it an external one? 

Can you detect any mechanical failure, like noises when it tries to read?

A drive that does not respond at all may be mechanically intact but have some software, logic problems.

But the fact that your drive first started to slow down may point to increased read errors due to some mechanical problems.

In any case,  before you give up on it,  you yourself could try to use some data recovery software programs, like "Disk Drill".

Guest Starbright

Before you send in for recovery extraction, suggest you test the portable hard disk cable and the USB port of your laptop. Sometimes it can be just a simple fix. 

The last data extraction I did cost $150 a few years ago and I had to buy a new portable hard disk as well. 

Suggest you get a portable SSD this time for greater stability.

It all happen too fast, when my computer detected it slows down is like the last day it's alive, when I off my com and on again it's unable to read already. It's a internal drive. It can still run and all but just can't find any files. Have tried using stellar recovery but also cannot detect anything. 

On 9/30/2021 at 6:26 PM, shenalone said:

It all happen too fast, when my computer detected it slows down is like the last day it's alive, when I off my com and on again it's unable to read already. It's a internal drive. It can still run and all but just can't find any files. Have tried using stellar recovery but also cannot detect anything. 

It is an internal drive.  Not the one you boot from and not the one with the operating system.  You may not have anything to lose trying other recovery programs, to see if you can get from them some diagnosis of the problem.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:26 AM, shenalone said:

Take out your internal harddisk, and replace it with a new one.  Buy a caddy for your old harddisk and than connect it externally thru USB to retrieve your data.   Harddisk itself is just a storage medium, unless you format it or overloaded it that caused the function to slow down.  Otherwise, it is your cable faulty, your RAM too slow or virus attack that affect your harddisk speed.   

On 10/1/2021 at 3:35 PM, Guest Try said:

Take out your internal harddisk, and replace it with a new one.  Buy a caddy for your old harddisk and than connect it externally thru USB to retrieve your data.   Harddisk itself is just a storage medium, unless you format it or overloaded it that caused the function to slow down.  Otherwise, it is your cable faulty, your RAM too slow or virus attack that affect your harddisk speed.   

How I wish it is like that too. I'm using those duplicates harddisk this to read the harddisk it can't even load after letting it run for like 12 hours and it's not even going up with the steller program

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.