Male HQ

Taiwan, one of the unresolved issues in East Asia...

singalion

On 8/10/2022 at 10:13 AM, sgmaven said:

Having visited Tibet, I can only say that much of the erasure of Tibetan identity is very much a deliberate move by the PRC government. The same can be said for Xinjiang and the Uighurs.

Meanwhile, I think it is easy not to think very much of how the overall "Han-centric" thinking affects the psyche of the ethnic minorities all over the country. Remember that the Han people are far more numerous than the ethnic minorities, and hence, easily "dilute" all the customs and beliefs that minorities have. The PRC government increases this by "allowing for the resettlement" of Han Chinese into predominantly non-Han areas.

I think many Singaporeans of Chinese descent may not feel as much about this subject, since Chinese are the overwhelming majority in Singapore. However, the government also erased a lot of local Chinese culture when they tried to scrub the use of dialects out of daily lives, such that media programming in dialects were not allowed. I think the government has realised the consequence of this, and has recently started to backpedal on this policy. And when I talk about minority cultures in Singapore, I don't even talk about the Malays and Tamil-speaking Indians, whose rights are better protected. Not sure if any of you know of Jews or Armenians, who don't really have a voice in our society? Even the Northern Indians (before the arrival of the NRIs due to immigration policies) used to have a tough time, since Hindi was not considered a language to be taught in schools.

Yes. If it is a deliberate policy of resettlement and dilution, then it is detrimental to minority cultures.

I'm aware too of local policy and the effects on the older Chinese educated and impact on minorities. While I understand some of the rationale of pushing through languages like Mandarin and Tamil, I think it has cost Singapore a lot, not least the cultural alienation between the older and younger generations.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, PlayersGroup said:

Yes. If it is a deliberate policy of resettlement and dilution, then it is detrimental to minority cultures.

I'm aware too of local policy and the effects on the older Chinese educated and impact on minorities. While I understand some of the rationale of pushing through languages like Mandarin and Tamil, I think it has cost Singapore a lot, not least the cultural alienation between the older and younger generations.

The cultural dilution in Lhasa was already apparent in 2006, when I visited Tibet, and that was before the operation of the Tibetan railway, that brought even more Han Chinese from Sichuan. Back then, with the exception of the area around Barkhor and the Potala Palace, most of Lhasa already resembled any small provincial Chinese city, with Sichuan restaurants opened everywhere.

I can just imagine how China could "influence" Taiwanese sentiment, if they just opened up migration of the people from Fujian into Taiwan, and whatever Taiwanese ideas of independence and democracy would be overwhelmed.

Слава Україні!

On 8/9/2022 at 11:00 AM, PlayersGroup said:

Thank you for sharing this part of history I'm unfamiliar with and I can see some parallels. Comparisons like these is good for thinking and pondering. Though, I would think we need to understand it is just a tool for thinking and not a completely similar situation to draw definite conclusions with.

China and Taiwan to me is an unfinished business, a temporary truce that lasted a while because continuing the fight with each other was not what the people on both sides and the wider Chinese diaspora really wanted at the time. I am not from that generation but I get this feeling from those who belong to the older generation. But now? I don't know. My layperson feeling is most Taiwanese do not identify with Mainland China whereas nationalist feelings are very strong on the Mainland and the desire for reunification and "safeguarding territorial integrity" is a key important issue drummed into them since young. But with better education and travel outside of China, some may be willing to see different views. Ultimately, I hope both sides want peace and prosperity more than some nationalist sentiment but that's only my hope, the people there will sort it out themselves, hopefully in a way good for the world but I'm really not sure if it will happen the way i hope for. 

With Xi finding himself as the leader of the PRC,  an revered strongman,  what can keep him from thinking that destiny has put him there because he is superior, able to create the Chinese superpower, a new Empire that will dominate all Asia and beyond for the next 1000 years or so.  Maybe the 21st century is the one that starts China's global dominance?   And even if his initial intentions are reasonable, what happens if something stands between him and his objective?   Like recent strongmen, he may have already embraced the principle that " the goal justifies the means " and give up on morality and restrain,  and China becomes another Nazi Germany or Fascist Italy.  Gas chambers may not be out of the question, although he could find more modern ways of exterminating multitudes that get in his ways. 

America has been the superpower of the 20th century, and is still the superpower.  BUT...  it has not fallen into the hands of a strongman who converted it into a Western Empire of the World.  Why not?   It might be the strict observance of term limits and the peaceful transfer of power.  No US President has been able to cling to power beyond his fair share dictated by the Constitution.  Only very recently Donald Trump has tried to break this mold.  And, fortunately,  we see that he didn't have a chance, and even if the vote confirming Biden had been delayed, Biden would have been nominated nonetheless and given his rightful mandate.  It is so reassuring seeing the work of the Jan 6 Committee.  It could be seen as a kind of Nuremberg trial of Trump and his co-conspirators,  but without having the need of a lost war. 

So it should be wise to be better informed before calling America all sort of names and assigning to it all the evils of the world.

Edited by Steve5380

On 8/9/2022 at 10:32 PM, PlayersGroup said:

"Cultural alienation between the older and younger generations"...

It might be that no human actions can eliminate this alienation.  It is intrinsic in the cycle of life.  As a person that is familiar with both ends,  I realize that "older vs. younger" is the main cause of alienation.  Unless we have much education and culture,  we older will always feel alienated in a world of the younger.  

As a younger 70 years ago, I remember the upheaval of the older at that time seeing what the younger had become.  The sexual revolution!  The Beatles, one of the worst evils of that modern civilization !!!   It was a time of change like never before,  although when we look back today we don't see much extraordinary happening then. 

And what is the value of cultural traditions?  Society has changed so much in just a couple of hundred years!   Yet we individuals are exactly the same.  Why not accept the new and put the older aside?  This is one of the good traits of successfully aging.  We don't need to forget the older, but accept change.  We can now preserve records and materials of the older society better that in any other time. 

On 8/10/2022 at 9:31 PM, Steve5380 said:

With Xi finding himself as the leader of the PRC,  an revered strongman,  what can keep him from thinking that destiny has put him there because he is superior, able to create the Chinese superpower, a new Empire that will dominate all Asia and beyond for the next 1000 years or so.  Maybe the 21st century is the one that starts China's global dominance?   And even if his initial intentions are reasonable, what happens if something stands between him and his objective?   Like recent strongmen, he may have already embraced the principle that " the goal justifies the means " and give up on morality and restrain,  and China becomes another Nazi Germany or Fascist Italy.  Gas chambers may not be out of the question, although he could find more modern ways of exterminating multitudes that get in his ways. 

America has been the superpower of the 20th century, and is still the superpower.  BUT...  it has not fallen into the hands of a strongman who converted it into a Western Empire of the World.  Why not?   It might be the strict observance of term limits and the peaceful transfer of power.  No US President has been able to cling to power beyond his fair share dictated by the Constitution.  Only very recently Donald Trump has tried to break this mold.  And, fortunately,  we see that he didn't have a chance, and even if the vote confirming Biden had been delayed, Biden would have been nominated nonetheless and given his rightful mandate.  It is so reassuring seeing the work of the Jan 6 Committee.  It could be seen as a kind of Nuremberg trial of Trump and his co-conspirators,  but without having the need of a lost war. 

So it should be wise to be better informed before calling America all sort of names and assigning to it all the evils of the world.

You have a very cute personality. I'm not sure who has been calling America names. I know I did not. I said I'm no fan of US or China, that each has its strengths and weaknesses. I just find both are not living up to the greatness they could be. There are a lot of things I do admire about America, as I do China, although, like I said, it doesn't make me a fan of both because both have shortcomings.

You are very well-read and seemed very adept at comparative history. Maybe you read a lot of Harry Potter too, which is why you seemed to have made Xi Jin Ping into some sort of international Voldermort and have a lot of theories about what could be going on in his mind. I don't profess to have mind-reading skills or a crystal ball to know him so well.

There is also a point where the present is no longer an intellectual academic conjecture based on past examples. To understand China may require an understanding of Chinese culture and history instead of drawing insights based on what happened in Italy.

It should also be wise to be humble, no matter how intelligent we may be, to say we don't know. This is a nice forum, and nice discussion no less. I quite like the quality of your mind and insights actually. Please continue to share ah. Cheers. 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:25 AM, PlayersGroup said:

You have a very cute personality.

-------

It should also be wise to be humble, no matter how intelligent we may be, to say we don't know. This is a nice forum, and nice discussion no less. I quite like the quality of your mind and insights actually. Please continue to share ah. Cheers. 

Thank you.  But I have never aimed for "cute".  Instead, my description is "handsome".

If you have read some of my posts, you may have found that I have a strong opinion that we are ALL incredibly IGNORANT,  including the most famous sages and religious figures, and this is an open ended declaration that I DON'T KNOW!!.   I enjoy humility, because it gives me peace.  I don't need to pretend, and the day I pass away nothing will be lost. 

Until then,  I like to enjoy the freedom of expressing my ideas.   For any bad feelings they may inspire,  I truly apologize.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:25 AM, PlayersGroup said:

You are very well-read and seemed very adept at comparative history. Maybe you read a lot of Harry Potter too, which is why you seemed to have made Xi Jin Ping into some sort of international Voldermort and have a lot of theories about what could be going on in his mind. I don't profess to have mind-reading skills or a crystal ball to know him so well.

Well, Xi is very similar in his tactics with a particular leader who invaded the Ukraine. Both have been pushing their "nationalistic" agenda to "reclaim" the past glories of their countries/empires. The truth is, there will be no peace in this world if each country had that objective of claiming all territories under them at their zenith. Can you imagine the UK marching into all the former colonies? Of course, they don't have the power and economic might to do it, but you can imagine if everyone started land-grabbing...

Слава Україні!

On 8/11/2022 at 2:51 AM, Steve5380 said:

Thank you.  But I have never aimed for "cute".  Instead, my description is "handsome".

If you have read some of my posts, you may have found that I have a strong opinion that we are ALL incredibly IGNORANT,  including the most famous sages and religious figures, and this is an open ended declaration that I DON'T KNOW!!.   I enjoy humility, because it gives me peace.  I don't need to pretend, and the day I pass away nothing will be lost. 

Until then,  I like to enjoy the freedom of expressing my ideas.   For any bad feelings they may inspire,  I truly apologize.

No worries, no bad feelings I find it intellectually stimulating. Your position and mine on human ignorance and humility, the importance of history, change between generations have a lot of common ground actually, even if we disagree on US n China. And I enjoy your use of words.

I am only less fond of self-righteous guest trolls making personal attacks, trigger emotions, pick quarrels but add very little substantive value to discussion.

I very seldom use handsome especially when I dunno how the person looks like, but I can sense a cute soul from how he speaks his mind, his written voice. 🙂

Edited by PlayersGroup

On 8/11/2022 at 3:03 AM, sgmaven said:

Well, Xi is very similar in his tactics with a particular leader who invaded the Ukraine. Both have been pushing their "nationalistic" agenda to "reclaim" the past glories of their countries/empires. The truth is, there will be no peace in this world if each country had that objective of claiming all territories under them at their zenith. Can you imagine the UK marching into all the former colonies? Of course, they don't have the power and economic might to do it, but you can imagine if everyone started land-grabbing...

Now Russia and China is much more similar, I agree is definitely using the same playbook when it comes to social media opinion manipulation, and they are clearly working together, and learning from each other.

Maybe the two personalities' "brotherhood" and rapport is found in their similar views of America and the west of trying to pushing their spheres of influence to their backyard, to constrain and contain their rise back to their past (future?) great nation status. I disagree with Russia's invasion of Ukraine, I also dislike China's positioning pressuring and bullying of smaller states over South China Sea. But you can't say their views of US and Nato doesn't have some truth in it. A common retort which resonates with reasonable people is that US will not do nothing if China and Russia makes the same maneuvers in America's own backyard.  It is also true when US flexes its muscle overseas, it may be because of narrow self interest than always the altruistic high democratic ideals that the justifications are usually couched in.

It is understandable big nation rivalry exists, it's the tactics we agree or disagree. I rather prefer less hacking and espionage, less misinformation, less sowing discord among the common folk just trying to pursue personal happiness and live in peace. I prefer they compete in business and economics with some rules in place than militarily over nationalistic boundaries. But that may be my wishful thinking.

Guest Mississippi Paddlefish

The American system used to be fair to any political parties. In recent times, it has been weaponised by a certain political party to demonise their political opponents and ironically they are the very party that try any means to cling on to power. With the witch-hunt that is going on against Republican Donald Trump in the last few years, one wonders if the system in China is actually more effective because they are united as 1 country instead of constantly politicking. 

The work of Jan6 is yet another display of the rot that is happening to the American system, where the Democrats who controls the different branches of power now are rushing through yet another charade because they know in November, they will lose control and will not get another chance to push their agenda. The Biden administration has so far proven itself to be vengeful by repeatedly going after ex-president Trump. No US President has been so vengeful like Biden who has exploited their control of different branches of government to persecute Trump. History will show that Biden administration will be remembered for being the worst and ineffective which has stirred up the China-Taiwan status quo.

On the other hand, with the Chinese system, they don’t publicly air their political differences in public. The people are largely united and they make significant progress in Maths and Science. 

On 8/11/2022 at 12:17 PM, Guest Mississippi Paddlefish said:

The American system used to be fair to any political parties. In recent times, it has been weaponised by a certain political party to demonise their political opponents and ironically they are the very party that try any means to cling on to power. With the witch-hunt that is going on against Republican Donald Trump in the last few years, one wonders if the system in China is actually more effective because they are united as 1 country instead of constantly politicking. 

The work of Jan6 is yet another display of the rot that is happening to the American system, where the Democrats who controls the different branches of power now are rushing through yet another charade because they know in November, they will lose control and will not get another chance to push their agenda. The Biden administration has so far proven itself to be vengeful by repeatedly going after ex-president Trump. No US President has been so vengeful like Biden who has exploited their control of different branches of government to persecute Trump. History will show that Biden administration will be remembered for being the worst and ineffective which has stirred up the China-Taiwan status quo.

On the other hand, with the Chinese system, they don’t publicly air their political differences in public. The people are largely united and they make significant progress in Maths and Science. 

Actually, I don't think the Americans actually want to weaponize against each other. 

So fair warning, below are my impressions and may be a bit of a stereotyping so take with a pinch of salt.

If you have interacted with Americans on a mundane level, as a people they are very generous, friendly and civic minded, whatever their party affiliation.

That being said, my impression is that many Americans are not very aware of what goes on in other parts of the world, not strong in general knowledge and therefore prone to be misled, except for the very educated. We all know there's a lot of manipulation and misinformation online, often led by state actors. I think America suffered these last few years especially because of this vulnerability.

The Chinese, on the other hand, feels to be cautious, guarded even when they are friendly. The concern seem to be they do not want to be bullied or cheated and need to stand up for themselves in an environmentthat can be harsh. Collectively, I'm not sure if it is due to their experiences dealing with western powers which have in their experience treated them unfairly unjustly.

I'm ethnically Chinese, though I identify as Singaporean. I differentiate my cultural linguistic heritage from my political affiliation. The Chinese system or rather the China system, with all its faults, have delivered some good. The American system, while I'm appreciative of its drive for democratic and human rights and very importantly, for contributing to progression in LGBT awareness and understanding, is not without serious problems of its own. As an outsider, I want both to prosper and don't tear each other down, because they are both quite imperfect, as it is with any other systems in other countries.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:17 PM, Guest Mississippi Paddlefish said:

A political system that is fair is a total rarity in this world.  American political parties weaponize, but fortunately not with real weapons but with statements and propaganda.  The democrats are now involved in a witch-hunt which is an abominable-Trump-hunt,  and hopefully there will be some success here and put this miserable crook behind bars.

In China there is no witch-hunt ( against Xi and his party ) because it has a totalitarian regime, which only hunts innocent people.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:28 AM, PlayersGroup said:

It is understandable big nation rivalry exists, it's the tactics we agree or disagree. I rather prefer less hacking and espionage, less misinformation, less sowing discord among the common folk just trying to pursue personal happiness and live in peace. I prefer they compete in business and economics with some rules in place than militarily over nationalistic boundaries. But that may be my wishful thinking.

You know that big countries will not limit their competition purely on business and economics. They need to feed their egos and national psyche, that they are powerful, since this tends to distract the local population of the internal problems they face.

Слава Україні!

On 8/11/2022 at 7:42 PM, Steve5380 said:

A political system that is fair is a total rarity in this world.  American political parties weaponize, but fortunately not with real weapons but with statements and propaganda.  The democrats are now involved in a witch-hunt which is an abominable-Trump-hunt,  and hopefully there will be some success here and put this miserable crook behind bars.

In China there is no witch-hunt ( against Xi and his party ) because it has a totalitarian regime, which only hunts innocent people.

It is tragic that the witch-hunt is happening now. Look at South Korea, their last 5-6 former Presidents are either prematurely dead or being locked up.

We hope the US system does not devolve into such political vengeance but it seems it is happening now with Trump. Trump is the best president US had in a very long time far better than Biden and Obama combined at their best, but unfortunately he does not fit the mould and he threatens to expose the decades long entrenched DC swamp. Fortunately, they are still millions of Americans who support Trump and will vote him in should he chooses to run in 2024. 

With Trump, he was able to make peace with China, and did not have cavalier Speaker stir up hornet nest in Taiwan as we witnessed recently with Biden’s Speaker Pelosi. 

Pelosi is well aware of her impending political end, yet selfishly went to Taiwan all just for some personal win before she gets kicked out in November, but her visit has destabilised the China-Taiwan situation, while she sits comfortably half a world away. 

On 8/11/2022 at 1:52 PM, 7heaven said:

It is tragic that the witch-hunt is happening now. Look at South Korea, their last 5-6 former Presidents are either prematurely dead or being locked up.

We hope the US system does not devolve into such political vengeance but it seems it is happening now with Trump. Trump is the best president US had in a very long time far better than Biden and Obama combined at their best, but unfortunately he does not fit the mould and he threatens to expose the decades long entrenched DC swamp. Fortunately, they are still millions of Americans who support Trump and will vote him in should he chooses to run in 2024. 

With Trump, he was able to make peace with China, and did not have cavalier Speaker stir up hornet nest in Taiwan as we witnessed recently with Biden’s Speaker Pelosi. 

Pelosi is well aware of her impending political end, yet selfishly went to Taiwan all just for some personal win before she gets kicked out in November, but her visit has destabilised the China-Taiwan situation, while she sits comfortably half a world away. 

Trump made peace with China?  In what planet are you living?

You forgot that it was Trump who started the economic war with China by imposing tariffs on the imports from there.  

But you are right that Trump became approachable.  He made buddies with Russia's Putin, who helped him win the 2016 election.  And he became a quasi-buddy with Kim Jong-un.  Both totalitarian leaders played him like a dumb sucker and while making "friends" with him they took total advantage of an American president,  something that was so embarrassing and hurtful for America!

It is the job of the American judicial system and police force to do witch-hunts of criminals.  And they seem to be succeeding with Trump,  who committed so many crimes that one cannot guess which ones the law is targeting.  

On 8/12/2022 at 2:52 AM, 7heaven said:

With Trump, he was able to make peace with China,

Trump’s China policy was a fiasco — not a triumph

WHAT SHOULD COME AFTER TRUMP’S FAILED CHINA POLICY?

JULY 6, 2020

Of all the Trump administration’s foreign policy failures, it is hard to think of one more comprehensive — or consequential — than its China policy. Candidate Donald Trump made China a central issue in his 2016 election campaign, claiming the United States was getting “ripped off” and promising that he would put an end to the failures of his predecessors, who had “allowed China to rape our country.” The “tougher” approach Trump was offering would, he said, “end our chronic trade deficits;” deliver a new trade deal; bring manufacturing jobs back to the United States; put an end to China’s dumping, alleged currency manipulation, illegal export subsidies, and intellectual property theft; and compel Beijing to be more supportive of U.S. efforts on issues such as North Korea and Iran. The promise to defend American workers from China’s nefarious trade practices clearly resonated politically, and was almost certainly a decisive factor in Trump’s narrow electoral victory over Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Nearly four years later, none of these goals have been realized, and it is hard to think of a single aspect of Sino-American relations that has evolved favorably for the United States. The bilateral trade deficit rose during Trump’s first two years and is now around the same size as when Trump took office. U.S. goods exports to China have fallen every year since 2017. Manufacturing jobs have not returned to the United States. Most of China’s nefarious trade and cyber practices have continued or even expanded. The narrow “phase one” trade deal Trump announced in January did little more than lift some of the tariffs Trump had imposed on American importers in exchange for Chinese promises to purchase more American goods that will almost certainly never be fulfilled. Internationally, China has reneged on its commitments to respect Hong Kong’s autonomy and continued to expand its military activities in the South China Sea. It has sunk or harassed ships from Vietnam, Malaysia, and Japan, confronted India militarily over a disputed border, launched multiple cyber-attacks against Australia, and done little to support U.S. diplomacy on North Korea and Iran.

Notwithstanding Trump’s aggressive courtship of President and Communist Party Chairman Xi Jinping — as recently as late February 2020 Trump was praising Xi’s “hard work” and “transparency” and claiming the relationship was “very good” — bilateral diplomatic relations are in tatters. Trump and Xi have not spoken since March 27. 

With Trump, he was able to make peace with China

Three and a half years into his presidency, Trump’s trade war has led to the loss of around 300,000 U.S. jobs, a tax of some $46 billion on U.S. importers (most of which has been passed along to consumers) and at least $28 billion in taxes to compensate U.S. farmers for the markets they lost when China retaliated. 

Trump Got China All Wrong. 

MARCH 24, 2021, 12:51 PM

Of all the Trump administration’s many foreign-policy missteps, its confrontational stance on China was perhaps the most ungainly. Spurts of negotiation on trade and intellectual property were followed by escalating tariffs on Chinese imports that were paid by U.S. companies. These provoked retaliatory Chinese actions that necessitated tens of billions of dollars of aid to U.S farmers decimated by the collapse of Chinese agricultural purchases.

How Trump’s Tariffs Really Affected the U.S. Job Market

The centerpiece of Trump’s trade deal with China ‘failed spectacularly’

A new report says the trade deal terms were in large part “a failure.”

On 8/11/2022 at 2:36 PM, singalion said:

Seems this Mississippi poodlefish aka 7heaven seems totally delusional?

Have you noticed that there is a "paddlefish" around that has dropped his "Mississippi"?  

It seems that this guest costume has multiple pieces,  and not all are used at all times.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:47 PM, singalion said:

Trump’s China policy was a fiasco — not a triumph

Like we all,  Trump realized that China had been screwing America by a) stealing its technology and intellectual property  and b) building with this technology an industry that could produce at much lower costs due to its much lower labor cost.  Also American companies moved their manufacturing facilities to China to take advantage of this lower labor cost.  This was a big loss of America with a huge unbalance of imports vs. exports.

To solve this, Trump latched onto the apparently obvious solution that his low intelligence and the low intelligence of his followers could comprehend,  which was to impose import tariffs on Chinese goods.  We all with little knowledge of international commerce could have thought this.  But the Chinese didn't take this passively, they imposed their own tariffs and cut the imports from America, and the result was a big loss to America.

This could have been averted if COMPETENT EXPERT people would have been in the Trump administration who would have foreseen this.  But Trump didn't like competent people, instead he preferred CRIMINAL people.  So he surrounded himself with crooks who were only good at benefitting Trump while screwing America.

Trump is the best president US had in a very long time far better than Biden and Obama combined at their best, but unfortunately he does not fit the mould and he threatens to expose the decades long entrenched DC swamp. 

I know the media is polarized in America and the people as well. It is unfortunate.

I also understand the appeal of Trump. He's unfiltered, assumed by supporters to be more genuine and outright than polished politicians and seems he's pro-business.

What I found interesting is that a large part of America no longer care if they have been targeted by Russian propaganda machinery in the age of the internet. Remember the solemn applause in the Russian parliament when Trump won the election? 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-wins-us-election-russia-putin-result-a7406866.html

Do Russians ever applaud democratic  elections in US, whoever wins? Dont think so. It is more likely, as various evidence attest to, this has been a long term campaign since the advent of the internet, and their campaign has borne fruit. They are applauding themselves for a long arduous job well done.

With an adversary crumbling from within, and access to intelligence info via either a "friendly" Trump either or accidentally by his unfiltered speech,  or an inexperienced government helming intelligence agencies, Russia likely had a field time gathering unprecedented levels of info about America.

That is the subject of investigation now. Did he take classified info to his own resort that he's not supposed to take? Of course, supporters and media like Fox News and the "independent" stations will work itself into a frenzy alleging witch hunt. But it is not a witch hunt. Trump has a fantastic image in the eyes of supporters, doing saying things few other presidents do or say. To supporters of Democrats, they are trying to right the wrongs done to America by a potential criminal who unfortunately became president. I don't think Americans in their usual nature are a nasty people towards their own ppl with a different political affiliation, but with some clandestine deliberate sowing of  discord, over time it has happened.

With a president like Trump, all it takes the Russians is to quietly watch America's missteps and self-inflicted wounds on the international stage, be it in pandemic management, NATO relations, Climate Accord, Trans Pacific Partnership.

To outsiders, Trump has too many issues to count to be a leader of the strongest country in the world. You may not like Obama, I find him calm and measured in most responses, but too restrained. Biden, I reserve my judgment. But, to say Trump is the best president in a long time, I don't know. I think America's forefathers are all turning in their graves. 

America is to outsiders, a cautionary tale. Just because you are a big prosperous powerful country, you can have vulnerabilities exploited. No empires last forever, especially if people are shortsighted and not aware enough of foreign manipulation.

No one is immune to deliberate misinformation and propaganda attacks. Who else has the same playbook as the Russians? I'm sure every country is learning. It's like Marvel's Darkhold. You use it, it's powerful, you hurt others, but ultimately you hurt yourself.

Edited by PlayersGroup

Trump is the best president US had in a very long time far better than Biden and Obama combined at their best, but unfortunately he does not fit the mould and he threatens to expose the decades long entrenched DC swamp.

How deluded can one get? Someone who is a proven liar, who cheats his supporters of money, and holds on to classified documents after exiting the White House?

Слава Україні!

On 8/12/2022 at 2:59 AM, sgmaven said:

How deluded can one get? Someone who is a proven liar, who cheats his supporters of money, and holds on to classified documents after exiting the White House?

He might not be deluded.  He is a provokateur, understanding reality just to write the complete opposite to be argumentative.  His posts should be taken as humorous examples of how wrong some people can be.

He might not be wrong but just a teaser,  but the unfortunate reality is that there are many Americans that eat and swallow that kind of political lies he writes without participation of their heads.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:49 AM, Steve5380 said:

Like we all,  Trump realized that China had been screwing America by a) stealing its technology and intellectual property  and b) building with this technology an industry that could produce at much lower costs due to its much lower labor cost.  Also American companies moved their manufacturing facilities to China to take advantage of this lower labor cost.  This was a big loss of America with a huge unbalance of imports vs. exports.

Why are you so against China?  Having been there It's a beautiful, enjoyable location. There is a lot of flexibility to roam about and interact with good-natured people. Additionally, I made a lot of terrific and affordable purchases there that I couldn't make in America.  America's loss is my gain, allowing common people like me to increase our savings.  Why does America require so much money that it cannot use to support its citizens? I imagined that China would take it and use it to better the lives of its own citizens. It has positive Karma.

------------------------------------------- Next Chapter  ---------------------------------

When we last checked, America had purposefully wrecked Afghanistan's infrastructure and robbed the nation of billions of dollars in reserves before leaving the country to its demise. The same is true of Iraq, but the West protested China's actions as it rebuilt the infrastructure of the countries being destroyed in war.  Once again, typical of the Western’s attitude.

Now, more bullying taking places.  Couple of Southern America countries were sanctioned by America into poverty, but China is not allowed to sanction Taiwan after warning of Pelosi’s visit?  Putin will tell you the same about EU and America for its double-standard deployment of trade sanctioning out of self-interest, no logical explanation is required during Ukraine crisis.  

Then the age-old dilemma with America in mind appeared.  While refusing to let China hold diplomatic peace negotiations with Taiwan, the West backed Israel in its war on the neighbouring Palestinian nation. If this is not icing on the cake, what is?

In this forum, I have clearly listed all of the transnational crimes committed by America, which are documented in my book "THE “GREAT” AMERICA STORY."   Writing it, nevertheless, was a really disturbing experience, and I found myself stopping frequently to thank God for giving me the courage to reveal the Western devil let loose.

In my book's conclusion, I said that the Statue of Liberty was meaningless at the moment and resembled Medusa holding a destructive flame.  Additionally, it has escaped its restraint and is causing mental mayhem in people.  Indeed, very evocative of America.

GOOD NIGHT!!!!

Edited by Why?

On 8/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, Why? said:

Having been there It's a beautiful, enjoyable location. There is a lot of flexibility to roam about and interact with good-natured people.

China may have some beautiful locations, however, there are many uncouth Chinese. Their free-for-all, disrespect for queues, etc. makes for an altogether negative experience walking in their midst, not to mention habits like spitting... I think @Why?paints a rather biased picture of China, just because for some reason, he doesn't like the US. Flexibility to roam is subjective, since you aren't really allowed, as a foreigner to roam freely in Tibet and Xinjiang.

I guess my group that visited Tibet was "luckier", since it consisted only of ethnic Chinese, with only 3 of us foreigners (two Taiwanese & one Singaporean), and we were able to pass of as a PRC-only group. Those groups with caucasians were less "fortunate" with more restrictions.

Слава Україні!

On 8/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, Why? said:

Now, more bullying taking places.  Couple of Southern America countries were sanctioned by America into poverty, but China is not allowed to sanction Taiwan after warning of Pelosi’s visit?  Putin will tell you the same about EU and America for its double-standard deployment of trade sanctioning out of self-interest, no logical explanation is required during Ukraine crisis. 

If you look at the entirety of South America, most of the economies fair pretty badly, with or without American involvement. Venezuela's current problems with their economy, stems from their own internal fiscal policies, rather than any sanctions imposed. If you accuse the US for situation Venezuela is in, then should you also blame China for the mess Sri Lanka is in?

As far as I know, the invasion of the Ukraine by Russia is an act of aggression against a free and sovereign country. The Ukraine might have been a little corrupt, and a little divided in opinion, but surely it does not justify an invasion by another country? The Ukraine might have similar Slavic roots as the Russians, but they are separate nations.

@Why?may consider Taiwan to be merely a renegade province of China, but that is his own opinion. Most Taiwanese today no longer see themselves as part of China. So, why can't they receive the visit of a foreign lawmaker, just because their neighbour is not happy? What right then, has China to start "military drills" to effectively blockade the island?

Слава Україні!

With Xi finding himself as the leader of the PRC,  an revered strongman,  what can keep him from thinking that destiny has put him there because he is superior, able to create the Chinese superpower, a new Empire that will dominate all Asia and beyond for the next 1000 years or so.  Maybe the 21st century is the one that starts China's global dominance?   And even if his initial intentions are reasonable, what happens if something stands between him and his objective?   Like recent strongmen, he may have already embraced the principle that " the goal justifies the means " and give up on morality and restrain

You forgot that previously Chinese leaders were pushed into retirement from younger politicians...

To Xi the same will happen sooner or later. 

There won't be any second Mao...

On 8/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, singalion said:

You forgot that previously Chinese leaders were pushed into retirement from younger politicians...

To Xi the same will happen sooner or later. 

There won't be any second Mao...

I hope you are right, and that the next one is not obsessed with Taiwan.  But remember that Jinping removed the two term limit in China's constitution,  so that he can remain in power forever.  This is not a good sign...

I think Xi continues to portray that strong man image, so as to deter anyone who wants to challenge him for his power. He has done lots to consolidate his hold on power, since taking office, by deposing a lot of his political opponents (through accusation of corruption, no doubt), as well as doing away with the two-term-limit as mentioned by @Steve5380. I seriously doubt that Xi will go willingly (unlike many of his predecessors), so we have to see how the younger generation take to his grip on power. Of course, part of his game is to stir up nationalistic fervour, so that the Chinese public get distracted by problems within their own country. That is partly why he has been so hard on HK and Taiwan, knowing that unless AI and robotics make huge developments by 2030, China may not have the manpower to take Taiwan by force.

Слава Україні!

Not sure if everyone knows this demographic detail (most know China has an aging population), but the number of Chinese in the workforce (or of working age) has already peaked. So the decline in manpower is a very real issue in China.

Слава Україні!

On 8/14/2022 at 8:21 PM, sgmaven said:

Most Taiwanese today no longer see themselves as part of China. So, why can't they receive the visit of a foreign lawmaker, just because their neighbour is not happy? What right then, has China to start "military drills" to effectively blockade the island?

Shouldn't China's current behaviour be a warning to the world?

China's behaviour is turning more and more aggressive.

Also China is trying to impose it's point of view on other countries.

It started with the approach on Australia in 2018 when China disliked the Australian policy on various points.

You object on anything that is not China's narrative, you step into trouble.

And here is the hypocrisy of China's foreign policy.

Saying that China does not resort to economic sanctions, while it's behaviour is punishing economies by similar tools:

But look at this:

Starting in May 2020, China slapped crippling tariffs on Australian barley; banned beef from four major meat processors; launched an anti-dumping probe into Aussie wine that led to massive levies; and told importers to stop buying cotton and lobsters. Timber exports were banned and at least $500 million of coal delayed for months off Chinese ports -- apparently one of the catalysts for the blackouts.

China locked up two Canadians and halted billions of dollars in agricultural imports in the months that followed.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:59 PM, sgmaven said:

On 8/14/2022 at 8:06 AM, Steve5380 said:

He might not be deluded.  He is a provokateur, understanding reality just to write the complete opposite to be argumentative.  His posts should be taken as humorous examples of how wrong some people can be.

He might not be wrong but just a teaser,  but the unfortunate reality is that there are many Americans that eat and swallow that kind of political lies he writes without participation of their heads.

You have been repeatedly writing here that you think the posts are teasing.

Someone who goes miles to defend seems to me to exceed the action of teasing.

Just look at all the denials from him on 100% clear given facts.

Honestly, I even find your categorising him as "teasing" dangerous. It is playing down the outright dangers that his posts represent to innocent BW readers who lack the background knowledge.

I also see his aim by repeating the same over and over as a strategy to let certain false messages to set in or in hoping to achieve this.

If you repeat 100 times that Hillary Clinton is a criminal because of using private servers for official emails, the taint on her image will stick in. This method has been predominantly used by fascists to make people believe in their untruths.

You, Steve might not easily get swayed by his posts but you forget the others that lack the information.

In view of the dangers to society, I would appreciate if you stop repeating calling his actions as just "teasing".

The posts clearly exceed "teasing" or just being provocative to keep a discussion going but are motivated by other agendas.

On 8/15/2022 at 1:00 PM, singalion said:

You have been repeatedly writing here that you think the posts are teasing...Honestly, I even find your categorising him as "teasing" dangerous. It is playing down the outright dangers that his posts represent to innocent BW readers...in view of the dangers to society, I would appreciate if you stop repeating calling his actions as just "teasing"...posts clearly exceed "teasing"...

For discussion's sake, let's say you are completely correct. Even if you are, unless we are moderators who have the right and responsibilities of managing posts here, I suggest we take it easy on the "dangers to innocent readers and dangers to society" train of thought. This is an 18yo n above space, so I think adults should think for themselves. If Steve5380 thinks it's a tease, it's a tease to him. There is also basically nothing wrong with someone who believes in China, that's his belief.

We are on a bulletin board to discuss, not to police people's thoughts. We can report to moderators if anyone contravene ground rules, but otherwise, if no ground rules are broken people are responsible for their own posts, their own minds.

On 8/15/2022 at 3:04 PM, PlayersGroup said:

For discussion's sake, let's say you are completely correct. Even if you are, unless we are moderators who have the right and responsibilities of managing posts here, I suggest we take it easy on the "dangers to innocent readers and dangers to society" train of thought. This is an 18yo n above space, so I think adults should think for themselves. If Steve5380 thinks it's a tease, it's a tease to him. There is also basically nothing wrong with someone who believes in China, that's his belief.

We are on a bulletin board to discuss, not to police people's thoughts. We can report to moderators if anyone contravene ground rules, but otherwise, if no ground rules are broken people are responsible for their own posts, their own minds.

Maybe I have a different approach.

If posting amounts to abuse, misuse of the forum and is just pushing one sided untruthful  propaganda and has a mere political agenda, then I don't think it should be tolerated. There should be limits.

I am aware that it is up to the Moderators to decide.

However, Moderators also have a certain responsibility. In particular looking at the legal regulations in Singapore.

But look the other thread on the Media was closed because the "abuse" of the forum to push certain one sided propaganda was too obvious.

I have my personal thoughts on why it did not happen in the USA thread so far the same as I have my personal assumption who is in fact behind that one member profile, but which I will not share here in public.

You can think for yourself and might find the answers, because I am aware that you are not unintelligent.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:00 AM, singalion said:

You have been repeatedly writing here that you think the posts are teasing.

Someone who goes miles to defend seems to me to exceed the action of teasing.

Just look at all the denials from him on 100% clear given facts.

Honestly, I even find your categorising him as "teasing" dangerous. It is playing down the outright dangers that his posts represent to innocent BW readers who lack the background knowledge.

I also see his aim by repeating the same over and over as a strategy to let certain false messages to set in or in hoping to achieve this.

If you repeat 100 times that Hillary Clinton is a criminal because of using private servers for official emails, the taint on her image will stick in. This method has been predominantly used by fascists to make people believe in their untruths.

You, Steve might not easily get swayed by his posts but you forget the others that lack the information.

In view of the dangers to society, I would appreciate if you stop repeating calling his actions as just "teasing".

The posts clearly exceed "teasing" or just being provocative to keep a discussion going but are motivated by other agendas.

Indeed, posts full of falsities can be dangerous if left unchallenged.  But here is where you and some other posters we step in and contradict the falsities with reality and truth. 

These teasing misinformed or malevolent posters would be more dangerous if they posted in an American forum read by many Americans,  but I believe that few BW readers are also American voters.   There can be even some benefits in these discussions between writers of falsities and writers of truths that can teach innocent BW readers how to stand up for their convictions and defend the truth.  And these innocent readers can easily differentiate between falsity and truth by reading both Western and Asian news publications and follow events on the web.  And so they will realize that Trump is not an innocent good leader demonized by his opponents, but a crook of the worst kind.

On 8/15/2022 at 8:47 PM, Steve5380 said:

There can be even some benefits in these discussions between writers of falsities and writers of truths that can teach innocent BW readers how to stand up for their convictions and defend the truth.  And these innocent readers can easily differentiate between falsity and truth by reading both Western and Asian news publications and follow events on the web.

That was why I hotly-contested the position of @Startup, when he started his thread on the "Non-Anglo-Saxon View" of World and Current Affairs. What it seemed as that all he wanted was an echo-chamber of anti-American views, with no counters to those views.

Слава Україні!

On 8/12/2022 at 3:05 AM, Steve5380 said:

Trump made peace with China?  In what planet are you living?

You forgot that it was Trump who started the economic war with China by imposing tariffs on the imports from there.  

But you are right that Trump became approachable.  He made buddies with Russia's Putin, who helped him win the 2016 election.  And he became a quasi-buddy with Kim Jong-un.  Both totalitarian leaders played him like a dumb sucker and while making "friends" with him they took total advantage of an American president,  something that was so embarrassing and hurtful for America!

It is the job of the American judicial system and police force to do witch-hunts of criminals.  And they seem to be succeeding with Trump,  who committed so many crimes that one cannot guess which ones the law is targeting.  

It is ironic that you speak about people spreading falsities and misinformation, and yet you are the same as those people who spread falsities and misinformation about Russia helping Trump win the election. 

The federal system has been weaponised by political opponents (Democrats) of Republicans and Trump when they are still have majority in the House and Senate to witch-hunt Trump. They know time is running out as in all likelihood Democrats will lose the majority in the House and Senate come November. It is clear as daylight what objective people know what Democrats are up to. 

They are very frightened when Trump wins in 2024 again, he will clean them up of ironically their own crimes, and investigate Hunter’s, Swalwell’s and others involvements with foreign actors. 

On 8/12/2022 at 8:21 AM, PlayersGroup said:

I know the media is polarized in America and the people as well. It is unfortunate.

I also understand the appeal of Trump. He's unfiltered, assumed by supporters to be more genuine and outright than polished politicians and seems he's pro-business.

What I found interesting is that a large part of America no longer care if they have been targeted by Russian propaganda machinery in the age of the internet. Remember the solemn applause in the Russian parliament when Trump won the election? 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-wins-us-election-russia-putin-result-a7406866.html

Do Russians ever applaud democratic  elections in US, whoever wins? Dont think so. It is more likely, as various evidence attest to, this has been a long term campaign since the advent of the internet, and their campaign has borne fruit. They are applauding themselves for a long arduous job well done.

With an adversary crumbling from within, and access to intelligence info via either a "friendly" Trump either or accidentally by his unfiltered speech,  or an inexperienced government helming intelligence agencies, Russia likely had a field time gathering unprecedented levels of info about America.

That is the subject of investigation now. Did he take classified info to his own resort that he's not supposed to take? Of course, supporters and media like Fox News and the "independent" stations will work itself into a frenzy alleging witch hunt. But it is not a witch hunt. Trump has a fantastic image in the eyes of supporters, doing saying things few other presidents do or say. To supporters of Democrats, they are trying to right the wrongs done to America by a potential criminal who unfortunately became president. I don't think Americans in their usual nature are a nasty people towards their own ppl with a different political affiliation, but with some clandestine deliberate sowing of  discord, over time it has happened.

With a president like Trump, all it takes the Russians is to quietly watch America's missteps and self-inflicted wounds on the international stage, be it in pandemic management, NATO relations, Climate Accord, Trans Pacific Partnership.

To outsiders, Trump has too many issues to count to be a leader of the strongest country in the world. You may not like Obama, I find him calm and measured in most responses, but too restrained. Biden, I reserve my judgment. But, to say Trump is the best president in a long time, I don't know. I think America's forefathers are all turning in their graves. 

America is to outsiders, a cautionary tale. Just because you are a big prosperous powerful country, you can have vulnerabilities exploited. No empires last forever, especially if people are shortsighted and not aware enough of foreign manipulation.

No one is immune to deliberate misinformation and propaganda attacks. Who else has the same playbook as the Russians? I'm sure every country is learning. It's like Marvel's Darkhold. You use it, it's powerful, you hurt others, but ultimately you hurt yourself.

I understand the appeal of Obama, who on the facade speaks well, is articulate as he should be given he is a lawyer from a top law school. However, his administration is a wasted one where nothing much came out of it eventually after so much hype. He failed to reign in on Iran, North Korea, ISIS and also annexation of Crimea by Russia. Fortunately, he did not have a Speaker like his VP Biden who went to Taiwan and stir up a hornet’s net and activist Democrat congressmen further provoking China. 

I think the American forefathers are applauding from their graves thankful for a President like Trump who puts Americans’ interests front and center. A lot of people I know who supports trump are sadly afraid to openly admit it because of fear of the cancel culture perpetuated by people who consume much of the anti-Trump propaganda without giving pause to think critically, from media and other social media platforms. 

It looks the people who control the media and social media who are Democrats leaning have achieved what Russians will never be able to achieve; is to mislead and perpetuate misinformation of their political opponents. Trump is a shining example and they will not stop until he is ineligible to run in 2024. 

China stages more drills near Taiwan as US lawmakers visit

Published 15 Aug 2022

BEIJING (REUTERS) - China's military said it carried out further drills near Taiwan on Monday (Aug 15) as a group of US lawmakers visited the Chinese-claimed island and met with President Tsai Ing-wen.

The five US lawmakers, led by Senator Ed Markey, arrived in Taipei on an unannounced visit late on Sunday, the second high-level group to visit following that of US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi in early August, which set off several days of Chinese war games.

The Chinese military unit responsible for the area adjacent to Taiwan, the People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theatre Command, said it had organised multi-service joint combat readiness patrols and combat drills in the sea and airspace around Taiwan on Monday.

The exercises were “a stern deterrent to the United States and Taiwan continuing to play political tricks and undermine peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait”, it added.

China’s Defence Ministry said in a separate statement that the lawmakers’ trip infringed on China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity and “fully exposes the true face of the United States as a spoiler and spoiler of peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait”.

“The Chinese People’s Liberation Army continues to train and prepare for war, resolutely defends national sovereignty and territorial integrity, and will resolutely crush any form of ‘Taiwan independence’ separatism and foreign interference.”

Neither statement gave details of the drills.

Taiwan Premier Su Tseng-chang said Taiwan would not be deterred by China’s response to such visits by foreign friends.  

“We can’t just do nothing because there is an evil neighbour next door, and not dare to let visitors or friends come,” he told reporters. 

Mrs Pelosi’s visit infuriated China, which responded with test launches of ballistic missiles over Taipei for the first time, and ditching some lines of dialogue with Washington, including theatre military talks and on climate change.

The latest group of US lawmakers to visit Taiwan were due to meet Ms Tsai on Monday morning. Her office has yet to comment on that meeting.

However, this trip was much more low key than Mrs Pelosi’s, with Ms Tsai’s meeting with them not carried live on her social media pages, which is the general practice when high-level foreign guests come.

The group left Taiwan late on Monday afternoon. It was not immediately clear where they were going.

The de facto US embassy in Taipei said they had also met Foreign Minister Joseph Wu and members of Taiwan’s Parliament’s foreign affairs and defence committee.

“In all of these meetings, the delegation had an opportunity to exchange views with Taiwan counterparts on a wide range of issues of importance to both the United States and Taiwan,” the American Institute in Taiwan said.

The United States has no formal diplomatic ties with Taiwan but is bound by law to provide the democratically governed island with the means to defend itself.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:22 PM, 7heaven said:

I understand the appeal of Obama, who on the facade speaks well, is articulate as he should be given he is a lawyer from a top law school. However, his administration is a wasted one where nothing much came out of it eventually after so much hype. He failed to reign in on Iran, North Korea, ISIS and also annexation of Crimea by Russia. Fortunately, he did not have a Speaker like his VP Biden who went to Taiwan and stir up a hornet’s net and activist Democrat congressmen further provoking China. 

I think the American forefathers are applauding from their graves thankful for a President like Trump who puts Americans’ interests front and center. A lot of people I know who supports trump are sadly afraid to openly admit it because of fear of the cancel culture perpetuated by people who consume much of the anti-Trump propaganda without giving pause to think critically, from media and other social media platforms. 

It looks the people who control the media and social media who are Democrats leaning have achieved what Russians will never be able to achieve; is to mislead and perpetuate misinformation of their political opponents. Trump is a shining example and they will not stop until he is ineligible to run in 2024. 

Wah. Have u ever considered joining the state media of the Russians or Chinese? 

On 8/16/2022 at 2:46 AM, sgmaven said:

I think his talents would be wasted, if he didn't join the North Korea state media!

His posts don't even need the pictures of Kim in Mao style work suits walking through factories because I can see them through the lines in his posts...

On 8/16/2022 at 12:04 AM, PlayersGroup said:

Wah. Have u ever considered joining the state media of the Russians or Chinese? 

I have considered joining some mainstream media and social media platforms in US but don’t think I fit their objective of pandering left-wing propaganda and hysterical reporting of Trump and Republicans. 

On 8/16/2022 at 4:21 PM, 7heaven said:

I have considered joining some mainstream media and social media platforms in US but don’t think I fit their objective of pandering left-wing propaganda and hysterical reporting of Trump and Republicans. 

You should consider again I think. The extreme left and the extreme right sounds really similar, like great buddies actually. I think you will do well alternating between the two.

Edited by PlayersGroup

On 8/16/2022 at 5:38 PM, PlayersGroup said:

You should consider again I think. The extreme left and the extreme right sounds really similar, like great buddies actually. I think you will do well alternating between the two.

There are already too many extreme left wing pro-Democrats who are so accustomed with pandering anti-Republicans and suffering from Trump derangement syndrome who are working there.

They are far better at what they do best to misinform and indoctrinate their narrative. It is evident from how many misinformed people about the politics in US. This forum has quite too many. 

Edited by 7heaven
B

On 8/16/2022 at 4:21 PM, 7heaven said:

With all your "skills and experience", I am sure OAN will take you up!

Слава Україні!

The extreme left and extreme right who cannot get out of their obsession are both irritating to most people, the only winners in this dichotomy are America's adversaries. Now can we go back to Taiwan and east Asia? 😅

Edited by PlayersGroup

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.