Male HQ

Taiwan, one of the unresolved issues in East Asia...

singalion

On 5/6/2022 at 10:16 PM, Guest Hygiene Man said:

Fire ants? Mosquitoes?  The last we heard you have plenty of spiders in your kitchen or was it just bees?  You need to get your butt off your PC and start doing thorough housekeeping daily/    

Yes, that was years ago when I had a bee hive on one of the outside walls of my house.  It didn't bother me until it got so big that bees starting coming into my kitchen.  I had a bee caretaker come and move the hive somewhere else.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, InBangkok said:

When you suggest you might travel when it becomes easier again, it's already easy.

That depends on where you go.  I have a friend in the gym who left for a trip to Nepal to do mountain climbing, and he made a scale in Bangkok.  He had to spend a week there in quarantine as soon as he arrived.  Very inconvenient.   With the vacation travel starting in the US,  airfare is at an all time high, hotels, car rental,  have little availability and high prices.  I have no urgency to travel, so I will wait until travel conditions improve. 

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Mind Own Business
On 5/7/2022 at 11:19 AM, Steve5380 said:

Yes, that was years ago when I had a bee hive on one of the outside walls of my house.  It didn't bother me until it got so big that bees starting coming into my kitchen.  I had a bee caretaker come and move the hive somewhere else.

Please pay more attention to your own backyard instead of China's backyard.  

On 5/6/2022 at 10:43 PM, Guest Mind Own Business said:

Please pay more attention to your own backyard instead of China's backyard.  

I only pay my backyard the attention it needs.  I have other more interesting things to do.

About China's backyard,  I don't care much about this country and I wish it all the best, as long is it does not become a problem for other nations  like the US.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:25 AM, Steve5380 said:

That depends on where you go.  I have a friend in the gym who left for a trip to Burma to do mountain climbing, and he made a scale in Bangkok.  He had to spend a week there in quarantine as soon as he arrived.  Very inconvenient.   With the vacation travel starting in the US,  airfare is at an all time high, hotels, car rental,  have little availability and high prices.  I have no urgency to travel, so I will wait until travel conditions improve. 

Well, what do you expect of anyone who travels to Burma? (Actually for your information  it's now named Myanmar). And who in their right mind would even have considered travelling to Myanmar over the last couple of years when there has been a bloody military insurgency under way? When did your friend travel? Tourists have not been able to get visas for Myanmar since 2020!

As for Bangkok, you are also out of date. Now there is no quarantine for those who have been vaccinated. The same is true of Singapore and the USA. So you can commence your travel to Singapore's saunas quickly and easily.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:07 PM, InBangkok said:

Well, what do you expect of anyone who travels to Burma? (Actually for your information  it's now named Myanmar). And who in their right mind would even have considered travelling to Myanmar over the last couple of years when there has been a bloody military insurgency under way? When did your friend travel? Tourists have not been able to get visas for Myanmar since 2020!

As for Bangkok, you are also out of date. Now there is no quarantine for those who have been vaccinated. The same is true of Singapore and the USA. So you can commence your travel to Singapore's saunas quickly and easily.

I am sorry,  I mistakenly wrote Burma,  when the place my friend went to is Nepal.  One of my mistakes, I know.  He is a good mountain climber and is frequently on the Himalayas.   I would also not travel to Myanmar. 

As for Bangkok,  he traveled about two weeks ago, and at that time the quarantine was still in effect,  vaccinated or not,  covid positive or not.  I heard that this quarantine has been recently, or will soon be terminated.

P.D.  I am glad to have here a proofreader who catches my mistakes.  I like to be made aware of my mistakes.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Mind Own Business
On 5/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, Steve5380 said:

I only pay my backyard the attention it needs.  I have other more interesting things to do.

About China's backyard,  I don't care much about this country and I wish it all the best, as long is it does not become a problem for other nations  like the US.

That is easy. As long as US stop being nosey in China's backyard,  it is pretty safe. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, Steve5380 said:

am sorry,  I mistakenly wrote Burma,  when the place my friend went to is Nepal.  One of my mistakes, I know.  He is a good mountain climber and is frequently on the Himalayas.   I would also not travel to Myanmar. 

As for Bangkok,  he traveled about two weeks ago, and at that time the quarantine was still in effect,  vaccinated or not,  covid positive or not.  I heard that this quarantine has been recently, or will soon be terminated.

You do have a habit of getting places wrong. Remember you wrote about enjoying your visit to Seoul 101 and, only after another poster pointed out there is no Seoul 101 only a Taipei 101, you remembered that it was Taipei you visited? Now mistaking Burma (sic) with Nepal when the two countries are nowhere near each other! And we all note that you changed your original post to read Nepal. Unfortunately you cannot change the replies made to that post in which it is obvious you wrote "Burma"!

As for Bangkok, wrong again! Quarantine was not in effect for vaccinated travellers two weeks ago. It was abolished on April 1st. For many weeks before then, quarantine was only 1 day - not 1 week. Clearly your friend did not travel two weeks ago. And since it must have been more than two weeks ago, you night like to know that February and March are not the climbing season in Nepal! So where did he travel?

On 5/6/2022 at 9:16 PM, Steve5380 said:

Singalion, aren't you oversensitive in your rush to judge me?  Where was racism in my post?

Is it because I detected cynicism?   This is a universal trait of all races.

Ah... is it because I mentioned Asian slanted eyes?  Where do I put down slanted eyes?  On the contrary, I love them!

My daughter-in-law is of Korean descent.  Her son, my little grandson of 2 1/2 years old, has a beautiful face that is definitely Asian, and both my sister and I love it.  We will ask his parents not to have any epicanthoplasty  (simple surgery to eliminate the epicanthic fold) on him,  since we suspect his Korean mother had it done because her face does not have an Asian look.   We also are pleased that some Asian blood has entered the family, where it adds to the mixture of German (Caucasian), Jewish, French and maybe traces of American Native blood.  Just the opposite of racism!

We believe that it is with us like it is said of dogs:  the more mixed, the more intelligent and loyal, ha ha. 

I don't think I was "oversensitive". 

Besides racism your post was also a direct insult to sgmaven , mentioning something such egregious into his face. 

Maybe you are unable to see the racism . 

You always come with your excuses and defences. 

Having a half Korean grandson is no legitimate evidence that your earlier statement wasn't bordering on racism or even racist. 

Edited by singalion

@Steve5380is just one of those abrasive Americans who thinks he knows better about EVERYTHING, even though he is FAR REMOVED from Asia.

As for my cynicism, isn't it a post-modern mindset developed by the schools in the West? 😀 I think @Steve5380doesn't quite connect with post-modernism, since his posts suggest that he is still stuck with modernism.

Слава Україні!

On 5/7/2022 at 4:57 AM, sgmaven said:

@Steve5380is just one of those abrasive Americans who thinks he knows better about EVERYTHING, even though he is FAR REMOVED from Asia.

As for my cynicism, isn't it a post-modern mindset developed by the schools in the West? 😀 I think @Steve5380doesn't quite connect with post-modernism, since his posts suggest that he is still stuck with modernism.

I am "abrasive"?   How can one be abrasive through the Internet?  Perhaps by sanding optical waves or the monitors of remote viewers? 

I may be more direct and factual, a consequence of having to use my "troll zapper" posts more often.  Of course I stay away of post-modernism, more fitting to people who want to make themselves sound more interesting by challenging everything,  except, interestingly,  their own existence. 

I am a down-to-earth individual,  aware of the evils in our existence  ( there are no evils in the universe, but only exist for living creatures ) but understanding them with a wisdom that comes with experience.  The situation of Taiwan may not benefit from post-modernistic ideologies.

Edited by Steve5380

On 5/6/2022 at 11:28 PM, Guest Mind Own Business said:

That is easy. As long as US stop being nosey in China's backyard,  it is pretty safe. 

How is having concerns for the wellbeing of other people is "being nosey"?

America is simply worried about the humanitarian abuses perpetrated by the PRC.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:05 AM, singalion said:

I don't think I was "oversensitive". 

Besides racism your post was also a direct insult to sgmaven , mentioning something such egregious into his face. 

Maybe you are unable to see the racism . 

To be cynical IS NOT "egregious".  It is a natural tendency resulting from being frustrated or simply negative.

The healthy mind that is in peace and is understanding does not need to be cynical.  Such a mind also does not find "racism" under every stone.  

On 5/7/2022 at 11:47 AM, InBangkok said:

You do have a habit of getting places wrong. Remember you wrote about enjoying your visit to Seoul 101 and, only after another poster pointed out there is no Seoul 101 only a Taipei 101, you remembered that it was Taipei you visited? Now mistaking Burma (sic) with Nepal when the two countries are nowhere near each other! And we all note that you changed your original post to read Nepal. Unfortunately you cannot change the replies made to that post in which it is obvious you wrote "Burma"!

As for Bangkok, wrong again! Quarantine was not in effect for vaccinated travellers two weeks ago. It was abolished on April 1st. For many weeks before then, quarantine was only 1 day - not 1 week. Clearly your friend did not travel two weeks ago. And since it must have been more than two weeks ago, you night like to know that February and March are not the climbing season in Nepal! So where did he travel?

Well, this must be a first! @Steve5380 makes a number of comments virtually all of which are not true, he is tackled about them and his errors pointed out - and he remains silent instead of the usual dumbing down as though trying to make them truthful.

He mentioned -

- Burma when he later said he really meant Nepal.

- he gets the quarantine regulations in Bangkok "about two weeks ago" wrong.

- he gets the mountaineering period in Nepal wrong, the period when he said his mountain climber friend went to Nepal.

- he stated that he would wait to undertake more sex tourism in Asia when travel became easier. It's now easy to the main countries he used to visit and for one who has no work and is free to travel almost at will, a simple search illustrates that there are plenty of good fares still available. Hotel rates are also still much cheaper than on his previous visits. He stated travel was still expensive! It isn't. So @Steve5380 Singapore's saunas await you!

Earlier, as mentioned, he got Seoul 101 wrong!

Must be the effects of ageing on one's brain.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, Steve5380 said:

America is simply worried about the humanitarian abuses perpetrated by the PRC.

Oh really? I doubt that very much. America is looking after its own interests.

Edited by InBangkok

On 5/7/2022 at 10:38 PM, Steve5380 said:

To be cynical IS NOT "egregious".  It is a natural tendency resulting from being frustrated or simply negative.

The healthy mind that is in peace and is understanding does not need to be cynical.  Such a mind also does not find "racism" under every stone.  

This is one of your interpretations and multiple defence explanations. 

I m quite sure many saw the racist insult in your post. 

I can let it rest and don't intend to draw more attention on you. 

On 5/8/2022 at 12:08 PM, InBangkok said:

Well, this must be a first! @Steve5380 makes a number of comments virtually all of which are not true, he is tackled about them and his errors pointed out - and he remains silent instead of the usual dumbing down as though trying to make them truthful.

He mentioned -

- Burma when he later said he really meant Nepal.

- he gets the quarantine regulations in Bangkok "about two weeks ago" wrong.

- he gets the mountaineering period in Nepal wrong, the period when he said his mountain climber friend went to Nepal.

- he stated that he would wait to undertake more sex tourism in Asia when travel became easier. It's now easy to the main countries he used to visit and for one who has no work and is free to travel almost at will, a simple search illustrates that there are plenty of good fares still available. Hotel rates are also still much cheaper than on his previous visits. He stated travel was still expensive! It isn't. So @Steve5380 Singapore's saunas await you!

Earlier, as mentioned, he got Seoul 101 wrong!

Must be the effects of ageing on one's brain.

Oh really? I doubt that very much. America is looking after its own interests.

Why bother? Do some excessive beer fasting and throw some grains of lentils to the pigeons in Bangkok   ...

Is it worth spending so much time on him?

There were US presidents who thought Afghanistan is Albania, don't expect too much from Americans, and Texas..  ? probably worse...

Guest Dinosaur Museusm

M

On 5/8/2022 at 12:08 PM, InBangkok said:

Moral of the story.  Don't try to crack a fossilized egg or attempt to hatch one.  You are in for great dissappointment. 

On 5/8/2022 at 11:23 AM, singalion said:

Is it worth spending so much time on him?

Very little time. And yes, it is worth correcting him when he makes mistakes and then, as he frequently does, he fails to acknowledge them or doubles down on them and trashes the poster. Was I wrong to correct him when he said he suggested my partner attended gay saunas which he does not? Was I wrong to tackle him on his ridiculous comment about attending a live opera performance being similar to attending a Singapore gay sauna? On both of those issues, he did not admit he was wrong. He could have let the issues drop. But no! He merely doubled down, doubled down again and then accused me of calling him a liar. If a poster attacks you -  and I know some have - do you merely sit back and take that nonsense?

Equally I know a great deal about Taiwan having lived in close proximity to the island for decades and having visited many, many times and with several close friends there - as I have written. If he writes suggestions that are patently unworkable in today's political climate, is he to be permitted to make these suggestions without some form of rebuttal? Surely this would devalue the forum and the topic? Taiwan is an intensely serious issue which will probably become more serious for Asia and the world as the years pass. It should not be a subject for frivolous comment.

Edited by InBangkok

Guest Correction Tape
On 5/8/2022 at 12:41 PM, InBangkok said:

Very little time. And yes, it is worth correcting him when he makes mistakes and then, as he frequently does, he fails to acknowledge them or doubles down on them and trashes the poster. Was I wrong to correct him

You are not wrong to correct someone.  Your mistakes like squarely on choosing a stubborn person to correct.  As a result, your time is not very well spend here.  Move on. 

On 5/7/2022 at 10:42 AM, Steve5380 said:

That's right.  I have recently carried out a massacre of fire ants in my garden, plus a massacre of mosquitoes with my bug zapper.

How cruel to kill some ants. 

With the decline of insects this is outrageous. I can hear a young Swedish girl shouting: "How dare you!". 

For the bees Steve should have built a hive and add some natural honey to his water fasts. ...

This is Trump mindset stuck in the 1950s. 

On 5/8/2022 at 11:44 AM, Guest Correction Tape said:

You are not wrong to correct someone.  Your mistakes like squarely on choosing a stubborn person to correct.  As a result, your time is not very well spend here.  Move on. 

Well that s a very funny way to run a chat room. So if I call you a lot of names that are in effect lies, and if i post a lot of information  (as @Steve5380 recently did about homosexuality and the island of Antigua before eventually, after a number of posts from other posters, he wrote "I simply described what I had read about Anigua!" So he knew nothing about it and happened to base his mean post about gays visiting Antigua on the wrong or out of date article), in those cases you just run away from the truth? I don't care if @Steve5380 is "stubborn" or sometimes just plain wrong, in those cases I will not run away from the truth.

The issue you describe is one for the moderators of the forum. Posters here and guests do not have to read posts from any posters. And as @Steve5380 pointed out when one Guest made a comment about his posting, he suggested the Guest become a member rater thanh iding behind a Guest label. Maybe you missed that post!

It is funny that the US started off as a country full of people who did not know much about the world outside, just wanting to be left alone in their own continent, and were dragged in rather unwillingly into WW1. Come WW2 and the Cold War, they transformed into a nation of people who still do not know much about the world outside, but can't help but butt their noses into everyone else's business...

Слава Україні!

On 5/8/2022 at 2:29 PM, sgmaven said:

It is funny that the US started off as a country full of people who did not know much about the world outside, just wanting to be left alone in their own continent, and were dragged in rather unwillingly into WW1. Come WW2 and the Cold War, they transformed into a nation of people who still do not know much about the world outside, but can't help but butt their noses into everyone else's business...

Well. this might be the wrong thread for this disussion. 

I think since early 1914 the US started categorising countries that are in their hemisphere and trouble every country that shifted into a different direction. Later, the Cold War worsened the situation as the US feared countries would align with Russia. Therefore, the US did everything possible to prevent any change of "influence" or shifting away to the other side. I think it was called the Truman doctrine. 

Once a country starts to get embroiled it is difficult to let go. 

And don't forget the economic exploitation of any allies. While the Monroe doctrine was aimed to prevent further colonialisation by European nations, the US did nothing different than imposing sales of their products, weapons etc...

On 5/8/2022 at 12:08 AM, singalion said:

How cruel to kill some ants. 

With the decline of insects this is outrageous. I can hear a young Swedish girl shouting: "How dare you!". 

For the bees Steve should have built a hive and add some natural honey to his water fasts. ...

This is Trump mindset stuck in the 1950s. 

My heart has so much goodness that I did let the bees live unmolested for many years, and when they became a nuisance I called a specialist in removing bee hives, which cost me 500 dollars,  instead of just killing them.  He offered me some of their honey but I refused, since it is little more than sugar.

I wish there were a decline of mosquitoes.  If I don't take some action, I lose the use of my garden because I am susceptible to mosquito bites.  They don't need to bite humans, they do it for pleasure,  and so they are responsible for their extermination.

Fire ants are not dangerous but they can destroy a garden.  I didn't invite them, and I have the deed of property to the garden.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:29 AM, sgmaven said:

You forget that America is a land of immigrants,  and people KNOW about the world outside.  I am one of them.

Maybe you are thinking about the conservative republicans.  For them there is America, first, and "the rest of the world".  But this is no different in many other countries.  What does a Chinese peasant know about the world?

And the big reality is that everyone seems to butt their noses into America's business.  You are one of these, with your negative comments about the US.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:06 AM, Steve5380 said:

My heart has so much goodness that I did let the bees live unmolested for many years, and when they became a nuisance I called a specialist in removing bee hives, which cost me 500 dollars,  instead of just killing them.  He offered me some of their honey but I refused, since it is little more than sugar.

I wish there were a decline of mosquitoes.  If I don't take some action, I lose the use of my garden because I am susceptible to mosquito bites.  They don't need to bite humans, they do it for pleasure,  and so they are responsible for their extermination.

Fire ants are not dangerous but they can destroy a garden.  I didn't invite them, and I have the deed of property to the garden.

I didn't know the outskirts of Houston are still crocodile swamps... 

Lizards can do good jobs in mosquito decimation. 

Maybe you read some tips from NEA on how yo combat mosquito breeding... 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:25 AM, Steve5380 said:

That depends on where you go.  I have a friend in the gym who left for a trip to Nepal to do mountain climbing, and he made a scale in Bangkok.  He had to spend a week there in quarantine as soon as he arrived.  Very inconvenient.   With the vacation travel starting in the US,  airfare is at an all time high, hotels, car rental,  have little availability and high prices.  I have no urgency to travel, so I will wait until travel conditions improve. 

Steve is not going to travel any more. 

This is just daydreaming. 

Lately, he is always complaining about costs... 

I wonder he never bought a bicycle to do groceries and save on fuel. 

Ok, his weekly amount of lentils, he would need one of those hangers, you can fix to a bicycle like a caravan to cars...

On 5/9/2022 at 12:13 AM, Steve5380 said:

You forget that America is a land of immigrants,  and people KNOW about the world outside.  I am one of them.

Yes, the US is a country of immigrants, having decimated the indigenous population and leaving them in "reservations". However, many immigrants seem to have the skill of quickly forgetting their roots.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:13 AM, Steve5380 said:

And the big reality is that everyone seems to butt their noses into America's business.  You are one of these, with your negative comments about the US.

I think no one would bother about what the US does, if it weren't for the fact that it butts itself into the business of countries all over the world.

Слава Україні!

On 5/8/2022 at 1:46 PM, sgmaven said:

Yes, the US is a country of immigrants, having decimated the indigenous population and leaving them in "reservations". However, many immigrants seem to have the skill of quickly forgetting their roots.

I think no one would bother about what the US does, if it weren't for the fact that it butts itself into the business of countries all over the world.

America's indigenous population surely displaced other populations who were there before them.   Wherever you are from,  your population surely displaced other earlier populations. 

Also, YOU don't seem to be a "countries all over the world", yet YOU are butting yourself into the business of America.  so any reciprocity here is not valid.   

On 5/8/2022 at 12:06 PM, singalion said:

Steve is not going to travel any more. 

This is just daydreaming. 

Lately, he is always complaining about costs... 

I wonder he never bought a bicycle to do groceries and save on fuel. 

Ok, his weekly amount of lentils, he would need one of those hangers, you can fix to a bicycle like a caravan to cars...

I never complain about costs.  I have always the money to pay for what I want to buy.  To judge that a cost is high is not "complaining" about it.   Being frugal, I spend my money wisely,  but I have no problems spending it.

I will travel again when the conditions are what I want them to be.  And cost is not the only consideration.

In the meantime, I like to walk to the grocery stores nearby.  I do it for sports.  

But... why are you posting so much off topic?  

Maybe I will visit Taipei for its next Taiwan Gay Pride 2022.  I should do it while Taiwan is still a free country...

Edited by Steve5380

On 5/9/2022 at 3:29 AM, Steve5380 said:

Maybe I will visit Taipei for its next Taiwan Gay Pride 2022.  I should do it while Taiwan is still a free country...

Now, so pessimistic on your views on Taiwan...

Why shouldn't it be a free country?

The question would actually be: Is Taiwan a "country"?

On 5/8/2022 at 8:09 PM, singalion said:

Now, so pessimistic on your views on Taiwan...

Why shouldn't it be a free country?

The question would actually be: Is Taiwan a "country"?

For what I will do in Taiwan when I visit, it does not make any difference if it is a country or a territory.  And the main territory there I am interested in is one where the gay scene takes place.  I already have visited the Taipei 101,  although I would not mind returning there,  they had an excellent chocolate mousse...

On 5/8/2022 at 11:13 PM, Steve5380 said:

And you should know well that the vast majority of the immigrants are so happy in the "land of the free" that the majority actually know very little about the rest of the world. Most arrived in the USA a great many decades ago. Even their children and grandchildren have little understanding of the countries they parents and grandparents left. In fact many Americans are descendants of Irish, Russian Jewish, Italian and other immigrants who arrived in the late 19th and early 20th century.

A majority of Americans do not have a passport. Most Americans believe what their leaders tell them. So the Vietnam War was a war to protect democracy, even though it was in fact part of the now discredited "domino theory" and the USA through the CIA had been running South Vietnam for years through its assassination of the duly elected President. To learn more, I suggest you read Max Hasting's masterly history of that horrible War "Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy 1945-1975". As Hastings writes of the President the USA placed in Saigon -

"The new President was just 34 . . . a slick dandy who was publicly affable, fluent, enthusiastic about all things American apart from Coca Cola - and as remote as a Martian from the Vietnamese people!"

The pretext for declaring war on Vietnam was the Tonkin Incident. That was subsequently proved to be a lie!

The disaster of 9/11 was the pretext for invading Iraq. Americans believed it. Yet Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.

It's a fact that many people in every nation have a tendency to believe their leaders. America has frequently controlled the PR spin. Is that not rather like Putin is now doing in his country re the war Ukraine?

Edited by InBangkok

On 5/9/2022 at 2:29 AM, Steve5380 said:

Maybe I will visit Taipei for its next Taiwan Gay Pride 2022. 

I am glad your travels will commence again as I am sure many in this forum will be interested in your trip report. Posters in other chat rooms suggest that Taipei now has a very active gay scene, although how covid may have affected that i do not know.

For your diary, the Taipei Gay Pride Parade is scheduled  for Saturday 29 October. But I fear your chances of getting there before you turn 80 are limited. Many commentators and my friends in Taiwan suggest that the island is unlikely to open up for general tourism until December. Hopefully they will be wrong.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:50 AM, Steve5380 said:

For what I will do in Taiwan when I visit, it does not make any difference if it is a country or a territory.  And the main territory there I am interested in is one where the gay scene takes place.  I already have visited the Taipei 101,  although I would not mind returning there,  they had an excellent chocolate mousse...

As if Taiwan is the place to eat chocolate mousse. what happened to your no sugar policy?

Unless you were hinting to the dark tanned sugar boy, that cruised you 392 metres above sea level... on the viewing gallery of 101.

Poll confirms popular rejection of China's unification attempts in Taiwan

The survey found that 88.6 per cent approved of the government seeking closer cooperation with other democracies in order to safeguard peace in the Taiwan Strait

March 26, 2022

Amid the Russia-Ukraine crisis, a survey found that about 90 per cent of people rejected Beijing's continued claims that Taiwan was part of China.

"About 90 per cent rejected Beijing's continued claims that Taiwan was part of China and their efforts to limit the smaller country's international space and threaten it with military force", reported Taiwan News citing Radio Taiwan International (RTI).

The survey found that 88.6 per cent approved of the government seeking closer cooperation with other democracies in order to safeguard peace in the Taiwan Strait. More than 70 per cent also voiced support for legislative efforts to prevent high-level technology experts from being lured to jobs in China.

As per the opinion poll results, 74.6 per cent of Taiwanese judged China to be hostile towards Taiwan's government and 59.3 per cent said it also showed an unfriendly attitude towards the people of Taiwan.

While more than 80 per cent approved of the government's stance that the future of Taiwan and the development of relations with China should be subject to a decision by Taiwan's 23-million population.

Beijing claims full sovereignty over Taiwan, a democracy of almost 24 million people located off the southeastern coast of mainland China, despite the fact that the two sides have been governed separately for more than seven decades.

Taipei, on the other hand, has countered the Chinese aggression by increasing strategic ties with democracies including the US, which have been repeatedly opposed by Beijing.

Moreover, Taiwan has been extremely concerned about the situation in Hong Kong since Beijing passed the National Security Law in 2020. Hong Kong's vanishing democracy, freedom, and human rights prove that "one country, two systems" is a lie.

I think the big problem with many people, is that they use their own lenses of experience in their own country and culture to judge what other should do.

Is liberal democracy the correct path for every nation? May be not... If most of the population are uneducated and easily swayed by spin and propaganda, then it would lead to only the most charismatic person being elected, rather than the most qualified person for the job. Just look at what is happening in the West, where populist candidates have been threatening the traditional job share with their right-wing rhetoric. Many people are still gullible enough to be fooled.

Of course, I am not saying that an authoritarian police-state is the right way to go. However, I think that each country and people should choose their own path, rather than have these paths dictated or "fixed" by an external party (like the CIA).

Слава Україні!

On 5/8/2022 at 11:54 PM, singalion said:

As if Taiwan is the place to eat chocolate mousse. what happened to your no sugar policy?

Unless you were hinting to the dark tanned sugar boy, that cruised you 392 metres above sea level... on the viewing gallery of 101.

Oh, I simply had a meal at the restaurant up there on the building, with a spectacular view of Taipei and surroundings, and the chocolate mousse is what I clearly remember.  I have a selective memory for delicious food.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:52 AM, sgmaven said:

I think the big problem with many people, is that they use their own lenses of experience in their own country and culture to judge what other should do.

Is liberal democracy the correct path for every nation? May be not... If most of the population are uneducated and easily swayed by spin and propaganda, then it would lead to only the most charismatic person being elected, rather than the most qualified person for the job. Just look at what is happening in the West, where populist candidates have been threatening the traditional job share with their right-wing rhetoric. Many people are still gullible enough to be fooled.

Of course, I am not saying that an authoritarian police-state is the right way to go. However, I think that each country and people should choose their own path, rather than have these paths dictated or "fixed" by an external party (like the CIA).

This is not "a big problem of many people".  It is human nature.  We all judge the world from the lenses of our experiences.

I'll bet that you are doing the same right now while judging this "big problem of many people".  Since the moment we are pulled out of our mother's womb, our personality is shaped by our culture and more widely, our country.

But I agree with you that democracy has a big... a huge flaw:  the lack of a large fraction of the electorate of any capacity to be part of an electorate. 

One way of fixing democracy could be to expand the requirements to vote into the intellectual. And what should this be?  A certain level of education?  A certain age of maturity beyond just being an adult?  Should there be a "voter test"?

Another way to fix it would be to disqualify candidates who deceive and lie.  This would require an entity who passes such judgments.

Another way to fix it would be to force the winning candidates to follow up with their campaign promises. This is difficult because the promises are 'prophesies',  crystal ball glances, that may not be able to materialize in practice.

All this could be resolved by having an electorate that is a panel of voters who are experienced and intellectual jurists experts in law.   Oh....   this is exactly what a Supreme Court is!!!   And we in America now realize what an aberration a Supreme Court can become when politics, ambition, power, ideology permeates its members!    

On 5/9/2022 at 9:39 PM, Steve5380 said:

One way of fixing democracy could be to expand the requirements to vote into the intellectual. And what should this be?  A certain level of education?  A certain age of maturity beyond just being an adult?  Should there be a "voter test"?

Frankly, neither the level of educational attainment or the "certain age of maturity" can preclude people from being taken in by spin and propaganda. Also there are those who have never been to school, who are much more worldly-wise than the university professor. Voter tests can also be "fixed"...

Another way to fix it would be to disqualify candidates who deceive and lie.  This would require an entity who passes such judgments.

We know how that has gone in the US, with so many people in both houses continuing to lie and getting away with it. Even impeachments don't work, because people can plead "Freedom of Speech" and such.

Another way to fix it would be to force the winning candidates to follow up with their campaign promises. This is difficult because the promises are 'prophesies',  crystal ball glances, that may not be able to materialize in practice.

Tough one... Especially when someone promises to "Make America Great Again". How do you assess the achievement of "greatness"?

All this could be resolved by having an electorate that is a panel of voters who are experienced and intellectual jurists experts in law.   Oh....   this is exactly what a Supreme Court is!!!   And we in America now realize what an aberration a Supreme Court can become when politics, ambition, power, ideology permeates its members!   

Despite the supposed separation of the Legal branch of the state and the Executive and Legislative branches, we all know how it gets "fixed". Few Legal Branches of State are actually free from the manipulation of the Executive and Legislative branches.

Considering that the exact form of government is fraught with imperfections, it is clear that there is no one way that truly works. Yet, some countries tend to force others to take their form of government as the "sacred ideal". Some times, the very citizens are not prepared for that kind of freedom and responsibility. Do you still force it on them, and watch the country collapse like a House of Cards?

Слава Україні!

On 5/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, sgmaven said:

Considering that the exact form of government is fraught with imperfections, it is clear that there is no one way that truly works. Yet, some countries tend to force others to take their form of government as the "sacred ideal". Some times, the very citizens are not prepared for that kind of freedom and responsibility. Do you still force it on them, and watch the country collapse like a House of Cards?

You are right that any form of government is fought with imperfections, some more than others.  Yet this inclination to object to the situation  in other countries is not so much driven by their form of government but by their disrespect of human rights.

The US has tolerated many absolute governments, many religious governments, but the problem arises when such governments become abusive.  

On 5/9/2022 at 10:27 PM, Steve5380 said:

You are right that any form of government is fought with imperfections, some more than others.  Yet this inclination to object to the situation  in other countries is not so much driven by their form of government but by their disrespect of human rights.

The US has tolerated many absolute governments, many religious governments, but the problem arises when such governments become abusive.  

The US pays lip service to human rights only when it suits its foreign policy. Where was the concern for human rights when it backed the abusive murdering dictator Ferdinand Marcos? Where was the concern for human rights when it backed the murdering dictator Saddam Hussein with weapons and a great deal of cash during the war with Iran? Where was the concern for human rights when the CIA got rid of Iran's Prime Minister in 1953 when he and his government had been anything other than abusive? It was unfortunate or him that the USA did not approve of his policies - and so he had to go! Who was the abusive party there?

And where is the USA's concern for human rights with all the cluster bombs it dropped every 8 minutes for 9 long years during its secret and totally illegal war in Laos - bombs that made Laos the most bombed country in history and which still maim and kill civilians every year? Over 20,000 Laotians have been killed by those bombs (2 million tons of them) since the end of that illegal war! How much does the USA pay those civilian families in compensation and how much does it give to Laos to clean up the country of the armaments the USA illegally dropped? US$30 million a year for three years which ended last year! A pittance! So much for the USA's concern for the rights of those it continues to kill in tiny Laos.

On 5/9/2022 at 8:14 PM, Steve5380 said:

Oh, I simply had a meal at the restaurant up there on the building, with a spectacular view of Taipei and surroundings, and the chocolate mousse is what I clearly remember.  I have a selective memory for delicious food.

You first clearly remembered that 101 was in Seoul! Have you made another mistake I wonder? I ask only because the 2 or 3 restaurants at the observation deck level are very expensive Chinese restaurants serving only Chinese cuisine. An Italian restaurant mved up from the lower floor Mall but just a few years ago. With Chinese from the mainland forming the huge majority of Observation Deck visitors, Chinese restaurants are hardly surprising. You have told us you do not enjoy Chinese cuisine. And I have rarely if ever come across a Chinese restaurant that serves chocolate mousse as a dessert.

Whatever you actually ate it will have cost virtually an arm and a leg, what with the cost of the expensive high speed lifts and the exorbitant pricing in the restaurants at the top. Perhaps you enjoyed the view whilst savouring the remains of the chocolate mousse which you actually ate in one of the many restaurants at the basement and first five floor levels. 

On 5/9/2022 at 11:21 AM, InBangkok said:

You first clearly remembered that 101 was in Seoul! Have you made another mistake I wonder? I ask only because the 2 or 3 restaurants at the observation deck level are very expensive Chinese restaurants serving only Chinese cuisine. An Italian restaurant mved up from the lower floor Mall but just a few years ago. With Chinese from the mainland forming the huge majority of Observation Deck visitors, Chinese restaurants are hardly surprising. You have told us you do not enjoy Chinese cuisine. And I have rarely if ever come across a Chinese restaurant that serves chocolate mousse as a dessert.

Whatever you actually ate it will have cost virtually an arm and a leg, what with the cost of the expensive high speed lifts and the exorbitant pricing in the restaurants at the top. Perhaps you enjoyed the view whilst savouring the remains of the chocolate mousse which you actually ate in one of the many restaurants at the basement and first five floor levels. 

Blah, blah, blah,...  What I ate at Taipei 101 and its restaurants and cuisines is completely off topic.  

On 5/9/2022 at 11:27 PM, Steve5380 said:

You should say that the US has tolerated absolutist governments when it is convenient for them to. Take the likes of Saudi Arabia, where human rights are violated regularly, most exemplified by the murder of Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi embassy in Turkey.

Слава Україні!

On 5/9/2022 at 1:19 PM, sgmaven said:

You should say that the US has tolerated absolutist governments when it is convenient for them to. Take the likes of Saudi Arabia, where human rights are violated regularly, most exemplified by the murder of Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi embassy in Turkey.

What has Singapore said about the human rights violations of Saudi Arabia?

On 5/10/2022 at 2:27 AM, Steve5380 said:

What has Singapore said about the human rights violations of Saudi Arabia?

Did I ever say that Singapore was "the beacon of morals and what is right"? That is the point I am driving. I am not attacking the US. I am merely stating that each country follows its own chosen path, based on what is convenient and beneficial. It is seldom about morality, but what fattens the wallet. So get off your moral high horse about the US. It definitely is just playing things for its own benefit.

Слава Україні!

On 5/9/2022 at 1:31 PM, sgmaven said:

Did I ever say that Singapore was "the beacon of morals and what is right"? That is the point I am driving. I am not attacking the US. I am merely stating that each country follows its own chosen path, based on what is convenient and beneficial. It is seldom about morality, but what fattens the wallet. So get off your moral high horse about the US. It definitely is just playing things for its own benefit.

What is someone doing here posting on BW  at 2:45 in the morning?  What is so important here that overrides good sleep?

I am not a person who rides high horses.  But I happen to be an American citizen,  have lived most of my life in the US, which has provided me with a very satisfactory life,  and I owe my land to come out in its defense. 

Guest Taiwanese

Leave Taiwan alone.  Who said we Taiwanese hate China, it is not true.  We are brothers with blood ties.  China bring investors to our land, created good jobs.  They love our people, and we love them too.  All these survey about Taiwanese wanting independence is not only not true, it is not possible.  China, is our mother. 

On 5/10/2022 at 1:50 AM, Steve5380 said:

What is someone doing here posting on BW  at 2:45 in the morning?  What is so important here that overrides good sleep?

That is another total irrelevancy. I so not know who @sgmaven is or where he is based. As for me, i am a writer and frequently work till dawn as that is a time when I know I will not be disturbed. Having a look at other internet sites is perfectly natural, just as getting up to make coffee is. We are not all old men like you who need a regular 8 hours sleep every night!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.