Male HQ

Any recommendation for a good tiramisu?

I am a lover of tiramisu. I love the bitter taste  of coffee powder combine with liquor & cheese. Unfortunately, most tiramisu I have have tasted are just sugarish & creamy. The best one I have had is from this restaurant at Holland Village called Sistina but it has closed down years back. 

This Sunday I will be visiting this place called Blue Smoke. They are supposed to serve good tiramisu. Hopefully it will not disappoint.

Anyone has any good recommendations? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 7:26 PM, Mike Sanuk said:

Can go try "The Tiramisu Hero" in Jln Besar

Thanks, tried it few years back. Tiramisu Hero is more towards sweetness. I prefer the dessert to have strong liquor & strong bitter (from coffee powder) combination. 

• 3 weeks later...

When I am in the mood, I do make my own tiramisu from a recipe my cousin shared with me nearly 30 years ago. I have made it on special occasions over the years. It is not very difficult, and by making your own, you can adjust the sweetness etc. to your taste and preference. Most of the items can be brought pre-made, i.e. ladys' fingers, coco powder etc. the only cooking really is the custard part. 

Love. 

On 5/13/2022 at 3:28 AM, doncoin said:

When I am in the mood, I do make my own tiramisu from a recipe my cousin shared with me nearly 30 years ago. I have made it on special occasions over the years. It is not very difficult, and by making your own, you can adjust the sweetness etc. to your taste and preference. Most of the items can be brought pre-made, i.e. ladys' fingers, coco powder etc. the only cooking really is the custard part. 

Wah, do you mind to share the recipe?

On 5/14/2022 at 3:23 AM, doncoin said:

Make a cup of expresso or basic super strong coffee. Pour in some rum and mix. I have also used Bailey's Irish Cream as a substitute. At this point, you can adjust how strong you want the coffee or liquor to be. Set aside. 

Then you need to get ladies' fingers which are these Italian sponge cake/cookies thing. 1 pack usually comes with about 10 or 12 depending on the brand. They usually costs less than $10. I usually get 2 bags. 

Pour the expresso mixture onto a plate or a bowl big enough for you to dunk the ladies finger in. Don't let it sit too long in the expresso as it can make the ladies finger soggy. Maybe like 5 seconds then take it out. Keep the remaining expresso. 

Lay them flat on a square or rectangular baking dish till it fills the base completely. I usually use the Corningware glass ones. You can break the lady's fingers to adjust to fit the shape of your dish. 

So this is the cream/pudding part of the tiramisu. You need mascarpone cheese which is this creamy cheese. If you cannot find mascarpone, I think regular cream cheese should work as well. Mascarpone comes in a tub. So 1 tub (about 8oz/1 cup) should be fine.

You need 4 egg yolks, a 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Mixed them well together in a bowl. So I am personally not a fan of eating raw eggs, so i normally do this extra optional step. 

In a large pot, bring water to boil. Put the bowl with the egg and sugar mixture in it. Keep stirring the bowl to prevent the egg mixture from over cooking- about 3 to 4 minutes. You want the egg yolk to be lightly cooked. The color should change to a lighter yellow and the egg yolk mixture should still be runny. Remove the mixture bowl from the hot water and place it in a bowl in a ice bath. Keep stirring to cool the egg mixture. 

Once cooled, add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of heavy cream and the mascarpone cheese to the egg mixture. 

Whip everything together until you get it nice. At this point, you should taste the mixture to see if it is sweet enough for you. If not, you can add more sugar at this stage and whipped the mixture till everything is blended. 

Spread the mixture evenly over the base layer of the ladies fingers. Then add another layer of ladies fingers, and then spread another layer. If you have any more expresso mixture left, you can pour them around the edges of the dish to let the ladies fingers soak up more.

Top off the surface with cocoa powder. Chill for an hour or longer in the fridge.

The measurements are approximations. It should be enough for about 5 slices. 

Wow, thanks for the recipe!!

I will try it later! :)

On 5/13/2022 at 8:19 PM, Zuko said:

Wow, thanks for the recipe!!

I will try it later! :)

Cool. Don't worry if you don't get it right the first time. It takes some trial and error. If you like, you can also add some vanilla essence to the mix to give your tiramisu a little more flavor. 

Have fun!

Love. 

On 3/26/2022 at 1:13 AM, robin said:

I am a lover of tiramisu. I love the bitter taste  of coffee powder combine with liquor & cheese. Unfortunately, most tiramisu I have have tasted are just sugarish & creamy. The best one I have had is from this restaurant at Holland Village called Sistina but it has closed down years back. 

This Sunday I will be visiting this place called Blue Smoke. They are supposed to serve good tiramisu. Hopefully it will not disappoint.

Anyone has any good recommendations? 

Maybe one made by u. Haha.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 12:07 AM, Void1376 said:

Two restaurants I've tried which I will recommend for their tiramisu - Bar Cicheti at Jiak Chuan and La Strada at Shaw Centre.

Thanks for the recommendation. i just tried Cicheti at Kandahar 2 days back, a bit too dry & lack of liquor taste for me. Will go & try La Strada one of these days. If really no choice, will try @doncoin’s recipe during my next career break  

On 6/20/2022 at 1:40 AM, robin said:

Thanks for the recommendation. i just tried Cicheti at Kandahar 2 days back, a bit too dry & lack of liquor taste for me. Will go & try La Strada one of these days. If really no choice, will try @doncoin’s recipe during my next career break  

Many tiramisu makers in Singapore add flavours and avoid using alcohol due to certain specific reasons... 

You must go to a "high end" Italian to get the real Tiramisu in Singapore, such as last time Il Lido at the Sentosa Golf Club, not sure the original cook or outlet is still around. 

There is one Italian at Purvis Street. It depends if the Italian chefs still oversee the dessert section. 

On 6/20/2022 at 1:40 AM, robin said:

instead of doing a career break, switch etc... maybe find a bf who loves cooking... nothing matches home made tiramisu... trust me. 

In Singapore most sold is nothing close to the original...

On 6/23/2022 at 9:07 PM, singalion said:

Many tiramisu makers in Singapore add flavours and avoid using alcohol due to certain specific reasons... 

You must go to a "high end" Italian to get the real Tiramisu in Singapore, such as last time Il Lido at the Sentosa Golf Club, not sure the original cook or outlet is still around. 

There is one Italian at Purvis Street. It depends if the Italian chefs still oversee the dessert section. 

Still trying to find the explosive combination taste of bitter coffee with liquor. Hoping to  visit La Strada tomorrow. 

Do share the name of the restaurant at Purvis if you do recall, thanks.

As to finding a bf who knows how to make good tiramisu; already can’t find a good tiramisu, how to find one who knows how to make a good one? Lol… 

When I was in Italy, surprisingly the tiramisu sold in many restaurants are just pure sugary taste … 

Edited by robin

On 6/24/2022 at 1:26 AM, robin said:

When I was in Italy, surprisingly the tiramisu sold in many restaurants are just pure sugary taste … 

It's not "artisanal" made but industrial. That is why I said, homemade is still the best. 

Do you think, with the daily demand in Italy for Tiramisu, people can keep up preparing it handmade?

Note that in some regions the Italians add Amaretto, which is sweeter in taste. 

Edited by singalion

• 1 month later...

Went lunch at Ritz Carlton. Surprise to find their tiramisu to be one of the best to my liking: good balance between coffee & alcohol, not too sweet & the sponge cake has the fresh soaking of coffee. 

Edited by robin

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.