Male HQ

Primary school boy ask to borrow my phone so he can call his mom

Guest Annoyed

Earlier I was walking pass a playground back to my block. It's nearby a primary school. 

Some boys were playing there. 

Then one ran up to me and ask whether he can borrow my phone to call his phone. 

I said no. 

But the boy was like "why? I need to call my mom to tell her to pick me up. Please" 

So I ask the boy what is the number so I call her phone. 

She picked up. 

I scolded her. "hello miss, your son ask me to call you to pick him up. Why you never teach your son manners. Are you going to pay for my phone bill? Its your responsibility as a parent to provide your children a means for them to contact you. Or you come pick him up at certain time. Why is your son my problem? And no you don't try to speak to him. Bye. And don't call me back. "

Then I blocked the number and walked away. 

Am I a Karen? 

Seriously, would you let some random stranger use your phone?

Still annoyed by the audacity 

On 9/13/2022 at 4:42 PM, Guest Annoyed said:

Earlier I was walking pass a playground back to my block. It's nearby a primary school. 

I said no. 

But the boy was like "why? I need to call my mom to tell her to pick me up. Please" 

She picked up. 

I scolded her. "hello miss, your son ask me to call you to pick him up. Why you never teach your son manners. Are you going to pay for my phone bill? Its your responsibility as a parent to provide your children a means for them to contact you. Or you come pick him up at certain time. Why is your son my problem? And no you don't try to speak to him. Bye. And don't call me back. "

Am I a Karen? 

Not a Karen yet. But brewing into one? Sometimes, when we overreact to a situation (that’s not that serious), perhaps it is a sign that something deeper in the heart isn’t resolved? Take it easy.

Edited by Pubic01

I said no. 

She picked up. 

Am I a Karen? 

It is definitely not an appropriate response to such a situation.

You made a decision not to help and yet you also got angry about the whole situation. Why is there a need to be angry in the first place?

Do you think it’s a daily occurrence that the boy goes around borrowing a phone from a stranger to call his mom? No it is not. 

Something might have happened to make him do that on the day you crossed paths. Yet instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt, you chose to think the worst of him and his mother. And you poured anger onto them. But why?

It might be a simple breakdown in communication between the mother and the son that prompted him to approach a stranger for help. Instead of thinking about how it might inconvenience you, think about the worst possible scenario that might happen to the child. Luckily Singapore is a safe place where child abduction is rare.

In your quickness to judge and get angry over a small request, you have seared into the mind of a young boy that seeking help from a stranger incurs his wrath. This goes against the teachings and values that we have been inculcating into our young that we should always be kind and help one another. Now he has learnt the harsh truth that not only people do not help, they will get angry and scold you. So I should avoid seeking help as much as possible.

If you had just politely rejected the boy with a smile, that might be the end of a story. The boy could have just moved on and tried something or someone else. (In fact, if it’s really urgent, and he is near his school, he could always go back to his school to borrow a phone.)

So you might want to consider what you were trying to project by harshly scolding the parent in addition to refusing to help and blocking her number. What reality were you trapped in?

Edited by Startup

I said no. 

She picked up. 

Am I a Karen? 

Such a blady rascal u r! Showing good example to a young boy is important as an adult. Y cant u take it as a help? Knn

I would have gladly done it and I have, earlier. I would rather appreciate the acumen of the boy to seek help rather than being stranded and crying.  and, besides its not a daily occurrence and that too the same boy. at least that would make your complaint legitimate. 

I believe your reaction was quite harsh. Its not an international call and even then don't we have data to call..? what fortune would one lose on mobile bills by this small gesture. Bad !! 

I hope that the boy doesn't get canned by his mom or dad for the anger you showed.. 

Imagine you had a son and he was in this situation....

Edited by clemlad

I said no. 

She picked up. 

Am I a Karen? 

Since when is there still a fee for Singapore calls from the handphone?

Don't most contracts provide for XYZ of free minutes talktime per month???

Your issue sounds so terribly petty.

Instead of calling you could have just looked  whether the other number has a whatsapp and then contact her via whatsapp if the money was the issue.

What I wonder much more is, why was a Primary School boy unattended by any persons at the playground?

That rings more alarm bells to me about recklessness of parents...

But no, you waste your time in elaborating on the kid and the mum... asking for a short call from your phone...

I also wonder what you will do if some person seriously needs help. Will you also say: This is not my issue and the person will die in front of you?

I only can imagine one country's citizens who could react this way...

Edited by singalion

I said no. 

She picked up. 

Am I a Karen? 

Wow. Thats a good response. U still did many good stuff.. u helped the boy and also highlighted to his parents their upbringing standards. Kudos!

I said no. 

She picked up. 

Am I a Karen? 

It’s your time of the month? 

On 9/13/2022 at 3:42 AM, Guest Annoyed said:

I said no. 

She picked up. 

Am I a Karen? 

You could have reacted in different ways, like it has been suggested already.  

But, if you don't have much time to think on the spot and you don't want to do it, you are morally fine resorting to a quick  "compassionate lie":   " Sorry,  I don't have a phone with me ",  or " my phone is not working ".

I said no. 

She picked up. 

Am I a Karen? 

This has to be a joke. If this really happened then you’re an asshole.

• 3 months later...

I would help the kid in a heartbeat but the mother should be reminded for being careless/ not ensuring the kid has a phone or means to reach her out.

On the other hand, I will be wary if an able-bodied and mentally sane adult approached me to borrow my phone for any reasons.

Edited by rayzzz

love, no hate 

• 9 months later...

Hey Come on! He had called that bitch to fetch her own kid already, give him a break.  It is his phone. He doesn't have to be blackmailed into doing something he's not comfortable doing. It was also good opportunity to teach that boy a lesson, make arrangement back home the next time. Nobody is responsible for his safety except himself.

15 hours ago, earth_tone said:

Hey Come on! He had called that bitch to fetch her own kid already, give him a break.  It is his phone. He doesn't have to be blackmailed into doing something he's not comfortable doing. It was also good opportunity to teach that boy a lesson, make arrangement back home the next time. Nobody is responsible for his safety except himself.

dumb as fuck and nine months late 

I said no. 

She picked up. 

Am I a Karen? 

your response to his mum... to me ... is a reflect of your poor character

1. "Why you never teach your son manners" 

Why do you assume that the mother hasn't taught her son manners? Based on the limited information you've provided, the young boy has used the word "please." Also, I fail to see how requesting you to call his mother can be considered bad manners.

2. "Are you going to pay for my phone bill?" 

It was your decision to use your phone and make the call. You could have walked away, but you chose to assist, so why the fuck do you anticipate any reciprocation.

3. "Why is your son my problem?"

emmmm, it doesn't have to be? 

4. "Bye. And don't call me back."

BITCH! YOU DIDN'T EVEN TELL THE MOM HER KID'S LOCATION. WHAT THEN WAS THE PHONE CALL FOR? OF COURSE YOU ARE A FUKCING KAREN

I hope you are just trolling. Are you aware of the negative impact your reaction had on that child?

Edited by ctrl

• 1 month later...

I said no. 

She picked up. 

Am I a Karen? 

One words from me on your story "Jiak Ark" in dialect :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.