Male HQ

Original superhero story based in SG

lukecat

Luke always admired Jon for his physical abilities. Although Jon was only 175cm, he was one of the top basketball players in their university. Luke excelled in science and maths, which made him one of the top students in their bio-engineering course and a favourite of their professors. Luke felt lucky to have become friends with Jon. As a geeky, skinny dude, the jocks always shunned him in secondary school and some even bullied him. 

It was during orientation camp, Luke and Jon found out that they could get along really well. During that phase, Jon had just broken up with this girlfriend and Luke always found time to lend a listening ear to him. Luke found that Jon was an empathetic and funny soul who never failed to make him laugh despite his heartbreak. While they don’t have much in common — one’s a jock, the other a nerd — they found their paths starting to merge more in their first year of university. Jon had always been weak in his academics and Luke, being the kind soul that he is, offered to tutor Jon for free. 

However, as things go, they got busy during the course of school over the last three years. And it was a conversation with Professor Lim that brought Jon up in Luke’s memory.

“We’re at the last phase of project Yellow Saviour,” the professor said. 

“Uh huh,” Luke replied. “Took us long enough.”

The professor laughed. “You’re always so impatient. You know inventions and breakthroughs can often take decades? You’re lucky to have joined us towards the tail end of this. Well, it’s time.”

There was a pause. Luke continued, “Time… for?”

“Well we have to find the right candidate to be Yellow Saviour!”

“Right, right.” All the sleepless nights had left Luke in a daze. It was close to 11pm in the university lab, and Luke was ready to go to bed. 

The professor, excited at his breakthroughs continued as if it wasn’t pitch black outside. “So do you have anyone in mind? You know, someone we talked about previously, athletic and willing and most importantly, can keep his mouth shut without sharing about our project online.”

This was when Jon came to Luke’s mind. Luke replied, “I have someone in mind. It’s been a while but I’ll see if he’s willing.”

“Right.” The professor understood Luke was tired and sent him off with a wink. “I’ll let you go tonight, get some rest. You’ll need it.”

It was Tuesday at 5pm, the afternoon sun was blazing through the angsana trees. From a distance, Luke saw a familiar silhouette. Jon was wearing his typical attire, a pair of white basketball shorts and a navy blue athletic tee. It had been almost a year since they met each other in person; their interactions had been reduced to texting and the occasional social media exchange. Jon’s familiar smile brightened Luke’s day, despite looking dishevelled and unshaven. Luke, dressed in a formal shirt and pants because he had come back from a meeting in town, shook Jon’s hand in an awkward manner. 

“Why the formality?” Jon questioned.

“Corporate culture gets to you,” Luke replied with a shrug. “How’s things?” 

“It’s not been great honestly, I’m really struggling with my studies and the usual girlfriend problems.” 

“Two things I could’ve easily helped with,” Luke responded.

Jon shaked his head. “I know Luke, you’ve always been there for me. But we’re adults now, we have to face our own problems. Plus I know you’re really busy with your research and work. How’re you?”

“You’re right. Work, work, work, that’s all been in my mind.”

“Yeah, I can tell, from your eyebags.”

“You’re not looking too good yourself, Mr Top Basketball Player.” Luke glared right at Jon’s belly. 

“Bro… I know. All that stress has been making me out of shape. Plus, I had to give up basketball because studies are becoming more important. I just feel out of balance, you know? But I’m really trying my best.”

Luke took the chance for his pitch. “So I’ve been working on something that you could be a part of and hopefully, it’ll inspire you to regain your physicality.” 

Jon’s eyes brightened. The past year had been a haze for him and this might just be the break he needed. He shot Luke an expression that seemed to say, tell me more. 

“Unfortunately,” Luke continued, “it’s top secret and I can’t share much with you until you’ve signed some disclosure forms. But you’re basically committing to becoming our guinea pig.”

Jon replied, “That sounds… scary?”

“It is!” Luke and Jon both broke out in laughter and they forgot about the seriousness of what’s about to come, for the moment. After they settled down, Jon started to show signs of nervousness. Luke then said, “I’ll let Professor Lim tell you more. Come with me to the lab.”

Luke pushed the lab door open and he saw Professor Lim in his usual white lab coat hunched over a computer. The professor did not realise they had entered and Luke proceeded to yell, “Your test subject is here!” 

The professor scrambled to get up as he was deep in his work, knocking his leg on the table. He put on his pair of thick black-rimmed glasses and forced a smile, to look friendlier. The professor exclaimed once he saw the candidate, “I remember you, Jon!” 

Their familiarity made the introduction way less awkward, not that Luke could be counted on to do a proper introduction. But Jon had taken a class with Professor Lim in his second year. In his typical fashion, Jon had a bad attitude towards the class and didn’t do too well. Jon thought, “This could be a chance to bump up my grades.”

“If I knew you were going to bring me one of my students, I would’ve just picked Justin the football captain,” Professor Lim said jokingly. “I didn’t know you both were friends.”

Luke replied, “Based on my understanding, Jon fits the profile we are looking for and most importantly, I trust him.” 

“And I trust you,” the professor said before turning around to grab his clipboard. “Sign this and we can get on with it.”

For reasons unknown to him, Jon’s heart was racing a tad faster. The whole situation seemed extremely out of the ordinary. What was he getting himself into? For some reason, the air conditioning of the lab was turned way down and beads of sweat formed on his forehead. 

Luke motioned Jon to sit on a swivel chair and the professor walked back. Professor Lim was more handsome than Jon had remembered, his hair neatly side-parted and his teeth were perfect. And despite wearing a lab coat, Jon could make out the professor’s well-defined body. That and also the professor was a forehead taller than him. 

The professor began to explain, “Well, Luke and I have been working hard on this project, dubbed the Yellow Saviour. The name’s really a joke and we’ll get to it later. But by signing this, you agree to keep all our conversations and experiments top secret and be diligent in reporting to me. Although I know diligence isn’t your strongest suit.” Professor Lim laid his hand on Jon’s shoulder to reassure him, and Jon felt the strong grip. 

Jon wasn’t one to read stacks of papers so he blindly signed the contract with a slight hesitation. But with the two familiar figures present, he didn’t think that anything could go awry. Having seen the signature on the dotted line, the professor let out a wide grin and went on to explain the details of the experiment. 

“Luke and I have been working on boosting the athletic performance of individuals, through various methods. To keep it simple, it’s like the super soldier serum in Captain America, which I’m sure you’re familiar with?”

Jon nodded while trying to contain the excitement he had of the possibility that he could be a superhero. He sat up straight.

The professor continued his speech, “I’d told Luke to find someone trustworthy and athletic…”

“But wasn’t the point of Captain America so that he was weak and became an enhanced being?” Jon interrupted, unable to contain his excitement any longer. So many questions were running through his mind. 

“If you wouldn’t interrupt me, I was getting to that,” the professor replied, annoyed. “Well, the Captain America example was just a simplified analogy for you. There were many things we needed to consider, and safety was of utmost importance to us. Based on our initial tests with mice, we felt that it’d be best to pick somebody with a certain level of athletic ability. And I do remember you looking a lot fitter than this.”

Shame began to wash over Jon’s excitement, making him slouch a little in his chair, when just moments ago, he sat upright at the prospect of being a superhero like Captain America.

“Sorry, I let myself go,” Jon mumbled. 

“It’s no big deal. I doubt someone at your age could have deteriorated that much over a few short years. But let’s run some diagnostics to make sure. Luke, set up the diagnostic machine.”

Luke motioned Jon to come with him. “Take off your clothes, Jon.”

Jon readily got up and removed his shirt, both Luke and the professor tried to hide their expression after seeing how a perky belly had replaced what used to be washboard abs on Jon. Luke took Jon’s navy shirt and the smell of sweat hit Luke, a smell he was well-acquainted with, spending many afternoons tutoring Jon, after basketball practice. Jon proceeded to remove his shoes, socks and shorts, revealing an army green pair of briefs that looked too small for him. Before Jon could take the briefs off, Luke motioned him to keep them on, to Jon’s relief.

• 2 weeks later...

trying out a new plot

---

Silver Falcon hopped off the Swift Chartered Bank building to escape his foes. Usually, it’s him hunting the criminals in Pearl City, but today, he was the hunted. As Pearl City’s most revered superhero, he has made his fair share of enemies — Hypnostar, Poison Moth, Jack-O-Lantern — to name a few. But this time around, he was given chase by a group of three assassins dressed in black, whom he dubbed as the Ninjas. Blood trickled from his calf due to an injury sustained by a ninja star that had lodged deep when the Ninjas launched their surprise attack on the hero. The Falcon’s wings broke the impact of the fall, as he tumbled across a quiet street in the Central Business District, now void of pedestrians as it was way past midnight.

I better get out of here, and fast, Silver Falcon thought as he felt waves of pain enveloping his body from the injury. He knew that there was no way he could fend off the three well-trained assassins in his current weakened state. He propped himself up by his wings and looked for a dark alley to disappear into, in case the Ninjas caught up. As he stumbled around the corner, his greatest fears were realised.

“Not so fast birdy,” a dark figure bellowed. For the first time, the Falcon was able to get a close up look at one of the Ninjas who managed to get to ground level as quickly as him. Dressed head to toe in black, with his beady eyes visible from a slit in his mask, the villain stood over the hero menacingly, a baton in his gloved hands. His costume was stamped with intricate, embroidered patterns that resemble oriental tattoos. Without skipping a beat, the Ninja attempted to strike the Falcon across the face, only to be blocked by the hero’s left wing. Undeterred, the assassin raised his weapon again and this time, the wing cracked under his blow, leaving shards on the floor.

“Stop it!” A voice came from a distance, followed by the shuffle of footsteps. A man in a pink shirt and dark jeans lunged at the Ninja, pushing him to the ground and the Ninja lost grip of his baton, which then rolled off to the side. Picking himself up, the Falcon mustered all of his strength and piled onto the two figures who were tussling on the ground. Drawing on his years of experience in close combat, the Falcon managed to beat the Ninja up, who was now without the advantage of a weapon. The man in the pink shirt saw the opportunity to pick up the baton, now within grasp, and utilised it to deal an extra blow to the assassin. He was surprised to find out that the baton seemed to be equipped with something that stunned its victims on top of the strike. Knowing he was unable to keep up, Silver Falcon grabbed the stranger by his armpits and flapped his now-damaged wings, lifting a few metres in the air and then landing on their feet, creating some distance between them both and the attacker. The Ninja, seeing that his weapon had been stolen from him, turned around and escaped into the darkness of the night.

Under the glow of neon signs in the Central Business District, Silver Falcon knelt down to the floor in fatigue and muttered, “Thank you for saving me young man.”

“No worries,” replied the stranger, an office worker who had stayed late at his office. “I’m Lucas.”

“Nice to meet you Lucas, it could’ve been my last night out here on the streets.”

“Shall we go somewhere safe and see how to get you back on your feet?” 

“I think these are damaged, but if I can somehow tilt my weight, I think we can still fly,” Silver Falcon said, while flapping his wings. He bear-hugged Lucas again and they took off into the air. With Lucas’ directions, both men landed at a park near Lucas’ apartment, taking a rest at a vacant bench. 

“Since I was a teenager, I always wanted to be like you,” Lucas said and his eyes seemed to sparkle behind his black glasses. He casually put his backpack on his lap as he admired his favourite superhero up close. Despite his beaten up state, the superhero looked no less majestic in his eyes, with the Falcon’s silvery feathers glowing under the street lamps of the park. 

Silver Falcon gave Lucas a salute. “I owe you one, boy.” And he walked away, limping into the distance. Lucas understood the importance of a hero’s secret identity and gave him the space he needed to disappear anonymously, despite feeling concerned for his injured calf.

Although it was 3am, the adrenaline from the fight prevented Lucas from feeling sleepy. He pulled out the black baton from his backpack and examined it under the moonlight. It was his souvenir from his unforgettable night. 

Lucas listened to his boss drone on about last year’s financials. He was locked in a meeting room with his team and started to feel lunch hit his blood stream, and staying awake became difficult. He swirled his coffee that had turned cold in his mug and started to let his imagination go wild about the type of hero he would be. Probably something cool like Nightwalker, errr no, maybe not, I’m not the dark type of hero, Lucas thought and fantasized about how he would create a matching suit to pair with his new totem of power, the Ninja’s baton. What if I called myself the White Ninja? You know, to differentiate myself from the evil ones who were after Silver Falcon, he thought.

“Lucas?” It was his line manager, Ms Lee who interrupted Lucas’ train of thought. “What do you think about this proposal?”

Lucas looked around nervously, his teammates shot him judgmental glances which gave him a bout of anxiety. He was caught the exact moment he had lost track of what the meeting was going on about. “I’m sorry,” he blurted out as he felt blood rush to his cheeks. “I missed the last part.”

“Come see me after this,” Ms Lee sternly responded and the office fell silent. 

For the rest of the day, Lucas struggled to complete his work, feeling the fatigue of last night’s prowling. After he had picked up the Ninja’s baton, Lucas had been patrolling random streets in the dead of night hoping to catch some criminal red-handed. It was probably due to all the comic books he had read growing up and his life-changing encounter with Silver Falcon that had set him down this path. Putting himself in danger’s way seemed like a small price to pay for rediscovering meaning in his life as he was feeling jaded from the mundanity of an office job. Besides, he placed plenty of confidence in the somewhat magical baton he found that delivered beyond a whack on the head. It seemed like the perfect starting weapon for an upcoming hero. 

After he got a dressing down from Ms Lee and the usual threats of demoting him, Lucas spent the rest of the day secretly sketching his costume on printing paper, hiding his artwork whenever someone in the office walked past. After a gruelling five hours after the meeting, the work day had winded down and the office was now mostly empty. Lucas changed into black running tights and packed up his belongings, ready for another night of prowling. He stopped by the nearby 7-11 for a sandwich to fill his tummy up, a hero’s got to eat. He sat down at the edge of the curb finishing up his dinner when he heard screams coming from the distance. Immediately, Lucas sprang up and adrenaline filled his body. Rushing towards the direction of the scream, Lucas saw what was happening. A man was smacking an office lady on the cheeks. 

“Stop hitting her,” Lucas commanded before surging forward to grab the man’s arm. However, Lucas underestimated the strength of a man in rage and got flung to the side of the street. “Mind your own damn business!” The man responded.

Picking himself up, Lucas quickly drew his baton that he had created a makeshift holder for, on his right thigh. He dashed straight to the man and hit him on the waist, causing the man to howl in pain. The man fell writhing on the floor as if he was just hit by a car. Lucas was stunned at the power of the baton and the woman who was being attacked, hopped over to the man to help him up and screamed again. “What did you do to my boyfriend!”

Lucas did not know how to react but his first instinct was to run as he was only disguised in a cloth mask that covered his nose and mouth, and a cap. However, he ran straight into a blue figure standing right behind him. The figure grabbed Lucas by the arm, disallowing him to dash from the scene. “Where are you going, young man?”

“You’re mistaken,” Lucas mumbled before taking a good look at who was holding onto him. Although Lucas did not recognise him, based on the way he was dressed, Lucas knew he had run into a superhero. The man was covered in a wrestling mask, with cutouts for his eyes and mouth while his wavy blonde hair was neatly done up. His suit was a bright blue, accentuated with a gold belt and his chest was stamped with an insignia of a gold hawk. His red cape wavered slightly as a breeze filled the street. 

Hawkboy pushed Lucas to the ground and stepped on his back, making Lucas scream out in pain. “Thank you for saving us from this violent person,” the woman said as she helped her boyfriend up. “Get going. I’ll deal with him,” Hawkboy commanded.

Lucas howled again as a slap landed on his cheek. He was then picked up by Hawkboy and thrown against the wall. Pain erupted on his back, Lucas instinctively pulled out his baton, awaiting for Hawkboy to attack again. “Pearl City needs to be rid of scum like you,” Hawkboy grumbled before dashing towards Lucas.

Instead of reasoning with the superhero, Lucas knew he had to do something to protect himself. He hid his baton underneath his armpit and as Hawkboy approached, Lucas pulled it out so Hawkboy’s punch would land precisely on the baton’s tip. Upon contact, a boom filled the vicinity and Hawkboy flew three metres back, landing facedown. This was the perfect opportunity for Lucas to explain what had happened earlier, but instead, he felt aggrieved by the attack and decided to take this opportunity to teach Hawkboy a lesson. Lucas adjusted his cap that had loosened from the encounter and walked slowly towards the fallen hero who was now moaning in pain. 

Hawkboy managed to flip himself around, now lying on his red cape. Lucas observed that a wound had formed near the hero’s mouth, probably from scraping the pavement and his gold hawk insignia no longer shimmered as it was covered by dust. Hawkboy clambered up weakly, still stunned from the baton’s power but Lucas was confident he could win this. In fact, Lucas’ mind started going a million places, strategising how he could defeat Hawkboy. 

“What’s your name?” Lucas asked through his covered mouth.

“Hawkboy. What were you trying to do?” The hero expressed while holding up his hands defensively. 

Before Lucas could reply, Hawkboy shot up three metres into the air, surprising Lucas, and landed behind and bear-hugged him. “Alright, I surrender. Let’s stop this madness now,” Lucas said while gripping onto his baton tighter. “I thought the woman was in trouble, hence I reached out to help her.” 

Hearing this, Hawkboy loosened his grip while still holding onto Lucas. “I see.”
“Well, since you’re here,” Lucas continued. “Tell me more about who you are. I’d like to be a hero myself.”

Feeling his ego stroked, Hawkboy let go of Lucas completely. “My father gave me this belt. It allows me to move swiftly and to jump far higher than a normal human being.”

“Who trained you and gave you the skills you needed to be a hero?” Lucas asked and turned around to see the hero beaming while stroking his gold belt. 

“It was a lot of self-training in all sorts of martial arts and once, I helped Red Tornado fend off a horde of mutants. And he took me under his wing.”

Lucas’ eyes beamed and he let down his guard. A moment of silence passed between the two men before Lucas asked, “Do you mind being my mentor? I really want to be a hero like you.”

Hawkboy paused to wipe the wound near his mouth. A wind caught his cape and made him look every part a hero and Lucas looked admiringly at him, hoping for a positive answer. The hero took a step towards Lucas and patted him on the shoulder, “My friend, just because you have a weapon, it doesn’t turn you into a hero.”

Hawkboy bent his knees, ready to leap away after his disappointing answer, but something came across Lucas and made him grab his red cape. Stunned by the sudden show of force, Hawkboy remarked, “What the…” But before he knew it, Lucas jabbed the baton in the centre of his chest, making Hawkboy crumble to the ground, paralysed. Lucas then swiftly bent down and unbuckled Hawkboy’s belt. As Hawkboy awakened from the shock, he tried to stop Lucas only to have the baton jammed in his crotch. The hero howled in pain as Lucas lowered his cap and ran into the distance, gold belt in hand. 

“Hawkboy” Lucas typed into Bing, the world’s foremost search engine. A Superbeings Wiki page topped the list of articles that popped up, including the usual run-of-the-mill superhero reports that appeared in headlines. Since superbeings populated Pearl City about seven years ago, the general

• 11 months later...

The experiment

The angsana trees that lined Singapore National University’s roads provided respite from the sweltering afternoon sun as Marcus trudged uphill towards the Biomedical Science department. Two days prior, he had received a Whatsapp message from a Dr Li who apparently received his contact from his army buddy, Daniel. Dr Li had contacted Marcus for a paid experiment regarding athletic enhancing drugs. In exchange for his willing participation, Marcus would be paid $1,200 across the duration of the experiment. 

Marcus peeked at his watch, 3.30pm, as he wiped the sweat beads from his brow with the back of his hand. Dressed casually in Uniqlo T-shirt and jeans, Marcus hunted for laboratory 31 on the faculty map. Marcus shot Dr Li a text as he approached the bright blue doors of the lab, and within seconds, the door cracked open to reveal a bespectacled man in a neatly pressed striped shirt and khakis. 

“Marcus. Dr Li here,” introduced the man. 

Marcus gave a forced grin and entered the lab. Dr Li explained, “Just place your bag on the counter, read through the non-disclosure and liability-waiver forms and get them signed. Then I’ll brief you on what’s going to happen.” 

Not being one to read, Marcus scanned the thick set of papers looking for anything out of the ordinary. However, the long passages of legal jargon left him more confused than clear. As he was perusing the cluttered text and taking some time to observe his surroundings, a familiar voice emerged from the curtained-off area at the back of the lab. 

“Dr Li, I think I’m ready.” 

The curtain peeked open and a young man dressed in an army singlet and running shorts emerged with his hair neatly combed to the side. The man strode quickly, mumbling to himself with a clipboard in hand, before looking up.

“Marcus!” The man exclaimed.

Marcus took a long glance at the man and realised he was none other than his army buddy, Daniel. It had been a good five years since they had last seen each other and Daniel looked like a completely different man. He looked more muscular, perhaps even taller and the acne he had struggled with during their outfield training had cleared up, leaving behind only a few scant scars. 

Marcus muttered, “You look good. It’s been a while, man.”

“Yes! I thought of our conversations all those years ago about how you always wanted to be more athletic, so I thought you’d be the perfect candidate for this.”

At this point, Dr Li expressed, “Are you done with the forms? I haven’t got all day.”

Spurred by Dr Li’s impatience, Marcus took another quick scan at the forms’ never ending list of sentences and sloppily signed where the tabs indicated ‘To sign’. As he handed the forms over to Dr Li, the professor rambled on, “By signing this you will in no way hold me or Singapore National University liable for any unwanted outcomes of the experiment and you are agreeing to keep all discussions and information obtained from the experiment, titled Agent B3, top secret. You will not reveal anything to anyone under any circumstances.”

It seemed like Dr Li’s friendly demeanour had left him and Marcus nervously nodded, eager to find out what was going to happen next. There was an awkward silence in the room as Dr Li checked on the forms before a friendly smile broke out on his face again. 

The doctor continued, “So Marcus, my guinea pig, you’ve signed up for Agent B3. We’ve been working on ways on enhancing the athletic abilities of male candidates based on a secret formulation, B3. But don’t worry, we’re maintaining the highest standards of medical safety. For a start, we’ll have you ingest B3 in a pill form and if your body responds well, we can move on to other forms.”

Marcus replied, almost without thought, “What other forms?”

“Well, you’ll find out. Or we might discharge you, depending.” 

“Okay,” Marcus muttered, feeling as if he had no autonomy in this experiment anyway. 

Dr Li led Marcus to a room adjacent to the lab where there was a steel table and a small sink. “Please change into this,” Dr Li said, handing Marcus a hospital gown. “And lie down on the table. I will come back with the pill.”

Daniel smirked cheekily. “I hope you’re excited, we’ve been working on this for a long while.”

Marcus removed his top and jeans, revealing his cheap, red briefs and replied, “I’m kind of nervous. Also, will there be any side effects?”

“There might be some headaches and muscle aches,” Daniel explained. “But nothing life threatening or damaging, we’re trying to go slow with this to ensure the safety of our candidates.”

“Candidates?” Marcus asked, while raising an eyebrow.

Before Daniel could reply, Dr Li shot an impatient glance at Marcus which got him fumbling his hospital gown on. Then, the professor returned with a bright green pill and a glass of water. Meanwhile, Daniel started hooking Marcus up to some sophisticated equipment and a series of beeps filled the room. 

Marcus felt a sense of unease creep up. He was about to ingest something he knew nothing about and he had signed a waiver without fully comprehending the consequences. But then, he found comfort from the presence of his army buddy.

He lay down on the steel table as Dr Li placed a firm hand on his shoulder and egged Marcus to take the pill and water. As Marcus took the pill, he felt a tingling sensation in his mouth, which spread throughout his body. His muscles twitched involuntarily, causing him to grip the table. It felt as though every fibre of his being was being stretched and pulled apart, and he felt a strong sense of nausea.

Before he knew it, he shot upright into a sitting position on the table, wanting to vomit, he looked around frantically in the lab that seemed so foreign and cold. However, Daniel was already right by his side and held a red bucket up to his face, while gently stroking his back. The contents of Marcus’ breakfast ended up in the bucket and he felt relieved.

“Nothing out of the ordinary,” Daniel whispered assuringly. 

The room started to spin and Dr Li placed both his hands on Marcus’ shoulders. “Give it ten minutes,” the professor confidently proclaimed. “All will be fine and Daniel is going to run some tests on you. Keep in touch with him when you get home.”

Marcus felt his heart rate increase, and his breathing became shallow as he lay on the table, feeling like he was running a marathon. Daniel and Dr Li watched him intently, making notes and checking the screens of the equipment hooked up to him. Marcus could see them through his hazy vision, and he wondered what they were looking at.

After a few minutes, the sensation began to fade, and Marcus felt his muscles start to relax. He sat up slowly, feeling a little dizzy, and looked at the two men. "What was that?" he asked.

Dr Li smiled. "That was the B3. It's a special formulation that we've been working on for a while now. It's designed to enhance your athletic abilities and give you a boost of energy."

Marcus felt a rush of excitement. "Did it work? Am I faster? Stronger?"

"We'll need to do some tests to see," Daniel said, looking at his clipboard. "But from what we can tell, you had a strong reaction to the B3. That's a good sign."

Dr Li nodded. "We'll need you to come back for a few more sessions, so we can monitor your progress and make the necessary adjustments. But from what we've seen so far, we're optimistic."

Marcus felt a surge of adrenaline as he thought about the possibilities. He had always wanted to be more athletic, to be able to run faster, jump higher, and push his body to the limit. And now, with the help of the B3, it seemed like he might be able to do just that. But as Marcus threw on his shirt and jeans, he couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had been gnawing at his gut after he signed the waiver. 

But as the days passed, Marcus began to feel the side effects of the drug. He suffered from severe headaches and bouts of nausea. He felt as though he was constantly on edge, as though his senses were heightened to a dangerous degree.

One night, while he was out for a jog, he felt a sudden surge of adrenaline, as though he was being chased by something. He looked around but there was nothing. And then, he heard a scream. He followed the sound to a dark alley, where he saw a group of men attacking a young woman.

Without thinking, Marcus leapt into action. He moved with an agility and speed that he had never experienced before. He knocked the attackers aside with ease and rescued the woman.

The young woman was shaken and scared, but Marcus reassured her that she was safe now. He called the police and stayed with her until they arrived. As he watched the men being taken away in handcuffs, he couldn't help but feel a mix of pride and fear. Pride for being able to protect someone in need, but fear because he didn't recognize the person he had become.

The Confidant

Over the next few days, Marcus noticed that his emotions were becoming more intense. He felt bursts of anger and euphoria that he couldn't control. It was as if the B3 was amplifying not only his physical abilities but also his emotions.

He decided to confide in his female friend, Anne, whom he knew from secondary school. They met at her chic studio in Tanjong Pagar, where she was working on her latest collection while dressed in a revealing red dress and Chanel heels. 

Anne listened to Marcus tell her about the experiment while snipping away at bales of fabric, and flickering the mouse of her iMac. As Marcus spilled out the details of meeting with Dr Li and Daniel, the drug, and his concerns, Anne asked probing questions, trying to understand the full extent of the situation. When he finished catching her up, she sat back on her velvet couch, deep in thought while twirling her scissors. 

"Marcus, this sounds both fascinating and alarming," she said finally. "It's clear that the drug has had a significant impact on your body and mind. While the physical enhancements may seem appealing, you can't ignore the potential dangers of altering your physiology so drastically."

"I know," Marcus replied, running his hand through his hair. "I feel like I'm on an emotional rollercoaster, and I'm not sure how much longer I can handle it."

His friend reached out and placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "You need to prioritise your well-being, Marcus. I understand the allure of becoming more athletic, but not at the expense of your mental and emotional stability. Have you spoken to Dr Li or Daniel about these side effects?"

Marcus nodded. "Yes, but they seem to downplay it, saying it's just a temporary adjustment phase and that it will get better with time. Besides, I quite like becoming the athlete I always wanted, without having to train so rigorously. Heck, I could definitely beat KaiCheng on the track if we were to race right now."

The old friends laughed spontaneously as they remembered their jock friend who excelled in anything sports-related but really sucked in his academics. Marcus was always the intelligent one and now it seemed like he had the best of both worlds, with the help of B3. However, the light-hearted moment quickly faded as Anne's expression turned serious. 

"Marcus, you need to be careful. Experimenting with drugs, especially ones that have not been thoroughly tested, can be dangerous. How about seeking a second opinion from a medical professional who is not involved in this experiment?”

She pulled out her phone and started looking up information. "I have a friend who is a doctor at a reputable private hospital. I'll see if he can spare some time to talk to you. In the meantime, I strongly advise you to stop taking the B3 until you get a clearer picture of what's going on with your body."

Marcus nodded, realising that he needed to take this matter more seriously. He thanked his friend for her concern and willingness to help. They went for ice cream at the nearby cafe before bidding each other farewell. 

Over the next few days, Marcus abstained from taking any more B3 pills and felt some of the intensity of his emotions starting to subside. One day, Marcus received an unexpected call from Dr Li. "Marcus, it’s been over a month we’d like you to come back to the lab for further testing with regards to the effects of B3," the professor said.

"Honestly Dr Li, I need to tell you something. Recently I stopped taking the B3," Marcus replied with a shaky voice. There was a deafening silence at the end of the line, before Dr Li replied, "Then all the more, we need to monitor."

Marcus felt a surge of apprehension as he sensed a hidden agenda in Dr. Li's insistence. "Why do you need to monitor me if I've stopped taking the B3?" Marcus asked cautiously.

Dr Li hesitated before responding, "It's essential for us to understand how your body is reacting after stopping the drug. We want to ensure that there are no long-term side effects and that your health remains stable. It’s primarily out of concern for your health, Marcus."

Although Marcus couldn't shake off the feeling that Dr. Li was withholding something, he knew he needed to be cautious in his response considering all the forms he had signed. "I'll consider it," he said diplomatically, unwilling to commit just yet.

Meanwhile, Marcus decided to take up Anne's offer and sought a second opinion from her recommended doctor. After dialling the number Anne had sent along, an appointment was scheduled within the same week. He did not know if the quick appointment was because he had mentioned Anne’s name or that his case had sounded quite unbelievable, but he was certainly relieved the wait was not too long.

The Consultation

On the day of the appointment, Marcus rode his brother’s bike to Piers Hospital. It was his first time in a private hospital as he usually frequented public ones. The receptionist in a chic grey uniform ushered Marcus into the waiting room, and he felt a mix of anticipation and nervousness. 

The polished marble floors and elegant furnishings created an atmosphere of professionalism and expertise. He fidgeted with the edge of a magazine on the coffee table, thinking that this felt more like a posh hote than a hospital and started to worry about the fees, something that did not cross his mind at first, because Anne had recommended the doctor.  

Finally, a nurse appeared and called his name. "Mr Marcus Lim?"

He stood up and followed her down a pristine hallway, passing through a series of doors until they reached Dr Tan's office. The door was ajar, and the nurse motioned for him to go inside. "Dr Tan is waiting for you."

As Marcus entered, he was greeted by a warm and welcoming space, decorated with paintings and diplomas adorning the walls. Behind the large wooden desk sat Dr Tan, a well-dressed man with a chiselled jaw who exuded a calm and reassuring demeanour.

"Hello, Marcus," Dr Tan said with a gentle smile, extending his hand. "I'm Dr Tan Wei Ming. Please, have a seat."

Marcus shook his hand and settled into the comfortable blue velvet chair opposite the doctor's desk. He noticed that Dr. Tan's office had a calming effect, which eased some of his nerves.

"I've heard from Anne, that you're concerned about the effects of a drug you've been experimenting with," Dr Tan began, flipping through the file on his desk. "Can you tell me more about the drug and your experiences with it?"

Marcus proceeded to recount his journey with the B3 experiment, beginning with the consultation at Singapore National University. He explained in detail the side effects he had experienced, and the emotional rollercoaster he had been on. Dr Tan listened attentively, occasionally jotting down notes. But when Dr Li’s name was mentioned, it seemed that Dr Tan looked up from his notes as if wanting to say something, but immediately held back.

Marcus paused, sensing that Dr Tan had some opinions about Dr Li but Dr Tan continued to look down at his notes and nodded before breaking the silence. 

"It's clear that this B3 drug has had a significant impact on your body and emotions," Dr. Tan remarked, his expression empathetic. "It's commendable that you sought a second opinion. Experimenting with unknown drugs can be risky, especially when they haven't been thoroughly studied."

Marcus nodded, grateful for the validation of his concerns. "Yes, that's why I decided to stop taking it until I get a better understanding of the risks involved."

Dr Tan nodded approvingly. "That was a wise decision. Your health should always be a priority. Now, let's discuss the medical assessment we'll conduct to better understand the drug's effects on your body."

Over the next hour, Dr Tan assured Marcus that the thorough assessment would provide valuable insights into the impact of B3 on his physiology. As Dr Tan droned on, Marcus started to feel nervous about all the tests that would probably amount to a huge sum in such a posh hospital. He could not hold his worry back any longer and interrupted. “Dr Tan, I’m afraid I might not be able to afford this. I’m just assuming, seeing how premium this hospital looks.”

Upon hearing Marcus’ worry, Dr Tan leaned back in his chair and chuckled. “Don’t worry, I won’t be charging you anything.”

Startled by his reply, Marcus blurted out, “But how? And why?”

“I’m a research fellow,” Dr Tan replied calmly. “I saw you so quickly because I was primarily interested in your case. Anne mentioned you are a great guy too.”

The compliment really made Marcus light up and he stood up excitedly, all his fears cast aside. Dr Tan followed suit and Marcus realised that the doctor was a head taller than him. The doctor placed his hand on Marcus’ skinny shoulder and gently said in his ear, “Let’s do this. Follow me.”

Dr Tan walked across the room to push open a wooden door, and Marcus followed behind. In contrast to the office, the room was stark and white, but there was a steel table in the centre. Dr Tan held Marcus’ right shoulder and said, “Take your clothes off please.”

Marcus removed his T-shirt, and unbuckled his cargo shorts to reveal an army green briefs. The cold air washed over his skinny pale body that had definitely decreased in size ever since he stopped taking B3. Dr Tan put his clothes aside and held his hand which stunned Marcus and even made him a little hard. It must be the cold air conditioning, he thought. 

Dr Tan led Marcus by the hand to the steel table and gently supported him under his armpits to help him lay onto it. It was cold being nearly naked and the physical touch felt nice. “I need a sperm sample from you, boy, “ muttered Dr Tan. 

Embarrassed on the table, Marcus blurted out, “What?”

“From the sperm I am able to determine many things about your current condition.” Dr Tan placed his hand on Marcus’ crotch and gently rubbed it a little.

Marcus kept silent as blood rushed to his cheeks, he got a little hard from Dr Tan’s gentle massage. Dr Tan put on rubber gloves and pulled Marcus’ briefs a little lower to reveal his cock and balls. The gloves caused a strange sensation as Dr Tan rubbed Marcus’ shaft which caused his penis to grow softer. Frustrated, Dr Tan used his left hand to stimulate Marcus’ nipples, hoping to get the sperm sample for his testing, but he was growing increasingly impatient. 

“Do you want to rub one out instead? I haven’t got all day,” Dr Tan said, sounding miffed.  

One evening, as the sun began to dip below the horizon, Marcus decided to take a longer route home to clear his head, after a stressful day. The cool breeze and city lights provided a soothing atmosphere. He strolled through a park, lost in thought, when he heard a voice call out from behind him.

"Hey, you there! Stop!"

Startled, Marcus turned around to find three menacing figures emerging from the shadows. The street thugs were dressed in tattered clothes and looked like they were up to no good. Fear gnawed at Marcus, and he instinctively stepped back, attempting to gauge his options.

"Empty your pockets, and hand over everything you've got," one of the thugs demanded, brandishing a knife.

Marcus' heart raced, and his mind raced even faster. Reminded of the previous time he had fought thugs to save a harassed lady, Marcus thought, clenching his fists, "I can't let them walk all over me."

As the thugs closed in, Marcus took a deep breath and decided to stand his ground. He had once been a confident and capable fighter; he wasn't going to back down now. Marcus stood tall and spoke with a firm voice, "I don't want any trouble, just let me pass."

The thugs laughed mockingly, sensing Marcus' vulnerability. "Look at this skinny dude! Let’s see what you’ve got in you, huh?"

But this time, Marcus was different. He didn't have the B3 coursing through his veins, but he had a newfound determination to defend himself and prove his strength. As one of the thugs lunged at him, Marcus tried to dodge the attack, but he wasn't quick enough. A punch landed squarely on his jaw, sending him reeling backward. The pain throbbed through his face, but he refused to give in.

Summoning all his remaining courage, Marcus swung back at his attacker, but his movements felt sluggish and weak. His punches lacked the force he had once possessed, and he found himself struggling to keep up with the thugs' relentless assault. Try as he might, Marcus couldn't overpower them without the enhanced abilities of B3. Blow after blow rained down on him, and he felt his strength waning with each hit. The world spun around him as he fell to the ground, defeated and ashamed.

The thugs laughed triumphantly and rifled through his pockets, taking whatever they pleased. As they disappeared into the darkness, leaving Marcus bruised and broken on the cold pavement, he couldn't help but feel a sense of bitter disappointment in himself.

"I'm no better than before," Marcus thought, gasping for breath. "I thought I could handle them, but I was wrong."

As Marcus crawled back to his apartment, battered and bruised, his mind was in turmoil. The humiliating defeat at the hands of the street thugs had shattered his resolve to avoid B3. He felt weak, vulnerable, and desperate for any means to regain his lost strength. With trembling hands, Marcus fumbled around his room to locate the small vial containing the bright green pills. His heart pounded in his chest as he stared at the B3 pill sitting on his palm, knowing the risks and consequences that came with taking it again.

"I can't go on like this," Marcus whispered to himself. "I need to be strong. I need B3."

The memory of the drug's effects surged through his mind, the rush of power, the heightened senses, and the overwhelming confidence. In that moment, taking the drug seemed like the only solution to his current predicament.

Without a second thought, Marcus popped the pill into his mouth and swallowed it, feeling the familiar tingling sensation spreading through his body. Almost instantly, he felt a surge of strength coursing through his veins. The pain from his injuries seemed to dull, and a newfound energy washed over him. His muscles tensed and flexed, and he could feel his reflexes sharpening; it was as if he had tapped into a hidden reservoir of power.

With renewed determination, Marcus got up from the floor and stood tall. His mind was clear, his senses heightened, and the fear that had gripped him moments ago was replaced with an unwavering sense of confidence.

"I won't let them get away with this," Marcus said, his voice laced with determination.

He hurriedly donned his workout clothes and laced up his running shoes. As he stepped outside, he could feel the adrenaline pumping through his veins, urging him to take action. He knew he had to confront the thugs, not out of revenge, but to reclaim his sense of self and assert his strength.

With each step, Marcus felt his body moving with grace and precision. He ran through the darkened streets, following the faint trail left by the thugs. The city seemed alive around him, and he could hear every sound, every footstep, and every heartbeat.

As he closed in on the gang's hideout, he took a deep breath and steadied himself. Quietly, Marcus approached the entrance of the hideout. He could hear voices from within, but he remained undetected in the shadows. With a newfound sense of cunning and strategic thinking, he devised a plan to catch them off guard. With lightning speed, Marcus burst into the room, surprising the thugs who were taken aback by his sudden appearance. He moved with incredible agility, dodging their attacks effortlessly and retaliating with a strength they had never seen before.

The room erupted into chaos as the thugs struggled to keep up with Marcus' enhanced abilities. His punches and kicks landed with precision, and he managed to disarm one of them. The tables had turned, and this time, it was the thugs who felt vulnerable and defeated. Marcus laid blow after blow on one of the thugs, vengeful from the earlier encounter. Blood ran from the thug’s nostrils and he looked unconscious. The other two thugs tried to stop him but to no avail. Marcus sent them flying back with his deft kicks.

“You’re killing him!” One of the fallen thugs yelled from the shadows and this stopped Marcus in his tracks. He angrily turned back to shoot the thug a death stare before running out. He did not even bother to take back all the items the thugs had stolen. He wanted to prove a point and he proved it.

The Attack

After getting back on B3, Marcus healed quickly from his injuries sustained from the incident with the thugs. He also started training rigorously, inspired to be a crimefighter like those he saw on TV growing up. As Dr Li continued to goad him to return to the labs for a checkup, Marcus eventually relented as it was best to have some medical supervision. He was also ashamed to return to Dr Tan, not wanting to reveal he had gotten back on the drug. 

It was a sweltering Tuesday afternoon at Singapore National University, Marcus arrived at the lab right on time and waited patiently for Dr Li. The room was dimly lit, and a sense of unease crept over him. Something felt off but he could not quite place his finger on what it was. As he flicked on his phone, trying to dispel his discomfort by browsing social media, a masked black figure emerged from the shadows. Before Marcus could react, the figure lunged at him with startling speed and agility.

Instinctively, Marcus blocked the punch and engaged in a fierce and intense struggle with the masked assailant. They exchanged attacks, and Marcus' heart pounded as he fought to hold his ground. I’m so glad I had been training, Marcus thought. They continued to grapple, each trying to gain the upper hand. Marcus knew he had been improving his physical abilities, but the masked figure was a formidable foe, seemingly matching him at every turn and he knew one slip up could cost him his life.

As the fight wore on, Marcus's muscles burned with exhaustion, and he could feel his breath coming in ragged gasps. The masked figure, on the other hand, seemed tireless.

"Who are you?" Marcus demanded, between breaths. "Why are you doing this?"

The figure remained silent, focused solely on the fight. It was as if they were testing Marcus's limits, pushing him to his very edge.

Determined not to be defeated, Marcus summoned his last reserves of energy, launching a powerful strike at the masked figure. However, his attack was swiftly countered, and he found himself pinned to the ground, unable to break free.

In that moment, the masked figure removed the disguise, revealing the familiar face of Daniel, his old friend. The shock of recognition washed over Marcus.

"D-Daniel? Why? Why did you do this?" Marcus gasped, his body trembling from exhaustion and surprise.

Daniel's expression softened as he helped Marcus up by grabbing his arm, a mix of relief and remorse evident in his eyes. "I'm sorry, Marcus. We needed to know if you were truly committed to your path of self-improvement. We wanted to see how far you've come."

"You could have just asked," Marcus replied, wiping sweat from his forehead. "Attacking me like this was unnecessary."

Daniel sighed, regret evident in his voice. "I know, but this was the best way to assess your physical state."

At this point, another figure emerged from a hidden door, it was Dr Li who was grinning from ear to ear. “You fought good,” the professor remarked and Marcus felt a mix of annoyance and pride. 

Marcus shook his head, still trying to catch his breath. "You could have talked to me about this, instead of ambushing me. I’ve been training hard, since B3 gave me an additional boost”

"I see that now," Daniel admitted. "I just wanted to make sure you weren't throwing away an opportunity for something great."

"Daniel, I appreciate your concern," Marcus said firmly. "But I’m surprised at your powers. You know, I could easily take down three thugs by myself. Are you on B3 too?”

Daniel kept mum and smirked at Marcus, which irritated him. Marcus still felt hot from the battle and had to fight the urge to lunge at Daniel for his seeming cockiness. They stood there for a moment, both catching their breaths, and the tension between them slowly dissipated under the air conditioning of the lab.

“Now let’s hook you up for some further testing,” Dr Li said delightedly.

The Surprise

The blaring alarm clock shattered the early morning silence, yanking Titan out of sleep's embrace. Groggily, he reached out to silence the intrusive noise, his fingers fumbling for the snooze button. He sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

It was 6 a.m., and another school day awaited him. With a resigned sigh, Titan swung his legs over the side of the bed and stretched, his body seemed to protest the abrupt awakening. He glanced at the digital numbers on the clock’s face and reluctantly got to his feet. 

A typical lazy young man, he doesn’t shower in the mornings and sleeps in his briefs the night before. All he does is ruffle his hair a little before changing into his school uniform. Titan picked up his pre-packed backpack and heads downstairs to gobble down the sandwich his helper had prepared for him.

On the dining table, Titan noticed a green rubber bracelet lying on his bedside table. He hesitated for a moment before picking it up, a sense of intrigue tugging at him. This would look good, he thought. Sliding the bracelet onto his wrist, he felt significantly more awake and he admired the simple accessory for a moment before heading out the door, backpack slung over his shoulder.

The morning breeze graced Titan's face as he made his way to school via public bus. The city was slowly waking up, and the streets were dotted with fellow commuters, each lost in their own thoughts. As he walked, Titan couldn't help but fiddle with the bracelet, rolling it between his fingers. It felt strangely comforting, like a silent companion on his journey.

The school day passed in a blur of classes and assignments, and when the final bell rang, Titan's anticipation surged. Basketball practice awaited him, and he couldn't deny the excitement that bubbled within him.

On the court, Titan's sneakers squeaked against the polished floor as he joined his teammates. The rhythm of the game was familiar, and as he dribbled the ball, he felt an extra surge of energy coursing through his veins. He weaved through his opponents with finesse, his shots finding the hoop effortlessly.

As the sun began to dip below the horizon, Titan's body felt pleasantly exhausted, the exhilaration of practice leaving him with a sense of accomplishment. Something was different today, everything just felt easier. 

When Titan returned home, he buried himself in schoolwork until his dad clicked open the door at 11pm.

"Dad," Titan began, "Do you know who’s bracelet this is? Is it Nicole’s? I found it amongst your keys this morning."

His father slowly looked up, his eyes locking onto the green bracelet. Titan extended his arm, allowing his father to examine the accessory. His father's gaze remained fixed on the bracelet, and his brows furrowed with a mix of surprise and concern.

"Where did you find this?" his father asked, his voice tinged with a sense of urgency.

"On the table," Titan replied, pointing towards the kitchen. "Why? What's the big deal?"

His father's eyes bore into his, his expression a mixture of frustration and worry. "Titan, give me that bracelet."

Confused and slightly alarmed, Titan complied, removing the bracelet from his wrist and handing it to his father. His father's fingers closed around it tightly, and Titan could see a range of emotions within him. After a tense moment, his father finally spoke, his voice a low and controlled tone. "Don’t touch this ever again okay?"

Titan's confusion deepened; his mind raced with questions. "But, Dad, I really like it."

His father's expression remained solemn and he held the bracelet with a tighter grip. "This isn’t a toy."

With that, Titan was left puzzled in the living room as his father headed upstairs, with the bracelet and briefcase in hand. Which made Titan all the more curious. Two days later, Titan sneaked into his dad’s room while he was still at work and replaced the bracelet with a cheap one he bought from the mall. Nobody will ever know, he thought. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.