Male HQ

Parkroyal Collection Pickering hotel apologises after turning away same-sex couple trying to book wedding venue

AJs should just stop booking rooms at Parkroyal during Pinkdot. I have boycotted them ever since they pulled their sponsorship of Pinkdot many years ago while still raking in pink dollars.

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/parkroyal-collection-pickering-hotel-apologises-after-turning-away-same-sex-couple-trying

Parkroyal Collection Pickering hotel apologises after turning away same-sex couple trying to book wedding venue

On 6/21/2022 at 4:15 PM, Guest Roy Tan said:

However, Lim declined to comment on his reasons for being at the event when approached by the media,

See? I had suspected it all along.   This person went there to put on a show, but he refused to say anything about his support for us because he is terrified of being stigmatized.   

On 6/21/2022 at 5:01 PM, StockBottom said:

AJs should just stop booking rooms at Parkroyal during Pinkdot. I have boycotted them ever since they pulled their sponsorship of Pinkdot many years ago while still raking in pink dollars.

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/parkroyal-collection-pickering-hotel-apologises-after-turning-away-same-sex-couple-trying

From heckin' unicorn on FB.

Mr Choe Peng Sum, CEO of the Pan Pacific Hotels and Resorts (which PARKROYAL is a part of), is listed as a Vice-Chair of the Focus on the Family Singapore board. Focus on the Family Singapore (FOTFSG) is a known anti-LGBTQ organisation.

so can avoid pan pac and parkroyal too. I better scrutinise all the impending hotel/resort bookings i planned overseas as well.

On 6/21/2022 at 10:50 PM, Chris Low said:

so can avoid pan pac and parkroyal too. I better scrutinise all the impending hotel/resort bookings i planned overseas as well.

It's a huge group of hotels!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Pacific_Hotels_and_Resorts

Edited by StockBottom

Parkroyal and pan pacific are under UOB group,  so must boycot UOB too? 

There is a huge difference between supporting pink dollars and supporting pink community. Most of the business in SG only want the pink dollar as they cannot go against our goverment stand on this issue. 

Si mi dai ji?

No head no tail.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

the hotel's employee, which read: "I am sorry to inform you that the hotel does not allow same-sex couples to have wedding ceremony and celebration due to the regulation."

“Thank you for your patience as we seek to understand this unfortunate mistake and misinformation from one of our team members at Parkroyal ,” the hotel said in an Instagram post.   “We are an inclusive hotel, and we are truly sorry for the disappointment and inconvenience this may have caused.

What is new in Singapore?

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/parkroyal-pickering-hotel-same-sex-couple-wedding-ceremony-1931046

WHERE THE LAWS STAND

Lawyers approached by TODAY confirmed that the hotel would not have broken any laws had it rejected the couple from holding their wedding ceremony there, and that this decision is up to the hotel's own policy. 

Mr Suang Wijaya from law firm Eugene Thuraisingam LLP, who is a criminal and commercial disputes lawyer, said: "To my knowledge, there is presently no law in Singapore that prohibits a private establishment — such as a hotel — from engaging in discriminatory acts against the LGBTQ community."

It is also not possible for a couple in Singapore to "legally compel a private establishment to serve them", he added.

This is unlike in other countries such as the United Kingdom, where there is a law that compels private establishments not to be discriminatory in their provision of services.

On the other hand, it is also legal for a same-sex couple to hold a private celebration such as a wedding ceremony in Singapore, said civil disputes lawyer Trent Ng. 

"However, such unions would not be marriages registrable by the Registry of Marriages under the Women's Charter," Mr Ng added.

Can refuse service based on race or religion, or even nationality?

Guest Guest

Aiyah, if the hotel don't support gay weddings, then just book another hotel lor. Don't small small thing make such a big hoohar, like a bitchy drama queen.

End up make up gays look very petty and gives people more reason to despise us.

Guest No Law
On 6/23/2022 at 1:57 PM, StockBottom said:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/parkroyal-pickering-hotel-same-sex-couple-wedding-ceremony-1931046

WHERE THE LAWS STAND

Lawyers approached by TODAY confirmed that the hotel would not have broken any laws had it rejected the couple from holding their wedding ceremony there, and that this decision is up to the hotel's own policy. 

Mr Suang Wijaya from law firm Eugene Thuraisingam LLP, who is a criminal and commercial disputes lawyer, said: "To my knowledge, there is presently no law in Singapore that prohibits a private establishment — such as a hotel — from engaging in discriminatory acts against the LGBTQ community."

It is also not possible for a couple in Singapore to "legally compel a private establishment to serve them", he added.

This is unlike in other countries such as the United Kingdom, where there is a law that compels private establishments not to be discriminatory in their provision of services.

On the other hand, it is also legal for a same-sex couple to hold a private celebration such as a wedding ceremony in Singapore, said civil disputes lawyer Trent Ng. 

"However, such unions would not be marriages registrable by the Registry of Marriages under the Women's Charter," Mr Ng added.

Can refuse service based on race or religion, or even nationality?

Here, is where Shamugam fail to address the law did not protect LGBT despite all the govt rhetorics about LGBT being treated fairly. 

On 6/21/2022 at 6:47 PM, Why? said:

See? I had suspected it all along.   This person went there to put on a show, but he refused to say anything about his support for us because he is terrified of being stigmatized.   

What a hypocrite! Is Pink Dot so unmentionable that he's ashamed to even say a few words of encouragement???

On 6/25/2022 at 2:14 PM, Guest Guest said:

Aiyah, if the hotel don't support gay weddings, then just book another hotel lor. Don't small small thing make such a big hoohar, like a bitchy drama queen.

End up make up gays look very petty and gives people more reason to despise us.

I don't think the purpose of this discussion is to bitch them. It is good that someone started this conversation to inform our plu brothers and sisters about such a blatant discrimination, so that we can make our own decisions when it comes to supporting these homophobic organisations.

Guest 滥贱 冰冰
On 6/25/2022 at 4:01 PM, Guest No Law said:

Here, is where Shamugam fail to address the law did not protect LGBT despite all the govt rhetorics about LGBT being treated fairly. 

K. SHAM , only said that QUEER people will not be discriminated and will not be treated unfairly when it comes to employment and job promotions and jon oppotunities.

Never mentioned anything else besides that, except creating a safe social environment for Queer people to participate fully as inclusive people in society. 

K. Sham never mentioned nor specify that rights and marriages will be defended. 

Anyrhing that goes against the flow of the river or the currents of the sea, going against national policy, what do you expect , he cannot go solo and go against the tide.  

Lets be fair

So be patient, its an evolving issue.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.