Male HQ

Fermented Food

Btmboi1706

Anyone here interested in fermented food? Traditional fermented food or beverages like kefir, kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut…. Are full of probiotics that’s good for your gut and overall health. 
Currently I’m fermenting my own kombucha and kefir, looking for other folks that is also interested in healthy fermented food.

On 5/29/2022 at 9:54 AM, Btmboi1706 said:

Nice, what else did you ferment? I trying sauerkraut now, and probably kimchi next. I also recently try out one recipe to prepare fermented guacamole from my kefir whey.

Broadly speaking, I've made fermented tofu (nan ru), koji, miso, various lacto-ferments (besides sauerkraut and kimchi), soy sauce, tempeh and rice wines. am attempting to succeed at making apple cider vinegar at the moment

On 5/29/2022 at 7:40 PM, Zomgzmg said:

Broadly speaking, I've made fermented tofu (nan ru), koji, miso, various lacto-ferments (besides sauerkraut and kimchi), soy sauce, tempeh and rice wines. am attempting to succeed at making apple cider vinegar at the moment

For all this you need something like a fermentation box right? I know like koji, miso, need more precise temperature control?

On 5/30/2022 at 9:58 AM, Btmboi1706 said:

For all this you need something like a fermentation box right? I know like koji, miso, need more precise temperature control?

No need! At least I don't use one. Singapore's ambient temperature is actually great for fermentation (sometimes a little too great). 

On 6/1/2022 at 10:36 AM, yy02 said:

Where do you get the kefir grains?

You can either buy the milk kefir grains on Carousell or get them free from fellow milk kefir enthusiasts online.

For the latter, just join the Facebook group Water Kefir / Milk Kefir Grains Blessing (SG) and ask for donation of spare grains from those members who live near you.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/362467587291299

any difference or additional benefits over taking actual high quality probiotics? 30billion CFU with 7 strains. 

(i dont really enjoy eating too much dairy, and sour foods, especially on its own, which is how these foods should be eaten for its optimum effect.)

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

On 6/2/2022 at 9:33 AM, tomcat said:

any difference or additional benefits over taking actual high quality probiotics? 30billion CFU with 7 strains. 

(i dont really enjoy eating too much dairy, and sour foods, especially on its own, which is how these foods should be eaten for its optimum effect.)

I guess is just like taking vitamins supplement or obtaining vitamins from food, the same concept. I think definitely fine to get probiotics from supplement just that fermented food also come with other beneficial vitamins and mineral. 

On 6/2/2022 at 9:33 AM, tomcat said:

The differences are probiotic potency and costs.

A good homemade milk kefir can have a probiotic concentration of 10 billion CFU per ml of kefir comprising of more than 40 different strains of probiotic bacteria and yeasts. Compare that with a high quality (and costly) probiotic supplement of 30 billion CFU of 7 strains. 
I used to spend hundreds of $ a year on commercially available probiotic supplements before I started culturing my own milk kefir. Milk kefir is many many times more potent than the strongest commercially available probiotic supplements and the long term cost is only the cost of the fresh milk that’s used to make it.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:06 PM, Btmboi1706 said:

I guess is just like taking vitamins supplement or obtaining vitamins from food, the same concept. I think definitely fine to get probiotics from supplement just that fermented food also come with other beneficial vitamins and mineral. 

yes, true. although supplementation allows a more feasible dosing, like instead of eating 8 oranges for 4000mg of Vitamin C. likewise, the opposite argument can be made that, maybe too much sugar is ingested to obtain the correct amount of dosing for probiotics as well. lactose is a sugar that is often not tolerated well in high doses.

On 6/4/2022 at 3:41 PM, stevechia said:

The differences are probiotic potency and costs.

A good homemade milk kefir can have a probiotic concentration of 10 billion CFU per ml of kefir comprising of more than 40 different strains of probiotic bacteria and yeasts. Compare that with a high quality (and costly) probiotic supplement of 30 billion CFU of 7 strains. 
I used to spend hundreds of $ a year on commercially available probiotic supplements before I started culturing my own milk kefir. Milk kefir is many many times more potent than the strongest commercially available probiotic supplements and the long term cost is only the cost of the fresh milk that’s used to make it.

agree on the cost, its definitely more self-sufficient. more effort though to ensure the right quality everytime.

I wonder how much CFU and strain is actually enough for an adult male (asian), and what is actually overkill? 

we often think a lot is good, but like most foods, there is a limit of bio-availability and absorption, so i am just curious.

I would still consider making my own if supplement prices are exorbitant, or yogurt suddenly becomes scarce.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

On 6/6/2022 at 11:52 AM, tomcat said:

yes, true. although supplementation allows a more feasible dosing, like instead of eating 8 oranges for 4000mg of Vitamin C. likewise, the opposite argument can be made that, maybe too much sugar is ingested to obtain the correct amount of dosing for probiotics as well. lactose is a sugar that is often not tolerated well in high doses.

agree on the cost, its definitely more self-sufficient. more effort though to ensure the right quality everytime.

I wonder how much CFU and strain is actually enough for an adult male (asian), and what is actually overkill? 

we often think a lot is good, but like most foods, there is a limit of bio-availability and absorption, so i am just curious.

I would still consider making my own if supplement prices are exorbitant, or yogurt suddenly becomes scarce.

Properly cultured milk kefir has almost no lactose left in it because it would have been consumed by the lactic acid bacteria during the fermentation process so much so that even lactose-intolerant can consume it without any problem. Always carry out a second fermentation in the fridge to consume any remaining lactose after the first fermentation if lactose is a problem. I am lactose intolerant and never once had a problem from consuming milk kefir even at the quantity that I am drinking.

Unlike supplemented nutrients and vitamins and minerals, bio-availability and absorption is not so much of an issue with milk kefir. The probiotic bacteria and yeasts are suppose to flood the digestive tract and overwhelm and destroy any population of pathogenic organisms in our body. With so many probiotic strains of bacteria and yeasts and such high probiotic concentrations, milk kefir is more effective in repopulating our microbiome with organisms that are friendly and beneficial to our digestive system and immune system. Any excess probiotic organisms would be converted to food or purge from the system in the excrement. So essentially, milk kefir is just a food and we just need to ensure that we do not over consume it like any other food and put on unwanted weight.

On 6/7/2022 at 10:52 PM, Btmboi1706 said:

@stevechia normally how long do you left you kefir for 1st fermentation?

I would carry out 1st fermentation for about 12 hrs at room temperature but will stop the fermentation the moment I see separation of curd and whey starting. After straining out the grains, the milk kefir is then put inside the fridge for another 12 hrs of 2nd fermentation before consumption.

On 6/6/2022 at 7:18 PM, stevechia said:

Properly cultured milk kefir has almost no lactose left in it because it would have been consumed by the lactic acid bacteria during the fermentation process so much so that even lactose-intolerant can consume it without any problem. Always carry out a second fermentation in the fridge to consume any remaining lactose after the first fermentation if lactose is a problem. I am lactose intolerant and never once had a problem from consuming milk kefir even at the quantity that I am drinking.

Unlike supplemented nutrients and vitamins and minerals, bio-availability and absorption is not so much of an issue with milk kefir. The probiotic bacteria and yeasts are suppose to flood the digestive tract and overwhelm and destroy any population of pathogenic organisms in our body. With so many probiotic strains of bacteria and yeasts and such high probiotic concentrations, milk kefir is more effective in repopulating our microbiome with organisms that are friendly and beneficial to our digestive system and immune system. Any excess probiotic organisms would be converted to food or purge from the system in the excrement. So essentially, milk kefir is just a food and we just need to ensure that we do not over consume it like any other food and put on unwanted weight.

haha you are like a Kefir salesman!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.