Male HQ

How to start a taboo topic with parents on how they want their funeral to be arranged in future.

wanton_mee

I always wanted to ask my parents but don't know how to start.  I start thinking already.

3days at parlour.

Buddhist funeral

Cremate and to be scatter at the new gardens burial site.

No plan to inform those not in contact relatives. 

不要因为任何事任何人,把自己的笑容也賠了,好好的经营自己,为自己而活...

Guest Family is overrated
On 9/29/2022 at 1:05 PM, wanton_mee said:

I always wanted to ask my parents but don't know how to start.  I start thinking already.

3days at parlour.

Buddhist funeral

Cremate and to be scatter at the new gardens burial site.

No plan to inform those not in contact relatives. 

They will be dead. Its up to you how you want to throw the funeral. Not them. 

If they want to plan their own funeral. Ask them to write it out and give clear instructions and also leave the money deposit to cover all expenses. 

If they have a religion, just follow.

Else just do a non religious wake. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

On 9/30/2022 at 2:13 AM, fab said:

If they have a religion, just follow.

Else just do a non religious wake. 

Hmmm...   If they have a religion,  their status in the afterlife should not vary depending on how plain or religiously fancy their funeral was.

On 9/29/2022 at 1:05 PM, wanton_mee said:

I always wanted to ask my parents but don't know how to start.

What if you start by telling your parents how you would prefer your own funeral, and ask them what they think.

What your parents think may shed some light on how they would prefer their funeral to be held.   At the very least this might lead to the opening you need to discuss your parent's funeral planning.

But I do accept the problem would the to find an opportunity to start telling your parents your own funeral plans. 

I hope this helps. 

Some parents nowadays even tell you how they want their funeral to be like when they passed on, no need even you ask them. Like my parents, they even bought a niche for themselves, and want to be place in that columbarium. Also tell me how many days they want their funeral wake, the location of the wake and even the colour of the coffin they want.

On 10/3/2022 at 2:54 PM, wanton_mee said:

I ever talk abt it with my mama. She said anything lo but she told me dun talk abt this with father. 

I suppose, under these circumstances, if your father passes before your mother, you would consult her on the rites.  If she is undecided at that point in time, you and your siblings will have to make the decisions.  If the siblings cannot agree on which rites to perform, that's when the problems start.  The family will fragment after that.  

If your father passes after your mother, then again, you and your siblings will have to make the decisions and do what you all feel is right.   

Best time to ask is after attending a wake together. You will likely hear them comment on the arrangement - Number of days, types of coffin (open close), setup and layout including colour scheme, cremation or burial, type of costume, photo (younger older self) etc. not difficult to know their preference if you keep a lookout at the wake itself. They might even be the ones to start off the conversation.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:12 AM, mate69 said:

Must try to make sure important issues like LPA and AMD are settled and set aside

I think this is still the most important

At least must have a will and LPA done up. 
Anyone passing without these, the people left behind will need to settle a lot of stuff and it’s costly. 
My mum told us how what to do with her after she passed on. 
Such kind of taboo conversation is important and need to take place somehow, while that person still has a clear mind.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.