Male HQ

Chilli Crabs!

Baloo

Not healthy... in fact, to those who are not skillful in eating with their hands, and nut crackers, and pliers, and hammers, etc... mention crab... and we mostly think of the STD we get occasionally...

And crabs grow big when there is lots of rotting things to eat... even human remains... (rumour that Sri Lankan crabs are big becos of eating the carcasses of human remains...)

But... when those of us who DO enjoy eating crabs (to complete the food chain)... Chilli Crabs instantly salivate the mouth... and rumbles the stomach!

Where are there good chilli crabs? "No Signboard" is one such place...

Jumbo Seafood, Punggol Seafood, East Coast Seafood restaurants, The Little Red House... all famous pads for chilli crabs...

the smaller but popular outlets... some in Joo Chiat Place (Tien Xia Di Yi Jia) Crab place at Kembangan and Simpan Bedok etc... have great crab dishes...

Usually when I eat there... I dun care about appearance, dirt or whatever... just eat... smearing all 10 fingers, hands, wrists, face, front of shirt, etc with Chilli Crab sauce, crab meat, etc... not on purpose of course... it's just the nature of the dish... you dun eat this way, chances are you leave a lot of meat on what you discard... wat a waste...

but this round... wanted to eat in privacy... at home... so ... ta pau! from this place called Sun Hoi San (New Sea and Mountain - translated literally of course) Man... what a dish it was...

size of dish... 2 big meat crabs... about 1.7kg total weight when alive... Told the bosslady i dun wan 'water-crab' and i will be very pissed with her if i discover at home my 1.7kg crab was 1.3kg of crab shell... she explained how she see the crab wif me... I learnt to identify good crab from water crab tonite... :)

10 deep fried buns (man tou) - perfect for dipping in the crab chilli sauce...

transporting the dish was fast enough... 17 minutes from shop to home... still piping hot...

cheong ah!!!!! wa ... at home eat crab... lagi wild... hahaha... but meticulous... all shell and hard cartilage only discarded... no meat left... ate from 8.45 pm to 10.00 pm... gosh... slow eater... but damn... I enjoyed EVERY minute of it... and the crab... quite honoured to be picked clean this way heh heh...

Chilli Crab

Crab itself - 9/10 it could have been BIGGER...

Crab sauce - 9/10 towards the end, cold leow... and more watery... dunno why - may be the crab juice watering it down

Mantou - 10/10 damn... even when cold it's hot! the texture is beautiful...

All in... this is one dish to savour once in a while...

*slurp... burp*

there are a lot of coffee shop type ze-cha type that do have a cage of live crabs on sale... and do a variety of nice ze-cha dishes as well...

anyone care to share where their favourite ones are at and what are their 'good dishes' to order?

there are a lot of coffee shop type ze-cha type that do have a cage of live crabs on sale... and do a variety of nice ze-cha dishes as well...

anyone care to share where their favourite ones are at and what are their 'good dishes' to order?

Baloo, you might try Master Crab Seafood Rest at Blk 19 Ghim Moh Rd. Price between $30-55, it depend on the size or weight of the crab. I like their salted egg crab and chilly crab. Their beehoon soup crab not so good in comparison to Melben Seafood in AMK. Their Pepper crab so so only. The Kam Heon Crab tasted like Crab Massala, the indian dishes.

The taste especially very good after a golf game, 2 crab for 2 golfers just nice of different cooking. :thumb:

However the Master Crab since a few weeks ago started charging the customer 7% GST, earlier the restaurant absorbed it. Well, business good lah. :angry:

Edited by crazygolfer

Quote: Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at them. ~ US Professional Golfer Jimmy Demaret

Quote: If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play at it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf. ~ Actor Bob Hope (1903 - 2003)

• 1 month later...

I sometimes eat chilly crabs with my colleagues and friends because it is my favourite dish :thumb:

For me, the best is No Sign Board at Geylang, my colleague told me the No Sign Board at Vivo city is worse and more expensive of course :whistle:

Whenever I eat Chilly Crab in Ang Mo Kio, I got stomachache, don't know why ... :angry:

Jumbo Seafood is just nice but always good location (near Clark Quay or East Coast).

I heard there are some other places but have not tried yet, anyone can advise ? I will update later :rolleyes:

===============

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.