Male HQ

[Healthy Living Tips for the Middle-aged] Walk 7,000 Steps a Day

Derren

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-7000-steps-a-day-can-reduce-your-risk-of-early-death

During this extended time of lessened social and physical activity, it's good to monitor that we are doing the

minimum to keep ourselves healthy. 

I find 10,000 steps daily quite a challenge to achieve. 7,000 steps is more manageable; a 30-min slow walk after

dinner is usually sufficient. 

5,000 was also the average for me. A short walk after dinner easily gets me to 7,000. 

Previously, when my goal was set at 10,000, I found myself dreading the walks because they felt so long. 

And I would frequently find excuses not to go for a walk, stupidly assuming that it is futile if I don't get to t0,000.

Would be nice if we can have walking groups to walk together after dinner every evening. Any interested?

Edited by Derren

• 4 weeks later...

In this rainy season, even 7,000 steps may require quite a bit of determination.

After dinner, I found I still had a shortfall of more than 2,000 steps. My first instinct was to stay home and walk another time.

But I managed to shove myself outside and armed with an umbrella, I "braved" the drizzle to finish the day's quota of steps. 

I wasn't the only one at the park. There was someone jogging at lightning speed in the drizzle. Inspiring!

When it rains, we can always climb stairs! 

• 1 month later...

Do middle aged need to make walking their main exercise?  What happens with a little more strenuous exercises, like running, using aerobic machines, weight lifting?

Don't miss reading about the benefits of fasting. There are some recommendations that exercising should be done on an empty stomach.  

So how about walking the 7,000 steps BEFORE dinner?

On 1/6/2022 at 10:11 AM, Steve5380 said:

Do middle aged need to make walking their main exercise?  What happens with a little more strenuous exercises, like running, using aerobic machines, weight lifting?

Don't miss reading about the benefits of fasting. There are some recommendations that exercising should be done on an empty stomach.  

So how about walking the 7,000 steps BEFORE dinner?

There are several reasons why a middle-aged or younger might want to make walking their main cardio exercise. Overweight or physically weak people could start with light walking for a couple of months to allow their bodies time to get used to the stress of exercise. Walking is the preferred choice of cardio for some bodybuilders because they feel that it does not disrupt their muscle recovery. There are also some simply reject the very idea of being out of breath or being soaked in sweat etc.

According to the research cited in the article, 7,000 steps is enough to lower one's risk of early death. However, there are many who don't make this number of steps. The message for these very sedentary people is therefore that it doesn't take much walking for a longer life, so why not just invest in that 10 min walk? 

There is evidence that walking after dinner helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Being a very mild form of exercise, walking probably wouldn't interfere much with digestion. As for walking before dinner, why not if you are so inclined! I think fasted cardio has its benefits, for sure. 

Edited by Derren

On 1/6/2022 at 1:55 AM, Derren said:

There are several reasons why a middle-aged or younger might want to make walking their main cardio exercise. Overweight or physically weak people could start with light walking for a couple of months to allow their bodies time to get used to the stress of exercise. Walking is the preferred choice of cardio for some bodybuilders because they feel that it does not disrupt their muscle recovery. There are also some simply reject the very idea of being out of breath or being soaked in sweat etc.

According to the research cited in the article, 7,000 steps is enough to lower one's risk of early death. However, there are many who don't make this number of steps. The message for these very sedentary people is therefore that it doesn't take much walking for a longer life, so why not just invest in that 10 min walk? 

There is evidence that walking after dinner helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Being a very mild form of exercise, walking probably wouldn't interfere much with digestion. As for walking before dinner, why not if you are so inclined! I think fasted cardio has its benefits, for sure. 

Yes,  fast walking 7,000 steps  (about 5 km)  is enough cardio at any age, provided that the heart rate is 100 beats per minute or more.  And you are right that it is a good introductory exercise for obese, sedentary people.

And there is a good tradition of walking after a big meal "to help with digestion".  However, if we have a flexible metabolism from intermittent fasting, with high body sensitivity to insulin,  our digestion does not need any external help because the inrush of sugar is handled very well, being consumed as necessary and the excess disposed correctly with little insulin.  They say that this state comes with time, after fasting has done its work of optimum conditioning of the digestion,  changing the nutrition between sugar and fat very quickly and unnoticeably.   We are an amazing machine  :) 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.