Male HQ

CNY Discussion - what Lunar new year meant to you? (compiled)

Guest Andy

On 1/19/2022 at 11:21 PM, Guest GUEST said:

Just like another normal public holidays. This year only get to rest for 2 PH and needs to go back work on 3rd day CNY.

Most people will be on holiday mood by Friday 28 Jan (weekend before CNY).

Restaurant start to over charge cny dishes minium $168 .food court charge extra $1 on first day cny .Best to cook steamboat at home. Singapore pool making the most  money from citizens with attractive winning prizes.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:30 PM, bluerunner said:

Just another day but with most food stalls closed or charged at an exorbitant price. Rather inconvenient I must say. 

This year CNY quite short, i think most stalls only closed on first day of CNY. 2nd CNY should open.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:31 AM, Guest Lol said:

Most people will be on holiday mood by Friday 28 Jan (weekend before CNY).

Holiday mood but still need to go back office to work for 2 days.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest World expensive place
On 1/20/2022 at 11:54 AM, Guest Guest said:

Restaurant start to over charge cny dishes minium $168 .food court charge extra $1 on first day cny .Best to cook steamboat at home. Singapore pool making the most  money from citizens with attractive winning prizes.

The price will stay the same after that. It was their excuses to raise price. Once GST hike sometime this year, they will raise the price again.  That is why this country high cost of living is completely man made and unjustifiable relative to salary deflation.

Guest Got open
On 1/20/2022 at 11:26 PM, Guest GUEST said:

This year CNY quite short, i think most stalls only closed on first day of CNY. 2nd CNY should open.

My kopi tiam boss told me they will open on 1st day CNY for business. They sell chicken rice, fried bee hoon and poh piah.  But we still have enough leftover food from Eve dinner.  Otherwise love to ta bao poh piah.  It is good for single who stay alone, to patronise those shops if not cooking at home. Go search them out in your area. Some operate by Malaysian who can't return home. So they carry on their stalls to earn extra on 1st day CNY. 

On 1/29/2022 at 11:20 PM, Guest World expensive place said:

The price will stay the same after that. It was their excuses to raise price. Once GST hike sometime this year, they will raise the price again.  That is why this country high cost of living is completely man made and unjustifiable relative to salary deflation.

Forever hike up the price. Knn.

Some planning for luxurious funeral. That's why charging higher price. Nvr learn their lesson. Bastards!

On 1/29/2022 at 11:20 PM, Guest World expensive place said:

Somehow sporean are very rich, whatever price charged there will be taker......CNY means there will be a 12 million toto ang pao waiting for us although that are more likley to make SG pools even richer. 

Guest Winner-to-be
On 1/30/2022 at 1:24 PM, lonelyglobe said:

Somehow sporean are very rich, whatever price charged there will be taker......CNY means there will be a 12 million toto ang pao waiting for us although that are more likley to make SG pools even richer. 

Every time when I see TOTO price went up so high.  I wished that the price will eventually be shared among few winners, not just one person. 

• G_M changed the title to CNY Discussion - what Lunar new year meant to you? (compiled)
  • 11 months later...
On 1/7/2023 at 10:48 AM, Since u r here said:

not at all meaningful 

but i will take a gd laugh at those Li Chun superstition n the horoscope stuff, 

Frankly, the tradition only starts less than 2 decade. Some Malaysians says fried arrow head chips is a must as it is traditions. My old folks rebuke it saying people in the past never had those,

Guest Anti celebration

CNY means nothing to me. 

Its just a period of being overcharged by haircut, bus travel ticket, long queue in custom, closed shops everywhere. Sick on cny can't find or see doctor. 

Overcharged by 24 hours clinic. 

CNY period is a time where I try not to fall sick due to weather. Drink lots of water and avoid all the cny heaty snacks. 

Its also a period where you and your relatives pretend to like each other and visit once a year. 

Its mockery if you don't even meet casually on weekend but cny is so damn important. 

Its just a relic tradition held by the older grandparents. Once they gone, probably won't celebrate CNY. 

4 hours ago, Since u r here said:

yup i agree

the arrowhead "chi gu" only started very recently as a hot tidbits just like suddenly everyone started eating salted egg tidbits and then fried fish skin to fried salted egg skin etc then salmon skin.........

Yes. But some Malaysian friend kept saying it is has a long tradition. Personally I liked the traditional bee hive fritters which is the darker crispy version that the old folks used to make. The recent Malaysian modified recipe is nice in its own way.

8 hours ago, Guest Anti celebration said:

CNY means nothing to me. 

Its just a period of being overcharged by haircut, bus travel ticket, long queue in custom, closed shops everywhere. Sick on cny can't find or see doctor. 

Overcharged by 24 hours clinic. 

CNY period is a time where I try not to fall sick due to weather. Drink lots of water and avoid all the cny heaty snacks. 

Its also a period where you and your relatives pretend to like each other and visit once a year. 

Its mockery if you don't even meet casually on weekend but cny is so damn important. 

Its just a relic tradition held by the older grandparents. Once they gone, probably won't celebrate CNY. 

So true, everywhere is crowded esp shops before CNY, and during CNY food stall price went up. Even though now most shops stay open during the CNY.

It is really quite sian having to go visit relatives, like you said, we do not meet up on normal days, never contact each other, but need to go visit them during CNY. I rather stay home and rot.

16 hours ago, Since u r here said:

for those who treated cny about food and bakkwa

https://www.facebook.com/zaobaosg/videos/889008269109430

Expected!!! If i m not wrong, Breadtalk will add surcharge too

Nothing much actually.

But I won't sweep the floor, cut my hair, wash my hair, shower, do laundry and try to avoid any other auspicious things.

While I visited a Chinese Malaysian home in Malaysia during Chinese New year, I got most of attention as there was someone new.

Felt like a superstar giving interviews to the media.

But the best incidents were when to this home some unknown persons turned up (open house) and waited to be served with food. I asked the host, "who is that guy?". The host replied: "I have no idea". My reply: "Then why do you entertain him?". Host: "We give him some CNY cookies, then he will leave."

The host later said to me when the guy that nobody talked to and just sat around the living room had left: "There are many poor people here!".

We won't put up a scene during Chinese new Year.

But I found that so funny that certain people just visit some houses of people they don't know at all.

Maybe the host should have served him porridge?

On 1/12/2023 at 11:11 PM, Since u r here said:

wow! as an asian chinese, i dont even follow those superstitions 

As an American Ang Moh  I don't follow those superstitions either.   And I am not a lunatic.

But I used to follow the moon when Towel Club and Absolute had some events timed with the full moon.

Guest Porridge
On 1/13/2023 at 12:51 PM, singalion said:

Nothing much actually.

But I won't sweep the floor, cut my hair, wash my hair, shower, do laundry and try to avoid any other auspicious things.

While I visited a Chinese Malaysian home in Malaysia during Chinese New year, I got most of attention as there was someone new.

Felt like a superstar giving interviews to the media.

But the best incidents were when to this home some unknown persons turned up (open house) and waited to be served with food. I asked the host, "who is that guy?". The host replied: "I have no idea". My reply: "Then why do you entertain him?". Host: "We give him some CNY cookies, then he will leave."

The host later said to me when the guy that nobody talked to and just sat around the living room had left: "There are many poor people here!".

We won't put up a scene during Chinese new Year.

But I found that so funny that certain people just visit some houses of people they don't know at all.

Maybe the host should have served him Okokporridge?

Is it because only poor eat porridge that's why its a taboo to eat porridge on the first LNY? Or else the rest of the year will be poor?

I forgot and washed my hair just now after work. Its because the nature of my work, I think its still better to wash my hair or else I'll bring germs back home. Went to Tua Pek Kong just now. So many people and so many smokes. Just now reached home and shower but did not wash my hair. Hopefully my hair got stick back some ongs from the temple. But with the current covid situation, not washing my hair will I have a higher chance of getting covid?

Maybe I should wear shower cap when visiting the temple or going outside so that my hair will be protected from covid.

11 hours ago, Guest Porridge said:

Hopefully my hair got stick back some ongs from the temple. But with the current covid situation, not washing my hair will I have a higher chance of getting covid?

Maybe I should wear shower cap when visiting the temple or going outside so that my hair will be protected from covid.

How interesting!   This is the first time I hear of some concern about the hair carrying the Covid virus.  Usually, it is the hands that can be the main carrier, and the recommendation is to wash our hands when getting home.

But...  could it be that the Covid virus finds some affinity for Singaporean hair?   Anything is possible...

Guest Warning!
3 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

How interesting!   This is the first time I hear of some concern about the hair carrying the Covid virus.  Usually, it is the hands that can be the main carrier, and the recommendation is to wash our hands when getting home.

But...  could it be that the Covid virus finds some affinity for Singaporean hair?   Anything is possible...

Only Asian pubic hair, so stay away from our Asian pubic area and other private part. 

50 minutes ago, Guest Warning! said:

Only Asian pubic hair, so stay away from our Asian pubic area and other private part. 

So you don't want to go to the temple out of fear that your pubic hair could catch some Covid?   What kind of "temple" is this?  

On 1/23/2023 at 10:47 AM, Steve5380 said:

So you don't want to go to the temple out of fear that your pubic hair could catch some Covid?   What kind of "temple" is this?  

Temple Run

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.