Male HQ

How to deal with depression? (compiled)

Guest Tough

I suspect that one of my family member is suffering from depression after a series of unhappy events that made that person want to commit suicide but managed to be stopped. Over the years this person has been suffering a myriad of health problems which might be due to aging but I think negative thoughts and depression is one of the main contributing factors too. How does one prevent the body and mind from further deteriorating?

Guest Probably

Yes, when my father was in the hospital for liver problems due to excessive drinking (during his younger days as he was in the construction/property development industry), he was very positive. walking around the hospital chit chatting with the staff.

Towards the end of his stay, the doctor commented that he didn't need surgery because of the recovery his body performed on its own and he said that his positivity and good outlook towards life helped in the recovery.
Doctors always say, stress contributes to low body immunity which causes viruses to attack our body systems. That's why we get cold/flu easily. Stress leads to unhappiness, leads to negativity and all that. In many cases, the mind greatly affects the physical body. Like when a woman would produce breast milk even when she isn't pregnant because she wants to have a child so desperately. So I'd say depression definitely causes more health issues if not treated well.

1 hour ago, Guest Tough said:

I suspect that one of my family member is suffering from depression after a series of unhappy events that made that person want to commit suicide but managed to be stopped. Over the years this person has been suffering a myriad of health problems which might be due to aging but I think negative thoughts and depression is one of the main contributing factors too. How does one prevent the body and mind from further deteriorating?

Not trying to undermine the person's condition here, but perhaps the person is just trying to get attention? And in some cases, perhaps the lesser the attention given, the faster the emotional healing? Whatever the situation may be, you need to take care of your own well-being first, before you can take care of other people. Otherwise, both of you may drown together. 

On 10/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, Guest Guest said:

Not trying to undermine the person's condition here, but perhaps the person is just trying to get attention? And in some cases, perhaps the lesser the attention given, the faster the emotional healing? Whatever the situation may be, you need to take care of your own well-being first, before you can take care of other people. Otherwise, both of you may drown together. 

Ever heard of false pregnancy?

The mind is stronger than you think..

And yes ,the mind does affect the body..

Unfortunately you cant ask someone to think positive...it does not work that way...

Your role is to give moral support..but also, not forsaking your own emotional state..

Everybody does , undergo depression at some point of their lifes.....

And no one is able to truely help a depressive person...

That person needs to come to a realisation that no one can make his/her life better...

No one but ..

that own individual

Edited by yag123123

• 2 months later...
Guest Depress

Another year so quickly going to pass. I realise I have not achieve anything great. Just work n embroiled in workplace politics. I have forgotten or forsaken my dreams. With my age also increases with numbers as the year goes by, I feel like not much time left for me to workout my dreams. 

We just had a thread "How to deal with Christmas depression".

You can look there.  It should make little difference if the depression is caused by Christmas or New Year, or your birthday. 

If you are depressed because you don't have much time left to work out your dreams,  postpone this for later.  You should have still a long life ahead of you.

And in any case, Happy New Year...  with less depression.  :thumb:

3 hours ago, Guest Depress said:

Another year so quickly going to pass. I realise I have not achieve anything great. Just work n embroiled in workplace politics. I have forgotten or forsaken my dreams. With my age also increases with numbers as the year goes by, I feel like not much time left for me to workout my dreams. 

U r so right.  Especially when you spent your time here writing and explaining, you could have save that time to do something meaningful ... even at picking your nose , at least your nose get cleaned 

5 hours ago, Guest Depress said:

Have you been getting laid?

Guest Depress
1 hour ago, lonelyglobe said:

First day of the year go to those toto hot spot to try your luck,  is 5m draw this Friday and if strike,  all the depression will be gone. 

Few thousands already hard to strike, this 5 million is even harder. 

Guest Depress
3 hours ago, auscent said:

Fight on!

Every new year is a new opp to learn new things, adopt new physical exercise, read new topics, travel to new country,....

We cant determine outcome of fate of new year but we can put effort towards it!

Thank you. So tired from working. After work so lazy to do anything. So just play games n surfing n fb. I know all these just an excuses. Cause im a lazy bum. How do I stop procrastinating?

Guest Depress
3 hours ago, Guest Mary said:

U r so right.  Especially when you spent your time here writing and explaining, you could have save that time to do something meaningful ... even at picking your nose , at least your nose get cleaned 

Im so lazy. How ah. I have been getting lazier. Sleep work eat n phone. How do I break the cycle? Honestly I never pick my nose. Cause I find it grossing. I saw ppl just flick their fingers or wipe on their clothes. I rather just go the sink n clean my nose. 

9 hours ago, Guest Depress said:

Who did you vote for?

Open up a new journal for 2020. Travel as much as you can. Make a collage. Forge new friendships. Collate all the stuffs you did in 2020. Write about your experience and feelings. When 2021 comes, open up the journal and youll realise that theres alot of tjings that youve done. Sometimes we just forget about them. Well why worry about the time that has passed right. Age is just a number. Make use of whatever remaining time we have left.

20 hours ago, Guest Depress said:

We all outlived Godfrey Gao into 2020

13 hours ago, Guest Depress said:

Thank you. So tired from working. After work so lazy to do anything. So just play games n surfing n fb. I know all these just an excuses. Cause im a lazy bum. How do I stop procrastinating?

How to stop procrastinating?  To procrastinate is to allow ourselves to postpone something unpleasant in favor of doing or continuing doing something pleasant.

The first step is to realize when we procrastinate, to be aware of it.

The second step is to try to force ourselves to give up the pleasant and change over to the task we should not postpone.  In this, we may usually fail and only succeed sometimes. 

The third step is to PERSEVERE.  To keep trying to fight the procrastination and change to the right task as soon as we realize that we should do it.  Here we may fail very frequently and continue doing what we like doing, ignoring the right task.  If we persevere, we may reduce progressively the failures and increase the successes. In the end, we will reach the control of our actions and reduce the undesirable procrastination to zero. 

It's the same as quitting smoking.  We who did quit successfully we had to pass through countless failures falling back into the habit, until one good time we overcame the habit.

So, what is the most important strength to develop to stop procrastinating (and many other things)?  It is PERSEVERANCE.

Well... most adults willingly sign a contract to lease away most of their waking hours in exchange for money.  They are a part time servant.  Even my dog has more freedom than salarymen.  Depressed? Then they should blame their parents lor.   

Fact 1 Everyone of us is here cos two people decide to kknbccb and have unprotected sex.  And guess what....most of these people didn't plan for the woman to get preggo!  WTF....baby ah?... jialat lor. 

Fact 2 : The parent(s) are the one who unilaterally decide to bring people like Guest Depress into this world, due to their selfish act of horniness.  Unfortunately people like Guest Depress is the one who had to live with the consequence of these couple's actions.

Yeah everyone knows life is suffering, but many don't understand who put them into this circumstance they are in now.  Most parents are cunning and often used brainwash to blame their adult offspring for their offspring's messed up lives, despite the fact that they are the ones who unilaterally bring their offsprings into the world....most of the time without adequate financial capital, or willingness to invest emotionally and intellectually towards the human capital of their children.  

Fact 3 :

A salaryman is hired to make the bosses dream come true.  The former had all but snuffed out his own dream or put it in the backburner, because the top goal and priority is now the bosses, ie the paymaster's.  Guess Depress has discovered/realised that he did not manage to move towards his dreams.  That's cos his useful time and effort has been allocated towards realising his boss's dream.  Thus his own dream can't take off and it's dead cos they haven't been allocated any useful time and effort to grow.

Fact 4 : The modern economy is rigged.  Most people die in the wealth band they were born in.  Unless they want to invest hard work and time in developing their business, wealth and success is almost impossible to come by.  Besides,  most salarymen already leased their time, effort and dreams to their paying bosses.

In conclusion ....Too bad lar.  Maybe next life Guest Depress can come back as the grandson of people like Rupert Murdoch or that Wanda billionaire, and finally can FULLY reclaim 24 hours of their whole life, without leasing it partially to a corporation.  Then only he can move towards achieving his own dreams.  In the meantime,  he's just a tool to realising his boss's dream.

Edited by FattChoy

1 hour ago, FattChoy said:

Well... most adults willingly sign a contract to lease away most of their waking hours in exchange for money.  They are a part time servant.  Even my dog has more freedom than salarymen.  Depressed? Then they should blame their parents lor.   

Fact 1 Everyone of us is here cos two people decide to kknbccb and have unprotected sex.  And guess what....most of these people didn't plan for the woman to get preggo!  WTF....baby ah?... jialat lor. 

Fact 2 : The parent(s) are the one who unilaterally decide to bring people like Guest Depress into this world, due to their selfish act of horniness.  Unfortunately people like Guest Depress is the one who had to live with the consequence of these couple's actions.

Yeah everyone knows life is suffering, but many don't understand who put them into this circumstance they are in now.  Most parents are cunning and often used brainwash to blame their adult offspring for their offspring's messed up lives, despite the fact that they are the ones who unilaterally bring their offsprings into the world....most of the time without adequate financial capital, or willingness to invest emotionally and intellectually towards the human capital of their children.  

Fact 3 :

A salaryman is hired to make the bosses dream come true.  The former had all but snuffed out his own dream or put it in the backburner, because the top goal and priority is now the bosses, ie the paymaster's.  Guess Depress has discovered/realised that he did not manage to move towards his dreams.  That's cos his useful time and effort has been allocated towards realising his boss's dream.  Thus his own dream can't take off and it's dead cos they haven't been allocated any useful time and effort to grow.

Fact 4 : The modern economy is rigged.  Most people die in the wealth band they were born in.  Unless they want to invest hard work and time in developing their business, wealth and success is almost impossible to come by.  Besides,  most salarymen already leased their time, effort and dreams to their paying bosses.

In conclusion ....Too bad lar.  Maybe next life Guest Depress can come back as the grandson of people like Rupert Murdoch or that Wanda billionaire, and finally can FULLY reclaim 24 hours of their whole life, without leasing it partially to a corporation.  Then only he can move towards achieving his own dreams.  In the meantime,  he's just a tool to realising his boss's dream.

Hopefully in 2020 you will realize that making a living as an employee is not such an evil.

Fact 1: We are here because we as sperms were able to fertilize the egg and prevail over the other millions of sperms who didn't make it.

Fact 2: Most of us are enslaved to the parents only until adulthood, and from then on,  WE are responsible for what we make out of our life.

Fact 3: Hopefully our dream becomes to be rightfully employed in the profession of our choice and be successful at our work.

Fact 4: We were extreme lucky to live in a time when monarchy, nobility, cast systems have been abolished, and we can move up without limitations by birth.

Fact 5: For many of us, "the Boss" is also an employee, susceptible to be fired,  and the ultimate authority is a Board of Directors elected by impersonal shareholders.

5 hours ago, FattChoy said:

Fact 3 :

Excuse, Mr Hypocrite, didn't you tell others to go rant to their mama? What are you doing now? Ranting?  You have been told to go look for your daddy. Who's your daddy now, Mr Hypocrite? 

Guest same same lah

Another of these annoying threads started by a troll. Just had this "christmas depression" thread, now New Year depression.

What next? CNY depression????👎

• 5 months later...

Physical health and mental health are linked. They depend on each other. I had depression, I was diagnosed three years ago, but the doctors couldn't help me. I also tried CBD oil, but it didn't help me. I am sure that you personally have never tried Kratom in any form, and therefore you can't talk about its benefits or harms, it really helped me. I know it's addictive, and it's dangerous (not as dangerous as cigarette or drug addiction. However, kratom has a huge number of different useful properties and many people use It even for the treatment of chronic pain. So, don't be so critical from the start, try kratom strains!

Edited by Ann111

• 4 weeks later...

Keep yourself happy more and watch comedies and drama. Go exercise and stay healthy! (Works to produce adrenaline as well as distraction. )

Also eat comfort food at the right time and as always , moderation. 

On 10/12/2019 at 11:11 AM, Guest Guest said:

Not trying to undermine the person's condition here, but perhaps the person is just trying to get attention? 

If this was a one-off event or a series of events over a short term perhaps that view might be correct. But thoughts of suicide and then health problems over years? Sorry, no way can this just be attention seeking.

Guest Bitchy
12 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Depression usually will resulted cannot sleep, and if you cannot have good quality of sleep, you health confirm deteriorate.

Not true.  Some people have shorter sleep hour.  Some people have longer sleep period and still depressed.  Depression can result in crowded places, or the sound of ringing phone in the office,  uninvited quarrel, fighting, or bullying or bitchy bosses and colleagues or constant unexpected surprises, lack of confidence or insecurity, family issues...etc.  Depression is not an overnight problem.  It is progressive (through experiences) , like a wave that started somewhere before it became a Tsunami.  Depression occurs in animal too.  Nobody get depression overnight, just like rome is not build overnight.  Search its starting point through your memory.  I don't think it is current, but past problem. Then dig it out and kill the bitch.

If the patient is prescribed antidepressants, it will definitely roll into another set of health issues. Among the many side effects of anti depressants are dependence and body weight increase. All of us are aware of the problems with overweight: high risk on heart problems, low self esteem etc

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

Guest kaiser75

I found my parents were getting a divorce & my world was never the same again. After sitting me down, my parents broke the news to me. I thought my dad was the toughest man in the world. I had always thought of my dad as a strong man. He was not known as a talker and only spoke when he needed to. He drove a truck and had done so for ten years. Yet there he was, telling me that the institution of love bonding him and my mother had collapsed. His voice was weak as he uttered the words. My parents were getting a divorce. No discussion, no grace period, no ceremony. A new world lay ahead, one that frightened me to my core. I knew I would be truly alone. Then they said that they will be selling the house.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:10 PM, Guest kaiser75 said:

i've been sick most of the time seeing my family getting broken down in the midst of my parents separation.

I am sorry to hear what you are experiencing.  

We get used to our normal life and we can tolerate it with little stress.  But then, something unexpected happens.  This is always a shock, a trying time, and how we handle it can determine if we will GROW from the experience or decay from it.  

Usually our inner strength is passive, we may not know we have it.  But all of us have it in various degrees.  

All of a sudden, your world is chattered by the separation of your parents and the selling of your home.

Be confident that there is inner strength in you that is waiting for you to use.  You just need to discover it.

What can be of help is PERSPECTIVE.  

In these days of covid-19 pandemic tens of thousands of people die from it,  a tragedy for them and their families.

This adds to the thousands of accidental deaths that happen every day.

Thank God your parents are alive and well,  and so are you, unharmed, if you are smart in handling your situation.

This is the most important thing,  and everything else comes far, far below in importance.

(you can help your parents by not letting them know what you are going through,  instead tell them "I am OK with it")

Feel deeply fortunate that you people haven't had an accident,  the house has not burned down, you don't have the virus.

Bring this thought into your mind, and relax realizing that things could be much, much worse.

Time heals.  Start recognizing and using your inner strength by helping your parents (and siblings?) cope with the situation.

Accept that there is a big change in your life, and be confident of your strength to overcome all the obstacles from this change.

There will be ups and downs.  Push up on the ups, and hold off the downs.  More inner strength will come out,

and help you cope during this trying time.  This time will not last forever,  and you will emerge stronger.

• 2 weeks later...

Depression is nasty. Long brisk walking may help the body gradually but surely reinstate its original balance. (Only if your kin is still physically able to) Commit to that daily/regular walk outdoors and not in some cooped-up gym space. The depressed person/body/mind needs that regimental schedule to bring “order” back into his/her life. So if the mind cannot lead anymore, let the body and physical repetitive exercise bring in that order instead and guide the tired mind. It may take a while, but it’ll recover if you keep it regular. The improved blood flow can only bring many benefits and better hormonal balance. I wish you and your kin well and steady recovery. It’s great that you care and are keeping a lookout for your love ones, but caregivers must also be kind to themselves. Best.

Edited by Pubic01

• 8 months later...

It is highly possible that depression is linked to overall health. It is a serious issue and like any other condition, there is medication and treatment available. People should take this condition seriously and seek for help if necessary. This is one of the most important steps, acknowledging there is a problem. At least, that was pretty hard for me. I didn’t know what was wrong with me, until I searched for help online. I found this great platform https://lifestance.com/services/what-is-tms/ that offers support and help for different mental issues or cognitive disfunctions. I truly made a difference for my well-being.

Edited by Paulie

As someone who went through multiple episodes, I dare say that it does affect your physical health. Left untreated, it can also cause permanent  changes to your brain such that it affects your cognitive abilities.

I will also add that highly-pessimistic or neurotic people has a even higher chances of suffering from depression and general ill health. I know because I'm dealing with it almost everyday in my family. 

• 8 months later...
On 12/31/2019 at 10:47 AM, Guest Depress said:

A new year is a new beginning. Cut the negatives and start a new chapter of your life

On 1/1/2020 at 11:35 PM, Guest same same lah said:

Another of these annoying threads started by a troll. Just had this "christmas depression" thread, now New Year depression.

What next? CNY depression????👎

Absolutely, xmas,  new year,  CNY, then valentine, dragonboat festival, ching ming festival and so on.... If one decided to be alone,  then these are just some of the things that u got to face it. If not,  remove all your expectation and find the one.

If u get easily depressed with this festival, think of the day when u had to go for a surgery or operation, all by yourself. 

• G_M changed the title to How to deal with depression? (compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.