Male HQ

Discussion on Loh Kean Yew (compiled)

Guest cutie

Guest Guest Non Fan of Loh

Really great job and well done to Loh. Though not his fan but from the news can see that he has put in a lot of effort and sacrifices to come to this stage.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:23 PM, Guest Guest Non Fan of Loh said:

Really great job and well done to Loh. Though not his fan but from the news can see that he has put in a lot of effort and sacrifices to come to this stage.

Yes, he deserves to win. Done proud to Singapore.

there are already some disgusting msians online that say msia won cos loh kean yew was born in msia.

yucks!

loh kean yew was born in msia but came to SG when he was 13.

served his National Service in SG to earn his citizenship.

SG is also the one who is responsible in training & grooming him.

SG pride!

msia can go f off.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:37 PM, Guest Guest said:

there are already some disgusting msians online that say msia won cos loh kean yew was born in msia.

yucks!

SG pride!

msia can go f off.

Not wrong to say that he is born in msia. Even though he is SG citizen, the fact that he is born in msia never change. Same like those that represent SG from table tennis that won also born in china lor.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:41 PM, Guest guest said:

Not wrong to say that he is born in msia. Even though he is SG citizen, the fact that he is born in msia never change. Same like those that represent SG from table tennis that won also born in china lor.

sorry there is a big difference.

those born in china and represent SG in table tennis, they are already top professional players. money lure them here and they get their citizenship easily.

loh kean yew came to SG when he was just 13. it is SG that groom him and train him from young.

he also bother to earn his citizenship by serving NS.

for that i respect him. i call him a singaporean.

his dream is to get a gold medal for SG in olympics. Kudos to him!

I love watching badminton. It has been inspiring to see Loh's progress over the last few weeks. Winning the Dutch Open in October and then the BWF Super 500 title at the Hylo Open in Germany last month he was obviously very much an in-form player. But his World Championship win was superb. He is so fast around the court. Since he started training with Viktor Axelsen, the World No. 1 in the rankings and winner of the Olympic Gold Medal, in Dubai, he seems to have gained greater sharpness and greater self-confidence in his game. 

Congratulations to Loh Kean Yew and to SIngapore.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:37 PM, Guest Guest said:

yucks!

SG pride!

msia can go f off.

But take a look at the racist posts against Malaysians here at BW in other threads...

When the Mainland Chinese girls, that were nationalised into Singaporeans but failed to win in table tennis, your words were quite different...

You need to be consistent in your reasoning.

Which means, don't judge on people who hold the Singaporean citizenship irrespective of their background.

Edited by singalion

On 12/19/2021 at 11:58 PM, Guest Guest said:

sorry there is a big difference.

those born in china and represent SG in table tennis, they are already top professional players. money lure them here and they get their citizenship easily.

loh kean yew came to SG when he was just 13. it is SG that groom him and train him from young.

he also bother to earn his citizenship by serving NS.

for that i respect him. i call him a singaporean.

his dream is to get a gold medal for SG in olympics. Kudos to him!

But the initial spark his for passion for badminton was when he's in Malaysia and not Singapore. So conclusion for me is that its partial. 

On 12/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, Kimochi said:

But the initial spark his for passion for badminton was when he's in Malaysia and not Singapore. So conclusion for me is that its partial. 

things can go both way for a 13 years old.

his case is abit different from those money-bought foreigners in that he wasn't a top form player yet.

and he bother to serve NS. this to me is enough to call him a singaporean, as compared to some JLB JHK.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, Kimochi said:

Nevermind, same same, 

On 12/20/2021 at 2:43 PM, LoveCum said:

In Malaysian he be crowned a Datok, free cars, free house etc

An olympic gold would give him 1 million SGD or 3 million RM though he dont get all but still good enough. 

He moved to Singapore when he was 13 after receiving a scholarship from the Singapore Badminton Association.

Loh told The Straits Times (ST) in an interview:

"When the time came for me to move here, I was angry because my friends were all in Malaysia. But my mother already bought the ticket to send me here, so what to do?

So slowly, I started to make friends and adapt to life here."

4. Speaking in English and not having friends were his biggest challenges when he first came to Singapore.

5. He went to the Singapore Sports School.

6. He studied in Republic Polytechnic before dropping out to become a professional player.

Loh Kean Yew got the worst possible draw in the World Championships. His win here is very deserving as he did not avoid playing top players to win. 

He beat world no.1 Axelson and no.3 Antonsen and except in the 2nd round, all his opponents are higher ranked than him. 

His mother had the foresight to send him to Singapore and it paid off handsomely. The competition in Malaysia is stiff as they have a long history of producing world class players. He might not have been selected to rep Malaysia had he stayed on as Malaysia would have a pool of top players to choose from.

He served National Service and still managed to find time to train while serving is very admirable. In addition, he quit his poly studies to concentrate on badminton and is proud to show off the Singapore flag.  For that, he is as Singaporean as one can be. 

In the entire tournament, he did not allow the enormity of the event to get to him and played each match as if it was a normal competition. The commentator said he played as if it was a normal Saturday night match for KY in the SF. This is the sign of greatness and his bubbly and positive attitude will bring him even greater success. 

Once a World Champion, always a World Champion. (Even the great LCW did not manage to win this event. He was 3x runners-up.)

Edited by 7heaven
World Champion

On 12/20/2021 at 12:08 AM, Guest yum said:

So cute, i like!

loh-kean-yew-beat-viktor-axelsen.jpg

?itemId=6992803524170009857&location=0&a

No doubts he is cute, his face more like pretty face. Saw his photo when he was 13 year old in one of the article, his face looks so girl.

On 12/20/2021 at 2:38 PM, HendryTan said:

1. Guys please don't split hair. 

We celebrate the underdog (unseeded) rising to the World Champion.

Go listen to his ChannelNewsAsia Interview, he sounds so Singaporean.

For me HE IS SINGAPOREAN.

Agreed, he really sounds so Singaporean, with the repeating of yah, yah, yah when he talks. But i find that he does not behave like Singaporean, as can see that during all the media interview, even though he got the world championship, he still sounds quite humble and down to earth guy. I think maybe for most typical Singaporeans might become big headed and sounds not so humble and sense arrogant in them when they achieve something big?! This is what i personally think. 

His victory only shows how small Spore is, and how inadequate and scarce our human resources are.

Frankly, socio-economically, there is not much difference between a Msian and a Sporean,  We used to be one, and we are still connected in the closest way!

LKY's deserved win made me think of an ST article:

"Which leads me to wonder if Singapore will ever produce an international literary success like Tash Aw.

... one reason Singapore doesn't produce more exceptional people in, say, the creative area, it's the pressure.

"The pressure crushes too many of them (Singaporeans) who might have been exceptional but they are not able just to rise to their own level," he says.

"So they are constantly striving to reach a level imposed on them by the rest of society, by school teachers, by their family."

In Malaysia, there is no expectation of success, he says. "If you're successful, people are happy. But if you don't make it, you're basically measured to the mediocrity around you, and so there is no pressure. And when there's no pressure, exceptional people tend to find their own level...."

On 12/21/2021 at 11:41 AM, SunshineQQ said:

I have been following all his matches in the world championsip tournament on Youtube. After he beated Viktor in 1st round, I knew he has very chance to win the championship. His calf muscle damn sexy.. 😆

very difficult to find topless picture of him.

Guest Hazily Instructor
On 12/20/2021 at 11:10 PM, Guest Viennetta Scoops Out Betta said:

First of all, I appreciate your efforts to clean up the discussion, @HendryTan ... but ... you missed a few spots. Posts number 5, 6, 712, 1316, and 20 are related to the tangent racist attacks on Malaysia as well. That means, in my humble opinion as a Respectful Guest, those posts should also be split into a separate thread and moved to the Flaming Room (or else tacked onto the end of an old thread in the Flaming Room).

I agree. Please split off those seven racist or racist-related posts and send them to the Flaming Room. Then this thread can truly take its place at Blowing Wind as a positive celebration of Singapore's historic first-ever BWF World Champion Loh Kean Yew. Thanks.

On 12/21/2021 at 9:58 AM, HendryTan said:

We REMOVED all the Tangent discussion which deviated from the MAIN TOPIC.

Hendry Tan

Admin cum Moderator

I like your approach, style and manner as a moderator. Instead of another style of using big fonts or red letters with exclamation marks. 

Back to the subject. Reading lky here and elsewhere reminds me of a dead person, lol….

He has a nice smile.

spacer.png

Loh Kean Yew at a press conference at the Changi Experience Studio in Jewel.

Happy - is what we should be, always.

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

Loh Kean Yew showed his determination to raise his ceiling when he started training with Viktor Axelsen last summer. In order to be the best, he needed to be confident that he belonged on the same court as the best, so training with the Olympic gold medalist from Denmark left him no choice but to improve or leave. He took his early beatings admirably, got better, and is now Singapore's very first BWF World Champion.

• 9 months later...

https://mothership.sg/2022/09/loh-kean-yew-grab-ambassador/

Loh Kean Yew is Grab S'pore's 1st brand ambassador

He's a busy man.

Syahindah Ishak | clock.png September 29, 2022, 04:03 PM

loh-kean-yew.jpg

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/mothershipsg

2021's badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew is now a brand ambassador for Grab Singapore.

On Thursday (Sep. 29), Grab said in a press release that Loh is its first Singapore brand ambassador.

Why Loh Kean Yew?

According to Grab Singapore's managing director Yee Wee Tang, Loh has worked hard for his dreams and is "an inspiration for many Singaporeans".

"His story of growth really captivated us at Grab. In many ways, Kean Yew's journey as an athlete mirrors our own journey to becoming the leading superapp in Southeast Asia today," Yee added.

"We are privileged to be working with Singapore's first badminton world champion and we hope our platform will continue to bring convenience and value to him and many others who live such fast-paced lives. Look out for our exciting upcoming campaigns with him."

He became a Grab delivery rider for a day

To officially launch the partnership, Loh joined Grab's immersion programme for a day and became a GrabFood delivery-partner.

A video of his experience as a Grab delivery rider was posted on Grab's social media platforms.

In the video, Loh is clad in the green GrabFood uniform and can be seen cycling around Singapore to make deliveries to five customers.

Large-GIF-876x480-1.gif

Large-GIF-876x480-2.gif

Large-GIF-876x480-3.gif

Here's the full video:

Grab x Loh Kean Yew campaigns

According to Grab, the partnership with Loh will also include these upcoming interactive campaigns:

The Kean Yew Rally Instagram AR filter game and giveaway

Participants can stand to win a badminton racket autographed by Loh when they participate in this game and giveaway, which will be hosted on the @grab_sg Instagram page.

The contest will run from Oct. 6 to Oct. 31.

More information on this campaign will be revealed on Grab and Loh's social media channels.

GrabFood Hot Deals

In this campaign, GrabFood consumers can enjoy up to 40 per cent off their meals from Oct. 6 to Oct. 31.

To enjoy this promotion, you can look out for the "GrabFood Hot Deals" banner or icon on the GrabFood homepage in-app.

Exclusive Grab x Loh Kean Yew GrabGifts card design

There will also be a limited edition Grab x Loh Kean Yew-designed e-voucher.

Grab users can send this e-voucher to their friends and loved ones who are fans of Loh.

More details on this will be shared on Grab's marketing channels and in-app soon.

• G_M changed the title to Loh Kean Yew is Grab S'pore's 1st brand ambassador
On 10/1/2022 at 11:32 PM, Kimochi said:

He now working in grab delivery already ? That escalated quickly.

He is just a spokesperson for Grab delivery, and he only worked 1 day as a Grab delivery for show, he is not working as Grab delivery permanently. Actually why would he needs to work as Grab delivery? Don't think he is in need for cash?

On 10/2/2022 at 10:13 AM, Guest guest said:

He is just a spokesperson for Grab delivery, and he only worked 1 day as a Grab delivery for show, he is not working as Grab delivery permanently. Actually why would he needs to work as Grab delivery? Don't think he is in need for cash?

Haha that was sarcasm. Work for grab for a day become ambassador... 🤣🤣🤣😆😆😆😅😅😅

On 10/4/2022 at 9:25 PM, Kimochi said:

Haha that was sarcasm. Work for grab for a day become ambassador... 🤣🤣🤣😆😆😆😅😅😅

I think he should become ambassador first then go work as grab delivery for a day?!

Not even 1 day. He only deliver to 5 customers!!!

You dumb or what? He’s an ambassador, he didn’t sign up to become a delivery guy. This is just a gimmick for publicity.

On 10/6/2022 at 3:39 PM, Guest Guest said:

My towel will drop at door if I m juz out fr shower receiving e food.🤣

Towel drop also no use if the delivery guy is not a gay.

• G_M changed the title to Discussion on Loh Kean Yew (compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.