Male HQ

Full time retire

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Is it a good idea to sell the flat and travel round the world officially declare full time retirement at age 60 since still single and  with no commitment.

Never sell away your flat unless you have other properties that you can live in somewhere.

if you have a property, you can still make use of it by having it rented out and collect rent. You can appoint someone e.g. a friend/relative/property agent, etc. to help you collect rent and to take care of overseeing your flat. If for some reason/s you had to come back, at least you still have a home and even if you have to share your flat with a tenant, you don't have to pay high rentals to rent a flat. 

Selling of flat and taking all your money out is only when you are migrating overseas and no longer want to be back. That said, you would have some retirement planned, e.g. living expenses, traveling expenses, food expenses, etc.

If your money for world travel is only from selling your flat, then you do not have enough to travel the world. And if you did not have a backup plan after your travel, you are not ready to retire and you would be a fool to not plan for your retirement and thinks that that is it.

What happens if you fall sick? who is going to take care of you, how are you being taken care of and you will have no other ways of covering your daily living expenses until you die, Your plan to travel only while you are healthy and well, but when you need a huge sum of money due to unforeseen circumstances, e.g. illness, etc. had you plan for that?

Personally, I don't you had considered all possibilities and you should NOT sell your flat and travel the world.

My 2 cents.

Edited by GachiMuchi

I would say travel as much as u can while u still have earning power,  once u retire it would be quite scary to see money go out every month without a pay cheque coming in. 

Never sell your HDB, treat it as your CPF or mybe even better, rent out and get regular income from it. "Dont kill the chicken so at least u still have eggs to eat." 

Guest Guest Coffee Pods

I retired at age 37 from full time employment and only doing casual assignments when they asked me. Age 40 I was fully retired.

Before doing any retirement plan, ensure that ur health is checked , passive income(s) and of course savings for really rainy days.

Retirement from work is a big adjustment to me or anyone. After the initial honeymoon months, if you don't plan being active

mentally and physically.... you will be screwed. You can be travelling the world but you can't do all the time unless you really had billions as

not every countries allow employment on tourist visa.

Selling ur main roof over ur head is not wise especially in SG. 

My Two Cents is be wise & practically when it coming to retirement decision.

Guest Susan

I am in my early 50.  I retired at age 42.  Not because I want to , but it just happened or evolved into such 

I quit my job, then was on contract and slowly , slow down scale down and eventually my bf persuaded me to stop working.  He has enuff and ever since we been .......... retired jo bo , travel a bit , eat a bit , laze around abit , and then from age 42 - it been so till now age 50+ 

In hindsight , he helps jump-start my retirement 

Guest Lazy Susan
On 7/5/2022 at 12:00 PM, Guest Susan said:

I am in my early 50.  I retired at age 42.  Not because I want to , but it just happened or evolved into such 

I quit my job, then was on contract and slowly , slow down scale down and eventually my bf persuaded me to stop working.  He has enuff and ever since we been .......... retired jo bo , travel a bit , eat a bit , laze around abit , and then from age 42 - it been so till now age 50+ 

In hindsight , he helps jump-start my retirement 

spacer.png

I'm unsure if Singapore is a good place to retire. The level of inflation is through the roof. Many people, especially those who are single and childless, will likely continue to work even though they will scale back a little. Many of my senior neighbors continue to work; they assist local hawkers or perform part-time office cleaning. Life was difficult, said a seller who sold tissue paper. I encouraged her to sell anything else besides tissue paper, but she said she had previously sold "toys" that were unpopular with adult groups. Then I noticed her moving between tables as no one wanted to buy her tissues. Recently, I overheard some former Daiso employees lamenting about leaving their employment because it was tough and tight job, but I suspect internal politics too. 

Young people (mostly in their 30s to 50s) opened a lot of little shops in my neighborhood. They sell crystals and other nig nag pady wat in addition to offering pet services. Over the weekend, new comers set up table to sell jewelleries and clothings..etc    Despite having poor business for them, there was peace written on their face. They enjoy having a sense of independence and being out of the office.  Without a doubt, they wound up shortly after.

It all comes down to what is sustainable for you and most importantly what you love doing.  

I worked at the Hawker Center while I was in my teens, I sold items at the flea market in my 20s, and in my 30s, I mastered the art of clay craft, which is my biggest passion. I hope to develop this pastime into a business. Though I didn't achieve much, I did end up getting grinded by office politics and a nasty boss. Numerous adventures I've taken have improved my ability to perceive my route, get to know others better, and detect harmful environments. I proceed cautiously at every turn; I am neither in full retirement mode nor do I immediately start doing all that has been suggested to me.  As a result, I wasn't a big fan of the rhetorical and constant talking of our silver spoon politicians who have no idea what hardship was. Trust is not determined by how frequently you appeared on TV or in the news.

How I retire in the future will depend on how practical I am, after having tried different journeys at a young age.  Have anyone beat me to that yet?

Edited by Why?

On 7/5/2022 at 9:29 PM, Why? said:

I'm unsure if Singapore is a good place to retire. The level of inflation is through the roof. Many people, especially those who are single and childless, will likely continue to work even though they will scale back a little. Many of my senior neighbors continue to work; they assist local hawkers or perform part-time office cleaning. Life was difficult, said a seller who sold tissue paper. I encouraged her to sell anything else besides tissue paper, but she said she had previously sold "toys" that were unpopular with adult groups. Then I noticed her moving between tables as no one wanted to buy her tissues. Recently, I overheard some former Daiso employees lamenting about leaving their employment because it was tough and tight job, but I suspect internal politics too. 

Young people (mostly in their 30s to 50s) opened a lot of little shops in my neighborhood. They sell crystals and other nig nag pady wat in addition to offering pet services. Over the weekend, new comers set up table to sell jewelleries and clothings..etc    Despite having poor business for them, there was peace written on their face. They enjoy having a sense of independence and being out of the office.  Without a doubt, they wound up shortly after.

It all comes down to what is sustainable for you and most importantly what you love doing.  

I worked at the Hawker Center while I was in my teens, I sold items at the flea market in my 20s, and in my 30s, I mastered the art of clay craft, which is my biggest passion. I hope to develop this pastime into a business. Though I didn't achieve much, I did end up getting grinded by office politics and a nasty boss. Numerous adventures I've taken have improved my ability to perceive my route, get to know others better, and detect harmful environments. I proceed cautiously at every turn; I am neither in full retirement mode nor do I immediately start doing all that has been suggested to me.  As a result, I wasn't a big fan of the rhetorical and constant talking of our silver spoon politicians who have no idea what hardship was. Trust is not determined by how frequently you appeared on TV or in the news.

How I retire in the future will depend on how practical I am, after having tried different journeys at a young age.  Have anyone beat me to that yet?

I can retire with bliss by simply reading your posts daily. I always admire a person who crafts his words well.

Guest Susan
On 7/5/2022 at 9:16 AM, NeitherHereNorThere said:

Wow... Retiring before 50 is 😱 dun even know if I can retire by 65...

If I have the money, I'll go touring too. But yes, dun sell away something that can still generate income..

Many thinks like you.  when I retired , I will go travel , but often forgot abt such 

1.  As one age, the health issue (not chronic , just the aches and pains is good to slow u ) 
2. The world issues - war, covid , terrorists and some natural deterioration (Venice is sinking) 

My advice is travel whenever you can (got time money and energy).  You never know ! 

On 7/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, Guest Susan said:

Many thinks like you.  when I retired , I will go travel , but often forgot abt such 

1.  As one age, the health issue (not chronic , just the aches and pains is good to slow u ) 
2. The world issues - war, covid , terrorists and some natural deterioration (Venice is sinking) 

My advice is travel whenever you can (got time money and energy).  You never know ! 

Agree... this is called 劳碌命 🤣🤣

Guest Susan
On 7/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, NeitherHereNorThere said:

Agree... this is called 劳碌命 🤣🤣

Is a bell curve , so is many 

So dont earn enuff retired to go holiday , do it while as and when 

Guest Susan
On 7/6/2022 at 6:48 PM, Guest Happy said:

Holiday is in your heart. If your heart happy, stay home also happy. 

you just continue stay home and be happy.  we are happy for you too 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Papaya

U must spend a lot , every mth travelling, how much yr monthly ecpenses , care to share, i wanted to retire but afraid here and there...

On 7/4/2022 at 9:12 PM, MarriedBiTop said:

I retired when i was 47 yo..

Been travelling, touring...1 month each time... 

Only becos i have savings,  and rental income

Guest Michael
On 7/17/2022 at 9:09 PM, Guest Papaya said:

U must spend a lot , every mth travelling, how much yr monthly ecpenses , care to share, i wanted to retire but afraid here and there...

Because of the word TRAVEL u assumed it has to be expensive like Europe , Nordic or USA 

There are ppl every month BKK , Viet , HK etc ... such are not expensive countries 

Also , these days travel need not be so expensive , gone are the day , one overseas calls u have to watch the minutes ! 

I retired at 58 when I realised I need time to myself. Now building my life as a lifestyle entrepreneur 3 years ago and now making headway. Should have joined earlier when I first introduced. 

Nevertheless anytime to work on your dream is a good time.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:14 PM, bi2bi69 said:

I retired at 58 when I realised I need time to myself. Now building my life as a lifestyle entrepreneur 3 years ago and now making headway. Should have joined earlier when I first introduced. 

Nevertheless anytime to work on your dream is a good time.

What is lifestyle Entrepreneur ??? please enlighten me 

While many people think of full-time retirement as a dream, do consider how you will use your time during the retirement. If you don't plan for it, you might find yourself bored out of your mind. Perhaps that is why so many retirees are such ardent keyboard warriors, either writing in forums like this, venting their frustrations.

If we do not keep using our minds, and broadening our horizons, our "world" will shrink, and so will our world-view. That is why you see so many retirees involved in petty squabbles, because their lives are only left with such insignificant bits to squabble over. If you don't want that to happen to you, make sure you keep your mind and body active. Serve in the community, travel abroad, do things to contribute to society as a whole. Then your retirement lives wouldn't be so pointless.

Слава Україні!

Guest Tomato
On 7/20/2022 at 7:09 PM, sgmaven said:

If we do not keep using our minds, and broadening our horizons, our "world" will shrink, and so will our world-view. That is why you see so many retirees involved in petty squabbles, because their lives are only left with such insignificant bits to squabble over. If you don't want that to happen to you, make sure you keep your mind and body active. Serve in the community, travel abroad, do things to contribute to society as a whole. Then your retirement lives wouldn't be so pointless.

Unfortunately, this is how Singaporeans are wired.

To begin with, Singaporeans are not exposed to thinking in a worldly, broad sense of things. Many are raised to look at issues from a petty perspective (discounts, cheap, vlaue for money etc).

Also, with the edu system which do not emphasise on reading, many never quite develop any habits of intellectual attainment.

On 7/20/2022 at 9:08 PM, Guest Tomato said:

Unfortunately, this is how Singaporeans are wired.

To begin with, Singaporeans are not exposed to thinking in a worldly, broad sense of things. Many are raised to look at issues from a petty perspective (discounts, cheap, vlaue for money etc).

Also, with the edu system which do not emphasise on reading, many never quite develop any habits of intellectual attainment.

Actually, Singaporeans are fortunate that we are very much outward-looking, with an economy based very much on international trade. Also, the average wealth of Singaporeans is not low, and many are able to travel abroad on holidays.

However, many choose not to analyse how life is like in the countries they visit, choosing only to look at the beautiful/prosperous parts.

I don't think the education does not emphasise reading, rather it does not emphasise critical analysis. We are taught to accept the facts, not question them, and learn to apply things in that environment. That is why we are so good at adapting to changes, but never seem to be able to move ahead.

Слава Україні!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.