Male HQ

Buddhist Group

Derren

On 10/20/2021 at 2:42 PM, Derren said:

Yeah I can and do. But I prefer a more guided approach, in which I can ask questions and have a discussion to clarify my thoughts 

I see. Indeed

On 10/20/2021 at 1:42 AM, Derren said:

Yeah I can and do. But I prefer a more guided approach, in which I can ask questions and have a discussion to clarify my thoughts 

There is no doubt that seeking guidance from others facilitates the learning...  the learning of the ideas of others.

If we have a certain experience of life and an ability to reason,  we should consult the abundant impersonal information to form OUR OWN ideas instead of being influenced by others.  Especially in the subject of religion, where NOBODY exists who has ANY KNOWLEDGE of any answers to religious questions that are TRUE and REAL.

I like to hear what others think, but it doesn't mean I will necessarily shut my mind off and accept their ideas blindly. I recognise that I may have blind spots or biases or even sheer errors. There are many people out there from whose wisdom I can learn much from. After all, I am just starting out on this journey to learn more about Buddhism. 

On 10/31/2021 at 2:28 PM, Derren said:

I like to hear what others think, but it doesn't mean I will necessarily shut my mind off and accept their ideas blindly. I recognise that I may have blind spots or biases or even sheer errors. There are many people out there from whose wisdom I can learn much from. After all, I am just starting out on this journey to learn more about Buddhism. 

There was already an existing thread with a good reservoir of information and discussion on Buddhism, if you can find it.  But because there are many different sects in Buddhism, the information and interpretation can be daunting and confusing.  All the best to your learning journey though.

Don't read and response to guests' post

Hey Derren,

just to share some my personal journey, I find it more enjoyable to read books about Buddhism and learn at my own pace. There are a lot of books about Buddhism in our public libraries. I prefer those that are written from the perspective of the authors sharing their own personal journey. Mostly written by the ang mohs and most are quite funny as Buddhists are really not afraid of laughing at themselves. 

There are indeed some groups i came across in this forum but due to how many people interpret Buddhism, and in fact all religions, there can be some argument when people loses their cool trying to express their opinions. And most of these groups are inactive now. 

Feel free to do a search for those threads and read up. I think you can also private message any of the contributor, with full reference to their sharing and expressing your intent out front of course, if you are keen to find out more. Feel free to message me too but I really recommend some reading out 1st. In Buddhism, there are no quick answers. The best answers are those experienced.

Have a nice day!

On 11/4/2021 at 11:07 AM, buddy4life said:

Hey Derren,

just to share some my personal journey, I find it more enjoyable to read books about Buddhism and learn at my own pace. There are a lot of books about Buddhism in our public libraries. I prefer those that are written from the perspective of the authors sharing their own personal journey. Mostly written by the ang mohs and most are quite funny as Buddhists are really not afraid of laughing at themselves. 

There are indeed some groups i came across in this forum but due to how many people interpret Buddhism, and in fact all religions, there can be some argument when people loses their cool trying to express their opinions. And most of these groups are inactive now. 

Feel free to do a search for those threads and read up. I think you can also private message any of the contributor, with full reference to their sharing and expressing your intent out front of course, if you are keen to find out more. Feel free to message me too but I really recommend some reading out 1st. In Buddhism, there are no quick answers. The best answers are those experienced.

Have a nice day!

Hi buddy4lfie

Appreciate your sharing. Indeed there are no quick answers; sometimes the truth can only be experienced.  Thank you for your offer to message you; I shall take you up on it.

Best wishes

Derren

On 10/31/2021 at 1:28 AM, Derren said:

There are many people out there who are wise.  But no wisdom can find the truth we all seek, given that we may not have the capacity to find it.  It is like the fish swimming in an aquarium in a room without windows will never guess that we are a planet in a solar system, no matter how wise they can become. 

Most of the wise don't have solid convictions, but they freely speculate.  About Buddhism and other religions.  About a divinity being personal or impersonal. About an afterlife or not.   I have found an interesting series of videos "Closer To Truth"  on YouTube  narrated by a person who is also on a journey to learn the unlearnable.

各位师兄们,

你们好。末学学佛多年,对于那些初学者或者对佛教🈶️兴趣的初学者,末学願意分享自己学佛的经历:如短期出家,三皈依,受五戒等等。不过,因为末学学佛是以中文为主,无法与英文分享,如果你看🉐️懂此文,那么,我们应该可以互相交流学习佛法。

末学也已经上完佛学初级班,现在还在自学大乘佛法,也感恩师父与善知识的敎导与指引,願与众善知识结交善缘。

如果您对学佛🈶️兴趣,可以畄下您的telegram,末学将于您分享我的学佛心得与历程。

谢谢与感恩。

• 3 weeks later...

Recently, i came across this website and found the discussion useful.

This is the first video. To-date, there are already 6 videos being made.

Please note that i am not affiliated to any particular organization.

It just happens that some of the talks here have answered some of my questions.

Just sharing this in case it may be useful to you too.

Not sure if you have come across this site DharmaWheel - a discussion forum on Buddhism. There are many sections where you can choose from depending what interest you more. 

The Buddha has always advice his students (and it apply to us too) that they should not just accept his teachings just because it is spoken by Buddha himself, but it is after thorough listening, investigating, contemplating and meditating (familiarization) when you find it beneficial to yourself and to others, then you may accept it. 

The 3 most important approach on learnings in Buddhism is always: Listening, contemplating and meditating. This is the 3 highest learnings.

On 12/6/2021 at 3:00 PM, kitsune said:

Not sure if you have come across this site DharmaWheel - a discussion forum on Buddhism. There are many sections where you can choose from depending what interest you more. 

The Buddha has always advice his students (and it apply to us too) that they should not just accept his teachings just because it is spoken by Buddha himself, but it is after thorough listening, investigating, contemplating and meditating (familiarization) when you find it beneficial to yourself and to others, then you may accept it. 

The 3 most important approach on learnings in Buddhism is always: Listening, contemplating and meditating. This is the 3 highest learnings.

Thanks I'll check it out