Male HQ

What film do you think is a masterpiece and why?

Guest Aspin

All about Eve

Treasures of Sierra Madre

12 Angry Men

High Noon

Rear Window

Thanks to 2 years of covid with little travel, I finally watched 250+ Hollywood Golden Age movies. Now I know why some of these gems still stay in the list of top films 70 years after they are made.

After more than 6 years since I went last,  on Saturday I went to the movies.  Because this was a special one-day event where tickets for the movies were down to 3 dollars.  ( don't laugh, I am a frugal guy ). 

I watched the new movie Top Gun (Maverick) with Tom Cruise.  I find this to be one of the many many movie masterpieces. It was filmed on a aircraft carrier with some realism, not pure special effects.  Here I got a feeling of what it must be to be a fighter pilot,  and I was impressed at the military hardware of today.  I sat at the front, with booming sound and wide screen, an experience I don't get by watching movies at home on my computer monitor and TV big screen.   I felt a bit sad about Tom Cruise, who was such an impressive model of youth,  now looking a bit aged.  But he is still very handsome, and he surely takes good care of himself.  A role model.

One movie that has stayed with me is Taste of Cherry.

It’s a quiet minimalist movie on a man who wants to commit suicide. He is looking for someone who can help to bury him. He found one who is willing to do so but not before dissuading him. The other man shared that he had wanted to commit suicide too. He was almost going to hang himself on the tree when a group of kids passed by and asked him for the mulberries on the tree. Upon seeing them enjoy the mulberries, he gave up the thought of killing himself.

It’s the simple little things in life that bring us joy.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, with Jean-Luc Goddard's passing, I have started to revisit his films. My favourite being Le Mépris (The Contempt). The stunning Mediterranean location, the set decor, the score by Georges Delarue, and of course Bardot at her prime are stunning. This film is a movie about making a movie, and there is always this nod and wink from Goddard to the audience, we are like voyeurs watching the dynamics of a relationship as it flows. 

and of course, there was the original movie trailer when it first came out in 1963.

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

On 9/18/2022 at 2:20 AM, sgmaven said:

One of Denis Villeneuve's lesser-known films, but this is a real gem!

Totally agree it’s a gem. Totally don’t agree it’s less known — he got nominated for a Foreign Film Oscar for this one and it was a popular film fest hit.

On 9/18/2022 at 2:20 AM, sgmaven said:

One of Denis Villeneuve's lesser-known films, but this is a real gem!

Totally agree it’s a gem. Totally don’t agree it’s less known — he got nominated for a Foreign Film Oscar for this one and it was a popular film fest hit.

I watched this film many years ago when mental health was a taboo. very challenging for the actors to play those roles. I think the actors in this film does it well. No special effects, no beautiful scenery no wonderful music and movie sets. just a glimpse into the gap of the door noone wanted to see.

On 9/24/2022 at 1:33 AM, HC-B said:

Less known in Singapore, since most people don't go to watch foreign language films.

Слава Україні!

On 9/25/2022 at 4:58 PM, sgmaven said:

Less known in Singapore, since most people don't go to watch foreign language films.

Indeed, but there is a select group of locals who do, usually frequenting at The Projector.

I’d watch any film made and directed by Villeneuve, even if he filmed grass growing!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.