Male HQ

Pelosi calls on Singapore businesses to support LGBTQ groups

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/pelosi-calls-on-singapore-businesses-to-support-lgbtq-groups

Bless her 😍

Please enjoy the beautiful and civilized country of Taiwan on our behalf. Oh how I miss Taiwan ...

Guest Goulash which is Very Posh
On 8/2/2022 at 9:17 PM, StockBottom said:

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/pelosi-calls-on-singapore-businesses-to-support-lgbtq-groups

Bless her 😍

Please enjoy the beautiful and civilized country of Taiwan on our behalf. Oh how I miss Taiwan ...

Hope she has a good trip to the wonderful and civilised COUNTRY of Taiwan!

On 8/2/2022 at 9:17 PM, StockBottom said:

Bless her 😍

She is expected to receive some military salute from the PRC during her trip to Taiwan also...

😂

On 8/2/2022 at 11:00 AM, doncoin said:

OHHHHHHH....   I didn't know about this interaction between Nancy Pelosi and RuPaul.   💗 💗

The support for Nancy by RuPaul and his drag queens is all I need to trust her as a champion for LGBTs,  that is,  MY champion.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:17 AM, StockBottom said:

I got to read the article you posted:

"THE US Congressional delegation led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi asked Singapore’s business groups to support the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community in the city-state, which is currently debating whether to strike down its colonial-era sodomy laws. 

The call to leaders of the business community comes as more American businesses are setting up and adding offices in the country, according to a statement issued on Monday (Aug 1) by Pelosi’s press office. There are nearly 5,500 US companies there already.

The US is also Singapore’s biggest foreign direct investor, with US$315 billion of investments, more than its investments in China, India and South Korea combined, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said last year in a speech. "

So there are nearly 5,500 US companies in Singapore !!!   And the US is also the biggest foreign investor in Singapore, with US$315 BILLION of investments !!!  And the US Speaker of the House urged Singapore's businesses to support the LGBT community !!!

So how can there be so much sickening anti-Americanism posted in this forum?  Are there so many BW posters who are also anti-Singapore and anti-gay?  YUCK,  this is sickening!

Edited by Steve5380

Guest wahahahahaha
On 8/3/2022 at 11:20 AM, Steve5380 said:

We will dry up and become zombies?   Are you speaking from experience?    wahahahahaha...

Didn't you watch how she look and walk in Taiwan airport, at night?  I thought the crews were shooting "Walking Dead" movie Part 4.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:33 PM, Guest wahahahahaha said:

Didn't you watch how she look and walk in Taiwan airport, at night?  I thought the crews were shooting "Walking Dead" movie Part 4.

We have never seen how you walk in an airport, at night.  wahahahahaha...

On 8/3/2022 at 11:30 AM, Steve5380 said:

I got to read the article you posted:

"THE US Congressional delegation led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi asked Singapore’s business groups to support the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community in the city-state, which is currently debating whether to strike down its colonial-era sodomy laws. 

The call to leaders of the business community comes as more American businesses are setting up and adding offices in the country, according to a statement issued on Monday (Aug 1) by Pelosi’s press office. There are nearly 5,500 US companies there already.

The US is also Singapore’s biggest foreign direct investor, with US$315 billion of investments, more than its investments in China, India and South Korea combined, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said last year in a speech. "

So there are nearly 5,500 US companies in Singapore !!!   And the US is also the biggest foreign investor in Singapore, with US$315 BILLION of investments !!!  And the US Speaker of the House urged Singapore's businesses to support the LGBT community !!!

So how can there be so much sickening anti-Americanism posted in this forum?  Are there so many BW posters who are also anti-Singapore and anti-gay?  YUCK,  this is sickening!

Don't pretend that the US is all altruistic about their investment in Singapore! They are only here because there is money to be made, and tax incentives to be had. I don't see US companies refusing to set up in Singapore because of their poor human rights record, do you?

Don't forget that Singapore also invests heavily in the US too (and it is also for money, but some times not). Do remember that GIC was one of the parties who helped bail banks in the US like Citi and BOA out during the financial crisis.

Слава Україні!

If we have to thank the US for all their FDI, then we also have to "thank" them for infecting so many of our Christian churches with the unforgiving bigotry against the LGBTQ+ community. The churches in Singapore used to be liberal, and were very open to marriage between a Christian and a non-Christian, so far as having pastors conduct church weddings for such couples. Now, the US conservative evangelical church has infected the theological outlook of most churches, that it no longer happens.

Слава Україні!

Following Pelosi's plea for American companies to support LGBT, our Ministry of Home Affairs issued a warning to foreigners asking them not to intervene in domestic LGBT matters.  Apparently,  America's influence is in this region is pretty dilute, unless someone in the West is still quite delusional. 

On 8/5/2022 at 6:14 PM, Why? said:

Following Pelosi's plea for American companies to support LGBT, our Ministry of Home Affairs issued a warning to foreigners asking them not to intervene in domestic LGBT matters.  Apparently,  America's influence is in this region is pretty dilute, unless someone in the West is still quite delusional. 

There seems to be some misinterpretation or comprehension error.

The MHA directed the warning to foreign businesses (whatever that is) and not to foreigners in general. Also the point was "advocacy" and not intervention in domestic LGBT matters.

MHA reminds foreign businesses in S'pore to be careful about advocacy of divisive issues like LGBT

Published  4 Aug 2022, 11:07 am SGT

SINGAPORE - Foreign businesses are reminded to be careful about advocacy on issues in Singapore that could be socially divisive, the Ministry of Home Affairs has said.

Such issues include those surrounding the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community, said the ministry in a statement on Thursday (Aug 4).

It was responding to media queries arising from United States House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's call for the business community in Singapore to support the LGBT community here as more American businesses are establishing offices in Singapore.

The ministry said that while foreign businesses are free to promote diversity in their companies, they should be careful about advocating such issues.

Mrs Pelosi also attended a reception organised by the American Chamber of Commerce in Singapore.

In a statement on the visit, she said: "We engaged with leaders of the business community and underscored the importance of public-private sector collaboration to foster strong economic growth across the region.

"We asked for their support for the LGBTQ community in Singapore, as more American businesses are establishing and adding offices in Singapore," she added.

Edited by singalion

On 8/5/2022 at 6:14 PM, Why? said:

The US can always remove the military support to Singapore... or shift business investments to other parts in SEA... 😂

Let's see then... what dilutes then...

Edited by singalion

On 8/4/2022 at 2:27 PM, sgmaven said:

If we have to thank the US for all their FDI, then we also have to "thank" them for infecting so many of our Christian churches with the unforgiving bigotry against the LGBTQ+ community. The churches in Singapore used to be liberal, and were very open to marriage between a Christian and a non-Christian, so far as having pastors conduct church weddings for such couples. Now, the US conservative evangelical church has infected the theological outlook of most churches, that it no longer happens.

You seem to be running out of evils to blame America for.   Now it is America's fault that the Christian churches in Singapore are so conservative ???

Why don't you blame Singapore's society, who is so inclined to the sanctimoniousness of conservative churches?   These churches could not prosper without followers.

Ah... and don't forget to blame America for all the fast-food stores in Singapore,  since America FORCES SINGAPOREANS to eat there!

On 8/5/2022 at 8:56 PM, Steve5380 said:

You seem to be running out of evils to blame America for.   Now it is America's fault that the Christian churches in Singapore are so conservative ???

Why don't you blame Singapore's society, who is so inclined to the sanctimoniousness of conservative churches?   These churches could not prosper without followers.

Ah... and don't forget to blame America for all the fast-food stores in Singapore,  since America FORCES SINGAPOREANS to eat there!

Don't you know that the "Christian" churches in the US have sent so many "missionaries" to Singapore to change their world view?

Of course, I forget... You don't see such things deep in the heart of Texas... Where the churches just mind their own business, and ask their parishioners to be good Christians and love everyone...

Слава Україні!

On 8/5/2022 at 7:42 AM, sgmaven said:

Politicians can say whatever they like about other countries, but if the leaders of those other countries only follow what they say, then those other countries are no longer sovereign states...

Isn't it a VIRTUE of politicians to follow what they say?   Or should they say something to get elected, and then do just the opposite?

On 8/5/2022 at 7:54 AM, sgmaven said:

Let's face it, the American companies only set up here in Singapore because of the business opportunities and favourable tax policies and incentives. Else, they would have set up in say, KL...

Maybe Singapore companies DON'T look out for business opportunities and favorable tax policies and incentives?

On 8/5/2022 at 8:00 AM, sgmaven said:

Don't you know that the "Christian" churches in the US have sent so many "missionaries" to Singapore to change their world view?

Of course, I forget... You don't see such things deep in the heart of Texas... Where the churches just mind their own business, and ask their parishioners to be good Christians and love everyone...

And do these "missionaries" have the power to force Singaporeans to believe in what they preach?

On 8/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, Steve5380 said:

Isn't it a VIRTUE of politicians to follow what they say?   Or should they say something to get elected, and then do just the opposite?

Trying to twist my words... What I said is that if Singaporean leaders only listen to the words & advice of the American politicians, then Singapore would cease to be a sovereign state!

Слава Україні!

On 8/5/2022 at 9:01 PM, Steve5380 said:

And do these "missionaries" have the power to force Singaporeans to believe in what they preach?

So, Singaporeans SHOULD listen to the likes of Pelosi, but not these missionaries? By the way, the US churches have funded so many right-wing "Christian" groups in Singapore, such as Focus on the Family...

Слава Україні!

On 8/5/2022 at 8:02 AM, sgmaven said:

Trying to twist my words... What I said is that if Singaporean leaders only listen to the words & advice of the American politicians, then Singapore would cease to be a sovereign state!

If Singaporeans would listen to the words and advice of a particular Speaker of the House,  then they would eliminate 377A in no time, and legalize same-sex marriage;.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:04 PM, Steve5380 said:

If Singaporeans would listen to the words and advice of a particular Speaker of the House,  then they would eliminate 377A in no time, and legalize same-sex marriage;.

Then I would not trust my own leaders, and call them spineless!

Слава Україні!

On 8/5/2022 at 8:04 AM, sgmaven said:

So, Singaporeans SHOULD listen to the likes of Pelosi, but not these missionaries? By the way, the US churches have funded so many right-wing "Christian" groups in Singapore, such as Focus on the Family...

Singaporeans are not forced to believe this-or-that.  You are free to believe Nancy Pelosi and support LGBTs while not paying any attention to the "missionaries" who preach falsities and fairy tales.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:06 AM, sgmaven said:

Then I would not trust my own leaders, and call them spineless!

Why not?   I didn't trust my "leader" at the time Donald Trump, and I called him and still call him an abomination.

Edited by Steve5380

On 8/5/2022 at 9:08 PM, Steve5380 said:

Why not?   I didn't trust my "leader" at the time Donald Trump, and I called him and still call him an abomination.

What I mean is that the leaders of Singapore should be independent and consider things for the good of our nation. Not to just pander to the wishes of one speaker of the House from a nation where a significant portion of their people still think that Biden stole the election from Trump.

Слава Україні!

On 8/5/2022 at 8:08 AM, sgmaven said:

So, @Steve5380is admitting that Singaporean leaders need not heed whatever Pelosi says. Advice is offered, but there is m=no compulsion for the receiving party to act on it, or even accept it

Of course!  I don't need to "admit" what should be the case in a free society!   Your leaders are not forced to heed,  and YOU should not be forced to vote for some leaders!

On 8/5/2022 at 8:10 AM, sgmaven said:

What I mean is that the leaders of Singapore should be independent and consider things for the good of our nation. Not to just pander to the wishes of one speaker of the House from a nation where a significant portion of their people still think that Biden stole the election from Trump.

Again... your leaders should be free to not give a shit about what Pelosi says,  and only act for the goodness of their constituents.  But, unfortunately, the latter is not always the case, since their first priority is to act for their own benefit.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:11 PM, Steve5380 said:

Of course!  I don't need to "admit" what should be the case in a free society!   Your leaders are not forced to heed,  and YOU should not be forced to vote for some leaders!

Of course I am not "forced" to vote for "some leaders". Voting is free in Singapore, although it is compulsory, but you are "free" to spoil your vote if you so desire. No one can stop you from exercising that freedom.

Слава Україні!

On 8/5/2022 at 9:13 PM, Steve5380 said:

Again... your leaders should be free to not give a shit about what Pelosi says,  and only act for the goodness of their constituents.  But, unfortunately, the latter is not always the case, since their first priority is to act for their own benefit.

Perhaps, that is true, that the leaders' first priority is their own benefit. At least Singaporean leaders are not really known for enriching themselves while in office, unlike so many other politicians in countries like the US. Sure, they do get paid handsomely, but they aren't really sitting back and doing silly things like stalling bills in parliament...

Слава Україні!

On 8/5/2022 at 9:12 AM, singalion said:

Not sure Pelosi is worth so much debate...

She is just the House Speaker...

Who gives so much on what speakers of Parliaments have to say...???

Oh...  you didn't know that the speaker of the house is the third most powerful person in America?   If the President and vice President are disabled, she becomes the President.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:25 AM, sgmaven said:

Perhaps, that is true, that the leaders' first priority is their own benefit. At least Singaporean leaders are not really known for enriching themselves while in office, unlike so many other politicians in countries like the US. Sure, they do get paid handsomely, but they aren't really sitting back and doing silly things like stalling bills in parliament...

I think it is universal the fact that politicians have themselves as their first priority, and try to enrich themselves.  Very few exceptions occur.

It has been my understanding that the Singapore leaders are among the best paid if not the best paid in the world.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:25 PM, sgmaven said:

At least Singaporean leaders are not really known for enriching themselves while in office, unlike so many other politicians in countries like the US

I know what you meant, however:

Maybe it depends on the perspective you look at it. What I noted is that ministers in Singapore hang on their positions for decades... Second, don't forget also to look what they do after holding office... Plenty still hold certain public functions (plural!!!) that continue paying them well...

What is common for males, they often pursued a "military" career first before becoming ministers. 

Maybe it would be good to look what they were when they started and what when they stepped down... 

Surely, you can't compare with the rampant corruption practised in surounding SEA countries...

I'm with the MHA on this one. For or against LGBTQ, this is Singapore's domestic affairs to be determined by the people of Singapore alone. We don't need intervention from a wrinkly old bitch from foreign land. She is apt to sow discord within Singapore the same way she did trying to meddl with China’s internal affairs.

I love Taiwan by the way... But let's not kid ourselves. Taiwan is self governed but it is not a "country" in the true sense of the word. 

On 8/6/2022 at 1:33 AM, singalion said:

I know what you meant, however:

Maybe it depends on the perspective you look at it. What I noted is that ministers in Singapore hang on their positions for decades... Second, don't forget also to look what they do after holding office... Plenty still hold certain public functions (plural!!!) that continue paying them well...

What is common for males, they often pursued a "military" career first before becoming ministers. 

Maybe it would be good to look what they were when they started and what when they stepped down... 

Surely, you can't compare with the rampant corruption practised in surounding SEA countries...

Contrary to your understanding, ministers and MPs are politely asked to step down after some time. As such, there aren't any 1st generation Singaporean politicians sitting in parliament. We are currently looking at the 4th generation of leadership in Singapore. With a independent history of just coming to 57 years, I think that is quite a short "tenure" compared with even "democratic" countries like the US. How long has Pelosi been in the House of Representatives? Since 1987! Some of our MPs were mere children yet to go to kindergarten when she was already in office!

Слава Україні!

On 8/5/2022 at 1:15 PM, Lycandie said:

I'm with the MHA on this one. For or against LGBTQ, this is Singapore's domestic affairs to be determined by the people of Singapore alone. We don't need intervention from a wrinkly old bitch from foreign land. She is apt to sow discord within Singapore the same way she did trying to meddl with China’s internal affairs.

I love Taiwan by the way... But let's not kid ourselves. Taiwan is self governed but it is not a "country" in the true sense of the word. 

I find that your post is unusually offensive and hateful towards a visitor from another country whom you call "a wrinkly old bitch".  Is there a personal reason you hate Nancy Pelosi so much?    

If you are gay,  are you so opposed to a visiting government official from an allied country talking in support of gays,   or do you prefer the visit from a government official from an extremist rogue country that suggests that Singapore should imprison or execute gays for violating the dictates of God?

On 8/6/2022 at 3:01 AM, sgmaven said:

Contrary to your understanding, ministers and MPs are politely asked to step down after some time. As such, there aren't any 1st generation Singaporean politicians sitting in parliament. We are currently looking at the 4th generation of leadership in Singapore. With a independent history of just coming to 57 years, I think that is quite a short "tenure" compared with even "democratic" countries like the US. How long has Pelosi been in the House of Representatives? Since 1987! Some of our MPs were mere children yet to go to kindergarten when she was already in office!

But Pelosi was never in any ministerial position. It is not uncommon that parliamentarians are 30 years in parliament. 

You can't compare Speaker functions with Ministers. 

Take Teo Chee Hean as example or Shanmugam, first minister since 1997, second since 2009. Shanmugaratnam since 2003! I can name Ng Eng Hen 2003, Balakrishnan (2004) and Gan Kim Yong (2009).

Previous governments even had longer sitting ministers. 

On 8/6/2022 at 10:46 AM, singalion said:

But Pelosi was never in any ministerial position. It is not uncommon that parliamentarians are 30 years in parliament. 

You can't compare Speaker functions with Ministers. 

Take Teo Chee Hean as example or Shanmugam, first minister since 1997, second since 2009. Shanmugaratnam since 2003! I can name Ng Eng Hen 2003, Balakrishnan (2004) and Gan Kim Yong (2009).

Previous governments even had longer sitting ministers.

I would think that if countries did have elections that placed a different party in power, that ministers would then have longer tenures. Take a look at the likes of Thatcher, who was PM of the UK for about 11 years. Her Deputy PM, Geoffrey Howe was Chancellor of the Exchequer from, 1979 to 1983, then Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs from 1983 to 1989, then Deputy PM till Thatcher stepped down.

Слава Україні!

On 8/6/2022 at 2:15 AM, Lycandie said:

We don't need intervention from a wrinkly old bitch from foreign land.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:44 AM, Steve5380 said:

I find that your post is unusually offensive and hateful towards a visitor from another country whom you call "a wrinkly old bitch". 

Steve, you are right!

How dare someone can say "wrinkled" to Pelosi, that is really an insult after all her Botox treatments that eradicated any wrinkles!

Outrageous!

I bet Pelosi will soon end as the cover girl for the next Penthouse magazine... (Do they have a MILF section?).

On 8/6/2022 at 11:44 AM, sgmaven said:

I would think that if countries did have elections that placed a different party in power, that ministers would then have longer tenures. Take a look at the likes of Thatcher, who was PM of the UK for about 11 years. Her Deputy PM, Geoffrey Howe was Chancellor of the Exchequer from, 1979 to 1983, then Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs from 1983 to 1989, then Deputy PM till Thatcher stepped down.

There have been some icons as Foreign Affairs ministers in Europe who held certain posts for extended periods.

Gromyko in Russia (1957 to 1982), Genscher for Germany (1974 to 1992), Nehru for India (16 years), there are others.

But for other ministers such extended terms as Ministers are rare (in other countries).

On 8/6/2022 at 10:44 AM, Steve5380 said:

I find that your post is unusually offensive and hateful towards a visitor from another country whom you call "a wrinkly old bitch".  Is there a personal reason you hate Nancy Pelosi so much?    

If you are gay,  are you so opposed to a visiting government official from an allied country talking in support of gays,   or do you prefer the visit from a government official from an extremist rogue country that suggests that Singapore should imprison or execute gays for violating the dictates of God?

I dislike the said visitor because she is trying to start a war in this region to gratify her own ambitions and pet hate. She endangers all of us. 

Be it a so called "allied country" or a so called "rogue country", they are both foreign powers and should not attempt to interfere with our domestic affairs. Singapore's affairs are Singaporean's to resolve. I am bi and I advocate the abolishment of 377A, but we don't need a foreign shit stirrer to speak in support of us. 

On 8/6/2022 at 3:24 PM, Lycandie said:

I dislike the said visitor because she is trying to start a war in this region to gratify her own ambitions and pet hate. She endangers all of us. 

Where did she intend to start a war?

Pelosi never intended to start any war.

That war talk was war mongering done by the PRC  and no other.

Why don't you ask yourself why the PRC has not settled the Taiwan issue in good terms since 1971?

PRC is holding military drills, peaked the language, tried to threaten other countries on what they should do or not.

And what war?

Has anyone told the PRC to hold these military drills outside Taiwan?

Taiwan is not even fighting back and ignoring all this military scenario build up by China.

If the PRC can't hold it's hands due to a visit of a House Speaker from a different country to Taiwan, what do we need to fear from the PRC then in future?

And look at the PRC action:  it will end a paper tiger, barking loud with no real power. Why did the PRC wait for the start of the military drills until Pelosi had left Taiwan? 

This makes the PRC look quite embarrassed....

It looks to me that they even did not want to fear some potential military reaction from the US or Japan...

The whole episode is just some propaganda to gather their own PRC people to support the policy of the CCP, nothing else?

The PRC should focus on how to get into terms with Taiwan instead of creating more hatred by the Taiwanese against Mainland China...

Edited by singalion

On 8/6/2022 at 3:35 PM, singalion said:

Where did she intend to start a war?

Pelosi never intended to start any war.

That war talk was war mongering done by the PRC  and no other.

Why don't you ask yourself why the PRC has not settled the Taiwan issue in good terms since 1971?

PRC is holding military drills, peaked the language, tried to threaten other countries on what they should do or not.

And what war?

Has anyone told the PRC to hold these military drills outside Taiwan?

Taiwan is not even fighting back and ignoring all this military scenario build up by China.

If the PRC can't hold it's hands due to a visit of a House Speaker from a different country to Taiwan, what do we need to fear from the PRC then in future?

And look at the PRC action:  it will end a paper tiger, barking loud with no real power. Why did the PRC wait for the start of the military drills until Pelosi had left Taiwan? 

This makes the PRC look quite embarrassed....

It looks to me that they even did not want to fear some potential military reaction from the US or Japan...

The whole episode is just some propaganda to gather their own PRC people to support the policy of the CCP, nothing else?

The PRC should focus on how to get into terms with Taiwan instead of creating more hatred by the Taiwanese against Mainland China...

Sorry I don't intend to get into a discussion with you on this matter. Its clear our opinions are vastly different and we can never convince each other. Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that. 

Edited by Lycandie

On 8/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, singalion said:

I bet Pelosi will soon end as the cover girl for the next Penthouse magazine... (Do they have a MILF section?).

Heaven forbid that! 😱 She will say its China’s fault that she got taken down from Penthouse's centrefold.

On 8/6/2022 at 2:57 AM, Lycandie said:

Heaven forbid that! 😱 She will say its China’s fault that she got taken down from Penthouse's centrefold.

It is already remarkable that she will make it to the center fold of Penthouse at ...  82 years of age!   And the PRC regime has shown that they don't have any respect for ladies, especially the senior ones!  :huh:

On 8/6/2022 at 3:57 PM, Lycandie said:

But they lit her up in bright colours at Taipeh 101... Xi had no choice as to fire multiple rocket launchers Stalin type into the night sky in an vain  attempt to distract from the shining letters on Taipeh 101...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.