Male HQ

Lacking motivation and energy.

lonely57

I'm not so sure where I should post this or if my title is accurate but here goes. 

I'm a plus sized guy trying to get fitter and leaner. I'm just wondering how and where do people get the drive to push on with their workout even when they are feeling tired. Like once I start to feel tired I tend to just feel like staring into space. It's like I give up even before reaching exhaustion. Eg. While some people who feel stress/sad and just sprint all the way out to exhaustion to relieve their stress/sadness, I can't get to that exhaustion state and just give up halfway. 

Anyways, the reason I'm asking this is because I'm contemplating going for those high intensity exercise classes but I'm worried that it might not be that effective if I can't bring myself to go all out. 

1. If your fitness level allows, go for those short intensive HIIT sessions. A good HIIT session will not even take more than 15 mins. Lots of videos available on youtube and you can do it at home. You should also increase intensity slowly and not go all out immediately.

2. Work on diet (most important) other than exercise. Dun go full force dieting at once. Cut down on carbs bit by bit and cut down on portion slowly. The trick is to make yourself full (lots of protein) and not starve yourself.

3. You also need to ask yourself why you feel tired easily. Lack of sleep? Bad sleep? It's also good to consume Men's Multi-Vitamins daily to help with your energy and focus.

Dont aim too high and too hard at the start. Start with small walks (4-6 times a week, 45 mins to 1 hour a day). Do this for 3 months.

From there slowly progress to your HIIT and workout. Your motivation will come by itself once you start noticing changes in your body.

On 11/22/2021 at 1:28 PM, lonely57 said:

I'm not so sure where I should post this or if my title is accurate but here goes. 

I'm a plus sized guy trying to get fitter and leaner. I'm just wondering how and where do people get the drive to push on with their workout even when they are feeling tired. Like once I start to feel tired I tend to just feel like staring into space. It's like I give up even before reaching exhaustion. Eg. While some people who feel stress/sad and just sprint all the way out to exhaustion to relieve their stress/sadness, I can't get to that exhaustion state and just give up halfway. 

Anyways, the reason I'm asking this is because I'm contemplating going for those high intensity exercise classes but I'm worried that it might not be that effective if I can't bring myself to go all out. 

If u wanna lose weight, diet.  Build muscle, gym. 

Diet is not to starve but eat clean. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

You could be lacking something in your Diet that could be making you feel like you have no energy.

It might be worth having a check up.

I was lacking vitamin D. A Thai friend who is around my age was lacking iron.

I was 95 kgs in May and now around 83/84 kgs.

I cut out all alcohol and increased the vegetable content on my plate.

I have been doing more walking but mainly I have focused on energy in.

I now have heaps more energy.

So go and get some tests done to see if you are lacking anything.

Guest Chris rawlin.

I am in mid age , and I find i need to persevere with low energy exercising before the body engine warms up and after that , around the 30 mins mark , I hit my stride and then I can push for high intensity work out. 

Its becos of age catching up and also not exercising when young .

U just gotta persevere and warm up body engine first. 

Not everyone born lucky and have elite alpha male athelete body composition. 

Just persevere for twenty minutes,at 30 mins mark mental brain fog will clear away. 

Guest 1 Month

1)   There is a misconception that "High Intensity Exercise"  will help improve your overall well beings.  If not careful, it can stress and damage your heart or enlarge your heart which is not a good thing

2)  If you want to stay lean and burn fat in the shortest period of time. Then eat less carbohydrate and sugar, cut down on meals per day.  Teach the body to draw energy (calories) from your belly, and not from what you eat.  Otherwise, your belly fat will not move out from your belly because your brain tell your body to draw calories from food you eat first.

3)  Now that your body shape is taken care in item (2),  you need to focus on your heart health.  Again, it is not about intensive exercise.   Feed your hearts with electroylites such as potassium (Vit K),  Magnesium, and Vitamine E.   Do daily walks, to reduce stress,  in contrast to intensitive exercise that elevates your adrenaline which may not be good for your heart. .  Imagine you are constantly chased by wild Tiger (intensive stressful workout),  the fears and stress endured daily is not going to help your well beings.  

Give yourself 1 month to do the above, the result is going to be stunning..  No pushing, screaming and over exhaustion needed at the Gym.

Once you achieved the above.

3) 

First thing first. You need to lose weight. The body fat is pulling you down and preventing you to go further psychologically and physically. Our body works gradually, step by step. Do not follow those fit guys who could workout until they reach a satisfied exhaustion state. They have already reached the state of fitness, they are only pushing it one step to maintain that state. If you follow their workout, you will strain yourself and the result isn't going to be favourable.

Watch your food intake and take more fiberous food. Do light exercises like brisk walking or light swimming. You can swim 2 to 3 laps at a time. Do not follow those regular swimmers. If you feel tired, do not force yourself further. You must be determined, do those light exercises regularly e.g. 5 times in a week and consistently. Gradually increasing their length of time. By then, you should lose some weight and are ready to join those heavier workouts.

A device that somehow helped me to be motivated the past few years is the Apple Watch. I became obsessed with closing my fitness rings every day and it kept me motivated for the most part. It tracks the steps you take each day, stairs you climb etc. It does help somewhat in motivating me. You don't have to get the latest model, even the Apple watches from previous generations are good enough for fitness tracking and motivation. 

A way I motivate myself is I workout in the mornings. I get it out of the way and the rest of the day is spent walking and climbing stairs as I have a dog that needs to be walked 3x a day for exercise and toilet, and I live on the 4th floor. 

You have to figure out why you want to be "fitter and leaner." Do it for you. 

Love. 

One thing that motivates me is when I track my progress, the small improvement I started seeing really made me feels good. And that encourages me to go further. What is even more motivating is when other people start to notice my progress.

Don't go full on beast mode and start dieting and training non-stop, you will lose steam and interest. Start small and easy, and when you start seeing small wins, use those to push yourself more.

On 11/21/2021 at 11:28 PM, lonely57 said:

Like others have remarked already,  forget the high intensity exercises for now.  Maybe take them up when your energy level improves.

If you are plus sized,  leaner IS fitter.  So your attention should focus on losing weight.  And here is important what you eat and how much, not so much any exercising.  Don't start a crash diet that you won't be able to sustain.  Like the path of a turtle, slow is sure.  Change progressively your nutrition to foods that are less fattening. There is plenty of information about this on the Internet.  Have a scale at home and weigh yourself frequently.  Small reduction in weight should keep you motivated. 

Go slow, and you don't need to reach exhaustion, therefore you may not give up.   Exhaustion is not necessary to relieve stress.  Think of meditation instead.  Once you are leaner, you may find the energies to start working out.  Then, go for weight lifting to gain muscle, and some aerobics to exercise heart and lungs.   You will succeed if you count on seeing results in months and years, not in days or weeks.

i would just go to the class and do what you can while keeping an eye on building up your tolerance over time (don’t go crazy at the beginning!) - stand at the back if you feel self conscious. You don’t have to go all out for the class to be effective.

Classes with good teachers can be very motivating and help you find that extra bit of energy that you might not reach by yourself or from a video.

try to stop comparing yourself with others and instead work on how you can be your best version of yourself - don’t accept any excuses.  

On 11/22/2021 at 1:50 PM, Guest Guest said:

1. If your fitness level allows, go for those short intensive HIIT sessions. A good HIIT session will not even take more than 15 mins. Lots of videos available on youtube and you can do it at home. You should also increase intensity slowly and not go all out immediately.

2. Work on diet (most important) other than exercise. Dun go full force dieting at once. Cut down on carbs bit by bit and cut down on portion slowly. The trick is to make yourself full (lots of protein) and not starve yourself.

3. You also need to ask yourself why you feel tired easily. Lack of sleep? Bad sleep? It's also good to consume Men's Multi-Vitamins daily to help with your energy and focus.

I have been trying to cut down carbs but it always find its way back. I don't really Starve myself by going on a crash diet. In fact my appetite has been increasing lately. What would have made me feel satiated back then is still not enough and I will even feel like eating even though I'm quite bloated. Maybe I'll try a multi vit. I don't think my diet has lots of essential vitamins. 

On 11/22/2021 at 4:29 PM, passinthenight said:

You could be lacking something in your Diet that could be making you feel like you have no energy.

It might be worth having a check up.

I was lacking vitamin D. A Thai friend who is around my age was lacking iron.

I was 95 kgs in May and now around 83/84 kgs.

I cut out all alcohol and increased the vegetable content on my plate.

I have been doing more walking but mainly I have focused on energy in.

I now have heaps more energy.

So go and get some tests done to see if you are lacking anything.

I do have a history of a vitamin D deficiency from my health check-up 2 years back. Somehow.. I gained like 3-4 kgs since the start of the year. I believe that I've been exercising quite regularly but the weight gain is depressing. 

On 11/22/2021 at 4:44 PM, Guest Chris rawlin. said:

I am in mid age , and I find i need to persevere with low energy exercising before the body engine warms up and after that , around the 30 mins mark , I hit my stride and then I can push for high intensity work out. 

Its becos of age catching up and also not exercising when young .

U just gotta persevere and warm up body engine first. 

Not everyone born lucky and have elite alpha male athelete body composition. 

Just persevere for twenty minutes,at 30 mins mark mental brain fog will clear away. 

Im reaching 30 soon but I don't think it's a warm up thing. In fact after 30 min I get even more demotivated and distracted.

Ever since a little heartbreak 2 yrs ago I've started heading to the office gym every weekday if I'm in office and have continued doing so at home with dumbbells while under wfh arrangement. It's just lately I have difficulty in pushing through my workout. I've even started adding evening runs every 2 nights on top of my daily routine. Yet I've started gaining weight, starting to lose focus and taking way too long breaks in between sets, run timing hasn't improved, frequently feel like giving up mid run, and haven't been able to increase my workout weight. I've actually thought of going for MMA classes actually. That's considered as high intensity right? 

@lonely57

The most important thing by far is to look at your dietary intake.

Do consider seeing a nutritionist or dietitian to tailor a suitable regime for you.

Unless you are running non stop, it is pretty much impossible to achieve significant weight loss if you don't watch what you eat.

You need to probably fast walk for an hour, just to consume the calories from one muffin, for example.

The aim is to lose 1-2 kg per month.

@lonely57

If you find it difficult to motivate yourself, find a coach or consultant who can advise and motivate you. Someone who can cover fitness, nutrition and basic health advice. This person can help monitor and make you accountable for your results. By paying for one you will also have to "force" yourself to turn up. When you book the slots, you have no choice but to turn up no matter how tired you feel.

Set yourself a 3-6 months target. Be realistic. Safe weight loss is around 0.5-1kg per week. No need to lose so much. As long as you're progressing, then you are on the right track. Start slow and gradually increase the frequency/ intensity when you feel better. If you're really tired, take a break and don't feel bad about it. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Join fitness fb groups/telegram. Follow fitness IG/FB. Make sure you surround yourself with positivity and also people who talk about staying healthy and active. Your circle is very important to support your transformation journey.

You may also need good supplements to help support your efforts to that your have more energy and have faster recovery.

Wish you lots of success in your efforts!

I think your issue lies more in the fact that you lack patience and don't set reasonable goals.

Don't aim too high at start and that is why you're demotivated.

At start go by small steps.

Ask gym bods, they didn't get that body in 1 day.

Second I recommend to you to find a buddy. Going alone allows you to cheat yourself or give up early. 

Third, next to slimming or doing sports comes also a change of your food intake.

Your efforts will be vain if you continue the same cycle or even worse go for heavy suppers after the work out.

Last point: did you try changing your work out timing? After work might be unsuitable if you have a stressfull day at work or you may be more the early morning type who works out more easily in mornings.

My advice to you is: Take small steps at start and set lower goals, once you found your routine you can increase speed, goals and duration.

Good is also if a trainer at the gym can set a proper workout schedule for you.

And please change your attitude! Zuckerberg would still be typing nonsense at his garage if he had not set an optimistic view of his endeavours.

Nothing comes from alone! Think positive!

Or as the English say: Rome wasn't built in one day!

It seems that all comes down to losing weight.  And losing weight comes down to reducing food intake.  Exercise helps a little, but MORE exercise can wait.

One commonly overseen way to reduce food intake is FASTING.   Like fasting one whole day of the week, when we eat NOTHING and only drink (water). 

I have tried it a few times, following the idea that fasting may extend longevity.  I don't have a problem with excessive weight, I am at my ideal weight and I try to not lose any.  And fasting causes me to lose too much weight after the fasting. 

I have noticed something:  compared to the sacrifice of reducing food intake by eating less,  fasting is EASIER (!!).  It seems that not eating anything, staying away from the kitchen, the fridge, the pantry...  takes some force of will and a little fear,  but this does not last long and we can nearly forget about eating.   No decisions to make, no thinking "can I eat this or should I not".   It is not true that complete fasting for a whole one day will make our stomach crump and cringe in desperation, or leave us with zero energies at the end, etc.  We may not even notice the effect physically,  just some void in the daily routine.  Staying away from all food will avoid the temptations one feels being close to food.  Of course we will not abandon drinking, and this can be simple:  just water.  

If I ever get young and have to relive my life seeing my belly swell and fat handles appear on my sides and my weight rise unleashed, I would help this by fasting.  If one day a week is not sufficient, then I would do it more frequently.  There is a big difference between fasting and being malnourished.

This may be worth a try!

Edited by Steve5380

On 11/24/2021 at 4:11 AM, Steve5380 said:

It seems that all comes down to losing weight.  And losing weight comes down to reducing food intake.  Exercise helps a little, but MORE exercise can wait.

One commonly overseen way to reduce food intake is FASTING.   Like fasting one whole day of the week, when we eat NOTHING and only drink (water). 

I have tried it a few times, following the idea that fasting may extend longevity.  I don't have a problem with excessive weight, I am at my ideal weight and I try to not lose any.  And fasting causes me to lose too much weight after the fasting. 

I have noticed something:  compared to the sacrifice of reducing food intake by eating less,  fasting is EASIER (!!).  It seems that not eating anything, staying away from the kitchen, the fridge, the pantry...  takes some force of will and a little fear,  but this does not last long and we can nearly forget about eating.   No decisions to make, no thinking "can I eat this or should I not".   It is not true that complete fasting for a whole one day will make our stomach crump and cringe in desperation, or leave us with zero energies at the end, etc.  We may not even notice the effect physically,  just some void in the daily routine.  Staying away from all food will avoid the temptations one feels being close to food.  Of course we will not abandon drinking, and this can be simple:  just water.  

If I ever get young and have to relive my life seeing my belly swell and fat handles appear on my sides and my weight rise unleashed, I would help this by fasting.  If one day a week is not sufficient, then I would do it more frequently.  There is a big difference between fasting and being malnourished.

This may be worth a try!

In your usual plain own words: This is nonsense!

Steve you could do some research also prior to posting here.

Fasting is not recommended for slimming purposes as it is worsening the condition.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-myth-truth-fasting-effective-weight-loss#1

Diet Myth or Truth: Fasting Is Effective for Weight Loss

It's true that fasting -- that is, eating little to no food -- will result in weight loss, at least in the short term. But the risks far outweigh any benefits, and ultimately, fasting can cause more harm than good.

Dangers of Fasting for Weight Loss

When you dramatically reduce your calorie intake, you will lose weight. But it can also cause all kinds of health problems, including muscle loss. Further, when you start fasting, your body goes into conservation mode, burning calories more slowly.

Keep in mind that the initial weight lost on a fast is primarily fluid or "water weight," not fat. And when you go back to eating, any lost weight usually gets a return ticket back. Not only do most people regain weight lost on a fast, they tend to add a few extra pounds because a slower metabolism makes it easier to gain weight. Worse, the weight that is regained is likely to be all fat -- lost muscle has to be added back at the gym.

Side effects of fasting include dizziness, headaches, low blood sugar, muscle aches, weakness, and fatigue. Prolonged fasting can lead to anemia, a weakened immune system, liver and kidney problems, and irregular heartbeat. Fasting can also result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies, muscle breakdown, and diarrhea. When you drink laxative concoctions during a fast, there is an increased risk of fluid imbalance and dehydration.

The risks get more complicated and severe the longer you stay on a fast, or if you repeatedly go on fasts

Please do not suggest fasting.

Only slowing reducing the food intake and changing eating habits combined with some exercise may assist in slimming.

There is a whole science about slimming for it to be successful, fasting surely is not the way in 100% of the cases fasting is counterproductive and worsening health conditions.

Can you be a bit more responsible with your posts Steve!

On 11/23/2021 at 11:39 PM, singalion said:

In your usual plain own words: This is nonsense!

Steve you could do some research also prior to posting here.

Fasting is not recommended for slimming purposes as it is worsening the condition.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-myth-truth-fasting-effective-weight-loss#1

Can you be a bit more responsible with your posts Steve!

Your post reveals a high concentration of satisfaction "proving" Steve wrong. :lol:

My research has shown me that there are few areas of human physiology that are so debated and contradicted than our nutritional mechanisms.  There are countless diets, theories, principles with inconsistencies and contradictions difficult to digest!

What I posted is mainly the result of my own experience.  I can also get addicted to food, and what I found with fasting is that after beginning a fast in the day I can much easier resist any temptations of food, the body does not cry out for food, and then I LEARN to bring this detachment from food into my life.  THIS is what I find so valuable:  the ability to put aside inclinations, temptations to grab out for food and snack without control.   If we learn to do this without much effort, then this purpose of fasting may have been achieved and rigorous fasting may not be necessary.  A one day (24 hours) fasting per week seems right for me (if it would not make me lose more weight than I like) but there are other fasting regimes, like 8 hour fasting each day, that may be better suited for some people to do indefinitely. 

Again, let's not confuse fasting with malnutrition. 

Here is an article from a reputable source that partially contradicts the article you posted.  And perhaps here you can learn the large variety of fasting regimes:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-and-weight-loss

NUTRITION

Evidence Based

How Intermittent Fasting Can Help You Lose Weight

There are many different ways to lose weight.

One strategy that has become popular in recent years is called intermittent fasting (1Trusted Source).

Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern that involves regular, short-term fasts — or periods of minimal or no food consumption.

Most people understand intermittent fasting as a weight loss intervention. Fasting for short periods of time helps people eat fewer calories, which may result in weight loss over time (1Trusted Source).

However, intermittent fasting may also help modify risk factors for health conditions like diabetes and cardiovascular disease, such as lowering cholesterol and blood sugar levels (2, 3Trusted Source, 4, 5Trusted Source).

This article explores everything you need to know about intermittent fasting and weight loss.

Edited by Steve5380

In the discussion about recovering motivation and energy by losing weight,  the topic of FASTING came about.

A confrontation of opinions came about the benefits of fasting about it being bad or good for weight loss.   Further research into fasting reveals that intermittent fasting has a positive effect AGAINST CANCER,  and other health benefits independent of the loss of weight.

This should be of interest to all of us who want to preserve and improve our health,  in particular for @singalion, who has a negative opinion of fasting.  This is one of the sources who relates fasting to cancer:

https://www.healthline.com/health/fasting-and-cancer

Fasting as a treatment for cancer

Fasting, or not eating food for an extended period of time, is well-known as a religious diet practice. But some are also beginning to use it for specific health benefits. Over the past several years, many studies have been published showing that intermittent fasting or a fasting-mimicking diet can reduce risk factors for and reverse symptoms of serious health conditions including cancer.

----

10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting

1. Changes the function of hormones, cells, and genes

When you don’t eat for a while, several things happen in your body.

For example, your body changes hormone levels to make stored body fat more accessible and initiates important cellular repair processes.

Here are some of the changes that occur in your body during fasting:

• Insulin levels. Blood levels of insulin drop significantly, which facilitates fat burning (1Trusted Source).
  • Human growth hormone (HGH) levels. The blood levels of human growth hormone (HGH) may increase dramatically. Higher levels of this hormone facilitate fat burning and muscle gain, and have numerous other benefits (2Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source, 4, 5).
  • Cellular repair. The body induces important cellular repair processes, such as removing waste material from cells (6).
  • Gene expression. There are beneficial changes in several genes and molecules related to longevity and protection against disease (7).

Many of the benefits of intermittent fasting are related to these changes in hormones, the function of cells, and gene expression.

----

7. May help prevent cancer

Cancer is characterized by uncontrolled growth of cells.

Fasting has been shown to have several beneficial effects on metabolism that may lead to reduced risk of cancer.

Promising evidence from animal studies indicates that intermittent fasting or diets that mimic fasting may help prevent cancer. Research in humans has led to similar findings, although more studies are needed (26Trusted Source, 27, 28Trusted Source).

There’s also some evidence showing that fasting reduced various side effects of chemotherapy in humans (29Trusted Source, 30Trusted Source).

Another article relating intermittent fasting and reduced risk of cancer:

https://osher.ucsf.edu/patient-care/integrative-medicine-resources/cancer-and-nutrition/faq/cancer-and-fasting-calorie-restriction

When we are young and healthy we pay little attention to cancer.  But contrary to other chronic diseases, cancer may appear out of the blue sky in otherwise very healthy people and who have a typical perfect lifestyle, and the remedies that modern medicine offers are not nice.  While proper lifestyle and nutrition can reduce the risks of future cancers, it does little to cure them once they are there.  Therefore, it is wise as early as possible to be aware of ways to prevent cancer before it shows up.

Edited by Steve5380

Hi Lonely57

I can understand how helpless you feel. It's hard to force yourself to go for high intensity exercise week after week. Each session feels

so torturous and takes so much out of you.

Do not think you must do high intensity. It is indeed very effective, but it is not suitable for everyone, especially one just starting out on his fitness journey. 

I recommend that you just start with walking. Track the number of steps you take daily on your phone. Is it 3000? Make it a point to reach 5,000 steps

daily. You can take a stroll after dinner, it's good for digestion and helps with sleep..Then when you reach 5,000 consistently for weeks and feel ready, you can adjust the target to 7,000. After that you can start to incorporate some brisk walking. Walk at a pace in which you need to focus in order to maintain the speed, but which does not leave you panting. 

But really, diet is the key thing if you want to lose weight. Without getting too complicated, just cut down about 10-20% of your caloric intake. For me personally, cutting down on rice/bread works best. So you might want to try that. And you can choose to eat more veggie if you feel hungry. Eat a balanced diet. And avoid drinks that may have a lot of calories.

Just these small changes in your lifestyle will make a lot of difference. No need for drastic action at the beginning. Later, when your fitness improves, if you decide to do higher intensity exercises, you may find that it's not as torturous and that you are more likely to stick to it.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:57 AM, Steve5380 said:

This should be of interest to all of us who want to preserve and improve our health,  in particular for @singalion, who has a negative opinion of fasting.  

Steve, Steve, Steve...

I don't have a negative opinion of fasting.

Excessive fasting has various bad side effects and may be counterproductive in loosing weight. they call it boomerang effect.

There is nothing to have a day per week where you eat less, drink more freshly pressed fruit juices and skip rice, potato, fries, fried food etc.

But don't go into "binge" fasting. during fasting the body sends signals that the body is starving and starts adding fat for "bad" days.

That is the problem.

the best is still if you intend to lose weight, slow down, watch your eating cycle such as not to skip breakfast, don't eat at late night but reduce the overall food intake slowly. Distribute the food intake into smaller portions, instead eating the whole packet of sweet biscuits, eat a low sugar yogurt instead.

Watch out for those Milo, 3 in 1 coffee drinks (both 50% sugar), drink a black tea or better green tea instead (add no sugar). You want it sweet go for chrysanthemum tea with honey (but the brand without sugar or sucrose)...

Size down the portions until you feel comfortable.

If hunger creeps in, don't go for the chips, crackers, biscuits, bring a banana from home or an apple and buy some nuts and pack them into small portions to bring along.

Ask for half rice on the main dish, eat less sides, skip anything that is fried or very oily go for more vegetable instead of sides, make your own salads, drink plenty of water combine this with some sports (start slow), eat more fruits or nuts as a snack instead of cakes, sugary items, sweets. Have one or two days where you allow yourself some chocolate or pastry. Plenty people forget also the impact of alcohol. Reduce drinking alcohol when you intend to slim down.

All the way, please drink at least 2 liter of water or tea.

Edited by singalion

On 11/23/2021 at 1:09 PM, lonely57 said:

I have been trying to cut down carbs but it always find its way back. I don't really Starve myself by going on a crash diet. In fact my appetite has been increasing lately. What would have made me feel satiated back then is still not enough and I will even feel like eating even though I'm quite bloated. Maybe I'll try a multi vit. I don't think my diet has lots of essential vitamins. 

Vitamins can complement when in lack but note some people have difficulties in taking in the artificial vitamins, I mean the ingestion part.

I would advise you to increase your natural food intake by fresh fruits to increase vitamins.

And don't forget on vegetable. Vegetable contain healthy minerals.

I m not promoting a vegetarian lifestyle, as meat is also needed to complement your diet.

In particular since the WFH and Covid office food court closures I started buying more fruits. I have about 2  fruit days in the week where I don't eat out but just eat different fruits at the office for lunch combined with a 200gr yoghurt.

You might feel hungry after some time, but then drink a green tea and eat another banana.

In South East Asia you are spoiled with healthy fruits and if you are too lazy for cutting them on your own, the food courts and most office food courts have a food stall, where you can buy cut fresh fruits.

Multi vitamins are sold much too expensively here in Singapore. It is a shame.

(Mustafa has a Canadian brand, that goes for 39 S$ for 100 tablets) the rest of the chains are just too expensive compared to prices in Europe.

I still don't understand why Singapore does not allow the sale of multivitamin tablets "European style", which go for S$1.20 for 20 to 30 tablets per box.

Edited by singalion

I do have a history of a vitamin D deficiency from my health check-up 2 years back. Somehow.. I gained like 3-4 kgs since the start of the year. I believe that I've been exercising quite regularly but the weight gain is depressing. 

This is a common issue around Asia and South East Asia.

Don't avoid for going into the sun.

Have a half hour walk on weekends outside during daytime and don't shy the sun. You can cover your head with a hat but leave your arms and legs exposed.

To "absorb" Vitamin D you need the sun.

I am aware Asians are scared to death to get some tan or they could become darker but this is a myth if you don't expose yourself excessively to the sun.

Half an hour to one hour twice a week would suffice to keep your Vitamin D levels healthy. 

Vitamin D controls insulin flows and prevents diabetes and deficiency can be a factor for low mood also.

Getting sufficient sunlight is the best way to help the body produce enough vitamin D. Plentiful food sources of vitamin D include:

• fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, and tuna
  • egg yolks
  • cheese
  • beef liver
  • mushrooms
  • fortified milk
  • fortified cereals and juices

Im reaching 30 soon but I don't think it's a warm up thing. In fact after 30 min I get even more demotivated and distracted.

Ever since a little heartbreak 2 yrs ago I've started heading to the office gym every weekday if I'm in office and have continued doing so at home with dumbbells while under wfh arrangement. It's just lately I have difficulty in pushing through my workout. I've even started adding evening runs every 2 nights on top of my daily routine. Yet I've started gaining weight, starting to lose focus and taking way too long breaks in between sets, run timing hasn't improved, frequently feel like giving up mid run, and haven't been able to increase my workout weight. I've actually thought of going for MMA classes actually. That's considered as high intensity right? 

Maybe it is just because too much routine in your exercise skipped in.

Reading above I would recommend to you an exercise buddy and also to change your sport patterns. Don't just do gym and running.

I m not sure if you are a smoker but running short of breath and losing stamina could be a sign of smoking "backlash".

Otherwise gaining weight could be a result of too late sleep, lack of sufficient sleep, same as doing sports much too late like night time and then getting into this sleeping much to late routine.

Lack of sleep or sleeping not sufficiently (below 7 hours) contributes to weight gain.

On the giving up mid way: I see this as a result on a bore in your sports routine. Add some more thrill to it, change patterns.

Do something different, instead of going to a gym, go swimming twice a week or play tennis.

Maybe some group sport (soccer, hockey, basketball) would do good also.

Your bore might be a result also because you do everything alone.

Most effective should be a sports interested boyfriend. The heartbreak 2 years ago should not prevent you from getting into a new relationship with someone.

We all know the pain, but please move on and be ready to find you new match or sport match partner...

On 11/29/2021 at 12:48 PM, Derren said:

Hi Lonely57

I can understand how helpless you feel. It's hard to force yourself to go for high intensity exercise week after week. Each session feels

so torturous and takes so much out of you.

Do not think you must do high intensity. It is indeed very effective, but it is not suitable for everyone, especially one just starting out on his fitness journey. 

I recommend that you just start with walking. Track the number of steps you take daily on your phone. Is it 3000? Make it a point to reach 5,000 steps

daily. You can take a stroll after dinner, it's good for digestion and helps with sleep..Then when you reach 5,000 consistently for weeks and feel ready, you can adjust the target to 7,000. After that you can start to incorporate some brisk walking. Walk at a pace in which you need to focus in order to maintain the speed, but which does not leave you panting. 

But really, diet is the key thing if you want to lose weight. Without getting too complicated, just cut down about 10-20% of your caloric intake. For me personally, cutting down on rice/bread works best. So you might want to try that. And you can choose to eat more veggie if you feel hungry. Eat a balanced diet. And avoid drinks that may have a lot of calories.

Just these small changes in your lifestyle will make a lot of difference. No need for drastic action at the beginning. Later, when your fitness improves, if you decide to do higher intensity exercises, you may find that it's not as torturous and that you are more likely to stick to it.

to be fair. i have started my journey for quite a while now. it feels like im already at a plateau and i cant progress further. someone told me that if i dont try to push myself i wont see any results and that i should get out of the comfort zone and do exercises that i will struggle with. i just cant bring myself to push further and its getting harder to motivate myself to even carry on doing my routine exercises. 

diet wise, i must admit i dont eat vegetables cuz im lazy to cook them. i used to buy frozen spinach and broccoli which i just microwave them but even those are hard to swallow. im actually thinking of just eating raw broccoli though. drinks wise. my high calorie drinks is mostly fresh milk. i find myself very tired lately.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:04 PM, singalion said:

Maybe it is just because too much routine in your exercise skipped in.

Reading above I would recommend to you an exercise buddy and also to change your sport patterns. Don't just do gym and running.

I m not sure if you are a smoker but running short of breath and losing stamina could be a sign of smoking "backlash".

Otherwise gaining weight could be a result of too late sleep, lack of sufficient sleep, same as doing sports much too late like night time and then getting into this sleeping much to late routine.

Lack of sleep or sleeping not sufficiently (below 7 hours) contributes to weight gain.

On the giving up mid way: I see this as a result on a bore in your sports routine. Add some more thrill to it, change patterns.

Do something different, instead of going to a gym, go swimming twice a week or play tennis.

Maybe some group sport (soccer, hockey, basketball) would do good also.

Your bore might be a result also because you do everything alone.

Most effective should be a sports interested boyfriend. The heartbreak 2 years ago should not prevent you from getting into a new relationship with someone.

We all know the pain, but please move on and be ready to find you new match or sport match partner...

im not really against fasting, i mean i do fast during ramadhan but when i break fast during that month it usually ends up as a feast and i have no self control lol. 

i at least get 6 hours of sleep in? i think? probably should sleep more i guess. i dont smoke and i dont drink alcohol. 

i dont find my routine to be boring. its just that i do get fatigued after doing it and i really really really want to sleep it off but since i would do my weight exercises during lunch and then continue working after that i cant. i mean i can do it after work but then i also do some other exercise (usually my cardio) after work. 

ive tried taking a day to rest.. i got super anxious and just ended up picking up my weights. for the amount of weights i do, im not really getting anywhere either. =/

maybe ill try sleeping earlier. and i think i wanna replace some of my cardio sessions with those mma classes i mentioned earlier. its so hard to get started though. 

On 11/29/2021 at 11:49 PM, lonely57 said:

diet wise, i must admit i dont eat vegetables cuz im lazy to cook them.

Take carrots, just need to peel and easy to eat raw.

Buy salads, but not the processed and washed one's, just wash them, add some good olive oil and vinegar*.

Eat raw ginger.

You can even eat mushrooms raw. (or add to your salad).

Buy a handy fruit peeler, easy to peel plenty of fruits like guava.

* surely spices etc. There are plenty of easy to make salad recipes on the net...

Edited by singalion

i mean i do fast during ramadhan

it is difficult to cover on this as it touches religion.

As seen, I m vocal against fasting and one month is just too long.

Further, people splurge into eating extremely much and fast with plenty of sweets after iftar. Most Ramadhan takers end up fatter and need to cut down 3 months or more after the fasting season... It was quite smart from someone to start the iftar with fresh dates and then slowly go into other dishes... but nowadays...

In my personal view I would never disallow to drink during any fasting (even religious fasting).

That is the positive thing during the "Tamil" fasting periods as they are permitted to drink coconut milk.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:34 AM, singalion said:

Steve, Steve, Steve...

I don't have a negative opinion of fasting.

Excessive fasting has various bad side effects and may be counterproductive in loosing weight. they call it boomerang effect.

There is nothing to have a day per week where you eat less, drink more freshly pressed fruit juices and skip rice, potato, fries, fried food etc.

But don't go into "binge" fasting. during fasting the body sends signals that the body is starving and starts adding fat for "bad" days.

That is the problem.

the best is still if you intend to lose weight, slow down, watch your eating cycle such as not to skip breakfast, don't eat at late night but reduce the overall food intake slowly. Distribute the food intake into smaller portions, instead eating the whole packet of sweet biscuits, eat a low sugar yogurt instead.

Watch out for those Milo, 3 in 1 coffee drinks (both 50% sugar), drink a black tea or better green tea instead (add no sugar). You want it sweet go for chrysanthemum tea with honey (but the brand without sugar or sucrose)...

Size down the portions until you feel comfortable.

If hunger creeps in, don't go for the chips, crackers, biscuits, bring a banana from home or an apple and buy some nuts and pack them into small portions to bring along.

Ask for half rice on the main dish, eat less sides, skip anything that is fried or very oily go for more vegetable instead of sides, make your own salads, drink plenty of water combine this with some sports (start slow), eat more fruits or nuts as a snack instead of cakes, sugary items, sweets. Have one or two days where you allow yourself some chocolate or pastry. Plenty people forget also the impact of alcohol. Reduce drinking alcohol when you intend to slim down.

All the way, please drink at least 2 liter of water or tea.

Oh well...  then I am sorry I misinterpreted you.  Now I realize that your message is:  "Don't do anything in excess".   With this, we fully agree. :) 

I have also to comment on your phrase:  "If hunger creeps in, don't go for the chips, crackers, biscuits, bring a banana from home or an apple and buy some nuts and pack them into small portions to bring along."  HERE LIES THE DIFFERENCE:   When we irresistibly snack,  it is NOT "hunger creeping in".   It is ADDICTION creeping in.  Being well fed like we all are,  it takes something like one day of fasting for real hunger to creep in.  And here is one big benefit of fasting this long:  we learn to differentiate between what is hunger and what is habit,  and we can then realize...   how bad and damaging the habit is!  😲  and how much better off we are when we fight it.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:49 AM, lonely57 said:

to be fair. i have started my journey for quite a while now. it feels like im already at a plateau and i cant progress further. someone told me that if i dont try to push myself i wont see any results and that i should get out of the comfort zone and do exercises that i will struggle with. i just cant bring myself to push further and its getting harder to motivate myself to even carry on doing my routine exercises. 

diet wise, i must admit i dont eat vegetables cuz im lazy to cook them. i used to buy frozen spinach and broccoli which i just microwave them but even those are hard to swallow. im actually thinking of just eating raw broccoli though. drinks wise. my high calorie drinks is mostly fresh milk. i find myself very tired lately.

im not really against fasting, i mean i do fast during ramadhan but when i break fast during that month it usually ends up as a feast and i have no self control lol. 

i at least get 6 hours of sleep in? i think? probably should sleep more i guess. i dont smoke and i dont drink alcohol. 

i dont find my routine to be boring. its just that i do get fatigued after doing it and i really really really want to sleep it off but since i would do my weight exercises during lunch and then continue working after that i cant. i mean i can do it after work but then i also do some other exercise (usually my cardio) after work. 

ive tried taking a day to rest.. i got super anxious and just ended up picking up my weights. for the amount of weights i do, im not really getting anywhere either. =/

maybe ill try sleeping earlier. and i think i wanna replace some of my cardio sessions with those mma classes i mentioned earlier. its so hard to get started though. 

I identify with your situation.  I have also felt many times that I have reached a plateau and further progress is out of reach.

What I failed to realize at the time is that when at this plateau,  OVER TIME  progress is also made.   In our body, all things inside don't grow uniformly at the same rate.  Muscles grow faster than ligaments and our adaptation of the nervous system to exert more force.  Sustained workout, integrated over time, is one form of progress.

One hears enough this idea that we have to break through a plateau pushing ourselves and struggle.  It is all a matter of objectives:  if you plan to compete in weight lifting or body building,  then perhaps there is some urgency to attain results fast.  If in your mind you have this idea that you are too small and you need to get bigger to look good, then there is also a sense of urgency.  But if your objective is to be and remain healthy and strong, with whatever figure is natural for your body,  you should be happy TO BE at a plateau (instead of having reached the valley of couch potato with rising belly :lol:)

Edited by Steve5380

On 11/30/2021 at 12:20 AM, Steve5380 said:

Oh well...  then I am sorry I misinterpreted you.  Now I realize that your message is:  "Don't do anything in excess".   With this, we fully agree. :) 

I have also to comment on your phrase:  "If hunger creeps in, don't go for the chips, crackers, biscuits, bring a banana from home or an apple and buy some nuts and pack them into small portions to bring along."  HERE LIES THE DIFFERENCE:   When we irresistibly snack,  it is NOT "hunger creeping in".   It is ADDICTION creeping in.  Being well fed like we all are,  it takes something like one day of fasting for real hunger to creep in.  And here is one big benefit of fasting this long:  we learn to differentiate between what is hunger and what is habit,  and we can then realize...   how bad and damaging the habit is!  😲  and how much better off we are when we fight it.

But those who reduce food intake

know the stomach rumbling.

Hunger creeping in I meant you start feeling hungry. By all means don't let your body start to feel like starving. My advice was to have something small to eat on hand (banana, nuts or an apple) instead of emptying a 300gr pack of potato ships. after a week or two of reduced food intake, you probably don't need such healthy snacks (banana, apple) any longer. An apple as a snack won't do much harm...

On 11/29/2021 at 12:16 PM, singalion said:

But those who reduce food intake

know the stomach rumbling.

Hunger creeping in I meant you start feeling hungry. By all means don't let your body start to feel like starving. My advice was to have something small to eat on hand (banana, nuts or an apple) instead of emptying a 300gr pack of potato ships. after a week or two of reduced food intake, you probably don't need such healthy snacks (banana, apple) any longer. An apple as a snack won't do much harm...

Yes, and those who systematically overeat feel their stomach growling.  This is why in America, the manufacturers of over-the-counter products that 'aid' digestion, like alka- seltzer, have such a big business. 

Let's not confuse hunger with appetite.  And let's not raise the specter of STARVATION.

Hunger:  a feeling of discomfort or weakness caused by lack of food.  This can be positive, like feeling exhausted after heavy exercise.

Appetite: a natural DESIRE to satisfy a body need, especially for food.  This can happen at any time after finishing with digestion.  No need to act on "desires".

It helps our good figure if we recognize snacking as DESIRE and not as NEED.

Starving: suffering or dying from lack of food.   No intelligent person practicing fasting will ever reach this point.

BTW,  apples are very healthy. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" :) 

On 11/30/2021 at 7:45 AM, Guest Fatty said:

Make sure he is cute or hunky and you lust after him 

That could turnout as a boomerang also, namely in depression and frustration, similar as the boomerang in gaining weight after fasting...if the personal trainer is straight as fuck!

Better to look for a gay gym or sports compagnion...

At least it's safer...

On 11/30/2021 at 3:04 AM, Steve5380 said:

Starving: suffering or dying from lack of food.   No intelligent person practicing fasting will ever reach this point.

I assume you haven't heard about hunger strike.

The former Prime Minister of Georgia seems to be in critical danger.

On 11/30/2021 at 3:04 AM, Steve5380 said:

Yes, and those who systematically overeat feel their stomach growling.  This is why in America, the manufacturers of over-the-counter products that 'aid' digestion, like alka- seltzer, have such a big business. 

Let's not confuse hunger with appetite.  And let's not raise the specter of STARVATION.

Hunger:  a feeling of discomfort or weakness caused by lack of food.  This can be positive, like feeling exhausted after heavy exercise.

Appetite: a natural DESIRE to satisfy a body need, especially for food.  This can happen at any time after finishing with digestion.  No need to act on "desires".

It helps our good figure if we recognize snacking as DESIRE and not as NEED.

Steve, Steve, Steve,

Don't kill motivation!

Consider those guy who intend to slim down ...

The healthy snack such as an apple, orange, banana, nuts, (unsalted , non caramelised etc) , non sugar containing oat bar is still better than chips or local fish cracker (keropok) ...

That was the point!

Edited by singalion

Oh I totally understand.

I think you are probably doing too much. Yeah, and I totally understand the feeling of being anxious when not working out for even just one day. But your body needs to recover, you can't push it everyday to exhaustion; the body will rebel and affect your mind. Do read up about overreaching and overtraining. Sometimes, less is really more.

1. Sleep more, and in accordance with your circadian rhythm. 

2. Have at least 1 active recovery day per week. These are days you go for walks or cycle in the park, or do some yoga etc. You are still active but you do not exert yourself to the same extent. 

3. Periodise training into some days when you go harder, and days when you go lighter. 

4. Cross-train, don't keep taxing the same system and muscle groups everyday. 

5. Focus on nutrition: experiment with more protein, or more carbs etc. Eat a variety of fruits. Make salad or veggie broth. 

6. Supplements. Check with doctor if you may have any deficiencies.

7. Monitor your stress levels. If work or life is more stressful at certain periods, you need to dial back on your training intensity. Still hit the gym, but bring intensity down a notch. Recognise that intense exercise is also a form of stress. 

PS: I think MMA is even more siong than cardio. But it is probably more fun and that could be motivating. The point remains that you need to monitor your body and ensure that you don't over-stress yourself.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:58 PM, singalion said:

I assume you haven't heard about hunger strike.

The former Prime Minister of Georgia seems to be in critical danger.

NO!  I have never heard that a hunger strike is used as a way to lose weight, a topic of discussion here.

Although that former Georgia Prime Minister looked like he could lose some.  Fortunately he has agreed to end his hunger strike.  Maybe he lost enough weight? :lol:

On 11/29/2021 at 7:06 PM, singalion said:

Steve, Steve, Steve,

Don't kill motivation!

Consider those guy who intend to slim down ...

The healthy snack such as an apple, orange, banana, nuts, (unsalted , non caramelised etc) , non sugar containing oat bar is still better than chips or local fish cracker (keropok) ...

That was the point!

Singalion, Singalion, Singalion,

Don't let motivation kill you!

I'm considering very much those who want to slim down,  that is why I mentioned intermittent fasting, which can make motivation work.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Tired also

Me too. Tired. No energy or motivation. 

I have enough sleep but feel mentally exhausted. 

Not sure what to do. 

Almost feels like a prisoner trapped by own body, circumstances. Invisible obstacles. 

On 11/30/2021 at 5:19 PM, Guest Tired also said:

Me too. Tired. No energy or motivation. 

I have enough sleep but feel mentally exhausted. 

Not sure what to do. 

Almost feels like a prisoner trapped by own body, circumstances. Invisible obstacles. 

Are you experiencing difficulties/high stress levels at work or in your relationships? Any issues troubling you?

Are you eating a well-balanced diet? Done a check-up with a doctor?

Do you exercise regularly? It doesn't have to be much, just 15-min of brisk walking in the neighbourhood park every evening after dinner can do wonders to your sense of well-being.

You mentioned you have enough sleep. is it high quality sleep? Or do you keep waking up? Any possibility of sleep apnea? 

Are your weekends restful? Do you plan activities that rejuvenate you? Maybe a massage?

Tried meditation? 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.