Male HQ

CNA - Inside Maximum Security Series

Guest Guest

On 1/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, passinthenight said:

I enjoyed the 2nd episode as it is deals mainly with their 

anguish , frustrations and inability to deal with the pain they have caused their loved ones.

The prison wardens' role seems to be more like a social worker than keeping the big bad prisoner in check.

I did get emotional when Boon found out that he had lost is Mum.....when reading the newspaper.

How could that possibly happen....the authorities on the outside surely would contact the Prison authorities to let him know.

Anyway, looking forward to episode 3.

Maybe his mum was estranged to him and didn't want him to know.

But I don't think the Prison will have all that info on hand. The mother wasn't a regular visitor also.

Mostly it should be a relative who will inform the prison if a relative has died. But if there is none, then the prisoner won't get the info.

On the social worker of the prison guard, don't forget it is an episode from a Singaporean TV channel.

I don't think they will show fights or other nasty things happening in jail...

It is laudable that they take such parts like social workers, but how is it in real? How often can they talk to the prison guards?

I tend to be a bit skeptic...

Also note in this film only prisoners in single cells are portrayed.

It was never said, what the reason was why these were in single cells?

On 1/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, passinthenight said:

I enjoyed the 2nd episode as it is deals mainly with their 

anguish , frustrations and inability to deal with the pain they have caused their loved ones.

The prison wardens' role seems to be more like a social worker than keeping the big bad prisoner in check.

I did get emotional when Boon found out that he had lost is Mum.....when reading the newspaper.

Precisely,  they were only reading old newspaper that was 2 weeks ago, why? Cant SPH donate those unsold paper to them?

Anyway, is a special documentary by CNA,  so just watch it with a pinch of salt, scene should have been beautified, i m sure a lot that cannot be seen or told have been edited as usual.

Edited by lonelyglobe

On 1/26/2022 at 7:55 AM, mith said:

cannot bring in... ipad are given for a 1.5hrs use only by the wardens, and each one has their own dedicated one. for example boon keng is cell 507, his ipad is labelled 507 too. i suppose one can access for news and such but cannot download any content/app. think they can also write electronic mail to their fam/gf/love ones etc.

notice they call it e-letter than email, i suppose there is a difference.  they are not allow to use email directly, so the email from their family might have been covert to format like pdf for them to read.  and when they reply maybe is via some other software not email, the prison need to scan thru the content before sending to their family i suppose.  in case there is any unlawful content.

I am surprised the prisons are run like institutions with lots of activities and programs. And there's quite abit of support given to the inmates!

I used to think that prisons are really just cells locking up inmates 24/7.

Guest An Ex-Prisoner’s Brother

I watched the 1st episode & find it interesting. Why? Because my brother is an ex-prisoner & he used to tell me stories about his prison life. Watching this documentary brings to life what I have heard all these while. 

By the time I watched the 2nd episode where the inmates got angry & frustrated when the family are not giving them the support they need to go through the prison life, all the 4-letters words start to come of my mind. 

If you observe, quite a few of inmates who face this situation, it is not their first time going into jail. My brother, for the past 30 years, has been going in & out. Each time he goes in, every 2 weeks, my poor mom (plus sometimes the siblings), has to take leave, take a cab all the way to Changi, go though the tight security of waiting, seeing him & then take a cab back. Each visit, he will also request for items like magazines. When we missed any of visitations, there will be ‘noise’ that we are not giving him the support. This process will go on for years. And when he was released, after few months, he will be back into drugs & get the loansharks to chase the family for the money he owe. They will splash pails of paint into the house, write it everywhere at the corridor & harassed us via phone or in-person. Police will only come in at a reactive mode. During one of the episodes, it became so intense that my family has to move house.

Eventually, my brother is caught by police for drugs & the whole cycle of prison visitation, he saying he will turn a new life, him coming out of prison & harassment by loan sharks, all will repeat again. Each cycle lasted for years & till date, the cycles lasted for the past 30 years, including the year where my dad passed away & I had to visit the prison to apply for an emergency request for him to see my dad for the last time. Note that while going through all these, all the family members still have our own lives to live & our work & personal commitments to make.

Now, my brother is 58 years ago. About nearly 3 years back, he was released. Last year, he met with an accident & suffered a 2nd degree burn.  For certain reason, the employer expected him to pay for the medical fee before reimbursing him. I paid $16K for the entire treatment.  After he has recovered, he ran away with the reimbursement. On top of that, he has given my family’s contact (including mine) to loansharks & the harassment cycle begins again.

Despite knowing I may lose the $16K when  I first came out the money, did I regret my decision? No, because I do not want him to think the family did not give him a chance to recover physically & lead a normal life. Do I wish that he will be back in prison & spend the rest of his remaining life in there? Yes, as that is the safest place for him. Will I visit him, even when one day my mom has passed away? No, because nobody owes him a living & he has to decide for himself how he wants to live his life, without or without anyone else’s support. 

I am not against giving inmates a second chance. But I feel this documentary portrays them as pitiful people who deserves a 2nd chance & it seems justified for them to get angry when their love ones decide to move on with their lives. In actual fact, the real victims are their love ones. 

To these inmates; if you want to start life anew, do it. No one owes you a living & you do not have the right to expect it from anyone to give you the support. 

On 1/26/2022 at 6:17 PM, quanjishou said:

notice they call it e-letter than email, i suppose there is a difference.  they are not allow to use email directly, so the email from their family might have been covert to format like pdf for them to read.  and when they reply maybe is via some other software not email, the prison need to scan thru the content before sending to their family i suppose.  in case there is any unlawful content.

yeah something like that... 

Guest NotThatGood

No one here noticed there isn't re-skilling or upskilling program for the inmates, the prison's programs are mostly disciplinary and some lifestyle activities, that's the reason most of them are incarcerated several times already. I thought Singapore is so perfect and cannot missed this thing.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:45 AM, Guest NotThatGood said:

No one here noticed there isn't re-skilling or upskilling program for the inmates, the prison's programs are mostly disciplinary and some lifestyle activities, that's the reason most of them are incarcerated several times already. I thought Singapore is so perfect and cannot missed this thing.

How you know dun have? They cant be showing everything in this CNA series.

Anyway, as much as they try to reskill or upskill inmates, at the end of the day if the inmates themselves are not willing to, then no one can help.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:01 AM, Guest An Ex-Prisoner’s Brother said:

Despite knowing I may lose the $16K when  I first came out the money, did I regret my decision? No, because I do not want him to think the family did not give him a chance to recover physically & lead a normal life. Do I wish that he will be back in prison & spend the rest of his remaining life in there? Yes, as that is the safest place for him. Will I visit him, even when one day my mom has passed away? No, because nobody owes him a living & he has to decide for himself how he wants to live his life, without or without anyone else’s support.

You should not be your brother's keeper, especially when your parents are no longer around.  Prison is by far his safest place, not just for him, but to avoid him hurting other people outside.  You should have cut ties immediately, he is not a child anymore.

Guest Opinion
On 1/27/2022 at 8:45 AM, Guest NotThatGood said:

Depending on the length of stay in prison.  There were people who study O or A level and took exam in the prison.  As for short term stay, they simply make you wash hospital laundry or cutleries or work that outside people not willing to do.  The prisoner should not be too concerned about learning new "skills" but to quickly get out of the cell.  Once they are released,  I am sure they can use their future skill credit to take courses, that fit their passion, be it culinary, Barista, forklifting,  hotel management...etc.   Most importantly, they need to secure a job first, as they are likely to need money for survival ass ex prisoner.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:01 AM, Guest An Ex-Prisoner’s Brother said:

I watched the 1st episode & find it interesting. Why? Because my brother is an ex-prisoner & he used to tell me stories about his prison life. Watching this documentary brings to life what I have heard all these while. 

By the time I watched the 2nd episode where the inmates got angry & frustrated when the family are not giving them the support they need to go through the prison life, all the 4-letters words start to come of my mind. 

If you observe, quite a few of inmates who face this situation, it is not their first time going into jail. My brother, for the past 30 years, has been going in & out. Each time he goes in, every 2 weeks, my poor mom (plus sometimes the siblings), has to take leave, take a cab all the way to Changi, go though the tight security of waiting, seeing him & then take a cab back. Each visit, he will also request for items like magazines. When we missed any of visitations, there will be ‘noise’ that we are not giving him the support. This process will go on for years. And when he was released, after few months, he will be back into drugs & get the loansharks to chase the family for the money he owe. They will splash pails of paint into the house, write it everywhere at the corridor & harassed us via phone or in-person. Police will only come in at a reactive mode. During one of the episodes, it became so intense that my family has to move house.

Eventually, my brother is caught by police for drugs & the whole cycle of prison visitation, he saying he will turn a new life, him coming out of prison & harassment by loan sharks, all will repeat again. Each cycle lasted for years & till date, the cycles lasted for the past 30 years, including the year where my dad passed away & I had to visit the prison to apply for an emergency request for him to see my dad for the last time. Note that while going through all these, all the family members still have our own lives to live & our work & personal commitments to make.

Now, my brother is 58 years ago. About nearly 3 years back, he was released. Last year, he met with an accident & suffered a 2nd degree burn.  For certain reason, the employer expected him to pay for the medical fee before reimbursing him. I paid $16K for the entire treatment.  After he has recovered, he ran away with the reimbursement. On top of that, he has given my family’s contact (including mine) to loansharks & the harassment cycle begins again.

I am not against giving inmates a second chance. But I feel this documentary portrays them as pitiful people who deserves a 2nd chance & it seems justified for them to get angry when their love ones decide to move on with their lives. In actual fact, the real victims are their love ones. 

To these inmates; if you want to start life anew, do it. No one owes you a living & you do not have the right to expect it from anyone to give you the support. 

Thanks for sharing.

Must have been not easy for you emotionally.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:27 AM, Guest Opinion said:

Depending on the length of stay in prison.  There were people who study O or A level and took exam in the prison. 

yes there is a prison school at tanah merah prison where qualified teachers prepare inmates for national exams.

in fact there is a lawyer who was an ex-convict who took his A levels in prisons, did well and qualify to read law at NUS.

Guest See Song

Not bad looking.. Nice to see but don't mess around with  him else he will come after you with a samurai sword or parang and hack you repeatedly without any hesitation. 😳

Guest Fat chance
On 1/27/2022 at 6:25 PM, Guest 280 said:

Can i go prison and get pregnant by him ?

He only have eyes on his chin bu wife. You can go to your cell and DIY while fantasizing him though. 🙄

Guest Fat chance 2
On 1/27/2022 at 6:35 PM, Guest Fat chance said:

He only have eyes on his chin bu wife. You can go to your cell and DIY while fantasizing him though. 🙄

He only have eyes on his chio bu wife. You can go to your cell and DIY while fantasizing him though. 🙄

Guest Manpower Shortage
On 1/27/2022 at 6:25 PM, Guest 280 said:

Can i go prison and get pregnant by him ?

Join the prison police, you get to see him everyday and he will strip to let you check his underwear for any dangerous equipment.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:14 PM, Guest Manpower Shortage said:

Join the prison police, you get to see him everyday and he will strip to let you check his underwear for any dangerous equipment.

They dun wear underwear

On 1/27/2022 at 2:10 PM, Guest Guest said:

yes there is a prison school at tanah merah prison where qualified teachers prepare inmates for national exams.

in fact there is a lawyer who was an ex-convict who took his A levels in prisons, did well and qualify to read law at NUS.

I made it to NUS law school after spending 10 years behind bars. I was 31, but not too late.

https://mothership.sg/2021/06/darren-tan-nus-law/

Guest If only..

Due to seeing him naked every day when you check his underwear as part of your duty as a prison officer,  you gradually became so aroused that you couldn't resist  your temptations  and decided to molest him.

Two of you get into a fight when he punched you and gave you a black eye. His prison term was extended due to the fight and you are convicted of the molestation and sentence to jail with caning.

News on the molestation spread in the prison. Your ex-prison colleagues and many of the inmates look at you with disgust and disdain in prison.  You feel very awkward  to be caned by your ex-colleagues. Your life in prison is getting miserable  with many people in prison either ignoring you or treating you coldly. You couldn't bear your days in prison and you asked for a psychiatrist. During your session with the psychiatrist, you broke down and shared "If only..."

Guest presumptuous
On 1/27/2022 at 9:45 PM, Guest If only.. said:

Due to seeing him naked every day when you check his underwear as part of your duty as a prison officer,  you gradually became so aroused that you couldn't resist  your temptations  and decided to molest him.

Two of you get into a fight when he punched you and gave you a black eye. His prison term was extended due to the fight and you are convicted of the molestation and sentence to jail with caning.

News on the molestation spread in the prison. Your ex-prison colleagues and many of the inmates look at you with disgust and disdain in prison.  You feel very awkward  to be caned by your ex-colleagues. Your life in prison is getting miserable  with many people in prison either ignoring you or treating you coldly. You couldn't bear your days in prison and you asked for a psychiatrist. During your session with the psychiatrist, you broke down and shared "If only..."

Please stop already. These audaciously wild fantasies are disrespectful to Graceson, and here we are expecting the straights to respect us and for 377A to be repealed.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:51 PM, Guest presumptuous said:

Please stop already. These audaciously wild fantasies are disrespectful to Graceson, and here we are expecting the straights to respect us and for 377A to be repealed.

if only there was a way to "like" posts made by guests.

The only dangerous equipment inside his underwear is the "gun" every man has.

Tell that to his diehard fans here  ! Lol !

Please lah, sexual orientation aside,  straights visiting BW forum are shocked by the sex fuelled topics here. So you can't  really blame them for thinking gays as sexual perverts.

You want gays to be respected here and  for 377A to be repealed, sure.. if all the sex fuelled topics are removed from BW, I think we have a better case of gaining society acceptance  faster.. else it will be a long road for gays to receive society recognition, equal  rights and for 377A to be repealed..

I watched the first episode of the docu-news series on CNA and I have to say that the Singapore prison is a lot better run than US prisons. Little known fact, the majority of the US prisons are operated by private contractors, not the state, much less the federal government. It is operated as a business, and for a while, it is in the interest of the prison to have as many inmates as possible, so that they can charge the state a fee per inmate. As a business, they also look at how to cut the costs down, and so things like recreation, continuing education, etc. vary a lot from state to state and prison to prison. In addition, the inmates provide a cheap source of labor and as they are prisoners, they are not subjected to the minimum wage. So a company can outsource a project to prison labor and save money.

i think the docu-news series is interesting and certainly shed light to a topic not many Singaporeans are aware of. 

Love. 

Guest Gun lover
On 1/27/2022 at 11:32 PM, Guest Right said:

The only dangerous equipment inside his underwear is the "gun" every man has.

Those gun sure fully loaded and remain undischarged. 

Guest Respectedly

If I am a rich businessman, I will employ them as my workers.  They all look so fit, good looking and has so much potential.   They should tell stories why they were in the situation, rather than their life in prision.  I find them very useful for many types of job like security guard, bouncer, restaurant manager, body guard...etc

On 1/28/2022 at 8:46 AM, Guest Respectedly said:

If I am a rich businessman, I will employ them as my workers.  They all look so fit, good looking and has so much potential.   They should tell stories why they were in the situation, rather than their life in prision.  I find them very useful for many types of job like security guard, bouncer, restaurant manager, body guard...etc

You do not need to be a businessman to employ them. You can approach the halfway house and express interest in engaging them for one-time task like house moving. 

Trust me, there is a reason why they need a very strict regimental life. Once, I engaged them for my house moving. 4 guys with tattoos came but 3 of them insist only the smallest size guy will do the work. My house moving took the longest time to get it done.  

On 1/28/2022 at 8:46 AM, Guest Respectedly said:

I would rather employ ugly looking, quiet hardworking ex-cons who are truly repentant as workers than good looking ex-cons who are unrepentant but are sweet talkers who are out to cheat you or blackmail you to sustain  their thrilling and hedonistic criminal lifestyle. 

Guest 犯贱冰冰

👋

On 1/28/2022 at 9:48 AM, robin said:

You do not need to be a businessman to employ them. You can approach the halfway house and express interest in engaging them for one-time task like house moving. 

Trust me, there is a reason why they need a very strict regimental life. Once, I engaged them for my house moving. 4 guys with tattoos came but 3 of them insist only the smallest size guy will do the work. My house moving took the longest time to get it done.  

reminds me of this place called the helping hand who employed ex convicts at kovan. used to pass by this place almost daily, sometimes get to see fit topless rugged looking guys doing manual work.

Guest I feel secured
On 1/28/2022 at 2:19 PM, Guest Guest said:

reminds me of this place called the helping hand who employed ex convicts at kovan. used to pass by this place almost daily, sometimes get to see fit topless rugged looking guys doing manual work.

Yes, very friendly people. You can engage them for moving services.  I tried them before.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:19 PM, Guest Guest said:

Their moving charges not cheap. 

• G_M changed the title to CNA - Inside Maximum Security Series
  • G_M locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.