Male HQ

How to deal with depression? (compiled)

Guest Tough

This topic is about depression. Christmas, New Year, CNY depression, Valentines Day depression  followed by post CNY depression followed by mid- year depression, followed mid-autumn depression then back to Christmas depression. In short it's about depression all year round. Think better give IMH a visit asap, ok? Hiaz...

Edited by yuquidam

On 12/28/2021 at 7:23 PM, Guest Guest said:

What! Is already coming 2022 .why so fast.i thought it was just 2019 lockdown when pm lee appear on tv.Is the lockdown over? Long time never step out from my flat.

Gosh ! Lock down until u turn kuku

On 12/28/2021 at 4:55 PM, yuquidam said:

This topic is about depression. Christmas, New Year, CNY depression, Valentines Day depression  followed by post CNY depression followed by mid- year depression, followed mid-autumn depression then back to Christmas depression. In short it's about depression all year round. Think better give IMH a visit asap, ok? Hiaz...

And blamed it on my horoscope depression. I am so depress every day, every year, every time I wake up to go work. Sleeping and imagining and fantasizing is a very good therapy or escape from real world. 

• 7 months later...

I observe for the past 3 years, i'm getting depressed on this time of the year. Maybe because i miss my parents and they don't appear to me from the other side. They are both gone a decade back. Then the whole gloomy atmosphere also adds up. So how?

On 8/22/2022 at 10:56 PM, Guest Yuki said:

I observe for the past 3 years, i'm getting depressed on this time of the year. Maybe because i miss my parents and they don't appear to me from the other side. They are both gone a decade back. Then the whole gloomy atmosphere also adds up. So how?

I know exactly how you feel. 

On 8/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, Guest Yuki said:

Think of how proud your parents would feel if they could watch you from the other side and see how you manage to suppress any depression from your memory of them.  Otherwise,  instead of proud they would feel guilty that they are the cause of your depression.

And, even better,  YOU should feel proud if you can free yourself from the fairy tales of ghosts and them appearing "from the other side".   It is very, very improbable that such apparitions have EVER existed.   Not of ghosts, not of saints, not of prophets,  not of divine figures.   There is nothing cheaper than to push ideas of something that cannot be proven. 

I think what's important is to show them that you can take care of yourself, and live life as they would have like you to.

A decade back?? You should be be happy that they got reincarnated already la! Why you 败家子 still want them to come visit you as some 孤魂野鬼? WTF! 

Get a bunch of friends...

Guest Ihearyou

TS, thanks for sharing candidly and vulnerably. I know it's just one of your ways to reach out and hope for a listening ear.

Anniversaries are triggers.

The cliche 'time heals' has some truth in it.

But who's to say 5 years is enough for the grief to heal? Or 10 yrs? 

But as others have mentioned, find true friends who will walk each 7th month with you. Missing your parents as a form of love for them is not wrong. For some of us, it is an important gesture that we still love them by having this feeling of missing them. I think that's why people 扫墓. Not just out of following the norm but as a gesture of continued love.

But your life right now and your life ahead are opportunities for happiness and joy. 

Focus on those you love who are living, and invest in them and bless them with your friendship. You will find yourself similarly blessed by them. Then hopefully the observance of 7th month around you won't affect you so much. If your worldview allows for the existence of an afterlife, then your parents will be happy to see you live a full and happy life. If you don't believe I'm the afterlife, then it's even more crucial to find joy in the here and now.

• 2 months later...

2 years ago I lost my parents due to covid around this time of the year. The Halloween week.  Now the recent news in Korea has added to my depression. I just stay at home and no longer do trick or treat with my nephews and nieces after my parent died.

• 2 months later...

On 12/31/2019 at 10:47 AM, Guest Depress said:

Another year so quickly going to pass. I realise I have not achieve anything great. Just work n embroiled in workplace politics. I have forgotten or forsaken my dreams. With my age also increases with numbers as the year goes by, I feel like not much time left for me to workout my dreams. 

Hmm I usually see New Year as a reminder to me to stay on track about some of the goals or ambitions that I might have forgotten along the way in the past year. On a greater scale of things it helps me with getting back on track on things which I derailed from my initial intents. As for workplace politics its hard to avoid but try not to bring em home I guess find stuff you are interested in to distract yourself from it. If you don't really have a hobby, then expose yourself to try more new stuff even if its once, you'll find something you like.

41 minutes ago, Guest Peacock said:

Please cheer me up. I'm alone again during new year

Omg same here its sorta sad at first but I get busy with myself, went for a run then had a good dinner and play games. I'm still alone but I can treat myself like a king too so it became less sad and lonely.

2 hours ago, MDZY said:

Life is too short to get depress, if you always think u are in a shitty situation, there are people out their who are in a much more worse situation than you. When you cannot even help yourself to push on, no one else can. Probably u should question your existence. 

I agree, especially when you think about what is happening in the Ukraine at present.

The more you thing what going with the world or issue we facing is gonna be ending. Best is to be contented greatful as we still have a job food on our table as well roof over our head. Make yourself happy balance your life and be who you are and know who you are. Don't ever try to compete with others be yourself. Truthfull and loved yourself as well embrace it.

As long we breathing in this world it will bound to have all sort of difficulties we facing regardless you poor or rich. The best try to be contented and greatfull what we have as some people are facing worse than us. Balance your lifestyle and the way you think please yourself and needs. Love yourself amd embraced it before you strong enough to love others.

I think most of us will, at some point, of time, go through difficult periods, often leading to feelings of despair, unhappiness and depression. I went through this kind of sucky feeling from time to time. But I remember there was one time, a good friend gave some pointers which helped a lot:

1. When everything seems bleak and helpless, the only way after that will be up, just keep breathing and move out

2. When every one seems to be picking on you, finding fault on you, stay away from the "limelight" for awhile, keep your mouth shut whenever needed, don't engage in commenting about other folks that are not of your concern

3. Spend some time volunteering, go to a home, clean the toilets, feed the old folks who are not able to eat by themselves, help the nurses to shift the disabled, somehow, in the process, you felt wanted and needed, though you gave your time and effort, you gained a lot more

The last point was what really turned my so-called depression around. I felt I was so fortunate compared to the disabled. One of those that I had helped which till today, I still admire the helpers there a lot is the Red Cross Home for the Disabled : https://www.redcross.sg/get-assistance/red-cross-home-for-the-disabled.html

All the best and wish you have a great year ahead with lots of good health. 

Guest Peterpan

I turned my passion into a business aka career. I may not be a multimillionaire but I enjoy the process of seeing what I love becoming a usable product. My work is not a chore and everyday is like a brand new day to work on something that I find enjoyable and challenging.

If you have turned your passion into a career, its never too late to start.

• 2 months later...
Guest paranoiaboy

I am 41.

Been clinically diagnosed with depression some years back.

Have seen a few psychiatrists, private and public. On medications but my conditions have worsened recently.

I see no purpose in my life.

Should I just die?

Thank you for reading.

• G_M changed the title to How to deal with depression? (compiled)
Guest Anger based depression
6 hours ago, Guest Met said:

How would you know if you are just sad or already suffering from depression?

My depression is anger based on. 

With all my heart, I think nothing beats negativity other than volunteer work. I used to have self doubts, called counselling lines, suicidal thoughts etc. 

Since then I do volunteer work. From here to China, from hospice to legal rights, it deflects self destructive thoughts.

Now it has been over many years of stable thoughts : )

Edited by auscent

Guest I don't veliebe
17 minutes ago, auscent said:

With all my heart, I think nothing beats negativity other than volunteer work. I used to have self doubts, called counselling lines, suicidal thoughts etc. 

Since then I do short term volunteer work. From here to China, from hospice to legal rights, it deflects self destructive thoughts.

Now it has been over 20 years of stable thoughts : )

I tried volunteer once and along the way I developed this thought "why am I volunteering for free to be abused by unappreciative segment of society" while the rich gets richer without doing anything good. Why am I trying so hard to be "good". 

The moment I realised that I'm born to be bad. Society said so. I embrace it. Nowadays I walk this earth caring about only myself. 

Because when it's time for me to go. No one,will care. So why should I? 

Recently a distant colleague just passed away out of the blue. Its the first sudden death among colleague. And its sad to say that nobody really cared. People still joke and laugh at work. Like that dude is nothing. 

That dude is a senior manager some more. That's also when I stopped caring or treating my colleague like a friend. They are nothing. They are just nuisances I have to endure and "work" with so that I can get paid to live a life outside of "work". 

So yeah. I don't care. Or give a shit. That's how I roll. That's how I am. 

So all I see whenever the topic of depression is raised are the familiar responses: 1. the past is the past, and it cant be changed. 2. dwelling on the past is a detriment to one's wellbeing and future plans/aspirations and 3. just think positively and depression will naturally be solved. 

I myself am not clinically depressed so I can't speak on behalf of those who actually have depression, but to me the above 3 points are purely myths that have little theoretical/empirical justification. The past always matters, whether we like to acknowledge it or not. Secondly, we are creatures of habit. We cannot willingly choose what thoughts arise in our minds. If that were the case, then there is no need for our minds to have those memories in the first place. More crucially, the bleakness of the past can serve as a motivating force. Instead of being a burden, I believe we should embrace both the highs and lows of life since our life is defined by the totality of events that happen to us, and the attendant emotions that come along. 

Edited by wuyong

Guest Mel49
On 3/16/2023 at 11:03 PM, wuyong said:

So all I see whenever the topic of depression is raised are the familiar responses: 1. the past is the past, and it cant be changed. 2. dwelling on the past is a detriment to one's wellbeing and future plans/aspirations and 3. just think positively and depression will naturally be solved. 

I myself am not clinically depressed so I can't speak on behalf of those who actually have depression, but to me the above 3 points are purely myths that have little theoretical/empirical justification. The past always matters, whether we like to acknowledge it or not. Secondly, we are creatures of habit. We cannot willingly choose what thoughts arise in our minds. If that were the case, then there is no need for our minds to have those memories in the first place. More crucially, the bleakness of the past can serve as a motivating force. Instead of being a burden, I believe we should embrace both the highs and lows of life since our life is defined by the totality of events that happen to us, and the attendant emotions that come along. 

There should always be closure for the reason of depression from the past before you move on to the future. Otherwise, you'll keep on getting back thinking to what happened in the past. Forgive the people who did wromg to you, forgive yourself. 

For some of us who are suffering from depression, you may want to go to a doctor to request for a usual health checks (without the need to mention about your depression). The health check should include blood test for cancer/thyroid. In there, there is a measurement of the TSH levels. If it is high, one of the symptoms is the triggering of depression. A simple & low dose of thyroxine will help to manage or even remove the depression.

Not applicable to everyone but it is good to note. 

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/23524-thyroid-stimulating-hormone-tsh-levels

Edited by robin

3 hours ago, robin said:

For some of us who are suffering from depression, A simple & low dose of thyroxine will help to manage or even remove the depression.

Depression can be mild or severe, depending on the situation. No single medication can address all of depression's issues. At some point, it can heal naturally without any intervention,  while in other situations, drugs will only provide a temporary reduction in "pain" rather than a lasting cure.

Many people on earth, in my opinion, have experienced depression at some point in their lives, so there is no need to be alarmed. It is a natural aspect of feeling horny, hungry, mad, joyful, sad, etc. Those with PROLONGED depression, which lasts for years, are the main worry and they need to be surrounded by good and  right kind of people to support them, not necessarily nedication. 

Self-inflicted depression is another form, and it's caused by unhealthy habits, exposure to too much news, eating the wrong things, and spending too much time with the wrong people. That won't happen right away, but as the person gets older, the symptoms will start to appear.

Fasting can also heal depression, according to science. Your brain cells became sharper, your body rejuvenated and you felt light and bright.  

In the end, the subject of depression is too wide to identify a specific reason. When Prince Harry's father refused to pay him the millions of dollars he needed to maintain his Montecito mansion, he felt depressed and abused on drugs as compared to an earner who was unable to provide for the needs of dozens hungry children at home? Which one is more sad?  Medication should be the last options and it may hurts your body, especially your heart and brain. 

Edited by Why?

Guest Hustle1690

Dealing with depression can be challenging, but there are several strategies that can be helpful. Here are some tips:

Seek professional help: A mental health professional can provide an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment options for depression. This could include medication, therapy, or a combination of both

Engage in physical activity: Exercise has been shown to improve mood and reduce symptoms of depression. Even light exercise, such as taking a walk, can be helpful.

Practice self-care: Take time to do things that make you feel good, such as taking a warm bath, reading a book, or spending time with loved ones.

Connect with others: Social support can be incredibly helpful in managing depression. Consider joining a support group or reaching out to friends and family for help.

Challenge negative thoughts: Depression often involves negative thoughts about oneself or the world. Challenge these thoughts by asking yourself if they are based on fact or simply assumptions.

Set small goals: Setting achievable goals, such as completing a small task or getting out of bed, can help improve motivation and provide a sense of accomplishment.

Remember that depression is a treatable condition, and seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness. If you or someone you know is struggling with depression, it's important to reach out for support.

10 hours ago, Guest Hustle1690 said:

Dealing with depression can be challenging, but there are several strategies that can be helpful. Here are some tips:

Seek professional help:  Engage in physical activity: Practice self-care: Connect with others: Challenge negative thoughts: Set small goals: Remember that depression is a treatable condition

It depends on each person's personality and strength, lah. You won't experience stress as long as you are physically active. I like to immediately begin my daily spring cleaning after breakfast. It normally takes me a few hours to finish, after which I give myself a pat on the back and start checking this topic to look for fake news and correct the record with the truth. After that, I read a fantastic novel while drinking a cup of my favorite chocolate milk and relaxing next to a flickering candle. Before going to bed, I watered my plants, switched off all electrical devices, and stripped completely naked..and then.....Zzzzzz....Zzzzzzz.

For me, a day is like a second, leaving me with little time to consider the myriad issues facing the globe, such as, um, maybe, sex too?

Guest alanxcgk

Here are a few additional pieces of advice for managing depression:

Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness can help you stay present and aware of your thoughts and feelings without judgment. This can help you manage negative thoughts and emotions more effectively. Consider trying meditation or other mindfulness practices.

Stay engaged in activities: Even if you don't feel like it, try to stay engaged in activities you enjoy or that give you a sense of purpose. This can help you stay motivated and prevent feelings of isolation and loneliness.

Be patient: Recovery from depression takes time and can be a gradual process. Be patient with yourself and celebrate small victories along the way.

Consider alternative therapies: In addition to traditional therapies like medication and talk therapy, there are a variety of alternative therapies that may be helpful for managing depression, such as acupuncture, massage, or yoga. Talk to your healthcare provider about what alternative therapies might be right for you.

Remember that depression is a treatable condition, and with the right treatment and support, you can feel better. Don't hesitate to reach out for help if you are struggling with depression.

Guest Vainpot

I don't know if this will help.

Find something that you are good are and get praised for it.

E.g. Exercise for the physique that gets attention

We all feel happy when praised right? It's not difficult to be good at something, it just takes time and patience.

I've frequently met people who are depressed because of their looks. Yet they don't do something about it. Then you also see those who succeeded on Instagram and see their changes from depressed face to happy face.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.