Male HQ

IMDA slaps R18 rating on Rainbow Families exhibition even though no depiction of gay kissing

Guest Roy Tan

Guest Roy Tan

Lianhe Zaobao today ran an article about the Love & Acceptance exhibition by Rainbow Families.
Here's my English translation for those who don't read Chinese:
Cherish more, criticise less
Accepting coming out of the closet with love
Report - Chen Yingzhen
yingzhen@sph.com.sg
About 10 years ago, Teo Yusheng and his younger brother Yuxiang chose to write a letter to tell their mother about their sexual orientation so that she would have enough time to digest the revelation and be relieved. The family's feelings were further deepened because of their newfound understanding.
In the face of sensitive issues, parents and children will inevitably have different conceptions and judgements. Communication can effectively eliminate differences. Listen more, criticise less, give each other the proper space and time, and build on love. No matter how big the obstacles, they can be overcome together.
How easy or difficult parent-child communication is, perhaps it is about how one thinks of it. Mindset is especially important when dealing with sensitive issues.
The twin brothers Teo Yusheng and Teo Yuxiang (30 years old) are grateful and thankful to their mother for always listening and understanding them, even though each has many struggles and troubles in their hearts.
Teo Yusheng and his younger brother Yuxiang wrote to their mother about 10 years ago to tell their mother they were gay. I chose to write a letter not only to better convey what I wanted to say, but also to take into account that my mother might be very shocked when she found out, and it will take time to digest and respond.
Teo Yusheng said: In face-to-face conversations, you may misunderstand each other because of certain emotions, or you may hear or remember wrongly. Write down what you want to say. A white piece of paper can be read repeatedly, it is easier to understand, and you have time to figure things out. In the age of digitalisation, it is different to receive a handwritten letter from a loved one.
More importantly, he and his brother knew that their mother loved them so much that even though, like many Asian families, they never talked to their mother about sexual orientation, the brothers had the courage to give the letter to their mother.
Teo Yusheng said: Our father died when we were 15 years old, and we have always had a very close relationship with our mother, and we often chatted. We know that our mother loves us no matter what, but we must also give her enough time and space for her to slowly understand us.
The parent-child relationship is all about honesty
Recalling the day she received the letter, Teo's mother (59) said she had many questions in her mind. Why is it like this? Why my child? Is it a genetic problem? Is it my fault? Will it be easy for them to find a job when they come out to society? Will it affect their future?
Despite the myriad of questions and concerns, Mama Teo did not show too much emotion in front of her children. She calmly texted the children, asking them to give her a week to think before the family could sit down and talk.
Teo Yusheng said: Mum's reaction gave us a sigh of relief. Although the week felt a little apprehensive, there was no emotional outburst from mum and we were reassured by her calmness and maturity.
(Inset:
"Children may have to hide their hard work at school and in the workplace to let them know and feel that you care. At least at home they can be themselves." - Mama Teo
"Mom is just worried about our future and makes no value judgment on us. After that conversation, I felt more intimate with my mother than I ever had before." - Teo Yuxiang)
A week later, Mama Teo shared all her doubts and troubles with her sons. They were very patient and explained everything to me, which gave me a better understanding of LGBTQ (homosexual, bisexual, transgender, etc.).
During the deep conversation that night, Yu Xiang and Yu Sheng told their mother about their inner pain and struggle. Teo's mother said that she was heartbroken when she heard it. I am grateful and thankful that they were able to confess to me and I decided to protect and support them.
Teo Yuxiang said: "My mother is just worried about our future and makes no value judgment on us. After that conversation, I felt more intimate with my mother than before."
Facts have proven that Teo's mother's worries were unfounded. Teo Yuxiang is currently a senior product designer and Teo Yusheng founded the design brand Heckin' Unicorn. In addition, Teo Yusheng also cooperated with three other creative people to organise the Rainbow Family Project, taking family photos for families of homosexual, bisexual and transgender people.
In addition to the original family like the Teos, there are also selected families participating in this project, (chosen families), that is, families made up of relatives and friends who are considered family by LGBTQ people.
On the filming location, Mama Teo saw some LGBTQ individuals who, because their own families were unable to accept their sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, chose to take pictures with friends.This made her feel a little sad, but she was also happy that these children could find a group of friends to call family.
Parent-child communication is about listening
Sensitive issues are difficult to deal with and everyone's family situation is different. Teo’s mother emphasized the importance of communication based on the experience of people who have come here. First, listen carefully and try to understand the children’s experiences and thoughts, instead of criticising them immediately. Questions should also be raised and asked.
Mother Teo also suggested that parents should give their children enough space to understand themselves. When children feel at home and at ease, they will feel that they do not need to hide from judgement. Instead, they can open up and take the initiative to tell their parents about their sexuality. Children may have to hide their hardships at school and in the workplace to let them know and feel that you care, and at least at home they can be themselves.
Mother Teo said: The life of the child is given by us, and it is a gift from God to bring the child into this world. We have the responsibility to protect and love them. At present, there are many people in society who cannot accept LGBTQ. If even their closest loved ones can't accept them, how can they achieve happiness on the road of life?
The Love & Acceptance art exhibition organised by Rainbow Families has begun and will be held until July 1. Admission is free.
Opening times: 4pm to 10pm (Wednesday to Friday) / 1pm to 10pm (Saturday and Sunday)
Location: Projector X : Riverside. 30 Merchant Road. Riverside Point #04-13. Singapore 058282
Exhibition classification: R18
Photo caption:
Teo Yusheng (first from the left) and Teo Yuxiang (first from the right) received support and acceptance from their mother after sharing their struggles candidly with their mother. This family portrait is one of the love and acceptance exhibits. (Courtesy of Rainbow Families, photo by Zhuo Xingjie)

spacer.png

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.