Male HQ

Monkeypox Virus Discussion (Racist & Idiotic post will be removed)

Guest Monkey Pox Beware

On 8/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, Guest Pa jiam said:

Weren't all small kids In spore pa jiam for smallpox?

Didn't you read above? 

"

For those who think that they are any safer because they had taken the smallpox vaccine decades ago.....

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/7022/#:~:text=Length of Protection,in 95% of those vaccinated.

Length of Protection

Smallpox vaccination provides full immunity for 3 to 5 years and decreasing immunity thereafter."

Guest Humans are not immortal
On 8/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, superflawless said:

Exactly right. I do not trust the MOH at all. 

I do not think they are taking this Monkeypox seriously at all, thinking that it's just a gay problem. 

They are too slow to respond. When you finally think you should be tackling the problem, you are already too late.

Then do what? 

Lockdown? 

Your best defence is wear full body suit. 

If it's not this pox, it's that virus, that flu, this virus. 

This is life. 

We are meant to get sick. 

Die.

Natural selection 

On 8/3/2022 at 2:41 PM, Guest Humans are not immortal said:

Then do what? 

Lockdown? 

Your best defence is wear full body suit. 

If it's not this pox, it's that virus, that flu, this virus. 

This is life. 

We are meant to get sick. 

Die.

Natural selection 

Best is to abstain from casual sex, for now.

Don't go to saunas, massages and any place that has close contacts with anyone. Including those that issue towels, bed linens, that sort of thing. At the gym, consider disinfecting every surface carefully.

Monkeypox isn't "LIFE". It is a virus.

This epidemic can be avoided. I strongly believe a more reliable vaccine will be coming out soon. Give it 6 more months.

If you cannot wait, then.... enjoy the itch, the pain and possibly scarring. I can only control myself. You do you.

Edited by superflawless

Guest Pa jiam
On 8/3/2022 at 2:40 PM, superflawless said:

Didn't you read above? 

"

For those who think that they are any safer because they had taken the smallpox vaccine decades ago.....

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/7022/#:~:text=Length of Protection,in 95% of those vaccinated.

Length of Protection

Smallpox vaccination provides full immunity for 3 to 5 years and decreasing immunity thereafter."

I don't read all posts out there but thanks for the info🙂

On 8/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, superflawless said:

Exactly right. I do not trust the MOH at all. 

I do not think they are taking this Monkeypox seriously at all, thinking that it's just a gay problem. 

They are too slow to respond. When you finally think you should be tackling the problem, you are already too late.

It would be useful to separate fact from opinions. I mean you are free to hold opinions about MOH being not serious or slow, or you say they think it's a gay problem, these are opinions, you may be right, you may be wrong.

Fact is, there are 12 unlinked cases, MOH through NCID have quarantined close contacts and given them post exposure vaccination known to be effective at reducing illness and contagiousness. None of the close contacts are ill yet. Fact is, they have additional quarantine facilities. The only thing they haven't done, offer the vaccines to gays. Do we really want that 1 in 175 chance of getting myocarditis and pericarditis from the ACAM2000 smallpox vaccine for a 1 in 10,000 chance of dying from monkeypox? Most will recover without issues. Weigh the risk ourselves and honestly say what else you want MOH to do. I trust not because I'm blind, I trust, for now, only because based on the facts, I don't think their assessment is wrong so far.

Also, no use complaining about MOH. Whatever MOH do is not going to save ppl from monkeypox If we individually still fcuk around and go to high risk places having sex where there is anonymous crowd, skin to skin contact in the dark. Save ourselves with simple logic and some adulting, not everything have to wait for authorities to do the right thing. But don't keep complaining too if they are already doing the right thing.

Notice I didn't bother to argue with the guest account, it's like arguing with air molecules. Does it add value to the discussion here? Or just meaningless ego quarrel?  Opinion is easy to hold, facts a bit harder to find and truth even harder to arrive at. The virus don't really care about MOH or what opinions you hold about about MOH, the virus just spreads where it finds a way.

Edited by PlayersGroup

There are cases every single day.

I strongly suggest getting vaccines for all who wants it to get it.

Even if we have to pay for it.

Notice I did not mentioned gay men. I would prefer the MOH allow anyone who feels vulnerable to get the vaccine.

Anyone with compromised immunity, in the hospitality line, in the military, who working in the service line, those in the medical field, anyone. Period.

I keep seeing such similar headlines whenever I search "Monkeypox"

Slow response to monkeypox exposes ‘tired, overworked’ US health agencies

“Unfortunately, delayed actions mean monkeypox has spread within the gay community and among other men who have sex with men,” said David Harvey, executive director of the National Coalition of STD Directors.

“This outbreak has grown to be a public health crisis in America. We are still in a very chaotic situation at the state and local level with an organized response.”

I hope the MOH acquire and distributes the vaccines for Monkeypox asap. 

Close contact don't get. 

But people randomly get but not from gay sex. 

All cases not linked. 

But no local transmission. 

But didn't go overseas. And since we still masked up from Covid-19. 

How curious. 

How very curious. 

Guest Guest
On 8/3/2022 at 2:39 PM, superflawless said:

11 reported.

I am exceedingly sure, many are not seeking medical help, and so, not reported. 

12 cases already … https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/12th-monkeypox-case-detected-in-singapore

I think those infected will have to go see a doctor because the symptoms quite grotesque.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:41 PM, Guest Haha said:

Close contact don't get. 

All cases not linked. 

How curious. 

How very curious. 

If all are honest and a big "IF", then perhaps need to check did they came into contact with monkeys since so many monkeys entered HDB flat recently,  could be infected monkeys infect each case individually.

It is hard to believe just like i dont believe only 1 case in phuket amd 1 case in bkk,  malaysia zero case? 

On 8/3/2022 at 3:41 PM, Guest Haha said:

Close contact don't get. 

All cases not linked. 

How curious. 

How very curious. 

The answer is likely already in there somewhere. 

From where can someone get monkeypox, people who didn't go overseas, seemingly no known links, all males, didn't spread to even close contacts (which I assume means family)?

People don't randomly get, at least not yet. Has to be an underlying network of linkage somehow or some locations with shared surfaces where skin is exposed.

Guest Where you all
On 8/4/2022 at 7:43 AM, bluerunner said:

Very irresponsible statement. Very irresponsible person. 

People who don't have sex don't need to worry la. 

Where you all get so much gay sex ah. 

I dunno where to look. 

On 8/3/2022 at 6:04 PM, PlayersGroup said:

The answer is likely already in there somewhere. 

From where can someone get monkeypox, people who didn't go overseas, seemingly no known links, all males, didn't spread to even close contacts (which I assume means family)?

People don't randomly get, at least not yet. Has to be an underlying network of linkage somehow or some locations with shared surfaces where skin is exposed.

saunas and cruising would be the most obvious culprits here, just like everywhere else in the world recently, where the cases have been predominantly in MSM. Because how would any close contact be traced from these? 

Guest Very curious case

Where all this unlinked man getting their infection?? 

Understall? 

Gloryhole? 

Swimming pool? 

Now ppl still WFH right? 

Very curious. 

Gay activities so underground ah? To the point that dunno each other after ons? 

Guest ffffffff
On 8/4/2022 at 8:25 AM, Guest Very curious case said:

Where all this unlinked man getting their infection?? 

Understall? 

Gloryhole? 

Swimming pool? 

Now ppl still WFH right? 

Very curious. 

Gay activities so underground ah? To the point that dunno each other after ons? 

Very hard one. The management of lots of places will send a cleaner into the toilet on the pretext of cleaning when the place is oreadi quite clean. 

On 8/4/2022 at 9:09 AM, Guest Guest said:

Why are all putting blame on gay men for spreading the disease ? Whenever i saw monkeypox news in FB, 90% of the comments sure target gay men.

Did you read the news or just the comments? 

Guest Strange diseases

Cause its so strange and dumbfounding that Singapore can't detect or figure out the link. 

Overseas they can detect to gay sauna etc. So can advise. 

Here. It's so mysterious. 

Come on guys, start infecting the ladies already. 

On 8/4/2022 at 9:09 AM, Guest Guest said:

Why are all putting blame on gay men for spreading the disease ? Whenever i saw monkeypox news in FB, 90% of the comments sure target gay men.

Because, all (except for those two kids in the States), the majority the patients are men.

And those patients are also gay or bi. The dots are there. So connect it however you like. 

The stigma is vile, I agree. But it also isn't completely unjustified. There are valid criticisms directed at gays and the promiscuity of some in the community. 

Edited by superflawless

On 8/4/2022 at 7:54 AM, Guest Why said:

saunas and cruising would be the most obvious culprits here, just like everywhere else in the world recently, where the cases have been predominantly in MSM. Because how would any close contact be traced from these? 

Very simple,  just bring back the trace together for these places. 

A lot of things can be done but they are not doing much or maybe they are doing sercretly as this is an extremely sensitive issue unlike covid.

Even the recent reporting does not dare to mention how they got it or how many close contacts. We were only told that all cases unlink or no travel history which doesnt help much. How to solve the problem when u r denying the problem? 

Edited by lonelyglobe

On 8/4/2022 at 7:43 AM, bluerunner said:

Very irresponsible statement. Very irresponsible person. 

It's a troll. Just treat guest accounts as molecules or amoeba, engage only those who are adding value to rational discussion

For safekeeping:

13th monkeypox case reported in S'pore; 33-year-old man is a local unlinked case

Published 3 Aug 2022, 6:36 pm SGT

SINGAPORE - The 13th case of monkeypox in Singapore was detected on Tuesday (Aug 2).

The man, 33, is a local unlinked case with no recent travel history, said the Ministry of Health on its website on Wednesday (Aug 3).

He is the eighth local unlinked case.

The remaining five cases are imported ones with recent travel history to Canada, the United Kingdom, the United States, Germany and Australia.

The ministry had announced on Monday that all monkeypox patients who are deemed clinically stable from Monday will be transferred to a dedicated isolation facility.

The quarantine period for close contacts will now be cut to 14 days, followed by seven days of monitoring for symptoms through phone calls. Previously, the quarantine period was up to 21 days.

The current outbreak of the viral disease emerged in May and has infected more than 18,000 people in 78 countries, said the World Health Organisation last Wednesday.

Nine people who contracted the virus in Africa, India, Brazil and Spain have died.

Some of the symptoms linked to the monkeypox virus include fever, headache, muscle pain, swollen lymph nodes, chills, lethargy and skin rash.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:54 AM, Guest Why said:

Since these establishments no longer require SafeEntry and TT scan, there won't be much chance to do contract tracing at all.

But I would not just point to gay sex "parlours", but also on sex parties, cruising at certain populated spots and similar events.

Let's put this into the correct perspective, while sex might be a transmitter due to the close proximity it is not the only one.

As pointed out by MOH and recently the local health experts, close contact or some non sexual skin contact may suffice.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:02 PM, lonelyglobe said:

It is hard to believe just like i dont believe only 1 case in phuket amd 1 case in bkk,  malaysia zero case? 

In a predominant Muslim country like Malaysia, I don't think anyone would want to go to a doctor...

Eventually, the Government also doesn't intend to publish any infections...

For those on the previous vaccine posts.

There will be a huge shortage of vaccines soon.

As previously the demand for the monkeypox vaccine was low, the contract manufacturing for the vaccine was stopped by Bavarian Nordic as the company made new deals on other vaccine manufacturing.

The units available now have mostly been purchased by the US.

Danger is looming here...

Exclusive: Closure of World’s Only Manufacturing Plant for Monkeypox Vaccine Raises Questions About World’s Ability to Meet Rising Demand

31/07/2022

The manufacturer of the world’s only vaccine approved for monkeypox, Bavarian Nordic, faces a planned closure of its European production plant until late 2022. With only 16.4 million doses of the MVA-BN vaccine available worldwide, it is unclear how the company plans to meet rising demand for its monkeypox vaccine following the global health emergency of international concern recently declared by the World Health Organisation. With no new doses expected to leave the facility until early 2023, donations from the few high-income countries that have stockpiled the vaccine, notably the United States, will be crucial to the world’s ability to respond to the outbreak.

Without a new licensing deal to speed up production of their vaccine, Bavarian Nordic risks catalysing a preventable repeat of the inequities seen in the early global response to the Covid pandemic.

Bavarian Nordic’s European vaccine production line, key to its generation of new volumes of the MVA-BN monkeypox vaccine, was closed this spring and will not be reopened until the third quarter of 2022, according to a 9 May investor report. The plant was shuttered prior to the emergence of the global health emergency presented by monkeypox in order to create new production lines for vaccines against rabies and tick-borne encephalitis, Rabipur and Encepur, recently acquired by Bavarian Nordic from GSK.

https://healthpolicy-watch.news/exclusive-china-monkeypox-bavarian-nordics/

Edited by singalion

On 8/4/2022 at 12:55 PM, singalion said:

Since these establishments no longer require SafeEntry and TT scan, there won't be much chance to do contract tracing at all.

But I would not just point to gay sex "parlours", but also on sex parties, cruising at certain populated spots and similar events.

Let's put this into the correct perspective, while sex might be a transmitter due to the close proximity it is not the only one.

As pointed out by MOH and recently the local health experts, close contact or some non sexual skin contact may suffice.

yes, I mentioned cruising.

And, yes, you keep repeating the exact same point about other possible means of transmission. Nobody is disputing that the virus can be transmitted by other means.

But the keyword is ‘possible’ means of transmission. To ‘put this into the correct perspective’ even you have to see that based on the affected group and experience in other countries, the most probably means of transmission of the majority of local cases has been through contact in a sexual context (kissing, skin in skin contact, sex, etc.). 

On 8/4/2022 at 2:17 PM, Guest Why said:

the most probably means of transmission of the majority of local cases has been through contact in a sexual context (kissing, skin in skin contact, sex, etc.). 

The reports did not say that the transmission was from sexual context.

The earlier reports spoke about perianal rashes or genital rashes

but the last reports since the 10th case all keep silent on the symptoms.

But: If you look at the last 3 - 5 local cases it does not mention anything and keeps quiet on that topic.

There is not even any hint.

The info on symptoms by MOH is getting lesser and lesser actually.

That the mode of transmission  for the local cases was from sexual contact is speculation on your side.

Other points:

Kissing is also not just a sexual context.

Kids kiss their mum or dad, uncles, grandparents and vice versa or other near relatives...

In some cultures people kiss as a form of greeting on the cheeks.

Same for skin to skin contact. It must not be necessarily sexual.

Quotes:
Published 3 Aug 2022,

SINGAPORE - The 13th case of monkeypox in Singapore was detected on Tuesday (Aug 2).

The man, 33, is a local unlinked case with no recent travel history, said the Ministry of Health on its website on Wednesday (Aug 3).

Published 2 Aug 2022,

SINGAPORE - A 12th monkeypox case was detected in Singapore on Monday (Aug 1).

The man, 59, is a local unlinked case with no recent travel history, said the Ministry of Health on its website on Tuesday evening. He is the seventh local unlinked case.

Published 27 Jul 2022

SINGAPORE - One more local monkeypox case was reported in Singapore on Wednesday (July 27), bringing the total number of cases detected here to 11. The 32-year-old Singaporean man had tested positive for the infection on Tuesday, and is currently warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID), said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in an update on its website.

On a note or for clarification: I m not saying that sexual contact is not risky or the most risky on getting infected with monkeypox... However, as others posted here also, the focus alone on sex will not prevent further spread but may cause people not to be sufficiently alerted on the modes of transmission or let them indulge into activities while thinking they are ok.

Edited by singalion

Guest Hahaha

Just have sex the old fashion way during Covid-19. 

Wear condom on your cock. 

And wear mask on your face. 

And wear gloves for extra protection. 

Guest Jaded
On 8/4/2022 at 2:36 PM, singalion said:

But: If you look at the last 3 - 5 local cases it does not mention anything and keeps quiet on that topic.

That the mode of transmission  for the local cases was from sexual contact is speculation on your side.

Other points:

Kids kiss their mum or dad, uncles, grandparents and vice versa or other near relatives...

Quotes:
Published 3 Aug 2022,

Published 2 Aug 2022,

The man, 59, is a local unlinked case with no recent travel history, said the Ministry of Health on its website on Tuesday evening. He is the seventh local unlinked case.

Published 27 Jul 2022

SINGAPORE - One more local monkeypox case was reported in Singapore on Wednesday (July 27), bringing the total number of cases detected here to 11. The 32-year-old Singaporean man had tested positive for the infection on Tuesday, and is currently warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID), said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in an update on its website.

On a note or for clarification: I m not saying that sexual contact is not risky or the most risky on getting infected with monkeypox... However, as others posted here also, the focus alone on sex will not prevent further spread but may cause people not to be sufficiently alerted on the modes of transmission or let them indulge into activities while thinking they are ok.

A reason for the recent omission of symptom details like peri anal lesions could be in acknowledgement of the unwanted effect: increased stigmatisation of infection which can influence infected persons to hide and not report or seek medical help.

I noticed something in my str8 social circles: mentions and discussions about covid  and dengue are free flowing and extensive (wrt recently surges in covid cases and some of our estates being dengue red zones). But hardly anyone talks about monkeypox. It's  suppose to be the so called 'latest and hottest' medical news relative to covid and dengue yet there seems to be a conscious avoidance to talk about it.

I might be overthinking, but is it because at the back of their minds people are already conscious of the association of the disease with msm and related activities, and find it difficult to talk about it without the danger of voicing out their opinions about the lgbt community and potentially offending others?

Guest Worry for fuck
On 8/4/2022 at 3:18 PM, Guest Jaded said:

A reason for the recent omission of symptom details like peri anal lesions could be in acknowledgement of the unwanted effect: increased stigmatisation of infection which can influence infected persons to hide and not report or seek medical help.

I noticed something in my str8 social circles: mentions and discussions about covid  and dengue are free flowing and extensive (wrt recently surges in covid cases and some of our estates being dengue red zones). But hardly anyone talks about monkeypox. It's  suppose to be the so called 'latest and hottest' medical news relative to covid and dengue yet there seems to be a conscious avoidance to talk about it.

I might be overthinking, but is it because at the back of their minds people are already conscious of the association of the disease with msm and related activities, and find it difficult to talk about it without the danger of voicing out their opinions about the lgbt community and potentially offending others?

Covid you can wear mask. 

Dengue you can make sure your house don't have water for breeding. 

Monkeypox you can do fuck.

Chicken pox you can do fuck. 

Swine flu you can do fuck. Don't eat pork. 

Bird flu you can do fuck. 

Hepatitis you can do fuck. 

Hand foot mouse disease (more real) you can do fuck. Wash hand. Don't touch mouth. 

Covid-19 made everyone paranoid but gentle reminder. People don't even wear mask nowadays. 

People don't care until it happened. 

So let it happen. 

Let it spread. 

On 8/4/2022 at 3:18 PM, Guest Jaded said:

If it had started in the straight communities like in Africa, it would be genital and peri-vaginal lesions and rashes...

It is actually MOH that started releasing fewer and fewer info on the cases.

Sure could be a policy against stigmatisation, but I personally don't think so.

I assume it is due to privacy as Singapore is too small.

They even deleted the previous detailed reports on the first 9 cases and replaced it with a short list that names

Age, nationality (see below)...

SUMMARY OF CONFIRMED MONKEYPOX CASES IN SINGAPORE
Case Number Date of Confirmation Age (years) Gender Recent Travel History Exposure

https://www.moh.gov.sg/diseases-updates/monkeypox

On 8/4/2022 at 2:36 PM, singalion said:

Other points:

Quotes:
Published 3 Aug 2022,

Published 2 Aug 2022,

Published 27 Jul 2022

You clearly continue to have problems with logic and comprehension.

I talked about the difference between what is possible and what is probable. You keep focussing and repeating the same point about endless possibilities while refusing to acknowledge the clear probabilities.  

So try  reading properly the posts you are responding to and addressing the points they actually make, not whatever you think you see or want to talk about.

Anyway, thanks to @cityhallguyfor sharing some helpful information which hopefully doesn’t get lost in all the bickering, theories and and spam posting from @singalion

On 8/4/2022 at 2:31 PM, cityhallguy said:

636C1C6D-A347-4E48-9823-AD039B569735.thumb.jpeg.7ec74a3c3905dd10c2836113241674a3.jpegMembers can used this as a reference guide from Queer Nation.

Got this from Twitter 

Very helpful, should be a pinned post 

On 8/4/2022 at 1:05 PM, singalion said:

For those on the previous vaccine posts.

There will be a huge shortage of vaccines soon...The units available now have mostly been purchased by the US. Danger is looming here...

May want to check your source reliable or not. I found a Reuters report interviewing Bavarian Nordic CEO saying they are in talks to ramp up production. (https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/bavarian-nordic-talks-expand-monkeypox-vaccine-production-if-needed-2022-07-25/)

"It can meet current demand in the tens of millions of doses for the monkeypox vaccine, Chief Executive Paul Chaplin said in an interview with Reuters...It is, however, working with a U.S.-based contract manufacturer to expand its production capacity...in early talks with others, including contract manufacturers and other vaccine makers, in case a further expansion is needed."

Also, you are referring specifically to Jynneos, there is ACAM2000 from Emergent too.

I'm not sure calling it "looming danger" is accurate. It is not fatal for most people, and most recover well, unless they have cancer or other severe  immunocompromised disease. It can be painful yes, it can be very stigmatising and obvious if we contract it yes, but it is still a recoverable nuisance as far as we know now. 

On 8/4/2022 at 4:12 PM, Guest Why said:

You clearly continue to have problems with logic and comprehension.

I talked about the difference between what is possible and what is probable. You keep focussing and repeating the same point about endless possibilities while refusing to acknowledge the clear probabilities.  

So try  reading properly the posts you are responding to and addressing the points they actually make, not whatever you think you see or want to talk about.

You are clearly not the one here to tell people what they have to do or what not.

I don't think I have any problems with logic and comprehension.

I only pointed to the fact that what you posted was not 100% precise as how the last cases contracted monkeypox has not been said in the media reports, therefore, your quick assumption it was by sexual contact was a speculation.

Maybe instead of getting personal or repeatedly attacking people who post here on personal items, you may just focus on the topic.

I assume that would serve the discussion much more and contribute to the thread...

Guest Don't care

Nobody cares about monkeypox when it spread in Africa. Africa got so scared meh? 

Spread outside. People scared. 

Africans still live normally. 

Really shows that the world don't care for others. Until it hurts you. 

On 8/4/2022 at 4:24 PM, PlayersGroup said:

May want to check your source reliable or not. I found a Reuters report interviewing Bavarian Nordic CEO saying they are in talks to ramp up production. (https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/bavarian-nordic-talks-expand-monkeypox-vaccine-production-if-needed-2022-07-25/)

"It can meet current demand in the tens of millions of doses for the monkeypox vaccine, Chief Executive Paul Chaplin said in an interview with Reuters...It is, however, working with a U.S.-based contract manufacturer to expand its production capacity...in early talks with others, including contract manufacturers and other vaccine makers, in case a further expansion is needed."

Also, you are referring specifically to Jynneos, there is ACAM2000 from Emergent too.

I'm not sure calling it "looming danger" is accurate. It is not fatal for most people, and most recover well, unless they have cancer or other severe  immunocompromised disease. It can be painful yes, it can be very stigmatising and obvious if we contract it yes, but it is still a recoverable nuisance as far as we know now. 

Bavarian Nordic is pushing the US (and other countries) to make a supply order as the US did for Covid-19 vaccines.

This is still in the discussion.

Also the potential new manufacturing locations are currently still in talks and not have been concluded.

LONDON, July 25 (Reuters) - Bavarian Nordic (BAVA.CO), the Danish company behind the vaccine being used to try to stem a global outbreak of monkeypox, is in talks to potentially expand production capacity, its CEO said on Monday.

The issue are that Bavarian Nordic will require outsourced manufacturing facilities as their own facilities at the moment can't be used for monkeypox. Since August the production of new vaccines has stopped and Bavarian Nordic is selling from existing stocks of vaccine.

There is no shift on this issue. (refer to below article and your own article you quoted).

From medical news platforms it seems that either a European government and/ or the US is trying to source a manufacturing facility for Bavarian Nordic at current stage to secure more manufacturing by end of the year. 

The issue has not yet been resolved.

At least I have not seen any more recent article that touched this manufacturing issue with Bavarian Nordic.

Will There Be Enough Monkeypox Vaccine?

A factory making Jynneos, the safest vaccine, has been closed since August, threatening global supplies as the virus spreads.

July 1, 2022

As the United States begins a vaccination campaign against monkeypox, concerns are mounting among some experts that the demand may soon far exceed the available supply.

Jynneos, the only vaccine developed for monkeypox, is made by a small Danish company, Bavarian Nordic. The company is expected to send about two million doses to the United States by the end of the year, but can produce less than five million more for the rest of the world.

The manufacturing facility that could make more has been shut for a planned expansion since last August. The facility is not expected to reopen until late this summer at the earliest, and additional vaccine manufactured there may not  become available for at least six months after that.

Because testing has been patchy, the scope of the monkeypox outbreak, and therefore the need for vaccines, is uncertain, said Angela Rasmussen, a research scientist at the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization at the University of Saskatchewan in Canada.

But the current supply “is certainly not enough to vaccinate everybody who’s going to be at risk,” she said.

Roughly 60 countries are grappling with monkeypox cases, and all except the United States will need to share available doses — enough for fewer than 2.5 million people — until early 2023.

Bavarian Nordic has “a very small inventory of finished products” already distributed, said Paul Chaplin, the chief executive. The company has been able to fulfill all of the orders it has so far received, he said.

In addition, the United States previously had purchased “bulk” vaccine that could be “finished” to produce up to 15 million doses, which would require five months, according to Mr. Chaplin.

The administration has ordered 2.5 million doses from that stock, the first 500,000 of which are expected to be delivered by the end of the year.

Bavarian Nordic is talking to other manufacturers that could produce more doses, but that, too, generally takes at least four to six months, Mr. Chaplin said.

Edited by singalion

On 8/4/2022 at 4:24 PM, PlayersGroup said:

Regarding ACAM2000

ACAM2000 is not licenced through the European regulator and complicated to administer. (See my earlier post on this some days ago) and has some severe side effects.

There is an alternative: ACAM2000, a version of the vaccine used to eradicate smallpox decades ago, which is also likely to be effective against monkeypox. But that vaccine has harsh side effects, including heart problems, and can be fatal in people with certain conditions.

Refer to the vaccine link from FDA that you posted yourself some days ago:

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/key-facts-about-monkeypox-vaccine

ACAM2000 may be used against monkeypox under FDA’s Expanded Access Investigational New Drug (IND) mechanism, which requires informed consent along with additional IND requirements. The Expanded Access IND mechanism is also available for use of JYNNEOS against monkeypox in individuals less than 18 years of age.

It should be noted that ACAM2000, which is administered as a single dose, must be given by a multiple puncture technique in the skin with a bifurcated needle, and the live vaccine virus is shed from the vaccination site and can spread to other parts of the body or to other people. Therefore, appropriate care of the vaccination site is required until it is completely healed, which may take four weeks or longer. This is particularly relevant if the individual receiving the vaccine comes into direct contact with immunocompromised individuals, who can be infected with the vaccine virus and experience serious complications.

ACAM2000 may cause myocarditis and pericarditis. In studies, about 1 in every 175 persons who got the vaccine for the first time may have experienced myocarditis and/or pericarditis. Other serious side effects of ACAM2000 include swelling of the brain or spinal cord, problems with the vaccination site becoming infected, and accidental infection of the eye.

Due to the side effects, ACAM2000 is not approved in the EU.

Note that plenty of countries follow the approval of the EU as they don't have own such regulators in their country.

Edited by singalion

On 8/4/2022 at 4:28 PM, singalion said:

You are clearly not the one here to tell people what they have to do or what not.

I don't think I have any problems with logic and comprehension.

I only pointed to the fact that what you posted was not 100% precise as how the last cases contracted monkeypox has not been said in the media reports, therefore, your quick assumption it was by sexual contact was a speculation.

Maybe instead of getting personal or repeatedly attacking people who post here on personal items, you may just focus on the topic.

I assume that would serve the discussion much more and contribute to the thread...

ffs

yes, I said ‘probable’, so of course it is speculation. If it was a fact, I would have said ‘definitely’ or ‘confined’z

the point again, for the hard of reading (ie. you): I am talking about probabilities. Your posts are overweighted towards discussing everything that is a possibility, while you totally refuse to acknowledge what is more probable.