Male HQ

Taiwan, one of the unresolved issues in East Asia...

singalion

Guest Irrational
On 5/30/2022 at 1:57 AM, Steve5380 said:

Please don't put me at the same level as this disruptor of threads. 

You are not disruptor, you are irrational like most Americans.  The Texas shooting is one.  Provoking China and sending military aid to Ukraine is quite another.  Amber Heard winning the case in UK, and probably in America will support the irrationality of the West. 

On 5/30/2022 at 12:57 AM, Steve5380 said:

I have been commenting about Taiwan all the time.

You have made one comment about Taiwan which you have repeated over and over again ad nauseam. You have never responded to the historical analysis and other points made by other posters (certainly not only me). So suggesting that you have been commenting about Taiwan all the time is just ridiculous. Make reasonable responses - and give up the nonsense about eating delicious chocolate mousse at the top of Taipei 101. That disrupts threads!

On 5/29/2022 at 7:15 PM, Guest Irrational said:

You are not disruptor, you are irrational like most Americans.  The Texas shooting is one.  Provoking China and sending military aid to Ukraine is quite another.  Amber Heard winning the case in UK, and probably in America will support the irrationality of the West. 

I agree with you that the shooting in Uvalde, Texas was completely irrational.  Not only the shooter, but also the actions of the Uvalde police and the politics that prevent a reasonable solution of this type of massacres.  

And I disagree about "provoking" China over Taiwan.   Poor China... it is being provoked by bad US!...  I thought that it is China provoking Taiwan.   And the West sending military aid to Ukraine?  What a nerve!  Maybe it should rather let Russia invade and do criminal genocide in any nation it pleases. 

On 5/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, Steve5380 said:

I thought that it is China provoking Taiwan.  

Let's clear your thought, once and for all.  America has been pulling the military string, behind Taiwan, which then provoked China to retaliate against Taiwan  Hope you finally see the complete, unbiased picture. You cannot just pick and choose to suit your biased view.

Edited by Why?

On 5/30/2022 at 1:57 AM, Steve5380 said:

Please don't put me at the same level as this disruptor of threads.  I have been commenting about Taiwan all the time.  He has been beating chocolate mousse to the point of becoming a solid block, then tried to hit my head with it.

But you drag it all on with your ample replies.

From chocolate mousse beatings you won't even get a bruise.

Try to get back to the topic.

I know I might be guilty too on times, but your posts offers too many assists for comedian responses.

Nobody really bothers if you ate a chocolate mousse at the basement food court of Taipeh 101 for 2 Taiwan Dollars, or got your dick sucked in Seoul and whether you had 2600 sex partners in one year...

You just don't need to entertain if posters go off topic...

Edited by singalion

US Plans Economic Talks With Taiwan in Latest Challenge to China

• Taiwan wasn’t included in Biden’s new regional initiative
  • Bilateral economic talks to be announced in the coming weeks

27 May 2022, 08:27 GMT+8

The US and Taiwan are planning to announce negotiations to deepen economic ties, people familiar with the matter said, in a fresh challenge to Beijing, which has cautioned Washington on its relationship with the island.

The talks would focus on enhancing economic cooperation and supply-chain resiliency, falling short of a traditional free-trade agreement, according to the people. The deal is likely to include areas of trade facilitation, supply-chain work and trade in agricultural products, they said, speaking on condition of anonymity ahead of a public announcement.

Those elements are similar to the pillars in the 13-member Indo-Pacific Economic Framework that President Joe Biden announced during his visit to Tokyo this week. While a bipartisan group of lawmakers wanted Taiwan in that group, it was excluded because some countries that agreed to join refused to have Taipei included over fear of retribution from Beijing, according to people familiar with the process. 

US President Joe Biden Meets Japan's Prime Minister Fumio Kishida
Joe Biden speaks during a news conference in Tokyo on May 23.
Photographer: Nicolas Datiches/Sipa/Bloomberg

The talks are an effort to elevate the US-Taiwan economic relationship, the people said, and will go beyond existing discussions under a Trade and Investment Framework Agreement between the two governments. 

Biden earlier this week made a public pledge to militarily support Taiwan in the event of a Chinese invasion, before he and White House officials walked the comments back. China denounced the president’s remarks, and has protested Washington’s deepening official bilateral engagement with Taiwan, which it regards as part of its territory despite never controlling it. 

Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Thursday reiterated that US policy toward Taiwan hasn’t changed and that the US doesn’t support Taiwan independence. Still, the US and Taiwan have a “strong unofficial relationship,” he said in a long-awaited speech on the Biden administration’s policy toward China.

Secretary of State Blinken Delivers Remarks On China Policy
Antony Blinken on May 26.
Photographer: Eric Lee/Bloomberg

A USTR spokesman declined to comment on the plans for talks on deepening bilateral economic engagement. A spokesperson for Taiwan’s economic and cultural office in Washington didn’t respond to a request for comment.

US Trade Representative Katherine Tai told Bloomberg TV this week that she and her Taiwanese counterpart, John Deng, had “very positive conversations” when they recently met in Bangkok.

“We are committed to deepening and enhancing the bilateral trade and economic relationship and we instructed our teams to work over the course of the next couple of weeks on that deepening and enhancement,” she said.

The two agreed to meet again in the coming weeks to discuss the path forward, the USTR said in a readout. A large Taiwanese government and business delegation is expected to attend the SelectUSA Investment Summit outside Washington in late June, giving both sides another chance to meet face-to-face.

Chips Issue

US officials have stressed that the reliance on Taiwan for semiconductors in particular is a geopolitical strategic problem and have pushed for a subsidy program that incentivizes domestic manufacturing of chips. That initiative is part of broader legislation that could pass later this year.

Taiwan for years has been pushing the US to negotiate a trade agreement, but American officials have stressed that roadblocks in Taiwan’s economic practices, including on agriculture, would need to be resolved as a prerequisite for any negotiations to take place.

The Trump administration, in particular, was hesitant to engage with Taiwan economically while it was negotiating its phase-one trade deal with Beijing, people familiar with the deliberations said at the time said.

Note this is an Opinion and Guest Essay

Guest Essay

Biden Says We’ve Got Taiwan’s Back. But Do We?

May 27, 2022

President Biden’s recent trip to Asia nearly went off without a hitch — until Taiwan came up. Mr. Biden was asked whether the United States would respond “militarily” if China sought to retake the self-ruled island by force.

“Yes,” he said. “That’s the commitment we made.”

25mastro-image-V3-articleLarge.jpg?quali

It was one of the most explicit U.S. defense guarantees for Taiwan in decades, appearing to depart from a longtime policy of “strategic ambiguity.” But it’s far from certain that the United States could hold off China.

I have been involved in dozens of war games and tabletop exercises to see how a conflict would turn out. Simply put, the United States is outgunned. At the very least, a confrontation with China would be an enormous drain on the U.S. military without any assured outcome that America could repel all of China’s forces. Mr. Biden’s comments may be aimed at deterring a Chinese attack, and hopefully they will.

After a decades-long military modernization, China has the world’s largest navy and the United States could throw far fewer ships into a Taiwan conflict. China’s missile force is also thought to be capable of targeting ships at sea to neutralize the main U.S. tool of power projection, aircraft carriers.

The United States has the most advanced fighter jets in the world but access to just two U.S. air bases within unrefueled combat radius of the Taiwan Strait, both in Japan, compared with China’s 39 air bases within 500 miles of Taipei.

If China’s leaders decide they need to recover Taiwan and are convinced that the United States would respond, they may see no other option but a pre-emptive strike on U.S. forces in the region. Chinese missiles could take out key American bases in Japan, and U.S. aircraft carriers could face Chinese “carrier killer” missiles. In this scenario, superior U.S. training and experience would matter little.

The need to project power across vast distances also makes U.S. forces vulnerable to China’s electronic and cyberwarfare capability. China could disrupt networks like the United States Transportation Command, which moves American assets around and is considered vulnerable to cyberattacks. China may also have the ability to damage satellites and disrupt communications, navigation, targeting, intelligence-gathering, or command and control. Operating from home turf, China could use more-secure systems like fiber-optic cables for its own networks.

Under a best-case battle scenario for the United States, China would attack only Taiwan and refrain from hitting American forces to avoid drawing in U.S. military might. This would allow the United States time to bring its forces into the region, move others to safety and pick where and when it engages with China.

If the United States did ever intervene, it would need regional allies to provide runways, ports and supply depots. But those partners may be eager to stay out of the crossfire.

I’m not the only one who’s worried. A 2018 congressionally mandated assessment warned that America could face a “decisive military defeat” in a war over Taiwan, citing China’s increasingly advanced capabilities and myriad U.S. logistical difficulties. Several top former U.S. defense officials have reached similar conclusions.

Mr. Biden’s remarks were made in the context of Ukraine, and America’s failure to prevent that war may be driving his thinking on Taiwan. Mr. Biden may be calculating that Russia’s setbacks in Ukraine will give China pause and that guaranteed U.S. intervention in a conflict over Taiwan would cost Beijing too much, even if it took the island.

But comparing Ukraine and Taiwan is problematic. Beijing views Taiwan — self-ruled since 1949 — as an integral part of Chinese territory since ancient times, a significantly deeper attachment than Vladimir Putin’s obsession with Ukraine. Reunifying the island with the mainland is one of the Chinese Communist Party’s most cherished goals, and China would see U.S. intervention as a bitter betrayal of the “one China” principle — the idea that China and Taiwan belong together, which Washington has acknowledged since the 1970s.

China’s military is bigger and more formidable than Russia’s, and its economy far larger, more resilient and globally integrated. Rallying support for economic sanctions against Beijing during a conflict — China is the biggest trading partner of many countries — would be more challenging than isolating Russia.

The White House is once again walking back Mr. Biden’s comments, saying official policy has not changed.

If so, then Mr. Biden should stop rocking the boat and focus instead on strengthening America’s position in the Taiwan theater. This doesn’t just mean more weapons for Taiwan and a more robust U.S. military presence in the region, though the former would help the island hold out if China attacked, and both would boost deterrence.

It also means shrewd diplomacy. Mr. Biden needs to stand firm against Chinese intimidation of Taiwan, while working to ease Beijing’s anxieties by demonstrating a stronger U.S. commitment to a peaceful resolution of the Taiwan issue. Mr. Biden should also persuade regional friends to provide more bases for the United States to use. This not only increases U.S. operational flexibility but also heightens deterrence.

Whatever Mr. Biden’s calculations, departing from the “strategic ambiguity” that has helped keep peace for decades misses the point. The main question for President Xi Jinping must be not whether the United States would join in, but whether China could beat the United States in a battle for Taiwan. Twenty years ago, China’s poorly trained army and largely obsolete naval and air forces had no chance. But that was then.

Many will applaud Mr. Biden for standing up for democratic Taiwan in the face of Chinese threats. But he could be putting the island in greater danger, and the United States may not be able to come to the rescue.

By Oriana Skylar Mastro

Ms. Mastro is an expert on China’s military and security policy.

Oriana Skylar Mastro (@osmastro) is a center fellow at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies at Stanford University and a nonresident senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute.

The Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the editor.

A version of this article appears in print on May 29, 2022, Section SR, Page 2 of the New York edition with the headline: Defending Taiwan Would Be a Mistake

On 5/30/2022 at 1:52 AM, singalion said:

I know I might be guilty too on times, but your posts offers too many assists for comedian responses.

I hereby absolve you of the sins that make you feel guilty, my child. And I am glad to see that what you find in all this, is COMEDY.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:39 PM, Steve5380 said:

I hereby absolve you of the sins that make you feel guilty, my child. And I am glad to see that what you find in all this, is COMEDY.

I did not say this is a comedy. Actually, Steve it is a tragedy that you cannot simply sincerely apologise to someone you have hurt.

You have to blame yourself , why you ended up in this state.

What I meant is that your both replies are often so funny that I can only take a humorist approach towards them... 

On 5/30/2022 at 8:11 AM, singalion said:

What I meant is that your both replies are often so funny that I can only take a humorist approach towards them... 

See ???  You took my reply as something with humor,  without me having to poste emojis or, "ha ha", or whatever.  Why cannot he identify humor?  Is it because his mind is all dark inside?   I hope it is not...

On 5/31/2022 at 1:56 AM, Steve5380 said:

See ???  You took my reply as something with humor,  without me having to poste emojis or, "ha ha", or whatever.  Why cannot he identify humor?  Is it because his mind is all dark inside?   I hope it is not...

What @Steve5380 totally fails to understand is that while white Americans may be able to identify with his particular brand of American humour, it is totally baffling and totally lacking in humour for others - especially those as in Asia for whom English is not their first language. When he is not trying to justify something he wrote that is not justifiable, he just assumes that everyone reading this Board must understand his curious American English. At his age he will never realise that he is wrong!

On 5/30/2022 at 11:06 PM, InBangkok said:

What @Steve5380 totally fails to understand is that while white Americans may be able to identify with his particular brand of American humour, it is totally baffling and totally lacking in humour for others - especially those as in Asia for whom English is not their first language. When he is not trying to justify something he wrote that is not justifiable, he just assumes that everyone reading this Board must understand his curious American English. At his age he will never realise that he is wrong!

My age keeps me perfectly fine, thank you.  Significantly more experienced than you. 

If I write that I want to eat pizza during an opera performance, a young Asian gay may think that I am serious and agree with me.  The same if I write that there are things in common between a gay sauna and an opera performance, and that I have had more than 2000 sex partners,  he may think that this makes sense.  He sees nothing wrong, and there is nothing wrong that he sees it this way, missing the jest, the humor.

But that you, an older White man who should be experienced fails to see the jest in my posts, this is unexpected, and it points to a lack of sense of humor.  Sorry... that is how it appears.

And if I write that you like to go to gay saunas,  any young Asian gay will think:  "but of course, isn't he gay too?"  But that you, an older experienced man would react to my observation like someone has stuck a knife in your heart, is complete nuts.  I felt sorry for you and I apologized at the time.  If I did hurt you so badly, this was not my intention and I apologize again. 

There is nothing wrong with my "curious American English".  I have always good communication with other English speaking people.   At the time I visited Taipei,  everybody understood me well, being at the Taipei 101 or at the gay saunas there.   I didn't have to live in Asia for 50 years for my English to be understood well.

On 6/1/2022 at 8:03 AM, Steve5380 said:

If I write that I want to eat pizza during an opera performance, a young Asian gay may think that I am serious and agree with me.  The same if I write that there are things in common between a gay sauna and an opera performance, and that I have had more than 2000 sex partners,  he may think that this makes sense.  He sees nothing wrong, and there is nothing wrong that he sees it this way, missing the jest, the humor.

But that you, an older White man who should be experienced fails to see the jest in my posts, this is unexpected, and it points to a lack of sense of humor.  Sorry... that is how it appears.

And if I write that you like to go to gay saunas,  any young Asian gay will think:  "but of course, isn't he gay too?"  But that you, an older experienced man would react to my observation like someone has stuck a knife in your heart, is complete nuts.  I felt sorry for you and I apologized at the time.  If I did hurt you so badly, this was not my intention and I apologize again. 

There is nothing wrong with my "curious American English".  I have always good communication with other English speaking people.   At the time I visited Taipei,  everybody understood me well, being at the Taipei 101 or at the gay saunas there.   I didn't have to live in Asia for 50 years for my English to be understood well.

That is a total re-writing of the history of your posts on various topics. Which is no surprise at all because it is yet more of your childish nonsense. Going over it all again shows just how boring you are and how desperate you are to cover up the idiocy of some of the things you write about.

As to your suggestion that everyone reading your posts has the ability to understand precisely what you are writing and how you THINK they may be understood is just rubbish! This is not a chat room based in America or England. Better you find one there that will accept your contributions so that readers can more accurately divine your less than obvious intentions.

I will NEVER accept any apology from any poster after he has had the gall to call me "nuts". And when will you accept the fact that when you write about visiting a non-existent 101 in Seoul, when you talk about your mountaineer 'friend' visiting Burma to climb the Himalayas when that story was so full of such obvious holes it was probably totally made up, and about eating delicious chocolate mousse on the observation deck in Taipei (story changed again!) and when there was no way to obtain chocolate mousse at that level, your attempts to cover up your glaringly obvious mistakes just make what you thereafter write seem pathetic?

When you suggest that readers can see into your mind, is there no part of that mind which understands how ridiculous this is? Do not write glaringly obvious errors. And realise that the more you make those mistakes the more likely it is they will come back to continue haunting you. So tuck into a nice delicious chocolate mousse, then follow it with 5 days of water fasting - and just get over it!

And get back to the topic of Taiwan. Are we getting closer to some form of conflict? Yesterday Taiwan sent up war planes to buzz those that China had sent into its airspace. The chances of some pilot pressing the wrong button must be a concern for everyone.

Edited by InBangkok

On 5/31/2022 at 10:35 PM, InBangkok said:

That is a total re-writing of the history of your posts on various topics. Which is no surprise at all because it is yet more of your childish nonsense. Going over it all again shows just how boring you are and how desperate you are to cover up the idiocy of some of the things you write about.

LOL! LOL! LOL!   So I go over it all again... and not YOU ???

You must be really nuts if you don't recognize that you are dragging out those old posts of mine ALL THE TIME  like they have been fire burned into your brain and you cannot move them out of your consciousness.  I have nearly forgotten all this stuff and the arguing we have had,  because I have a healthy mind that does not dwell in conflicts of the past.  But you bring out these ancient issues all the time, in all the threads where you troll me.  

If you want me to stop go over it all again,  then please YOU stop going over it all again,  and stop your idiotic posts criticizing me.  I promise not to mention ever again the "pizza in the opera house",  the "opera performances equal to gay saunas",  your "enjoyment of gay saunas", if you don't bring them up again.

And please stick to the topic of Taiwan here. 

On 6/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, Steve5380 said:

please stick to the topic of Taiwan here. 

Hahaha! All that rambling in your post is so ridiculous when everything started with you and your nonsense posts!

As for Taiwan, it would certainly help if you gave more informed views on Taiwan rather than trashing one poster's very detailed historical time line with "Blah ... blah ... blah" and mentioning your stupid chocolate mousse!

On 5/31/2022 at 11:11 PM, InBangkok said:

Hahaha! All that rambling in your post is so ridiculous when everything started with you and your nonsense posts!

As for Taiwan, it would certainly help if you gave more informed views on Taiwan rather than trashing one poster's very detailed historical time line with "Blah ... blah ... blah" and mentioning your stupid chocolate mousse!

Hahaha!  Taiwan is such an interesting country full of interesting and cute people,  and all you can do in this thread ( and many others) is post about ME!  It seems that I am your IDOL!

On 6/1/2022 at 9:03 AM, Steve5380 said:

There is nothing wrong with my "curious American English".  I have always good communication with other English speaking people.   At the time I visited Taipei,  everybody understood me well, being at the Taipei 101 or at the gay saunas there. 

What expansive and elaborate communication did you have at the gay saunas in Taiwan?

Was there any sauna in Taiwan that had a theater hall to hold political speeches or let an older boy with an American accent named Stevie FiftythreeEighty doing some dirty talk channeled to the loudspeakers of the sauna dream all the guys of being part of a Bel Ami porn shooting?

Maybe we should ask the Moderators to open another new thread for you Steve and name it:

The memoirs of an American octogenarian, sexcapades, sauna talk and life experiences...

Edited by singalion

On 6/1/2022 at 11:35 AM, InBangkok said:

Are we getting closer to some form of conflict? Yesterday Taiwan sent up war planes to buzz those that China had sent into its airspace. The chances of some pilot pressing the wrong button must be a concern for everyone.

But China has been violating the air zone of Taiwan for years already...

On 6/1/2022 at 8:43 AM, singalion said:

What expansive and elaborate communication did you have at the gay saunas in Taiwan?

There is no better expansive and elaborate communication than making love.  And I make love in English, Spanish, German.

Just 3 weeks ago:

China makes second largest incursion into Taiwan air defence zone

Eighteen aircraft, including fighters and bombers, entered Taiwan’s air defence zone, prompting the scrambling of jets.

6 May 2022

China sent 18 warplanes, including fighters and bombers, into Taiwan’s air defence zone, prompting the island’s air force to scramble jets in response to the second-largest incursion so far this year.

Yesterday:

China sends 30 warplanes into Taiwan air defence zone

Taiwan says it deployed fighter jets to warn off 30 warplanes sent by China into its air defence zone.

China sends 30 planes into Taiwan air defence zone

The US has accused China of ratcheting up tensions across the strait with ‘provocative’ incursions.

31 May 2022

China has made its second-largest incursion into Taiwan’s air defence zone this year, as Taipei signalled it planned to deepen security ties with the United States.

Taiwan’s defence ministry said that 30 Chinese military aircraft, two-thirds of them fighter jets, entered the southwestern part of its air defence identification zone (ADIZ) on Monday and that it had scrambled its own air force and deployed air defence missile systems in response.

But The  Guardian said already in Jan 2022 it was the biggest...

China sends largest incursion of warplanes into Taiwan defence zone since October

Mon 24 Jan 2022

In recent years the People’s Liberation Army has ratcheted up its missions, which it says are training drills, to near-daily frequency

China’s air force flew 39 warplanes into Taiwan’s air defence identification zone on Sunday, the largest daily number since record-breaking incursions in October.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:11 PM, InBangkok said:

What better proof that this poster is a bitter old man?  For him,  delicious chocolate mousse is "stupid".

On 6/1/2022 at 8:55 AM, singalion said:

Just 3 weeks ago:

China makes second largest incursion into Taiwan air defence zone

Eighteen aircraft, including fighters and bombers, entered Taiwan’s air defence zone, prompting the scrambling of jets.

6 May 2022

China sent 18 warplanes, including fighters and bombers, into Taiwan’s air defence zone, prompting the island’s air force to scramble jets in response to the second-largest incursion so far this year.

Yesterday:

China sends 30 warplanes into Taiwan air defence zone

Taiwan says it deployed fighter jets to warn off 30 warplanes sent by China into its air defence zone.

There could be a simple solution to this:

In exchange for buying tons of semiconductors from Taiwan,  the US could sell to Taiwan several dozen of its latest and greatest ground-to-air defensive systems.  The new laser guns, able to shoot down Chinese cruise missiles, drones and warplanes which, no matter how fast they are,  are no match for the laser beam traveling at the speed of light.

On 6/1/2022 at 8:43 PM, singalion said:

So far @Steve5380 has never written about any experience he had in any Taipei sauna! He has mentioned Aniki but only to state that he would perhaps visit it when he travels to Asia again. But Aniki died more than a year ago.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:48 AM, Steve5380 said:

the US could sell to Taiwan several dozen of its latest and greatest ground-to-air defensive systems.  The new laser guns, able to shoot down Chinese cruise missiles, drones and warplanes which, no matter how fast they are,  are no match for the laser beam traveling at the speed of light.

As if that would have any result in the outcome!  It might give China a bloody nose, but every American politician and civil servant is perfectly well aware that if it ever came to war, Taiwan could never win against mainland China. I believe it would remain a disaster for China, but it could take Taiwan with relative ease.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:00 AM, InBangkok said:

I believe it would remain a disaster for China, but it could take Taiwan with relative ease.

You think like Putin.  He also thought that it would be relatively easy to take Ukraine.

Guest Easy
On 6/2/2022 at 10:12 PM, Steve5380 said:

You think like Putin.  He also thought that it would be relatively easy to take Ukraine.

He is considered relatively successful as compared to America taking Iraq that took years.  Ukraine terrain is uneven as compared to Iraq. 

Guest Great White Shark
On 6/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, InBangkok said:

, Taiwan could never win against mainland China. I t it could take Taiwan with relative ease.

I predict within a month or lesser.  America will not have enough time to prepare.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:39 AM, Guest Great White Shark said:

I predict within a month or lesser.  America will not have enough time to prepare.

Will see...  Oh Great White Prophet.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:55 PM, InBangkok said:

So far @Steve5380 has never written about any experience he had in any Taipei sauna! He has mentioned Aniki but only to state that he would perhaps visit it when he travels to Asia again. But Aniki died more than a year ago.

This is so ridiculous and absurd!   The member who nearly had a heart attack and precipitously left BW in a Big Tantrum, all because I wrote that he enjoys gay saunas...   ...   ...  now he is so curious about MY experience in gay saunas !!!  Completely weird!   Is he a mental peeping tom?   

On 6/2/2022 at 11:55 PM, Steve5380 said:

The member who nearly had a heart attack and precipitously left BW in a Big Tantrum, all because I wrote that he enjoys gay saunas...   ...   ...  now he is so curious about MY experience in gay saunas !!!  Completely weird!   Is he a mental peeping tom?   

Your insults just get increasingly pathetic. It's like you have some form of congenital disease that will not allow you to accept the truth. Well, I am about to write about that in a more appropriate forum. In the meantime, you once again do completely fail to answer questions. Where did you find chocolate mousse on the observation deck of Taipei 101? Your lack of response every time this comes up indicates that almost certainly you did not.

Secondly you have talked at great length about the gay saunas in so many posts about the gay saunas you have visited in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and even what you call a sauna in Seoul. You are the one who first mentioned Aniki in Taipei - I certainly did not. You were not even aware it had closed. But you never mentioned you had been there before - you only wrote very recently you wIll be going there after attending the Taipei Gay Pride Parade. So why so much detail about the saunas you love to visit in other Asian cities - but nothing whatever about Taipei? Probably you were never there. And as you must be perfectly well aware you are the master of assumptions.

On 6/2/2022 at 11:55 PM, Steve5380 said:

Will see...  Oh Great White Prophet.

Another total non-answer. And absolutely no reasoning behind it. Just the great panjandrum making stupid statements again.

Edited by InBangkok

On 6/3/2022 at 12:31 AM, InBangkok said:

Your insults just get increasingly pathetic. It's like you have some form of congenital disease that will not allow you to accept the truth. Well, I am about to write about that in a more appropriate forum. In the meantime, you once again do completely fail to answer questions. Where did you find chocolate mousse on the observation deck of Taipei 101? Your lack of response every time this comes up indicates that almost certainly you did not.

Secondly you have talked at great length about the gay saunas in so many posts about the gay saunas you have visited in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and even what you call a sauna in Seoul. You are the one who first mentioned Aniki in Taipei - I certainly did not. You were not even aware it had closed. But you never mentioned you had been there before - you only wrote very recently you wIll be going there after attending the Taipei Gay Pride Parade. So why so much detail about the saunas you love to visit in other Asian cities - but nothing whatever about Taipei? Probably you were never there. And as you must be perfectly well aware you are the master of assumptions.

Another total non-answer. And absolutely no reasoning behind it. Just the great panjandrum making stupid statements again.

He has this obsession and desperation to know about my chocolate mousse and gay saunas.  Why is he so nosey?  Could a shrink help him with controlling this obsession,  and care more for his own business?

This older senior must be retired, although he does not admit it.  Otherwise, how does he spend all his time trying to know every detail about me?   He says that he writes.  So maybe I could hire him to write my biography.  But for this he needs to stop his malice.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:26 PM, Steve5380 said:

He has this obsession and desperation to know about my chocolate mousse and gay saunas.  Why is he so nosey?  Could a shrink help him with controlling this obsession,  and care more for his own business?

Nosey? Well, that's a new one! After all, WHO introduced chocolate mousse into this thread? YOU DID! And WHO brought up Aniki gay sauna in this thread? YOU DID!

I write because you have made specific statements about a visit to Taipei - and none of it makes any kind of sense. You have been asked by more than one poster to explain, and refuse to do so. Therefore serious doubt exists about whether you have actually been to Taipei and how true your statement can be about eating a "delicious chocolate mousse" on the observation deck of Taipei 101 - an act that is all but impossible without visiting an expensive Chinese restaurant (which you have stated you never do) - a restaurant which would in any case not serve chocolate mousse? If you merely provided details, there would be no further discussion.

The point? If you make inaccurate statements like this, how are members to know how true or otherwise your other voluminous posts are? 

On 6/2/2022 at 9:12 PM, Steve5380 said:

And your knowledge of Chinese history, past and present, enables you to equate Putin and Xi? That is patently ridiculous. And equating the Russian/Ukraine situation with China/Taiwan is childish in the extreme.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:46 AM, InBangkok said:

Nosey? Well, that's a new one! After all, WHO introduced chocolate mousse into this thread? YOU DID! And WHO brought up Aniki gay sauna in this thread? YOU DID!

I write because you have made specific statements about a visit to Taipei - and none of it makes any kind of sense. You have been asked by more than one poster to explain, and refuse to do so. Therefore serious doubt exists about whether you have actually been to Taipei and how true your statement can be about eating a "delicious chocolate mousse" on the observation deck of Taipei 101 - an act that is all but impossible without visiting an expensive Chinese restaurant (which you have stated you never do) - a restaurant which would in any case not serve chocolate mousse? If you merely provided details, there would be no further discussion.

The point? If you make inaccurate statements like this, how are members to know how true or otherwise your other voluminous posts are? 

And your knowledge of Chinese history, past and present, enables you to equate Putin and Xi? That is patently ridiculous. And equating the Russian/Ukraine situation with China/Taiwan is childish in the extreme.

A one liner in a post of mine  you have consistently brought out because you are sure that I could not have eaten what I said I ate there.  How can you know?  You were not there, and if I did or not is unimportant.  But not for you, who want to find me at fault.  What if I had a cup of chocolate mousse with me that I bought somewhere else?  What if I made a mistake and I ate it at a different high rise?  You don't make mistakes?  Your posts like this have a single purpose:  constantly attack me. 

And I didn't equate Putin with Xi.  This is your LIE.  What I wrote is:  "YOU think like Putin".  Your lie is for everyone to see.

On 6/4/2022 at 1:22 AM, Steve5380 said:

A one liner in a post of mine  you have consistently brought out because you are sure that I could not have eaten what I said I ate there . . . What if I made a mistake and I ate it at a different high rise?

Aha! So the truth eventually comes out. You didn't enjoy that "delicious chocolate mousse" at the observation deck of Taipei 101. It was just another figment of your imagination as we have known all along. The problem with such seemingly simple lies is that they cast doubt on everything else a poster writes. From a review of your posts since that chocolate mousse miraculously appeared, it is highly unlikely that you were ever in Taipei.

If in fact you were, I wonder in what other high rise you might have allegedly consumed that chocolate mousse. Like Seoul, where you first alleged you visited 101, did Taipei really have any other high rise building? Doubts and inaccuracies @Steve5380 lead to further doubts and inaccuracies. You are so predictable!

As for the political/military situation between China and Taiwan, you have still refused to give any reason for your imaginings about Taiwan independence. You trashed my long review of the historical reasons for the present situation with "blah ... blah ... blah!" All that achieved was to inform all readers how little you actually know.

Guest I know

China should send at least 12 submarines, 2 dozens Navy, and 100 fighter jets into Taiwan air defense zone.  Let's see what America can do.  

Absolutely nothing. 

On 6/4/2022 at 12:41 PM, Guest I know said:

China should send at least 12 submarines, 2 dozens Navy, and 100 fighter jets into Taiwan air defense zone.  Let's see what America can do.  

Absolutely nothing. 

I do not know how much force would be necessary, but certainly China has the military might to take over Taiwan extremely quickly and the US could do nothing about it.

There has been an interesting programme on BBC News today when the Corporation's much admired John Simpson interviewed a well-known Beijing watcher (sorry, I did not catch his name). He suggested that under the surface there is quite a lot going on in the political hierarchy in Beijing, much of it against President Xi's policies, particularly in three areas.

1. As I have stated in an earlier post, there is extreme concern about his very strict anti-covid policy and the public backlash which has resulted.

2. His crackdown against the private sector.

3. His policy towards Russia. It is known that the rhetoric about the Ukraine war being the fault of NATO has been eased back in recent weeks. It is also known that the Minister in charge of affairs with Russia was suddenly and very recently relieved of his position.

It was also suggested that the Taiwan position will not be as major a point in the near future as it has in recent months.

No one knows how all this will be played out in the coming months. But Xi faces re-election later this year. Until recently, this was a certainty. Now there seems to be at least a degree of doubt.

On 6/4/2022 at 12:23 AM, InBangkok said:

Aha! So the truth eventually comes out. You didn't enjoy that "delicious chocolate mousse" at the observation deck of Taipei 101. It was just another figment of your imagination as we have known all along. The problem with such seemingly simple lies is that they cast doubt on everything else a poster writes. From a review of your posts since that chocolate mousse miraculously appeared, it is highly unlikely that you were ever in Taipei.

If in fact you were, I wonder in what other high rise you might have allegedly consumed that chocolate mousse. Like Seoul, where you first alleged you visited 101, did Taipei really have any other high rise building? Doubts and inaccuracies @Steve5380 lead to further doubts and inaccuracies. You are so predictable!

The truth that comes out of your posts is that you want to distort whatever I write to make it appear as lies.  And in the process,  you don't care to lie shamelessly.  Your tactic can backfire badly for you.

Your current big lie is that it is "highly unlikely that I was in Taipei".   If things are "highly unlikely" about me, they are even more so about you. Maybe it is unlikely that you live in Bangkok.  Maybe all your stories of living and traveling throughout Asia is a lie.   Maybe you are writing from an old folk's home somewhere in Africa.  Your anonymity allows you to write all sorts of things that are lies.

On 6/4/2022 at 12:23 AM, InBangkok said:

As for the political/military situation between China and Taiwan, you have still refused to give any reason for your imaginings about Taiwan independence. You trashed my long review of the historical reasons for the present situation with "blah ... blah ... blah!" All that achieved was to inform all readers how little you actually know.

You so cocky and proud put me down for knowing so little.  This shows how dumb you are!  We ALL know very little.  What you "know",  which is mostly trivia,  anyone can know too by reading the same stuff you read.   If you don't believe me, read what you just wrote:

On 6/4/2022 at 12:59 AM, InBangkok said:

I do not know how much force would be necessary,

It was also suggested that the Taiwan position will not be as major a point in the near future as it has in recent months.

No one knows how all this will be played out in the coming months. But Xi faces re-election later this year. Until recently, this was a certainty. Now there seems to be at least a degree of doubt.

You don't know,  no one knows,  there seems to be doubt...   But what we all know is that you have a big mouth.

Edited by Steve5380

On 6/4/2022 at 10:12 PM, Steve5380 said:

You so cocky and proud put me down for knowing so little.  This shows how dumb you are!  We ALL know very little.  What you "know",  which is mostly trivia,  anyone can know too by reading the same stuff you read.   If you don't believe me, read what you just wrote:

You don't know,  no one knows,  there seems to be doubt...   But what we all know is that you have a big mouth.

Trashes and lies. All you are capable of!

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 8:05 AM, bluerunner said:

Facepalm situation sia. Top diplomat from USA, has no sense at all. This is not the time to act tough because you are from USA or you are white. Spare a thought to Asia and to the rest of the world. 

(She has the right to visit any country but do it at the right time, right occasion.) 

China is not the country to tell other countries when to visit anything.

It is not for the PRC to dictate when is the "right time and the right occasion".

When is the time good and when is the right occasion???

Do you think at any time the PRC would permit a trip of any US "official" to Taiwan?

The PRC would always have issues.

Does the King of Morocco protest when foreign leaders visit Ceuta or Melilla or disallow foreign leaders/ officials to visit these parts?

On Taiwan:

The PRC had many chances in the past to resolve the issue peacefully. But the never took up the baton.

In the past 15 years if not longer the PRC has thought it can dictate the terms of any settlement to the issue with Taiwan.

But this is not how it works.

With some concession Taiwan could have been already a part of China.

Look also what happened in Hongkong. the PRC broke every rule and agreement on the terms to integrate HongKong into the PRC.

Do you think this has helped to achieve any trust when it comes to Taiwan?

China begins military drills after Pelosi visit

BEIJING (AFP, REUTERS) - The Chinese military began live-firing exercises in the sea surrounding Taiwan at noon on Thursday (Aug 4), state broadcaster CCTV said, a day after US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi visited the self-ruled island.

“From 12pm today to 12pm on August 7, an important military exercise of the People’s Liberation Army is taking place,” CCTV said, in a social media post that included a map of Taiwan.

China’s Eastern Military Command said on Thursday that it had carried out long-range firing in precision strikes at specific areas in the eastern part of the Taiwan Strait as part of planned exercises.

Taiwan officials have said that the drills - China’s largest-ever around Taiwan - violate United Nations rules, invade Taiwan’s territorial space and are a direct challenge to free air and sea navigation.

The locations encircle the island in an unprecedented formation, Professor Meng Xiangqing of the National Defence University told Chinese state television, describing how an actual military operation against Taiwan could play out.

“In fact, this has created very good conditions for us when, in the future, we reshape our strategic landscape conducive to our unification,” Prof Meng said.

Chinese forces in two areas off the northern coast of Taiwan could potentially seal off Keelung, a major port, while strikes could be launched from an area east of Taiwan targeting the military bases in Hualien and Taidong, he said.

The “doors” to Kaoshiung could also be closed by Chinese military off the southwestern coast, he said.

China is conducting drills on the busiest international waterways and aviation routes and that is “irresponsible, illegitimate behaviour”,  Taiwan’s ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said.

And this will bring peace or unification of both parts???

Will this scare Taiwan to surrender?

What is all the talk about settling issues by peaceful means from the Chinese government when it comes to Ukraine?

China supports all efforts to resolve Ukraine crisis by peaceful means: Premier Li

China supports all efforts to resolve the Ukraine crisis by peaceful means, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said on Friday.

Li made his remarks during a press conference after the closing of the fifth session of the 13th National People's Congress.

Stressing that China follows an independent foreign policy of peace, Li said.

???

On 8/4/2022 at 3:04 PM, Guest Discovery said:

Here something on the person that publishes this video series:

Benenful "Benny" Johnson (born May 27, 1987) is an American political columnist, currently serving as chief creative officer at conservative organization Turning Point USA.[1] Johnson first rose to prominence as a staff writer at BuzzFeed, until he was fired following revelations that many of his published articles were plagiarized.[2][3]

Johnson is currently the host of The Benny Report, formerly The Beneful Report, on Newsmax TV.[4][5][6] Johnson is also employed by The Daily Caller.

In 2010, Johnson began contributing opinion pieces to the opinion website Breitbart. In 2011 he was hired as a full-time worker for Glenn Beck's TheBlaze, a conservative media website.[3] In 2012, Johnson became a staff writer at BuzzFeed.[9]

In July 2014, BuzzFeed found 41 instances of plagiarism in Johnson's writings, comprising almost ten percent of his work. He was subsequently fired from BuzzFeed and apologized for the plagiarism.[2] A few weeks later, he became digital director at National Review.[11]

In 2015, a few months after he was hired by National Review, he joined the Independent Journal Review (IJR) as a creative content contributor.[11] Later that year, IJR staffers accused Johnson of plagiarizing an article about then-House Republican Conference chairwoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers.[12] In late 2017, Johnson wrote an article containing the most controversial tweets of what he thought was the Boston antifa Twitter account. It was a fake account intended to lampoon antifa. Initially an editorial note was added, and the article was later removed.[13][14][15]

In 2017, Johnson was suspended by IJR after Johnson's involvement in an article which asserted that Judge Derrick Watson's partial blocking of Executive Order 13780 was connected to former President Barack Obama's visit to Hawaii. Johnson had been warned that IJR could potentially be promoting a conspiracy theory, but assigned the story anyway.[12][16] Later that year, Johnson was demoted for violating IJR's company ethics; Business Insider reported that Johnson had been verbally abusive and driven numerous staffers away from the IJR due to his management style.[16] Johnson and IJR's relationship was terminated in October 2017.[17]

=> Failing on objectivity.

Surely, the media platform "Turning Point USA" and "Benny on the Block" are not the media for any objective reporting.

Just aims to smear on Pelosi.

The real background of the homeless people in California are a growing population and the lack of affordable rental and that California is a desired state to live in the US, that draws many people.

The media has covered this sufficiently in the news recently:

How California’s homelessness catastrophe is worsening

Tue 22 Mar 2022

California’s catastrophe stems in part from a longstanding, statewide housing affordability crisis. Californians spend significantly more of their income on housing compared with the rest of the nation. More than 1.5 million renters spend half of their earnings on rent, leaving them potentially one medical emergency or crisis away from homelessness. In recent years, income inequality has only worsened.

Responding to the crisis, California is pouring billions of dollars into housing and related services, but the success of new programs meant to expand affordable housing and emergency shelter has been mixed.

“One of the challenges of housing policy is that it’s like turning around a giant ship. It’s a slow process,” said Shamus Roller, executive director of the National Housing Law Project. The state has made significant progress in recent years in investing in housing, he noted, but the benefits can sometimes take more than a decade to materialize.

Let's keep with facts.

Guest Self serving
On 8/4/2022 at 4:12 PM, singalion said:

The real background of the homeless people in California are a growing population and the lack of affordable rental and that California is a desired state to live in the US, that draws many people.

The media has covered this sufficiently in the news recently:

How California’s homelessness catastrophe is worsening

Tue 22 Mar 2022

California’s catastrophe stems in part from a longstanding, statewide housing affordability crisis. Californians spend significantly more of their income on housing compared with the rest of the nation. More than 1.5 million renters spend half of their earnings on rent, leaving them potentially one medical emergency or crisis away from homelessness. In recent years, income inequality has only worsened.

Responding to the crisis, California is pouring billions of dollars into housing and related services, but the success of new programs meant to expand affordable housing and emergency shelter has been mixed.

“One of the challenges of housing policy is that it’s like turning around a giant ship. It’s a slow process,” said Shamus Roller, executive director of the National Housing Law Project. The state has made significant progress in recent years in investing in housing, he noted, but the benefits can sometimes take more than a decade to materialize.

Let's keep with facts.

This lack objectivity and it is even more shocking that despite spending billions, there is still such huge number of homelessness in California who is under Nancy Pelosi and Democrats for decades.  

Truly shocking indeed.

Guest Talk nonsense
On 8/4/2022 at 4:12 PM, singalion said:

California is an extremely undesirable state to live in the US, as large number of people are leaving California. 

Fewer people moving to California, more leaving during the pandemic, study shows

The number of people moving to California from other states has dropped significantly since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, and more Californians are leaving the state, according to a new study released Wednesday.

The two trends signal that population loss due to domestic migration out of the Golden State has more than doubled since the beginning of the pandemic.

The pattern has rippled across California: New entrances to the state have dropped in every county since the end of March 2020. When Californians do move, researchers said they are slightly more likely to leave the state than they were before the start of the pandemic.

Entrances to California from other states have dropped 38% since March of last year, while the number of residents leaving to other states has increased 12%, the reportfrom the nonpartisan California Policy Lab said.

On 8/4/2022 at 3:04 AM, singalion said:

Here something on the person that publishes this video series:

Benenful "Benny" Johnson (born May 27, 1987) is an American political columnist, currently serving as chief creative officer at conservative organization Turning Point USA.[1] Johnson first rose to prominence as a staff writer at BuzzFeed, until he was fired following revelations that many of his published articles were plagiarized.[2][3]

Johnson is currently the host of The Benny Report, formerly The Beneful Report, on Newsmax TV.[4][5][6] Johnson is also employed by The Daily Caller.

In 2010, Johnson began contributing opinion pieces to the opinion website Breitbart. In 2011 he was hired as a full-time worker for Glenn Beck's TheBlaze, a conservative media website.[3] In 2012, Johnson became a staff writer at BuzzFeed.[9]

In July 2014, BuzzFeed found 41 instances of plagiarism in Johnson's writings, comprising almost ten percent of his work. He was subsequently fired from BuzzFeed and apologized for the plagiarism.[2] A few weeks later, he became digital director at National Review.[11]

In 2015, a few months after he was hired by National Review, he joined the Independent Journal Review (IJR) as a creative content contributor.[11] Later that year, IJR staffers accused Johnson of plagiarizing an article about then-House Republican Conference chairwoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers.[12] In late 2017, Johnson wrote an article containing the most controversial tweets of what he thought was the Boston antifa Twitter account. It was a fake account intended to lampoon antifa. Initially an editorial note was added, and the article was later removed.[13][14][15]

In 2017, Johnson was suspended by IJR after Johnson's involvement in an article which asserted that Judge Derrick Watson's partial blocking of Executive Order 13780 was connected to former President Barack Obama's visit to Hawaii. Johnson had been warned that IJR could potentially be promoting a conspiracy theory, but assigned the story anyway.[12][16] Later that year, Johnson was demoted for violating IJR's company ethics; Business Insider reported that Johnson had been verbally abusive and driven numerous staffers away from the IJR due to his management style.[16] Johnson and IJR's relationship was terminated in October 2017.[17]

=> Failing on objectivity.

Surely, the media platform "Turning Point USA" and "Benny on the Block" are not the media for any objective reporting.

Just aims to smear on Pelosi.

This individual Benny Johnson is a champion of lies and deceptions,  like any honest person can determine.  He is a perfect example of a person who abuses the important human right of freedom of speech.   Today we see in a Texas courtroom another similar case,  the trial of this scumbag Alex Jones, the fat big-mouth who claimed that the massacre at Sandy Hook was staged.   Here in court he finally admitted that this tragedy WAS REAL.   During the trial he repeatedly lied,  in violation of his oath to tell the truth.  There are opinions that this could land him in jail after a criminal trial.   Hopefully!  This is how individuals like him and Johnson should end:  broke and in jail.

What Johnson's video shows I can see also in downtown Houston.  And I have also seen something similar in Singapore's Chinatown.  It has nothing to do with Nancy Pelosi.   It has to do with social inequality and  social's indifference about the life of some people.  Homelessness is also embraced by some who give up on life, or live like that as an act of protest against society.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:43 AM, Guest Self serving said:

This lack objectivity and it is even more shocking that despite spending billions, there is still such huge number of homelessness in California who is under Nancy Pelosi and Democrats for decades.  

Truly shocking indeed.

What is truly shocking indeed is your lack of objectivity.

Guest Self serving
On 8/5/2022 at 2:23 AM, Steve5380 said:

What is truly shocking indeed is your lack of objectivity.

Nancy Pelosi’s district in California has got an objectively big homelessness issue. She should invite China property developers to help solve it. 

On 8/5/2022 at 12:46 PM, Guest Self serving said:

Nancy Pelosi’s district in California has got an objectively big homelessness issue. She should invite China property developers to help solve it. 

You could also post this in the US thread.

The topic of homeless people in the US has nothing to do with the Taiwan topic.

Please post such issues inside the US thread instead of derailing the topic here.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.