Male HQ

Ukraine invasion by Russia Discussion and it's impact on Singapore and Asia? (compiled)

singalion

10 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

You are having a misconception,  and not for the first time. :lol:

@singalion is not eager to learn from you, ha ha.  What he is asking you is to explain, to substantiate your bizarre anti-American statements. 

Debate with denalists like you two is no longer necessary because you both suffered from severe Stockholm Syndrome to the point where your beliefs about America's innocence were set in stone and could not be changed by any additional evidence or justification.

30 minutes ago, Mojohomme said:

i believe trump did the right thing to awaken the world on china threat. he is a businessman, so he does thing the business way.

Trump has made a lot of good decisions. He doesn't think NATO is worth his time, he doesn't care about Taiwan's political scene, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, he saved a lot of money by not supporting unnecessary international organizations or increasing military presence abroad.   Although he might not have handled the COVIT pandemic well (and whose countries don't? ), he is the greatest American president when it comes to handling America's own internal issues, and he doesn't need to read from scripts when making an impactful speech.

26 minutes ago, Why? said:

Debate with denalists like you two is no longer necessary because you both suffered from severe Stockholm Syndrome to the point where your beliefs about America's innocence were set in stone and could not be changed by any additional evidence or justification.

America's innocence ???   I don't believe in anyone's innocence,  not even in yours.

4 hours ago, Why? said:

Bizarre that you always throw in this "Stockholm Syndrome".

The US never took me hostage or kidnapped me, how can I suffer from such a syndrome?

If you had read earlier parts of this thread, you had seen that I am critical on certain points with the US.

It seems that you are actually happy that the world and Ukraine is suffering this war and that you are a supporter of unlawful invasions by an aggressor against other countries.

You seem also to carry issues on accepting the independence of certain nations.

You might have some grudge that the US is behaving like a super power and has in the past 30 years been more on the upper hand after the collapse of Russia, but do you really prefer to live in a country like China or Russia, where individuals are severely oppressed by their governments, the value of every individual comes to zero?

Edited by singalion

4 hours ago, Why? said:

severe Stockholm Syndrome

and talking about Stockholm Syndrome:

Can you respond why all countries that belonged to the previous Russian sphere of influence wanted to join the NATO as soon as possible, once they gained independence from Russia?

Are you aware that the pro Americanism in countries such as Poland, Slovakia, Estonia etc is much higher than in Western European countries like Germany or England?

Most Eastern European countries are 5 to 20% above the ratings from other Western European nations.

U.S. Favorability Rating  2023

Poland

About 73% of respondents gave the United States a favorable response. This favorability rating is the highest in Europe.

Hungary

Hungary has a favorability rating of 63%.

Italy

Italy's favorability rating for the United States is 61%.

Germany 59%

10 hours ago, Why? said:

Trump has made a lot of good decisions. He doesn't think NATO is worth his time, he doesn't care about Taiwan's political scene, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, he saved a lot of money by not supporting unnecessary international organizations or increasing military presence abroad.   Although he might not have handled the COVIT pandemic well (and whose countries don't? ), he is the greatest American president when it comes to handling America's own internal issues, and he doesn't need to read from scripts when making an impactful speech.

welcome back after you said "bye". the air outside must be so bad that you decided to return.

trump is good at making china loses their ground, they cannot predict whats in trump deck of cards.

2 hours ago, D.0284 said:

welcome back after you said "bye". the air outside must be so bad that you decided to return.

trump is good at making china loses their ground, they cannot predict whats in trump deck of cards.

No. I chose to assist BW in spraying some fragrance because the air in this area is so awful and I wanted to stop it from spreading to other rooms. If the situation worsens, I'll stay away from here, but I felt bad not being able to stop others from constantly spreading lies here.

I don't like America presidents, but at least Trump did the right thing by telling Americans to mind their own business and stop making America look like a fool on world stage as what Joe Biden already did.   The next election, Trump will bring out the Ukraine war card by telling everyone that he will stop the war if being elected. This popular slogan will strike a fear in Joe Biden administration. 

Edited by Why?

2 minutes ago, Why? said:

No. I chose to assist BW in spraying some fragrance because the air in this area is so awful and I wanted to stop it from spreading to other rooms. If the situation worsens, I'll stay away from here, but I felt bad not being able to stop others from constanting spreading lies here.

I don't like America presidents, but at least Trump did the right thing by telling Americans to mind their own business and stop making America look like a fool on world stage as what Joe Biden already did.   The next election, Trump will bring out the Ukraine war card by telling everyone that he will stop the war if being elected. This popular slogan will strike a fear in Joe Biden administration. 

no point doing it here. because you wont be changing anything. how about you go to the US embassy and voice out to them. maybe it could end the war.

6 minutes ago, D.0284 said:

how about you go to the US embassy and voice out to them. maybe it could end the war.

I'll hold off until Trump is elected because I know he will sort out the mess in Ukraine. Ukraine would have to wait patiently for America's next PE, assuming it still existed by that time.

1 hour ago, Why? said:

I'll hold off until Trump is elected because I know he will sort out the mess in Ukraine. Ukraine would have to wait patiently for America's next PE, assuming it still existed by that time.

i think biden has already done a lot for trump when he returns. all he needs is to harvest from china and russia. he is a business man

Russia-Ukraine war at a glance: what we know on day 401 of the invasion

Fri 31 Mar 2023

• Vladimir Putin has signed a decree to call up 147,000 Russian citizens for statutory military service as part of the country’s spring conscription campaign, Russian state media reported. The Russian leader last signed a routine conscription campaign in September, calling up 120,000 citizens for statutory service, the state-run Tass news agency said.

• Russian authorities are preparing to launch a significant recruitment campaign aimed at signing up 400,000 new troops to fight in Ukraine,

That means the food supplies into the UK now come from Russia?

Or what is the link  of the Ukraine war to food shortages in the UK?

Are there sanctions on food ?

Is Russia a major supplier of tomatoes and cucumbers to the UK?

Do a brain check please!

British shoppers have faced a shortage of tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in recent weeks after disrupted harvests in north Africa reduced supply, while inflation forced industry buyers to spend more on less from key markets such as Spain.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/more-food-shortages-could-add-britains-price-pressure-2023-03-28/

sanctions are working...

Putin admits sanctions could hurt Russia’s economy

March 30, 2023

President Vladimir Putin has conceded that Western sanctions designed to starve the Kremlin of funds for its invasion of Ukraine could deal a blow to Russia’s economy.

“The illegitimate restrictions imposed on the Russian economy may indeed have a negative impact on it in the medium term,” Putin said in televised remarks Wednesday reported by state news agency TASS.

It is a rare admission by the Russian leader, who has repeatedly insisted that Russia’s economy remains resilient and that sanctions have hurt Western countries by driving up inflation and energy prices.

The Russian government’s revenue plunged 35% in January compared with a year ago, while expenditures jumped 59%, leading to a budget deficit of about 1,761 billion rubles ($23.3 billion).

The World Bank and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development are forecasting contractions of 3.3% and 5.6%, respectively, in 2023. The International Monetary Fund expects Russia’s growth to remain flat this year, but for the economy to shrink by at least 7% in the medium term.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:30 AM, Why? said:

You may not like America presidents, but surely you are much less likeable than them.  No doubt, judging from your malevolent blabber here that surely not even you believe in.

It is very probable that Trump may not bring out the Ukraine war card, because he will be too busy trying to save his own skin.  And if he wants to run for president while in prison,  two previous cases show that if doing so, to be nominated by his party is something hard to imagine for a guy in prison, and if so the chances of winning the presidency are practically zero.  He lost to Biden in 2020 by millions of votes.  And at that time, he was not yet an indicted criminal and most probably convicted and in prison. 

Yes, there a bunch of idiotic Americans who Trump has brain washed,  but Americans are increasingly realizing that he is completely incompetent and wrong for the presidency.   What rational person would now side with Russia, like he does? 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8pQhGES/

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8pQqe1g/

The ending stages of a superpower. The ageing and senile President symbolises it. 

Tiktok should be rightfully banned. It exposes reality they want to keep hidden from me and you.

LOL! LOL!   So much nonsense!!   You must be one of the two women in the first TikTok,  a transgender gay... :lol:

The second TikTok is... a video by FOX News.  OF COURSE they bash America and our dollar!   They must show HOW BAD everything is under the Democrat administration!  Cowards, traitors these FOXES.  They should be banned for posting pure lies.  

It looks more like the ending stages of Russia.  Biden is not senile at all.   Compare him to Donald Trump,  of whom we will have soon a mug photo.  He already looked bad, but since his indictment he has the aspect of a train wreck,  maybe like he one in New Palestine, Ohio?   He is somewhat younger than Biden,  but he can fall apart at any moment,  making a lot of noise with his body mass.  

Your TikTok "reality"  is what you deserve, ha!  

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

https://gaetz.house.gov/media/press-releases/general-mark-milley-commits-end-drag-queen-story-hour-military-bases-during

US face real nuclear threats from Russia, China and Iran simultaneously. Why have drag queen story hours in their military?

All these nations face REAL NUCLEAR THREATS FROM AMERICA if they misbehave!   Thousands of beautiful nuclear warheads, many floating underground in 18 nuclear submarines all over the world.

Guest Guest

No wonder the US has a  sense of entitlement which is envied by others. However illusionist it may be.

We are witnessing yet another demise of a colonial empire....how history repeats itself.

Why do people post here clips that have already been identified as manipulations by other media groups and journalists???

Can't these people do background checks first?

Who is the owner of Sky News?

On 8 June 1988, Rupert Murdoch announced in a speech plans to start a new television news service. Sky News started broadcasting at 6 pm on 5 February 1989.

Sky News Australia has faced scrutiny from the press over its increased focus on opinion programming. Comparisons were drawn to Rupert Murdoch's American news channel Fox News, and there have been accusations that the channel's opinion programming has promoted misinformation and conspiracy theories, and provided a platform for far-right figures.

This is all not related to the Ukraine topic.

Can you get back to the Ukraine topic here!

Edited by singalion

Russia-Ukraine war live: Russian general ‘pushing limits of how far Putin will tolerate failure’

Chief of the general staff of Russian armed forces Valery Gerasimov.

Chief of the general staff of Russian armed forces Valery Gerasimov.

Valery Gerasimov's tenure characterised by failure, UK MoD says

The latest intelligence update from the UK’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) catalogues the performance of the Russian chief of the general staff, Gen Valery Gerasimov, who the MoD says is “pushing the limits of how far Russia’s political leadership will tolerate failure”.

Here is the update:

On 11 January 2023, Russian chief of the general staff (CGS) General Valery Gerasimov took personal command of the ‘special military operation’ in Ukraine.

Gerasimov’s tenure has been characterised by an effort to launch a general winter offensive with the aim of extending Russian control over the whole of the Donbas region. Eighty days on, it is increasingly apparent that this project has failed.

On several axes across the Donbas front, Russian forces have made only marginal gains at the cost of tens of thousands of casualties, largely squandering its temporary advantage in personnel gained from the autumn’s ‘partial mobilisation’.

After ten years as CGS, there is a realistic possibility that Gerasimov is pushing the limits of how far Russia’s political leadership will tolerate failure.

Guest Guest

Other media groups are manipulators. CNN and the likes are holders of the truth. Right.

Fully agree that the ice-cream joke is a Pro-Russian deep fake to discredit Biden's hard work to look after his people.

I am glad to see that Biden is also still preserving his "little child within".   All great people do.

And I am glad that he also likes ice cream.  He likes the chocolate-chip,  while I like the dark-chocolate.  We are all different.

But I especially like that he is the American President while this Russian invasion war against Ukraine is going on.  We have to stand against invasion bullying, against evil.   He and NATO, which just gained another member, will prevail.  Ukraine most probably will recover all its territory, and join NATO as well.  While Russia will remain strongly diminished.

Guest Guest2
11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

No wonder the US has a  sense of entitlement which is envied by others. However illusionist it may be.

We are witnessing yet another demise of a colonial empire....how history repeats itself.

Yes and especially so when it is led by the current president who is frankly one of the worst. It seems like China, Russia, Iran and North Korea are against US. This is likely because they sense strong weakness under Biden. 

Guest Guest
13 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I am glad to see that Biden is also still preserving his "little child within".   All great people do.

And I am glad that he also likes ice cream.  He likes the chocolate-chip,  while I like the dark-chocolate.  We are all different.

But I especially like that he is the American President while this Russian invasion war against Ukraine is going on.  We have to stand against invasion bullying, against evil.   He and NATO, which just gained another member, will prevail.  Ukraine most probably will recover all its territory, and join NATO as well.  While Russia will remain strongly diminished.

Didn't the American's say they would prevail in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and the myriad of countries it has sought to overthrow such as Libya, Venezuela, Yemen etc etc , the facts and truth hurt.

I for one feel the days of USA are numbered through want of greed and corruption.

Russia-Ukraine war at a glance: what we know on day 404 of the invasion

Russian military blogger killed in cafe explosion

Prominent pro-war Russian military blogger Vladlen Tatarsky has been killed in a blast at a cafe in central St Petersburg, Russia’s interior ministry has said. Russian media said a bomb was hidden in a statue presented to Tatarsky in a box as a gift. Another 30 people were injured

Russia has suffered up to 200,000 casualties in the war in Ukraine but a “significant number” of these are due to “non-combat causes”, the UK’s Ministry of Defence has said in its latest intelligence update. “Other leading causes of non-combat casualties likely include poor weapon handing drills, road traffic accidents and climatic injuries such as hypothermia,” it said.

Guest Guest

Riddle time for the little kids:

I am the largest country by far in this world.

I am extremely abundant in oil, natural resources n food produce.

In this conflict, my territory size grew even more.

NATO desperately tried to stop me.

So I said: We will NOT be stopped.

Till now, I have firmly kept my word.

Who am I? 😊

32 minutes ago, Why? said:

Simply put, America is pimping Ukraine to Russia for its pleasure.   The situation in Ukraine is too painful to watch.  RIP.

Your idea of pimping prostitutes for clients is...   is...  is... too TRAGIC.  Cheer up!  Isn't prostitution the oldest profession?

And what has all this to do with Ukraine?  War is always extremely ugly. 

29 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Your idea of pimping prostitutes for clients is...   is...  is... too TRAGIC.  Cheer up! Isn't prostitution the oldest profession?

America's propensity of waging war on other nations is also one.

Russia has made it possible.

NATO has a new 1340km stretch of direct border to Russia!

The nuclear facilities at the Russian Kola peninsula are now in direct reach of NATO.

And what does this highlight to us again?

Why do such states that have been neutral for more than 80 years join NATO?

Are these countries scared of the US or what country? (another riddle).

Finland becomes 31st member of Nato in Brussels ceremony

Formal accession nearly doubles Nato border with Russia as Moscow warns it will boost its defences if necessary

Tue 4 Apr 2023

Finland has become the 31st member of Nato after its foreign minister, Pekka Haavisto, signed an accession document and handed it to the US secretary of state, Antony Blinken, at a ceremony in Brussels.

The handover marks the formal accession of Russia’s western neighbour to the world’s largest military alliance, completing an accelerated application process launched last May, when Finland and neighbouring Sweden abandoned decades of military nonalignment to seek security as Nato members after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“President Putin had as a declared goal of the invasion of Ukraine to get less Nato,” the alliance’s secretary general, the former Norwegian prime minister Jens Stoltenberg, said shortly before the ceremony. “He is getting exactly the opposite.”

Stoltenberg added: “Finland today, and soon also Sweden will become a full-fledged member of the alliance.” Finland’s membership “removes the room for miscalculation in Moscow about Nato’s readiness to protect Finland”, he said.

The blue-and-white flag of Finland will shortly be raised alongside those of its partners outside Nato headquarters.

Nato’s border with Russia will roughly double with the accession of Finland, which shares a 1,340km (832 mile) border with its eastern neighbour.

Finland’s accession falls on the 74th anniversary of the signing of Nato’s founding Washington Treaty on 4 April 1949

Joining Nato means Finland falls under the alliance’s article 5, a collective defence pledge that stipulates that an attack on one Nato member “shall be considered an attack against them all”.

Finland (as it had to rely on its own military capacities) has 30,000 active soldiers and can mobilise up to 280,000, the number of reservists is 900,000.

https://interactive.guim.co.uk/uploader/embed/2023/04/natofinland-zip/giv-13425FL95ujSyeP2M/Nato_Members_map_FINLAND-inArticle_620.png

All coloured countries (exclusive of Sweden, yellow colour) on the map are NATO members inclusive of the US and Canada.

Edited by singalion

10 hours ago, singalion said:

Finland becomes 31st member of Nato in Brussels ceremony

It is a bad idea.  Finland will become sick and abide by NATO constant haggling in the years ahead.   In contrast to the past, there won't be any peace for the Fins. Finland will be under pressure to prod Russia because Washington won't allow Finland sit quietly next to Russia. Finland has opted to join a group that promotes conflict rather than peace. dumb people running a stupid nation. What else can I say?

2 hours ago, Why? said:

It is a bad idea.  Finland will become sick and abide by NATO constant haggling in the years ahead.   In contrast to the past, there won't be any peace for the Fins. Finland will be under pressure to prod Russia because Washington won't allow Finland sit quietly next to Russia. Finland has opted to join a group that promotes conflict rather than peace. dumb people running a stupid nation. What else can I say?

What else?  Better say nothing.  It's pure nonsense.  

Both Finland and Sweden are nations with an intelligent population and therefore smart government.  Both nations have been EAGER to join NATO,  and even if you don't know them,  they must have good reasons to do so.  Finland finally got approval by dissenting Turkey, but Sweden is still waiting for Turkey to resolve its issue against it.

7 hours ago, Why? said:

Just wonder where your justification is that NATO stands for war or to promote conflict.

NATO is a defence cooperation.

Just tell me one incident where NATO started a war?

7 hours ago, Why? said:

It is a bad idea.  Finland will become sick and abide by NATO constant haggling in the years ahead.   In contrast to the past, there won't be any peace for the Fins. Finland will be under pressure to prod Russia because Washington won't allow Finland sit quietly next to Russia.

Oh? what other nation is there to trouble Russia by Finland? Belarus?

But Finland doesn't have any border to Belarus...

Why can't Russia just leave it's soldiers within Russia as NATO members do?

11 hours ago, Why? said:

Your comment is  a reflection that you do not know the history between Finland and Russia.

The first map you see Finland  in the borders of 1917

File:Finland 1920.png - Wikimedia Commons

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-o9Ctn_hcYw4/Uw7QebRhHQI/AAAAAAAAETc/HSVUOYTkTeA/s1600/Finnish+Civil+War+Map.GIF

Here you see Finland after 1940:

The purple coloured parts A, B, C, D and E Finland was forced to cede to Russia.

Most relevant were the traditional Finnish parts B and D (Karelia with access to lake Ladoga)

Finland in WW2

The following files have a good overview: (Unfortunately they can't be inserted into BW)

http://www.conflicts.rem33.com/images/Finland/suomenkronik2.htm

http://www.conflicts.rem33.com/images/Finland/suomenkronik2_files/image005.gif

http://www.conflicts.rem33.com/images/Finland/suomenkronik2_files/image010.gif

Finland did not side any military organisation or country or even military pact after the Second World war. Because Finland was always hopeful to reach a final treaty with USSR/ Russia on the former Finnish parts of Karelia and Salla and other parts lost after 1940. Finland lost its access to the arctic sea in the north after the war.

There are still Finnish people in the Russian parts of the East Karelia , approximate 150,000. As usual what the USSR did when they seized parts of other countries, was that they settled Ukrainian people after the second world war into the former Finnish parts.

Since 1945 however, around half a million Finnish people left Russia and settled in Finland.

The last years there was a boom of Finnish tourists (former Karelian people) who traveled to the old Finnish area, now belonging to Russia.

Finland kept a neutral position between the two military pacts (NATO and the Warsaw pact.

Plenty of meetings between the USA and the Soviet union took place in Helsinki, Finland. 

If you had some knowledge then you had known that Russia/ USSR used the same tactic on Finland as it used on Ukraine. It follows a similar pattern:

In 1939 Russia demanded Finland to cede certain parts of Finland to Russia in the east Karelia parts nearing to Leningrad. Russia told Finland that it required the parts as a security belt for the Baltic region to protect Leningrad (now Saint Petersburg.

Does this ring the bell to you?

Surely Finland, being an independent country since 1917 objected, but Russia then invaded Finland in November 1939. It was Russia that started a war. (Finland and Russia even had a non-aggression-treaty that Russia simply ignored).

Same as for Ukraine, the Soviet Union had accepted the independence by Finland. However, Lenin instigated a bolshevik revolution in Finland, which caused a severe civil war within Finland.

Does this ring another bell?

What do we learn from history?

Russia has always been an aggressive nation towards its neighbours, never accepted the independence of other neighbouring countries, invented some bizarre reasons to attack other countries and made outrageous demands against its neighbours.

Who would trust such country?

Finland will thrive with more peace guarantee in the future being placed under the security umbrella of NATO.

Edited by singalion

Russian defector sheds light on Putin paranoia and his secret train network

Former security officer tells of president’s strict quarantine and says he has ‘lost touch with the world’

Wed 5 Apr 2023

A senior Russian security officer who defected last year has given rare insight into the paranoid lifestyle of Vladimir Putin, confirming details of a secret train network, identical offices in different cities, a strict personal quarantine and escalating security protocols.

Gleb Karakulov, who served as a captain in the Federal Protection Service (FSO), a powerful body tasked with protecting Russia’s highest-ranking officials, said the measures were designed to mask the whereabouts of the Russian president, whom he described as “pathologically afraid for his life”.

The 36-year-old said the train was used because it “cannot be tracked on any information resource. It’s done for stealth purposes.”

Gleb Karakulov’s FSO ID card

The Russian investigative outlet Proekt reported previously on the existence of the train and of a secret railway network including parallel lines and stations near Putin’s residences in the Valdai national park in Novo-Ogaryovo, and near his Bocharov Ruchei residence in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.

The Guardian has reviewed an interview with Karakulov by the Dossier Centre, a political information outfit founded by the exiled Russian billionaire Mikhail Khodorkovsky, and confirmed the credentials of the senior Russian communications engineer, who travelled with Putin extensively and helped transmit some of his most secret messages.

Karakulov was a member of the “field team” of the Presidential Communications Directorate that encrypts the messages of top Russian officials and estimated he had travelled on more than 180 trips with top officials. He appears to be the highest-ranking intelligence official to defect since the start of Russia’s war in Ukraine.

In the interview, Karakulov called Putin a “war criminal” and told fellow officers they should come forward with information being hidden from the Russian public.

“Our president has lost touch with the world,” he said. “He has been living in an information cocoon for the past couple of years, spending most of his time in his residences, which the media very fittingly call bunkers. He is pathologically afraid for his life. He surrounds himself with an impenetrable barrier of quarantines and an information vacuum. He only values his own life and the lives of his family and friends.”

Karakulov described a virtual state within a state that includes firefighters, food testers and other engineers who travel with Putin on his trips abroad, providing a rare first-hand insight into the levels of paranoia and sheltered lifestyle of the Russian president. “They call him the Boss, worship him in every way and only ever talk of him in those terms,” he said.

Karakulov also described setting up secret communications for Putin on planes, helicopters, lavish yachts and even in a bomb shelter at the Russian embassy in Kazakhstan during an October 2022 visit when Karakulov ultimately fled to Turkey and from there to an undisclosed country in the west.

He confirmed that Putin relies heavily for information on reports provided by his security services. Putin did not use a mobile phone or the internet, Karakulov said, and did not even bring an internet specialist with him on foreign trips. “He only receives information from his closest circle, which means that he lives in an information vacuum,” he said.

Putin is still in quarantine and requires all staff working in the same room as him to also undergo a two-week quarantine, severely limiting the number of people who have personal contact with him.

Karakulov said Putin used identical offices in St Petersburg, Sochi and Novo-Ogaryovo, and that the secret services used fake motorcades and decoy planes to pretend he was leaving. “This is a ruse to confuse foreign intelligence, in the first place, and secondly, to prevent any attempts on his life,” he said.

He said Putin’s behaviour and lifestyle had altered significantly since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic in 2020, when the president retreated from most travel and public appearances.

“He has shut himself off from the world,” Karakulov said. “His take on reality has become distorted.”

The interview did not give information on what messages Karakulov had encrypted for Putin or other top officials, or more information on Putin’s preparations for the war or strategy.

Karakulov described his risky escape to the west during Putin’s visit to Kazakhstan. During the trip, his wife and daughter secretly flew to Astana. They postponed the defection several times until nearly the end of the trip, when Karakulov told his fellow officers he was feeling unwell and then fled with his family to the airport. The Dossier Centre said Karakulov’s current whereabouts were unknown. The Guardian confirmed that Karakulov was listed as a wanted man in the Russian interior ministry’s public database of criminal suspects.

He claimed he had opposed the war on Ukraine since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022, but had waited to persuade his wife to flee together as a family. He said he had still not spoken with his parents, who were supporters of the war.

While the strict quarantine regime has fuelled rumours that Putin may be seriously ill and worried about complications from coronavirus, Karakulov said he had seen no indications that Putin was in poor health.

This behaviour reminds me of a certain German dictator and the fake motorcades of Romanian Dictator Ceausescu or East German Honecker...

Edited by singalion

How much money has the US given to Ukraine?

US President Joe Biden announced nearly half a billion more dollars of US military aid to Ukraine during a surprise visit to Kyiv this week. 

That's on top of billions the US has already spent on Ukraine's conflict with Russia. Congress appropriated more than $112bn (£92.47bn) in 2022 alone.

The US is the largest contributor to Ukraine in terms of money spent.

But a year into Russia's invasion, some Americans are wondering where the money goes and if the aid is worth the cost.

Before Mr Biden's pledge in Ukraine this week, the US had committed nearly $80bn in aid to Ukraine. That's according to the Kiel Institute for the World Economy, which tracks global spending on aid to Ukraine.

Some $46.6bn of the US commitment is military aid, far more money than any other country is donating. The UK comes second with $5.1bn in military aid, followed by the EU with $3.3bn. 

That's just military aid, however. Other kinds of aid add to the cost.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64656301.amp

14 hours ago, singalion said:

Your comment is  a reflection that you do not know the history between Finland and Russia.

The first map you see Finland  in the borders of 1917

Russia and the USSR are not the same. Up until NATO violated the Warsaw Pact, began expanding into Russia's borders, and stoked fresh anxieties among the country's peaceful citizens, the new Russia was a friendly nation. America and her allies disregarded the advisories. The anti-Russian Zelenskky increased the pressure and sparked the backlash we saw today. Finland is not as anti-Russian as Ukraine. Russia won't respond aggressively unless Finland permits entry of NATO forces. I have faith that the Finns won't go any further in their foolishness than simply joining NATO.  

If you wanted to discuss history, Ukraine was a gift from Russia with the stipulation that it would not permit NATO to enter its territory. Sadly, violence was preferred by Ukrainians over peace.

7 hours ago, Why? said:

Russia and the USSR are not the same. Up until NATO violated the Warsaw Pact, began expanding into Russia's borders, and stoked fresh anxieties among the country's peaceful citizens, the new Russia was a friendly nation. America and her allies disregarded the advisories. The anti-Russian Zelenskky increased the pressure and sparked the backlash we saw today. Finland is not as anti-Russian as Ukraine. Russia won't respond aggressively unless Finland permits entry of NATO forces. I have faith that the Finns won't go any further in their foolishness than simply joining NATO.  

If you wanted to discuss history, Ukraine was a gift from Russia with the stipulation that it would not permit NATO to enter its territory. Sadly, violence was preferred by Ukrainians over peace.

Sorry to say but your post is totally unintelligent and also inaccurate:

NATO never violated the Warsaw Pact. It could never violate the Warsaw Pact as NATO was never a member of this pact.

NATO also never expanded "into" Russia's borders. NATO never infringed Russia's borders at all. 

NATO is a defence organisation and not an attack organisation.

Everybody is aware that the USSR was run by Russia's communist party and their leaders. Russia totally controlled the other parts Non- Russia parts of the USSR. How much liberties and self governance did the other parts of the USSR have?

Please get some knowledge before posting such dumb unknowledgeable statements.

Here you get some history and political science lessons:

On December 30, 1922, in post-revolutionary Russia, the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) is established, comprising a confederation of Russia, Belorussia, Ukraine and the Transcaucasian Federation (divided in 1936 into the Georgian, Azerbaijan and Armenian republics). Also known as the Soviet Union, the new communist state was the successor to the Russian Empire and the first country in the world to be based on Marxist socialism.

In the USSR, all levels of government were controlled by the Communist Party, and the party’s politburo, with its increasingly powerful general secretary, effectively ruled the country.

In the decades after it was established, the Russian-dominated Soviet Union grew into one of the world’s most powerful and influential states and eventually encompassed 15 republics—Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Belorussia, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

Edited by singalion

7 hours ago, Why? said:

and stoked fresh anxieties among the country's peaceful citizens, the new Russia was a friendly nation.

Since when has Russia been a friendly nation?

This is totally in disregard of Russia's infringing military actions into other regions:

Take Georgia, take Moldova, take Syria.

Russia being a friendly nation is a myth!

Russia became aggressive against Moldova and Georgia. Russia sided with separatists in the Abkhazian and South Ossetian regions of Georgia. On August 8, 2008, Russian forces began the invasion of Georgia. 

The Soviet Union attacked Finland, annexed the Baltic states, crushed democratic revolutions in Hungary and Czechoslovakia, and fought a long war in Afghanistan. Post-Soviet Russia invaded Georgia in 2008 and Ukraine beginning in 2014. It brutally suppressed Chechnya. It also has been a combatant in Syria, attacking hospitals and civilian infrastructure.

Here take a look how many wars Russia started since 1991:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Russia#Russian_Federation_(1991–present)

It sums up to 15 wars started by Russia since 1991

7 hours ago, Why? said:

The anti-Russian Zelenskky increased the pressure and sparked the backlash we saw today. Finland is not as anti-Russian as Ukraine. Russia won't respond aggressively unless Finland permits entry of NATO forces. I have faith that the Finns won't go any further in their foolishness than simply joining NATO.  

Independent countries are not permitted to elect their own leaders?

First: Russia acknowledged the independence of Ukraine in the 1994 Budapest Protocol (inclusive of Crimea).

What does this have to do with Russia, if the Ukrainian people elect their own leader? Russia has any rights for interference if any bordering independent country votes a leader that Russia does not like?

If Iran elects a leader Russia doesn't like then this is justification to invade the country?

On what terms are you here? Wild West law?

Edited by singalion