Male HQ

using Apple pay for MRT/Bus

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I see people just whip out their phone, place it on the reader and viola!

Whereas I have to

- unlock my phone via face ID / passcode

- double click on the side button to activate wallet

- enter passcode / face ID again

Is there any tip I dunno or people just disable passcode on their wallet?

On 6/27/2022 at 1:29 PM, Guest Guest said:

I see people just whip out their phone, place it on the reader and viola!

Whereas I have to

- unlock my phone via face ID / passcode

- double click on the side button to activate wallet

- enter passcode / face ID again

Is there any tip I dunno or people just disable passcode on their wallet?

Yes, for security, you got to do that few steps to activate your wallet. Some people disable the phone lock and authentication process for the convenience. 

But you can actually double click on the side button while your phone is locked and scan your face to activate the wallet. 

Be cool, like a breeze...

For iOS & WatchOS, there is a setting, Express Travel Card, on Wallet. This setting is not active or integrated for use on public transport in Singapore. Only certain countries, eg US, has it been integrated with the public transport payment system. This setting allowed to user to bypass the Passcode or Face ID authentication when the phone or watch is near to the payment tap point.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:32 AM, Since u r here said:

u tried?

@bwf15 is entirely right. I'm in London and my debit card in the iOS Wallet app has Express Travel Card settings. When you go to those settings to enable them the following explanation is displayed:

The card you select will work automatically without requiring Face ID or your passcode. Just hold iPhone near a supported pubic transport reader.

It works perfectly. I can simply touch my locked iPhone or Apple Watch on the card reader and the turnstile immediately opens.

Stephen

You can enable FaceID with mask with iOS 15. Just need to follow the setup guide. Then, you can unlock without taking off your mask.

Alternatively, if you have an Apple Watch, you can just double press the side button to activate the card. The latter is much faster in my opinion. 

On 7/3/2022 at 9:56 PM, FlippantMount said:

You can enable FaceID with mask with iOS 15. Just need to follow the setup guide. Then, you can unlock without taking off your mask.

Alternatively, if you have an Apple Watch, you can just double press the side button to activate the card. The latter is much faster in my opinion. 

Unfortunately, using FaceID with mask is only available on iPhone 12 phones and above. 

On 7/1/2022 at 4:37 PM, bwf15 said:

For iOS & WatchOS, there is a setting, Express Travel Card, on Wallet. This setting is not active or integrated for use on public transport in Singapore. Only certain countries, eg US, has it been integrated with the public transport payment system. This setting allowed to user to bypass the Passcode or Face ID authentication when the phone or watch is near to the payment tap point.

Tried to enable this on my debit card, didn't work. What I noticed was that Singapore's implementation of travel cards merely replaces it with payment using the credit card system. It's more convenient and secure? On the other hand I've also tried adding Japan's Suica card into my iPhone and man it is so convenient too. 

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

On 7/10/2022 at 9:13 AM, Coolbriz said:

You don’t lose out much actually. No doubt it’s new, it is pretty unstable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. At least for me. 

Ohh that’s interesting! With mask, mine works 90% of the time. Do you change your mask often? 

Tech Reviewer on Rhyn Reviews and YouTube: https://youtube.com/rhynreviews.

On 7/10/2022 at 9:02 PM, Rhyn said:

Ohh that’s interesting! With mask, mine works 90% of the time. Do you change your mask often? 

No, I don’t change my mask that frequently. Good that yours works 90% of the time. Only the usual Face ID works 99.9% of the time for me 🤔

Be cool, like a breeze...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

used to pay Bus/MRT fares using Apple Pay, but seem the money drained faster than I expected, therefore I switch to a YouTrip debit card, and right now I save a lot plus I can use the card to get the best rate on Malaysia Ringgit when paying in Malaysia! and the card has more currency you can use. it's a good debit card w ez-link and very simple top up

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 11:51 AM, begleitung said:

So is applepay or youtrip better for daily transport?

Pardon me, shouldn't it be which card gives the best benefits for daily transport?

Whichever credit / debit card that gives the best benefits and can be linked to Apple Pay / Samsung Pay / Google Pay, that will be be best isn't it?

If that particular cannot be linked to Apple Pay / Samsung Pay / Google Pay, then use the physical card.

I am not too sure about Apple Pay / Google Pay... But best combination that I can think of,

- Credit / Debit Card that can earn rebates even for top-up to prepaid card (eg. Grab)

- Link Grab to Samsung Pay

- Use Grab in Samsung Pay to pay for transport.

Will earn rebates in credit / debit card, Grab Points and Samsung Rewards Points.

Edited by thinking35

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2022 at 1:25 PM, thinking35 said:

Pardon me, shouldn't it be which card gives the best benefits for daily transport?

Whichever credit / debit card that gives the best benefits and can be linked to Apple Pay / Samsung Pay / Google Pay, that will be be best isn't it?

If that particular cannot be linked to Apple Pay / Samsung Pay / Google Pay, then use the physical card.

I am not too sure about Apple Pay / Google Pay... But best combination that I can think of,

- Credit / Debit Card that can earn rebates even for top-up to prepaid card (eg. Grab)

- Link Grab to Samsung Pay

- Use Grab in Samsung Pay to pay for transport.

Will earn rebates in credit / debit card, Grab Points and Samsung Rewards Points.

Grab can no longer be used with Samsung Pay...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.