Male HQ

The Great Resignation wave

Guest Soon

A December 2021 survey by jobs site Indeed of roughly 1,000 workers in Singapore found that almost half of respondents were unsure if they'd stay in their current positions over the next six months. Nearly a quarter intended to leave their employer in the first half of this year. LinkedIn data for January showed a notable increase in the number of workers switching industries in Spain, the Netherlands and Italy compared to early 2021.

Why are people still leaving or planning to leave their jobs despite the adverse financial implications? One in two (52 per cent) of those who have resigned said they no longer felt engaged at work. Other factors include seeking better career prospects (38 per cent), taking a break for mental wellness (34 per cent) and toxic work environments (34 per cent).

It’s happening globally. Are you one of them? Share with us, did you plan before handing in the resignation? Or, just do it?

https://dollarsandsense.sg/business/are-singapore-employees-part-of-the-great-resignation/

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/prudential-poll-great-resignation-sees-060000961.html

2019 - hard to find job

2020 - hard to find job

2021 - hard to find job

2022 - hard to find job 

This coming from a fresh grad during the Covid-19 who is asking for 5k starting pay but can't find one that matches his request and skillset 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:16 PM, Guest Test said:

2019 - hard to find job

2020 - hard to find job

2021 - hard to find job

2022 - hard to find job 

This coming from a fresh grad during the Covid-19 who is asking for 5k starting pay but can't find one that matches his request and skillset 

plenty of jobs in F&B industry / Hospitality sector screaming for manpower & no one wants to do it...!!!! minimum fetches u a good S$2.5k for a start and slowly make your way up to S$3.5k. recently i knew of a dishwasher lady.. she was a former local bank accountant.. she had tons of degrees on hand.. but nobody wants her.. what she do? she took up a dishwashing job.. S$2k a month just to feed her kids & family.

Edited by single42

i was in the F&B industry, when the covid hits, some of us when & took up the swabber job because restaurants were closing left & right.. biz was bad.. 2yrs, i saw all walks of life went to take up a swabber job raking S$3.8k (gross) per month. thereafter.. when the contract ended, market opens up.. we went back.. starting we all take the lowest pay S$2.5k... slowly.. taking part time jobs left & right.. to make up the pay package to S$3k.. if there're better pay packages, of cos' i wouldn't hesitate to jump ship 

it is how we, s'poreans want to do it or not.. stop complaining that other nationalities are taking our rice bowl. shut our mouths, put our head down and work hard at it. 

Or u start ur own business, really put in 1200% heart, effort, strength, mind & soul into it. 

Only the lucky and brave (or more realistically, people who don't actually need to work) will resign for all the reasons stated apart from better career prospects.

If you need to put a roof over your head or have mouths to feed, disengaged, mental torture or toxic work environment or not, you just keep at it unless you have a better option. Not resign and hope to be engaged, better mental wellness or happy clappy work environment. Those are luxuries for people who have a safety net. 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:49 PM, single42 said:

i was in the F&B industry, when the covid hits, some of us when & took up the swabber job because restaurants were closing left & right.. biz was bad.. 2yrs, i saw all walks of life went to take up a swabber job raking S$3.8k (gross) per month. thereafter.. when the contract ended, market opens up.. we went back.. starting we all take the lowest pay S$2.5k... slowly.. taking part time jobs left & right.. to make up the pay package to S$3k.. if there're better pay packages, of cos' i wouldn't hesitate to jump ship 

it is how we, s'poreans want to do it or not.. stop complaining that other nationalities are taking our rice bowl. shut our mouths, put our head down and work hard at it. 

Or u start ur own business, really put in 1200% heart, effort, strength, mind & soul into it. 

Local Singaporeans are not keen on F and B because of the long hours and hard work. To make matters worse, local F and B companies are not willing to pay a fair salary, hence the perpetual shortage of staff in this sector. Things have gotten so bad that even our Malaysian bros are not keen to take up positions here.

So you are right. We have only ourselves to blame.

Edited by gc0805
Spelling correction

On 6/24/2022 at 12:56 AM, gc0805 said:

Local Singaporeans are not keen on F and B because of the long hours and hard work. To make matters worse, local F and B companies are now willing to pay a fair salary, hence the perpetual shortage of staff in this sector. Things have gotten so bad that even our Malaysian bros are not keen to take up positions here.

Local Singaporeans are not keen to work in F&B because:

1. hey think that F&B is blue collar jobs

2. Like what u said; the LONG HOURS ; 6 days a week, 12hrs a day; sacrificing family & personal relationships

3. F&B has been paying fair salary all along based on skills, knowledge & experience)

4. IF no one wants to work in the F&B then the company that does the hiring, has to write to the govt for permission to hire foreign staffs

5. that's when Singaporeans make noise (complaining) that foreign staffs are here to compete when we're not willing to do the dirty jobs (f&b, construction; bussing tables at coffeeshops & cleaning toilets) ; Singaporeans wants to do the easy work while making the most money.. so yes u're right, Singaporeans can only blame themselves. 

6. Malaysians are clearly & are willingly to come here to do a F&B job happily.. and for information; i worked in a restaurant's kitchen, i am the only Singaporean in it. Most F&B establishments staffs are from Malaysia; Philippine & China. 

Edited by single42

Guest Be smarter
On 6/23/2022 at 12:16 PM, Guest Test said:

2019 - hard to find job

2020 - hard to find job

2021 - hard to find job

2022 - hard to find job 

if you can’t find what you are looking for, then you need to adapt - that’s life.

Guest Fatty
On 6/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, Ironrod said:

Recession is coming soon, u can resign but prepare to have a harder time finding a new one.

Outside condo and conti cars selling like hot cakes. What recession? 

recession happens only in blowing wind 

Guest Tylers nipples
On 6/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, Guest Fatty said:

Outside condo and conti cars selling like hot cakes. What recession? 

recession happens only in blowing wind 

Lol 

Guest Guest
On 6/23/2022 at 2:55 PM, Chirstopher Lee said:

Just resigned in Johor and going to SG to take Singaporeans rice bowls in September

the real threat is from your own countryman. dun say i never warn you.

On 6/23/2022 at 12:43 PM, single42 said:

plenty of jobs in F&B industry / Hospitality sector screaming for manpower & no one wants to do it...!!!! minimum fetches u a good S$2.5k for a start and slowly make your way up to S$3.5k. recently i knew of a dishwasher lady.. she was a former local bank accountant.. she had tons of degrees on hand.. but nobody wants her.. what she do? she took up a dishwashing job.. S$2k a month just to feed her kids & family.

Accountant can't find an accounting job? Quite unheard of.

Local Singaporeans are not keen on F and B because of the long hours and hard work. To make matters worse, local F and B companies are now willing to pay a fair salary, hence the perpetual shortage of staff in this sector. Things have gotten so bad that even our Malaysian bros are not keen to take up positions here.

Are now

Or 

Are not 

?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

I honestly feel like leaving my job lately. It's like an on and off feeling over a few months which I think should be a red flag? Currently feels like a bad day at work twice or thrice a week kind. Not just lately, I've felt this exact same thing 4 months and even 8 months back . 

So anyways I've been working at my current job for almost 8 years as a public servant and it's my first job. Got no prior experience before this so if I leave I'm definitely getting a huge payout. Not sure on where to go either. Feels like I lack the skills to go anywhere.

Guest Fatty
On 6/24/2022 at 12:38 PM, Guest Guest said:

the real threat is from your own countryman. dun say i never warn you.

Just let those jiuhu kia fight and kill off each other 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest
On 6/26/2022 at 6:53 AM, Guest Fatty said:

Just let those jiuhu kia fight and kill off each other 

in my company, the sporeans & msians can get along well. ironically, its the msians themselves that always backstab each other.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:04 AM, lonely57 said:

I honestly feel like leaving my job lately. It's like an on and off feeling over a few months which I think should be a red flag? Currently feels like a bad day at work twice or thrice a week kind. Not just lately, I've felt this exact same thing 4 months and even 8 months back . 

So anyways I've been working at my current job for almost 8 years as a public servant and it's my first job. Got no prior experience before this so if I leave I'm definitely getting a huge payout. Not sure on where to go either. Feels like I lack the skills to go anywhere.

if you want to leave, better leave while you are still young & not so expensive. Labour market right now is very tight, you may not get a pay cut if look carefully 

On 7/5/2022 at 2:45 AM, Guest Guest said:

in my company, the sporeans & msians can get along well. ironically, its the msians themselves that always backstab each other.

How do you know the msians r not back stabbing the sgreans?

It's called BACK stabbing do a reason.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

On 7/5/2022 at 11:09 PM, Chirstopher Lee said:

Yea i know. The road runs both way. Anyway thanks for the wishes. 

Thanks for taking my well wishes and comments in the right spirit.

Am sure you have much to contribute to the company and our economy. 

Edited by Yuquidam2022

Local Singaporeans are not keen on F and B because of the long hours and hard work. To make matters worse, local F and B companies are not willing to pay a fair salary, hence the perpetual shortage of staff in this sector. Things have gotten so bad that even our Malaysian bros are not keen to take up positions here.

But the local F & B will still require to employ a certain amount of locals, otherwise they can't hire any foreigners or S/work pass holders...

F & B also offers options for more senior employees who intend to cool down working hours and stress or are retirees.

In plenty of outlets you will find more senior locals...

For Malaysia you should note that Malaysians are also gaining higher education, who with a university degree intends to end up to work in F&B or retail in Singapore, sharing a room in an HDB but still paying 50% of the salary for rental?

Looking at Malaysia, there are already sufficient university degree holders that work below their abilities, as there aren't sufficient jobs for all of them with adequate pay.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:09 PM, Chirstopher Lee said:

Yea i know. The road runs both way. Anyway thanks for the wishes. 

We don't even know whether he is "taking the rice bowl " of a Singaporean...

At current stage, when a company is hiring a foreigner, then most probably no Singaporean wanted to take up the job, was not qualified, did not have the technical background or found the pay too low or the boss will factor in that a single Malaysian might not come with a strict 9 to 5 work attitude...

Hey, don't listen to all the negativity and toxic things from these Guest trolls here.

More important is that you can adapt into Singapore's work life, which I don't doubt as most Malaysian employees are the sincere and hard working.

Singapore should be happy that still in 2022 Malaysians are taking jobs in Singapore...

In my office building most corridors are vacated by 5.30pm the latest nowadays and mostly the expat bosses or expats are left...

This how "work life balance" has changed from some years back...

As a last note: in your case Chris Lee I would not have posted it the way you did in your first post...

On 7/6/2022 at 3:48 PM, singalion said:

We don't even know whether he is "taking the rice bowl " of a Singaporean...

At current stage, when a company is hiring a foreigner, then most probably no Singaporean wanted to take up the job, was not qualified, did not have the technical background or found the pay too low or the boss will factor in that a single Malaysian might not come with a strict 9 to 5 work attitude...

Hey, don't listen to all the negativity and toxic things from these Guest trolls here.

More important is that you can adapt into Singapore's work life, which I don't doubt as most Malaysian employees are the sincere and hard working.

Singapore should be happy that still in 2022 Malaysians are taking jobs in Singapore...

Fully agree with your assessment of the dire manpower needs of various sectors in Singapore.

Guest Fatty
On 7/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, fab said:

How do you know the msians r not back stabbing the sgreans?

It's called BACK stabbing do a reason.

It’s the speciality of those jiu hu sai 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.